Surrounding Counties:
Anne Arundel (north)
Prince George's (northwest)
Charles (west)
Dorchester (east)
Talbot (east)
St. Mary's (south)

Visit our:
Maryland State Site
National Site
Calvert County Maryland
Genealogy & History presented by Genealogy Trails
BOND, Holdsworth Wheeler
Physician; born in Calvert Co., Md., Sept. 29, 1807; son of Thomas Holdsworth
and Susan Adelaide (Briscoe) Bond; graduated from Charlotte Hall (Md.)
Military Academy, 1886; attended Missouri Medical College and College of
Physicians and Surgeons, St. Louis, M. D., 1890; married, St. Louis, June 1,
1899, Isabelle Scudder; two daughters: Mary Scudder and Isabelle Brooke.
After graduation from military academy served for short time as clerk with
Weems Line of Steamers, of Baltimore; came to St. Louis for medical study,
September, 1887; has practiced in St. Louis since 1890; practice now limited
to gynecology. Member St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State . Medical
Association, Society of City Hospital Alumni, American Medical Association,
American Public Health Association. Was assistant physician St. Louis City
Hospital , 1890-92; teacher of anatomy, Marion-Sims College of Medicine,
1890-94. Democrat. Member St. Louis Board of Health, 1903-06; health
commissioner, 1906-11; appointed by Mayor Kreismann member St. Louis
Hospital Board, May, 1912; now in private practice. Appointed by President
Taft April, 1911, first lieutenant Medical Reserve Corps, U. S. A. Episcopalian.
Clubs: St. Louis , St. Louis Country. Recreations: golf and hunting. Office:
Metropolitan Bldg. Residence: 17 Vandeventer Place .
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

BOND, Young Hance
Physician; born in Calvert Co., Md., July 18, 1846; son of Hon. James A. and
Sarah E. (Hance) Bond; educated at Charlotte Hall Military College, and later
attended Princeton College; graduated from University of Maryland, M.D.,
1867; (A.M., McKendree College, LL.D., St Louis University); married, St.
Louis, Sept. 10,1868, Minnie Slayback (deceased); children: Elizabeth (Mrs. A.
C. Scales), Marie (Mrs. Fletcher B. Harris), Daisy C. (Mrs. Theodore Gowans),
Nellie (Mrs. Walter Shields); married, 2d, Brockville, Ont, 1907, Mary I. Forbes.
After graduation, 1867, came to St. Louis and established in practice of
medicine, in which has ever since continued. During administration of Mayor
Britton, was member of Board of Health of St. Louis, and was author of
resolution establishing contract system for purchase of all supplies used in the
Health Department, hospitals, etc., and author of the measure establishing the
first Woman's Hospital, now known as the St Louis Female Hospital . Founder,
and for thirteen years dean of Marion-Sims College of Medicine; dean St Louis
University Medical Department, three years; founder St. Louis Dental College.
Member St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association,
American Medical Association, American Medical College Association.
President Overland Real Estate Co. Club: St. Louis . Recreation: farming.
Office: 916 N. Taylor Ave. Residence: Washington Terrace Apartments, 535
Clara Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

GANTT, Edward
Edward Gantt, of Calvert Co., d. young; m. Anne Baker, and left two sons:
Thomas; Edward, who tradition says went to England, where he died early in
[Transcribed by RB - Colonial Families of the United States of America, Publ. 1907]

GANTT, Edward
Edward, b. 1738, M.D. and D.D.; took orders in the Episcopal Church and was
ordained in 1770; had several charges in Maryland and Georgetown, D. C.; was
rector of Christ Church, Calvert Co., 1785-1796; was for five terms chaplain in
the United States Senate. Moved to West Virginia in 1808, and d. near
Louisville, Ky., aged 96 years.
[Transcribed by RB - Colonial Families of the United States of America, Publ. 1907]

GANTT, Edward
Edward Gantt, b, 1714, known as Capt. Edward Gantt, was a Captain in the
Colonial Troops 1752, and of the Continental Army 1776. Member of the
Committee of Observation for Calvert Co., 1774. Member of the Association of
Freemen. Vestryman of Christ Church, Calvert Co., 1747, and later of All
Saints Church, Calvert Co. He signed in both Registers as Captain; m. circa
1736, Elizabeth Wheeler, dau. of Robert and Mary Wheeler.
[Transcribed by RB - Colonial Families of the United States of America, Publ. 1907]

GANTT (Heighe), Elizabeth
Elizabeth Heighe, b. 1757; d. 1789; m. John Broome; from them derives the
Broome family of Calvert Co.
[Transcribed by RB - Colonial Families of the United States of America, Publ. 1907]

GANTT, Henry Lawrence
Of Pawtucket, R. I., b. in Calvert Co., Md., 20th May, 1861; m. 29th November,
1899, Mary E. Snow of Fitchburg, Mass. ISSUE I. Margaret  Heighe, b. 20th
September, 1900.

Henry Lawrence Gantt removed with his parents to Baltimore, 1871; educated,
1873-78, at the McDonough School, being one of the boys that entered the
school on the day it was opened; graduate Johns Hopkins University, A.B.,
1880; taught at McDonough School for three years; graduate of Stevens
Institute in 1884, as M.E.; since which time engaged in the work of Mechanical
Engineer, with Poole & Hunt, Baltimore, two years; Midvale Steel Co.,
Philadelphia, six years; for a number of years engaged in reorganizing
manufacturing plants; by invitation read a paper, entitled "The Principal of
Management," before the International Congress of Arts and Sciences at the
St. Louis Exposition.
[Transcribed by RB - Colonial Families of the United States of America, Publ. 1907]

GANTT, Thomas
Thomas Gantt, bap. in England, 1615; emigrated to Maryland, 1660, and
settled on “Myrtle Range," on the Patuxent River, near White Landing, Prince
George's Co., Md.; was, in 1689, one of a Committee to regulate civil affairs in
Calvert Co. Md.; one of His Majesty's Justices, 1689; in 1683 was one of the
Justices of the Quorum; m. Mary Graham of Scotland, and left one son:
[Transcribed by RB - Colonial Families of the United States of America, Publ. 1907]

GANTT, Thomas
Thomas Gantt, of Calvert Co., Md., was a Justice, 1725; in 1728 was a
Justice of the Quorum; 1732, Justice of the Peace; in 1715 “Myrtle Range,"
his grandfather's place, was resurveyed for him; m. in 1707, Priscilla Brooke,
dau. of Colonel Thomas Brooke, and his second wife, Barbara Dent.
[Transcribed by RB - Colonial Families of the United States of America, Publ. 1907]

GANTT, M.D., Thomas
Thomas M.D., b. 1710; was a distinguished physician and a member of the
South River Club; in, 1725-6, (firstly) Rachel Smith, b. 1712-3; dau. of Colonel
John Smith and Dorothy Taney, dau. of Michael and Dorothy (Brooke) Taney;
m. (secondly) Mrs. Hilleary.
[Transcribed by RB - Colonial Families of the United States of America, Publ. 1907]

GANTT, Thomas
Thomas, b. 1736; was chairman of the Provincial Council, 1775; member of the
Association of Freemen, and signer of the Declaration of Rights, 1775; member
of the Committee of Correspondence, etc; m (firstly) Susanna Mackall, dau. of
John and Mary (Hance) Mackall.
[Transcribed by RB - Colonial Families of the United States of America, Publ. 1907]

A Delegate from Maryland; born near the mouth of St. Leonards Creek, Calvert
County, Md., November 4, 1732; at an early age moved to Annapolis, Md.;
studied law; was admitted to the bar; entered the provincial assembly as a
delegate from Anne Arundel County in 1762; member of the committee of
correspondence and of the council of safety; assisted in organizing the
Potomac Co. for improving the navigation of the Potomac River; a member of
the Annapolis Convention of June 1774; Member of the Continental Congress
1774-1776; nominated George Washington as commander in chief of the
American forces June 15, 1775; delegate to the first constitutional convention
of Maryland in 1776; served in the Revolutionary War as senior brigadier
general of Maryland Militia; first Governor of Maryland 1777-1779; moved to
Frederick County, Md.; member of the Maryland house of delegates in 1780,
1786, and 1787; member of the Maryland convention for ratification of the
Federal Constitution in 1788; chief judge of the general court of Maryland in
1790 and 1791; appointed by President Washington the first United States
judge for the district of Maryland in September 1789 but declined; appointed
Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court in 1791 to fill the
vacancy caused by the resignation of John Rutledge and served until February
1793, when he resigned on account of ill health; declined a Cabinet portfolio of
Secretary of State tendered by President Washington August 24, 1795;
appointed by President John Adams chief judge of the Territory of Columbia
February 28, 1801; member of the Board of Commissioners of the Federal City;
died at ''Rose Hill,'' Frederick, Md., October 26, 1819; interment in All Saints'
Episcopal Churchyard; reinterment in Mount Olivet Cemetery, Frederick, Md.
[Contributed  by RB - United States. Congress. Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-2005. Washington,
D.C.: Government Printing Office, 2005]

JOHNSON, Thomas, associate justice of the U. S. supreme court, was born in
Calvert county, Md., Nov. 4, 1732. He studied for the bar and became a
practising lawyer in Maryland. For ten years he represented his county in the
house of delegates, where he was pronounced in his opposition to the stamp
act, and in 1775, as deputy from Maryland to the congress at Philadelphia, he
nominated George Washington as commander-in-chief of the army. He was for
several years a member of congress, held high military positions in Maryland,
was the first governor of that state, continuing in office during 1777-78 and
1779, was a member of the Maryland house of delegates in 1780 and 1781,
and from the latter year to 1787 a member of the Continental congress. As an
ardent federalist, he supported the U. S. constitution in the Maryland
convention of 1789. After having been chief judge of the general court of
Maryland, he was appointed, Nov. 2, 1791, one of the justices of the U. S.
supreme court, and when Chief Justice Rutledge resigned, President
Washington offered Judge Johnson the chief justiceship. This he declined. He
resigned from the supreme court bench in 1793, and two years later was
tendered the appointment of secretary of state, which he also declined. He
finally, however, became one of the commissioners to lay out the city of
Washington. He died at Rose Hill, Frederick Co., Md., Oct. 25, 1819.
[Contributed  by RB - National Cyclopedia of American Biography, 1893]

WILKINSON, James, soldier, was born in Calvert county, Md., in 1757. He was
educated under the care of a private tutor until he arrived at the age of
seventeen, when he commenced the study of medicine. On the outbreak of the
revolution he enlisted in the army under Washington, and after the evacuation
of Boston, joined Arnold's command. He became intimate with both Arnold
and Burr, and having received a captain's commission, accompanied the
former on his expedition into Canada. He was promoted to rank of major,
fought with some distinction in New Jersey, was appointed to the staff of Gen.
Horatio Gates, and successively promoted to be colonel and adjutant-general.
He fought at the battle of Bemis Heights, Oct. 19, 1777, and it is said that his
advice was solicited and followed by Gen. Gates in several instances during
this campaign. After the surrender of Burgoyne, Wilkinson was sent as bearer
of the news to congress, with the recommendation that he be appointed
brigadier-general. His claim to this distinction was a fictitious one, however,
gained by taking to himself the credit for an act of daring performed by Col.
John Hardin, of Kentucky. As Wilkinson took eighteen days for the delivery of
his dispatches from Saratoga, the news was a week old when he arrived, a fact
which, in congress, brought him under the satirical tongue of Dr. John
Witherspoon. He got his brevet of brigadier-general, notwithstanding, and
through Gates's influence secured a position on the board of war. Meantime
he had become mixed up with the "Conway Cabal" against Washington, and it
was through him that the fact of the existence of the conspiracy leaked out. He
was forced to resign his commission as brevet brigadier-general in
consequence, and was not again in active service until near the end of the war,
when, for a time, he had a position in connection with the quartermaster-
general's department. After the war, while engaging in certain speculations
with a view to trading with New Orleans and Natchez, he became involved in a
treasonable project in connection with the Spanish government of the lower
Mississippi, the object of which was to alienate the West from the East, and to
build a separate republic or empire, under the protectorate of Spain. The
exposure of the conspiracy to the convention which was about forming a
constitution for the new state of Kentucky, and upon which Wilkinson
depended for the consummation of his plan, caused the entire defeat of his
scheme. His trading speculations proving no more successful, he applied to be
reinstated in the army in 1791. He succeeded in obtaining an appointment as
lieutenant-colonel, and was in service in the West with Gen. Anthony Wayne.
It has been shown that up to 1800 he was in receipt of a pension from the
Spanish government, and his intrigues involved the southwestern frontier in
savage warfare for the next dozen years. Meanwhile, in March, 1792, he was
made a brigadier-general, and on the death of Gen. Wayne in 1796, he became
commander-in-chief of the army. In 1805 Wilkinson was made governor of
Louisiana. Aaron Burr, who was at that time developing his scheme for a
southwestern empire, always declared that Gen. Wilkinson was involved in the
conspiracy, a declaration which was believed by Gen. Jackson. Some even
alleged that Wilkinson originated the whole conspiracy. Being court-martialed
in 1811, and charged with treasonable connection with Burr, he was acquitted.
The evidence which was afterward brought to light, and which would have
convicted him, was not then known to be in existence. Appointed major-
general in 1813, Wilkinson got into trouble with other officers, and two years
later was the subject of a court of inquiry. At the close of the second war with
Great Britain he was discharged from the U. S. service. He then removed to
Mexico, where he owned much property. He died there Dec. 28, 1825.
[Contributed  by RB - National Cyclopedia of American Biography, 1893]