STANTON COUNTY, KANSAS

HISTORY

Johnson, the county seat of Stanton County, is centrally located, and is 30 miles south of Syrause, its nearest railroad station and shipping point. It has a daily stage to that town. There are about a dozen retail establishments and a weekly newspaper (the Stanton County Journal), is published. It has a money order postoffice. The population according to the census of 1910 was 40. It was established in 1885 under the name of Veteran, by the Veteran Town Company. Later it became Johnson City and under that name was victorious in the county seat fight of 1887. During the hard times the population dwindled and in the early '90s was 10. In 1906 it had but one inhabitant and had the distinction of being the smallest county seat town in the world. (A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, Volume, 2, by William Elsey Connelley, 1912, page 31)

 


  Back to Index Page

Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Stanton County host & all Contributors
All rights reserved