Kentucky Genealogy Trails

Genealogy Trails

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy




These are biographies that are "state-related" or unidentified locations.  Please check our county sites for their specific data


Henry W. Barry
Barry, Henry W., soldier, congressman, was born in New York City. He entered the union army as a private soldier early in the war; organized the first regiment of colored troops raised in Kentucky; and commanded a brigade and for a time a division of the army. He was brevetted twice for gallant and meritorious conduct, the last brevet being major-general. He was elected a member of the state constitutional convention of Mississippi in 1867; and was elected to the state senate of Mississippi in 1868. In 1869-75 he was a representative from Mississippi to the forty-first, forty-second and fortythird congresses. He died June 7, 1875, in Washington, D.C.   [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by TK]

George M. Bibb
Bibb, George M., lawyer, jurist, United States senator, was born in 1772 in Virginia. He was in the Kentucky state senate two years; held the position of chancellor of the court of chancery; and was secretary of the treasury. He afterwards practiced his profession in Washington, D.C.; and acted as an assistant in the office of the attorney-general of the United States. In 1809-27 he was chief justice of the supreme court of Kentucky. He was a United States senator in 1811-15 and in 1829-35. He died April 14, 1859, in Georgetown, D.C.   [Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

James Gillespie Birney
Birney, James Gillespie, statesman, abolitionist, author, was born Feb. 4, 1792, in Danville, Ky. He was a statesman famous for his opposition to slavery. He was twice a candidate for the presidency of the United States - in 1840 as the nominee of the abolitionists, and in 1844 as the nominee of the Liberty party. He was the author of Ten Letters on Slavery and Colonization; Addresses and Speakers; and American Churches the Bulwarks of American Slavery. He died Nov. 25, 1857, in Perth Amboy, N.J.  [Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains 35,000 Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by TK]

Simon Bolivar Buckner
Simon Bolivar Buckner, a noted American officer and major-general in the Confederate army, was born in Kentucky in 1823. He graduated from West Point Military Academy in 1844, served in the United States infantry and was later assigned to commissary duty with the rank of captain. He served several years at frontier posts, and was assistant professor in the military academy in 1846. He was with General Scott in the Mexican war, and engaged in all the battles from Vera Cruz to the capture of the Mexican capital. He was wounded at Cherubusco and brevetted first lieutenant, and at Molino del Rey was brevetted captain. After the close of the Mexican war he returned to West Point as assistant instructor, and was then assigned to commissary duty at New York. He resigned in 1855 and became superintendent of construction of the Chicago custom house. He was made adjutant-general, with the rank of colonel, of Illinois militia, and was colonel of Illinois volunteers raised for the Utah expedition, but was not mustered into service. In 1860 he removed to Kentucky, where he settled on a farm near Louisville and became inspector general in command of the Kentucky Home Guards. At the opening of the Civil war he joined the Confederate army, and was given command at Bowling Green, Kentucky, which he was compelled to abandon after the capture of Fort Henry. He then retired to Fort Donelson, and was there captured with sixteen thousand men, and an immense store of provisions, by General Grant, in February, 1862. He was held as a prisoner of war at Fort Warren until August of that year. He commanded a division of Hardee's corps in Bragg's Army of the Tennessee, and was afterward assigned to the third division and participated in the battles of Chickamauga, and Murfreesboro. He was with Kirby Smith when that general surrendered his army to General Canby in May, 1865. He was an unsuccessful candidate for the vice presidency on the Gold Democratic ticket with Senator John M. Palmer in 1896. (A Biographical Record of Boone County, Iowa, 1902, Page 188; Transcribed by Peggy Thompson]

John Buford
Buford, John, soldier, was born in 1825 in Kentucky. He served in the civil war; was subsequently assigned to the command of the army of the Cumberland, when he was taken sick and died, on the date of the receipt of his commission as major-general. He died Dec. 16, 1863, in Washington, D.C.   [Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains 35,000 Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by TK]

Addison Cammack
Addison Cammack, a famous millionaire Wall street speculator, was born in Kentucky. When sixteen years old he ran away from home and went to New Orleans, where he went to work in a shipping house. He outlived and outworked all the partners, and became the head of the firm before the opening of the war. At that time he fitted out small vessels and engaged in running the blockade of southern ports and carrying ammunition, merchandise, etc., to the southern people. This made him a fortune. At the close of the war he quit business and went to New York. For two years he did not enter any active business, but seemed to be simply an on-looker in the great speculative center of America. He was observing keenly the methods and financial machinery, however, and when, in 1867, he formed a partnership with the popular Charles J. Osborne, the firm began to prosper. He never had an office on the street, but wandered into the various brokers' offices and placed his orders as he saw fit. In 1873 he dissolved his partnership with Osborne and operated alone. He joined a band of speculative conspirators known as the "Twenty-third party," and was the ruling spirit in that organization for the control of the stock market. He was always on the ''bear" side and the only serious obstacle he ever encountered was the persistent boom in industrial stocks, particularly sugar, engineered by James R. Keane. Mr. Cammack fought Keane for two years, and during the time is said to have lost no less than two million dollars before he abandoned the fight. (A Biographical Record of Boone County, Iowa, 1902, Page 197)

William Christian
Christian, William, son of Israel Christian, was born in Augusta County in 1743. He was a burgess for Fincastle county at its creation in 1773, and until 1775-1776, which saw the end of the house of burgesses; member for Fincastle in the convention of 1775; lieutenant-colonel of the First Virginia Regiment, raised by the state; commanded in 1776 and 1780 expeditions against the Cherokees; in 1785 removed to Kentucky and was killed, April 9, 1786, by Indians. He married a sister of Patrick Henry. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under The Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 – Transcribed by FOFG]

Col. Daviess
[NOTE:  This is probably about Joseph Hamilton Daveiss (March 4, 1774 – November 7, 1811)]
Original Anecdote:   Col. Daviess, who fell in the battle of the Wabash, was a man of high character, a native of Kentucky.  He was a lawyer whose character was tinged with those eccentricities that indicated future genius. There was a difficult question to decide before the court of Kentucky, involving an important question in regard to the title of an estate.  The case embraced a long concatenation of facts and sundry technical niceties.   When the case was called, a Kentucky Hunter, with his musket and bird bag, loaded with provisions, all equipped complete, entered the hall and took his seat amongst the lawyers.  There was a grin on the faces at the bar, court, jury and spectators.  He, all unconscious, took out his provisions and began to eat with the most perfect composure.  The lawyer on the side of the plaintiff, rose and made a long argument. And who answers for the defendant? Enquired the court.  I do, replied the Hunter and rising broke forth into a torrent of eloquence that astonished the court and jury.  Away went the plaintiff, law and evidence; and so complete was the discomfiture that the opposite counsel made a most pitiful reply.  The jury found a verdict for the defendant without retiring from their seats when the court adjourned and invited the stranger to their lodgings.  "No I thank you gentlemen; and unless you will take a cold cut with me, I must be gone." So saying, he shouldered his musket and with great sang froid departed. – Such a man was Col. Daviess.  [The Centinel, Gettysburg, Pa , May 13 1812; Submitted by Nancy Piper]

Field Family
In the early settlement of the colonies in America, two brothers – William and John Field, came from England to this country. The first, William, located in Boston, where his former home is known to this day as Field’s Corner. He left a numerous posterity, of whom was Cyrus W. Field, Judge James Field, Stephen Field and others of fame and notoriety. The second, John Field, of the direct branch, from which Colonel Clay is descended, settled at Jamestown, Virginia. He married a Miss Byrd and left a large family, from whom are descended all of the name throughout the south and west. His eldest son, John, when of proper age to obtain better advantages of education, was sent to England, where, after a college course, he obtained office in the British army, in which capacity he continued until, by promotion, he was made full colonel of a regiment. About 1760, perhaps, his regiment was ordered with General Braddock to the colonies to defend them from the encroachments of the French and Indians. At Braddock’s defeat, in which General Braddock was killed, the command devolving on Colonel Field, he, in conjunction with Colonel George Washington, then colonel of Virginia volunteers, saved the remnant of the army, eventually falling back to Fredericksburg, Virginia. Afterwards he was ordered to northwest Virginia to repel the invading enemy. After marching across the trackless wilderness, through the Alleghany mountains, he descended the Kanawha to its junction with Ohio, now Point Pleasant. There he built a fort, in which his regiment and Colonel Lewis’ regiment of Virginia volunteers was subsequently attacked by a large army of French and Indians. In this bloody engagement Colonel Lewis was killed. Colonel Field and a remnant of the army, besieged by an overwhelming foe, defended the fort three days and nights, then dividing his troops, he stealthily made a detour, attacking the enemy in the rear and throwing them into confusion and defeat. Tiring of army life he resigned his commission in the British Army, and having become possessed of a large tract of land in Culpeper county, Virginia, he removed there with his family and a large number of servants. He built a palatial residence and engaged in the culture of tobacco and wheat until the breaking out of the Revolutionary war, when, being an ardent patriot, though getting old, he again buckled on his sword, raising a regiment in which four sons and three sons-in-law were enrolled members; he joined the Continental Army, under his old friend and army comrade, Washington, and continued in the field until the surrender at Yorktown, in which he participated. Again Colonel Field returned to his home in Culpeper, Virginia, where, surrounded by his family, he died at a ripe old age, full of years and honors, and was buried at his home on the Rapidan, called then and to this day, “The Field Manor.” He married Diana Clarke of Virginia, elder sister of General George Rogers Clarke, and was his guardian during minority. Colonel Field was of large frame and splendid figure, six feet, four inches in height, with dark hair and eyes, and of great endurance. He left four daughters: Mary, Anne, Elizabeth and Judith, who married Messrs. Slaughter, Hill, Kelly and Dulany. His five sons were: Ezekiel Henry (named for his friend and comrade, Major Ezekiel Henry, who fell by his side at Braddock’s defeat), John, Henry, Daniel Abner, and George Rogers Field. All of the above settled in Virginia, and some of them subsequently came to Kentucky, settling in Fayette, Madison, Woodford, Bourbon and Jefferson counties, from whom are descended a numerous connection of Holloways, Burnams, Thorntons, Watkins, Millers, Jones, Craigs, Clays and Whites.
The immediate ancestor of Colonel Ezekiel F. Clay, Ezekiel Henry Field, the eldest son of Colonel John Field and Mary (Clarke) Field, when about fourteen years of age, accompanied his father, who had discovered the salt spring at Kanawha, and some neighbors to this place, to make salt for home consumption. One day, while wandering in the forest, he was seized by some Shawnee Indians and taken captive to their town, Chillicothe, Ohio, where (after running the gantlet, the scars from which showing on his person until death), he was adopted by a squaw, living with the Indians for two years. Accompanying a trading party to Fort Duquesne, near Pittsburg, he was recognized and ransomed by Colonel Bayard, the commanding officer, and returned to his father in Virginia. There, after taking part in his father’s regiment in the Revolutionary war, he married his cousin, Elizabeth Field, daughter of Henry Field, of Culpeper, Virginia, with whom and their two children, Willis and Stanly, and a few emigrants, he came to Kentucky, settling at first at Boonesborough, then at Harrods Fort in 1779. After settling his young wife, children and negroes, he was induced by his uncle, George Rogers Clarke, to organize a company of scouts to watch and report to the stations the raids of the Indians across the Ohio; also, to locate bodies of land given his father as military bounty pay. In August, 1782, he volunteered to go to the relief of Bryan’s Station, and following on the Blue Licks was killed in that bloody battle. In June preceding his death had been born to his wife her third son (named for his father, Ezekiel Henry Field), who afterwards settled in Richmond, Kentucky, married Miss Patsey Irvine, and became a prosperous business man, and was beloved and respected as falls to the lot of few men. He left a number of children, some of whom still reside in Richmond and the vicinity.
After the death of Captain Field, as above stated, his widow determined to return to Virginia with her three children (the eldest six, the youngest an infant) and servants. They traveled on pack horses across the mountains, and after a most perilous trip of a month, they arrived in Culpeper county, Virginia. Their settling on her patrimonial estate, which had not been parted with, she remained until her marriage with Captain McClanahan, of Orange county, Virginia, a warm friend, and a suitor before her first marriage. With him she removed to Bourbon county, near Paris, where they reared a large family of children, of whom there were two sons: William and Thomas. The latter died in Louisville unmarried; the former, William McClanahan, married Amelia Irvine, daughter of Captain William Irvine, of Richmond. There he engaged in merchandise and was a successful business man, living to old age, respected by all who knew him. His daughters were: Elizabeth, Margaret and Emma. They married Messrs. Stone, Turner and Stonestreet; his son Irvine married Miss Moore, and Ezekiel remained unmarried. The daughters of Captain Thomas McClanahan and Elizabeth were: _____, who married Colonel Ward, U.S.A.; Mary married George Holloway; Anne married General William Thornton; Maria married Mr. Watkins. Mrs. Ward left one son, William, of Missouri; Mary raised a large family. Her sons, Colonel William Holloway married his cousin, Elizabeth Field, and Captain E.B. Holloway married his cousin, Eliza Thornton, of Illinois. Captain Holloway fell at Rock Creek, Missouri, in defense of the States. Margaret married Mr. Massie, of Missouri; Sarah married Cyrus Miller, of Kentucky. The children of Ann Thornton (nee McClanahan) were: Margaret, who married Mr. Baysee, of Texas; Eliza, wife of Captain E.B. Holloway; Mildred, Anthony Thornton and William and Thomas Thornton, all of Illinois.
John and Henry Field also moved to Bourbon county, Kentucky (they were sons of Colonel John Field), where they eventually died. Also Larkin Field, the father of Silas Field, an eminent lawyer, and father of Judge Emmet H. Field, of Louisville, were also of this branch. Curtis Field and Lucinda were children of John Field of Bourbon. Stanly Field, the son of Captain Ezekiel Henry Field and his wife Elizabeth, died on the return journey of his mother to Culpeper, when, after her marriage to Captain McClanahan, they returned to Kentucky. They were accompanied by brothers and sisters and occupied a large body of land, previously obtained in Bourbon county, Kentucky. Here they lived for many years. Willis Field, the eldest, remained in Culpeper until the death of his grandfather, Colonel John Field. Then just of age and inheriting some patrimony, he converted it into money, and with some servants moved to Bourbon county, Kentucky, locating on a large body of land, which he afterwards sold to Colonel Hume. He married his cousin, Elizabeth Field, who had recently come from Virginia. She lived but a short time, and he afterwards married Miss Isabella Buck, daughter of Colonel John Buck, of Shenandoah county, Virginia, and moving to Woodford county, settled on a military bounty survey of one thousand acres, where he built the second brick house in the county, calling it “Airy Mount.” Here he lived, and died at an old age, leaving a large family. There were five sons and four daughters, all of whom married and are now dead, except Thomas Field, who now resides in Woodford county, his birthplace. The sons were: John, Ezekiel, Willis, Thomas and Charles. John died unmarried; Ezekiel married, first, Miss Mary Carter, afterwards Miss Susan Dunlap, leaving no children. He was a prominent man, a member of both houses of the legislature from Woodford county; colonel of the first regiment of cavalry in the Mexican war, dying at his residence in Woodford in 1851. Willis married Miss Ellen Craig, of Woodford county; was a large and prosperous farmer, dying in Woodford county in 1875. He left three children: Sam, Willis and Alice, now Mrs. McCleod. Thomas began life as a merchant in Versailles, married Miss Susan Higsbee, of Fayette county, Kentucky, and has since pursued farming in Woodford county. His son, John H. Field, a farmer in Woodford county, married Miss Elizabeth Shryook, of Fayette, Kentucky.
Thomas M., Jr., unmarried, is a lawyer in Kansas City, Missouri. Belle married A. Dunlap and lives in Woodford county. Lena G. Field married A. Harris, and lives in the same county. Charles W. Field, youngest son of Willis Field, a graduate of West Point, continued in the United States Army, being a captain, until the Civil War, then, believing it wrong to coerce by invasion of the States, he resigned, and offering his services to the South, was made a major general, serving throughout the war. He was severely wounded and never fully recovered, but led an active, useful life until his death in Washington, April, 1892. He filled many positions of trust and honor, both civic and military. He married Miss Minnie Mason, of Virginia, leaving two sons: Charles W., a lawyer in Baltimore, and R. Mason Field, in the U.S. Navy.
Having frequently been asked by my children questions in regard to our lineage, I concluded to commit to writing what information I had obtained from my grandmother, Elizabeth Field, wife of Captain Ezekiel H. Field, who lost his life in the battle of the Blue Licks, August, 1782. This information was subsequently confirmed by conversation with Judge James Field, of the U.S. Supreme Court at Washington, who is of the same family.
(Signed) Thomas M. Field
Transcribed by Kim Mohler

Simon Kenton
Simon Kenton, one of the famous pioneers and scouts whose names fill the pages of the early history of our country, was born in Fauquier county, Virginia, April 3, 1755. In consequence of an affray, at the age of eighteen, young Kenton went to Kentucky, then the "Dark and Bloody Ground," and became associated with Daniel Boone and other pioneers of that region. For a short time he acted as a scout and spy for Lord Dunmore, the British governor of Virginia, but afterward taking the side of the struggling colonists, participated in the war for independence west of the Alleghanies. In 1784 he returned to Virginia, but did not remain there long, going back with his family to Kentucky. From that time until 1793 he participated in all the combats and battles of that time, and until "Mad Anthony" Wayne swept the Valley of the Ohio; and settled the supremacy of the whites in that region. Kenton laid claim to large tracts of land in the new country he had helped to open up, but through ignorance of law. and the growing value of the land, lust it all and was reduced to poverty. During the war with England in 1812-15, Kenton took part in the invasion of Canada with the Kentucky troops and participated in the battle of the Thames. He finally had land granted him by the legislature of Kentucky, and received a pension from the United States government. He died in Logan county, Ohio, April 29, 1836. (A Biographical Record of Boone County, Iowa, 1902, Page 189)

Alexander L. Martin, M. D.
Although a resident of Richmond since 1907 and of Virginia ancestry, Dr. Martin's previous life was spent in Elk Creek, Grayson County, the latter county situated in the southwestern part of the state, bordering North Carolina. There his father, William Martin, was born, son of Riley Martin, a native of eastern Virginia. Riley Martin was born in 1795 moved to Elk Creek when young, and there died in 1875. He married (first) a Miss Vaught, (second) Patsy Wright, who bore him four children, one of whom, Joshua, is yet living at Rural Retreat, Virginia. The Martins came to Virginia from Ireland, while Dr. Martin's maternal ancestors, the Cornetts (originally Connaught), came from Scotland.
William Martin, son of Riley Martin, was born at Elk Creek, Virginia, and died in Kentucky. He was a carpenter and builder, removing to Kentucky several years after the war ended. He served in the Confederate army for four years and bore his full share of the danger and privation of that period. After the war he returned to Elk Creek, resumed his trade, and there resided until his removal to Kentucky. He married, in 1866, Sarah, born at Elk Creek, daughter of Alfred Cornett, also born there, on July 1, 1818. Alfred Cornett married, in 1836, Elizabeth Russell, who died aged eighty-five years, he living to the age of eighty-seven years. They had children: Kyre, deceased: Sindy or Lucindy; Sarah; Rosa, deceased; Adeline, Orleans, Martha. Rebecca, Armand, Fleming, Alice, and Reuben, deceased. Alfred Cornett was a farmer, and his sons all served in the Confederate army. William and Sarah (Cornett) Martin had two children, a son and a daughter: Betty, born April 29, 1867, married John F. Parks, and resides at Flat Ridge, Grayson County, Virginia, and Alexander L.
Dr. Alexander L. Martin, only son of William and Sarah (Cornett) Martin, was born at Elk Creek, Grayson County, Virginia, April 24, 1869. He obtained a good education in the Grayson county schools, and Elk Creek Academy, then, having decided upon medicine as a profession, entered the Medical College of Virginia, and was there graduated M. D., April 2, 1895. on May 10, 1895, he passed the required examination before the state board of medical examines and soon afterward located at Elk Creek. He continued in successful practice there for thirteen years, then removed to Richmond, where he began general practice, May 10, 1907, at No. 815 Fourth avenue, Highland Park. He has gained a secure place in public esteem and is rated an honorable, skillful and reliable physician, Dr. Martin is a member of the Masonic order, is an Odd Fellow, belonging to lodge and encampment, a Modern Woodman, a member of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics, and of the Order of Owls. In political faith he is a Democrat, and in religious affiliation a Baptist.
Dr. Martin married, at Elk Creek, May 22, 1895, Nettie J. Rhudy, born there November 5, 1872, daughter of William F. and Callie (Cornett) Rhudy, both of Elk Creek. William F. Rhudy, a farmer and veteran of the Confederacy, died in 1912, aged sixty-nine years. His wife survives him. Children of of Alexander L. Martin and his wife, Nettie J. (Rhudy) Martin: Alexander L. Jr., born July 9, 1903; Birchie Fay, born November 24, 1906.Miss Grace M. Martin, daughter of George W. Martin, was born November 1, 1890, at Elk Creek, Virginia, and was adopted by Dr. A. L. Martin in 1896. Worley S.
Cornett, son of Fleming Cornett, was born at Elk Creek, Virginia, August 10, 1892, and was adopted by Dr. A. L. Martin in 1900, and was educated at Richmond, Virginia. [Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under The Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 – Transcribed by AFOFG]



Copyright © Genealogy Trails