Yesterday morning Arthur McManony filed a complaint in the police court, charging Edwin Edwards with rifling his pockets of $17 in money on Thursday night.  It seems that these two young men, in company with the latter's brother, arrived in the city Thursay, and late at night took lodging at Farmers and Drovers' hotel, where the theft is alleged to have been made.  The three men slept in the same room, the two brothers occupying one of the beds and MaManony the other.  The latter swore in his complaint that his pockets were picked and the moeny taken while he was asleep.  Yesterday morning Edwards was arraigned before Judge Glenn, who upon hearing the case, decided that the boys had been out on a "lark" until a late hour the previous night, and as there was no evidence of guilt establisihed against Edwards, he was discharged.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Saturday ~ May 24, 1884)

Thos. Kelley, Thos. Jones, and Wm. Estill, charged with being intoxicated, were arraigned in the police court yesterday.  They pleaded guilty, and were each fined $3 and costs, which Kelley and Jones paid, but Estill, not having the requisite cash, was committed.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Sunday ~ May 25, 1884)


A young lady giving her name as Birdie Willis, sought and secured lodging at one of our leading hotels Thursday evening, under such circumstances as to raise a suspicion as to whom and what she was.  Upon being questioned she told the landlord that she was an orphan, and that the gentleman accompanying her was her brother, and that she was but fourteen years old.  The hotel man fearingn all was not right, placed her in the room with the chambermaid.  Later in the evening she told her roommate that the man with her had brought her from El Dorado, and promised to marry her.  She then went out on the street to find her intended, but her dress was of such a nature as to attract attention, and she was taken in charge by the marshal and lodged in the calaboose.  Friday morning she was arraigned in the police court, but no charge being preferred, was discharged.  The officers afterward learned that she had been placed on the reform farm, at El Dorado, but had gotten away and come to this city.  Shew as put aboard the El Dorado train by the officers Friday night, and advised to return.  She is rather a young and comely girl, not overly intelligent, and if she has any friends it is their duty to look after her, before she has gone too far to retrace her steps.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Thursday ~ May 29, 1884)

Tennie Prevo and Jennie Gifford, two young women who have been running a bawdy house on Main street, were arrested last Saturday, and on being brought into the police court, were ach fined $10 and costs.  This, however, did not dissuade them from continuing to keep "open house" much to the annoyance of the good people living in that part of the city, and so yesterday they were again arrested and arraigned before his honor, Judge Gleen, who imposed a $10 fine and costs on each, but as they promised to vacate their present quarters, he suspended execution of sentence for three days, so as to give the girls a chance to either leave town or move into the suburbs.  It would seem as though some steps might be taken to force these courtesans to leave the city limits, and not engage in open prostitution beneath the noses of some of our best families.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Tuesday ~ June 17, 1884)

Lottie Williams pleaded guilty to the charge of lewdness in the police court yesterday, and was taxed $10, which she paid.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Thursday ~ June 19, 1884)


"Oh, it was pitiful,
Hear a whole city full
Homes they had none."

One of the saddest commentaries on the frailties of life, one of the saddest pictures of its darkest side, was seen at the police court room in this city yesterday morning, where three girls, mere children were arraigned for lewdness and disorderly conduct.  Three little girls, homeless and victims of the brute in man, the youngest but ten and the eldest only fifteen years old, brought to face a crowd of loungers---the youngest with wondering eyes and the others with cheeks crimsoned with a shame they could scarcely comprehend.  We will give no names, but two of the girls are sisters whose mother left them without anything to eat and little to wear.  All three had been found huddled together in the corner of an elevator near the railway track.  The tale of these young tender lives as told by themselves was sadder than any words, because neither their own words nor any language could express what some, who saw their lips move and watched the conflicting emotions of their faces and eyes, felt.  Poor little outcasts, how they plead for a home---for tender love and protection.  When we think of these and such as these, then, of the hypocrisy and deceit of this world, the fair pretence and plausible gloss of society---of men and women banded together in virtue's name, spending their time, breath and thinner souop, in a showy ostentation to save a debauchee steeped in the filth of his own degraded appetites and passions, when a helping hand and a sympathetic word might, and would, save to a life of virtue and usefulness helpless little ones like these, our soul cries out for justice.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Wednesday ~ June 25, 1884)

Zoe Miller and Stella Parker paid $10 each into the police court yesterday for the priviledge of remaining inmates of bawdy houses.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Friday ~ July 4, 1884)

Mary DeWitt yesterday caused a warrant to be issued for the arrest of Barney Hudson, whom she charges with disturbing the peace.  Barney will have a trial in the police court today.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Wednesday ~ July 9, 1884)

"Piety hall" does not appear to be just such a place as the name seems to imply, at least so thought Policeman Snyder and Richie when they entered there at four o'clock yesterday morning.  They were evidently not expected, as the occupants of the "hall" were not up.  But Snyder cared little for that, so he opened the door and walked in and was followed by Richie.  After their entrance it didn't take more than an hour for the sleepers to wake up, and as oon as they did they were taken in charge by the officers who thought that as they were trying to swindle the probate judge out of marriage license fees, the best thing that could be done would be to take them before the police judge.  They gave their names, when brought into the police court yesterday forenoon as J. W. Hedrick, Mary Cross, Lulu Willard and J. C. McMillan.  Acting Police Judge Hobbs after hearing the case assessed each of them $20.00, which McMillian paid, but the other three not having the requisite amount of funds were taken to the cooler, where they are now residing.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Saturday ~ July 12, 1884)


A pitiable and yet disgusting sight might have been seen in the police court Friday morning.  It was a mother and three children, the eldest a girl of about nineteen and the youngest a little boy of some seven or eight years old.  The mother gave her name as Mrs. M. J. Quillen.  She said that she was a widow, and that she and her oldest daughter had been working in various hotels about the country.  They were very poorly clad, the shoes of the oldest girl butilly protecting her feet from the ground.  They came to this city no one knows from just where, but Wednesday night they were all found in a certain elevator of the city where they had taken up their quarters for the night, and where the mother and oldest girl had made arrangements to receive the company of two men.  They were discovered by the police, and taken to jail where they passed the night.  On being arraigned in the police court the mother made no attempt to cover the shame of herself and daughter, and in response to the questions asked by the judge, spoke in the most careless and blasphemous manner of the life they had led and were yet following.  She said that they had friends in Emporia, and that if the court would provide herself and family with transportation they would leave Wichita.  To make the best of a bad matter, they were put on board the Santa Fe train last evening and started in the direction of the Neosho Gotham, where they will probably arrive in safety.  It seems almost impossible that a mother could become such a wreck as to look calmly upon a daughter givento a life of shame, and much less be a partner with her in crime, and that too under the noses and in the presence of two innocent little children.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Friday ~ July 18, 1884)

John H. Brown, Pete Lafflin and Tom Conners were brought in the police court yesterday morning charged with being drunk.  They were found guilty and fined $3 and costs each, but in default of payment of the same Brown was committed, Tom Wallace was arrested for being drunk and disorderly.  The judge fined him $5 and cost which he could not pay, hence he was returned to the cooler.
(Wichita Daily Beacon ~ Wednesday ~ September 17, 1884)

Jas. Dunn, Thomas Lyman and Pete McCush were up before the police court yesterday morning, and were fined for a p.d., which means a plain drunk.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Thursday ~ September 18, 1884)

Yesterday afternoon about 4 o'clock a man giving his name as John Thompson was detected in the act of stealing a pair of shoes from off a dry goods box in front of the Golden Rule store.  He was promptly taken in chargo by policeman Brasier, who lodged him in the cooler.  This morning on being arranged in the police court he pleaded guilty to the charge, and in default of money to pay his fine was committed to the county jail for forty days.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Saturday ~ September 27, 1884)


The following business was transacted in the police court this morning:

E. Spencer was fined $10 and costs for firing a revolver in the city limits.

John Hayes, charged with petty larceny, was sentenced to the county jail for thirty days.

Thos. Collins, Henry Grant, James Scarce and J. H. Smith were arraigned for being drunk, and were each fined $3 and costs, aggregating $20.  Henry Grant paid his fine and was discharged.

Thos. Lynch was brought in on the charge of being suspicioned fo complicity in the recent burglaries that have taken place.  Lynch said that he was from Comanche county, was a gambler by profession, and that he would leave town before sund own if permitted to do so.  He was released upon this promise.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Thursday ~ October 30, 1884)


Judge Glenn has been doing a land office business in his court for the past two days.  Yesterday he fined seven liquor sellers $100 each; two gamblers $50 each, and some plain drunks the usual sums.  The receipts for the day footed up $814.

Six saloon men paid $100 each today, making the receipts since yesterday morning $1,326.  At 3 this p.m. a delegation of painted pullets from the Red Light were taken to the court, and they will contribute probably $10 more.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Wednesday ~ February 4, 1885)


In the police court today a woman of the town paid the usual ten dollars.

The case of "Boston," charged with stealing a watch from Frank Purcell, was not brought up, owing to the fact that Purcell failed to prosecute.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Friday ~ June 5, 1885)


In the police court yesterday afternoon, John Riley paid $3 for indulging in too much tanglefoot; Alex Wood, for quarreling and resisting officer, $15; two other colored gentlmen $5 each.  Dan Thomas, Robert Thomas and Wm. Curd, colored, charged with gambling, were dismissed, as the testimony was not suffiicient to convict, although the judge believed them guilty.  Mrs. E. M. Packer, charged with moving a frame house to another lot in violation of the fire limit ordinance, was adjudged not guilty of a palpable violation of the law, and was dismissed.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Friday ~ June 26, 1885)

John Hanlan, who was before the police court yesterday for being intoxicated, and who was discharged on the promise of keeping sober and going to work, was up again today for a similar offense.  Judge Glenn fined him $3 and costs, ordered the officer to give him his breakfast and take him to the cooler.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Friday ~ July 3, 1885)

Sam Heaton, the colored runner of the Occidental hotel, was before the police court this morning for carrying concealed weapons.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Wednesday ~ July 8, 1885)


Mr. McCarty paid five dollars into the city treasury this morning for indulging in the flowing bowl.  Officer Heineke made the arrest.

Heineke also pulled seven or eight scarlet women whose cases had not decided at a late hour this afternoon.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Saturday ~ July 18, 1885)


"George May, and you, Thomas Harris, are accused of stealing a shal from Mrs. Simmons.  Your offense is great.  If you had been brought here for stealing a wagon load of ice or a can of ice cream, this weather, when the mercury is dancing away up among the nineties, I might be induced to let you go.  But to steal a shawl!  Why, it is simply outrageous.  You might jsut as well have stolen an overcoat or a pair of Arctic overshoes.  How do you plead, Mr. Harris?"

"Guilty, sir.  You see I was celebratin' with the boys and took a little too much bug juice, and then I stole the shawl; but I intended to bring it back, sir, as soon as I got sober.  But before I got sober this coon here, George May, stole it from me, so you see, he is the thief and not I."

George May, the colored partner of Harris, then gave his evidence.  Said he:

"Mister judge, dat Harris done tole you a lie, sah.  He stole dat shawl hisself, 'deed he did.  He tuck dat ar garment, kase I seed him.  Den he guv hit to me, ter pawn and we was agwine todervide de money.  Dat's de main pints in de case.  Well, when I went to the pawn shop de cop done took us, and here we is.  Dat's all, sah."

"On account of your youth and good looks," said the judge, as he kicked a yellow dog from under the table, "I will fine you $25 each and costs, which will amount to $50 per head.  Have you the tine wherewith to liquidate?"

"I'se done busted," said May.  "And I hain't got a shiner" said the white man.

"Very well, gentlemen; the city can board you for a couple of months.  Skip out with the officer."  And they skipped.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Monday ~ July 27, 1885


"Your name is Pepper, eh?" said Judge Glenn, addressing a youngish looking man, with large face, long nose, and deep seated eyes.

"Yes, sir."

"Well, Mr. Pepper, you are charged with beingn found sleeping in an alley, in company with your two chums, Al Smith and James Riggs.  What have you to say?"

"Nothin', sir, only I couldn't get no work, and had no place to go to , so we thougth we'd just bunk in the alley."

"Well, Mr. Pepper, unless you are as hot as your name implies, you must have slept very cold without any covering these chilly nights.  Have you any money?"

"A little, sir; enough to buy some crackers and cheese."

"Um, um.  You don't work any?"

"I can't get anything to do."

"And yet you have money, Mr. Pepper.  I guess you are a hard lot, and I'll fine you five dollars and costs, and suspend judgment for two hours to allow you to get out of town.  If you are found in the city at a later date, up you go."

Al Smith and James Riggs told about the same story as Mr. Pepper, and the judge gave them the same space of time to get out of town in.  Riggs was a darkey, about fourteen years old, Pepper was about twenty-one, and Smith about eighteen.  The latter broke down and cried.  They all claimed to be from Carthage, Mo., and were a bad looking lot.  It seemed a pity to send those boys off to prey on other communities, and yet the inexorable edict of society has gone forth against tramps, and when a boy or a man makes a vagrant or an outcase of himself, he must expect no mercy, but must accept degradation and ostracism as a matter of course.

Ralph Parsons, charged with assaulting E. W. Smith, was discharged, as it was difficult to tell from the testimony who was the assaulting party.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Tuesday ~ August 4, 1885)

John Murphy and John Doyle were before the police court this morning for being drunk.  Murphy paid five dollars and Doyle was sent up.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Monday ~ August 10, 1885)


Lu Priest was before the police court yesterday afternoon on two charges.  Laura Jones, who keeps a house east of the railroad depot, complained that he kicked up a row in her house, and when Officer Marlatte went to arrest him, he refused to be taken.  Officer Marlatte, however, is not the kind of a man to tool with while on that sort of duty so he collared Priest and a scrimmage ensued in which the officer came out victorious.  Priest was brought before Judge Glenn, and by agreement with the attorney who represented the accused, the case was continued until today at 1 o'clock.

John Doe, a ubiquitous individual, whose name is found on all the police dockets of the country was fined $7 for allowing his legs to get tangled up on the sidewalk.  He didn't have the money but managed to send it in during the afternoon.

Frank Nash, drunk, assessed $5.

Cora Howard, Anna Crouch and Mrs. Stevens paid $10 each into the cash box in the city for being suspected of street walking.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Friday ~ August 14, 1885)


Emma Armstrong, a prostitute was fined $25 in police court.

One drunk was recorded late in the day.  He was so drunk that he thought he was John L. Sullivan.

Officer McNamara arrested two boys last evening on the charge of stealing three cans of corned beef.  They gave the names of Sam Williams and Willie Childs.  Both came in town a short time ago from Center and are destitute.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Wednesday ~ February 11, 1891)


Maggie Mack, drunknessess, fined $5

P. P. Grasier, drunk, fined $5

Jim Chambers, drunk, fined $5

There were four or five prostitues run in and given the usual fine.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Tuesday ~ April 21, 1891)


C. Hulsman, drunk, fined $5

Tulley Myers was run in for loitering about in public places; trial set for 5 o'clock this evening.

Several prostitutes were arrested and fined the regulation amount.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Thursday ~ April 23, 1891)


Yesterday was a busy day at police headquarters.  A large number of arrests were made than for many weeks.  Here they are:  S. S. McVey, Emma Walker, J. S. Bliss, Mamie Davidson and Lizzie Johnson for lewdly abiding; John Jones, excavating in alley; E. Roller, nuisance; Leslie Foster, dirburing the peace; H. Davis, carrying concealed weapons; William Johnson, letting stock run at large; G. Brown, fast driving; Henry Meyer, loitering; Charles Roxey, nuisance; John James, vagrancy; Bill Long, disturbing the peace; Tom Rankins, permitting chickens to run at large; S. S. Harland, drunk; four prostitutes.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Saturday ~ May 23, 1891)


Tom Jones and Mattie Hollins, lewdly abiding; Bill Silvers, colored, drunk and disturbing the peace; H. C. Landers, carrying concealed weapons; Chas. Jones, loitering; Charley Giles, gambling; Aure Tudors, prostitute.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Sunday ~ May 24, 1891)

 Back to Index Page

Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Sedgwick County host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved