Prince George's County, Maryland
Historic Graves of Maryland and the District of Columbia
Helen West Ridgely, National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Maryland, Historic Graves of Maryland and the District of Columbia: With the Inscriptions Appearing on the Tombstones in Most of the Counties of the State and in Washington and Georgetown, (New York: The Grafton Press, 1908), pgs. 74-91.
TO vary the monotony that must inevitably ensue from following names and dates too closely, and from contemplating the skull and cross bones at every turn, it is proposed in this chapter to make a slight digression. As a means to this end the notebook of one of the members of the Colonial Dames, who accompanied the writer on a trip through Lower Maryland, will be largely drawn upon.
The season chosen was the month of June, but the day opened with clouds in the sky. Our first objective point was Old St. Barnabas church, Queen Anne parish, Prince George's county, standing about a mile distant from Leeland, on the Southern Maryland Railroad. Arrangements had been made with a liveryman of Upper Mariborough, the county seat, to have a team awaiting the party at the station, but it failed to materialize. Nothing daunted by this hitch in our plans, we climbed into a lumber wagon, the only thing available going in our direction. Our sable driver proved to be an encyclopedic compilation of facts as to the surrounding neighborhood, and promised valuable assistance in the shape of a conveyance to Upper Mariborough, our next stopping point, if nothing better could be found.
St. Barnabas church stands in a beautiful old grove. It is one of those barn-like brick structures remaining from the past, that derive much of their picturesqueness from the shape of their roofs. This happens to be something between a gambrel and a mansard without windows, dominated by a ridged peak. According to the vestry books, St. Barnabas was erected between the years 1772 and 1773. Cut on a brick near one of the windows at the chancel end, is the date July 3, 1774, the meaning of which is left to conjecture.
In the churchyard no ancient tombs are visible, but it was ascertained from Mrs. Turner, the rector's wife, that the earliest graves lay in front of the church and on the side nearest the public road; also that the dead were so thickly buried there, that no other interments could be made. A lych gate, built in recent years, marks the front boundary of this ancient God's acre, and the land back of the church, where an earlier parsonage stood, has been turned into a graveyard to answer the needs of modern times. The stones here are of comparatively recent date, and among them we find one to the memory of the Rev. Thomas F. Billop, a former rector. He is also honored by a memorial window, one of twelve in the church.
Perhaps the ecclesiastic worthy of the most importance, whose memory is thus perpetuated, is the Rev. Jacob Henderson, commissary of the churches in the Province, sent here by the Bishop of London in 1717, and appointed to the rectorship of Queen Anne parish. His ministrations covered a long period of thirty-four years, and only ended with his death. The marble font, that stands in a recess between the two front doors, and also the communion service, which is still in use, date from the second year of his incumbency.
Our investigations around St. Barnabas church were about over when the Reverend Mr. Turner arrived on the scene. He very kindly put himself and his buggy at our disposal, and, by obtaining the escort of a lady parishioner, we were able to reach Upper Marlborough, five miles away, in time for dinner at the Marlboro' House.
Here our surroundings were nothing, if not historic. The house itself, tradition saith, was built for a bank, and is quaint and rambling; while our landlady—to preserve the historic harmony—was the descendant of Governor Ogle. The grave of Doctor Beanes is in sight from the porch, surrounded by a brick wall. This inscription is:
William Beanes son of William and Mary Beanes was born January 24 1749 and was married to Sarah Hawkins Hanson November 25, 1773 Died 12th October 1828 in the 80 year of his Age.
Here lies the Body of Sarah Hawkins Beanes Daughter of Samuel and Ann Hanson Born August 12, 1750 Married to William Beanes November 25th 1773 And died 15th July 1822 In the 72nd year of her Age.
The remains of Gov. Thos. Sim Lee (1792-94), buried originally in the Catholic burying ground, now lie in the new churchyard at Upper Marlborough.
An old Clagett place is to be found a little off from the road going from Marlborough towards Rosaryville. The graveyard is indicated by a wooded knoll surrounded by a post and rail fence. Besides some children's graves, of recent date, there are only two stones of any prominence. A prostrate obelisk, inclosed by an iron railing, marks the burial place of its late owner:
Thos. Clagett born Jan. 10, 1791 died Aug. 27th 1873 In the 83rd year of his age. An upright man that feareth God.
On the other monument is inscribed:
Sacred to the Memory of Susan Clagett wife of Thos. W. Clagett born the 25th of October 1814 died the 18th of Nov. 1843. She lived the life of the Righteous and died with Confidence in Jesus.
On a farm between Leeland and Upper Marlborough are some Hillary and Belt graves. The widow Hillary married Benjamin Bowie.
At "Acquasco," formerly "Covington's Fields," now owned by Mr. Watson, and not far from Patuxent, is a stone to the memory of
Mr. Leonard Covington who departed this life the 19th of March 1742 in the 30th year of his age.
" Ranelagh," about six miles from Upper Marlborough and twelve from Washington, is the original home of the Contee family. Amidst the cypress trees in the graveyard is a large flat tombstone supported by four columns which bears the following inscription:
Underneath is interred the remains of Margaret Contee, wife of John Contee who died December 30th 1793 in the 68th year of her age.
A little farther off is buried Mrs. Mary Contee, consort of Richard Alex. Contee and daughter of David and Sarah Craufurd, who died in Upper Marlborough on March 11, in the year of our Lord 1787 in the nineteenth year of her age.
In the graveyard at "Belair," near Collington, once the residence of Governor Ogle, are the graves of Benjamin Ogle, who died April 4, 1845, aged 57, and Anna Maria Ogle, his wife, who died December 28, 1856, in the 80th year of her age.
In a graveyard on the road leading from Berwin to Springfield are buried the following:
W. W. Duvall, died July 27, 1827; Rebecca Duvall born July 28, 1787, died May 8,1858; Rachel E. daughter of R. Bond & Mary D. Walker, born July 29, 1824, died Nov. 14, 1826.
After a brief refreshment, we renewed our journey, this time for Croome, where the rector, Rev. Frank Willes, was waiting for us. We examined the parish church, St. Thomas', and the churchyard, but found again not much to reward our labor. Bishop Claggett's home place lies between St. Thomas' Groom and Groom station. An effort was made some years ago to endow the church as a memorial to him, but so far it has not been accomplished. Since our visit his body has been removed from the family burial ground to the National Capital, and re-interred in the Cathedral Close.
On the old Claggett place, are the following graves and inscriptions:
Samuel Claggett Esq. Eldest son of Right Rev. J. T. C. Claggett born November 29th 1783 died November 5th, 1824.
Mrs. Mary Ann Eversfield Eldest daughter of Rev. Thomas John Claggett bora September 8th, 1776 died August 28th, 1810.
Mrs. Elizabeth Laura Young daughter of Rt. Rev. Thomas John Claggett bora March 3rd., 1787 died November 1864.
On a farm owned by Mrs. Fendall Marbury near Groom:
William Bowie born March 3, 1787 died Jan. 3, 1848.
Catherine Lansdale Born Jan. 13th, 1800 Died Oct. 22nd. 1867.
Mary E. L. Bowie Born Sept. 10th, 1823 Died . . . 1838.
Robert Bowie Born Oct. 6th 1821 Died Jan 17th 1860.
From Groom, we pressed on to Nottingham, where we found only desolation. The port of entry once so famous, like its neighbor Benedict, now lies silent and forlorn, with only memories to keep it company. We found here that our cherished plan of an extension into Calvert could not be fulfilled at this time, the boat schedule preventing, so we retraced our road to the rectory, where under the old trees we had a restful little supper, and later drove home through the woody roads, the evening birds singing their sweetest in the cool shades.
Not far from Nottingham, on the old Waring farm, now belonging to Mrs. Wilkinson, daughter of the late E. S. Holly- day, is a genealogical table all on one stone:
Here h'es the body of Leonard Waring, who departed this life in the year 1806, in the 60th year of his age; he was the son of Major Frank Waring, who was the son of Basil Waring, Gent; commissioned Capt. of Dragoons by His Majesty George the 3rd on 14th of July 1715, he was the son of Basil Waring the 1st, who was son of Capt. Sampson Waring of His Majesties Provincial Commissioners of Md. who died in the year 1663.
In the same district at Brookefield, the old Hollyday home, is a tombstone with a fine coat of arms and the motto:
Nulle virtute secundus. Here lyeth interred the Body of Coll. Leonard Hollyday who departed this life May 6th 1747 Aged 49 years and 2 days.
The graveyard at Brookefield Manor lies in the part of the estate owned by Mrs. Elizabeth Worthington Bowie, now living in Washington. Among those said to be buried there are Alexander Contee who died in 1741, and his son, Col. Thomas Contee, in 1811, whose stones have been covered by the sod; also Maj. Thos. Brooke, who died in 1676, and his son, Col. Thos. Brooke, in 1744, neither of whom is honored with a stone.
The next day we drove to the old Tyler place, now owned by Mr. Wilson of Calvert county, where there were gravestones in a private burial ground reached through plowed ground. Many of the stones have fallen, but the inscriptions can still be read, among which are:
In Memory of Truman Tyler Died Augt 13, 1849 Aged 53 years.
In Memory of Grace wife of Truman Tyler died Dec. 22-1851 Aged 74 years.
In Memory of Jane H. daughter of Truman and Grace C. Tyler Died July 10th 1844 Aged 84 years.
In Memory of Edwin M. Dorsey Died Oct. 16th 1833 Aged 30 years.
The Tylers were prominent people, and a part of the family, who moved further north, into what was formerly Prince George's county, composed that branch of the family to which Dr. Grafton Tyler and Dr. Samuel Tyler of Georgetown, D. C., and Frederick, Md., belonged. Some thirty years ago, a funeral took place from Dr. Grafton Tyler's home in Georgetown, leaving very early in the morning in order to reach the old graveyard in good season.
Our next quest was for the Craufurd place. To reach this we had to pass through the stable yard as the shortest way across a cornfield to a plateau, where in a clump of woods, now a perfect wilderness, lie the dead. Although the plantation, and indeed great possessions in land, belonged to David Craufurd, no trace could be found of his grave, but after we had cut away the vines and brambles, and cleared away the undergrowth, we found a tomb, much broken as to support, but a fair specimen of columnar slab. We were at first unable to decipher more than the name, but after vigorously scrubbing off the top of the tomb, a Latin inscription became visible, and was deciphered with much difficulty. Translated by Rev. G. A. Leakin, it reads as follows:
In this foundation is laid and ascends through travail into welcome regions, as much virtue as could permanently exist.
This was followed by the obituary and epitaph of Mrs. Martha Walker, daughter of David Craufurd, Esq.:
In Memory of Mrs. Martha Walker 3rd Daughter of David Craufurd Esquire who was born on the 11th day of February 1777, was married to George Walker of the city of Washington on the 16th day of December 1794, and died in childbirth on the 31st day of January 1796. This monument is erected by her affectionate Husband.
Condemned to lose the partner of my breast
Whose beauty charmed me and whose virtues blest,
Formed every tie that binds the soul to prove
Her duty, friendship, and that friendship love,
Gone to our lovely offspring just before;
Not parted long but now to part no more.
Closed are those eyes that felt another's woe
And cold those hands so ready to bestow.
Unpitying Death has summoned her away
And closed at morn our bright unclouded Day.
Sed Mors Janua Vitae.
On the same hillock, and apparently the only other stone, was one to the memory of Sarah Forrest who died January 8, 1864, aged 70. She was the daughter of Sarah, second daughter of David and Sarah Craufurd, who was bom in 1777, and died in 1832, and was the wife of Richard Forrest.
There may be other graves, but as has happened
so often in our experience, there was absolutely no trace of them— and we left no bit of stone unturned or rather
no thicket unexplored, to find one.
We sent our acknowledgments to Mrs. Sasscer, the present owner of the property, and drove along. Before we leave this Walker tomb we must record the fact that George Walker's signature is among those who disposed of their property to the Federal government for the site of the city of Washington, and that he was the original owner of that portion now known as Lafayette Square.
Our next drive was a long one, to the settlement of Baden. We learned, all too late, that the old estates of Woodyard and Poplar Hill, were close at hand. We drove past the Brick Church, for so the parish church of St. Paul has been called for generations, and halted at the store of Mr. Baden, where we fed our horses and enjoyed the luncheon put up by our wholesome hostess of the night before.
We found the key of the church at Mrs. Hyde's, for which family this seems a rallying point, three of the name being within half a mile.
St. Paul's church is in very good repair, not half so ancient looking as its daughter, St. Barnabas, and evidently restored not so long ago. As there were no very distinctive features, and absolutely no very old tombs, we adjourned to the grateful shades outside, where we found re-enforcements in a party who had been engaged in the preparation of a site for a grave stone. We discerned our opportunity, and seized it, for a man who serves as a burial director for three counties, cheery by nature, Joy by name, is not to be met with on every expedition. So we held a session, seated on the spreading roots of a superb old oak tree, while Joy imparted great store of knowledge, topographical, genealogical, biographical and monumental. Among other points we asked for centers whence teams could be procured, and board arranged for. Here Joy was in his element and furnished us with several addresses, where we might get teams for a week if necessary, and where we could be accommodated with lodgings. He lamented the fact, that while he would be happy to have us stop over at Hughesville, he could not provide a team for more than a day at a time, as he never knew just when his horses " Brightly " and " Sprightly " might be needed for a funeral. Although we represented a memorial committee, this did not appeal to us as a safe or desirable alternative, and so we crossed out Hughesville for a sojourn, although in so doing we left Joy behind us.
Mr. Joy having given us most specific directions for our visit to Mrs. Skinner, to whom we had letters from Reverend Mr. Willes, we pursued our way along the old plantation road, lined with cedars, a mile and a half from Baden, to the old Key place where the Greenfield tombs were.
A short ride brought us into the plantation of Magounskin, delightful survival of Indian possession. This portion of the farm belongs to Mr. Edmund Key who now lives in Texas, Mrs. Wilkinson owning the other tract. The tenant, Mrs. Goddard, was a protegee of Miss Margaretta Key, a sister of Edmund. Mrs. Goddard was indisposed, but the children conducted us to the spot, where, under a little group of walnut trees, lay the graves of four of the Greenfields, very well preserved, with one exception, and in this case we had to avail ourselves of our driver's skill with broom and hoe. The slabs were of brown stone, clearly lettered save where the moisture from the overhanging trees has worn the stone away, and bear the following inscriptions:
To the memory of James Truman Greenfield who died 6th April 1760 Aged 32 years.
Here lies the body of Col. Thomas Greenfield late one of his Majesties Honorourable Councell of Maryland, who died the 8th of September anno 1715 in the 67th year of his Age.
Here Lyeth Interred the Body of Elizabeth Parker the Daughter of Coin. Thomas Greenfield and Martha his wife. She departed this life the 2 Day of August 1715 Aged 19 years. A Dutiful child is the Glory of the Mother.
Here lyeth interred the Body of Martha wife of ... as Greenfield . . . This L ... her 171-.
Martha, wife of Col. Thos. Greenfield, was the daughter of James Truman, testator of 1672.
We were assured that in the adjoining field, we should find the grave of a colonial governor. When, however, we heard that his name was Swann, we had misgivings, and as no traces of the usual grove or indeed of even a stump appeared, we made note of the only person who could help us to explain the tradition, and, after getting our inscriptions down, we turned back to the main road.
From the many interesting bits of neighborhood history, given us by Mrs. Skinner, it seemed quite time for the chronicler to pass that way. At White's Landing, where Bishop Claggett was born, the gravestones had been taken up, hewn with a broad axe and thrown into the river, the perpetrators of this outrage averring that when they plowed the ground the crop of tobacco had grown seven feet high over the graves! We mentioned that a law existed which would punish such vandalism if reported, which greatly cheered and comforted Mrs. Skinner, who promised herself the pleasure of imparting it to the iconoclasts.
Another instance of wanton destruction occurred at " Bald Eagles," one of the Waring places, and which has its name from the eagles' nests built for generations in the old trees on the plantation. The owner had never allowed them to be disturbed, but when the last proprietor died, some of the more turbulent sort essayed to break the injunction. One of them, in coming down from the tree, after the total destruction of the nest, fell and broke his enterprising neck. Another of the band was murdered by one of his boon companions not long afterward.
We left Mrs. Skinner at her home, then turned back to the Three Notch road, waving our appreciation and adieux to Mr. Baden. We drove into Woodville, and found our way to Mr. Macpherson's, where we passed by far the most comfortable night of our pilgrimage. There were, at one time, two burial grounds on this plantation, which embraces parts of the old colonial grants of Brooke Court Manor and Joseph and Mary. All traces of these graves have passed away, and the impression on the minds of the present owners was that the bodies of the early proprietors were removed to Bryantown. On the bluff, overlooking the Patuxent, they find even at this late day, traces of the aboriginal lords of the soil in flint arrow heads and sharks' teeth. There are many interesting traditions connected with the old manor house now torn down, dating back to the Digges, the Craycrofts and the Hoxtons.
Our next search was for reference and credentials as to our " Colonial" governor, and Mrs. John Compton, a daughter of the late Judge Key, had been named to us as having all the information we needed on this point. We found Mrs. Compton and her sister-in-law, Miss Compton, most hospitable and kind, but alas! no tiding of our official. We consoled ourselves, through the opportunity afforded by Miss Compton, of examining a very full and complete family record, contained in a quaint old Bible.
This fortunate find took up the parable of the Greenfields where the gravestones left off, containing entries of Wilkinsons, Trumans, Greenfields, Addisons, Smiths and others. Unfortunately, it was most illegible in some places, but Miss Compton's knowledge of family history helped us greatly.
The Burnt House farm was our next objective point. We followed our instructions minutely, with the result that after we had inquired for Robert Lyon's stable, traveled up one hill and down another, we found a cabin which stood on what looked like a primitive clearing, but where the owner was very civil, and showed us two outhouses, near the smallest of which was our goal. We had to toil for it though, but when we had driven up the cross-road, taken down some bars, traversed a plowed field and moved a harrow out of our path, and had climbed to the top of a steep slope, there was one of the most beautiful specimens of all that we had found.
Strange to relate, the very name is unknown and no one seems ever to have heard of Mr. Randolph Morris, or Elizabeth, his wife! We looked in vain for the other tombs, which Mr. Joy told us we should surely find in the same place. A huge compost pile occupied the whole remaining space, and effectually checked any investigation in this direction. The farm belonged to Mr. Nicholson, and is now owned by Mr. Frank Hill. The inscription reads:
Here lyeth interred the Body of Randolph Morris, born March the xv, . . . Married Elizabeth his wife September the XIV A.D. M. D. C. C. XXI, who departed ys life Sept the XXII M.D.C.C. XXXVH Aged XLI years.
As we drove away we met a colored man from Hughes- ville, who was very positive as to the existence of two other graves, one of these being that of Anthony Crabbe. He promised to investigate when the compost pile should have been removed.
Oldfields chapel was our next halt. We accomplished little or nothing here, except a rest under the trees, the only antique features to be found on the premises. The oldest inscription was that of James Kane.
Here lieth the Remains of James Kane Native of the Waterside of Londonderry, Ireland, who departed this life March 26 1805 Aged 22 years. In Memory of Mable Hunter aged 1 year 1837.
There are Contees, Hunters, Goldsmiths and Swanns buried here, but all after the year 1850.
We reached Hughesville in the early afternoon, and revived at a glimpse of Joy, who with Mr. Harrison and a venerable gentleman, whose luxuriant beard was plaited and tied in a queue, directed us to Bryantown.
We needed all the aid we could get, as we were growing weary and our terminus seemed to recede before us. When St. Mary's Catholic Church was reached it seemed to rise right up out of the trees. It is a modern building, and the older graves are not now to be distinguished. The parish priest was, fortunately for us, at the church, and was much interested in our researches. We had so universally found the fathers foreign ecclesiastics, and this one had so much the air of an Italian, that it was a delightful surprise to find that he was a son of Bishop Southgate, and had been once an assistant at St. Luke's, Baltimore. He not only helped us to find the oldest inscription extant, but he sent us afterward a list of the departed from his parish register.
From Hughesville we drove to Charlotte Hall. It was getting to be twilight, very chilly, and, with as little delay as possible, we made terms with one of the landladies of the place.
Late as it was, we determined to go over to the rectory in order to get our plans for the morrow all laid to the best advantage. After driving through fields where we had no business at all, we found that we were on the wrong trail, and had entered the grounds of one, Mr. Smoot. We made as dignified a retreat as was possible, and, taking another turn, came suddenly round a corner into one of the loveliest of leafy lanes, so leafy, that only one carriage at a time could pass, and at the end of this verdant tunnel we came upon the venerable old parsonage, upon its surrounding glebe land. It is positively hoary and by far the most typical of all the colonial houses that we saw. The Reverend Mr. London met us and took us to the glebe graveyard.
On the glebe of Trinity parish is a stone with this inscription:
Erected by the members of Trinity Parish to their Late Rector the Rev. James D. Nicholson Died Aug. 30th 1838 in the 30th year of his age. The deceased was remarkable for great simplicity of character, deep humility and unerring zeal in the service of his Master. Endowed by nature with a lovely imagination and rich poetic fancy, his preaching abounded with appropriate and original illustration. Whilst it delighted the mind it improved the heart. His ashes mingle here with their kindred dust. He will long survive in the affection of his grateful people.
Also, we find the following :
Anna Eliza Nicholson wife of Addison Daugherty of the City of New York Died in Woodville Prince George County April 19th 1849 Aged 56. Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord.
Here lies interred The body of John Reynolds Son of the Rev. John Reynolds and Ann his wife who departed this life Nov. 9, 1824, aged 2 years and 6 months. Also interred at the Plains of Plenty.
Inclosed by an iron railing placed there of late years by the Kirk family, are stones with the following inscriptions:
In memory of Ann Matthews who departed this life July 9, 1825 Aged 64 years 2 months and 5 days.
In Memory of Elias Matthews Who died on the 30th day of Dec. 1812 in the 45 year of his age.
In Memory of Alex Matthews, who died at the White Sulphur Springs on the 5th day of Sept 1847 in the 55th year of his age. Although far from home at the time of his decease His last request was that his remains might be laid by his relatives and friends at the family burying place in his native parish and in Pursuance of his wish they have been removed and are here deposited.
Elizabeth B. Matthews who departed this life 28th day of Sept 1851 Aged 61 years. Professing an humble belief In the Religion of her Savior.
The next morning we examined the Dent Memorial Chapel, and, returning to the glebe, wound up with the registers of Trinity parish, going back to 1750. We had a most interesting search therein, and endeavored to get them started to the Maryland Historical Rooms to be copied. It seems difficult to realize that Charlotte Hall was once so famous a place of resort, that the Colonial Government passed an act to "purchase lands adjoining to the Fountain of Healing Waters, called the Cool-Springs, Viz: in St. Mary's County, for building Houses, &c. for the Entertainment of such poor impotent Persons as should repair thither for Cure."
The " Fountains of Healing Waters " still flow on, undisturbed by the changes and chances of the two hundred odd years that have intervened, but little else is left save the humane law, which records the paternal care of those in authority, for the needy and indigent.
The school at Charlotte Hall was founded in 1796, and perhaps the brightest spot in the landscape is made by the cadets at their sports through the grounds, around the venerable old building, the first erected on the campus, over a century ago.
The Dent Memorial Chapel, of brown stone, has gathered the bodies of all the members of the family, from Oak Hill, Georgetown and other burial places, and mural tablets are erected, few of which have yet been filled. The inscriptions at Dent Memorial Chapel have been given in another chapter.
Returning to Charlotte Hall, we turned our team homeward, feeling that our interesting trip had enabled us to add much to the archives of the society.
Among other graveyards in Prince George's county is the Methodist churchyard on the northern outskirts of Laurel. The tombstones prior to 1850 are as follows:
In Memory of Horace Son of A. Alter Born March 18 1832 Died Sept. 10 1845.
has gone to the land of the blest
From his prison of sorrow and night;
He has snatched immortality's rest
And mantled his spirit in light.
Here lies the body of Harriet Ann Vincent, who was born Jan. 29, 1825, and Departed this life Nov. 21, 1847.
up your tears and weep no more.
I am not dead but gone before.
In memory of Albert S. Haslup Died April 21 1849.
Short was my time,
Strong my pain;
To rest in Christ
Is now my gain.
up your years and weep no more,
I am not dead but gone before.
The earliest date to be found in the Episcopal churchyard, is 1851, when Chas. Edward, infant son of Peter and Mary Bogart, was buried, and the earliest in the Roman Catholic cemetery is as follows:
Here lies Patrick Mulgare a native of Limeric Ireland, died in Anne Arundel Co., Md. Sept 7th 1845.
The graveyard at Birmingham, about two miles from Laurel, is on a part of the original tract granted to Richard Snowden, and has never gone out of the family.
Here lies the Body of Richard Snowden Jr. Eldest son of Mr. Richard Snowden Sr. by his second wife Elizabeth, who departed this life the 18th of March 1753 in the 34th year of his Age. He was a Dutiful son, a Tender Husband, a Good Christian and a sincere Friend. This erected by Elizabeth his Widow as a mark of her Affection for him.
Here Lies the Body of Major Thomas Snowden, who departed this Transitory Life on Thursday, the 27th day of October in the year of our Lord 1803. And in the 55th year of his age.
Here lies the Body of Mr. John Crowley, who Departed this life the 2nd of November 1748, Aged 52 years.
Sacred To the Memory of Dr. Gerard Hopkins Snowden who departed this life on the 27th of May 1828. Aged 40 years and 1 month. He was a practical Christian, Kind and affectionate son, Husband and father. As a Magistrate he was just and humane, as a friend and physician he was Charitable and Kind to the poor. When the ear heard him, then it blessed him, and when the eye saw him; it gave witness to him.
Because he delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless and him that had none to help him.
The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon him: and he caused the Widow's heart to sing for joy.
He was a father to the poor; and the cause which he knew not he searched out. Job, 29 Chapter, 11, 12, 13, and 16 verses.
This tribute of respect is erected by his affectionate wife, who feels that she can only cease to mourn her irreparable loss with life.
On a tall white marble shaft is the inscription:
To Louisa V. Capron wife of Horace Capron and daughter of Nicholas and Elizabeth Snowden, born June 3rd 1841 died March 27th 1849.
Richard Snowden of Birmingham, England, the founder of the family in Maryland as early as 1690, is supposed to be buried in this graveyard. The inscription on his tombstone has been obliterated by time, but there is a record of his burial, May 20, 1711. He was captain of provincial forces from 1700 to 1703.
To his son Richard was patented, in 1719, the tract of 10,000 acres, which included the plantations known later as Birmingham, Snowden Hall, Fairland, Montpelier, Oakland, Snow Hill, Avondale, Woodland Hill, Alnwick, Elm- wood, Brightwood and Maple Grove. An account of the family is given in the Thomas book. (Laurence B. Thomas, D.D., 1896.)
" Montpelier" was the home of Thomas, son of Richard, who was born in 1751, died in 1803 and was buried at Birmingham. His third son, Nicholas, was born here October 21, 1786, and died March 8, 1831, and was buried here.
"Oakland" was inhabited by Richard, eldest son of Maj. Thomas Snowden and his wife Ann Ridgely. He and his two wives were buried here, also his son. Thomas, the father of Mrs. Charles Marshall. He died September 3, 1823. It is said that members of the Contee family are also buried in this graveyard. This is probable, as Ann Louise Snowden was married to John Contee and had eight daughters and two sons.
The estate of " Riversdale," District of Bladensburg, was bought by Sieur Henry J. Stier of Antwerp about the year 1794-1795, and given to his daughter Rosalie Eugenia, wife of George Calvert, Esq. After his death, his son, Charles B. Calvert, Esq., owned the estate. It was sold in 1886.
On the east side of the graveyard is the Balto.. & Ohio R. R., on the west side, the Balto. & Washington Turnpike.
In the center of the lot are the tombs of George Calvert and his wife; along the west side, are the graves of their four children, who died in infancy, and on the east side are the tombstones of Charles B. Calvert of Riversdale and his infant son.
On the principal monument is a bas-relief by Persico, representing the mother with outstretched arms, ascending to heaven, where the four angel children are waiting to receive her. The inscription reads as follows:
Here rests the body of Rosalie Eugenia Calvert Wife of George Calvert and Daughter of Henry I Stier of Antwerp, Who died March 13, 1821. Aged 43. May she be numbered among the Children of God and her lot be among the Saints.
At the base of the stone and on the sides are inscribed these lines:
We see the hand we worship and adore And justify the all disposing power.
Death ends our woe And puts a period to the Ills of life.
Let me die the death of the righteous And let my later end be like his.
Here lies the body of George Calvert, Esq. Of Riversdale, youngest son of Benedict Calvert Esq. of Mount Airy, Prince George County Maryland and grandson of Charles Calvert, Sixth* Lord Baltimore, who died January 28th, 1838 Aged 70.
I. van Havre son of C. B. & C. A. Calvert Born Oct. 30th, 1848 Died Aug. 4th, 1849.
In Memory of Charles B. Calvert Born August 28th, 1808 Died May 12th. 1864. Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.
A footstone bears the
C. B. C. Sans peur et sans reproche.
* Error. It should be " fifth."—Editor's Note.
Back to Prince George's Co., Maryland Genealogy Trails
Back to Maryland State Genealogy Trails
ALL CONTENTS COPYRIGHT