Kentucky Genealogy and History

Montgomery County Ky

Biographies


RICHARD APPERSON – For two-score years Richard Apperson was actively identified with legal and railroad operations in Kentucky and he achieved eminent prestige as an able land lawyer and as a man notable for his exceptional business acumen and impregnable integrity of purpose in all the relations of life. He was born in New Kent county, Virginia, on the 25th of May, 1799, and was a son of Edmund and Anne (Stewart) Apperson, both of whom were natives of Virginia. His early educational advantages were of excellent order and he was about sixteen years of age at the time of his advent in Kentucky. He put his scholastic attainments to good use, as he taught school for a time in Madison county. Later he entered the employ of Dr. M.Q. Ashby as clerk in a dry-goods store in Richmond, Kentucky, in the meantime giving his attention to the reading of law, under the able preceptorship of Major S. Turner. After his marriage he gained admittance to the bar and immediately initiated the practice of his profession. In 1829 he removed to Mount Sterling, where he succeeded in building up a large and lucrative practice in competition with such eminent legists as A.R. Davis, R.H. Menifee, K. Farrow and H. Daniel, and was considered the finest land lawyer in eastern Kentucky. He was several times elected to the state legislature to represent Montgomery county and in 1849 he was chosen, over a formidable opposition, a member of the constitutional convention, in which connection he aided greatly in framing the third constitution of the state. He did not again figure prominently in politics but devoted his entire time and attention to the exacting demands of his profession. In 1852, when the Lexington & Big Sandy Railroad Company was chartered, he took an enthusiastic interest in organizing that company and he was largely instrumental in procuring the requisite amount of stock subscriptions. In the ensuing conference of the stockholders he was elected president of the road and he remained incumbent of this office until the project broke down by reason of the financial panic of 1857, after completing some fourteen miles of road extending west from Ashland and a large amount of heavy work on different portions of the road between Lexington and Ashland. After the Civil war the charter was amended and the name changed to the Elizabethtown, Lexington & Big Sandy Railroad.
In the early part of 1871 Mr. C.P. Huntington became interested, and the company was reorganized through him and finally completed in 1882. It is now operated as a part of the C. & O. Railway system. Mr. Apperson thereafter continued in his law practice until the inception of the Civil war. He was a strong Union man and exerted much influence in behalf of its cause. He died in the midst of this great conflict and at the time of his demise he held the position of collector of internal revenue for the Ninth Kentucky district. He was a man of broad and exact information on all points of the law and he ever gave the greatest care and attention to the affairs of his clients. A good speaker, he presented his cases with clear and definite precision, never depending on trickery or rhetorical effect for the winning of a favorable verdict. He was kindly and courteous in his attentions to the young members of the bar and took a keen and sympathetic interest in their welfare and progress. As a citizen his loyalty and public spirit were of the most insistent order and he contributed in generous measure to all measures and enterprises advanced for the good of the community. He gained and retained the high regard of his professional confreres and he was widely renowned for his fair and honorable business methods and for his sterling integrity of character.
Mr. Apperson was thrice married, his first union being with Mary Jarman, a native of Madison county, Kentucky. They became the parents of six children, one of whom is now living – Ama E., who is the widow of Strather D. Mitchell, of Mount Sterling. In 1845 was solemnized his marriage to Harriet S. Rogers whose birth occurred at Bryants Station, Fayette county, this state. She was summoned to the life eternal at Mount Sterling, in 1850, and was survived by three children, Coleman, who was killed in the army at Resaca, Georgia, in 1864, U.S.A.; Lewis, an attorney at Mount Sterling, concerning whom further mention is made on other pages of this work; and Caroline, who married James A. Leech, of Louisville, Kentucky. For his third wife Mr. Apperson married Miss M.I. Marshall, and the three living children of this union are: S. Marshall, of Little Rock, Arkansas; Medora, who is the wife of Louis Owen, of Chicago, Illinois; and R.D., a resident of Danville, Virginia.
A HISTORY OF KENTUCKY AND KENTUCKIANS By E. POLK JOHNSON 1912 The Lewis Publishing Company
Transcribed by Kim Mohler


LEWIS APPERSON is a representative attorney and business man at Mount Sterling, Kentucky, where he was born on the 31st of December, 1847, and he is a son of Richard and Harriet Selman (Rogers) Apperson, concerning the former of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this volume, so that further data regarding the family history is not deemed essential at this point. Lewis Apperson was the second born of the children of the second marriage of his father, and his preliminary educational advantages were those afforded in the common schools of his native county. His father died in 1863, and in 1864 he first began a business life by clerking in a drugstore in Columbus, Indiana. In 1866 he returned to Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, and engaged in active business,
sometimes for himself and again clerking for others until 1880, when he was engaged in settling up the estate of his father, which at that time was still involved in much litigation in eastern Kentucky. In order to expedite that business he concluded to become a lawyer and was granted a license to practice law on December 31, 1881. Immediately after his admission to the bar he built up a large and representative practice and his success in the legal profession has been of unequivocal order. He is recognized to-day as one of the leading legists and jurists in Montgomery county, being extremely quick of perception and well versed in the minutia of the law. In September, 1886, he was elected county judge and he served in this office for two terms, a period of eight years. In politics Mr. Apperson has ever given his support to the Democratic party and he took an active part in local politics until 1896. He became a member of the time-honored Masonic order when but twenty-one years of age and he has passed through the circle of York Rite Masonry, holding membership in Maysville Commandery, No. 10, Knights Templars. He is also affiliated with the Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks, and the Knights of Pythias.
On the 25th of May, 1876, Mr. Apperson was united in marriage to Miss Mary L. Wall, who was born and reared in Mason county, Kentucky, and who is a daughter of Dr. Alexander H. and Elizabeth (Smoot) Wall, both of whom are now deceased. Dr. Wall was a graduate of Transylvania College, at Lexington, and he gained distinctive precedence as a prominent physician and surgeon. During the Civil war he gave efficient service as a surgeon in the Confederate army and after the close of the war he gave up the practice of medicine and devoted his attention to farming. Mr. and Mrs. Apperson have two children – Elizabeth Wall and Harriet Rogers, both of whom remain at the parental home.
A HISTORY OF KENTUCKY AND KENTUCKIANS By E. POLK JOHNSON 1912 The Lewis Publishing Company
Transcribed by Kim Mohler


MRS. SARAH B. KESHLEAR

Section 13, post-office Pink Hill. Her maiden name was Riggs, and she is a native of Montgomery County, Kentucky, and was born October 7, 1817. When about three years of age her parents removed to Boone County, Kentucky, and came to this county in 1829. Was married July 25, 1837, to Jacob Keshlear, a native of St. Charles City, Missouri, born February 12, 1813. He was raised on a farm, and came to this county some time previous to 1829. He died May 16, 1858, leaving a family of eleven children, seven of whom are now living: Mattie A. (now Mrs. Blackman), William G., James C., Joseph B., George B., Jacob B. and Alice. Since his death Mrs. Keshlear, with the assistance of her sons, has taken care of the farm, which consists of 220 acres of land. By Order No. 11, during the War, she was compelled to leave her farm, but soon afterward returned. Her stock was all taken and she and her sons imprisoned.
[Source: The History of Jackson County, Missouri, Illustrated, Union Historical Company (1881) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]


EDWARD C. O’REAR – The history of jurisprudence in Kentucky, dignified as it is by many excellent names, finds few whose powers and labors have been more beneficial, fruitful and cumulative than those of Judge O’Rear, who is now chief justice of the Kentucky court of appeals, to which he was elected from the Seventh district. He is recognized as one of the representative legists and jurists of his native state, where his rise to his present dignified office has been the direct result of the application of his splendid energies and talents.
Edward Clay O’Rear was born on a farm in Montgomery county, Kentucky, on the 2nd of February, 1863, and is a son of Daniel and Sibba (Mynheir) O’Rear. His father was born in Boonesboro, Madison county, this state, and was a son of John and Tamar (Clark) O’Rear. John O’Rear was born in Fauquier county, Virginia, and was a son of Jeremiah O’Rear, whose father John O’Rear, was a native of Pennsylvania, whence he came with many others to Virginia. He was of Scotch lineage and his ancestors were numbered among the dissentors, thus being numbered among those who laid the foundations for the Presbyterian church in Scotland. Representatives of the family came from Virginia to Kentucky and were numbered among the early citizens at Boonesboro. A number of them took an active part in the Indian wars in this section. John O’Rear, grandfather of him whose name initiates this review, settled in Morgan county, where he reclaimed and developed a large and valuable farm and where he became a citizen of distinctive prominence and influence. His ancestral estate still remains in the possession of the family, as Judge O’Rear is its owner. Daniel O’Rear was born within the stockades of the fort at Boonesboro, in the year 1796, and he attained to the venerable age of seventy-six years. He was twice married and the maiden name of his first wife was Roland. His second wife was the mother of the present chief justice of the Kentucky Appellate court. Daniel O’Rear never severed his allegiance to the great basic industry of agriculture and was a man of strong mental powers and sterling integrity of character. At the time of his death his estate was almost valueless, owing to his having been bondsmen for the sheriff of the county, who had become bankrupt, this being the diametrical result of the financial condition incident to the Civil war. The second wife of Daniel O’Rear survived him by a number of years.
Judge O’Rear was but seven years of age at the time of his father’s death and owing to the unfortunate condition in which the family estate had been placed he was early compelled to become largely dependent upon his own resources. He was reared mainly at Mount Sterling, Montgomery county, to which place his widowed mother had removed. There he attended the public schools until he had attained the age of sixteen years and in the meantime he sold newspapers and gave his attention to such other practical work as he could secure. At the age noted he entered upon an apprenticeship at the printer’s trade and in later years he has realized that this discipline was of great value, in fact it has been said that the training of a printing office is equivalent to a liberal education. After working at his trade for several years he was appointed deputy circuit-court clerk of Morgan county, and while incumbent of this position he began the study of law. He prosecuted his technical reading with the utmost avidity and enthusiasm and his excellent powers of absorption and assimilation enabled him to make rapid progress in his acquirement of the knowledge of the science of jurisprudence. On the 16th of March, 1882, he was admitted to the bar, at West Liberty, Morgan county, when only nineteen years of age, and it is interesting to recall that the legislature of the state enabled him to gain this distinction by the removal of the “disqualification of infancy,” the laws of the commonwealth demanding that a candidate for admittance to the bar shall have attained his majority. Judge O’Rear began the practice of his profession at West Liberty, where he continued to maintain his home until 1886, when he removed to Mount Sterling, the judicial center of Montgomery county, where he rapidly added to his prestige as an able advocate and well fortified counselor. He built up a successful practice and in 1894 he was elected county judge, of which office he continued incumbent for one term, of four years. His election to this office well indicated his personal popularity in the county, as he was the candidate of the Republican party and received a majority of one hundred and forty-five votes, notwithstanding that the county had long given a very large Democratic majority. In November, 1900, he was elected, from the Seventh district, justice of the Kentucky court of appeals and in November, 1908, he was chosen as his own successor for a second term and he is now chief justice of this supreme tribunal of the state. His opinions have been marked by broad and mature judgment and have shown his comprehension and accurate knowledge of the law and of precedence, so that his services on the bench of the court of appeals have added dignity and honor to this tribunal. Though his official duties demand his presence in the capital city of the state during the greater portion of the time he still maintains his home at Mount Sterling.
In politics Judge O’Rear has ever been uncompromising in his allegiance to the principles and policies of the Republican party and he has been a most able exponent of its cause. His father was a stanch Union sympathizer during the climacteric period of the Civil war, having supported the Constitutional Union ticket in the election of 1860 and that of the Republican party when Lincoln was renominated for the presidency. Judge O’Rear is recognized as one of the leaders of the Republican party in his native state and at the time of this writing (in 1910) his name is being frequently mentioned in connection with the candidacy for the office of governor of the state for the election of 1911. Judge O’Rear is a man of fine intellectual and professional attainments, as is amply assured by his tenure of his present distinguished office and he is liberal and progressive in his duty as a citizen, taking a deep interest in all that touches the civic and material welfare of his native state. He is affiliated with the time-honored Masonic fraternity, in which he has attained to the chivalric degrees, being a member of the Knights Templars at Mount Sterling.
He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, of which his parents likewise are members. He has been especially active in the generic work of the church and at the general conference of the same about twelve years ago he was made a member of its board of education. At the general conference held in Montgomery, Alabama, where the question as to the ownership of the Vanderbilt University, at Nashville, Tennessee, was brought up for consideration, the Conference appointed five lawyers as a commission to render an opinion as to the ownership of this institution. The members of this commission represented the states of South Carolina, Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia and Kentucky, and Judge O’Rear was chosen as the Kentucky representative of the commission, which met at Nashville and elected him its chairman. The rendered opinion sustains the issue that the university is the property of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and that the relationship is not of a purely sentimental or religious order. Litigation over this issue is now pending. Judge O’Rear was a delegate to the general conference, in 1910, at Asheville, North Carolina.
On the 29th of November, 1882, was solemnized the marriage of Judge O’Rear to Miss Virginia Lee Hazelrigg, who was born and reared in Morgan county, this state, and who is a daughter of the late Colonel John T. Hazelrigg, who was one of the leading members of the bar of that county and under whose preceptorship Judge O’Rear studied law. Of the children of Judge and Mrs. O’Rear five are now living, namely – Prentice, John T.H., James B., Helen and Hazel.
A HISTORY OF KENTUCKY AND KENTUCKIANS By E. POLK JOHNSON 1912 The Lewis Publishing Company
Transcribed by Kim Mohler


POWERS, John Pike, Jr., attorney at law; born Mt. Sterling, Ky., Oct. 24, 1875; Scotch-Irish and Anglo-Saxon descent; son of J. Pike and Fannie (Gwin) Powers; father's occupation Baptist minister; paternal grandparents John and Elizabeth (Montgomery) Powers; maternal grandparents David S. and Frances (Beckham) Gwin; educated University of Tenn. and University of Va.; graduated from former with degree of B.A. 1894, LL.B. 1895, from University of Va. with degree of B.L. in 1897; admitted to bar in 1897 to practice in all State and Federal courts; began the practice of law in the office of Webb & McClung, Knoxville, Tenn., after two years he became member of firm of Powers & Burrows, remained in same four years, then practiced alone two years; at present member of firm of Powers & Thornburgh; married Lucile Allyn Borden Sept. 26, 1906; member of the legal fraternity Phi Delta Phi, Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (Grand Princeps, 1909), Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Fraternity; member of Blue Lodge, Council and Chapter of Masonry; Knights of Pythias; member of Irving Club of Knoxville, Tenn.; former Chairman of Knox Co., Tenn. Board of Election Commissioners two years from July, 1905; City Attorney of Knoxville 1908-1910, and 1910-1912; member of Co. B, University of Tenn. Cadets; Deacon, Clerk and Treasurer of First Baptist Church, Knoxville, Tenn.; Clerk of Tenn. Assn. Baptists five years; Secretary of Powers' Clothing Co. (wholesale clothiers) Knoxville, Tenn.
[Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]


GEORGE DAVID SHORTRIDGE, a distinguished citizen of this county, was the son of Hon. Eli Shortridge of Talladega, and was born in Montgomery county Kentucky, Nov. 10, 1814. He came with his parents to Tuskaloosa in 1826, and had but a partial education when he accepted a clerkship in the office of the supreme court, two years later. He was subsequently a clerk under Hon. J. I. Thornton of Greene, secretary of state, and was also a clerk in a book store. He was one of the first students at the State University, but was not graduated. While reading law in his father's office he edited a newspaper. Licenses as an attorney in 1834, he was elected solicitor the same winter, and removed to Montgomery. There his talents soon brought him into notice, and he was twice elected mayor of the embryo city. In 1838 he represented Montgomery in the legislature. Pecuniary reverses and ill-health soon after caused him to retire to his plantation in this county, but he recuperated and resumed the practice here. In 1846 the legislature elected him to the bench of the circuit court over Messrs. P.T. Harris, T. A. Walker, Lincoln Clarke, and J. W. Womack. In 1850 he was continued on the bench by a large popular majority. After holding the responsible office nine years, he resigned it in 1855 when nominated for governor. His party was in a minority in the State, and he was defeated by Gov. Winston. Soon after this he removed to Selma, and was the associate there in the practice with Hon. J. R. John. He remained there a year or two, then returned to this county, which he represented in the constitutional convention of 1861. This finished his public career. The ruthless hand of war was laid heavily on him in the loss of his three sons and only son-in-law. He died in 1870. Possessed of a handsome person, an easy address, a wide range of knowledge, and a genial and ready wit, Judge Shortridge was one of the most interesting men of his day. He was an able, upright, and patient judge; as literateurhe wielded a graceful pen; and as a gentleman he belonged to the best school. His popularity was the result of kindness of heart, liberality, and an observance of the amenities due from man to man. His wife was a daughter of Mr. Edmund King of this county -
[Source: "Alabama, her history, resources, war record, and public men : from 1540 to 1872"; by Willis Brewer; Montgomery, Ala.: Barrett & Brown, 1872
transcribed by Jeanne Kalkwarf; Submitted by Veneta McKinney]


ALBERT S. THOMPSON – The present able and popular incumbent of the position of sheriff of Bourbon county, Hon. Albert S. Thompson is a native Kentuckian, born in Montgomery county, Kentucky, on the 2nd of July, 1870, and he is a son of George C. and Rebecca (Scott) Thompson, both of whom were likewise born in the Blue Grass state, the former in Montgomery and the latter in Clark county.
George C. Thompson is a son of Van Thompson, who was a native of Montgomery county, Kentucky. Van Thompson reclaimed a farm from the virgin wilds and continued to reside in Montgomery county until his death. George C. Thompson was reared to maturity on the home farm and has since been closely identified with agricultural pursuits. In 1878 he removed from Montgomery county to Bourbon county and for a number of years resided on a farm near Clintonville. He then purchased and settled on land three miles south of Paris, where he now resides, secure in the high regard of all who know him. George C. and Rebecca (Scott) Thompson became the parents of six children, namely – Robert S., who resides in Potter county, Texas; Henry V., of Clark county, Kentucky; Albert S., the immediate subject of this review; James H., who maintains his home in Bourbon county, this state; Loula K., who is the wife of Swift Champ, editor of the Bourbon News, and they reside in Paris; and Ira D., a resident of Bourbon county.
Hon. Albert S. Thompson, the subject of this review, was a child of eight years at the time of the family removal to Bourbon county, and here he has maintained his home during the long intervening years. He received his preliminary education in the public schools of Montgomery and Bourbon counties, and was later matriculated in the University of Kentucky, now the Transylvania University, in the city of Lexington, Kentucky. After his marriage, in 1889, Mr. Thompson settled on a farm in Bourbon county, and he has since been actively identified with the great basic industry of agriculture. In 1897 he purchased his beautiful estate five miles south of Paris, on the Clintonville pike. His modern and attractive residence is one of the finest in the county and is recognized as a center of gracious and refined hospitality. In politics Mr. Thompson has ever been arrayed as a staunch advocate of the principles and policies of the Democratic party, and he has been most zealous in his support of all measures and enterprises tending to conserve the general welfare of his community. In 1901 he was elected to represent Bourbon county, which is the seventy-fifth district, in the State Legislature, and he was re-elected in 1903, without opposition. In 1906 Mr. Thompson was appointed chief deputy sheriff, under E.P. Clarke, sheriff, and in this capacity he served for four years. In 1909 there came further appreciative mark of his able services in that he was then elected sheriff, there being no opposition either in the nomination or in the election. He maintains his official headquarters in the city of Paris but continues to reside on his farmstead five miles south of the city.
Hon. Albert S. Thompson is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Knights of the Maccabees and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He likewise holds membership in the Bourbon County Agricultural Society and has served as one of its directors. Both he and his wife are devout members of the Christian church of Clintonville, in the various departments of which they have been most zealous workers. On the 17th of December, 1889, was solemnized the marriage of Hon. Albert S. Thompson to Miss Mincie C. Lary, who was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, on the 8th of December, 1870, and who is a daughter of Neal and Clara (Parvin) Lary, highly esteemed citizens of Bourbon county. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have three children – Blanche B., born on the 22nd of June, 1891; G.C., born on the 5th of September, 1894; and Alvin, born on the 17th of March, 1897. G.C. and Alvin remain at the parental home. On February 15, 1911, Blanche B. was married to Isaac C. Haley, of Bourbon county, Kentucky. She was graduated in the Millersburg Female College as a member of the class of 1909, with the degree of Bachelor of B.S., and G.C. and Alvin are students in the Paris high school.
A HISTORY OF KENTUCKY AND KENTUCKIANS By E. POLK JOHNSON 1912 The Lewis Publishing Company
Transcribed by Kim Mohler


SQUIRE TURNER – The Turner family is well-known in Kentucky, its scions in various times having been associated with great men and great events, and one of those who most honorably bears the name at the present day is Squire Turner. He is one of the ablest of the representatives of the Fourth Estate of the Blue Grass state, being editor of the Mt. Sterling Sentinel-Democrat, the oldest paper in Kentucky east of Lexington.
Squire Turner was born in the town in which he still resides on October 29, 1860. His father, Richard Turner, was born in Richmond, Madison county, Kentucky, September 2, 1821, and died in Mt. Sterling September 11, 1900. His grandfather, for whom he was named, Major Squire Turner was born in Madison county, Kentucky, in 1793 and died July 3, 1871, having lived to witness no less than three American conflicts and to have assisted in several crises in state history. He was one of the most important lawyers of his day in Kentucky and was one of the framers of the state constitution of 1849. It is indeed a matter of tradition that he wrote every word of the constitution and that it passed the convention without a change. He was an intimate friend of Daniel Boone and was named for Squire Boone, a brother of the great pioneer and Kentucky hero. He served several terms in the state legislature, where his abilities as a statesman shone brightly, and in every relation in life he proved himself worthy of emulation and respect. Squire Turner, the first, chose as his wife Elizabeth Stone, a native of Madison county, and to their union three sons and two daughters were born. One of these sons, Cyrus C., fought a duel at Foxtown, Kentucky, with Cassius Clay, a brother of Henry Clay, and was stabbed by him. His son and namesake, Cyrus C., was a roommate of President Taft at Yale and was graduated from that institution with class honors.
Richard Turner, father of him whose name initiates this review, was reared in Richmond and there attended the common schools. He subsequently matriculated at Centre College, at Danville, Kentucky, and was graduated from that institution. He chose the profession of law as a life work and began its practice at Richmond, being elected commonwealth attorney of the Lexington district at the early age of twenty-one years and holding it until he resigned. He married Henrietta Robertson, a native of Mt. Sterling. This worthy woman was called to the life eternal in 1895. There were four children in the Robertson family: Colonel Benjamin J. Robertson, of Louisville, Kentucky; Major Joseph L. Robertson, of New York, an officer in the Confederate army; Mrs. Sallie R., widow of George M. Morrow, who for thirty years was county judge of McCracken county, Kentucky, and who died in office.
In 1847 Richard Turner removed to Mt. Sterling, where he engaged in the practice of law and soon became the possessor of a large clientage. He became prominent in politics, being elected to the state legislature and serving two terms as state representative. In 1876 he moved a step higher, being elected to congress on the Democratic ticket in a district which was normally 35,000 Republican. In 1880 he was a candidate for re-election and was defeated. He was a colonel in General Humphrey Marshall’s command in the Mexican war and took part in the battle of Buena Vista. Not only is his name written large as a statesman and a patriot, but he was also one of the first lawyers of his day. He is remembered as a leader among men and a man who all his life was active in politics, being of the best type of politician. He was greatly interested in the mountain timber lands of eastern Kentucky and dealt largely in them. During the Civil war he was a Union sympathizer and his patriotism was always more than a mere matter of rhetoric. He was the father of eleven children, seven of whom are living at the present day: Benjamin R. is police judge of Mt. Sterling; the subject is the second in order of birth; C.C. is an attorney of Mt. Sterling; Thomas is a manufacturer of Cincinnati, Ohio; the next born is also a manufacturer, Chicago, Illinois, being the scene of his activities; Miss Mary E. Turner resides in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky; and Emeline is the wife of J.O. Green, of Mt. Sterling.
Born of such forbears, blessed with such gifts of nature and nurture is Squire Turner, the immediate subject of this brief review. He was reared in Mt. Sterling and attended the private school of Professor D.S.C.M. Parter. When his father was elected to congress, he went to Washington with him as his private secretary and while there he attended law lectures at night. At the expiration of his father’s term of office he returned to Mt. Sterling and soon began upon his own career, in 1881 being elected police judge of the city and serving for four years in this capacity. He was finally obliged to abandon this position on account of impairment in his hearing. In the next few years, or until 1888, he had charge of a coal mine, and subsequent to that date he purchased the Sentinel-Democrat, which he has edited and published ever since. Under his capable and enlightened management it has maintained, and more than maintained, its high prestige as one of the oldest and most conservative newspapers of the state and in its columns are inaugurated many worthy projects, the Turner high ideals being promulgated by the power of pen as surely as they were of yore upon the floor of the assembly chamber.
Mr. Turner was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Emily H. Barnes. She was a daughter of Felder C. Barnes, who was appointed United States internal revenue collector at Lexington under President U.S. Grant. She passed to the great beyond in the year 1893, leaving one son, Haward, a graduate of Culver Military Institute of Culver, Indiana. Mr. Turner, like his forefathers, is a Democrat and an enthusiastic one, giving his whole allegiance to the advancement of the policies and principles of the party, and through the columns of the publication of which he is editor wielding a powerful influence in its favor. His fraternal affiliations extend to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
A HISTORY OF KENTUCKY AND KENTUCKIANS By E. POLK JOHNSON 1912 The Lewis Publishing Company
Transcribed by Kim Mohler

 


HOME

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails
with full rights reserved for original submitters.