Franklin County, Massachusetts
Genealogy and History

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Massachusetts logo

Sick List News

 A rifle ball shot directly through the head; patient recovered but has acquired some peculiarities.  By David Rice, M.D., of Leverett, Massachusetts.  Boston Med. and Surg. Journal, 1849.
Henry W. Richardson, aged 14, son of Francis Richardson. of Leverett on the 28th of September last, received a severe gunshot wound in his head. A considerable portion of substance of the brain was traversed by the ball, but the boy has now quite recovered.  I deem the case of sufficient importance to be reported, being in my opinion, a rare and interesting one.  The circumstances connected with, and leading to, the accident, are as follows: --
George, an elder brother, was in the house loading a rifle, preparatory to firing at a target, at some distance through an open window.  Henry was at the barn, unloading a cart, and not being aware of danger, ran to the house on a footpath leading directly by the window from which George was about to fire his rifle.  He passed by it just as the piece was discharged, the ball entering his head when within two feet of the muzzle.  He fell lifeless, and was supposed to be quite dead for nearly an hour.  He was carried into the house and laid upon a bed. I saw him for the first time in the evening, about four hours after the accident.  I found him comatose, extremely pallid, the whole surface of this body and extremities cold and clammy, pulse hardly perceptible, and the breathing discernible only by close observation.  I found that the ball had passed directly through his head, as considerable portions of brain were hanging both at the entrance and exit of the shot.  I proceeded to shave the hair from around the external wounds, and to appply a temporary dressing, supposing that the lad would probably die before morning; but on visiting him again at sunrise, I found, much to my surprise, that he was still alive, and the the powers of life had considerably rallied.  I removed the dressings, examined the wounds more accurately and removed several comminuted fragments of bone, with shreds of membrane and brain, that hung from the injured parts in view.
He remained entirely unconscious for six days after the injury.  The left side of the body was completely paralyzed up to this time.  On the seventh day, the swelling of the scalp having subsided, I ascertained, on examination, that the skull was considerably fractured and broken up, at the place of exit of the ball.  I made a crucial incision through the scalp at this place, dissected up the corners, and removed, with an instrument, several pieces of bone that had been partially broken off from the skull by the force of the shot, and were making some pressure upon the brain.
From this time the boy evidently began to amend.  His bowels were easily moved by cathartics; where before, there had been but little action, and it was with difficulty that a stool could be procured.  His pulse and breathing assumed a more favorable aspect, and gradually became natural.  He had an evident relish for food, and began to talk.  The parlyzed portion of his body, from this time rapidly regained its normal action.  In four weeks from the accident the wounds had completely healed, and the boy could walk about the house and converse with his friends, although there was as yet but little strength in the left side of his body.
The only dressing applied, through the whole course of treatment, was simple strips of linen, secured over the wound with adhesive plaster.  These were changed as often as they became loosened.  The head was wet freely with brandy and water, and a solution of sugar of lead.  The bowels were kept open with castor oil and a decoction of senna.  The diet consisted entirely of fluids for the first fortnight; after that, he was allowed more nutritious food.
The anatomical facts as to the boundaries of the injury as as follows: The  ball (sixty-seven weighing one pound) entered the head in the right temple, about one inch above, in front of the ear, passing through the lower part of the frontal suture, a little above its junction with the sphenoid bone, and passed out at the back part of the head, through the lambdoidal suture of the same side, a few lines below its apex.  The distance from one would to the other was about five inches and five-eighths.
These measurements show that the ball must have traversed nearly or quite five inches of the substance of the brain.  The boy is at the present time quite well, although he has some peculiarities that he did not have before the injury.  He has a slight stoop in his shoulders, goes with head down, and is more inclined to mirthfulness.  [Source: A Collection of remarkable cases in surgery by Paul Fitzsimmons Eve, 1857; Transcribed by aFoFG (nw)]

Smallpox in Sunderland

The old people of a former generation used to speak of a time when there were cases of smallpox in town, and of their being quarantined, or sent to a house where they would not expose other people to the disease. The following record alludes to that time as follows, viz:

"Dec. 20, 1796. voted that it is the opinion of this meeting that it is expedient for the selectmen to remove Benj. Cantrail who is sick with the small pox to some convenient place."

"Voted that we are willing that thos persons who have been exposed to take the small pox of said Cantrail should inoculate for it and so many others as to make up the number thirty provided they innoculate within three days after the infection arrived in town."

"Voted that it is the minds of this meeting that John Rowe Jr.s House at Hatchet Brook shall be the place for the above mentioned persons to have the small pox in."

How long the smallpox patients were kept in quarantine we have no information. At a meeting held in March following, a committee was chosen "to determine where the road should go to go by the house."

There was an impression that at an early period it was not considered the best thing to do to inoculate for smallpox. In April 16, 1777, the town votes:

"That no person who is an inhabitant of this town shall take the infection of the small pox by Inoculation on any occasion unless leave is obtained first of the selectmen." [Source: History of the Town of Sunderland, John Montague Smith, Henry Walbridge Taft; transc. by a FoFG]

           In West Hawley: Little Jean Fisher has been ill for over two weeks with whooping cough for which she and her sister are receiving inoculations. [The North Adams Transcript (North Adams, Massachusetts) 8 Aug 1939, transc. by aFOFG(nw)]

Mrs. Fred Benton of 3 13th? street is ill at the Farren Memorial hospital. [Source: The Turners Falls Herald, Dec 6, 1940; contrib. by a FoFG]

The condition of Ruth Elaine Sullivan, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Maurice D. Sulliven of Prospect was "good" this morning. Farren hospital officials reported Ruth Elaine underwent an emergency appendectomy Wednesday.[Source: The Turners Falls Herald, Dec 6, 1940; contrib. by a FoFG]

Influenza is raging considerably in town (Bernardston). [Source: The Turners Falls Reporter, Feb 3, 1875; transc. by a FoFG]

In Montague, R.J. Rowe is confined to crutches with a sprained ankle [Source: The Turners Falls Reporter, Jan 2, 1878; transc. by a FoFG]

Wm. Peacock had his left thumb taken off a little below the joint, by the paper cutting machine in the Montague mill, one day last week. Dr. Campbell attended. [Source: The Turners Falls Reporter, May 30, 1877; transc. by a FoFG]

Mrs. Jonathan Watt, the oldest inhabitant of Whately, pas 93, lies very low and her death seems near.  [Source: The Turners Falls Reporter, May 30, 1877; transc. by a FoFG]

The little settlement of Hoosac Tunnel Station is the last locality to suffer from malignant diptheria. The disease has raged fearfully in that vicinity of late and shows no signs of abatement. Conway has not yet got ride of the scourge, either. [Source: The Turners Falls Reporter, Jan 27, 1875; transc. by a FoFG]

MassachusettsGenealogy Trails

All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.