Fanning's Illustrated Gazetteer of the United States
State, Territories, Counties, Cities, Towns & Post Offices
Transcribed by Jeana Gallagher and Sandy Stutzman for the exclusive use of Genealogy Trails
PT is post town; PV is post village; PO is post office, PB is post borough, CH is court house, T is town
1850 Indian Territory
A Vast region set apart by the United States as the permanent home of certain Indian tribes who have been removed thither, and natives of the soil, lies between 34° and 40° north latitude, and 94°20' and 100° longitude west from Greenwich. It is bounded north by the Northwestern Territory, east by Missouri and Arkansas, south by Texas and New Mexico, and west by Texas, New Mexico and Utah. Its superficial area is about 200,00 square miles.
Physical Aspect--The Ozark range of mountains traverse the southwestern corner of this tract. From this point eastward the country presents a series of slightly undulating plains, gradually ascending toward the Rocky mountains, where they have an elevation of 4,000 or 5,000 feet. These mountains, forming the western boundary, rise to the elevation of 12,000 feet. The Great American desert stretches along the eastern part of the Rocky mountains, from the Northwestern territory through the Indian territory into Texas, a length if nearly 600 miles. Its width varied from 100 to 200 miles. The soil of this land is arid, sterile, and almost destitute of trees, and even of shrubs. There are occasional plains and prairies, which afford subsistence to herds of bison, wild horse and other animals. A belt of about 200 miles wide, adjoining Arkansas and Missouri, is favorable to settlement. Its soil id fertile, and it is watered by numerous rivers, none of which, however, are adapted to navigation.
Rivers--The principal rivers are, Red river, Canadian, Arkansas, Neosho, Kansas and Platte rivers, with their tributaries. The largest of these rivers rise in the Rocky mountains, and flow east into the Missouri and Mississippi. Red river and the Arkansas are navigable at certain seasons to within the Indian territory by steamboats, and the Kansas by boats.
Climate--The atmosphere is salubrious and in the southern portion the climate is so mild, that domestic animals find support through the winter without the care of their owners,
Resources--Iron, lead and coal are abundant. The Indians have, in many instances, converted their settlements into well cultivated farms, and various grains, vegetables and other agricultural products of corresponding latitudes east of the Mississippi are raised in abundance.
Government--The Cherokees, Creeks and Choctaws are the most advanced toward civilization of any of the foregoing tribes. They have good houses, well fenced and well tilled fields, and own horses and cattle to a considerable extent. They have also native mechanics and merchants. They have adopted an improved system of government. The Choctaws and Creeks have a written constitution; and the former have introduced trial by jury. The other transported tribes are said to have improved in their condition since their removal from the east. But the indigenous tribes have not, as a general thing, improved in the same degree as their brethren from the east. They still cling to their wild pleasures, and prefer the excitement of the hunt and of war, to the peaceful monotony of civilization.
Population--The inhabitants of the Indian territory consist of tribes indigenous to the country, and the tribes, transported thither under the authority of the United States. The numbers belong to each class and tribe, in 1841 were as follows:
|Otoes & Missouris||931|
|Chippewas, Ottawas & etc||2,028|
|Peorias & Kaskaskias||150|
|Senecas from Sandusky||125|
|Senecas & Shawnees||211|
|Stockbridges, Munsees & etc||278|
|Swan Creek & etc||62|
|Wyandots of Ohio||385|
Indians, who formerly inhabited the north part of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and a portion of Tennessee, most of whom have been removed to a territory west of Arkansas, provided for them by the United States government. Schools and missionary establishments have been successfully instituted among this people from time to time; but equally or more efficacious means of civilization have been introduced through the agency of agriculture and the mechanic arts. Their territory embraces ____ square miles and is traversed by Arkansas, Verdigris and Neosho rivers. The chief town and military station is Fort Gibson on the Neosho river. Population: in 1826 was about 16,000 & in 1841 was 25,911
The town of Dwight in Pope Co, AR, 77 miles NW of Little Rock, contains a missionary station among the Cherokees established by the American Board of Foreign Missions in 1820.
Kidron PV in the Cherokee Nation, AR
Indians, who formerly inhabited the regions along the head branches of the Alabama, Tombigbee and Yazoo rivers, in the northwest part of Georgia and the northerly parts of Alabama and Mississippi, most of whom have emigrated to the territory west of Arkansas on the north side of the Red river, appropriated for them by the United States government. Area of their territory, ____ square miles. Chief town, Fort Washita. Population: in 1830 was 3,500 and in 1841 was 4,111
Indians (Flat Heads), who dwelt in the northwest part of Mississippi, most of whom have emigrated to the territory appropriated for them by the United States government, west of Arkansas, on the south side of Canadian river. The principle stations are Armstrong, Academy, Boggy Depot, Choctaw Agency, Doaksville, Eagletown, and Wheelock, where their are post offices. Population: in 1841 was 12,410
Indians (Muscogees), who formerly inhabited the western part of Georgia and eastern portion of Alabama, most of whom have emigrated to the territory west of Arkansas, on the Arkansas river, appropriated for them by the United States government. Area of their territory, _____ square miles. Chief station, Creek Agency, Population: in 1841 was 24,594 & in 1850 was 25,000.
[PT is post town; PV is post village; PO is post office, PB is post borough, CH is court house, T is town]
|Great Crossing||PV||Scott Co, KY||water by Elkhorn creek, seat of Indian academy|
|Uniontown||PO||only listed as in Indian Territory|
Back to Index Page of 1850 Gazetteer
BACK TO STATE DATA
bACK TO gENEALOGY tRAILS