WYANDOTTE COUNTY, KANSAS
THE COUNTY SEAT AT WYANDOTTE
By vote of the people at the November election in 1859 Wyandotte was made the permanent county seat. On July 11, 1860, a proposition was submitted by Isaiah Walker to sell to the county lot 46, in block 93, on Nebraska avenue, in the city of Wyandotte, "with the frame building thereon*' for a court house site. For this the county paid $50 in scrip and $1,750 in bonds to run ten years at ten per cent interest. The proposition was accepted and the land then purchased was used for the first Wyandotte county court house and jail.
At the meeting of July 11, 1860, it was ordered that the register of deeds be authorized to record the plat of the Wyandotte lands, and the description of the allotment of the same, from the copies thereof in the office of the county clerk and $25 was appropriated for such use. The demand of William McKay for the use of the court room for the May (1860) term of the district court was allowed. The amount was $20. The matter of a new county jail was considered, and, there being neither plans nor propositions on hand satisfactory to the board, it was ordered that the clerk post up notices in not less than three conspicuous places in the county, calling for further plans and proposals for a county jail to be presented to the board May 30, 1860, at which time it was decided to further consider the matter.
Source: History of Wyandotte County Kansas: and it's people - Edited and Compiled by Perl W. Morgan - Kansas City, Kansas - Illustrated VOL. 1 - The Lewis Publishing Company Chicago 1911
back to index
Copyright © 2011 to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Wyandotte County host & all Contributors
All rights reserved