Genealogy Trails' Kansas




Rose A. Conway, a secretary and former administrative assistant to President Harry S. Truman, died Monday at her home in Kansas City. "No man ever had a more loyal secretary . . ., the late President once said of her.

The funeral home handling the service arrangements for Wednesday declined to release her age.

She started working in Washington in 1945, only four weeks before Truman was elevated from the vice presidency following the death of President Franklin Roosevelt. She called her appointment as Truman's personal secretary "the biggest thrill of my life."

After she left the White House in 1953 with Truman, she refused to discuss her years on his staff except to say that Truman was "the perfect boss . . . He never said a cross word to me."

Miss Conway continued as Truman's personal secretary until his death in 1972 and worked at the Truman Library until her retirement in 1975.

She was born in Emporia, Kan., but lived most of her life in Kansas City. (The Boston Globe, March 18, 1980)


Mary Redmond Day, 72, a retired Washington attorney and former Arlington resident, died Saturday at her home in New Smyrna Beach, Fla., after a stroke.

Mrs. Day was a native of Kansas City. She graduated from law school and practiced law there until moving to Washington in 1935.

She was an attorney with the Justice Department for about 10 years before leaving to enter private practice after World War II. She retired to Florida four years ago.
She was a member of the District of Columbia and Missouri bar associations and was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court.

Survivors include her husband, retired U.S. Court of Claims Judge William E. Day of New Smyrna Beach; a brother, John E. Redmond of Kansas City, and a sister, Josephine E. Rolfson of Silver Hill. (The Washington Post, March 18, 1980)


Robert S. Dudley, 70, retired Associated Press newsman, died Friday at Suburban Hospital of complications from rheumatoid arthritis. He lived in Rockville.
Mr. Dudley joined the AP in 1934 in Memphis, Tenn. Later he worked in Nashville, New York City andKansas City, Mo.

In 1934, he returned to New York City, where he worked on AP's general news desk until his retirement in 1972, when he moved to Rockville.

Mr. Dudley was born in Clay County, Ark. He grew up in Jonesboro, Ark. He attended the University of Arkansas.

He was past president of the Rockville Senior Associates and a member of St. Elizbeth's Catholic Church inh Rockville.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Sara Bridenthal; two daughters, Charolette D. Otterback of Gaithersburg, and Roberta . Arvani of Birmingham, Mich.; two brothers, David D., of Springfield, Mo., and Remmel H., of Falls Church, and seven grandchildren. (The Washington Post, July 21, 1980)


Leland Hazard, sometimes described as the philosopher of the Pittsburgh Renaissance, the city's vast urban renewal program, died today at his home. He was 87 years old.

Mr. Hazard, who had been active in the fields of law, business, urban affairs, art, literature and transportation, was equally at home examining the remnants of Greek civilization or expounding on the merits of a mass transit plan for Allegheny County.

Discussing this city's physical renaissance after World War II, he noted that it took more than a park, a symphony concert or a museum to bring about culture.
"If Pittsburgh is to become preeminent in spirit," he said, "she must make of herself a place where tolerance is stronger than fear of dissident thought and taste; where untruth will be looked in the face and talked, not shouted, down; where what is right is more searched for than what is wrong."

Proposals Were Adopted

Although Mr. Hazard never held an official position with the city, many of his ideas were adopted bycity planners. Among his proposals dating back to the 1960's were separate lanes for buses and for private cars, limitations on truck deliveries in the downtown area and free mass transit. Those ideas were all put into operation to some extent in recent years, long after he proposed them. The city now provides free mass transit for the elderly.

In his autobiography, "Attorney for the Situation," published in 1975, Mr. Hazard conceded that he was not only a public figure but was frequently controversial and almost casually took up lost causes.

He practiced law for 17 years in his native Kansas City, Mo., before joining Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company, now P.P.G. Industries, in 1938 as general counsel. He later became a vice president and director of the company.

He retired from P.P.G. in 1958 and became professor of industrial administration and law at the Graduate School of Industrial Administration, Carnegie Institute of Technology, now Carnegie-Mellon University. He said when he left P.P.G. that businessmen knew a great deal about business but less about the philosophy of business, which he felt was important for them to learn.

Worked on Farm

In his autobiography, Mr. Hazard described his life in Kansas City, where he was born July 7, 1893, the son of the owner of a secretarial school. As a boy he churned butter, ground coffee beans in a handmill and gathered in the wheat on his grandmother's farm.

Mr. Hazard graduated from the University of Missouri, served in World War I, enrolled in Harvard Law School but stayed only one year because of diminishing family finances. He studied at home and passed the Missouri State Bar Examination in 1920 without earning a law degree. In 1970 Carnegie-Mellon University awarded him the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws.

He was active in upsetting the Tom Pendergast political machine which ruled Kansas City politics in the 1930's. Mr. Hazard is survived by his wife, Mary, and sister, Lulu Woodruff of Kansas City. Services are incomplete. (The New York Times, August 18, 1980)


Services will be conducted at 1 p.m. tomorrow in Cambridge for Paul Lakin, 61, of Boston, a salesman for several companies. A resident of Garrison street in the Fenway section of Boston, he died at home Sunday after a long illness.

Mr. Lakin was born in Liberal, Mo. He attended Kansas City public schools and the Kansas CityCollege of Commerce. He was employed as a salesman for many years with Wearever Aluminum, Fuller Brush, and Dictograph.

He leaves his wife, Elizabeth M. (Angell); four sons, Paul Jr. of Stow, Alan W. of California, Dale R. and David S. of North Andover; a daughter, Margaret E. of Boston; and a sister, Thelma Dye of Kansas City, Mo.

The funeral will be in the Cambridge Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Burial is planned later in Durkee Family Cemetery, Tunbridge, Vt. (The Boston Globe, March 18, 1980)


J. William Mehring, president of the Corn Products Unit of CPC North America and a vice president of CPC International Inc., died of a ruptured aneurysm Monday at Englewood Hospital, Englewood, N.J. He was 63 years old and lived in Denville, N.J.

Mr. Mehring began his career with CPC International, the world's largest corn refiner and a manufacturer of brand-name grocery products, in 1938 as a process-engineering student. He later served as a plant manager in Bayonne, N,J., and North Kansas City, Mo.

In 1968 he was named vice president and general manager of manufacturing and engineering for CPC's industrial division, and in 1977 became vice president and industrial business coordinator of CPC International.

He served in the Marine Corps Reserve from 1936 to 1940 and was activated during World War II. He is survived by his wife, the former Frances Bearse; two daughters, Josephine Parisi of Livingston, N.J., and Carol Dunn of Seattle; three sons, Joseph, W. 3d of Rochester, Peter H. of Lake Shawnee, N.J., and Michael M. of Philadelphia; two sisters, Ursula Cody of Columbus, Ohio, and Patricia DeShon of Akron, Ohio, and four grandchildren. (The New York Times, September 25, 1980)


Dagmar Horna Perman, 52, a scholar, social activist and mother, died of cancer in Jerusalem last Friday. Mrs. Perman, an associate professor of history at Georgetown University, had a career that joined the historian's passion for careful research of the past with the concerned citizen's bold involvement in the immediate social issues of the present.

Mrs. Perman earned national attention in the early 1970s when she helped organize a group of southeastern Pennsylvania citizens in a legal fight against Charnita Inc., a land development company then thriving in that area. Mrs. Perman, along with her husband, Dr. Gerald Perman, Washington psychiatrist, owned property near the Charnita operation.

The group contended that Charnita was heedless of local and national laws involving fair trade practices and land development. The president of Charnita charged that "I'm being harassed by half a dozen nuts." But the madness of Mrs. Perman was to believe that the law of the land could be used to salvage respect for the land.

By the time Mrs. Perman was finished with Charnita, the Federal Trade Commission had ordered it to offer refunds to hundreds of customers and the Department of Housing and Urban Development ordered an indefinite ban on the sales of lots. The operation eventually went bankrupt.

One of the ironies throughout the Charnita struggle was that some of her opponents characterized Mrs. Perman as "a Commie." Actually, Mrs. Perman had fled her native Czechoslovakia in 1948 at the onset of the communist takeover there. She was on board the last plane to leave the country before the borders were closed. After settling in the United States in late 1948, she won a grant from the Federation of Women's Clubs of Kansas that enabled her to pursue a master's degree at the University of Kansas that enabled her to pursue a master's degree at the University of Kansas in Lawrence. She later went to the University of California at Berkeley for her doctorate.

Mrs. Perman's interest in scholarship came from her father, a professor of constitutional law in Prague. She was the author of "The Shaping of the Czechoslovakian State," a book that is now the standard text on the subject. From 1953 to 1956, she played a crucial role in microfilming and classifying captured German war documents, an effort of lasting use to American and international scholars.

In Washington in the early 1960s, Mrs. Perman became involved in the housing problems of the central city. She wrote what became known as "The Gerard Street Report," a document written for All Souls Unitarian Church that became a powerful produ for those believed the poor deserved something better than wornout housing.

Mrs. Perman, who took up her professional career after her children reached their early teens, was regarded at Georgetown as a spirited teacher whose enthusiasm for her subject was infectious.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by a son, Richard Alan, and a daughter, Linda Ann, of the home in Chevy Chase; her mother, Vera Hornova, of Czechoslovakia, and a brother, Otakar Horna, of Bethesda. (The Washington Post, May 31, 1978)


Charles Elkins Rogers, 86, a writer and editor for the Department of Agriculture from 1951 to 1963 and before that an employe of the United Nations and a professor of journalism for many years, died at the Washington Hospital Center Sunday of congestive heart failure.

Dr. Rogers became an associate professor journalism at Kansas State in 1919 and served as head of its department of journalism from 1926 to 1939, when he became head of the department of journalism at Iowa State. From 1946 to 1951, he was an educational relations officer with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the U.N. He then joined the Department of Agriculture's bureau of agricultural economics, later the economic research service, and remained with it until his retirement in 1963.

Dr. Rogers was born in Ozark, Mo. He graduated from the University of Oklahoma, where he was on the football team, and later earned master's degrees from Kansas State and Stanford University. He earned his doctorate from the University of Minnesota.

he served as a lieutenant in the Army in World War I.

Dr. Rogers was a reporter on the Tulsa (Okla.) World and the Kansas City Star before beginning his teaching career in 1919.

He was a member of the Cosmos Club. He also was a member of the Christ Methodist Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Rosemary, of the home in Washington; a son by a previous marriage, Dr. William C. Rogers of Minneapolis; a brother, Herbert N. Rogers of Ozark, Mo.; three granddaughters and one great-granddaughter.

The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to Children's Hospital, Washington, D.C. (The Washington Post, May 30, 1978)


Age 65, a former resident of Takoma Park, Md., Marshall Johnson Shumate, died Monday afternoon. Survived by his wife, the former Mariorie Williams; two stepsons, William Cunningham of Coconut Grove, Fla. and John Cunningham of Kansas City, Kans.; two stepgrandchildren; his mother, Mrs. Cora Shumate of Aliquippa, Pa.; two sisters, Holly O'Neil and Margaret Thomas, both of Aliquippa; three brothers, William H. and James S. Shumate, both of Aliquippa and Harry Shumate, of Beaver Falls., Pa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, at 3:30 p.m, from the chapel of the Lindsey Harrisonburg Funeral Home, with the Rev. Edward T. Wright officiating. Burial will be in Augusta Stone Cemetery. (The Washington Post, July 18, 1979)


Lyle Turner, 77, a lawyer with the Justice Department for 30 years before he retired in 1966, died May 14 at a Carthage, N.C., hospital . Mr. Turner served as chief of the court of claims section of the Justice Department's tax division from 1958 until he retired.

He was born in Centralia, Ill. He earned a law degree at the Kansas City School of Law and engaged in private practice in Kansas City, Mo., before moving here and joining Justice in 1937.

Before retiring and moving to North Carolina in 1966, he received an award from the attorney general "for sustained superior performance."
Mr. Turner is survived by his wife, Faye F., of the home in Carthage, and a brother, George F., of Kansas City, Mo. (The Washington Post, DC, May 22, 1978)


Bruce Watkins, a former member of the City Council and a leading black political figure here, died of cancer yesterday at Research Medical Center after more than two months of treatment. He was 57 years old.

A Democrat, Mr. Watkins lost the city's mayoral race last year to Richard Berkley and learned shortly afterward that he had cancer. He had beaten the incumbent Mayor in theprimary.

Long a political force in Kansas City, in and out of public office, Mr. Watkins was a co-founder of Freedom Inc., a group active in civil rights matters, in 1962. A World War II Air Force veteran, he was also an undertaker.

He was first elected to the City Council in 1963 and served several terms at different times befor resigning to run for Mayor in 1979. He was also Jackson County Clerk from 1967 to 1974 and served as an executive assistant to the regional administrator of the Department of Housing and Urban Development after his defeat in the mayoral race.

Mr. Watkins is survived by two sons, Bruce Watkins Jr. and Robert Watkins, and a sister, LaVerne Watkins Thomas. Funeral services are scheduled for Thursday afternoon in Kansas City. (The New York Times, September 15, 1980)


Word from Kansas City, Kan., to us brings the sad news that the infant boy born to Mr. and Mrs. George Jennings of that city last Sunday, died Tuesday.

We are indeed sorry and extend to our friends Mr. and Mrs. Jennings our profound sympathies. (Wichita Searchlight, December 16, 1905, page 1)


Three Children Killed and Two Injured while Playing - Boy's Kick Causes Avalanch

Kansas City, Kans. - Eight children went to play in a bank of sand here and dug a cave back about 20 feet. Then as they contemplated their work from the inside a body's contemptuous kick shook the sand pit. The 11 foot bank above them fell in, three of the children were killed and two were injured severely.

The dead are: Ethel Hutchinson, 11 years old, Flossie Hutchinson, 14, and Roscoe Sparks, 9.

Lydia Hutchinson, 16 years old sister of the two girls killed and Harold Hutchings, 10 years old, were seriously injured.

By the efforts of Lizzie Sparks, 16, ?, the two injured children escaped death. She saved their lives and her own, by digging them out, not knowing that her brother Roscoe, 9 years old, also had been buried. (Wichita Searchlight, December 2, 1911, page 3)


Doretta Williams, the daughter of Mrs. Rosa Parks, died at her mother's home August 25th 1909. She was fifteen years of age kind and dutiful to her parents and loved by all who knew her. She was a student at Western University and made a good record there. Her funeral was held at the First A. M. e. church August 28th, 1909 and Rev. O. E. Jones made a few appropriate remarks over the remains. Interment at Woodland Cemetery. We thank you very much in advance for this publication.(Wichita Searchlight, September 18, 1909, page 1)


A Deadly Thuderbolt

Kansas City, August, 17 Chief Mercotte, of the Kickapoos, his squaws and five children were killed by lightening in his cabin on the reservation near Netawaka, Kansas, yesterday. (Waco Evening News Waco, Texas August 18, 1888 - transcribed as written by D. Donlon)


Miss Stella Baker Ramsey, aged 42 years, died Tuesday morning in Socorro, N. M. she was a cousin of Mrs. W. H. Bryan, of 1011 Montana street, who left El Paso for Socorro Tuesday night. The body accompanies by the mother, Mrs. Milton Ramsey, was taken Wednesday morning to Kansas City for interment. (El Paso Herald El Paso, Texas November 27, 1912 - submitted by Dale Donlon)

Here is the information submitted to from on Monday, August 29th, 2011 at 10:54 am.
Name of Deceased: John Stillwell Stockton

County Name: Wyandotte

State: Ks

Newspaper: Kansas City Times

Date: 05/08/1900

Submitters Name: Nancy Stuhlman


Kansas City Times 09 May 1900 JUDGE STOCKTON AT REST-Funeral of Old Pioneer is Largely Attended

The remains of the late Judge John S. Stockton, former mayor and prominent lawyer of Kansas City, Kan. were laid at rest in Woodlawn Cemetery yesterday afternoon beneath the shade of trees that were planted by his own hands. Judge Stockton was the founder of Woodlawn cemetery and while setting out shrubbery there on last Arbor day he overtaxed himself and contracted the illness which resulted in his death.
The funeral was probably the largest attended one ever held in Kansas City, Kan. When the hearse reached the cemetery the carriages had not ceased forming at the residence, Sixth Street and Oakland avenue.

The funeral sermon was preached by the Rev. Dr. George of the Westminster Presbyterian Church, Kansas City, Mo and the preacher paid a glowing tribute to the life and character of the dead man.

All of the courts and most of the officers in the city were closed yesterday in respect to Judge Stockton and the officials and business men attended the funeral.

Family links:
Mary Elizabeth Batchellor Stockton (1829 - 1886)*
Cornelia M Stockton (1833 - 1915)*

Manley B Stockton (1869 - 1903)*

Judge John Stillwell Stockton

Birth: 1828
Muskingum County
Ohio, USA
Death: May 6, 1900
Kansas City
Wyandotte County
Kansas, USA

From the Kansas City Times 07 May 1900: JUDGE STOCKTON IS DEAD-Former Mayor of Old Wyandotte Passes Away: Judge John S. Stockton, an old member of the Kansas City, Kan. bar and four times mayor of the city when it was known as Wyandotte died at his home, 558 Oakland Avenue, Kansas City, Kan. yesterday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock aged 72 years.

He was taken ill two weeks ago with inflammation of the heart, after overexciting himself during the Arbor Day exercises at Woodlawn Cemetery. He was the founder of the cemetery and took a great deal of interest in beautifying the grounds. On last Arbor Day he superintended the planting of trees and shrubbery at the cemetery and it is thought he overtaxed his strength.

Dr. H. M. Downs who attended him during his illness was with him when he died and he says the the end came as peacefully as sleep. Nearly all the members of the family were at the bedside during the last moments.

Judge Stockton was born in Zanesville, Oh, and was admitted to the bar at Ottawa, Ill where he was married to Miss Mary E. Batchellor. In 1858 he became a resident of Kansas City, Kan., and lived here up to the time of his death. In 1886, after the death of his first wife, he was married, in Kansas City, Kan., to Mrs. Cora M. Downs, one of the most prominent society women in the state. She survives him, as do three children, Mrs. J. H. Huddleston of Portland, Ore, Richard S. Stockton of Prescott, Ariz and Amanda B. Stockton of Rockford, Mo.

The deceased came from a long line of American ancestors and the family name Stockton, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, was his grandfather and the ancestral home at Princeton, N. J. known as "Moren" is now the property of ex-President Grover Cleveland. It was there that George Washington was many times entertained during the revolutionary days by the Stocktons.

The funeral arrangements have not yet been made but it will probably be under the auspices of the several lodges to which the deceased belonged.

From the Kansas City Times 09 May 1900 JUDGE STOCKTON AT REST-Funeral of Old Pioneer is Largely Attended

The remains of the late Judge John S. Stockton, former mayor and prominent lawyer of Kansas City, Kan. were laid at rest in Woodlawn Cemetery yesterday afternoon beneath the shade of trees that were planted by his own hands. Judge Stockton was the founder of Woodlawn cemetery and while setting out shrubbery there on last Arbor day he overtaxed himself and contracted the illness which resulted in his death.

The funeral was probably the largest attended one ever held in Kansas City, Kan. When the hearse reached the cemetery the carriages had not ceased forming at the residence, Sixth Street and Oakland avenue.

The funeral sermon was preached by the Rev. Dr. George of the Westminster Presbyterian Church, Kansas City, Mo and the preacher paid a glowing tribute to the life and character of the dead man.

All of the courts and most of the officers in the city were closed yesterday in respect to Judge Stockton and the officials and business men attended the funeral. (Kansas City Times, May 8, 1900, submitted by Nancy Stuhlman)




James Gibson died Tuesday afternoon at 1 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. E. Wittman of 725 1-3 Hampshire street, following an illness of two years.

Mr. Gibson was 66 years of age and was a railroad man for many years. He came to Quincy from Kansas City where his wife resides. Besides the widow and the daughter at whose home he died, he leaves five other children, two sons, Oscar Gibson of Davenport, Iowa and James Gibson of Liberty, Mo., and three other daughters, Mrs. Mary Lindsay and Mrs. Effie Peat of Kansas City, and Mrs. Alice Timme of Quincy.

[Source: The Quincy Daily Journal; Feb 23, 1916; Page 7 Transcribed by Debbie Gibson] [Notes: Buried in Greenmount Cemetery, Quincy, IL, Block G, Lot 161, Section NW, Grave C]


Kansas City, Kans. ---- A telegram received in Kansas City, Kan., Sunday afternoon said that John Sullivan, 36 years old, of 547 Ann Avenue, was fatally injured while coupling cars on the Copper Belt Railroad at Bingham Canyon, Utah. A father and two brothers live in Kansas City, Kan. (Haven Weekly Journal, Saturday, January 7, 1905, Page 2, column 2, submitted by Rose Stout)



At 3:40 yesterday afternoon Councilman Joe Welch breathed his last at his home at Tenth and Ann streets. Mr. Welch was one of the pioneer young men and one of the best citizens the city ever had. While it was known that he had been suffering for some time from nervous exhaustion produced by overwork there were few people among his best friends and most intimate acquaintances who had any fear that his case was serious, and the announcement of his death was a shock to the entire community. In 1837 Mr. Welch came to old Wyandotte city when only 18 yers old. He entered the grocery store of William Cook, which was at that time the largest retail store in the city, and became bookkeeper and general manager. Mr. Cook was at that time a member of the board of county commissioners, and being engaged in other lines of business Mr. Welch's work as general manager was exceedingly heavy. After running the grocery for several years Cook sold out and opened a bank, and Mr. Welch was made his leading business man. From the bank Mr. Welch went into the office of county treasurer along in the seventies, being elected on the democratic ticket. After four years' handling the county funds the subject of this sketch retired and accepted an important position with the Pacific express company, which he held until about one year ago, when he resigned on account of his health failing. During the past two years he has been councilman from the Fourth ward, and his official term will expire in a few days. During the past year Mr. Welch had been working at intervals in the county treasurer's office, but was compelled to give up business cares altogether on account of his health. Mr. Welch was known to almost everybody in Kansas City, Kan., and as a business man and public official he was liked by all on account of his honesty and his fair dealing. He was quite prominent as a mebmer of the Knights of Pythias, holding at the time of his death the important office of past grand chancellor. He was also a member of Ivanhoe commandery K. T. and Summunduwot lodge I.O.O.F. The deceased leaves a wife and three daughters. The funeral will be held Monday conducted by the several lodges. (Kansas City Times ~ March 31, 1889)


Kansas City, Kans., October 29 - On Wednesday morning, October 20, 1915, the Death Angel visited the residence of W. E. Randolph at Eleventh and Highland avenue, Kansas City, Mo., and departed with the spirit of one of the most interesting characters in Jackson county.

Mr. Randolph had been the head of the firm of Wyatt-Randolph & Company, Undertakers and Embalmers located at 920 North Third Street, Kansas City, Kans., for a number of years.

he was born in the State of Kentucky in 1859 and spent his early life there. He came to Kansas City about a quarter of a century ago and began the pursuit of his profession as a contractor. He made good. Everyone admired him because the aim of his life was "To do unto others as he would have them do unto him." He was an honest, industrious, truthful and God-fearing man, and to know him was to love him.

Although he had been in declining health for two years, he was always cheerful, kind, affectionate, and during his entire illness a genuine and excellent Christian life was exemplified.

Mrs. Inez Wood Fairfax of Cleveland, Ohio, his niee: Mrs. Wisdom of Tennessee his sister and other relatives were constantly at his bedside. His loving and devoted wife administered to his wants day and night without rest.

This funeral on Sunday, the 24th, at 12:20 p.m. was evidence of the high esteem and regard in which he ws held by his friends. They came from far and near to pay the last tribute of respect and love to their departed friend.

The spacious church edifice at Nineteenth and Vine was packed to overflowing long before the hour set for the services. The wreaths and floral designs, superb in their lovliness, fragrance and abundance, were fitting reminders of the sweetness of the life of the departed.

Dr. Ewing, pastor of the church of which Bro. Randolph was a member delivered a most excellent eulogy, taking as a theme the 14th verse of the 139th Psalm: "I will praise thee for I am fearfully and wonderfully made," etc.

Dr. Bacote, pastor of the Second Baptist Church also spoke briefly. Bro. Randolph was a member of the Knights of Tabor, Odd Fellows and U. B. F. organizations. According to his wishes the Knights of Tabor had immediate charge of the body. Hon J. H. Herriford, Past Grand Chief Mentor acted as Master of Ceremonies. Resolutions and Condolences were read from the various organizations, including the Female Bodies, who turned out enmasse. After which Bro. Herriford introduced C. H. Milton Collins of Kansas, who spoke on Bro. Randolph as a citizen.

The burial ceremonies of the U. B. F. and Knights of Tabor were engaged in; then the prodigious throng were given an opportunity to take the last look at the visage of the departed. Then the cortege wended its way to the beautiful Woodlawn Cemetery in Kansas City, Kans., where the remains were laid to rest in the bosom of mother earth.

He leaves a wife, mother, sisters, brother and many relatives and a host of friends to mourn his loss, which is heaven's gain.

Peace to his ashes. - C. H. Milton Collins. (Plaindealer, November 5, 1915, page 4)


The funeral of Matt Clark, who died at Kansas City was held from Shiloh Baptist church. He was one of Topeka's old citizens and lived here for more than thirty years. He died of pneumonia April 10 and leaves a wife and six children to mourn his loss. He was a member of the G. U. O. of O. F. Shawnee Lodge 1923. He ws born at Harrisburg, Ky. He was a hard working man and leaves a host of friends in Topeka. He had only recently moved to Kansas City to make his home. Burial was made in Richie cemetery. Mrs. Clark and children wish to thank the members of Shawnee Lodge and also their many friends and neighbors both at Kansas City and Topeka. (Plaindealer, April 23, 1915, page 5)


The funeral of Immanuel Jackson was held from the First Baptist Church where he had served up to ? deacon for a number of years. He was a member of Enterprise Lodge, K. of P. U. B. F and Odd Fellows. He leaves to mourn his death three children, a brother and other relatives and friends. (Plaindealer, November 19, 1915, page 7)


The funeral of Mrs. Stewart of Armstrong, Kansas was held from the First Baptist Church Sunday afternoon. (Plaindealer, November 19, 1915, page 7)


The funeral of Mr. William Gunn, 1615 North Third Street, Kansas City, kansas, was held from the chapel at Wyatt and Randolph last week, conducted by Rev. J. R. Richardson. He was a banker. (Plaindealer, November 19, 1915, page 7)

back to index

Copyright © 2012 to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Wyandotte County host & all Contributors
All rights reserved