We regret that we are
perform personal research for anybody.
Jefferson Parish History
Jefferson Parish was named in honor of US President Thomas Jefferson of Virginia when the parish was established by the Louisiana Legislature on February 11, 1825, a year before Jefferson died.
Originally, this parish was larger than it is today, running from Felicity Street in New Orleans to the St. Charles Parish line. However, as New Orleans grew, it absorbed the cities of Lafayette, Jefferson City, Carrollton, and several unincorporated areas, which became part of Orleans Parish.
The present borders between Jefferson Parish and Orleans Parish were set in 1874.
The Jefferson Parish seat was moved to Gretna at that time.
The historic city of Lafayette in Jefferson Parish, as it was recorded in U.S. Census records until 1870, should not be confused with Lafayette, Louisiana, which is in Lafayette Parish.
Gretna ~ Harahan ~ Kenner ~ Westwego
Grand Isle ~ Jean Lafitte ~ Cheniere Caminada
Avondale ~ Barataria ~ Bridge City ~ Elmwood ~ Estelle ~ Harvey ~ Jefferson ~ Lafitte ~
Marrero ~ Metairie ~ River Ridge ~ Terrytown ~ Timberlane ~ Waggaman ~ Woodmere