Massachusetts Biographies

Page 3

 


FRANK LOVELL OAKES
FRANK L. OAKES was born in Yarmouth, Maine, August 8, 1850, and died in Newton, Massachusetts, January 31, 1912. He was the son of Benjamin Oakes, born September 8, 1819, died August 26, 1900, and Mary Lovell. His paternal grandparents were Nathan Oakes, born 1786, died May 24, 1828, and Jane Larrabee. His mother's parents were Samuel Lovell, born 1781, died August 27, 1829, and Sarah Hobart. His father was a ship-carpenter.
The son began his seafaring career on a schooner from Yarmouth to Portland, Maine, when a lad of fifteen years, and had thirty-four years' experience at sea, twenty-seven of which he was master of vessels. He commanded many famous clipper ships and made voyages to all parts of the world, including the East Indies, China and Japan. He had been a member of the State Pilot Commission since 1908.
He was a member of the Boston Marine, Portland Marine and Providence Marine Societies, Massachusetts Horticultural Society, Casco Blue Lodge of Masons of Yarmouth, and Saint Alban's Commandery, Knights Templar. In his political relations he was al-wayB identified with the Democratic party, and his religious affiliations were with the Unitarian Church.
He was married May 9, 1877, to Frances E., daughter of P. N. and C. S. Blanchard, granddaughter of Sylvanus and Dorcas Blanchard. They had one child who died in infancy.
Mr. Oakes was a sound adviser and efficient director of business affairs. His wise council, discreet and tactful action, sympathetic and helpful advice were of the greatest benefit to the community in which he lived and the church of his allegiance. In a social way his keen sense of humor, kindly interest and real ability made him a valuable addition to the social organizations of which he was a member and his home was freely opened to their meetings. Physically strong and fond of outdoor life he greatly enjoyed games of skill and was a keen competitor in all such sports as he took up.


EUGENE WALTER ONG
EUGENE WALTER ONG was born in Steubenville, Ohio, on the 12th of August, 1877.
His father, Hon. Walter C. Ong, of Cleveland, Ohio, was born November 24, 1848, and is one of the leading members of the Ohio Bar, having commenced the practice of law in Steubenville, Ohio, where he served two terms as Prosecuting Attorney of Jefferson County, and then moved, in 1881, to Cleveland, where he later became Judge of the Court of Common Pleas.
Mr. Ong is the grandson of Moses H. Ong (who was born December 15, 1810, and died May 22, 1890) and Mary (Cain) Ong, and a descendant of Francis Ong who arrived at Boston from England on February 5, 1631, in company with Roger Williams. John Winthrop, the first Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony, in his "History of New England from 1630 to 1649," recorded the arrival at Boston of the progenitor of the Ong family of America in the good ship Lyon which "set sail from Bristol December 1. She had a very tempestuous passage, yet through God's mercy all her people came safe." Francis Ong settled in Watertown. Simon Ong, one of the sons of Francis Ong, signed the petition in 1678 "of the Inhabitants of Cambridge Vil-lage to be granted freedom from Cambridge" on account of excessive taxation. The petition was granted and the new township was later called Newton.
Francis Ong belonged to the sect of Quakers, or more properly Friends, and probably shared to some extent the annoyances and persecution to which in that early time Quakers were subjected by the authorities of the Massachusetts Colony. About 1680 Mr. Ong's ancestors moved to Burlington County, New Jersey, which became a strong Quaker settlement. Later, they moved to Pennsylvania, and from there to Jefferson County, Ohio, which was also settled largely by Quakers and was the birth-place of Mr. Ong's father.
Mr. Ong's mother was Anna Mansfield, the daughter of Samuel Mansfield and Elizabeth (Pumphrey) Mansfield of Smithfield, Ohio. like his paternal ancestors they were both descended from early English colonists.
Eugene W. Ong graduated from the University School of Cleveland in 1896, from Yale College with the degree of A.B. in 1900, and from the Harvard Law School with the degree of LL.B. in 1903.
Mr. Ong's early tastes were for books, especially books on history and politics, and for athletic sports such as boxing and football. While attending the University School he played end on the football team, and was also President of the school debating society, of his class and of the school athletic association. At Yale he continued his interest in debating, and became President of the Yale Freshman Union, of the Sophomore Wigwam, Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Yale Union, and a member of the Yale intercollegiate debating team. In his Senior year he was a member of the Committee which revised the Yale society system. While at Yale, Mr. Ong spent his summer vacations doing newspaper work, having been employed upon the editorial staff of the Cleveland Press.
In estimating the relative strength of the influences which affected his mind and character throughout the formative period of his life, Mr. Ong gives first place to his home, exemplifying the truth that the home is more powerful than anything else in shaping a life. He states that his mother's influence on his intellectual and moral life has been especially strong. Only less than the influence of home has been, in order, the influence of schools, of early companionships, of private study, and of contact with men in active life.
Immediately after his graduation from the law school, Mr. Ong began his professional career by entering the law office of Storey, Thorndike, Palmer and Thayer. This well-known law firm later became the firm of Storey, Thorndike, Palmer and Dodge, of which Mr. Ong is a member. Mr. Ong has specialized in corporation law, and is Assistant General Counsel of the United Fruit Company and acts as counsel for various other corporations. Mr. Ong is a director and member of the Executive Committee of the United Fruit Company, the Nipe Bay Company, and the Revere Sugar Refinery, Secretary and a Director of the Tropical Radio Telegraph Company, Fruit Dispatch Company, Abangarec Gold Fields of Costa Rica, Saetia Sugar Company, M. D. Cressy Company, E. R. Grabow Company, and a Director of the Northern Railway Company, Tela Railroad Company, Truxillo Railroad Company, and various steamship companies.
Mr. Ong is a member of the Tedesco County Club of Swampscott, of which he is Secretary and a Director, Country Club of Brookline, Exchange Club, Algonquin Club, Boston Athletic Association, Yale Club of Boston and the Boston Chamber of Commerce, as well as of the City Mid-day, Whitehall and Yale clubs of New York. He is also a member of the Nisi Prius Club of Boston, of which he was recently President, the Boston Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
In politics, Mr. Ong is a Republican. In religion, although a Methodist, his liberal attitude is reflected by the fact that his father is a Quaker, his mother a Methodist and his wife a Congregationalist.
On the 21st day of October, 1903, Mr. Ong was united in marriage to Miss Bessie W. Preston, daughter of Andrew W. and Frances (Gutterson) Preston, and granddaughter, on the paternal side of Benjamin and Sarah (Poland) Preston, and on the maternal side of Joseph D. and Julia (Barry) Gutterson. Mrs. Ong's father is the President of the United Fruit Company, and through him she is a descendant of William Preston who came from England to Boston in 1679. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ong therefore come from early colonial stock. Three children have been born of this marriage, Andrew Walter, Dorothy Mansfield and Richard Preston Ong, of whom the last two are living. Their winter home is in Longwood, Brookline, and their summer home is at "Dorrich," Phillips Beach, Swampscott.
In response to a request for suggestions as to principles, methods and habits which contribute most to sound ideals in American life, and help most to attain true success, Mr. Ong replied: "Honor, honesty, energy, perseverance and fair dealing. What is worth doing at all is worth doing well, and should be done better than you are expected to do it. Don't try to get ahead by pulling any one else back. Make up your mind as to what is the right thing to do, and then do it."


BAILY LITTLE PAGE
BAILY LITTLE PAGE was born in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, March 3, 1850, and died there March 9, 1912, having spent his life in his native town. He was the son of Joseph W. Page, born in Goffstown, New Hampshire, March 23, 1811, died October 12, 1896, and Martha L. Fitch, born February 5, 1814, died October 20, 1900. His paternal grandparents were Joseph W. Page, born February 2, 1765, died January 20, 1845, and Jane Little, born January 23, 1772, died March 30, 1850. His mother's parents were Amos Fitch, born 1780, died 1824, and Martha L. Starr, born January 20, 1787, died May 30, 1817.
His father was a farmer and dealer in fruit, a man much interested in the local affairs of West Roxbury in which he held many positions of trust. The son received his education in the schools of the community, and at the age of fifteen years entered the employ of Cyrus White as clerk in his hardware store in Jamaica Plain. After eighteen years' experience in the hardware line he went into the real estate business in which he was very successful, and at the time of his death owned and controlled a large amount of real estate in Jamaica Plain, and vicinity.
He was a member of the Central Club and Jamaica Club of Jamaica Plain, the Economic Club of Boston, the Daniel Hersey Lodge of Odd Fellows, a trustee of the Faulkner Hospital, and a director of the West Roxbury Cooperative Bank. He was held in high esteem by all who knew him as a man of strong integrity and business ability, and while not active socially, was always generous toward those in need.
The following are influences named as having been very helpful to his success in life; the home, the school, early companionship, private study and contact with men in active life. He also highly appreciated his parents' influence as an uplift in his intellectual life, and an ennobling example morally and spiritually.
In his political life he was always identified with the Republican party and in his religious life he was affiliated with the Central Congregational Church of Jamaica Plain.
As a form of exercise and relaxation from the round of duty he enjoyed bowling and baseball. In the death of Mr. Page the community lost one of its most useful and valuable citizens. His long and honorable career has left the memory of incorruptible integrity: a quiet dignified and courteous bearing to all whom he met, he was a man upright and true. All who knew him respected him and are grateful for such an example, and are glad to cherish such a memory as he has bequeathed.
To whatever cause needed his assistance, Mr. Page gave his intelligent and loyal services. His aims were high and he reached them. For every one he had a kind word.
Loyal to home, to town, to State, he lived a grand and beautiful life and his name will be cherished always by all who had the honor of his friendship.
His office was a meeting place for friends, where many gathered to share his friendship and to enjoy his dry wit and wisdom. Unique in thought and expression, his office was sought by large numbers of people, who delighted to share his spirit.


CHARLES DANA PALMER
CHARLES DANA PALMER was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, November 25, 1845, and died at his home in Lowell, Massachusetts, September 25, 1909. He was the son of George Wall Palmer (1814-1881), and Ellen Hannah (Jackson) Palmer. His father, the son of George Palmer (1781-1817), and Eliza Wall, was a member of the firm of Jenks and Palmer, publishers of Boston. His maternal grandparents were John Jackson (1776-1837), and Hannah Finney. His grandfather, George Palmer, came from Kelso, Scotland, to Philadelphia in 1800, and an earlier maternal ancestor, Edward Jackson, came from London to Newton, Massachusetts, in 1641. One of his distinguished ancestors was Colonel Aaron Davis of Roxbury who died in 1777 and another was Lieut. Col. Ephraim Jackson who died in that fateful winter at Valley Forge.
Mr. Palmer's career was that of a cultivated, successful man of affairs, confirming the value of character and education to a man of wide public and private activities. At the age of ten he entered the Dwight School in Boston, from which he passed to the Boston Latin School. Entering Harvard College he graduated from that institution in 1868 with the degree of A.B. and in 1870 received the degree of A.M.
On leaving college he entered the service of the Washington Mills Company, in Lawrence, Massachusetts, for the purpose of becoming familiar with the processes of manufacturing. In 1869 he was appointed by one of the United States Commissioners to the Paris Exposition to the service of collecting statistics relating to the wool industry in Canada.
He then made his residence in Lowell and became one of the heads of the Woolen Manufacturing Company of North Chelmsford, Massachusetts, in partnership with Thomas H. Cray of Walpole, and John Pendergrast of Lawrence.
In 1888 Mr. Palmer was elected to the Mayoralty of Lowell, and filled that office for three successive years. The duties of the mayoralty were discharged by him with a rare devotion to duty, promptness of action and a correctness of judgment that gave him a high rank among men distinguished for executive ability. From 1895 to the time of his death, he was a member of the Massachusetts State Board of Conciliation and Arbitration, having been appointed to that office by Governor Greenhalge.
He was a member of various undergraduate clubs at Harvard; a member of the American Unitarian Association, of the Massachusetts Society of Colonial Wars, of the National Trotting Association, and of the Massachusetts Sons of the Revolution. Politically he belonged to the Republican party and took an active part at all times in public affairs, political, social and industrial. In his church affiliations he was a Unitarian.
May 20, 1880, he married in Lowell, Rowena, the daughter of Fisher Ames Hildreth and Lauretta (Coburn) Hildreth; granddaughter of Dr. Israel Hildreth and Dolly (Jones) Hildreth, and of Ephraim Coburn and Hannah (Varnum) Coburn. This family of Hildreths were descendants from Richard Hildreth who came from England to Cambridge previous to 1640. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Palmer: Elinor (Mrs. Alexander B. Magruder); Jackson, an attorney in Lowell, and Dana who is a Lieutenant in the United States Army, stationed at the U. S. Aviation School, San Diego, California.
Massachusetts mourns the loss of another of her old and respected citizens in the death of Charles Dana Palmer. He exhibited that fine type of character which embodies the old-fashioned virtues of New England; a true friend and good neighbor, he being widely beloved and respected. His love for animals was characteristic; of horses he was an excellent judge and kept a number of them. His death was the occasion of many tributes of praise, affection and respect from all who knew him.


FRANKLIN PERRIN
FRANKLIN PERRIN was born in Boston, August 9, 1830, and died on February 23, 1914. He was the direct descendant of John Perrin, who came from England on the ship Safety in 1635 and settled in Braintree. On his mother's side he was descended from Benjamin Child who came from England to Roxbury in 1630. His father, Augustus Perrin, who died in 1844, at the age of sixty-seven, was a merchant-importer and was distinguished for his integrity, perseverance and generosity. His mother, whose name before her marriage was Harriet Child (1793-1846), exercised a salutary influence on the moral and spiritual character of her family, and the testimony of neighbors agreed as to the regularity with which she, accompanied by her six sons and one daughter, was seen every Sunday wending her way to Doctor Putnam's church.
As a boy, and throughout his life, Franklin Perrin was fond of reading biography and history. He was an admirable French scholar; so correct was his accent that he was frequently taken for a Frenchman. He attended the Boston schools and was graduated from the High School in 1847. He then became a clerk in the employ of Bates & Company, and Bates and Thaxter and made voyages in their ships as supercargo. Later he regretted not having taken the opportunity of going to college but as he was the youngest son of the family he was led by his brothers' example to enter on a business career.
Soon after attaining his majority he became the Senior partner in the firm of Perrin and Gilbert in the shipping trade to the East Indies. In the "Chart of the Private Signals of the Merchants of Boston," published in 1854, his flag appears, and he survived by more than ten years all the other ship-owners represented in it.
Later he formed a partnership with David C. Perrin in the weaving of palm-leaf with cotton warp. His inventive faculty- was brought out by the necessities of this business and he patented a loom for weaving palm-leaf as well as several other minor contrivances which proved useful. This business lasted until the im-portation of palm-leaf from Cuba came to an end. He was Treasurer of the Cambridge Horse Railway until it was absorbed by the West End Company and from 1889 to 1910 he was Manager of the Cambridge Safety Vaults.
On his retirement it was written of him: "Mr. Franklin Perrin of the Cambridge Trust Company, after twenty-one years of service there and many more elsewhere, in the interest of the public, lays off the business harness and seeks a well-earned repose. The public in general take but little note of the beginning, or the ending of a man's business career, but it is profitable as an enduring example, to have the places where men are brought into close contact with the public, filled by those whose efficiency is supplemented by courtesy, intelligence, and affability, added to these and above these, the element of unblemished integrity should take precedence. Mr. Perrin will leave in these essentials, a finer legacy than if he had accumulated a vast fortune. The community will long remember him and he will carry into his retirement the fine aroma of gracious example in all those traits worthy of remembrance."
Mr. Perrin's integrity and business ability were recognized by the city where he lived so long. From 1880 until 1885 he was City Auditor of Cambridge and for ten years was Treasurer of the Homes for Aged People and for twenty years was Director of the same charity. He was also Trustee and Auditor of the Cambridge Savings Bank for twenty-seven and twenty-eight years respectively.
During the Civil War he served in the Twelfth Regiment, unattached, under General Walcott In his leisure time he compiled a Comprehensive Chart of the English Sovereigns which proved useful in schools and elicited from Queen Victoria a grateful acknowledgment He also wrote a number of stories for the Youth's Companion and papers for the Cambridge Historical Society, to which he belonged. He prepared a handbook of American Trees and Shrubs. He was fond of horse-back riding, of sailing, rowing and walking. In drawing his ability was exceptional.
He was a life member of the American Unitarian Association and of the Cambridge Unitarian Club. In politics he was an active and consistent Republican. He was for years Deacon in the Unitarian Church and took a leading part in all its activities, setting a remarkable example of regularity, promptness and zeal. He was greatly beloved because of his kindliness, generosity and unselfishness.
Shortly before his death, he felt compelled to resign as Deacon and Treasurer of the church. At a regular meeting of the Parish, President Charles W. Eliot prepared the following resolution:
"Voted that Mr. Perrin's resignation be accepted in accordance with his wish.
"Voted that this meeting desires to put on record its high appreciation of the faithful and willing service which Mr. Franklin Perrin has for many years given the church as Treasurer and as Deacon, and to express the hearty respect and affection which all its members feel for him."
After his death, Professor Francis G. Peabody wrote a brief notice of the loss which the community had suffered, as follows:
"The conspicuous achievement of public men should not altogether obscure the influence of quiet unassuming lives on whose integrity and fidelity each community depends. Franklin Perrin, who died on February 23, at the age of eighty-three, was for a half century such an influence in Cambridge. He served his city and his church with modest devotion and incorruptible honor. He won the absolute confidence of his business colleagues and the life-long affection of his many friends. His daily life was consistent with his religious faith. He guarded his business trusts as he served the Lord's table. The things which were true, honest, just, pure and lovely, were his daily thought. He was a cheerful, kindly Christian gentleman, living without reproach, and dying without an enemy."
At the first communion of the church after Mr. Perrin's death, the Minister, the Reverend Samuel M. Crothers, thus expressed the feeling of the church :
"In this service we come as a little group of friends, and we feel that what binds us together is the sense of the family, the sense of sharing the same meals and asking for the same food. I think each one of us to-day feels the sanctifying presence of one, who for so many years has been associated in this church with this communion service.
"Franklin Perrin we thought of as particularly our own; as standing for those things which unite the generations. And we think of that ideal that Paul gives us of the heart of love. It seeketh not its own ; it is not puffed up ; it doth not behave itself unseemly ; it suffereth long and is kind. Yet out of it come overflowing trust in the Eternal goodness and continuous hope. Other things do their work and pass away and are forgotten. This abides forever.
"To many of us, this service became more sacred for associating it with him and with his life. To-day, thinking of those who are gone, we think also of one who has ministered here in this service of communion, whose memory will remain always sacred, connected with this church and this fellowship."
Mr. Perrin was married in 1855 to Louisa, the daughter of the Rev. Nathaniel Gage and Abby Richardson Gardner, a descendant of Thomas Gardner who came to Brookline in the ship Safety, early in the seventeenth century. They had one son, Arthur Perrin.


WILLIAM JOHN QUINN
When, on January 18, 1909, William John Quinn of Roxbury died, the community lost a loyal friend, a fond father, a devoted husband, a good citizen, a generous helper to the needy, a staunch defender of the rights of the toiler and an ardent sympathizer with every movement making for the uplift of humanity. Though occupying a position more or less retired, this man of sterling character by his energy, by his qualities of heart and of mind, and by his broad helpfulness influenced for good the large numbers of men and women who had been brought into contact with him.
He was born in the city of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on September 8, 1835. His father was Patrick Quinn, formerly of County Waterford, Ireland, and his mother, Julia Cotter Quinn, daughter of Thomas Cotter of County Cork, Ireland. Both parents were possessed of strong minds and of irreproachable morals and they determined to give the boy a sound and practical education. He was, accordingly, sent to the excellent school attached to St. Mary's Cathedral, Halifax, where he displayed from the start that unflagging earnestness and that generous disposition which were to be marked traits in his after life.
At fifteen years of age, his parents decided to start the lad on his career in life and he was accordingly placed in the printing establishment of the Halifax Morning Chronicle. A quiet, studious boy, intensely fond of reading, William John Quinn found the art of printing so much to his liking that he soon established a reputation for himself as a skilled craftsman. Greatly desirous of improving himself, he read and re-read the plays of Shakespeare and the works of Charles Dickens and of Gerald Griffin.
Halifax proved too limited a field for the energies of this active young man and so he turned to Boston, where wider opportunities were afforded him, on the Post and Herald. For over thirty years he was Superintendent of the composing room of the Herald, enjoying the close friendship of the proprietors and editors. He soon became a recognized leader in his trade, and when it was thought wise for the printers to form a permanent organization, William John Quinn naturally became one of the twelve charter members.
He was loyal to home and friends; a patriotic citizen of high ideals and generous character, and a business man of great ability, faithful to every trust.


JOSEPH EVERETT REYNOLDS
JOSEPH EVERETT REYNOLDS was born in Nashua, New Hampshire, February 23, 1854. His father was Eli Whitney Reynolds, a carpenter and builder, who was born in 1825 and died in 1909. The elder Reynolds was fitted for college but never entered. He, however, kept up his proficiency in classic studies and was a fine Latin and Greek scholar. The mother was Sophronia Adelaide Scott. On the paternal side Mr. Reynolds is descended from James Reynolds of England, who settled in North Kingston, Rhode Island, about 1634. On the maternal side he has a Scotch ancestry, which came to Peterboro, New Hampshire. Several of the later ancestors on the Scott side served in the Revolutionary Army.
Mr. Reynolds lost his mother at the age of nine years. From that time until the age of thirteen, he helped about the affaire of the home and contributed to the family expenses. Though fond of studies and of reading he encountered many difficulties in acquiring a common school education, but he supplemented it by reading books of history and other works of practical value. He attended the Bryant and Stratton Commercial College in Boston and then started in the active work of life.
In 1871 he entered a straw hat manufactory in Holliston, Massachusetts, as a packing and shipping clerk. He subsequently, in a short time became head of the department. He soon engaged in the manufacture of straw hats, and for thirty years was prominent among the manufacturers of these goods in New England. He was interested in factories in Holliston in 1871-73 with the firm of D. C. Mowry and Company, in Wrentham, from 1874 to 1876 with W. E. George and Company, in Westboro, from 1877-85 with the firm of H. O. Bernard and Company, in Stamford, Connecticut, from 1886 to 1892, with Smart, Patterson and Rice, and in West Upton, Massachusetts, in 1898-99 with William Knowlton and Sons.
Mr. Reynolds retired in 1900 and has since resided at South Monson, Massachusetts, in the old Reynolds' homestead, a handsome and spacious residence erected by his grandfather, Joseph Langford Reynolds. There in this grand old mansion, in the midst of the beautiful rural scenery of that section of the country, he passes his days in the out-door life about the home place with the diversions of reading, music and the social pleasures of the New England home.
He is a director of the Monson National Bank. He is a member of the Hockomocko Lodge of Odd Fellows of Westboro, of which lodge he has been secretary, and of the Siloam Lodge of Masons, of Westboro.
In politics he is a Republican and has always stood by the principles of that party. He attends the Congregational Church.
July 24, 1876, Mr. Reynolds was married to Sarah Isadora Rixford, of Holliston, the daughter of George L. and Elizabeth S. Rixford and a descendant of the Cook family, also came from England.
Of two children, one is living, Mrs. Vivian Seymour.
In all the functions of a citizen retired from the activities of a useful business career, in an ancestral home of special attractions, Mr. Reynolds maintains the best traditions of New England country life.


CHARLES MAY ROBBINS
CHARLES MAY ROBBINS is an example of the self-made man who against adverse circumstances in youth, by industry and native force and ability has attained a good position in the world and independence in the material resources of life.
He was born in East Harwich, Massachusetts, May 1, 1856. He comes from the sturdy Cape Cod stock through whose heritage so many men have reached eminence in the various walks of life.
His father was Nathaniel Robbins, who was born October 17, 1822, and died August 14, 1885. He was a dentist and possessed considerable mechanical skill with strength of character and intellect. The ancestors came from England and Scotland, and were among the first settlers of Dorchester. Later some of the ancestors served with distinction in the Revolutionary War. His mother was Lydia D. Williams.
His youth was passed in the hard and rather irksome service of the country boy of all work, doing the chores for which he had no particular liking, though they taught him the practical side of life.
He acknowledges that he had no love for manual labor but had a love for books which, however, he could not adequately gratify in a school education. He attended the common schools of his town until sixteen and then followed the sea for two years. At the end of that service he went to Attleboro and took a position in a jewelry factory as press boy.
After serving five years as a bench hand and journeyman jeweler, his ambition and foresight prompted him to start out in the field as a traveling salesman, making trips into the far west and finally taking charge of the New York office of one of the jewelry manufacturers of Attleboro. After an experience of nine years in this line of business he returned to Attleboro and entered into business on his own account under the firm name of Mason & Robbins. On the dissolution of this partnership in 1896 he started business alone in the manufacture of silverware in Attleboro. He was eminently successful in this business operation and built a large and lucrative business. In 1900 his manufacturing enterprise was incorporated as the Charles M. Robbins Company, of which he was President and Treasurer. This business is still in operation, though Mr. Robbins withdrew from it in 1910, and retired to private life.
In 1911 he organized the Attleboro Trust Co. with a capital of $100,000 and is its president. He also organized the Attleboro Civic League and was its president. For five years he was president of the Park Commission of Attleboro. As a public spirited citizen he has always been identified with public affairs in the way of encouraging and supporting what was for the common welfare, but has not aspired to or sought public office.
In politics he is a Republican, but in the days of President Cleveland's first nomination supported him for election, but soon after rejoined his old political affiliations. In 1910 he was strongly urged to enter the campaign for the nomination as Member of Congress from the 14th District but he did not allow the use of his name.
He has been active in Masonry belonging to nearly all the Masonic bodies excepting those of the Scottish Bites.
He is a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery and of the Sons of the American Revolution; has been president of the Company ? Association; is a member of the Boston City Club; Real Estate Exchange and many other associations of social and business character.
He has taken an interest in the study of Ancient Hindu Philosophy and the theories of Buddhism.
In reading, of which Mr. Robbins is very fond, he acknowledges the influence of the Bible and Shakespeare, those resourceful wells of the best English and of masterful thought. History and the poets are also favorite reading matter which has been helpful to him, both for the profit of knowledge and the pleasure of relaxation.
Mr. Bobbins is much interested in the Atlantic Deeper Waterways work and in 1910 attended the convention for the promotion of this great work at Providence as a representative of Gov. Draper and of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In the discussion he spoke forcibly for the utility of this enterprise.
Since his retirement from active business life, he has taken up his residence in his old town of West Harwick, where he has a fine estate, "Robin's Nest," on Herring River and the Sound.
He is fond of hunting, fishing, boating and the entertainment of his family and friends.
Mr. Robbing was married in 1885 to Miss Lucie ?. Pratt. Two children were born to them - Lawrence Brigham, a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Chester, who is attending Cornell University.
His first wife dying in 1906, Mr. Bobbins married Miss Minnie A. Swint of Winthrop, Massachusetts, in 1908. One child, Dorothy, born December 3, 1910, has blessed this union.
Mr. Robbins is a man of genial disposition and strong principles, independent in religion, political and social life - a representative citizen in all ways. His advice to young people is : "In religion, social, and political life think for yourself and work out your own salvation."
Mr. Robbins regards the influence of private study and contact with men in active life, very strong upon his own success. The life and work of Mr. Robbins is an inspiration for the youth of to-day. Fortunate is the city and state that can claim such a man as a citizen.


HENRY STURGIS RUSSELL
HENRY STURGIS RUSSELL was born at Savin Hill, Massachusetts, June 21, 1838, and died at his home in Milton, February 16, 1905. He was the son of George Robert Russell and Sarah Parkman Shaw. His father, who was a merchant, was born in 1800 and died in 1866. His grandfather was Jonathan Russell and his grandmothers were Sylvia Amidon and Eliza Parkman. His father, who was a successful business man, was noted for his great force of character and wide humanity.
During Mr. Russell's childhood days he was fond of life in the country and showed a love for horses which amounted almost to a passion. He was not a child who preferred to be by himself but loved companionship and had many friends. In the training of his moral and spiritual life the influence of his mother made itself strongly felt. He, equally with his father, had no difficulties to overcome in the acquirement of an education, and after receiving his preliminary education at Mr. Epes Dixwell's school, he entered Harvard College from which institution he graduated.
He entered the employ of Mr. William Perkins when a young man and remained there for four years. When the Civil War broke out he enlisted as one of the first volunteers and served for four years. For a time he was with the J. M. Forbes & Company and later became a farmer and stock raiser. For six years he was a selectman of Milton ; for two years a member of the Police Commission of Boston from 1878 to 1879 and for ten years - 1895 to 1905 - was a fire commissioner for the city of Boston, serving in that capacity until his death. He was President of the Homeopathic Hospital, trustee of the Westford Insane Asylum and of the Perkins Institute for the Blind and held similar offices in many other institutions. He served in the Civil War from April, 1861, to February, 1865, beginning as First Lieutenant in the Massachusetts Second Infantry. He was made Captain a little later and then Colonel of the Fifth Colored Cavalry. He was breveted as Brigadier-General for distinguished conduct during- the Battle of Petersburg, in June, 1864.
He was a member of the Officers' Club, the Loyal Legion, the Somerset Agricultural Club, the Winter's Night Club, Country Club, Hoosic Whisek Club, Milton Club, and was President of the last three organizations.
In politics Mr. Russell was a Republican. On only one occasion did he vote for other than a Republican nominee. That was in 1884 when he voted for Grover Cleveland.
Mr. Russell was a member of the Unitarian Church.
The fondness for horses which was developed in Mr. Russell during his childhood days never flagged and riding and walking constituted his favorite forms of recreation.
On May 6, 1863, he married Mary Hathaway, daughter of John Murray and Sarah (Swain) Forbes, granddaughter of Ralph Bennett and Margaret (Perkins) Forbes and of Stephen and Lydia Hathaway. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Russell, James Savage (in the real estate business), Ellen Forbes, Mary Forbes, Howland Shaw, Anna Russell, all of whom are married.
Mrs. Russell caused to be erected at the junction of Canton Avenue and White Street, Milton, a beautiful drinking fountain for man and beast, made of fine white granite with troughs for horses and dogs, and it completes one of the prettiest squares of the town and proves a blessing to all passing that way. Mrs. Russell presented this fountain to the town of Milton in memory of Colonel Russell and it was quietly dedicated.


WILLIAM HENRY SAART
WILLIAM HENRY SAART is an example of the young man, born in a foreign country, who comes to America with a determination to carve out an honorable career in life, to take advantage of opportunities and by energy, tact and good judgment to succeed in what he undertakes.
He was born in Lindenthal, Germany, September 12, 1866. His father was Frank A. Saart, a jewelry worker and bookkeeper. He was born in 1838 and died in 1908. His mother was Mary Hansen.
In 1881 after coming to America he went into a jewelry establishment in Attleboro as an errand boy. He had inherited an inclination for the business from the occupation of his father and his own aptitude. Advancing in skill and proficiency by industry and natural abilities he attained the position of foreman in a manufactory and from 1894 to 1904 was employed in that capacity for the James E. Blake Company and the Bristol Manufacturing Company of Attleboro. He showed his inventive faculties in getting out several design patents on silverware and jewelry, and evinced a practical and progressive spirit and knowledge in all the details of manufacture.
In 1904 he formed the W. H. Saart Company for the manufacture of silver novelties. At first he conducted the business alone, but successful operations and increasing trade made it necessary to increase the capital of the concern and to take in other partners for the enlargement of the business, and for the sake of cooperation in the management of the affairs of the company.
In 1911, it was found necessary to enlarge the space and another factory was purchased. With new facilities and the good name of the company the business is fast developing into one of the leading factories in silver novelties. The number of employees has grown into the hundreds and the weekly pay roll is thousands of dollars. There is a fine organization among the employers effected through the superintendent who is a brother of Mr. Saart and himself an expert silversmith.
Mr. Saart has the general management of the business and is the soul and inspiration of the company. The business now extends over the country with agencies in New York, the West, and on the Pacific Coast. In April, 1914, Mr. Saart purchased the interest of his partners and is now the principal owner of the W. H. Saart Company.
For recreation Mr. Saart is fond of golf and rowing. He is a Republican in politics. He belongs to the Masons, Elks and Knights of Pythias. He is interested in music and has been President of the German Singing Society in North Attleboro.
He believes in outdoor life as much as possible and in the learning of some trade early in life. He also believes that contact with men in active life has had a strong influence upon his own success.
On February 5, 1885, Mr. Saart was married to Emma Dietz by whom he has one child, a daughter, Anna M. On the death of this wife he married in 1888 Carrie L. Schleroigt. They have no children.
In 1910 Mr. Saart purchased forty acres of land on the shore of Lake Mirimichi, Foxboro, Massachusetts, where he started to establish a poultry business, breeding S. C. R. I. Reds and White Plymouth Rocks of the highest quality. He entered the Show Room in 1912 and his birds have been recognized as the finest in the country. He has been awarded many prizes at the shows in Boston, Providence, New York, Brockton and Attleboro, and has won a large majority of the blue ribbons, gold specials and prize cups.
Mr. Saart has on his farm 2500 head of poultry, old and young, with incubator capacity for hatching over ten thousand eggs. Mr. Saart believes there are great possibilities in Poultry raising on strictly business principles. Mr. Saart lives at the Farm six months in the year, which gives him great recreation. In addition to the poultry he has a large herd of thoroughbred Holstein cattle.
Mr. Saart has taken high rank among American manufacturers as a man of varied knowledge, large experience and solid attainments. His personal and intimate acquaintance with men of affairs is very extensive. He is one of the valuable citizens of the Commonwealth.


GEORGE SAMPSON
GEORGE SAMPSON was born in Plymouth, Massachusetts, May 28, 1825. He was the seventh in descent from Henry Sampson, one of the Pilgrims who came in the Mayflower in 1620, who married Ann Plummer in 1636 and settled in Duxbury, Massachusetts. Stephen Hopkins and Francis Cooke, also of the Mayflower, were ancestors on the maternal side. His father, Isaac Sampson, was a resident of Plymouth where he was a thrifty merchant, respected for his integrity and exemplary life. Isaac Sampson was the son of Benjamin and Priscilla (Churchill) Sampson, was born in Plymouth in 1789, and married in 1822, Elizabeth, daughter of William Sherman of that town. His children were Elizabeth, born in 1824, who married John Kneeland, a native of Plymouth, who was for many years one of the supervisors of public schools in Boston; George, the subject of this sketch, and Isaac, who was born in 1830. Mr. Isaac Sampson died at Plymouth, December 11, 1833.
George Sampson spent his boyhood and youth in the old historic town of his nativity where his education included several years in the High School. As a boy he possessed fine tastes and good habits. His modest demeanor, frank and earnest countenance, betokened a lad who was consciously laying the foundation of a life of unusual effort. While at school he never gave the teacher an occasion to reprimand him for misconduct, for he was always obedient to the requirements of the school, prompt in his lessons and truthful in word. He employed time as a precious gift not to be wasted in trivial matters, even very little in games. He was ever kind to his mates and respectful to his elders. These traits of the boy were doubtless due to inherent qualities of mind, reenforced by the instruction of a pious and devoted mother.
Having stored his mind with the rudiments of knowledge, he began active life as a clerk in a Plymouth store, and a little later became a clerk in the drygoods store of A. A. Andrews & Co., of Boston. In 1847 he engaged service with George Adams, publisher of the Boston Directory, which had been commenced during the previous year. The first volumes of the venture contained 26,488 names, besides some three hundred of colored people. Mr. Sampson began his service as a canvasser for the Directory, but he displayed such faithfulness and accuracy in the performance of the work assigned him, that he was soon promoted to the position of arranging the material for the press. This work demanded the uttermost care in every detail and Mr. Sampson met every requirement. After ten years of studious devotion in his position, Mr. Sampson's continuance in the business seemed so necessary that he was admitted as a partner, with the firm name of Adams, Sampson & Company.
Mr. Adams retired from business in 1865, leaving the Directory firmly established and having realized large profits from the publication. In the following year, Mr. Sampson allied himself with 0. H. Davenport and the firm became Sampson, Davenport & Company, with Mr. Sampson as chief director of the business. Mr. Davenport retired in 1882 and in 1885 William E. Murdock and Charles De Witt Marcy became partners with Mr. Sampson and the new firm was known as Sampson, Murdock & Company, with Mr. Sampson still holding the position as chief administrator of its affairs. Mr. Sampson proved equal to the demands of Greater Boston and added improvements to the Directory as needed in many ways, while Directories of many other cities were started by the firm. At Mr. Sampson's death, in 1896, the business had assumed great importance, while the Boston Directory contained 229,829 names with a Street Directory and other features of great value, indispensable to all concerned.
The New England Business Directory was commenced in 1856 by the firm with which Mr. Sampson was connected, and is still continued with success. It is issued biennially, requiring a great number of experienced persons to gather the varied and necessary material needed for such a voluminous publication.
The Directory business founded by Mr. Adams and carried forward by Mr. Sampson will ever continue as a grand reminder of their wise foresight and business enterprise.
The location of the publishing office of the Boston Directory began by Mr. Adams at 91 Washington Street, Boston, has been changed time and again because of fires and other causes. It is now located on Franklin Street, in a building erected by Sampson, Davenport & Company in 1875.
Having accumulated a large fortune, Mr. Sampson considered that he had well earned the privilege of retiring in some degree at least, from the cares of his large business affairs, and allow his associates to chiefly assume the burdens in his stead. So during the last fifteen years of his life, he largely devoted his time to the enjoyment of his cultured tastes, and in the indulgence of the generous impulses of his benevolent nature in doing good to others less fortunate than himself.
He had long cherished a desire for foreign travel, and now, having ample leisure, he devoted two years in gratifying the wish and visited the most desirable portions of Europe including Egypt and the Holy Land.
Returning home he devoted much of his leisure in ministering to the needs of others; wherever he found suffering or poverty.
Thus blessing and being blessed, his waning years glided kindly down the western slope towards life 's sunset till the night came and his gentle spirit passed on to its reward, having lived to make the world better and many a soul happier. As a further proof of the kindness of his heart, he devised in his will that the sum of $5,000 should be divided among his former employees according to the date of their service.
George Sampson was married, June 19, 1855, to Rebecca Francis, daughter of Henry Abbott and Rebecca (Francis) Hovey of Boston. Mrs. Sampson died May 24, 1915. "While he called Roxbury his home, he frequently spent his winters in Boston, where he died January 30, 1896.


GEORGE PARMENTER SMITH
GEORGE PARMENTER SMITH was born in Sunderland, Massachusetts, on November 25, 1858, and has always lived in that town. He is the son of Rufus and Ophelia (Parmenter) Smith. His ancestry was of the sturdy farming stock of New England, transmitting from generation to generation the public spirit and sturdy religious feeling characteristic of the early settlers of this part of the country.
Brought up to the usual hard work of the farmer's son, Mr. Smith, rather than taking a distaste to the life, grew to love it sufficiently well to study it along practical lines and entered the Massachusetts Agricultural College from which he was graduated in June, 1879. He considers the influence of home, of private study, and of contact with men in active life as all being strong on his own success in life.
He soon became known as a man possessing more than the average knowledge of farming as a business and from 1897 to 1900 was a member of the State Board of Agriculture, giving faithful and practical service. He also wrote for that Board in 1900, an essay on farm machinery which was printed in its annual report.
Naturally his farming aptitude brought him in connection with the Grange and in this organization he served as Secretary, Lecturer, and Overseer. He was also honored by his townsmen by being chosen as Selectman of the town, and for twenty-five years saw service as a Trustee of the Sunderland Public Library. He retired from Board of Selectmen in March, 1914, and was chosen a member of School Board for three years. He is a member of Congregational Church and was chosen deacon for four years in December, 1913. In politics Mr. Smith is a Republican. He is a Mason, a Knight Templar and a member of the National Geographical Society.
Mr. Smith has lived out the principles which he lays down for young men: "Self reliance, straightforward methods, a sure purpose, learning to stand on one's own feet, thus gaining the confidence of others."


HENRY ROGERS SMITH
HENRY ROGERS SMITH was born in Leominster, Massachusetts, October 7, 1842, son of Isaac Smith, born July 10, 1811, died May 24, 1899, a shoe merchant, a man of integrity and temperance, who married Mary Buss Hills, born August 27, 1814, and died April 27, 1899. She was of the fifth generation from Joseph Hills who came from England in 1638 and settled in Maiden, Massachusetts. Ten years later he was elected to a seat in the General Court and was chosen speaker of the House. He was well learned in English law and was the first to codify the laws of Massachusetts, and in reward for which service he was given 500 acres of land exempt from taxation during his life.
In his boyhood young Henry Rogers Smith was interested in the simple sports of his time, and in amateur dramatics. For a continued task, he learned the complete art of making shoes, and worked at the bench mornings, nights and during his vacation.
He studied his Latin lessons with his text book fastened on a form before him while making shoes.
His mother was industrious, cheerful, patient and self-sacrificing. She was fond of reading Adin Ballou's "Practical Christian." Her moral and spiritual influence greatly appealed to the heart of her son, and aided in shaping his course in life. He overcame the difficulties in acquiring an education by in part earning his way through school, and thus gained valuable experience in self-reliance. He early formed a taste for reading the biographies and speeches of prominent men and attending the lyceum lectures of his day, which had much to do in molding his ideals.
After finishing his primary studies he became a student in the Leominster High School from which he graduated. He became a photographer with the Army of the Potomac in the fall of 1861 and winter of 1862. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, 36th Regiment, M. Y. M., and was discharged for disability in March, 1863, and returned home. He later decided to enter the ministry and to that end entered the Meadville, Pennsylvania, Theological School, where he remained during the years of 1865-68. He then entered the Boston School for the ministry from which he graduated in 1869. He was ordained to the Unitarian ministry in June, 1869, and was at once called to the pastorate of the Unitarian Church in Barre, Massachusetts, where he remained until 1878 when he resigned his position and spent the ensuing summer in travel through various parts of Europe.
Returning to America he became a partner with Joel Smith for the manufacture of combs in Leominster, Massachusetts, with whom he remained from 1879 to 1887, and then became bookkeeper for his father-in-law, Silas M. Wheelock, in the woolen mill at Uxbridge, Massachusetts, from 1887 to 1889. He then accepted the position of Treasurer of the Richardson Piano Case Company, of Leominster and has retained that position to date (1915).
Mr. Smith was elected to a seat in the Massachusetts Legislature to represent Leominster in 1896 and 1897. He was a member of the School Committee of Leominster in 1880, holding the position for eight consecutive years, being Chairman a part of the time. He has been Chairman of the Committee having in charge the town charity funds from 1905 to date. He has been annually elected President of the Leominster Old Ladies' Home from 1900 to date. He is also a trustee and auditor of the Savings Bank and a trustee of the Hospital Association.
He is a member of the Wilder Lodge of Masons, of the Leominster Club, of the Monoosnock County Club, and of the Grand Army of the Republic. He cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln, and has ever since been identified with the Republican party. Mr. Smith says he learned to play golf at sixty for health and at seventy played it for fun.
Mr. Smith was married October 21, 1874, to Alice A., daughter of Silas M. and Irene (Taft) Wheelock and a descendant from Eleazer Wheelock, D.D., the founder of Dartmouth College. Two children have been born to them, Rolfe Wheelock Smith, a graduate of Dartmouth College, now in business with his father, and Leon Hills Smith, a graduate from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, now an architect in San Francisco, California.
The relative strength of the influences which have made Mr. Smith's life a great success is rated by him in order as follows: -
That of an early ideal home, of contact with worthy men in active life, of wisely directed private study, of the varied schools, and of early companionship.


WILLIAM SIMEON SMITH
WILLIAM SIMEON SMITH, born September 30, 1837, at Suffield, Connecticut, was the son of Henry and Lydia (Bronson) Smith, and grandson of Simeon and Chloe Smith. Henry Smith, the father, was born in 1804 and died 1883. Lydia Bronson was the daughter of Sylvanus and Ester (Remington) Bronson.
The father was a quiet man, but very firm in his opinions. He was a member of the Baptist Church and had read his Bible through twenty-one times. By occupation he was a farmer. He was a lineal descendant from the Rev. Henry Smith who immigrated from England and settled at Wethersfield, Connecticut, in 1636. John Cotton Smith who was in the ancestral line, served as one of the last charter Governors of Connecticut.
William Simeon Smith was educated at Williams College graduating with the class of 1860 and soon found a position in Maysville, Kentucky, as Principal of the High School. But it was in 1870 that he took up the work that in after years made him famous. The Legislature of Kentucky had created a State insurance department and Mr. Smith was chosen Deputy Commissioner, serving in that capacity for six years. During that period, by his accurate and painstaking work, he was brought into prominence not only in Kentucky but in various other States of the Union. From 1876 to 1877 he was assistant actuary of a St. Louis Life Insurance Company. At the latter date Stephen H. Rhodes, then Insurance Commissioner of Massachusetts, invited Mr. Smith to become Deputy Commissioner. The invitation was accepted, and the position held for seventeen years. Mr. Rhodes became President of the John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company of Boston, and, in 1894, Mr. Smith accepted the important position as Actuary of that company. He held that office at the time of his death, September 3, 1909. Mr. Smith had written much on the subject of Life Insurance.
He was a Fellow of the Actuarial Society of America ; Associate of the International Congress of Actuaries, and a member of the Masonic Fraternity. As an actuary, Mr. Smith probably had no peer in the United States, and while associated with the Massachusetts Insurance Department he so systematized the work that to-day this Commonwealth possesses the most efficient State insurance supervising bureau of any State in the country.
In politics Mr. Smith was Republican. He never married. The passing of a man like Mr. Smith is a loss, for such men are rare in any community. He became a leader by the methods of a clean, upright, conscientious, business man, never varying from the strict line of honesty but conducting all of his affairs on the broad basis of truth and integrity. His life from youth to its close was an example of good citizenship and will leave its impress upon those who were connected with him in business or social relations.


FRANCIS EDGAR STANLEY
A life faithful to duty crowned with success is that of Francis Edgar Stanley, President of the Stanley Automobile Company of Newton, Massachusetts.
He was born in Kingfield, Maine, June 1, 1849, the son of Solomon Stanley (born in 1813 and died in 1889). His mother was Apphia French. His grandfathers were Liberty Stanley, born in 1776, died in 1863, and Isaac French, born in 1770, died in 1835.
His grandmothers were, Mehitable Keezer and Hannah Fairbanks, a descendant of the Fairbanks family of America. His ancestors were all stalwart, enterprising workers of good New England stock. His father was a farmer and teacher, an industrious man of honesty and independence of character and high ideals; a self-made man of sturdy moral fiber.
Mr. Stanley as a student was fond of reading books dealing with the vital problems of life and character. His special tastes were for mathematics and mechanics.
His school education consisted of instruction given in a country school, and in the Farmington (Maine) Normal School where he was fitted to be a teacher in the public schools of his native State. He taught school from 1870 to 1875. Three things contributed largely to the healthy mind and vigorous character which won for him success in life, viz. : - The home influences which directed his moral and social development, the companions who incited him to manly action, and the private study, which increased his mental resources and ripened his judgment.
After five years of teaching Mr. Stanley turned his attention to the labors of an artist and photographer, in which he continued until 1888. He was engaged from 1883 to 1904 in the manufacture of photographers' dry plates, a work in which many failed but in which he won success.
Mr. Stanley was one of the early inventors and manufacturers of automobiles. He began their manufacture in 1897, and has continued it to the present time. His machines have proved deservedly popular and are known through the length and breadth of our country. For the automobile Mr. Stanley has taken out over fifty patents.
Mr. Stanley is a member of the Hunnewell Club of Newton, the Brae-Burn Club, and several automobile and aeronautic clubs, He has never sought nor held public office having been absorbed in private affairs and content in guiding them to success. He is nominally a Republican in Politics, but an ardent advocate of Free-trade ; believing that the abolition of all restrictions upon international commerce would have a great influence in promoting peace and friendship among nations.
In his religious life he and family are allied with the Unitarian Church. He is strongly attached to his home life in which he finds his greatest pleasure and relaxation from the absorbing care and interest in a large and increasing business.
Mr. Stanley married January 1, 1870, Augusta M., daughter of William and Mary Walker, granddaughter of John and Martha (Jones) Walker, and of William and Abigail (Woodman) Witham, descended from Edward Woodman, the immigrant ancestor, who came from England to Newbury, Massachusetts, in 1632. Mr. and Mrs. Stanley have three children: - Blanche M., Emily F., and Raymond W. Stanley.
From his experience and observation, Mr. Stanley offers this counsel to young people, "Practice temperance in all things; the strictest integrity in business affairs, and cultivate a love for the work one is called to perform." These sentences, he believes, embody the principles upon which may be founded success, prosperity and a happy, useful life.


ISAAC WILSON STETSON
ISAAC WILSON STETSON, farmer, President of the Heath Telephone Company, was born in Colerain, Massachusetts, February 8, 1839. He was born and reared in very humble circumstances and has known by practical experience the restraints of limited means in a large family. His father was Thomas Stetson, a stone mason by trade. His mother was Mary Duncan McClellan. A family of nine children was to be provided for and the energies of all had to be put to test at an early age. The father was seriously injured some years before his death and was unable to work. He died when Mr. Stetson was but sixteen years old.
From the age of thirteen to seventeen Mr. Stetson worked on a farm for five dollars and a half a month attending the district school in the winter months.
At about the time of the death of the father he had an attack of scarlet fever which left him in a very poor state of health. As his widowed mother had two brothers in Wisconsin, one of whom was a distinguished physician, she went with her son to that state and put him under the medical care of his uncle. He not only regained his health but had the advantage of attending school for three years in the city of Kenosha. At the age of twenty, he returned with his mother to Massachusetts and has since resided there.
In early youth he had a desire for a farm of his own, on which he could keep horses and cattle. So when he was married, at the age of twenty-four, he took the farm on which he has lived for half a century, in North Heath, Franklin County, and commenced the active career of a practical farmer with sturdy determination to succeed.
In 1895 he bought a co-operative creamery which had been started and conducted with ill success, built it up anew and for several years has carried on a successful business in butter making. One of his sons is in the business with him under the name of I. W. Stetson and Son, manufacturers of choice table butter of the Cold Spring Creamery.
Mr. Stetson has taken an active interest in public matters affecting the interests of the town and has held many town offices. Hardly a year in the last twenty-five years has passed without his service to the town in some capacity.
In 1896 he was instrumental in starting the Heath Telephone Company. It commenced with thirteen telephones in operation, was incorporated in 1898 and now covers an area of fifteen townships.
He is a member of the Grange conducted in the interests of the agricultural population.
In politics Mr. Stetson is a Republican. In religion he affiliates with the Congregationalists.
April 22, 1863, Mr. Stetson married Miss Susan Melissa Worden, daughter of Rufus and Susan Powers Worden.
Nine children were born of this union, four of whom died in infancy. The five living are: Delia May, now Mrs. Fred E. Gleason; Henry Edson Stetson, a farmer; J. Augustus Worden Stetson; Effie Melissa, now Mrs. Arthur C. Baker; and Frank Edgar Stetson in the butter making business with his father. Mrs. Stetson died in January, 1904.
The life and work of Mr. Stetson is a lesson and an example worthy to be followed by the youth of today. He has climbed the ladder of success round by round and in his ascent he never forgot his duty to his native town and state and to his fellow men to whom he was always ready to lend a helping hand. A kind neighbor, he is respected by all. His record is honorable and he is a man whom any community would be proud to claim as its citizen.


GEORGE WENDELL TAPLEY
GEORGE WENDELL TAPLEY was born at Lowell, Massachusetts, September l, 1835 ; he died at his home in Springfield, Massachusetts, December 21, 1912.
His immigrant ancestor, John Tapley, was born in England in 1638. Sometime previous to 1663 he came to Salem, where he was married to Elizabeth Pride. Mr. Tapley's grandfather was Joseph Tapley, 1756-1820 and his father was Jesse Tapley, who was born in 1788 and died at the advanced age of eighty-nine in 1877. His mother was Eliza Wendell Davis, and his grandmother, Mary Smith.
George Wendell Tapley was the youngest of three sons. His father was a farmer, a man of sterling Christian character, industrious and of a sympathetic nature; a supporter of church. In the days when men of military age were mustered for an annual drill he became a captain.
The mother of George W. Tapley was a woman of great energy and strong religious character. Thus in boyhood he had the best of home influence, plenty of work, a good moral training and the discipline suited to wholesome development. He attended the public schools until he was about fifteen years of age and in vacations he had a little experience in a store. This latter occupation gave him a bent for his life work. He left school at fifteen and during the next three years he was successively in the book store of Hopkins & Bridgman at Northampton and a grocery store and market in Lowell. At the age of eighteen he went to Springfield and began the trade of book-binding with his brother. After learning his trade he went to Salem to engage in the same business.
With two partners he started a bindery in Providence, Rhode Island. In 1860 he came to Springfield and became foreman in the bindery department of Samuel Bowles & Co. In 1866 Mr. Tapley and Charles A. Brigham formed a partnership for the manufacture of card board and linen finish collar paper. In 1878 he bought the assets of the Milton-Bradley Company and the business was continued under that corporate name. In 1882, V. M. Taylor bought out the interest of Mr. Brigham and became a partner in the business which was carried on under the name of the Taylor & Tapley Manufacturing Co. Three years later, in 1885, two New York Companies were taken into the firm and the name was changed to the United Manufacturing Co. Thus by additions and expansion the small beginning of 1866 became in 1885 a large plant. From the time the company was organized as a corporation, Mr. Tapley was its President.
Having obtained prominence in business affairs and an influential position as a man and a citizen, Mr. Tapley came to be sought for several important offices. He became a Director in the Springfield National Bank, Vice President of the Fiberloid Co. of Indian Orchard, and President of the Baptist Mutual Relief Association. He was elected a member of the Common Council in 1870 and of the Board of Aldermen in the years 1879-80 and 1884-6. He became a Republican in early life and never saw reason to change. He united with the Baptist Church when a young man in Galesburg, Illinois. When he became settled in Springfield, he transferred his connection as one of the first-charter members of the State Street Baptist Church of this city. For recreation he was fond of a horse and carriage and of the automobile.
Mr. Tapley was twice married, first to Mary ?. Walls in 1861.
She was a daughter of Elisha and Harriet Hopkins Walls, of Providence, Rhode Island ; the date of her birth was 1828, of her death, 1869. His second marriage, 1872, was to Hannah Sheffield, daughter of Francis and Betsy Noyes of Pawcatuck, Connecticut.
Mr. Tapley had but one child, a son by his first wife ; William Walls Tapley, now President and Business Manager of the company with which his father was long connected.
Mr. Tapley was a manufacturer and as a business man stood in the very first rank. He was uniformly successful, as able in the latter years of his life as in the strength of middle age, ranking with men of a succeeding generation as a keen, able, practical manufacturer, conservative but always abreast of the times. He was a credit to any community being known as a man of the highest personal character and of unquestioned integrity.


EVERETT TORREY
EVERETT TORREY was born in the old town of Scituate, in the part that is now known as Norwell, May 27, 1828, and died in Scituate, October 1, 1911.
His father was David Torrey, born February 20, 1787, died October 10, 1877. His mother was Vesta Howard of Bridgewater, daughter of Caleb Howard, born December 15, 1760, and his wife Silvia (Alger) Howard.
David Torrey's father was George Torrey, born 1758, died July 13, 1813, and his wife Thankful (Otis) Torrey. David Torrey was a thrifty, industrious shipbuilder, in the days when ship building was an important business on the coast of Massachusetts.
He was descended from James Torrey who came from England about 1640 and settled in Scituate.
Everett Torrey was educated in the town school in Scituate and in the Hanover Academy. After leaving the Academy he served as an apprentice to the trade of bricklaying in Boston, beginning his apprenticeship at the age of sixteen. In 1852 he established under the name of Torrey and Co., a wholesale marble and granite business. He was also president of the McDonald Stone Cutting Machine Co., and a trustee of the Warren Institution for Savings, in Charlestown, Massachusetts.
In 1861 and 1862 he represented Wards 2 and 3 of the city of Charlestown in the Massachusetts House of Representatives.
He was appointed by the Governor as a member of the State Board of Health, Lunacy and Charity, March 19, 1884, to fill the unexpired term of Thomas Talbot. In June, 1884, he was appointed for the full term of five years, but resigned August 16, 1886. He was a member of the Board of Directors of Public Institutions of the city of Boston from 1880 to May 1, 1884.
During the years 1867, 1868, and 1869, he was inspector of the State Prison. He became one of the Trustees of the Winchester Home for Aged Women in 1889 and held the office of first Vice-president until his death. He was a life member of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society and of the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association and was on the Board of Managers of the latter for one year. He was Chairman of the Charlestown Republican Committee for a number of years. He served on the Board which represented Charlestown at the time of its annexation to Boston. He was for a long time an active member of the Charlestown Improvement Association. He was for many years an active member of the Harvard Unitarian Church of Charlestown, and served on its Official Board. And when the Church disbanded he was prominent in closing up its local affairs. After the closing of the Unitarian Church he attended the Universalist Church on Thompson Square, Charlestown. He was a member of the Masonic Society, and a Knight Templar. He was Treasurer of the Henry Price Lodge, Royal Arch Chapter of the Signet and Cour de Lion Commandery.
He was married November 24, 1853, to Eliza D. Webb, daughter of Captain Seth Webb. He was descended from Thomas Webb, who came from Boston to Scituate about 1725. He married for his second wife, October 1, 1885, Mrs. Julia (Stetson) Whitcher of Concord, New Hampshire, daughter of the Rev. Caleb Stetson of Scituate, and Lexington, Massachusetts. Mrs. Torrey died in 1915.
Many were the beautiful tributes to the memory of Mr. Torrey.
The Resolutions passed by the Warren Institution for Savings (Charlestown), read: - "That in the death of Mr. Torrey, this Institution has lost a valuable member, one who unless prevented by sickness always attended all meetings of the Corporation, Trustees and Board of Investment. He was one whose genial disposition made it a pleasure to serve with him and the Trustees desire to place upon the records this testimony of their appreciation of his service and friendship."
The Memorial put on the Records of the Winchester Home for Aged Woman (Charlestown), reads as follows:
"Mr. Torrey was long known as an honest, noble citizen of old Charlestown. He lived among his neighbors and business associates, shedding the light of his cheerful face and his benign good will. None knew him but to love him. None sought his aid in vain. His memory is precious. He won an honored name in the
community. It remains. His duties were well done. His character crowns his life."


FRANK EMMETT TUTTLE
FRANK EMMETT TUTTLE was born at Chicopee, Massachusetts, November 16, 1845, and spent his boyhood and business life in his native town. He came of a sturdy English stock. William Tuttle (Tuttill or Tuthill), from whom his branch of the family sprang, became a proprietor at New Haven about 1687. The spot of land he cleared in the wilderness was, a half a century later, selected as the site of Yale College. Roderick Tuttle, the father of Frank Tuttle, was a farmer and dealer in horses. He had a fine appreciation of the good points and character of a horse, and the purchaser was rarely disappointed who took his advice. He was known in all the country-side as an exceedingly good natured and kindly man. His mother was a woman of remarkable intelligence, at a time when the education of women was thought of little consequence. Their boy seems to have inherited the best characteristics of both parents, a cheerful good nature and a love of books and reading. He early manifested a strong desire to enter one of the learned professions but he was obliged to leave the Chicopee High School, and devote himself to earning a living and contributing to the support of his mother. At the age of seventeen he began practical life as bookkeeper for E. R. Haskell & Sons, who were engaged in the provision business at Springfield. Here the energetic and enthusiastic boy proved his efficiency and soon was wanted in a more responsible position. In 1861, he accepted a position with the firm of Howard Bros., dealers in railroad supplies. He was not long in mastering the details of the business and soon became their confidential clerk. With this firm he remained eleven years. But he was ambitious for independence, and a wise use of his earnings enabled him in 1873 to form a partnership with John 0lmstead, an enterprising business man in Springfield, in handling cotton waste. For a time their headquarters were in Springfield, but in 1887 they moved to Chicopee, erected a new plant and greatly enlarged their business. Mr. Tuttle's administrative abilities had now an opportunity, and he installed many ingenious devices for converting cotton waste into comforters, mattresses, carpet-linings, floor mops and other things. The business grew to such proportions that they were obliged to enlarge their plant. Mr. Tuttle acted not only as president and treasurer of the concern but he looked after the practical working of every department. There was nothing manufactured by the concern that he could not make with his own hands, nor was there a piece of machinery that he could not repair if it was out of order. Such men are usually hard masters for they know what a day's work is and it is difficult for them to understand why other men cannot see and do things as quickly as they can. He was, however, patient with learners and ever ready to give instruction and encouragement. He was indulgent to the indisposed and it was not uncommon for him to keep a sick man who had rendered good service under pay for weeks and even months.
While devoted to his own business he took an active interest in the town and the welfare of the people. In 1890 he entered into partnership with James L. Humphry in the real estate business. They purchased a tract of land, some thirty acres, on the road to Springfield, cut it up into lots and built some houses. He had an idea that every man with a family should own a house and made the terms of purchase easy. On this lot of land which he called "Veranus" after a former owner, he erected a fine casino, to encourage sympathy and sociability among the people by affording an attractive place for gatherings of all kinds and a meeting place for clubs and societies.
Mr. Tuttle may rightly be called a student of politics. He knew what was going on in the political world both at home and abroad. He was himself a Republican but his personal friends were of diverse political opinions and he was in constant social intercourse with prominent politicians of both the great parties. He took little or no part in political contests, had no taste for office and declined more than once to be a candidate for Mayor of the city, but he always voted and contributed to the expenses of tie various campaigns.
He had a fine taste in landscape gardening which led him to accept a position as one of the commissioners of Fairview cemetery. Here his taste in architecture, to which he had devoted some study, is finely illustrated in the beautiful Spaulding Memorial Chapel which is his own idea of what such a building should be.
Although a busy man he took time for recreation and to him those of his choice were real re-creations. He enjoyed a hard fought battle on the ball ground and entered into the excitement with his whole soul. His love of music led him to the opera. He was an inveterate theater-goer. Indeed he went to everything except tragedy. Tragedy contributed nothing to his enjoyment, and he held that it was no part of the recreations of life. He had a profound respect for the actor's art, and it was characteristic of him to be sorely vexed when the actor was criticized by an immature and inexperienced pen. Between the acts he would often go to the reporters and call their attention to parts which were well presented. From the moment he began to be self-supporting he did extra work and saved every penny to be able to take his mother to hear the distinguished actors who came to Springfield.
Mr. Tuttle possessed the power to throw aside all thoughts of business the moment he crossed the threshold of his own home. But here he lost no time, a newspaper or a book was in his hand at once. He read the former with astonishing rapidity, except perhaps an important editorial, a state paper or a speech on some vital question. His memory was retentive and his conversation was enlivened by apt quotations usually from the humorists. He was a lover of good literature, and was both a reader and a student of books. But he took little pleasure in reading a book that he did not own. His tastes ran to biography, both political and literary, and his shelves were crowded with the stories of American and English statesmen and with lives of English and French men of letters. He had the habit of marking the subject of the paragraph on the margin, and in his copy of John Quincy Adams' Diary in twelve volumes, every important date, caustic remark or statement of a great political principle is noted in the margin, which shows how attentively he read. His sense of humor let him deep into the old English novelists and Artemus Ward was his great delight. He found something new every time he opened "His Book." In early life he fell in love with Charles Dickens and the love seemed to grow in ardor with advancing years. When a mere boy he would copy page after page of Dickens from borrowed books and having, the gift of mimicry in after years he delighted to deliver in Dickens' own style the stories he read when in this country. Of all the writers of fiction Dickens was foremost, a veritable suggester of noble thoughts and generous sentiments which brought in their train both rest and courage.
Mr. Tuttle was one of the most companionable of men, and his hospitality was graced by a charming welcome. He was a member of several of the leading clubs in Springfield, but he very rarely attended any of them. He was liberal and generous in all his feeling and ideas, and was in sympathy with those who had heavy burdens to carry.
While a lad in Springfield he became very much interested in the Second Parish (Unitarian), and he never lost his interest, and in later years returned to his old attachment. But the minister at the Unitarian Church at Chicopee was for a long time the recipient at Christmas of a handsome check. The last three or four years of his life were clouded by the insidious attacks of a disease which at last proved fatal on the 12th of July, 1913.
Mr. Tuttle married on October 24, 1876, Miss Mary ?. Stearns, daughter of George M. Stearns and Emily C. Goodnow. Of their two children only Miss Emily Stearns Tuttle now survives. Mrs. Tuttle died February 18, 1884, and Mr. Tuttle married, November 25, 1885, Miss Sarah F. Knapp, daughter of George H. Knapp and Mary B. Cooley, who survives him.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

 

 
USA 3
 
All data on this website is 2010 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.