EARLY PROMINENT CITIZENS IN LYON COUNTY EXCEPTING LYON AND ANDERSON
Source: "1964 Class of Lyon County High School Project",
Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Jo Ann Scott
William Boyd—1832 Deputy
Sheriff under J. T. Young as appointed by the Court before the County was established, then elected to office after
elections were held.
William Camel—Head salesman for the Hillman Land and Iron Company and also sheriff of Trigg County.
John W. Clark—Deputy County Clerk, Superintendent of Schools, Clerk of Lyon County and Master Commissioner for 16 years.
George W. Crumbaugh—a Methodist Minister and member of the Methodist Conference for 50 years. He bought the Lyon County Democrat in the 1870's but later started the Lyon County Gazette and consolidated it with the Democrat. In 1884 he began publishing the Saturday Evening Echo and later published the Dawson Ripplings.
James Lester—Postmaster at Eddyville, a,nd also practiced the stone cutting trade in St. Louis. He had the privilege of finishing the portico at the state capitol in Frankfort. He also ran a liquor and dry goods business in Eddyville for 4 years.
William Dycus—Joint owner
of the steam boat line which did business on the Cumberland, Ohio, and Tennessee.
Bruce L. Murphy—Forge man at the Rolling Mill. In 1872 he opened a shop in Kuttawa called Grocerie of Murphy and Mays.
Dr. Thomas Watson—In 1814 came from Virginian His mother's name was Elizabeth Hudson Calloway Watson. As a doctor, he did his practice in Lyon and Trigg Counties. He trained in Louisville and at one time was in charge of the Marine Hospital in Paducah.
Louis Vougal—Came from Brussels, Belgium, and spoke French, German, and English. He bought a farm Between-the-Rivers on which he planted 90 acres of orchard. He later started a lime quarry on this farm from which he shipped lime to Paducah, Nashville, Memphis, and other places. The same quarry also furnished the lime rock which was used in building the Kentucky Dam. The Star Lime Works community grew up around it. It was covered by water from the Kentucky Dam and abandoned.
Thomas J. Watkins—Was Lyon County judge for four terms. He was a graduate of Bethel and taught mathematics. He also practiced law in 1870 and was the grandfather of Dr. Landers.
David K. Williams—Worked as an iron worker and puddler. He ran a livery stable in Kuttawa with T. C. Walker. He became a partner in a general store.
W. J. Stone—Recruited soldiers for the Civil War, and served under General Forest at Shiloh and Missionary Ridge, and was made a captain by John Morgan. In 1875 he was elected to the state legislature and in 1875 used his influence to get the prison located at Eddyville. He was also elected to serve in Congress later in life.
Fredrick Skinner—Served as editor of the Agriculture and Stock Journal. In 1855 he was admitted to the bar and served as judge of Lyon County for 16 years. He also served as assistant postmaster in a mail route to Nashville from Eddyville. The mail was carried by wagon.
Thomas C. Skinner—Became the aid of General H. B. Lyon in the siege of Vicksburg. He was wounded but came back to Kuttawa and established a law office there with a man named Irwin
S. N. Leonard—Served as first vice-president of the Kentucky Banks, and president of the Suwanee Spoke and Lumber Company.
S. J. Snook—Was president of the First National Bank in 1894.
Russel Weir Wake—Appointed judge of the Purchase District by Thomas Jefferson. Russel, a good attorney, practiced in Murray, Caldwell, and for 6 years in Lyon County. He defended William Kelly in all of his law suits and won every case that he defended. He had his office built on top of an Indian mound Between-the-Rivers.
George McCash—(No details given.)
Dan B. Casidy—Was an Irish attorney.
George Cattlett—Was in charge of H. B. Lyon's business.
Alfred H. Champion—Served as a doctor in Lyon County.
William Bowman—(No details available.)
R. L. Cobb—Furnished plans for the first court house in Lyon County in 1854 and loaned the money with which it was built. The loan was in the amount of $8,250.00, payable in annual installments. After the court house was finished, the court would not accept it until Mr. Cobb furnished the benches for the courtroom that he had left out.
Honorable N. W. Utley—Father of the present Judge Francis W. Utley was a graduate of Vanderbilt University where he received all three honors awarded his class. He married Mamie Childers, the daughter of one of the prominent families in Eddyville. Soon after graduation from Vanderbilt, Mr. Utley entered the ministry and was sent as a missionary to Japan by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Here he remained until Mrs. Utley's health began to fail. It was also in Japan that Francis W. Utley was born. On N. W. Utley's return to Lyon County he began the practice of law and became one of the most astute lawyers and shrewdest parliamentarians in the state. Mr. Utley was elected to the Kentucky Senate in 1899.
When Senator Goebel was wounded by an assassin he appointed Senator Utley President pro tempore of the Kentucky Senate and ex-officio Chairman of the Democratic Steering Committee. Senator Utley's supreme discretion caused Senator Goebel to be administered the oath of office as Governor of Kentucky during his dying hours, thus putting the Democrats into power.
Honorable Sam C. Molloy—A brilliant scholar, tutored himself in law and was admitted to the Kentucky bar. He served as Lyon County Attorney from 1898 to 1906. He was instrumental in causing the railroads to pay franchise tax to the county. At one time he was seriously considered as a candidate for the office of Commonwealth Attorney. His excellent record as Lyon County Attorney inspired his son Coleman C. Molloy to serve in the same capacity from 1918 to 1926 and his grandson C. C. Molloy, Jr., to serve as County Attorney from 1942 to 1962. When Eddyville was the County seat of Livingston County, Court was held in a building located on the property lately owned by Judge Francis W. Utley. This same building was used during the time Eddyville served as County seat of Caldwell County. The first court house according to records was built in 1854 at a cost of
© Genealogy Trails and the submitter - all rights reserved