School House Became Scout Headquarters
Visit Tasco’s WPA stone school house, which was constructed in
1935-1936 with rock quarried north of Studley, Kansas. The building has
two large classrooms, a full basement, a large auditorium, cloak rooms
and a room used as a kitchen. This school was discontinued in 1962.
After the building closed, it was used by the Sunflower Girl Scout
Council as a headquarters for campouts. It now serves as a residence.
A grain elevator built in 1916 by E.T. Crum was used until the early
1990s. Additionally, several early-day stores are still standing.
Locals Soak Up the Dry Life
Tasco is located in a valley at the junction of the South Fork Solomon
River and Sand Creek. The community endures a dusty and dry climatology
that is commonly associated with western Kansas. In Tasco, the lizards
and jackrabbits run freely and live in harmony.
Chairs and Tables of Sticks and Rope
The Girl Scouts used to camp in Tasco once a year, and would often
build chairs and tables out of sticks and rope. After the Scouts’ week
was complete, the locals enjoyed finding the artistry the Scouts left
The Tasco Presbyterian Church was the only such structure in the
community’s history. It was in operation from 1922 to 1954.
Tasco, a Battle Site
It is thought that a battle between a large number of Cheyenne Indians
and U.S. Cavalry took place near the site of Tasco in 1857. A sod fort
was erected to house the wounded for the winter. This is probably the
first sod building in Sheridan County, but the exact location has not
been determined. Tasco was officially established in November 1888.
Family-owned Services at One Tiime
Years ago, Leon Sample and Slim and Ida Hill owned gasoline stations
that serviced the town. The Hill family also operated a country store
at the family’s filling station. Older natives remember being able to
reach into the old-fashioned coolers to enjoy a bottle of Coke.
Scouts on a Mission and a Useful Soap-weed
For one week out of the year, the Girl Scouts used to come from many
different troops around the area to meet and camp at Tasco’s old school
house. Local residents recall that the girls would ‘troop’ around town
and gather items to use for arts and crafts.
Yucca plants are very common to the area and have many benefits.
Soap-week, as the yucca has been nicknamed, makes a good soap to use in
cold water, as the Native Americans and pioneers once used it for. One
can also enjoy the yucca’s petals in a salad. Tastes a lot like
cabbage, locals say.
Traditional Economics Sustain Town
In the past, cattle ranching and crop farming dominated this rural
economy and these factors continue to shape local livelihood today. The
original site of Guy also served as an early and important livestock
shipping center for area farmers.
Located eight miles east of Hoxie, Tasco was the official name of a
small railroad station along the Union Pacific Railroad in 1888. C.E.
Perkins and his father-in-law, John O. Hopkins, then laid out a town
site around the small railroad station and named the site Guy, in honor
of Mr. Hopkins’ son. On June 15, 1923 the name of the post office (Guy)
was changed to Tasco, making the Tasco/Guy location less confusing.
Most of the early people of Tasco were probably of English descent, but
it is not known for sure.
John Conard had a blacksmith shop at Tasco in about 1917-1918.
The Solomon Valley Highway 24 Heritage Alliance consists of 24
communities united by a common period of settlement after the Civil
War, during which settlers were drawn to a valley considered to be a
“Garden of Eden”. Their agricultural story of fighting for survival and
then feeding the world is what distinguishes this valley. Our 24
information kiosks tell the distinctive story of each Alliance
community and the people who continue to make this valley a wonderful
place to visit and consider home Tasco is one of the 24 communities.
Source: Visit to site. Transcribed by J.S.