BASHAM, DAVID WALKER
David Walker Basham, is a prominent physician and surgeon at Wichita, Kan. A native of Breckenridge county, Kentucky, he was born in 1854, and is a son of Nathan Claybourne and Helen Josephine (Haddock) Basham. His maternal grandfather was a physician, and his father a business man and farmer. He had good educational advantages and after finishing his preliminary studies was graduated from the Kansas City Medical College in 1884. Going to Rich Hill, Mo., Dr. Basham practiced his profession there one year, after which he pursued a course of study in the University of New York, where he was graduated in 1890. He then spent some time in Philadelphia in practice and research and later continued his studies in surgery in Paris, France. Dr. Basham returned hither in 1895 and made his home at Neal, Kan., till 1902, when he settled at Wichita, spending much of the interval in Philadelphia and New York. Dr. Basham is widely known as a learned and skillful surgeon and maintains a suite of office at Nos. 205, 207 and 209 East Douglas avenue, Wichita, and is one of the surgeons practicing in St. Francis Hospital. He is also active in fraternal and social organizations, being a Mason of high degree, and holding membership in the Country, the Riverside and the Commercial Clubs, and belonging to the Chamber of Commerce of Wichita.
In 1902 Dr. Basham married Miss Katherine Genevieve, a daughter of Francis and Honora Dailey, formerly of Eureka, Kan., but at that time residents of Helena, Mont., and they have two children names, respectively David Walker Jr aged four and one-half years, and Francis Claybourne, aged one year. (History of Wichita and Sedgwick County, Kansas : past and present, including an account of the cities, towns and villages of the county; Chicago: C.F. Cooper & Co., 1910, Page 715)
BAUGHMAN, H. C.
H. C. Baughman, of Cheney, Kan., a veteran of the Civil War, was born December 4, 1837, in Stoverton, Muskingum County, Ohio. His parents were John Baughman and Sarah (Stover) Baughman. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and his mother of Virginia, her family belonging to the F. F. V.'s. The elder Baughman died in 1879 and his widow in 1899. H. C. Baughman obtained his early education in the public schools of Ohio. In 1860 he removed to Illinois, where he taught school for four months. He then enlisted in Company F, Fifty-ninth, Illinois Infantry, as a private, at Hazel Dell, and went to the St. Louis arsenal, where the regiment remained three weeks for equipment. It was then sent to Booneville, Mo., and was in the Fremont campaign to Springfield, Mo. The regiment was then transferred from the Department of Missouri to the Cumberland, and participated in the battles of Perryville, Ky., Stone River, the Tullahoma Campaign, the battle of Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain and Mission Ridge. It was then sent on a forced march to the relief of the siege of Knoxville, and after this was sent back to Chattanooga to join the Atlanta campaign under Sherman. When the latter started on his March to the Sea the Fourth Corps and Twenty third Corps were started back to Nashville, Tenn under General Thomas. The Fifty-ninth Regiment was in the Fourth Army Corps, in which Mr. Baughman was enlisted and participated in the last battle of the war on December 15 and 16, 1864, at Nashville, Tenn. In the following June the whole corps ws sent to Texas under General Stanley and mustered out of the service at New Braunfels, Tex., December 8, 1865. The regiment kept together from June 24, 1861, to January, 1866, when it was paid off in full at Springfield, Ill. Mr. Baughman entered the service as a private, became second sergeant August 6, 1861; orderly sergeant January 1, 1862; second lieutenant October 15, 1862, and captain February 15, 1864. After his term had expired Mr. Baughman returned to Casey, Ill. On March 20, 1866, he was married to Miss Rosannah Frazier of Zanesville, Ohio, a daughter of William Frazier, of that city. He then returned to Illinois and located in Jasper county, where he was engaged in the milling business three years and in farming three years. He then went to Piper City, Ill., where he conducted a general store up to 1878. In that year he removed to Kansas and located in Reno county, where he engaged in farming on a 160-acre farm which he owned. He was postmaster in Mona for twenty-three years. In 1901 he moved to Cheney and retired from active business. Mr. Baughman built himself a handsome residence in Cheney which is kept up in first-class style and still owns a farm in Reno county. He and his wife are prominent in church circles, both being members of long standing in the Methodist Episcopal Church. John W., one of his three living children, is a large land owner in Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska and Wyoming, with offices at Liberal, Kan., and Plains, Kan. Harry S. lives on a farm in Grant county, Oklahoma, and Jesse G. lives at Plains, Kan., and is engaged in the automobile business. (History of Wichita and Sedgwick County, Kansas : past and present, including an account of the cities, towns and villages of the county; Chicago: C.F. Cooper & Co., 1910, Pages 715-717)
BEATTY, CHARLES W.
Charles W. Beatty, of Wichita, Kan., head of the Beatty Realty Company is a native of the Keystone State, having been born at Huntingdon, Pa., in 1868. His parents were Elliot D. and Susanna (Lefferd) Beatty. His education was obtained in the public schools and the Southwestern Business College of Wichita. He came to Kansas with his parents in 1879, when only eleven years old, and has ever since been a resident of Wichita. After completing his education he entered the service of the Crystal Ice Company, with which concern he was connected sixteen years. After leaving the ice company he was with the Badger Lumber and Coal Company for a time, having charge of the plant. With Rodolph Hatfield he had charge of the ice output of the Dold Packing Company from 1896 to 1902. In the years following he was for a time connected with the Wichita Ice and Cold Storage Company, and in the flour agency business at the corner of Santa Fe and Louis streets. In 1908 Mr. Beatty established the Beatty Realty Company, the firm members being Charles W. and his brother, J. A. Beatty. The offices of the firm are at No. 122 South Market street, Wichita. Mr. Beatty is a member of the Chamber of Commerce.(History of Wichita and Sedgwick County, Kansas : past and present, including an account of the cities, towns and villages of the county; Chicago: C.F. Cooper & Co., 1910, Page 717)
BENNETT, W. E.
W. E. Bennett, photographer, of the Cheney, Kan., was born April 1, 1864, in Watertown, N. Y. His parents were A. J. and Mary (Greneson) Bennett. The father was a native of New York and the mother a native of Switzerland. On the paternal side the family traces its descent back to Scotch, English and Irish ancestors. The education of W. E. Bennett was acquired in the common schools of Michigan. In 1866, when W. E. Bennett was two years old, his parents left New York and moved to Neenah, Wis., and afterwards moved to Newaygo county, Michigan, in 1868, where the father homesteaded eighty acres and resided on his farm from 1870 to 1882. He then bought land in Erie township, Sedgwick county,and January 2, 1884, came to Kansas, his family coming in 1885, where he lived up to the time of his death in 1904. Mrs. Bennett died in Michigan in February, 1881. They had a family of ten children, viz.: A. J., Jr., W. E., Mrs. Lillian M. Gawthrop, Mrs. Bertha R. Sellon, Inz R. (deceased), Mrs. Jennie G. Prown, Mrs. Adelia Pierson, John N., Mrs. Vira Althoff and Mrs. Myrtle Hart. A. J. Bennett was a prominent citizen wherever he resided. He acted as Justice of the Peace in Erie township for six years, and he filled the same position when he lived in Michigan. He was a public spirited citizen, and a member of the official board of the Wichita State Fair, in which he always took much interest. He was a close student of history and well posted on current topics. Fraternally he was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and in politics he was a Republican. He was a devout member of the Methodist Church in his youth, but on coming to Kansas joined the Christian Church. In early life he learned the trade of a blacksmith, and while in Neenah, Wis., conducted a shop of his own. Afterwards he took up the carpenter's trade, in which he became proficient, and helped to build the roundhouse and bridges on the line of the Grand Rapids & Indiana railroad and also on the Chicago, West Michigan & Lake Shore railroad. W. E. Bennett came to Kansas in 1885 and took up a claim in Grant county, which he afterwards disposed of and came t o Sedgwick county, where he took up his old business as a photographer, which he had learned in Michigan. In 1888 he entered the gallery of his brother-in-law in Cheney, and in 1904 bought the gallery and still conducts the same, turning out work equal to that which can be obtained in any of the large cities of the country. Mr. Bennett is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Subordinate Lodge, No. 254, and of the Twenty-Ninth Encampment at Wichita. He is a Republican in politics. He was married to Miss Edna S. Herrington, of Oklahoma, on November 9, 1904, in Wichita, Kan., at the residence of Judge Enoch. Of this union two children have been born, viz.: Myrtle Edna, four years old and Walter Francis, one year old. (History of Wichita and Sedgwick County, Kansas : past and present, including an account of the cities, towns and villages of the county; Chicago: C.F. Cooper & Co., 1910, Pages 717 & 718)
BIRD, JOSIAH M.
Josiah M. Bird, of Wichita, was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, on July 27, 1846. He is a son of Jonathan and Nancy H. (Downing) Bird, his father being a native of Pennsylvania and his mother of the state of Delaware. The great-great-grandfather of Josiah M. was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and fought under Washington. The father of Josiah M. in his early life was a Whig and afterwards became a Republican to which political faith he adhered the remainder of his life. He was known as an upright man in the community and lived an honored and useful citizen until his death in 1870. His wife died on February 7, 1866. Josiah M. Bird came from Ohio to Sedgwick county, Kansas in the fall of 1884, and located in Minneha township where he bought 110 acres of land in Section 26 and moved on the same in 1885. He was married on January 15, 1873, in Muskingum county, Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth A. Downs, a daughter of Isaac and Rebecca Downs, of the same county. Three children have been born of this union, two of whom are now living Harry S., born October 26, 1873, now a clerk in the postoffice at Wichita, Kan., and Chalmer Downs, born August 8, 1876, who now lives on his farm (joining his father's). Mr. Bird is a successful farmer, and he and his wife are faithful and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They have both taken a deep interest in the Sunday school and both have been teachers in it for years. In politics Mr. Bird is a Republican. (History of Wichita and Sedgwick County, Kansas : past and present, including an account of the cities, towns and villages of the county; Chicago: C.F. Cooper & Co., 1910, Pages 718 & 719)
Jacob Bissantz is known as one of the public-spirited citizens of Wichita, Kan., and one who has taken an active interest in all that pertains to the upbuilding of the city. He was born March 19, 1846, in Germany, his father being Adolph Bissantz. It was not until 1868 that Mr. Bissantz came to the United States. While in Germany he had learned the trade of a tinsmith, and this he followed for a time after arriving here. His first location in America was at Long Island, but he only remained there a short time when he concluded that the West was the field for his energies and he migrated to St. Louis, Mo. After a short stay in the Missouri metropolis Mr. Bissantz moved to Sedgwick county, Kansas, where he homesteaded 160 acres of land and proved the same up to the completion of his title. In the meantime he became interested in various business enterprises in Wichita. He conducted for himself a restaurant for two years and afterwards formed a partnership in the tire and hardware business with J. R. Butler under the firm name of Bissantz & Butler. The partnership was dissolved and Mr. Bissantz continued the business for himself until he again formed a partnership with George Mathias under the name of Bissantz & Mathias. This firm continued in business for seven years, when its dissolution took place, Mr. Bissantz continuing the business alone for four years and then retiring. Mr. Bissantz has always been much interested in the growth of Wichita and has taken a keen pride in the same. In all matters pertaining to the government of the city he has also taken a great interest, and has been a member of the school board for four years. Politically he is a Republican and has been active in the affairs of his party. He belongs to a number of fraternal orders, among which may be mentioned the Knights of Pythias, the Knights and Ladies of Security, Knights of Honor, Sons of Herrmann, and Woodmen of the World. Mr. Bissantz was married August 1, 1869, to Albertina Kammerer, who died February 11, 1905. Of this union four children were born, of whom two are living: Lena Albertina and Oscar Rudolph. (History of Wichita and Sedgwick County, Kansas : past and present, including an account of the cities, towns and villages of the county; Chicago: C.F. Cooper & Co., 1910, Pages 719-720)
Earl Black, of the firm of Blake & Ayers, lawyers of Wichita, Kan., with offices at No. 451 Bitting Block, is a native of Iowa, having been born at Bedford, that state, on September 11, 1866. His parents were Daniel and Eliza A. (Akers) Blake, who moved from Indiana to Iowa in the '40s, and from the Hawkeye state to Nodaway county, Missouri, in 1880, and to Kansas in 1884, where they located at Kingman. Both are now deceased. Earl Blake came to Kansas with his parents, entering Garfield University in 1889. His parents came to Wichita in 1892, and he has ever since resided in the city. He was educated at the public and high schools of Hopkins, Mo, and Kingman, Kan., and at Garfield University Law School, from which he was graduated in the class of 1891. Mr. Blake was admitted to practice at the Sedgwick county bar in 1891, and entered the employ of the law firm of O'Bryan & Gordon, and continued with them during the years 1891 to 1894, inclusive. He was Assistant County Attorney during the years 1895 and 1896, and a partner of John D. Davis from 1895 to 1898. He then formed a partnership with William A. Ayers under the firm name of Blake & Ayers, which partnership still continues, and in which he is now also associated with his brother, Walter A. Blake. During the years 1903 to 1904 Mr. Blake was City Attorney of Wichita. Mr. Blake is a thirty second degree Mason. He has also filled all the offices in Warwick Lodge, No. 44, Knights of Pythias, and has been a trustee of the same for fifteen years. He is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and of the Fraternal Aid Association. Mr. Blake was married in 1894 to Miss Minnie M. McKibben, the City Librarian of Wichita. Of this union four children have been born, viz.: Harold L., Marjoie L., Ralph B. and Louise M. Blake. (History of Wichita and Sedgwick County, Kansas : past and present, including an account of the cities, towns and villages of the county; Chicago: C.F. Cooper & Co., 1910, Page 720).
Copyright © 2007 to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Sedgwick County host & all Contributors
All rights reserved