LOUISIANA PLANTATIONS AND SUGAR PLANTERS


Genealogy Trails

PLANTATION HOMES OF LOUISIANA

 Evergreen Plantation

"The sugar planter requires for his cane plantation a warm, moist climate, with intervals of hot, dry weather, with little danger from frost; a soil not too rich, containing lime and magnesia, and of good drainage ; and the benefit of sea breezes, salt in the air being better for him than salt in the soil. The sugar plantations of Louisiana find these conditions in the alluvial soil of the lower Mississippi Valley. In laying out an estate, drainage must be carefully provided for, and in some countries irrigation is much used. From one to four cuttings are set out together in holes about two feet apart. As the canes grow they must be well weeded and "trashed," i.e., all dry, dead leaves removed. They begin to grow in Louisiana in February, and are harvested from October to January. After the first cutting of the new plants the stole or stool left sends up another growth of cane, called "ratoons," which with each cutting grow smaller in size and closer in joints, and are said to yield sweeter juice and finer sugar. The one planting will last many years, but Louisiana sugar-growers reckon only on three years' product, planting a third of the sugar ground anew each year. Rats, white ants, lice, "borers," and some minute animals producing "rust" and "must," fight against the growing plant, as also do wind and frost. When cutting-time comes, the cane is cut with a hatchet close to the stole, the top is chopped off, and the leaves stripped; the canes are then bundled up and carried to the mill, often, on the large plantations, on narrow donkey railways, or placed in windrows, on the fields, so that the juice may not ferment until they can be handled.

 Louisiana plantations, when the crop is in full vigor, are indeed a lovely sight, with their broad expanse of leafy cane. Some of them are of great extent, the Magnolia Plantation, now owned by ex-Governor Warmoth, which claims to be one of the banner plantations of the State, having 492 acres in cane last year. In 1883-4 over 172,400 acres of cane were harvested in the State, the total crop of 128,000 tons of sugar being one of the best ever made in the State ; but in 1884-5 floods spoiled so much of the crop that only 118,650 acres were harvested, producing 94,000 tons of sugar. The crop of 1885-6 is estimated at 110,000 tons. About 20,000 freedmen are kept busy in the State. So much for statistics, and their word to science." {Harpers Monthly Vol 73-1886}

 

[From History of Louisiana (1866).]

BY CHARLES GAYARRE.

 

Charles Etienne Arthur Gayarre, or Charles Gayarre, as he usually signs his name, was born in New Orleans, January 9, 1805. His family is identified with the history of Louisiana from its early colonial period. In youth, Gayarre1 studied at the College of Orleans. At the age of twenty, he laid before the Legislature of Louisiana a pamphlet in which he opposed some provisions of a criminal code that had been prepared by Edward Livingston at the request of the State. In 1826 he went to Philadelphia, and for two years read law under William Ilawle, the author of a work on the Constitution of the United States. Having been admitted to the Pennsylvania bar, he returned to Louisiana, where, in due season, he received a license to practise law. In 1830 he was elected one of the Representatives of New Orleans in the State Legislature. In 1832 Governor Koman appointed him Presiding Judge of the City Court of New Orleans. In 18:J5 he was elected to the United States Senate ; but some months before the time when he was to take his seat in that body, his health became so undermined that he decided to visit Kuropc, in the hope of recovery. On his arrival in Paris, however, his physicians having declared that an early return to his native land would endanger his life, he resigned his seat in the United States Senate, and remained in Europe eight years, occupying his time in study and in making historical investigations. In 1844. shortly after his return to Louisiana, he was elected to the State Legislature, and two years later was reelected to that body; but on the very day of its meeting, he accepted, instead, the appointment of Secretary of State under Governor Johnson's administration. When the Know-Nothing Party was organized in Louisiana, Gayarre was induced, after much hesitation, to join it ; but his connection with it terminated when he learned that one of its canons was religious intolerance. During the Civil War, he was in sympathy with the Confederates. Since the war he was for some time reporter of the Supreme Court of his State. lie writes French and English with equal skill. His History of Louisiana, the standard work on the subject, has won for him the title, "The Henri Martin of Louisiana." His style is earnest, dignified, and florid ; and in figures of antitheses, it compares favorably with that of the greatest historians. He is the author of L'Hixtoire de la Louisiane (1847) ; Romance of the History of Louisiana (1848) ; Louisiana : its Colonial History and Romance (1851) ; Louisiana: its History as a French Colony (1852) ; and History of the Spanish Domination in Louisiana (1854). These works were revised and included in three volumes in 1806 as the History of Louisiana, which, in 1879, was reissued in four volumes, Among his other works, are Philip II. of Spain (1866), Fernando de Lemos, a novel (1872), with a sequel, Aubert Dubayet (1882), The School for Politics, a Drama, and Dr. Bluff, a Comedy (1854).]

 In a lot situated at the corner of Orleans and Dauphine Streets, in the city of New Orleans, there is a tree which nobody looks at without curiosity and without wondering how it came there. For a long time it was the only one of its kind known in the state, and from its isolated position it has always been cursed with sterility. It reminds one of the warm climes of Africa or Asia, and wears the aspect of a stranger of distinction driven from his native country. Indeed, with its sharp and thin foliage, sighing mournfully under the blast of one of our November northern winds, it looks as sorrowful as an exile. Its enormous trunk is nothing but an agglomeration of knots and bumps, which each passing year seems to have deposited there as a mark of age, and as a protection against the blows of time and of the world. Inquire for its origin, and every one will tell you that it has stood there from time immemorial. A sort of vague but impressive mystery is attached to it, and it is as superstitiously respected as one of the old oaks of Dodona. Bold would be the axe that should strike the first blow at that foreign patriarch; and if it were prostrated to the ground by a profane hand, what native of the city would not mourn over its fall, and brand the act as an unnatural and criminal deed  So, long live the date-tree of Orleans Street—that time-honored descendant of Asiatic ancestors!

 In the beginning of 1727, a French vessel of war landed at New Orleans a man of haughty mien, who wore the Turkish dress, and whose whole attendance was a single servant. He was received by the governor with the highest distinction, and was conducted by him to a small but comfortable house with a pretty garden, then existing at the corner of Orleans and Dauphine Streets, and which, from the circumstance of its being so distant from other dwellings, might have been called a rural retreat, although situated in the limits of the city. There the stranger, who was understood to be a prisoner of state, lived in the greatest seclusion ; and although neither he nor his attendant could be guilty of indiscretion, because none understood their language, and although Governor Perier severely rebuked the slightest inquiry, yet it seemed to be the settled conviction in Louisiana, that the mysterious stranger was a brother of the Sultan, or some great personage of the Ottoman Empire, who had fled from the anger of the vice regent of Mohammed, and who had taken refuge in France. The Sultan had peremptorily demanded the fugitive, and the French government thinking it derogatory to its dignity to comply with that request, but at the same time not wishing to expose its friendly relations with the Moslem monarch, and perhaps desiring, for political purposes, to keep in hostage the important guest it had in its hands, had recourse to the expedient of answering that he had fled to Louisiana, which was so distant a country that it might be looked upon as the grave, where, as it was suggested, the fugitive might be suffered to wait in peace for actual death, without danger or offence to the Sultan. "Whether this story be true or not is now a matter of so little consequence that it would not repay the trouble of a strict historical investigation.

 The year 1727 was drawing to its close, when on a dark, stormy night the howling and barking of the numerous dogs in the streets of New Orleans were observed to be fiercer than usual, and some of that class of individuals who pretend to know everything, declared that, by the vivid flashes of the lightning, they had seen, swiftly and stealthily gliding toward the residence of the unknown, a body of men who wore the scowling appearance of malefactors and ministers of blood. There afterward came also a report that a piratical-looking Turkish vessel had been hovering a few days previous in the bay of Barataria. Be it as it may, on the next morning the house of the stranger was deserted. There were no traces of mortal struggle to be seen; but in the garden the earth had been dug, and there was the unmistakable indication of a recent grave. Soon, however, all doubts were removed by the finding of an inscription in Arabic characters, engraved on a marble tablet, which was subsequently sent to France. It ran thus : " The justice of Heaven is satisfied, and the date-tree shall grow on the traitor's tomb. The sublime Emperor of the faithful, the supporter of the faith, the omnipotent master and Sultan of the world, has redeemed his vow. God is great, and Mohammed is his prophet. Allah ! " Some time after this event, a foreign-looking tree was seen to peep out of the spot where a corpse must have been deposited in that stormy night, when the rage of the elements yielded to the pitiless fury of man, and it thus explained in some degree this part of the inscription, " the date tree shall grow on the traitor's grave."

 "Who was lie, or what had he done, who had provoked such relentless and far-seeking revenge I Ask Nemesis, or—at that hour when evil spirits are allowed to roam over the earth, and magical invocations are made—go and interrogate the tree of the death.

 The Bore plantation was situated on the left bank of the Mississippi, about six miles above New Orleans, taking as a point of departure the Cathedral, then the center of the city, and following the public road that ran along the river in all its windings. Indigo had been the principal staple of the colony, but at last a worm which attacked the plant and destroyed it, through consecutive years, was reducing to poverty and to the utmost despair the whole population.

 Jean Eitienne de Bore determined to make a bold experiment to save himself and his fellow citizens, and convert his indigo plantation into one of sugar cane. In these critical circumstances, he resolved to renew the attempt that had been made to manufacture sugar. He immediately prepared to go into all the expenses consequent on so costly an undertaking.

 His wife warned him that her father had in former years vainly made a similar attempt. She represented that he was hazarding on the cast of a die all that remained of their means of existence; that if he failed, as was probable, he would reduce his family to hopeless poverty; that he was of an age, being over fifty years old, when fate was not to be tempted by doubtful experiments, as he could not reasonably entertain the hope of a sufficiently long life to rebuild his fortune if once completely shattered; and that he would not only expose himself to ruin, but also to a risk much more to be dreaded, that of falling into the grasp of creditors.

 Friends and relatives joined their remonstrances to hers, but could not shake the strong resolve of his energetic mind. He had fully matured his plan, and was determined to sink or swim with it. Purchasing a quantity of cane from two men, who cultivated it only to sell as a dainty in the New Orleans market and to make coarse syrup, he began to plant in 1794, and to make all the other necessary preparations, and in 1795 he made a crop of sugar which sold for twelve thousand dollars, a large sum at that time.

 Bore's attempt had excited the keenest interest. Many people had frequently visited him during the year to witness his preparations; gloomy predictions had been set afloat, and on the day when the grinding of the cane was to begin, a large number of the most respectable inhabitants had gathered in and about the sugar house, to be present at the failure or success of the experiment.

 Would the syrup granulate? Would it be converted into sugar? The crowd waited with eager impatience for the moment when the man who watched the coction of the juice of the cane should determine whether it was ready to granulate. When the moment arrived, the stillness of death came among them; each one holding his breath, and feeling that it was a matter of ruin or prosperity for them all.

 Suddenly the sugar-maker cried out with exultation, " It granulates! " Inside and outside of the building one could have heard the wonderful tidings flying from mouth to mouth, and dying in the distance, as if a hundred glad echoes were telling it to one another. Each one of the bystanders pressed forward to ascertain the fact through the evidence of his own senses, and when it could no longer be doubted, there came a shout of joy, and all flocked around fitienne de Bore, overwhelming him with congratulations and almost hugging the man.

 This plantation was sagaciously and tastefully laid out for beauty and productiveness. The gardens occupied a large area, and at once astonished the eye by the magnificence of their shady avenues of orange trees. Unbroken retreats of myrtle and laurel defied the rays of the sun. Flowers of every description perfumed the air. Extensive orchards produced every fruit of which the climate was susceptible. By judicious culture there had been obtained remarkable success in producing an abundance of juicy grapes, every branch of which, however, when they began to ripen, was enveloped in a sack of wire to protect it against the depredations of the birds.

 The fields were cultivated with so careful an observance of successive seasons, that there was no such thing known as short or half crop, or no crop at all. This was reserved for much later days. But under the administration of Eitienne Bore, during a period of about twenty-five years from the first ebullition of a sugar kettle, in 1795, to the time of his death in 1820, every crop was regularly the same within a few hogsheads. 

It was a self-sufficient little domain, exporting a good deal and importing but meagerly, so that the balance was very much in its favor. It was largely supplied with sheep and their wool, with geese, ducks, turkeys, Guinea fowls, and every variety of poultry, without stint. Eggs were gathered by the bushel. Pigeons clouded the sun, and when the small black cherries were ripe, those feathered epicures ate them voraciously.

A numerous herd of cattle, under the inspection of old Pompey and a black youngster, pastured luxuriously and grew fat. What a quantity of fresh butter, rich cheese, milk, cream, and clabber! Vast barns gorged with corn, rice, and hay, hives bursting with honey, vegetables without measure, and so luscious; a varied and liberal supply of carriages always ready for use, horses for the saddle or for driving, all glossy and sleek, and spirited mules, well fed and well curried, the pride of the field hands.

 Bore had made of his estate both a farm and a plantation. Every day before dawn cart-loads departed for New Orleans with diversified produce, most of which was handed over, when it reached its destination, to two old women, Agathe and Marie, who were the occupants and the guardians of the town house of Bore.

 They admirably understood the art of selling, and were well known to the whole population whose confidence they possessed. Going to market with baskets full, they generally brought them back empty. Josephine, a handsome mulattress, with an assistant of a darker color, sold the milk and butter with wonderful rapidity, and both were back at the plantation at half-past ten in the morning, with the mail and daily papers, and whatever else they had to bring. It was clock work in everything on that plantation of the old regime.

  Magnolia Plantation

 "For fifty or sixty miles below New Orleans, the narrow strip which protects the Mississippi channel on either side from the gulf is crowded with plantations. The soil there is all of recent alluvial formation, and is, consequently, extremely The "magnolia" Plantation.

This section may, without the least exaggeration, be called " of the best land in the world." The rivers and bayous furnish fish and oysters of finest flavor; the earth brings forth fruit and vegetables in tropical abundance; all the conditions of life are easy; and, in addition, there is the profitable culture of sugar and rice.

  The negroes themselves are making money rapidly in this section, and show much skill in managing their affairs. In many cases they were aided in purchasing their lands by their old masters, and generally go to them for advice as to speculation and conduct in crop raising. The same negro who will bitterly oppose his old master politically, will implicitly follow his advice in matters of labor and investment in which he is personally concerned.

  At every turn, and on every available spot along the shore, as one drifts slowly down the lower Mississippi, one is charmed to note the picturesque grouping of sugar-houses and "quarters," the mansions surrounded by splendid groves, and the rich fields stretching miles away towards a dark belt of timber.

  Each plantation has its group of white buildings, gleaming in the sun; each its long vistas of avenues, bordered with orange-trees; for the orange and the sugar-cane are friendly neighbors. When the steamer swings around at the wharf of such a lordly plantation as that of the "Woodlands" of Bradish Johnson, or that of Effingham Lawrence, the negroes come trooping out, men and women dancing, somersaulting, and shouting; and, if perchance there is music on the steamer, no power can restrain the merry antics of the African.

  The " Magnolia" plantation of Mr. Lawrence is a fair type of the larger and better class; it lies low down to the river's level, and seems to court inundation. Stepping from the wharf, across a green lawn, the sugar-house first greets the eye, an immense solid building, crammed with costly machinery. Not far from it are the neat, white cottages occupied by the laborers; there is the kitchen where the field-hands come to their meals; there are the sheds where the carts are housed, and the cane is brought to be crushed; and, ranging in front of a cane-field containing many hundreds of acres, is a great orange orchard, the branches of whose odorous trees bear literally golden fruit; for, with but little care, they yield their owner an annual income of $25,000.

  The massive oaks and graceful magnolias surrounding the planter's mansion give grateful shade; roses and all the rarer blossoms perfume the air; the river current hums a gentle monotone, which, mingled with the music of the myriad insect life, and vaguely heard on the lawn and in the cool corridors of the house, seems lamenting past grandeur and prophesying of future greatness. For it was a grand and lordly life, that of the owner of a sugar plantation; filled with culture, pleasure, and the refinements of living;—but now!

  Afield, in Mr. Lawrence's plantation, and in some others, one may see the steam-plough at work, ripping up the rich soil. Great stationary engines pull it rapidly from end to end of the tracts; and the darkies, mounted on the swiftly rolling machine, skillfully guide its sharp blades and force them into the furrows. Ere long, doubtless, steam-ploughs will be generally introduced on Louisiana sugar estates." source Harper's Monthly

 

Plantations of Louisiana

(this is not a complete list )

If you would like to add a submission please click here Thank You

 

Known Plantations

Acadian House --St. Martinville, La The Acadian House was built in 1765 by Mr. D'Autrive, Chevalier de St. Louis, on a Spanish Land Grant. On November 13th, 1778 by act passed before Mr. DeClout, Commandant at the Post des Attakapas at Opelousas, the Plantation was sold to the Widow of Missire Paul Augustine Le Pelletier de la Houssaye, also called Pierre Augustine. Many numerous families were to own the Acadian House throughout the years , Oliver de Vegin, De Finally Mr. C. T. Bienvenue purchased the land from Mr. Frank Greig. Mr. Bienvenue was acting for Longfellow - Evangeline Memorial State and National Park Assn. On February 14, 1931, the National Park Association donated the Park to the State of Louisiana.

Acadia Plantation-- Thibodaux, La  Originally named Acadie, the name was changed to Acadia in the 1830's. Once owned by Jim,, Retzin, and Stephen Bowie, the hero of the Alamo, whose family owned it from 1827 to 1831. The house was consolidated into one building from two creole cottages and a shotgun house. Other owners were Philip Barton Key, Nephew of Francis Scott Key and Andrew Donelson, nephew of Rachel Jackson, wife of Andrew Jackson. Federal troops camped here during the Civil War. The Plantation was owned by descendants of Ann Plater Key, mother of Philip Barton Key. Today the grounds of the plantation is home to Nicholls State University.

Afton Villa Plantation- built about 1840 Destroyed by fire in 1963. U.S. Hwy 61, St. Francisville, La.

 

 Alandale Plantation- formerly known as Phillips Place agent Robert Butler

 

Albania Plantation-- Jeanerette, Louisiana. Iberia Parish was built 1837 and 1842 on the banks of Bayou Teche, off the Old Spanish Trail, by Charles Grevemberg, who operated a successful sugar plantation on the surrounding 6,500 acres. After he died, his wife managed the plantation until mortgage holders Samuel and Isaac Delgado foreclosed in 1885. Neither lived at Albania, but they continued to operate the plantation and to refine sugar on site. The ruins of the sugar mill are still there today.  Samuel Delgado died first, leaving his interest in the plantation to his brother. When Isaac Delgado died in 1912, he left the plantation to the City of New Orleans and stipulated that proceeds be used to finance the Isaac Delgado Central Trades School, In 1957 it was sold  to Emily Cyr Bridges. Bridges was the daughter of former Lt. Gov. Paul Cyr, an enemy of Huey Long. Her husband, Beau, died in an accident in 1968, and Bridges died in 2003. Her collections were auctioned off and Albania was sold to Hunt Slonem. The Delgado-Albania Plantation Commission continues to operate the sugar plantation. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Albemarle Plantation - was owned by Robert C Martin and is located in Assumption Parish. Descendants of Robert Martin still maintain the home today

Alcidesire Plantation-- see Desire 

Alice B Plantation - built in early 1800's is named for Alice Burguiere Dupont, daughter of Ernest D. Burguiere, who owned ivanhoe, Richland, and Crawford Plantations  located in Franklin, Louisiana

Alice C Plantation was owned by John Calder and his wife Alice.

Afton Villa Plantation

Ambrosia Plantation- located in St Francisville La was constructed in 1918

Angelina Plantation--St John the Baptist parish 48 miles above the city of New Orleans on the Mississippi River

Anna Plantation--Franklin La.

Aragon Plantation-- Houma La

Ardoyne Plantation -- the name meaing "little knoll" (Ellendale La) is located about seven miles north of Houma, it was constructed in 1897 by John D Schaffer for his wife while she travelled abroad for her health. The cottage she requested he built in her absence was not a cottage but a replica of a castle from scotland that was copied out of a magazine. It remains in the family today and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Argyle Plantation-- Houma La

Arlington Plantation -- Washington,, La built in 1829 by Major Amos Webb

Armant Plantation--A historic marker about Colonel Leopold Armant stands amid huge moss-draped oaks at the site of Armant Plantation. The land, once part of the second village of the Bayougoula Indians, was acquired by Joseph Blanpain in 1740 for a vacherie—cattle ranch. Jean Baptiste Armant purchased the property before 1800. In 1845 J. B. Armant introduced on his plantation the largest Rillieux sugar- processing equipment that had yet been made. Jean Baptiste  the son, died in 1854 and is buried in St. James Cemetery. John Burnside owned Armant before and after the Civil War and left it in 1881 to Oliver Beirne who in turn sold it to William Miles. The house was destroyed in 1969 after being vacant for more than ten years. The land currently is owned by Southdown Sugar.

Ashland Plantation-- located Houma La

Ashland Belle Helene --Home of Duncan Keller, which was plundered of all his horses and mules in 1862. located in Ascension Parish La. Duncan Keller who married Nanine Bringier, a daughter of Michel Doradou Bringier.

Ashton Plantation--New Orleans, La

Asphodel Plantation--Saint Francisville, La. was built in 1833 by Benjamin Kendrick

Augusta  Plantation- Owned by W C S Ventress and his wife Augusta Randolph Ventress sister to the owner of Nottaway Plantation and daughter of the Honorable Judge Perer Randolph of Virginia and East Feliciana Parish, La (submitted by Monica Singletary)

Avalon Plantation--Patterson, La

Avondale Plantation-- Clinton, La

Bagatelle plantation-- Union La was built by the father of Stella Tureaud who married Louis Amadee Bringer, a colonel in Scott's Cavalry during the Civil War. Was said to been a shrine to Jame J Audobon who resided there and painted various murals throughout the home with bird scenes. This plantation has said to been named by Stella who upon seeing the home her father had built when she returned from her honeymoon in Europe, exclaimed "What this"Bagatelle" I won't live in it!" and she did not. Her husband Marius Bringer built her a new home.

Bains Plantation --Pointe Coupee Parish Louisiana

Barbara Plantation-- located near St. Rose Louisiana, St. Charles Parish built about 1820

Bass Plantation-located four miles below Lake Providence was owned by Abram Bass., the deed for the land was originally owned by Warren Benton then to James A Bass.;

Bayside Plantation- was run by Francois Dubose Richardson, state legislator and is located on Bayou Tech in Iberia Parish Lousiana

Bayou Vista Plantation- Home of Mr. And Mrs. Grover Rees. Breaux Bridge, La.

Beau Fort plantation - Located in  Natchitoches Louisiana and built about 1830 for Narcisse Prudhomme  by his father. Built on site of old fort where French settlers in early1700 huddled together to protect themselves from marauding Indians. Mrs. C. Vernon Cloutier, owner in 1970.

Belair Plantation-  was built before 1720, the plantation built by Governor Bienville outside the then present site of New Orleans

Belle Alliance Plantation -- Built around 1846 by Charles Koch, a belgian aristocrat in Donaldsonville, La.

Belle Chase Plantation- built by Benjamin in 1842 which became one of the largest sugar manufacturing plantations of louisiana located in Plaquemines Parish Louisiana

Belle Grove Plantation--Built by John Andrews in 1847. Architect was Henry Howard located near White Castle Louisiana Iberville, Parish, La.

Belle Helene Plantation -- constructed 1840. State Hwy. 75, North of Darrow, La. Ascension Parish. Built in 1840 by Duncan F. Kenner for his wife.

Bellwood Plantation --

Belmont Plantation--Located in New Iberia, was destroyed by fire in 1947. Original structure was the residence of the last Spanish Viceroy in the Attakapas District. The only change is that the structure was lowered to ground level from a brick story.

Beauregard Plantation--  built about 1830 its name is from Judge Rene R Beauregard and known as "Bueno Retiro" is presently used as Chalmette National Park Visitor Center, it is located at Chalmette National Park. St Bernard Parish. The last owner was the son of General P G T Beauregard.

Becnel Place Plantation- Located Baton Rouge Louisiana

Bermuda Plantation--The plantation was settled in 1718 by Emanuel Prudhomme, who planted the first cotton in Louisiana. The house was built by Phanor Prudhomme in 1821, and has since been inhabited by eight generations of his descendants. Later renamed Oakland.

Berry Plantation- formerly called the Brightsides Plantation north of Red River Louisiana W Wyly owner

Brightside Plantation- north of Red River Louisiana

Bocage Plantation--was built in 1801 by Marius Pons Bringier  for his eldest daughter Francoise, who married Christophe Colomb.

Bethia Plantation- owned by Donelson Caffey located in St Mary's Parish

Bore Plantation-- The first home of Charles Gayarre 1781-1820 grandson of  Plantation owner Jean Etienne Boré (1741-1820) First Mayor of New Orleans 1803-1804. Here Boré first granulated sugar in 1795. Purchased for Audobon park in 1871

Bayou Bourbeau Plantation - Natchitoches La

Braeme Plantation--in city limits of Baton Rouge just off Lee Drive and Perkins Road (Whitehaven Street)

Buck Ridge Plantation-- owned by James Stuart Douglass, Sr. until he died in 1837.  He left it to his wife, Emaline Evans Douglass, and his brothers, Stephen Douglass and Archibald Douglass.    Emaline changed its name to Shady Grove Plantation.  She remarried in 1841 to Maxwell Bland.  When she died in 1849, she left the plantation to her children.  But, her husband, Maxwell, sold the property without the permission of the minors - and it later became a court case when the children wanted their property . This plantation is located in Tensas Parish Louisiana. submitted by Teresa Gardner

Bull Plantation

Bush Grove Plantation--Lafourche Crossing, La

Caffery House Plantation--

Calumet Plantaton-- built in 1836 the home of Douglass C Montan in Patterson St Mary Parish Louisiana the name is derived from the Indian word for peace pipe.

Capri Plantation - located in

Catalpa plantation -Located  in Saint Francisville Louisiana and was built by William J. Fort in 1885.

Cautillion was owned by Mr Dalcour Feb 1, 1727

Caillou Grove Plantation -owned by Robert Ruffin Barrow 

C B Richardson Plantation- East Carroll Parish

Cedar Grove plantation home in Bayou Rapides Louisiana

Chatsworth Plantation- was built in 1859 in East Baton Rouge Parish, by Fergus Peniston. François Gardère bought the plantation in 1866.  By 1895 - 1920, the plantation was owned by the Womack family. It was acquired by Joseph Staring in 1920 In 1930, Chatsworth Plantation House was destroyed when the leveee was moved.

Chatham Estate/Plantation in Ascension Parish … Henry S. Johnson   In the 1830’s Henry S. Johnson purchased a number of adjoining tracts of land in Ascension Parish, which he combined to form Chatham Estate, a large Plantation which bordered John R. Thompson’s Claiborne Plantation in Iberville Parish, the parish line ran between the two plantations.  At various times during his life Henry Johnson would be a U.S. Representative, U.S. Senator, Planter, and Governor of Louisiana. In 1844, Phillip B. Key purchased a half interest in Chatham Plantation from Henry Johnson, a year later he would sell that half interest to John R. Thompson.  In 1851, Henry Johnson sold to John R. Thompson his half interest in Chatham Plantation.  This purchase gave Thompson full ownership.  

Claiborne Plantation in Iberville Parish … John R. Thompson

Chretien Point Plantation - was erected 1835 and completed in 1839 by Hypolite Chretien. Hypolite died soon afterwards and his widow Madame; Felicite Chretien nee; Neds ran the plantation until her death.

College House Plantation--It is thought it  was located on the campus grounds of LSU in Baton Rouge Louisiana.

Colomb Plantation-- Convent, La. Built about 1840 by Christiophe Columb

Columbia Plantation-- located in St John the Baptist Parish

Conrad Plantation-also known as, Hackberry Hall, and The Cottage, located on the Great River Road (East Bank) just SE of LSU

Cottage Plantation-- was built about 1800 located in West Feliciana Parish Louisiana on land secured by John Allen and Patrick Holland by Spanish land grant in 1795, and acquired by Judge Thomas Butler.  and was owned by Margaret Butler in 1821- 1890

Creedmore Plantation- Owned by Dr. W P Green located in St Bernard parish who was murdered by Robert Smith in 1886

Crescent Farm Plantation--was built in 1834, and located near Houma, La .by William Alexander Shaffer, a pioneer from South Carolina. The plantation house is located near Southdown .

Crescent Plantation Madison Parish Louisiana was built in 1832 and acquired by the Dancy family

Crescent Plantation  also known as Hymel, which was owned by Eugene Champagne in 1815 and operated as a small sugar farm. The raised plantation house, built in 1840 by Jean Armant, is abandoned and deteriorating.

Darby House Plantation.--Constructed 1827 in Baldwin, Louisiana. St. Mary Parish.

Davey Plantation--

Deer Range Plantation-

Denis Plantation, --Located on Louisiana Hwy. 1, Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana

Derbigny Plantation --home is located in Elmwood Louisiana and was built about 1830's.

Desire Plantation--This plantation was also known as Alcidesire was built about 1835, and differed from other plantations as they grew tobacco, and had aperique cigar factory. A store D Leblanc store was still in operation until 1905 and was located in Back Vacherie

Destrehan Manor  Plantation --was  built by Charles, a free man of color, for Jean Noël's father-in-law, Robert Antoine Robin de Logny according to a building contract signed by Charles and Robin de Logny in 1787. In 1793, Jean Noël Destrehan and his wife, Marie Céleste Robin de Logny, moved to the house after the death of Marie Céleste's father. Oldest know plantation home in the Mississippi Valley

Downs Plantation- St Francisville--Lucy Matthews

Ducros Plantation--was built before the Civil War on land granted by Spain to Thomas Villanueva Barroso,  The house and plantation were purchased about 1845 or 1846 by Van Perkins Winder, who developed the land into one of the first great sugarcane plantations in Terrebonne Parish. Confederate and Union soldiers occupied the house during the Civil War.

Dulcito Plantation--constructed about 1850 onon Spanish Lake on hwy la 182 in New Iberia, La.

Dunckelman Plantation-- located in  Natchitoches, Louisiana

Eden Plantation  built 1830 by Pleasant Hunter, located on Bayou Rapides 13.3 miles north of alexandria,la.  restored and private owned.  Is on the National Historical Registery since 1985.

E D White Plantation-- located on Hwy 1 the house was built about 1790 by Edward Douglas White Sr, Judge of Lafourche Interior Territory and seventh governor of Louisiana, The home is also where  his son, Edward Douglass While, Jr. (who added another s to his name), Louisiana's most famous jurist. He served on the Louisiana Supreme Court, as a member of the U.S. Senate, and as a justice of the U.S. Supreme Court for nearly three decades, 11 of those years as chief justice.The house is part of the State Museum system, is on the National Register of Historie Places, and has been designated a National Historic Landmark.

Ellendale Plantation-- located north of Houma on Hwy 311 it was built in the early 1800's and has a sugar house  built on the property,. It is located near the  Ardoyne Plantation. The land was acquired by Andrew McCollam in 1851. Named for his wife, Ellen,  Since its original construction, the house has been enlarged several times. On the grounds still stands one wall of an old sugar mill, a reminder of what once was a sugar plantation in the early 1800's.  Eliza Connell West died at 76 years old at Ellendale July 1, 1893.

Ellerslie Plantation-- located north of Bains, Louisiana and built by James Hammond Coulter was built in 1828 and finished in 1832. The original owners were Willam Center Wade and Olivia Ruffin Lane Ratcliff Wade, ( I have been told the location of this plantation is actually Bayou Sale, La.on Hwy. 317 about 7 miles away from the bay where Burns Point is located , Th e plantation home is four miles south of the intracoastal canal.

Elm Hall Plantation--New Orleans, La

Elm Park Plantation--

Elmwood Plantation-- John H Ransdell's home located in Alexandria, Rapides Parish

Elmwood Plantation, constructed 1762. 5400 River Road, Jefferson Parish, La.

Elsie Plantation-

Evan Hall Plantation--McCall Louisiana

Evangeline Plantation -- located  3 miles from Bunkie on parish graveled road at Evergreen. Owned by Miss Gladys Heard. Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana.

Evergreen Plantation-- Located in Edgard Louisiana in St John the Baptist Parish was constructed in 1832

Part 2

Oak Alley Plantation -  Magnolia Plantation -  Belle Grove Plantation

Sources: Louisiana and the Sugar Plantations. Wikipedia, Library of Congress, Louisiana a guide to the state, New Orleans Picayune, and contributors

© Copyright by JRice 2012

All data on this website is © Copyright 2012 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.