Oil Inspector Bauersfeld Shoots Himself at Leroy

Yates Center, Kan., March 11 - F. S. Bauersfeld, deputy coal oil inspector under Dr. Wharton, shot and killed himself at Leroy this afternoon. This is the result of a quarrel he had with W. O. Decker last Sunday, in which he cut the latter quite seriously in the neck. Mr. Bauersfeld left Yates Center at noon today for Leroy and no one had the least intimation that he contemplated self-destruction. Dr. Wharton had given him an order to go to Fort Scott to inspect some oil. The deceased has a brother in business here with whom he had been staying this week. Mr. Bauersfeld was well known in the county and until his trouble last Sunday was regarded as happy and contended.

Another Account

Burlington, Kan., March 11 - A telegram from Leroy to the coroner says that F. S. Bauersfeld of that place, deputy oil inspector under Dr. Wharton, and who had assaulted and nearly killed Dr. Decker with a knife last Sunday, was found dead in his office this afternoon with a bullet in his brain, holding a pistol in his hand. He had been drinking very heavily for some time, and this coupled with the deadly assault upon Decker and his insane jealousy of his wife, caused him to commit the rash act. Decker, his victim, is still lying in a very critical condition. (Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital, March 15, 1898, Page 5)



A pathetic story comes from Yates Center of a man who  made a life long sacrifice for the woman he loved, with a fidelity and self abnegation rarely met with in real life.  The man's name is Leonard B. Bleeker.  He died at Yates Center last week leaving a statement that he had a wife and family living who supposed he had been killed in the Civil war.  As his wife had married again he did not let her know of his existence.  Although he was entitled to a pension he never applied for one, for fear it would reveal his identity.

When Bleeker entered the army he left his wife and children in Michigan.  After much hard service he was captued and confined for eighteen months in Andersonville prison.  In order to escape punishment for an effort to escape Bleeker exchanged names and military designations with a dying comrade and he was reported dead to the War department.

Bleeker's wife being officially notified of his death, married again and when the soldier returned at the close of the war he found another man in his place.  He left the neighborhood without making his identity known and never returned.  Even in his last statement he refused to give the names of persons or places.
(The Iola Register ~ July 14, 1899)



YATES CENTER, Kan. --- Hugh R. Campbell, 84, lifetime area resident and owner of H. R. Campbell and Sons Funeral Home, died Saturday.  Services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Yates Center Christian Church.

Campbell founded the funeral home in 1927.

He was past master of Gilead chapter of Masonic Lodge.

Survivors include his widow, Reta; two sons, Dale, Yates Center, and Francis, Eureka, Kan.; and two brothers, Ray Rhea, Wichita, and Irvin, Iola, Kan.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Sunday ~ October 19, 1969)


By a private letter from Mr. Burns at Yates Center, we learned Tuesday that Gen. Dexter E. Clapp died at that place at 6:30 a.m. of that day.  He was buried with Masonic honors the following day.  Gen. Clapp has long been a prominent citizen of that county and was universally respected throughout this portion of the State.
(The Iola Register ~ June 23, 1882)


Benjamin F. Clayton 1832-1884

 Benjamin Clayton was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, June 11, 1832 and died in his home in Yates Center, Kansas, October 16, 1884; at the age of 52 years, 4 months, and 1 day. Mr. Clayton was enrolled as a private in Co. D. 58th Indiana volunteers, December 5, 1861 and honorably discharged at Savannah, GA, December 31, 1864. He came to Kansas sixteen years ago last September. After spending some time in Franklin and Coffey counties he located in Woodson at Neosho Falls, but on the founding of Yates Center, he was among the first to locate here, where he has since been one of the enterprising men of our city. He was widely known as the proprietor of the "Old Reliable" livery stable, and was always found at his post of duty, ready to oblige his many customers until a few months since when failing health obliged him to take rest. During the past summer, he in company with his family, spent some time at Eureka Springs, Arkansas, afterward making a trip to Iowa, and later to Burlington where Mr. Clayton received medical treatment. But, medical aid was unavailing and he returned to his home to die. As a businessman, Mr. Clayton was enterprising and in social life pleasant and agreeable. His sufferings were protracted and severe, but he was conscious except at brief intervals until the last two hours. Many friends visited him daily during his last weeks and the funeral procession was perhaps the largest ever formed in Yates Center. Religious services and memorial address by Rev. J.C.Hall in the M.E. Church. The burying occurred in the Kalida Cemetery under direction of the I.O.O.F., attended by the Woodson Post of G.A.R. Submitted by: Jeanne Bedwell


Eugene Collins, of Yates Center, died of hydrophobia lately, nine months after he was bitten by a dog supposed to be mad.
(The Iola Register ~ November 9, 1883)



Silas Dace of Fontana, Falls Under Wheels at Yates Center

Yates Center, Kan., June 13 - Silas Dace, aged about 29 years, was killed here at 6 o'clock tonight by a west bound freight train. Dace was riding on the side of the train, and was knocked off by the coal chutes and dragged under the train, breaking his spine, left arm and horribly mangling his body. He was picked up and placed in the Missouri Pacific baggage room and afterwards taken to the Railroad hotel, where he died about 7:30. Dace's home is at Fontana, Kan., and he was on his way to Toronto, Kan. He was well dressed and had money. (The Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital, June 15, 1900, page 8)


Sir James Edgar, speaker of the house of Commons, died at Toronto, Kan. (Mexa Evening Ledger, August 8, 1899, submitted by Tina Easley)


Lota Louise Old, second daughter of Henry E. and Bertha Ellen Randall Old, was born Jan. 6, 1905 on a farm near Burt, Kan. in Woodson County, and passed away Oct. 11, 1985 in the Coffeyville Regional Medical Center at the age of 80 years nine months and five days.

She grew up and attended school in Woodson County and was graduated with a fine arts degree from the University of Kansas. She taught art in Austin, Minn. And Fredonia and Independence, Kansas school systems. She also was employed by Boeing Aircraft Co. and the Kansas Social Rehabilitation Service in Wichita prior to her retirement. She has lived at 414 Ohio, in Coffeyville, since her retirement.

In 1940, she was united in marriage to William D. Faurot who preceded her in death in 1956.

She is survived by three sisters, Oma L. Caldwell of Chanute, Edna O. Thompson, and Fern Old both of Coffeyville, a nephew and two nieces, and a host of other relatives also survive.

Services in her memory were held Saturday, Oct. 12, 1985 at 10:30 a.m. at the Yates Center Cemetery, with Rev. Carl Ellis of the United Methodist Church in charge. Burial was in the Yates Center Cemetery. Campbell Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements. (The Yates Center NEWS; Thursday, October 24, 1985)



San Francisco, Cal., June 17 - Private Orville R. Knight, company F, Twentieth Kansas volunteers, died at the field hospital today of pneumonia. He was from Fort Scott. His remains with those of Private Albert Fergus of Yates Center, who also died of the same disease, will probably be sent to their former homes for burial. (Morning World-Herald, June 18, 1898, page 9)

Yates Center, Kan., June 21 - The first funeral of the present war in this county occurred here this afternoon. Albert Fergus, a private in Co. E, Twentieth Kansas volunteers, died at Camp Merritt on the 16th, and his body was shipped home for burial. The funeral, under the auspices of the G. A. R. assisted by the W. R. C., and Sons of Veterans, was held at the M. E. Church. The body was met at the Santa Fe depot by the G. A. R., and Sons of Veterans. The mayor of the city had issued a proclamation closing the business houses. All the flags of the city were hung at half mast, and long before the hour appointed for the services every available lack of space in the church was occupied. Hundreds stood in the yard and at the windows unable to gain admission. The funeral sermon was preached by Senator Lamb, and was one of the best and most appropriate addresses of the kind ever given in the city. The G. A. R. services at the grave were solomn and impressive. It was by far the largest funeral that ever occurred in Yates Center.

Private Fergus was a mere boy, less than 18 years old, but had the true grit of a man and soldier. His father served three years and eight months in an Illinois regiment during the late war, and is a respected citizen of Yates Center. (The Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital, June 24, 1898, page 3)


Services for Dave H. Fritts, 82, who died Saturday, December 3, 1966, of a heart attack were at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baird-Campbell Funeral Home.

Burial was in the Toronto Cemetery.

Born in Chase County, Kansas, he moved to Greenwood County as a young man and farmed until he moved to Eureka in 1946. he was a member of the Methodist Church.

Survivors include his widow Nina; a son, Bruce of Neal; two stepsons, Edgar Strimple, Eureka, Glenn Wilch, El Monte, Calif.; and two stepdaughters, Mrs. Mable Ward, Eureka, and Mrs. Ethyl Jarrell, Everton, Mo., Eureka Herlad.

Mr. Fritts was the father-in-law of Mrs. Ruby Fritts and a former resident of the Toronto community many years ago. (Yates Center, December 8, 1966)


George W. Fry [1860-1885]

The death of George W. Fry occurred last Monday night about twelve o'clock. Thus the hand of death has once more stolen from us one of our most worthy citizens, a young man bright with prospects and sterling worth. He was born in Delaware County, Ohio in 1860 and came to Kansas in 1871 and removed to Yates Center with his parents soon after its location. He engaged in the newspaper business about six years and was for several years connected with the News, but for the past year or more has been identified with his brother, James B. Fry in the real estate business. He was an honored member of both the Odd Fellows and the K. of P. Lodges. George, as he was usually called, was a young man whom all could respect and his death will leave an aching void in the hearts of all those who knew him. He lived not for himself alone, but as his many acts of kindness bear witness, was one who delighted in aiding his fellowmen to lead a pleasant and happy life. He was a son-in-law of the late Benjamin F. Clayton, who but recently passed from this earthly sphere and the blows falls doubly severe upon his bereaved wife. How true the words, "in the midst of life we are in death." It seems sad to have to give up all ones bright hopes and prospects this early in life but we can do nothing but bow in humble submission to the will of divine providence. Mr. Fry was an ardent friend to the temperance cause, ever putting forth an effort to suppress the great evil. He was one of the charter members of the Good Templars and aided and helped to advance the movement whenever it was in his power to do so. He leaves a wife and two little children and a large circle of friends and relatives to morn their loss. The wife and little ones have the sincere sympathy of the entire community in their sad affliction. The funeral services were held yesterday at 10 o'clock a.m. in the M.E. church under the auspices of the Odd Fellows, assisted by the Knights of Pythias. Rev. J. C. Hull conducted the funeral services. Submitted by: Jeanne Bedwell

Taken from the Toronto newspaper in Woodson County, Kansas dated August 11, 1932


Obit: Born in New Jersey in 1804 son of Charles and Matilda Gaskill. Samuel and Mariah Gaskill moved to Southern Kansas in 1863 where they were early settlers. Then months later the same year Samuel was stricken with fever and died, And still in the prime of his years having never been sick up to that time. HIs widow survided him a great many years and was 91 when she died. She spent her declining years in the home of her son William, who became well known in the that section of Kansas as a horse dealer. After reaching his majority age in Medina Co Ohio He Married Maria A Sears born in Pa 1802. Samuel was a Blacksmith by trade many sons and Daughtars. (Submitted from a Ohio Newspaper by John Ziegler)


Mrs. A. H. Gillis, a former resident on the Kansas side, died at Yates Center, Kas., today. She was the wife of A. H. Gillis, receiver of the Yates Center National Bank and formerly superintendent of parks on the Kansas side. She is survived by her husband and two children. (Kansas City Star, March 7, 1916, page 3)


Yates Center, Kan., March 26 - Wm. Gilloby, a young man 18 years old, living seven miles from here, accidentally shot himself through the side with a double barrel shotgun loaded with buckshot and died an hour later. The shot almost tore his body in two at the waist. (The Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital, March 29, 1898, page 2)


Walter Goodrich, aged 18 years, son of C. H. Goodrich, cashier of the Neosho Falls bank, was drowned the other evening in the Neosho river at that place while bathing.
(Leavenworth Advocate ~ Saturday ~ July 6, 1889)



Yates Center, Kan. --- Services for Mrs. Lena (Loehr) Halfmann, 86, retired cook who died Wednesday, will be at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Joseph Catholic Church here.  Burial will be in Ost, Kan., Cemetery.

Rosary will be recited at 8 p.m. Sunday at St. Joseph's Church.

Born at Cheney, Mrs. Halfmann moved here in 1903.  She was a member of Altar Society of St. Joseph's Church.

Her husband, Anthony, preceded her in death.

Survivors include three sons, Frank Loehr, Wichita, William Loehr, Belton, Mo., and Al Loehr, Yates Center; two daughters, Mrs. Christiana Steffens, Conway Springs, Kan., and Mrs. Gertrude Halfmann, Yates Center, two brothers, Leo Hamersky, Wichita, and Alfonse Hamersky, Cheney, and three sisters, Mrs. Hattie Ewertz, Keenesburg, Colo., and Mrs. Lizzie Conrady and Mrs. Gertie Schober, both of Garden Plain, Kan.

Smith Funeral Home has charge.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Saturday ~ April 5, 1969)


Ross Albert Jolly, son of William and Mary Jolly was born May 17, 1887, in Benton, Arkansas. He died at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Wichita, Kansas, June 19,1966.

He was married on May 9, 1934, to Nellie Louise Hamilton, who preceded him in death on April 25, 1964.

Mr. Jolly enlisted in the U.S. Army on June 28, 1913, at the age of 26. He served first at Fort Logan, Colorado. He saw action against Mexican bandits in 1916 near Satruo, Mexico. He re-enlisted June 28, 1917 and was commissioned first Sergeant on November 1, 1918. He was furloughed to the Army Reserve on February 17, 1919 and was discharged June 27, 1920. During World War I, he was assigned to the training of recruits at Camp Lee, Virginia.

Prior to and after his marriage, he was engaged in farming in the Ward School community, moving to California in 1936, he and his wife returned to Toronto in 1939.

He was a faithful member of Toronto Post 325, the American Legion and the Veterans of World War I.

He is survived by his sister, Mrs. Nellie Chapman, Sacramento, Calif.; three nieces, Mrs. Rose Stuber, Fall River, Kans., Mrs. Mary Hart, Sacramento, and Mrs. Lucretia Waite, Sacramento; a grand-niece, Mrs. Amy Rogers, Toronto; his step-daughter, Mrs. DelMonte Powelle, Manhattan; and a host of other relatives and friends.

Mr. Jolly’s capacity for friendship will be long remembered.

Services in memory of Mr. Jolly were conducted from the First Methodist Church Toronoto on June 21, 1966, officiated by Rev. George Almquist Soloist was R.F. Schaechtele, accompanied by Mrs. Kenneth Baker. Pallbearers were Lee Moon, Jim Adamson, Frank McCurdy, Ray Bogle, Dale Chilcott and Ed Ward. Honorary pallbearers were, Oscar Nihiser, Max Goodwin, Clarence Wheeler, Grover Todd, Lester Ward and Charles Barker. Interment was in Toronto Cemetery. (Toronto Republican; June 23, 1966; Submitted by: Judy Mayfield)


The following was taken from a Toronto, Kansas newspaper dated August 29, 1929

S. H. Kindblade Killed

S.H. Kindblade was fatally injured Monday morning when he was struck by a south bound Santa Fe freight train near his home a mile south of Toronto. The accident occurred at a grade crossing, as Mr. Kindblade was walking from his home to a field across the tracks and it is thought that as his hearing has been impaired for many years, he failed to hear the train bell and whistle.

Although suffering several deep scalp wounds, a fractured hip, fractured left leg and the loss of two fingers from his left hand, he lived about twelve hours after the accident occurred. He never completely regained consciousness.

He is survived by his wife and four children: Mrs. Emily Shaffer of Kansas City, Mo., Mrs. Fred Brown of Stafford; Oscar Kindblade of Toronto and Fred Kindblade of Wichita.

Funeral services were held here Wednesday afternoon and interment was in the East Side cemetery.

These are excerpts from his obituary:

Samuel H. Kindblade was born October 19, 1844 and died August 26, 1929. Age at the time of death- 82 years. In June 1874 he was united in marriage to Susan A. Walter of Ringgold county, near Caledonia, Iowa. To this union six children were born, four boys and two girls, two of whom preceded him in death a number of years now.

In early life he devoted his life to teaching school. Later he was a carpenter and farmer.He had made his home in the vicinity of Toronto since 1884.

Until his hearing was impaired he, with his wife, regularly attended the Christian church. Interment was in the Toronto cemetery.

Submitted by L Morgan


Susan Freed Walter, daughter of Abraham and Martha (Freed) Walter was born near Dayton, Ohio, August 26, 1852 and departed this life August 4, 1932 at her home in Toronto, Kansas lacking but a few days of being 80 years of age.

When but a small girl her parents moved to Calendonia, Iowa and she grew to womanhood. On June 18, 1874 she was united in marriage to Samuel H. Kindblade of Calendonia, Iowa.

In 1884, she came with her husband and three children to Toronto, Kansas. Here, three other children were born.

When a young woman, she accepted Christ as her Savior and united with the Christian church in Toronto. As long as health and circumstances permitted she was an active worker and during her whole life found her greatest joy and comfort in the Word of God and her Christian faith. She was a quiet, home loving person, and always took a keen delight in her family, her flowers and the outdoor world.

Two children and her husband preceded her in death. Those remaining to mourn her departure are: Mrs. Emily Shaffer of Kansas City, Mo., Oscar Kindblade of the home in Toronto, Kansas; Mrs. Pearl Brown of Stafford, Kansas; and Fred Kindblade of Wichita, Kansas. She also leaves eight grandchildren, besides a great number of devoted and appreciative friends and neighbors. Funeral services were held in the home Saturday afternoon, August 6, after which the remains were interred in the East Side cemetery, Toronto. Paul M. Padden was director of the services

Submitted by L. Morgan



Yates Center --- Julius Marhenke, of Eureka was killed and two men were seriously hurt when Marhenke sent his automobile off a bridge east of here into Cherry creek.
(Meade County News ~ August 25, 1910)



YATES CENTER, Kan. --- Services for Mrs. Mary O'Donnell, 91, lifetime area resident who died Saturday, will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at St. Joseph Catholic Church of which she was a member.

She was the wife of retired Yates Center banker W. J. O'Donnell.

Other survivors include two daughters, Mrs. Helene Schnell, Yates Center, and Mrs. Marie Brewer, Wichita; two brothers, Edward A. Eisenbart, Meade, Kan., and Albert E. Eisenbart, Golden City, Mo.; and two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Goloby, Okmulgee, Okla., and Mrs. Clara Gregg, Yates Center.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Monday ~ January 8, 1968) 



YATES CENTER, KAN. --- William J. O'Donnell, 91, former director of the State Exchange Bank, died Saturday in an Allen County, Kan., hospital.

Services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday in St. Joseph's Catholic Church.  Rosary will be said at 7:30 p.m. Monday in Smith Funeral Home.

He was born in Paola, Kan., and came to Yates Center with his family in 1905.  Joining the State Exchange Bank in 1909 as assistant cashier, he later served as president and chairman of the board.

He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Helene Schnell, Yates Center, and Mrs. Marie Brewer, Wichita.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Sunday ~ September 18, 1969)



Teacher-Merchant Dies Saturday

Chester R. Old, 80, former rural school teacher and grocerman, died Saturday, February 26, 1966, at the Hill Crest Nursing Home. Mr. Old had been in failing health for some time.

He is survived by his widow; two daughters, Mrs. Reginald Webber, of Yates Center and Mrs. Lloyd Barham of Newton; and a son, Lynndel Old of Garden City; also a sister, Mrs. Alta Mulsow of Yates Center.

Services in his memory were held Monday from the First Christian Church with burial in Yates Center Cemetery. An obituary appears elsewhere in this issue. (The Yates Center NEWS; Thursday, March 3, 1966)


Death of Henry Peters.

A gloom of sadness pervaded the town Monday morning when it was announced that commissioner Henry Peters, of Eminence township, had died at 10 o’clock the night before, from injuries received by a horse falling on him Wednesday evening of last week.

Henry Peters, son of Christoph and Louisa Peters, was born at Mecklephurgh, Germany, Aug. 11, 1847, died at his home, two miles west of Rose, Kansas, Sept. 6, 1896, aged 49 years and 25 days. When Henry was 8 years old his father, with his family, in the act of emigrating to America in 1853, died on board the vessel and was buried at sea. The widow and four children reached their destination at Orchard Grove, Lake county, Ind. In this boyhood days he had the advantage of a common school education. At the age of 16 he felt the inspiration of a young patriot and enlisted in the 12th Ind. Cal. Of the Western Department, and served his country well till the close of the war. In 1866 he worked his way through from Indiana to Woodson county, by driving a team for Mr. Allen Hale, with whom he made his home for a few years, working as a farm hand among the neighbors, always finding employment, and saving his hard earnings. In 1867, he responded to the call to go on the plains to fight Indians, under the gallant General Custer where he served as a brave soldier for seven months through a hard winter. At the age of 25, in March, 1870, he was married to Miss Charlotte Patterson, and settled on the quarter section adjoining Allen Hale. With his little savings he built a small house of two rooms, planted trees and shrubbery about it and began to develop his life’s plans in breaking up the prairie and putting it to crop, and soon met misfortune in the failure of crops, but by the perseverance characteristic of his ancestors, he succeeded little by little, investing his spare money in calves and pigs, so that within 10 years he had a good home and was looking out for more land, having planned to build a commodious house in 1880, and in 1881 as the acne of their expectations of a comfortable home and surroundings were reached, the dark cloud, before which all humanity trembles, gathered over the home and his faithful bosom companion was stricken by death’s relentless hand, leaving four boys and one girl to his care. Now, more than ever, he attended strictly to business. In the fall of 1885, he was married to Miss Catherine Williams, daughter of Dad Williams of Buffalo, who, by the counsels of a good mother and a kindly disposition, was so well fitted to become the mother of these children. Mr. Peters then began anew to enlarge his plans for life, buying more cattle and more land, working full hours with his hired help and growing up boys, until at death he owned three quarter sections in a body, 50 or more acres in the townsite of Rose, and had cattle, horses and other availabilities to leave his family in comfortable circumstances. On Sept. 3 he was riding a horse after some cattle and by some misstep fell on him, inflicting internal injuries from which he died Sept. 6. He grew in the same ratio in the respect and esteem of the citizens of the county, who honored him at the last election with the office of county commissioner. A final proof of his standing was the largest funeral gathering ever met at the Brush school house, where his remains rest beside his wife. He leaves one boy and one girl with his widow and family to cherish his memory. Mr. Peters never made profession of religion, time and again, as he was approached on the subject, his answer was, “when I get ready,” over and over again, “when I get ready.” He died as he lived. He was a K. of P. at Buffalo and a G. A. R. at Yates Center. The K P’s honored his burial with their ritual and songs. Sept. 8, the funeral sermon was preached by Rev. C. H. Grainley, pastor of the M. E. church at Buffalo, from the text, “Prepare to meet they God,” assisted by Rev. G. H. Lamb of the Christian church, and Rev. A. Hale of the Baptist church.

As stated above, Mr. Peters was a member of the board of county commissioners and his record as a public officer is above reproach. His work characterized by fairness and impartiality. In his death the county loses an honored citizen, and the bereaved family a kind and indulgent husband and father. (The Yates Center News, September 11, 1896, page 5, submitted by Neva Abbott)


A Founder of Yates Center Dead

Yates Center, Kas., Jan. 23 - Maj. Thomas W. Plummer, Civil War veteran and pioneer resident of Kansas, died at his home today after an illness of several months. Major Plummer was an officer in a Wisconsin regiment. He came to Woodson County, Kansas in 1875. He was one of the founders of Yates Center and had always been a leader in business life here. (Kansas City Star, January 24, 1915, page 3A, section 1, submitted by Peggy Thompson)


YATES CENTER, Kan. --- Services for Mrs. Mary Matilda Reep, 85, will be at 2 p.m. Thursday in Zion United Methodist Church.  She died Monday in a Kansas City hospital.

Born in Coffey County, Kan., she lived in Yates Center more than 45 years.  Her husband, Otto S., died in 1952.

Survivors include a son, John E., Wichita; a daughter, Mrs. Elma Greer, Kansas City, Kan., and a brother, Otto Weide, Vinita, Okla.

Smith Funeral Home has charge.

A memorial has been established with Zion Methodist Church.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Thursday ~ October 2, 1969)


Christian E. Schoelkoph, an old resident of Kansas City and a large property owner, died unexpectedly early this morning in the caboose of a freight train near Yates Center, Kan.

Mr. Schoelkoph, who was about 70 years old, lived in the Victoria hotel. He left the hotel last night, but did not give his destination. It was learned this morning that he had boarded a Missouri Pacific train for Yates Center. He was carried past the town. To return he attempted to board a freight train.

He had to run to get the train and when he climbed on board he was exhausted. A few minutes later he died. The body will be brought to Kansas City tonight and the funeral will be held in the Grand Avenue Methodist church of which he was a member. The time had not been set this afternoon.

Mr. Schoelkoph has no surviving relatives so far as is known except a brother, Henry Schoelkoph, who is a wholesale grocer in Chicago, and a sister who lives in Goettingen, Germany. He was a close friend of Mayor Beardsley, who is one of his executors.

Mr. Schoelkoph was born in Goettingen, Germany and emigrated to the United States when he was 16 years old. He had no money and he knew no English. But he rapidly accumulated savings. He came to Kansas City twenty-two years ago and went into the real estate business. At the time of his death he was the owner of the Arlington building at the corner of Tenth and Walnut streets of the Kemper building at Eighth and Delaware and of other large holdings of real estate in Kansas City, in Kansas, Illinois, Missouri and Indiana.

He was a contributor to all good causes and at one time gave to the Ladies Foreign Missionary society a large tract of land on East Fifteenth street. Many other contributions were made by him secretly. He would simply sign the letter accompanying the contribution "from a friend." Sometimes the letter would not be signed.
Mr. Schoelkoph was the owner of the Kensington addition at the end of the old Fifteenth street car line. The street car company wanted a right of way and certain concession from him. He granted them on the written agreement that all cars run over the line should bear the name of the addition. That is the reason the word "Kensington" appears in small letters on all Fifteenth street cars. (The Kansas City Star, October 11, 1906, page 1)



Yates Center News:

William Henry Slavens, only child of Reuben and Martha Slavens, was born at Portland Mills, in Putman county, Ind., Aug. 1, 1849, and grew to manhood in that county.  He attended Asbury (now Dupaw) University, at Greencastle, Ind., during the years 1867 and 1868.  He came to Kansas in 1869 and settled in Neosho Falls, then the county seat of Woodson county, and commenced the practice of law, and was admitted to the bar the same year.  In 1871 and 1872 he edited and published the Neosho Falls Advertiser, and ten years later was editor of the Yates Center News.  He was elected county attorney of Woodson county in 1874, and at the close of his term of office moved to Allen county, and was there elected county attorney in 1878, but resigned before his term of office expired and moved to Yates Center.  He was elected to the office of representative in the State legislature of 1884, and re-elected in 1886 and served with distinction in the regular sessions 1885 and 1887 and in the special session of 1886.

Mr. Slavens received the solid vote of Woodson county for the Republican nomination for congress in the convention of 1888 that nominated the successor to Hon. Thos. Ryan.  In 1892 he formed a law partnership with G. H. Lamb at Yates Center, which partnership continued until the fall of 1895, when Mr. Slavens moved to Kansas City, Kansas, and there engaged in the practice of law.  On March 10, 1897, he moved to No. 227 West 11th St., Kansas City, Mo., where he died at 4:40 a.m., Friday, April 2, 1897 of heart failure.

Mr. Slavens was married to Miss Mary Olive Jones, April 28, 1872, and to them were born two children, Jessie and Queen.  The motehr and children survive to mourn the loss of a kind, indulgent and loving husband and father.  He was a member of the M. E. Church, and had for many years been a prominent Mason and Odd Fellow.  He also held membership in the Northwestern Legion of Honor, and the knights and Ladies of Security, in each of the latter he carried $1,000 life insurance.  Mr. Slavens was an able lawyer and had a wide range of experience in the practice of his profession.  He practiced law at Neosho Falls, Defiance, Burlington, Humboldt, Iola, Yates Center and Armourdale, and in each of these fields he was very successful.

"Billie," for by such name he was best known among his friends, was big-hearted, kind, genial and generous, and "to know him was to love him."  He had been in poor health for some time, but his death was unexpected and a great shock to his family and friends.  There was no warning of the approach of death, just a few gasps for breath and the heart ceased to do its accustomed work and all was over.  His last illness did not last to exceed 10 minutes.

His remains were brought to Yates Center and laid by the side of his father and mother in the Yates Center cemetery, under the rites and ceremonies of the A. F. & A. M.  At his special request Elder G. H. Lamb, his former law partner, read the 22nd Chapter of Revelation and conducted brief religious services at the grave.  His family will remain in Kansas City but they carry with them the love and sympathy of his many friends and neighbors in this county.
(The Iola Register ~ April 16, 1897)


Suanne "Annie" Dalanah West, daughter of Sarah and Asa West, was born December 28, 1869, at Decatur, Illinois, and departed this life, January 10, 1941, at Toronto, Kansas, at the age of seventy-one years. Her father preceded her in death when she was only five years of age.

She moved to Kansas with her mother of step-father, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Taylor, in the year of 1879, living near the former settlement of Twin Falls. Later the family moved to Eureka.\

She was married to Alfred Gulick of Eureka, December 22, 1888.

They both became members and active workers in the early Christian Church of Eureka. She continued to be a willing worker in the cause of Christ as long as her health permitted and lived a life of service to everyone she came in contact with.

To this union eight children were born, three of whom, with their father, preceded her in death.

They moved to a farm near Cleo Springs. Okla., in the winter of 1902, where she cared for her father-in-law and her mother-in-law until their deaths. They returned to Kansas in November, 1916, and lived in and near Eureka the remainder of her life.

Out of a large family, she leaves one sister, Mrs. Mary Linder, of Erie, Kansas, one step-sister, Mrs. Sadie Cochran of El Dorado, Kansa, and one brother, William West of Kansas City, Mo., to mourn her passing.

Also surviving are three sons, Jesse and Ray Gulick of Toronto, and Francis Gulick of Eureka; and two daughters, Ms. Mattie Webster of Toronto, and Mrs. Bernadine Conn of Eureka. She is survived by twenty-four grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren, and a host of relatives and friends.

Funeral service, conducted by Rev. Bert V. Sutton of the Christian Church in Eureka, was held from the Baird Funeral Home here at 2:20 p.m., Monday January 13. Interment was in the Greenwood Cemetery.

Out-of-town relatives who attended the funeral were; Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Krob and children, Winnie Faye and Vernon Lee, Mrs. Dollie Sackett, Miss Ellen Gulick, Mr. and Mrs. John Gullick, all of Aline, Okla.: Mr. and Mrs. Felix Linder of Erie; Mr. and Mrs. Wm. West and son, Jessie West, all of Kansas City; Mrs. Bessie Cochran and son of Wichita; Mr. and Mrs. John Lake of Haven, Kansas; Mrs. Lizzie Hayes and Cecil Linder of Beloit; Mrs. O. C. Webster and daughter, Evelyn, of Toronto. (Taken from The Eureka Herald, January 16, 1941 Page 1, Submitted by Debbie Snyder)



Iola, Kansas, Sept. 15 --- Abner Yates, the founder of Yates Center, Kansas, died yesterday in this city.  In 1875 he purchased a section of land which afterwards was made the townsite of Yates Center.  He was a brother of Robert Yates, the war governor of Illinois.
(Barton County Democrat ~ September 16, 1904)


Prof. J. J. McBride, of Neosho Falls, died at Toronto last Saturday evening from recent injuries received by falling from the second story window of a hotel.
(The Iola Register ~ October 30, 1885)


Copyright © 2013 to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Woodson County host & all Contributors

All rights reserved