General Edward Braddock
Commander-in-chief for North America during the actions at the start of the French and Indian War (1754–1763). He is generally best remembered for his command of a disastrous expedition against the French-occupied Ohio Country in 1755, in which he lost his life.
|Appointed to command against the French in America, he landed in Virginia on 20
February 1755 with two regiments of British regulars. He met with several of the colonial governors at the Congress
of Alexandria on 14 April and was persuaded to undertake vigorous actions against the French. A general from Massachusetts
would attack at Fort Niagara, General Johnson at Crown Point, Colonel Monckton at Fort Beausejour on the Bay of
Fundy. He would lead an Expedition against Fort Duquesne at the Forks of the Ohio.
After some months of preparation, in which he was hampered by administrative confusion and want of resources, the Braddock expedition took the field with a picked column, in which George Washington served as a volunteer officer. The column crossed the Monongahela River on 9 July 1755, and almost immediately afterwards encountered an Indian and French force. Braddock's troops were completely surprised and routed, and Braddock, rallying his men time after time, fell at last, mortally wounded by a shot through the chest.
|Braddock was borne off the field by Washington and another officer, and died on
13 July 1755, just four days after the battle. He was buried just west of Great Meadows, where the remnants of
the column halted on its retreat to reorganize. Braddock was buried in the middle of the road and wagons were rolled
over top of the grave site to prevent his body from being discovered and desecrated. George Washington presided
at the burial service, as the chaplain had been severely wounded.
He was succeeded by William Shirley.
In 1804, human remains believed to be Braddock's were found buried in the roadway about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) west of Great Meadows by a crew of road workers. The remains were exhumed and reburied. A marble monument was erected over the new grave site in 1913 by the Coldstream Guards. The grave site is considered to be British territory.