WOODSON COUNTY, KANSAS
BARNETT, S. J
S. J. Barnett was born on 14 December 1873 in Woodson County, Kansas. He was educated at the University of Chicago (1892-1893) and the University of Denver (1893-1894). From 1894 to 1895 he served as an instructor of physics and biology at Denver, and from there went to the University of Virginia as an assistant (1895-1896). After receiving his doctorate from Cornell University in 1898 he joined Colorado College (1898-1896), Stanford University (1900-1905), Tulane University (1905-1911), and Ohio State University (1911-1918). From 1918 to 1924 he worked as a physicist in the department of terrestrial magnetism at the Carnegie Institution; then he became a research associate at the California Institute of Technology (1924), and finally, in 1926, professor of physics at the University of California, Los Angeles. After his retirement in 1944 he joined Caltech again as a fellow and researcher. (The Historical Development of Quantum Theory, Volumes 1-2, by Jagdish Mehra, Helmut Rechenberg, 2000, Page 425)
The Hilliar township, Peter Best, the father of this family was born in New Jersey, May 1797. In 1823, he married Miss Mary Trimmer, who was born in New Jersey in 1800. They remained in New Jersey until 1839 when they immigrated to Hilliar township, Knox County, Ohio, settling on a farm. They lived and died in this township being much esteemed. They had eleven children, nine born in New Jersey, and two in Ohio; nine are yet living.
John Best, born in New Jersey October 3, 1823, was married to Mary Jane Veocom in Champaign County, Ohio, November 27, 1849. He is a plasterer by trade, which he followed for a number of years, and then settled on a farm on which he is yet living. William was born in New Jersey, June 9, 1825, married November 18, 1846 to Sophia Huock, a daughter of one of the pioneers of this township. After his marriage he settled on a part of the Houck farm in Hilliar township, where he closed his days. He died September 12, 1877. His wife still resides on the farm. Jesse was born in New Jersey, January 7, 1827, and was married to Mary Spaur in Butler County, Iowa, November 30, 1856. He was a wagonmaker by trade, but now owns a farm in Woodson County, Kansas and is engaged in agriculture. Jacob was born in New Jersey, January 14, 1829. When a young man he emigrated to Illinois where he dealt in stock for many years. He married a lady in Lexington, McLean County, Illinois, and settled down in the lumber business at which he is still engaged. Mary E., born in New Jersey, October 25, 1830, married Lemon Chadwick, with whom he still lives in Kansas on a farm. David T. born in New Jersey, January 5, 1832, married Susannah Addleman January 4, 1855 in Hilliar township. By trade he is a plasterer. After his marriage he purchased a farm in Hilliar township where he still resides, engaged in farming and breeding American Merino sheep of which he has a fine flock. He has three children, John T., born September 21, 1855; Lydia Ellen, born December 9, 1857, and Wilbert Irvine, born July 21, 1868. Mr. Best is an estimable citizen. Lydia Ellen, born May 20, 1834, in New Jersey, married October 1880 to John McGuler, a plasterer, residing at Centreburgh, Ohio. Ananias, born in New Jersey, July 10, 1836, married in Iowa to Miss Kate McCrary. He is a wagonmaker but is now engaged in farming in Butler County, Iowa. Peter, born in New Jersey September 5, 1838, lived until fifteen years of age, dying in Hilliar township. James born October 25, 1840 in Know County, Ohio. He obtained a collegiate education at Waynesburgh, Pennsylvania and took a theological course at Cincinnati, Ohio, and is now a minister of the Cumberland Presbyterian church at Bradford, Ohio. He married Narcissa M. Conner, of Cumberland, Ohio. Sylvester was born in Hilliar township, January 30, 1843; remained on the farm until September 22, 1862, when he enlisted in company F, One Hundred and Twenty-first regiment O. V. I. He participated in the battles of Perryville, chickamuga, Mission Ridge, and Kennesaw Mountain where he received a gunshot wound in the left hand June 27, 1863. He was discharged October 10, 1864 by reason of disability caused by his wound. After his return home he finished his education at Mt. Vernon, Ohio. He was married to Miss Martha Arnett, of Centreburgh, Ohio, May 19, 1866. He followed photography for seven years, after which he engaged in farming near Centreburgh, March 29, 1869, died at Lock, Ohio, October 24, 1870; Sylvester Robert, born at Lock, Ohio, April 5, 1872, Jesse taylor, born at Sunbury, Ohio, May 1, 1874; Charlie Sherman, born at Sunbury, Ohio, February 10, 1876. (History of Knox county, Ohio, by Albert Adams Graham, 1881, pages 600-601)
HEIMAN, FRED H.
Although Fred H. Heiman, a successful farmer of Deepwater township, is what we might call a newcomer to Henry County, he has taken his place in the civic life of the Montrose community and is fast becoming one of the leaders in this section of the county. Endowed with a high mentality, a progressive and enterprising spirit which has been further developed by a good education, Mr. Heiman is one of the best informed citizens of the county and an excellent farmer.
Fred H. Heiman was born in Damiansville, Illinois, January 14, 1868, and is the son of John Herman and Mary (Santel) Heiman, the former of whom was a native of Illinois and went to Ottawa County, Kansas, where for two years he lived on a farm near Delphos. In 1889, he went to Woodson County, Kansas, and made this county his home until his death in 1908. His widow still resides in Woodson County. There are nine living children in the Heiman family; August B., an oil man in California; Rosa M., wife of Herman Bruegeman, Woodson County, Kansas; Agatha, at home with her mother; Martin, Hooker, Oklahoma; William, Iola, Kansas; George A., at home with his mother; Edward N., Woodson County, Kansas; John H., of Humboldt, Kansas, and Fred H., subject of this sketch.
After receiving his education in the Effingham County high school at Altamont, Illinois, Mr. Heiman was employed in a retail store for a time. He then became a farmer and joined his people in Kansas. He went to Ellis County, Kansas, and taught school for twelve terms in all, eight terms of which were taught in Ellis County and four terms in Woodson County. While teaching, during the latter four terms, he followed farming in Woodson County. He came to Missouri in 1903 and rented a farm, five miles east of his present place until 1909, at which time he purchased his farm of 160 acres south of Montrose in Deepwater township. Mr. Heiman has erected a splendid improvements on this tract, including a handsome residence of eight rooms and pantry, a large barn, forty-eight by forty feet, a granary, twenty-six by thirty-four feet sufficient to shelter fifty-six head of sheep, a cow shed 26 by 28 feet, and silo. Mr. Heiman also raises Duroc Jersey hogs for the market. A large windmill on the place pumps a sufficient supply of water.
On April 4, 1894, Fred H. Heiman and Miss Annie M. Swaters were united in marriage. Mrs. Annie M. Heiman is the daughter of John Swaters, a well-to-do resident of Deepwater township and a sketch of whom appears in this volume. Nine children have been born to Fred H. and Annie M. Heiman; Regina, wife of John A. Nold, northeast of Montrose; Cornelius H., Leo, Martin, Rosa, Ferdinand, Loretta, John, Helen, all at home with their parents. Mrs. Regina Nold has two children, Lorraine and Dorothy Nold.
Mr. Heiman is a Democrat and his family are members of the Church of the Immaculate Conception at Montrose. He is affiliated with the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association and Knights of Columbus. (History of Henry County, Missouri, by Uel W. Lamkin, 1919, Pages 461-462)
August Lauber is familiar with pioneer experiences and environments in Kansas for he came to Woodson county forty-three years ago when the work of improvement and progress seemed scarcely begun. He was born June 30, 1827, in Westphalia, Germany, a son of Otto and Amelia (Maier) Lauber. The father was a farmer whose people had resided in that locality for many generations and the mother's family were also farmers. By her marriage she had the following children: Henry; Minnie, deceased wife of Frederick Mischer, of La Grange, Texas, and August.
When our subject was young he worked upon the home farm and pursued his education in the common schools. Thinking to benefit his financial condition in the New World he bade adieu to friends and native land, and on the 12th, of September, 1853, took passage at Bremen on the sailing vessel, Jule, which on that voyage was six weeks in reaching New York. Having friends in Illinois, Mr. Lauber at once made his way to Stephenson county, in that state, where he engaged in farming, in teaming and in other labor that would yield to him an honest living. With capital he acquired through his own efforts he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land. The year 1857 witnessed his removal from Freeport, Illinois, to Kansas. He was in hearty sympathy with the free state movement and gave his support to the efforts being made to keep slavery out of the territory. He became identified with farming interests here, securing one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 1, Yates Center township. It was then covered with wild prairie grass and native timber, but his labors have wrought a great change in its appearance. It has continuously been his home for forty-three years and is now a very valuable property, improved with all modern accessories and conveniences. The boundaries of the place, however, have been greatly extended, and today Mr. Lauber is the owner of eleven hundred acres of the rich farming land of Kansas. At the time of the Civil war he served in the state militia and while in Germany he had served in the war in Schleswig.
On the 23d of November, 1860, Mr. Lauber was united in marriage to Louisa Stockebrand, who came to the United States in 1859. She was born July 5, 1830 and their marriage has been blessed with six children: William, who married Augusta Harder and is now living in Yates Center; August; Herman; Henry; Matilda, wife of John Ropp, of Harper county, Kansas, and John E. Mr. Lauber and his family are all members of the German Evangelical Church and he and his sons are stalwart Republicans, his support having been given to the party since he cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864. In a land where are no class conditions and opportunity is open to all Mr. Lauber has steadily worked his way upward, winning a high measure of success, having a handsome competence for the evening of life. He is well known and is popular with his many friends and in the history of his adopted county he well deserves representation. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, Pages 629-630)
MAXSON, DANIEL W.
Daniel W. Maxson is the leading physician in his section a Woodson county. No other medical practitioner of the county has so long resided within its borders and none more highly deserves success and prominence than Dr. Maxson. He was born in Alleghany county, New York, in January, 1836, and is a son of John Maxson, a farmer by occupation, who was born in Massachusetts and married Miss Ann Ruth Langworthy, a native of Rhode Island. They died in the Empire state, leaving two children, but the doctor is now the only surviving representative of the family.
The subject of this review spent the days of his boyhood and youth upon the home farm and acquired his education in the common schools. He afterward took up the study of medicine, which he pursued at intervals, in the meantime providing for his support by teaming and by other such work as he could get to do. In his early manhood he left for the west, going first to Wisconsin, whence he afterward went to Missouri, and later came to Kansas, arriving in the year 1856. He first located at Fort Scott, which at that time was only a military garrison, and subsequently he went to Mapleton, Bourbon county, where he was living when the Civil war broke out. He enlisted in response to the call for men to serve for ninety days, and later enlisted for three years as a member of the Ninth Kansas cavalry, serving in the Western Department. The first two years of that time were passed as a steward in the general hospital at Fort Smith. He was with his regiment on White river, Arkansas, when the war ended and was discharged at Fort Leavenworth in the year 1865.
The war ended, Dr. Maxson returned to Mapleton, Kansas. In the meantime he had resumed the study of medicine and had prepared for its practice. He had read to some extent under the direction of Dr. Norman D. Winans at Iola, Kansas, and for two years was associated with him in practice. He then took up his abode on the Verdigris river, where he has since remained, his home being now in Toronto. His practice comes not only from this town but also from Coyville and Buffalo and is quite extensive. He is the oldest physician in years of continuous practice in Woodson county, and as time has pased[sic] he has easily maintained his rank among the foremost physicians of this section of the state. He has kept abreast with the progress made by the medical fraternity, is a discriminating student, most careful in diagnosing disease and correct in prescribing the medicines which will best supplement nature in her efforts to restore a healthful and normal condition. Although he attended two courses of medical lectures, the last one in the Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati, he did not consider his studies ended and constant reading has kept him in touch with the onward march of progress made in the medical science.
Dr. Maxson was married in Mapleton, in 1860, to Miss Louise E. Myrick, whose father came to Kansas from Tennessee. Mrs. Maxson died March 27, 1901. Unto them have been born the following children: W. E., who is superintendent of the terminals of the railroad and steamship lines at Galveston, Texas; Frank; Henrietta, wife of Charles Chambers, of Purcell, Indian Territory; Ralph, of Toronto, and Lillie A., of Toronto.
From the date of the organization of the Republican party Dr. Maxson has been in hearty sympathy with its principles and gives his support to its men and measures. He keeps well informed on the issues of the day and does all in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of the party. He is chairman of the Pension Examining Board of Woodson county, and is a loyal and patriotic citizen, who believes in upholding the starry banner of the nation wherever the courage and loyalty of the American soldier has planted it. The doctor has a very wide acquaintance throughout Woodson county where he has so long made his home and his many sterling traits of character as well, as his splendid work in the line of his profession have gained for him the confidence, good will and high regards of all with whom he has been brought in contact. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, Pages 626-627)
REID, THOMAS L.
For twenty-five years connected with the business interests of Woodson county and with its public affairs, Mr. Reid is regarded as one of the valued and representative citizens of Yates Center and this entire section of the state. He is classed among the men whose energy, determination and business ability are leaving an impress upon the rapidly-developing civilization of the west. To-day he is at head of the leading livery and transfer business of Woodson county, and for many years he was widely known as the popular host of some of the best hotels of this portion of the state.
A native of the province of Nova Scotia, Mr. Reid was born on the 2d of November, 1850, a son of Ezra and Tabitha (Ells) Reid, whose family numbered five children. Theodore H., of South Farmington, Massachusetts; Albert B., of Maine; Thomas L., and a son Wm. D., and daughter Mary S. Eaton, living in Nova Scotia, are the survivors of the family, the parents having passed away.
Mr. Reid of this review received very meager educational privileges in his youth, but reading, experience and observation in later years have made him a well informed man. In 1868 he went to Massachusetts and secured employment in a shoe shop and later in a grain store. Afterward he entered upon a clerkship in a hotel, where he gradually worked his way upward, enjoying the unqualified confidence and regard of his employer. On the 3d of November, 1873, he returned to Nova Scotia and was married at Bridgetown, Annapolis county, on that day to Bessie Willett, daughter of Captain John R. Willett.
At the time of the financial panic of 1873 Mr. Reid was chief clerk in the Marlborough Hotel. With the sudden and extensive reductions in working forces along all lines came his own forced retirement in the early part of 1875 and he left New England in search of work in other parts of the country. Believing that the west would afford him better opportunities he came to Kansas, March, 1875, arriving in Neosho Falls with only thirty-five cents in his pocket, but he possessed a determined spirit and unfaltering energy and these stood him instead of capital. He found a friend in the proprietor of the Falls House, a New England man who aided him until he could get work. Here for the first time he engaged in farm work, entering the service of W. P. Sharp, an agriculturist, who gave him fifteen dollars a month in compensation for his services. Within six months he had arranged to take charge of the hotel at Neosho Falls and then sent for his wife. From the fall of 1875 until 1882 he conducted that hostelry and thus gained some capital. He afterward spent a few months in the Leland Hotel, in Iola, but returned to the Falls House, which he conducted until 1887 when he transferred all his interests to Yates Center and became the proprietor of the Hotel Woodson, with which he was connected as proprietor at different times for twelve years, retiring from its management in September, 1899. For nearly twenty years he has been engaged in the livery and transfer business and is the leader in his line in Woodson county.
Mr. Reid has been called to a number of positions of public trust by his fellow townsmen who recognize his worth and ability. He was appointed by Abe Smith to the position of deputy sheriff for Woodson county and was marshal of Neosho Falls from 1876 until 1880. In 1891 he was nominated and elected sheriff of Woodson county, and re-elected in 1893, thereby holding the office the limit, a fact which indicates his popularity in the ranks of his party. In 1888 he was a strong competitor for the office of United States marshal, and in 1896 he was a leading candidate for the nomination for representative to the general assembly. In 1901 he was elected mayor of Yates Center by a large majority. In politics he has ever been a Republican, unswerving in support of the principles of the party. He cast his first presidential vote for Governor Tilden, but since 1876 has been a firm advocate of the Grand Old Party. His record as an officer of the law cannot be successfully attacked and his reputation as a citizen grows brighter with the lapse of years.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Reid have been born the following named: Edith, wife of L. F. Samuels, of Coffeyville, Kansas; Maude, wife of C. W. Lockard, of Will Springs, Missouri; Walter L.; Harry H.; Edwin C., and Mary E. The family occupies a leading position in social circles. Mr. Reid today stands among the most prominent men of his adopted county. He is public-spirited in an eminent degree, local advancement and national progress both being subjects dear to his heart. He commands the unqualified confidence and respect of his fellow men by reason of his sterling worth, his fidelity to duty and his unquestioned probity, and such a record is well worthy of emulation. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, Pages 627 - 629)
WEBSTER, EDWIN HARRISON
Edwin Harrison Webster was born near Yates center, Woodson County, Kansas, February 25, 1871. His father was Rufus D. Webster, born in New York state in 1839 and his mother Harriet Edwards, born in Indiana in 1850. The father died at Fairfax, Va., December, 1910; the mother is still living. Edwin Harrison Webster graduated from the Kansas State Agricultural College in 1896. He has done scientific work as professor of the dairying. Kansas State Agricultural College, and chief of Dairy Division, Kansas State Agricultural College. He married, April 10, 1900, Eleanor Fryhofer, of Randolph, Kan. They have one daughter. His father's people came from England sometime between 1620 and 1700, settling in New England. His mother's people came from Wales about 1800. (Collections of the Kansas State Historical Society, Volume 12, by the Kansas State Historical Society, 1912, page 62)
WILDMAN, ROY T.
The assured status of Mr. Wildman as one of the representative members of the bar of the Eastern Oklahoma is evidenced by the able administration which he is giving in the office of county attorney of Creek County, and he is one of the vital, progressive and popular citizens of Sapulpa, the judicial center and metropolis of the county mentioned.
Mr. Wildman was born at Fairfield, Jefferson County; Iowa on the 18th of April 1883 and is a son of Benjamin and Sarah (Taylor) Wildman, both of whom were born in Iowa. He was reared in Missouri and she in Iowa. Benjamin Wildman became one of the representative citizens of Jefferson County, Iowa in which state he continued his residence until 1900, since which time and his wife have maintained their home at Neosho Falls, Kansas, and South Haven, Michigan, the major part of his active career having been one of close and effective association with the basic industries of agriculture and stock-growing, through the medium of which he has attained to definite independence and prosperity. He now gives his attention principally to contracting and is one of the substantial business men of the city and county in which he has established his home.
He is a republican in his political proclivities and both he and his wife are earnest members of the Christian Church.
The eldest in a family of three sons and two daughters, Roy T. Wildman found the period of his childhood and early youth compassed by the benignant influence of the home farm in Jefferson County, Iowa, and in the meanwhile he duly availed himself of the advantages of the public schools of his native county. He was about seventeen years of age at the time of the family removal to Woodson county, Kansas, in 1900, and he was gradated in the high school at Neosho Falls, that state, as a member of the class of 1903. In preparation for his chosen profession he then entered the law department of the University of Kansas at Lawrence and in this institution he was graduated in 1907 with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. His professional novitiate was served in Kansas but in 1909 he came to Oklahoma and established himself in practice at Sapulpa, where his ability, energy and close application soon enabled him to develop a substantial law business. In 1911 he was chosen deputy county attorney and the admirable record which he made in this subordinate position marked him as specially eligible for further advancement in the public service with the result that in November 1914, he was elected county attorney an office in which he is giving a most effective administration and adding materially to his reputation as a resourceful trial lawyer. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, and he is one of its active and influential representatives in Creek County. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and is an appreciative and popular member of the Creek County Bar Association.
In June 1913 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Wildman to Miss Dora A. Jones, daughter of Oliver B. and Lucy Snow (Abbey) Jones of Neosho Falls, Kansas and the two children of this union are Evelyn Sarah and Roy T., Jr. (A Standard History of Oklahoma, Volume 4, by Joseph Bradfield, Thoburn, 1916, Page 1648)
DUMOND, FRANK J.
Frank J. Dumond, of Rose is the eldest son and child of the late John W. Dumond, an honored pioneer of Woodson County, who located a claim in Eminence township in 1866, only five years after the admission of the state into the Union and while this portion of Kansas was still largely unimproved. Here he died about seven years later.
The subject of this review was born October 20, 1867, and his home has been within the confines of Woodson County continuously since. He was reared on the farm owned by the family and attended the common schools, acquiring a good English education. After attaining his majority he engaged in farming for ten years finding that a profitable labor. He was thus engaged until 1896 when he began dealing in hay at Rose, and during the past five years he has done much of the shipping of this commodity at this point. His business affords a good market to the hay producers of this section of the county as well as brings to him a good financial return. He attends strictly to his business and his close application and energy have gained for him a place among the prosperous business men of the region.
On the 25th of January, 1890, Mr. Dumond was united in marriage to Miss Cora E. Thorpe, who died in August, 1893, leaving one child. Gertrude M. In May, 1900, he was again married, his second union being with Miss Jane A. Gregg, a daughter of James and Elizabeth (Auld) Gregg. They have a pleasant home and many friends in Rose and throughout Woodson County. In his social relations, Mr. Dumond is a representative of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Having spent his entire life in the county his history is a familiar one to his fellow townsmen, and that he has their high regard is an evidence that his career has been dominated by principles and practices which command respect. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, pages 764-765)
GOODALE, CYRUS B.
In the period of twenty-three years in which Cyrus B. Goodale has resided in Woodson County he has worked his way upward from a humble financial position to one of affluence and is today enrolled among the well-to-do and progressive agriculturists of the community. His home is in Liberty township where he has a valuable farm property supplied with all modern improvements and accessories.
Mr. Goodale is a native of Illinois, his birth having occurred in Kane County, that state, September 14, 1856. His father, John W. Goodale is a native of New York, while his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Brackett, is a native of Vermont. In the year 1840 John Goodale removed to Illinois and secured a claim long before the land came into market. Indians were still in the neighborhood and the locality in which he settled was still a frontier region giving little promise of the wonderful development soon to occur. He was a carpenter by trade and followed that pursuit to some extent but always lived upon his farm where he could raise cattle and hogs and thus add to his income by the sale of his stock. He and his wire are now living retired in Aurora, Illinois at the ages of twenty-six and sixty-six years respectively. They had nine children of whom all are living, namely: Frank, Don, Cyrus B., Emma, Ms. Katie Boon, Mrs. Lizzie Hadden; Mrs. Ella Robbins, Webb and Burt, all of whom are residents either of Illinois or Dakota, with the exception of our subject.
Cyrus B. Goodale spent his youth upon the homestead farm in Illinois acquiring a common school education and working in the fields as his age and strength would permit. When a young man of seventeen years he began working at the carpenter's bench under the direction of his father and to farming and building devoted his energies until after he attained his majority when desiring to remove to a district where he could more easily secure a farm of his own, he came to Kansas in 1878. Locating in Woodson County he followed carpentering and also operated a tract of rented land until his labors had brought to him a sum sufficient to enable him to purchase a tract of eighty acres three miles west and three miles north of Yates Center.
Mr. Goodale further completed his arrangements for a home by his marriage to Miss Carrie Collmore, the wedding being celebrated July 16, 1881. The lady is a native of the Green Mountain state and came to Kansas in 1877 with her parents, Elijah and Sarah Collmore. The young couple began their domestic life upon the farm and with characteristic energy he began the work of improvement his labors making a great transformation in the appearance of the place. He has erected a handsome residence and had added all the accessories needed to make this one of the most attractive and desirable farm properties of the locality. He has also extended the boundaries of the place and now has one hundred and sixty acres. He handles such stock as his farm will support and is in his agricultural labors meeting with good success. He also has other business interests, being agent for the Page Woven Wire Fence and of the Cooperative Insurance Company, of Topeka, Kansas, of which he is also one of the directors.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Goodale has been blessed with five children, as follows: Lola E., Grant L., Lillie M., Frank B., and John O. and the family circle yet remains unbroken. In his political affiliations Mr. Goodale is identified with the People's party and has served as trustee of his township for one term. There is great difference in his financial condition at the present time from what is was when he came to Kansas, for he arrived in Woodson County with a capital of two hundred dollars and all that he now possess has been acquired since, indicating that his life here has been characterized by unflagging industry. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, pages 772 - 773)
MARTIN, JAMES L.
As a worthy representative of an honored pioneer family of southeastern Kansas, as a capable and faithful public official and as a leading and reliable business man of Yates Center, James L. Martin is deserving of mention in this volume, the purpose of which is to perpetuate the life records of those who have contributed to the growth, improvement and stability of this section of the Sunflower state. He is now a member of the well known firm of Martin & Orendorff, of Yates Center and is a recognized leader in his line of commercial activity in the county seat.
The Martin family is of English lineage and was founded in America by Richard Martin, the grandfather of our subject, who with three of his sons crossed the Atlantic to Canada. His children were James, Isaac, Jonathan, Freeman, William, Ezra and Anson all of whom resided in the United States were married and reared families. Of this number William Martin now resides in Fort Scott, Kansas. Freeman Martin the father of our subject was married in Ogle County, Illinois in 1847 to Matilda Cox a native of Connecticut and a daughter of William Cox and in 1866 they came to Kansas locating in Osage township, Allen County when not a single house stood between their home and the residence of Judge Brown on Rock creek east of Iola. Mr. Martin secured a homestead claim and resided on the Osage until 1885, when he removed to Osborn County, Kansas, where he remained for four years. In 1892 he removed to Bronson, Kansas, where his death occurred in October 1899 when he was seventy-six years of age. His wife passed away in the same city in July 1899 so that after traveling life's journey together for fifty-two years they were not long separated in death. They had six children; Albert E., of Bronson, Kansas; James L., John M., also of Bronson; Lucena M., wife of Tillman Birnbaum of Iola; Harriet C., wife of Dr. Albert Allen of Ottawa, Kansas and Fannie T., who resided in Bronson.
Mr. Martin, whose name begins this record was born in Ogle County, Illinois, April 2, 1859, and was therefore only about seven years of age when he came with his parents to southeastern Kansas. He pursued his education in the common schools and when sixteen years of age entered upon his business career as a clerk in a store in Osborn, Kansas. He subsequently entered the employ of J. Bishop of Neosho Falls, with whom he remained as a most competent and trusted salesman for fourteen years after which he was elected to the position of register of deeds of Woodson County in 1895 for a term of two years. On the expiration of that period he was again chosen to the office and in 1900 he retired from office as he had entered it - with the confidence and good will of his constituents and the public generally. He then became a member of the firm of Martin & Orendorff, dealers in dry goods and clothing at Yates Center, and is now enjoying a good and growing trade, having the best equipped establishment of the kind in the city.
On the 5th of September, 1880, Mr. Martin was joined in wedlock in Osborn, Kansas, to Miss Jesse A. Crampton, a daughter of Charles W. Crampton, a native of Connecticut. He became a resident of Troy, New York, and was married there to Mary J. Harris. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Martin are three in number; Mary E., Charles F., and Edgar P., all yet with their parents. Like the other members of the family Mr. Martin is a Republican in his political views and socially he is connected with the Masons, the Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a gentleman of good habits, upright principles and manly conduct, who in quiet but useful and essential walks of business life has gained the respect of his fellow men and won the friendship of many by reason of his genuine but unostentatious worth. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, pages 770-771)
MITCHELL, WILLIAM J.
The laws of nature have provided that labor always brings change, that effort is always followed by result, and therefore when labor is well directed and effort carefully planned the outcome is most desirable. Toil thus becomes a marketable commodity of value and brings, in measure, that for which every business man is seeking wealth. William J. Mitchell is of the class of representative farmers whose energies have been so prosecuted along well defined lines of activity that he is now in possession of a handsome competence, being the owner of one of the fine farms of Woodson county.
A native of Ohio, he was born in Adams County, March 30, 1841, a son of William and Nancy (Johns) Mitchell, also natives of the Buckeye state. The father devoted his life to agricultural pursuits and died in Ohio in 1885, at the age of seventy-six years. His wife departed this life many years previously, being called to her final rest in 1854, at the age of forty-three. They were the parents of eleven children, eight of whom are yet living, William J. being the fifth in order of birth. He spent his youth on the old homestead farm in Ohio and at the age of eighteen began learning the blacksmith's trade, which he followed in his native state until twenty-six years of age. In 1868 he removed to Livingston County, Illinois, where he was engaged in the work of the smithy until 1881, when he came to Kansas, settling in Coffey County. There he purchased eighty acres of land upon which he resided for three years, when he sold that property and came to Woodson County. Here he has made his home continuously since. He bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in North township and in connection with blacksmithing carried on farming. As his financial resources increased he added to his property until his landed possessions now aggregate four hundred and eighty acres. A good house and barn are among the features of the place and neatness and thrift characterize the farm in every department. In connection with blacksmithing and the production of grain he has also extensively and successfully engaged in raising cattle for the market and now has a large herd upon his place. His farm is pleasantly and conveniently situated thirteen miles northwest of the county seat and he has post office facilities at Keck.
In 1865 Mr. Mitchell was united in marriage to Miss Maria Carlisle, a native of Ohio and s daughter of John and Miriam (Vincenhaler) Carlisle. The father was a native of Virginia, the mother of Ohio and both died in the Buckeye state. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell have been born four children: Silvia, wife of J. T. Parkinson, who is residing in Port Orchard, Washington; Ora, wife of J. F. Miller; Effie, a teacher of Woodson County, and Maude, who is also engaged in teaching in this county. They have also lost two children-Samuel, who died in Illinois at the age of twelve years, and Harman, who died in the same state when nine years of age.
Mr. Mitchell exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of Democracy and by his fellow townsmen has been elected to public office. He served for one term as township trustee, and at this writing is capably filling the position of township treasurer. No trust reposed in him has ever been betrayed in the slightest degree, and in all walks of life he is known as a man of honor and reliability. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, Pages 767-768)
Harvey Surprise, who is engaged in general farming in Eminence township came to Woodson County in the spring of 1870 and purchased a claim on West Buffalo creek, where he has since made his home. His father, Peter Surprise, was born in Canada, in August, 1793 and after an active business career is still living at the remarkable age of one hundred and seven years. In 1819 he removed to the state of New York and the next year went westward to Chicago. In 1836 he removed to Lake County, Indiana, which was his place of abode for a long period. He married Rosanna Taylor and fourteen children were born unto them, nine of whom reached years of maturity. Sarah, the oldest, is the deceased wife of Steward Stillson; Elizabeth, married a Mr. Coe and after his death, wedded a Mr. Harding; Harvey is the third of the family; Henry, Oliver and William, whose births occurred in the order mentioned, are all residents of Lake County, Ind., Lavina is the wife of Leander Vaudecai, of Woodson County; Melvina, twin sister to Lavina, is the deceased wife of William Wheeler; Armina is the wife of James Rosenbower, of Lake County, Indiana; the other members of the family died in childhood.
Harvey Surprise, was born December 25, 1835, in New York and the following year the family removed to Lake County, Indiana, where he was reared and made his home until 1852 when he crossed the plains to California where he engaged in prospecting, spending four years on the Pacific coast. In 1854, he started to return on the steamer "Yankee Blake" which ran on a rock off the coast about one hundred and eighty miles south of San Francisco, after which he remained for two years longer in California in order to recuperate from his losses sustained in the wreck. Finally by ship he made his way to New York, crossing the Isthmus of Panama. After his return home he was employed as a farm hand by the month, but when he felt that the duty to his country was stronger than any other life, he put aside all business and personal considerations, enlisting August 10, 1862, as a member of Company I, Seventy-third Indiana Infantry, being mustered in at South Bend. The regiment was first ordered to Kentucky, where it received the guns and then went to Lexington. Mr. Surprise first met the enemy in this locality but the first regular engagement in which he participated was at Perryville, Kentucky and later he took part in the engagement at Murfreeboro, Tennessee. In the spring of 1863 his regiment started on a raid under Colonel Straight, going as far as Rome, Georgia, before captured by General Forest and his men. Mr. Surprise was parolled at Rome but was in the hands of the rebels until exchanged at City Point, Virginia. He then returned to Indiana and after a ten days' furlough aided in the capture of General Moran in Ohio. Subsequently he guarded prisoners in Indianapolis until the fall election of 1863, when the regiment was sent to Nashville to do guard duty. The following spring they were ordered to Decatur, Alabama, where they were engaged in fighting bushwackers. On the 8th of July, 1865, Mr. Surprise received an honorable discharge at Indianapolis.
Through the summer he followed farming in Indiana and in the fall of that year came to Kansas, locating in Coffey county where he resided until the spring of 1870, when he removed to Woodson county. He owns land in sections twenty-eight, twenty-six and thirty-five. Eminene township and a tract in Belmont township, the whole aggregating two hundred and eighty acres. His farming interests are well conducted and his labors bring to him a good financial return.
Mr. Surprise has been twice marriage. On the 6th of March, 1859, he was joined in wedlock to Miss Juliet Burch who died in 1874, leaving the following children: Rose, now the wife of John Homan, of South Omaha, Nebraska; Henry of Woodson County, and Peter, of Oklahoma. On the 3rd of February, 1875, Mr. Surprise was again married, his second union being with Mary Chapell, a daughter of Miranda (Read) Chapell by her first marriage who came to Kansas from Otsego County, New York, in the spring of 1870 and here spent her remaining days. The children of Wm. Chappel were: George, of Neosho County, Kansas; Dwight, who is also living in that county; Charles, of Q, Oklahoma, and Nellie, wife of Joseph Rininger. The father of this family was born in Chenango County, New York, September 26, 1813, and his wife in Brookfield, that state, July 1, 1824. Both have now passed away. The children of the second marriage of Mr. Surprise are: Anna, wife of Osro Easley of Rest, Kansas; Nellie, wife of George Reagon, of Woodson County; Moses N., Lovisa, Lillie P. and Juliet who are with their parents.
Mr. Surprise was reared in the faith of the Whig party of which his father was a supporter and on attaining his majority he became a Republican and has never wavered in his allegiance to the party or to any cause which he believes to be right and just displaying the same fidelity which he manifested when he fought in defense of the Union on the battle fields of the South. Woodson County gained a valuable citizen when he cast in his lot with her residents and throughout the community his worth is indicated by the high regard in which he is held. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, Pages 762-764)
TAYLOR, WILLIAM P.
Real estate business is a most important factor in the material prosperity of a community. A casual observer can form no conception of the important position held by the active, enterprising agent, devoted to the work of buying and selling real estate, establishing values and otherwise stimulating property holders to the greatest improvements it lies in their power to make. Mr. Taylor is one of this class. The judicious principles which he upholds in his transactions, the care with which he investigates points connected therewith, are securing for him a large and well deserved patronage, and the firm of W. P. Taylor & Son is now a prominent one in this line in Yates Center.
William P. Taylor was born in Fayette County, Ohio, near Washington Courthouse, March 9, 1839. His father, William R. Taylor, was born near Frankfort, Kentucky, in 1798, and throughout his active business life carried on farming. He passed away in 1875, at the age of seventy-six years. In his political views he was a war Democrat and always supported the principles of the Democracy, but two of his sons, who served in the Union army became Republicans. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Mary Hoppas and was of German birth, a daughter of John Hoppas, who was also a native of the fatherland as was his wife. Mrs. Taylor died some time prior to her husband's death, passing away in 1851. Her children were Nancy, deceased wife of Jacob Drook; Robert, who has also departed this life; Mary J., deceased wife of William Ebright; John H., of Williamsfield, Illinois; Samuel S., of Neosho, Missouri; Rosetta, wife of Eli Reece, of Clifton, Illinois; Isaac B., who died in Indiana; Willam P. and Jacob A., both of Woodson County.
In his youth and early manhood Mr. Taylor was identified with agricultural pursuits. He was only about two years of age when his parents removed from Fayette County, Ohio, to Grant County, Indiana, and there he was reared, early becoming familiar with the duties and labors of the fields, for the family resided upon a farm. While working for an uncle in Jay County, Indiana, he offered his services to the country as a defender of the Union, enlisting as a member of the Twenty-fourth Indiana battery, which was attached to the Twenty-third corps of the army of the Ohio. With his command he participated in the battles of Marborn, Kentucky, Lowden, Tennessee, the siege of Knoxville and the siege of Atlanta and the Atlanta campaign. After the fall of the city his battery went with Generals Schofield and Thomas in pursuit of Hood and thus he participated in the engagements at Franklin and Nashville. He then went to Louisville, Kentucky, where the battery was divided among four forts and there held until August 5, 1865, when the war having ended Mr. Taylor was mustered out. On many a hotly contested field he has displayed his loyalty and his bravery, and to his home he returned with a most creditable military record.
Once more in the north he began farming in Lake County, Indiana, and the following year was there married. He continued agricultural pursuits there until 1869, when on the 11th. of October, he started for Woodson County, Kansas, driving across the country and reaching his destination on the 14th. of November. He located first in Belmont township, where he followed farming and stock raising until the spring of 1875. He then went to Defiance, and a year later removed to Yates Center and erected the fifth building here the Commercial Hotel, which he conducted successfully for seven years. For two years he engaged in merchandising with his son, Jacob E., after which he served as justice of the peace for four years, and since that time he has been connected with the real estate business as the senior member of the firm of W. P. Taylor & Son. Prosperity has attended his efforts, and the important transactions which he has conducted have brought to him a good return and at the same time have been of value in improving and up building the city. They also conduct a loan business.
In the year 1866, in Lake County, Indiana, Mr. Taylor was united in marriage to Miss Matilda Sievert, a daughter of Adolph Sievert, and they now have four children: Jacob E., who is associated with his father in business, and who married Laura, daughter of Editor Buck, deceased; Gussie; William A., who is in the employ of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company and wedded Mabel Harding, and Gertrude, who completes the family. There is one grandchild, Perine Taylor, born to Jacob Taylor and his wife. Mr. Taylor of this review cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln and has since supported the men and measures of the Republican party. He belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic, has taken the degree of Master Mason and is connected with the Triple Tie. Through almost a third of a century he has resided in Woodson County and has watched with a deep and abiding interest its progress and improvement, sharing in the work of advancement as opportunity has offered, and finding in its business opening the field of labor which he sought, thereby providing for his family a comfortable competence. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, pages 768-770)
THOMPSON, ENOCH T.
Enoch T. Thompson, a well known and highly esteemed resident of Toronto, who is now engaged in the furniture business, was born in Madison County, Ohio on the 13th of May 1836. His father, Daniel Thompson was born in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, and there spent the days of his boyhood and youth. His father was John Thompson who with his family removed to Madison County, Ohio in the year 1812. The father of our subject was then single. He made a sash for the first glass window used in London, Madison County and was an active factor in business there for many years. His death occurred in 1873 when he was seventy-nine years of age. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Dorothy Thomas, was a daughter of Enoch Thomas, who removed from Virginia to Ohio and there he spent his remaining days, passing away in 1849. The mother of our subject survived her husband seven years and died in 1880. Their children were: Elizabeth, the deceased wife of Daniel Freeman who at her death left one son, J. C. Freeman, James who died in 1878; Sarah, the deceased wife of Edward Stutson; Charlotte, the widow of E. W. Ogilvie; Dorothy, the deceased wife of Uriah Wilbur; Enoch T., of this review; and Mrs. Eliza Taggart, whose husband is deceased and who resides in Topeka, Kas.
Enoch T. Thompson was reared on his father's farm and aided in the development of the fields and in the operation of a saw mill. He also worked at the carpenter's trade, displaying considerable mechanical ingenuity in the use of tools. As a companion and helpmate on life's journey he chose Miss Mary C. Settle and his choice was ratified by marriage on the 26th of December 1861. They lady was a daughter of Meredith Settle who removed from Virginia to Ohio. In the year 1876 Mr. Thompson left his home in the Buckeye state and took up his abode in Allen County, Kansas. Since the fall of 1880 he has made his home in Woodson County, first locating three miles north of Toronto where he was engaged in farming for three years. He then removed to the city where he worked at the carpenter's trade until 1886, since which time he has been engaged in the furniture business as the successor of Martin Lockard. He carries a large and well selected stock of furniture and undertaker's goods to meet the varying tastes of his patrons. His business policy is one which awakens the commendation and confidence of all, and his reasonable prices, his uniform courtesy and his fair dealing have won him a very large patronage, and he is now enjoying a gratifying success. He is also interested in the Toronto Gas & Mining Company.
The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson has been blessed with three children: Viola, the eldest, is now the wife of Rev. N. L. Vezie, of Iola, James married Miss Clara Baker and Edward married Miss Elsie Sample. The mother of this family died in 1884 and in 1886, Mr. Thompson again married, his second union being with Mary G. Heagy, a daughter of Charles Starratt. By the second marriage there are two children: E. Gertrude and John.
At the time of the Civil war Mr. Thompson manifested his loyalty to the Union by enlisting in February, 1865 when 27 years of age, becoming a member of Company C, One Hundred and Ninety-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He saw service in the Shenandoah valley where he was located with his regiment at the time of General lee's surrender. On the 27th of August, 1865, he received an honorable discharge and returned to his home. He cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln and has since been a stalwart advocate of the Republican principles, but he has never been an aspirant for political office, giving h is time and attention to his business affairs whereby he has advanced steadily on the road to prosperity. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, pages 765-766)
WILLIE, WILLIAM C.
A representative of the real estate interests of Yates Center and Woodson County, William C. Willie has contributed in large measure to the growth, improvement and up building of this section of the Sunflower state. Possessed of fine commercial ability, aided by the exercise of sound judgment and indomitable energy, he has not only won success for himself but has aided materially in the growth and prosperity of the city. He has been a resident of the county since the spring of 1874, coming to the state from Iowa. He is, however, a native of Chicago, Illinois, where he was born February 13, 1851. His father, Henry Willie, was born in Hanover, Germany in 1795 and came to the United States in 1848, locating near Chicago. He engaged in farming in Cook county, Illinois until 1855 when he removed to Linn County, Iowa, coming thence to Woodson County. Here he spent his last years, passing away in 1887. He was first married in Germany and by that union had two children. Henry and George, residents of Linn County, Iowa and Yates Center, respectively. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Caroline Fusterman, and died in Wichita, Kansas, in July 1897. The children of the second marriage, seven now living are William C.; Aaron, who is living in Northeastern Nebraska; Louis, of Red Oak, Iowa; and Callie, wife of Superintendent Tracy of the Fort Scott & Wichita railroad.
When about five years of age Mr. Willie accompanied his parents on their removal to Iowa where he was educated in the public schools and worked upon his father's farm. On attaining his majority he started out in life on his own account and in the spring of 1874 came to Woodson County locating first in Kalida, where he engaged in the hotel business. In 1879 he removed to Toronto where for eleven years he was engaged in the conduct of a harness and saddler store. Coming to Yates Center, he is now one of the most prominent representatives of the real estate business in the city. A casual observer can form no conception of the important position held by the active, enterprising agent, devoted to the work of buying and selling real estate, establishing values and otherwise stimulating property holders to the great improvements it lies within their power to make. Mr. Willie is one of this class and the judicious principles which he upholds in his transactions, the care with which he investigate points connected therewith are securing to him a large and well deserved patronage.
In 1881 Mr. Willie was married to Miss Margaret Stewart, a daughter of William Stewart, of Yates Center, and formerly from Southern Ohio. They have two children, Jessie and Calvin Stewart. In his political affiliations Mr. Willie has always been a Republican and in 1889 was elected county treasurer which position he filled so acceptably that he was re-elected in 1891 and therefore filled the office for four years. For two years he was deputy county clerk and has also been deputy register of deeds, while for twelve years he has been a notary public. Socially he is a representative of the Masonic fraternity and is also a member of the Odd Fellows society and the Knights of Pythias lodge. He is influential in political and fraternal circles and is widely recognized as a diligent, enterprising and progressive business man. (History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas, Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott, 1901, Pages 766 & 767)
BUTTERS, WILLIAM FRANCIS
William Francis Butters, lawyer, was born in Locust Grove, Ohio, February 12, 1897, son of Burches Marion and Mary Frances (Messinger) Butters. His father, a farmer and salesman, was born in Hillsboro, Ohio, July 22, 1865. Mary Frances Messinger was born in Locust Grove, Ohio, February 18, 1866 and died at Topeka, Kansas, in July, 1925.
Educated first in a log school house in Oho, William Francis Butters was graduated from public school at Whiting, Kansas, in 1912 and in 1916 from the high school there. That year he attended Campbell College at Holton, and the following year was a student at William Hood Dunnwoody Institute at Minneapolis, Minnesota. He was a student at Harvard University during 1917-18, and at Northwestern University from 1919 until 1920. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Washburn College in 1922 and the degree of Bachelor of Laws from the Washburn School of Law in 1926.
In the fall term of 1921 Mr. Butters held the highest rank on the high honor roll at Washburn. He was a member of the literary society and active in track and basketball. At Northwestern, Mr. Butters was a member of Alpha Iota Chapter, of Lambda Chi Alpha and a member of Gamma Omicron Pi.
Reared on a farm, Mr. Butters moved to Whiting in 1912, working in a general mercantile store while in high school. He sold insurance was a city salesman for a candy company and later deputy United States marshal at Topeka; he also cooked for the Young Men's Christian Association and held various other jobs while in school.
From 1922 until 1924 he taught in public school, holding a principalship in 1922-23 and was superintendent 1923-24. Since 1926, he has been engaged in the general practice of law. He was candidate on the Republican ticket for the office of county attorney of Shawnee County in 1930 and a candidate for the office of judge of the third judicial district of Kansas.
Mr. Butters' marriage to Belva Jane Ashby was solemnized at Topeka, August 26, 1925. Mrs. Butters, who is a supervisor of music, was born in Williamstown, West Virginia, September 10, 1892.
Mr. Butters enlisted in the United States Navy on May 10, 1917 as an apprentice seaman, he attained the rank of yeoman second class and after 19 months foreign service, was discharged on September 26, 1919. He was detailed to the United States Naval Aviation detachment, and was with the Food Administration and also the United States Mine Sweeping detachment. At the present time, Mr. Butters has made application for a captaincy in the Judge Advocate General's Department Reserve. He served as commander of the American Legion during 1927-28 and as judge advocate of Phillip Billard Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of Topeka, from 1931 until 1932.
He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Rossville, the Young Men's Christian Association, the Red Cross, the Women's Christian Temperance Union, and the Masons of which he was local master in 1932. From 1922 until 1924, he was a member of the Shawnee County Bar Association. He enjoys tennis and gardening and is a rabbit fancier. Residence: Rossville; Office: Topeka. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, pages 184-185)
back to Woodson County Trails
Copyright © 2012 Kansas Genealogy Trails' Woodson County host & all Contributors
All rights reserved