The State Primary School
The inmates of the School consist of juvenile offenders too young to be sent to the Lyman School, and dependentand neglected children who come under the care of the State, and also a few women transferred with their childrenfrom the State Almshouse. It is at once a school and a temporary home. The buildings are old, but, with necessaryrepairs and proper attention to ventilation and drainage, they can be made thoroughly comfortable, and sufficientfor their purpose for a considerable time to come. The Board has frequently noted a lack of attention to theseand other essentials, and is glad to report an improvement, especially in the drainage and in the matter of watersupply ; but much still remains to be done. Since last January a satisfactory system of quarantine has been inoperation, the smaller children among the arrivals being separated from the others for a period of two weeks, beforebeing placed in the School. With respect to the immediate management of the School, it must be said that thereis still an apparent lack of appreciation of hygienic requirements ; in matters of ventilation, preparation offood and personal cleanliness, the School is below the standard.
More life, more zeal, more enthusiasm in the work are wanted. The School should always be regarded as a temporaryresidence, and a place for absolutely primary instruction only. The children should be placed in families, whetherwith or without board, after as short a detention in the School as is consistent with their well-being.
The institution life and the institution atmosphere, even supposing that the management of the School throughoutits system and in all its details is without defect, are productive of benefit for but a very limited period. TheBoard agrees with the Trustees in hoping that in the near future there will be found in the School only the twoclasses of mentally and physically defective children, and juvenile offenders too young to be intentionally vicious.
Lyman School for Boys
There has been a marked improvement in this School during the past year. There is a better moral atmosphere; theboys seem more cheerful, and more ingenuity has been shown in employing them. The monotonous and wearying laborof chair-seating has been almost done away with, and the boys are occupied instead with blacksmith work, printingand other industries. Military drill has been continued, and a system of gymnastics has been introduced. The Boardis glad to notice that a course of nature-studies has been begun, a subject which is attracting the attention ofliberal educators everywhere. The methods of instruction generally tend to stimulate the faculties of the boys,and to awaken their dormant intelligence, and as a whole the training of the School leads to practical uses. Butwith all that may be said in the way of commendation of the conduct of this institution, it must be added thatthere is still an inclination on the part of the management to keep the pupils in the School too long. The instruction,excellent as it is in most respects, is laid out on too large a scale. The Board understands and appreciates thedifficulty arising from the delay in sending boys here until as near the fifteen years limit of age as possible,and the consequent increase in the length of time it has seemed necessary to keep these boys before releasing them;but is still of the opinion that the average period of detention in the institution might well be made considerablyshorter than it is at present.
The State Industrial School for Girls
The girls of this institution are grouped in four separate cottages, with about an equal number in each, referencebeing had in the classification to the previous character and experience of each inmate. No change is made fromone house to another except for bad conduct, when a girl is sometimes transferred to a house containing similaroffenders.
This is a reformatory and an industrial school in one. In addition to their school instruction, the girls are occupiednot only in sewing, cleaning, laundry work and cooking, but in painting, papering, upholstering and carpentering,and also in a good deal of farm work. They are all sentenced during their minority, but after detention in theschool for a year or fifteen months, they are generally sent out on probation to carefully selected homes, wherethey are subject to the supervision of the Auxiliary Visitors of the Board, and whence they can at any time berecalled for bad conduct.
As in the case of the boys in the Lyman School, it is to be regretted that in many instances the commitment ofstubborn or erring girls is too long postponed, and the Board agrees with the Trustees that parents, friends andofficers of the law should more frequently interpose to check wayward girls in the first stages of their downwardcareer, instead of waiting until the age limit of seventeen is nearly reached. The School continues to show admirableresults; and the methods of training and the manner in which they are carried out are commendable.
The State Almshouse
This institution differs from all the others in that it contains not only a pauper department, but hospital andlunatic wards for both sexes. During the thirty-eight years of its existence, it has received in all 90,914 inmates.
The Legislature of 1891 appropriated a sum not exceeding $20,000 for the erection of a new building for insanemen, and also for constructing a sun-room in connection with the female lunatic ward. The sun-room has been completed,and the new building is already roofed in. When finished, it will provide for fifty insane men, and the basementwill contain a large store-room, to be used instead of the wooden building now standing near the laundry. The appearanceof the institution has been much improved by the removal of the stable and other buildings near the entrance. Itmay be safely stated that in no State institution has there been a more marked improvement than at the State Almshouse,and to one seeing it now for the first time, the sensational stories of the past would seem impossibilities. Thebuildings are clean and in good order, although something still remains to be done in the way of ventilation. Greatattention is paid to the employment of the insane, and with excellent results, shown not only in the piles of completedgarments in the women's wards, but in the quiet and cheerful demeanor of the patients. Up to the close of the officialyear Dr. C. Irving Fisher remained Superintendent of the institution, but he has recently resigned to take chargeof the Presbyterian Hospital in New York, and Dr. Herbert B. Howard, the late first assistant physician, has beenappointed to succeed him. Dr. Howard's efficient service in his former position gives promise of a successful andsatisfactory administration.
The State Farm
This institution contains a pauper and a prison department, and a lunatic ward occupied almost entirely by theso-called criminal insane.
The additions and improvements authorized by the last Legislature are well under way. The buildings are all ingood condition, and the farm of four hundred acres continues to be successfully cultivated. The management of theState Farm is satisfactory in all its departments. A large proportion both of the sane and insane are employed,and a stranger visiting the chair shops would have difficulty in deciding which of the quiet, orderly assemblageswas made up from the patients gathered from the various hospitals, and classed as criminal or dangerous. Nowhereis the value of occupation more plainly to be seen. The approach of winter will soon fill this institution witha crowd of tramps and vagrants, many of them former inmates, who, after wandering about the country all summer,are glad to pass the winter in comfortable quarters at the expense of the State.
The Danvers Lunatic Hospital
Legislature has purchased the farm owned by Francis Dodge, in the town of Danvers, Essex county, for the purposeof erecting an additional Institution for the Insane.
"The estate embraces about two hundred acres, commanding a varied and beautiful prospect, the ocean in thedistance on one side, the great mountain ranges on the other, and an intervals for many miles t around filled withrichly-cultivated farms and prosperous towns and villages. The hill is far enough from the town to prevent itsbeing encroached upon by increase of population, at least for many years to come, is abundantly supplied with water,and is accessible by good highways, and branches of the Boston & Maine and Eastern Railroads which skirt itsborders. With a moderate outlay, the situation, for which nature has done much, may be made the most attractiveof all those now occupied by the public institutions of the Commonwealth."
State Lunatic Hospital at Danvers
The new buildings are to be sufficient to accommodate four hundred patients, with the necessary officers and attendants;and the act establishing the Hospital appropriated the sum of $650,000 for the purpose."
This Hospital continues in the same generally excellent condition as heretofore, and the overcrowded wards areneat and well-kept. Constant repairs have been made, required by the defective construction of the buildings. Theaddition of a number of storm-windows has resulted in a considerable saving of coal.
A new barn for cows, with all the most approved appliances, has been built. The training school for nurses hasbeen in operation for two years, and one class of seven pupils has completed the course. Over one-third of theinmates have been engaged in out-door and in-door work. The Superintendent states that, as a matter of experiment,communication between the patients and the outside public is almost unrestricted, writing paper is freely distributed,parole patients mail their own and other letters, all letters received, addressed to the patients, are deliveredunopened, and friends of the patients are allowed access to every ward in the Hospital. It would be well for allrecipients of letters from inmates of lunatic hospitals to bear always in mind that the letters are written bypersons subject to various delusions; and also that, under the law, all patients are free to communicate with theState Board, as well as with the Superintendents, with the assurance that their complaints will be investigated.
The Northampton Lunatic Hospital
Additions to the Hospital, consisting of a brick building for store-rooms and lodging-rooms for male employees,and another building which is to contain shops, rooms for the female employees, &c., are well under way. Otherrepairs and improvements have also been made. The farm increases in productiveness each year. Last year there wereproduced all the hay, milk, pork and vegetables, most of the apples, and a part of the beef and grain requiredby the institution. The estimated value of the products was $15,378. A large portion of the farm-work was doneby the patients. This Hospital is old and badly planned, with dark corners and stairways, and the improvementsnow in progress will have little immediate effect upon the comfort and convenience of the patients. Even in theexisting condition of the institution, however, with all its defects, more attention to matters of cleanlinessand ventilation would undoubtedly produce better results.
The Taunton Lunatic Hospital
The sanitary appliances of this Hospital are admirable. The last Legislature appropriated $45,000 for the erectionof an infirmary for women; this is partly completed, and will probably be ready for occupancy early next summer.It appears to be well planned and constructed, and its cost will undoubtedly come within the appropriation. Thenext need, and that a pressing one, will be an infirmary for the men. The Board approves of the request of theTrustees that an appropriation should be made for this purpose by the Legislature of 1892. At least fifty men havebeen employed upon the farm and about the grounds, and a considerable number have worked on the new building. Thesuperintendent states that thirty-five per cent, of the average number of men have had daily employment, and twenty-fiveper cent, of the average number of women. An interesting feature of the institution is the cottage on the grounds,where several patients are kept, much to their advantage. Altogether, the hospital is in a very satisfactory condition.
By an act of the Legislature in May, 1873, the Trustees were authorized to erect two new wings to the Hospital,thereby greatly enlarging its capacity. September 30, 1873, there were 434 patients remaining under care. Weeklycost of patients, $3.76.
The Westborough Insane Hospital
The Trustees report that the cost of maintenance at this institution has been considerably reduced, but it is stillhigher than at the other hospitals. The amount of mechanical restraint and seclusion noted by the Board in formerReports still continues, but this is explained by the Trustees as forming " a part of the experiment as torest treatment, reported by the Superintendent." There is, however, an appearance of restlessness and discontentamong the patients which time does not diminish.This is to be looked for, in some degree, in all assemblies ofthe insane, but at this Hospital it is more marked than elsewhere.
Certain repairs and improvements have been made in the buildings; but the brick building for a laundry, boiler-houseand bakery, for which the sum of $25,000 was appropriated by the last Legislature, has not yet been begun. Manypatients have been employed on the farm.
There is improvement in ventilation and in cleanliness of the rooms and patients, except in the garden-house, whichis unnecessarily offensive. All earnest and well-directed efforts to discover and apply remedial treatment forthe insane are undoubtedly to be commended and encouraged, but the care of a great hospital also demands unremittingattention to sanitary requirements, and constant study of the comfort and well-being of the patients in every particular,as well as a prudent and economical administration of the finances of the institution.
This Hospital was opened in 1886, under an Act of the Legislature providing that there should be "establishedat Westborough in the buildings now occupied by the State Reform School, a State Hospital for the care and treatmentof the insane, upon the principles of medicine known as the homoeopathic, and it shall be known by the name ofthe Westborough Insane Hospital." The Act also provided that "in making commitments of insane persons. . . the judges . . . shall inquire of the applicants for the commitment of any insane person whether it is theirdesire that such person should be treated upon the principles of medicine known as the homoeopathic, and "whensuch applicants answer in the affirmative, such insane persons shall be committed to the Westborough Insane Hospitalin preference to any other place, provided the said Hospital is ready to receive them."
It further provided for the transfer by the State Board of Lunacy and Charity from the other State Hospitals ofpatients for whom the special treatment above mentioned might be desired, and also of other patients.
The Trustees have recently purchased a small farm, on which there is a farm-house, capable of accommodating, afterremodeling, over 50 patients. Interior changes, after the completion of the new laundry, will provide for 40 morewomen. The difficulty of making over an old building, and trying to adapt it to other uses than those for whichit was originally designed, is well illustrated here. In some parts of the Hospital the patients are too much crowdedtogether for good order or proper treatment, but this might be obviated by a more equal distribution of the patientsthrough all the wards. The sanitary arrangements are not satisfactory; some improvements have been made in thegarden- house, but other changes are needed. An improvement is manifest in the neatness of the wards, the bearingand efficiency of the nurses, and the general discipline of the Institution; and there is an evident desire todo good work.
Worcester Lunatic Hospital
A.K.A. The State Lunatic Hospital - Worcester
The State Lunatic Hospital, Worcester, was founded by the State, and was first opened for patients in January.1834.
It has of late been sustained from board of patients. The charge is now $2.00 per week.
There are at the present time (Jan. 15, 1852) 488 patients.
They are sent there by order of the Judges of Probate, by Overseers of the Poor, and by their friends, on bond.
The Hospital has been for several years much crowded, the present accommodations having been intended for not morethan 375 patients and their attendants.
The Hospital is in good condition, and the management, in the hands of the new Superintendent, continues satisfactory.In matters of order and cleanliness nothing remains to be desired. The wards, however, are very much crowded, andin no one of the State establishments for the insane is the urgent necessity for a new State asylum more evidentthan it is here. The buildings can comfortably accommodate but 650 patients, at the most, but since the beginningof the calendar year, the number of inmates has seldom been less than 825. The purchase of the farm at Shrewsbury,more than a year ago, has resulted in the production of milk enough to supply the entire institution.
By the report of the Hospital for the year ending September 30, 1873, there were 469 patients in the Hospital.Rate of cost per week, $4.04. By an act of the Legislature in 1870, the Trustees were authorized to purchase anew site for a Hospital and the erection of buildings thereon, capable of containing 400 patients, the whole notto exceed $575,000.
A tract of land, comprising 275 acres, on the borders of Lake Quiusigarnond, in the suburbs of Worcester, was purchased;and arrangements have already been made for converting it to the uses of the Hospital.
Worcester Insane Asylum
The repairs and improvements consequent upon the fire of January, 1890, for the completion of which the Trusteesmade a temporary transfer of $5,000 from the funds of the Worcester Lunatic Hospital, have added much to the comfortand convenience of the patients. The north ward is far better lighted and ventilated than it was before, and thedrainage system has been perfected.
The inmates of this institution are all of the chronic class. Of the known cases among last year's admissions,heredity is assigned as the probable cause in over twenty-five per cent., and intemperance in twenty per cent.Very little restraint is used; the patients do a great deal of work, and many of the recent improvements are largelythe result of their labor. Altogether the Asylum is well managed and in excellent order.
Worcester City Hospital.
Wellington and Chandler Streets, Worcester.
Incorporated by the Legislature May 25, 1871, and opened for the reception of patients October 26, in the sameyear. By the will of George Jaques, the first Secretary and the first benefactor of the Hospital, the city received,as residuary legatee of his estate, money and lands to the value of $250,000 or more, to be held in trust for theHospital. At present the Hospital occupies Mr. Jaques's homestead. It has 10 beds. It is proposed to open a newpavilion ward at once. Applications for the admission of patients may be made at the Hospital between 9 and 11A.M., any day in the week. Patients able to pay for treatment are admitted at such rates of board as the Trusteesdetermine. Two weeks' board must be secured in advance. No patient is admitted whose case is considered incurable,unless there be urgent symptoms which can be relieved. No person having acute venereal disease, or any contagiousdisease, can be admitted to the Hospital.
Worcester Memorial Free Dispensary
98 Front Street, Worcester.
Incorporated April 20, 1871, in accordance with provisions in the will of Ichabod Washburn.
A sum of money, the present value of which exceeds $150,000, was left to Trustees in the city of Worcester by thelate Ichabod Washburn in 1869, with directions that, at the end of five years from his death, it should be expendedin the foundation and maintenance of a hospital and dispensary in memory of his deceased daughters.
As the Washburn fund could not at once be made available, it was thought advisable to organize the Dispensary atan earlier date. Negotiations have since been entered into by which it is hoped that the Washburn legacy may becombined with that given to the city by the late George Jaques.
Medfield State Asylum
In accordance with the provisions of chapter 445 of the Acts of 1890, land was purchased in Medfield more thana year ago, for the purpose of erecting thereon an asylum for the chronic insane, and plans for the buildings wereprepared; but no further legislation has been reached in the matter. The Board urgently recommends the passageof an Act, early in the coming session, providing for the building of an Asylum on the cottage system, in accordancewith plans already submitted, in order that the overcrowded hospitals may be relieved with the least possible delay.How pressing is the need of such action may readily be inferred from the statement that, on September 30, 1891,the six State institutions for the insane, viz., the Danvers, Northampton, Taunton, Westborough, and WorcesterHospitals, and the Worcester Asylum, contained an aggregate of 3,679 patients, or an excess of 729 over their reportednormal capacity.
Massachusetts Hospital for Dipsomaniacs and Inebriates
The construction of the buildings for this Hospital, at Foxborough, was begun last March. The buildings are alreadyroofed in, and it is expected that the Hospital will be ready for opening some time in the Spring.
Massachusetts School for the Feeble Minded - Waltham
The new buildings at Waltham are well situated and convenient, being erected with express attention to the peculiarneeds of the patients, and it is believed that they are not excelled by any similar institution in the country.Thebuildings are entirely completed, and all the inmates have been removed into them from South Boston.
Many of the inmates are able to labor, the large boys and men working on the farm; and the older girls and thewomen assisting in the work of the household. In this way the expenses of the institution are materially lessened.A marked feature of the School is the presence of a large number of girls and young women whose feeble intellects,were they exposed to temptation, would readily lead them into sexual error. Here they are shielded and kept fromwrong.
The management of the School is in entirely competent and faithful hands.
Hospital Cottages for Children - Baldwinville
The institution is owned by a corporation, but, under the law of 1890, a majority of the trustees must be appointedby the Governor.
Epileptic children are received and treated, and orthopedic cases requiring a long treatment.
At the beginning of the official year the institution contained 63 children ; at the close of the year the numberhad increased to 86. There are accommodations for about 125. The buildings are well planned and constructed, andthe management of the unfortunate inmates is kind and judicious.
This Institution was incorporated and opened in 1882. The Legislature of 1887 appropriated the sum of $10,000 forthe payment of its debts, the purchase of land, and other objects; and at the same time authorized the State Boardof Lunacy and Charity to send to the Institution '' the aggregate number of ten children and no more, afflictedwith epilepsy or other chronic diseases, to be maintained free of expense to the Commonwealth for the term of oneyear from the date of their respective admissions thereto," it being provided that the children selected shouldbe approved by the Trustees and Superintendent of the Corporation, and it being also provided that two of the Trusteesshould be appointed by the Governor and Council. The Legislature of 1889 made an appropriation of $55,000, to beexpended in the erection of three brick buildings,according to plans approved by the Governor and Council, andprovided that such number of children should be maintained at the Institution, without expense to the Commonwealth,as the State Board and the Trustees should agree upon. The Legislature of 1890 appropriated the further sum of$30,000 for completing and furnishing the buildings, on the condition that a majority of the Trustees should beappointed by the Governor and Council. The Legislature of 1892 provided for the appointment of Trustees by theGovernor and Council. The classes of cases cared for are :
1. Those under fourteen years of age suffering from epileptic or epileptic form seizures.
2. Children suffering from other nervous disorders, not feeble-minded.
3. Children with deformities, with disease of hip, knee and other joints, spinal disease, infantile paralysis andother affections where the disorder is likely to require a long residence in a hospital.
4. Cases needing operation or fitting of supports, where this may be done by a residence of a few weeks or less.In such cases the children return to their homes as soon as the appliances are fitted, and are brought to the Hospitalat intervals for observation.
At the beginning of the official year the Institution contained 86 children; at the close of the year there were97.
Of the latter 60 were epileptics, 6 had hip disease, 6 infantile paralysis, 12 cerebral paralysis, and the remainderdifferent diseases requiring hospital treatment.
The new buildings of the Institution are well adapted to their purpose, the management is excellent, and the childrenreceive true home care and attention. Two recent epidemics of scarlet fever emphasize the need of a stricter quarantineof new arrivals.
Boston Lunatic Hospital
Location: First Street, South Boston.
The building for the use of this Institution was commenced in 1837, and completed in November, 1839. It was enlargedby the addition of two wings in 1846. It occupies, including the yards and garden, about four and a half acresof land. The Hospital was, at first, intended particularly for the benefit of the insane of Boston; but for manyyears certain of the State pauper insane were accommodated there. None now remain, however; and since December,1871, not only these, but the city insane, have been sent by the Judge of Probate to the State Hospital at Taunton.The Hospital is under the management of the Board of Directors for Public Institutions. Office at 30 PembertonSquare. Patients are committed to the Hospital under the Acts and Resolves of Massachusetts for 1862, chap. 223.
On the 1st of May, 1874, there were 196 patients in the Hospital.
This Hospital, opened 1839, in South Boston, with a branch in Dorchester, is a municipal institution; but, likeall receptacles for the insane in the State, it is subject to periodical visitation and inspection by the Board.On October 1, 1890, it contained 381 patients. During the year, 155 were admitted, and 106 discharged, leaving430 on September 30, 1891, of whom 242 were at South Boston, and 188 at Dorchester. Of those discharged, 40 died,and 19 are reported as having recovered. The inmates of this Hospital have the best care and treatment at the handsof the Superintendent and his assistants that is possible under the circumstances, but the main buildings are adisgrace to the city.
At the beginning of the official year it contained : men, 194; women, 232 ; total, 426. Admitted during the year:men, 65; women, 31; total, 96.
Discharged during the year: men, 61; women, 53 ; total, 114. Remaining September 30, 1892: men, 198; women, 210;total, 408.
Of those discharged, 22 were discharged as recovered, 13 as much improved, and 8 as improved.
The Hospital buildings are without question the worst in the State, and steps are being taken towards the erectionof new ones.
The inmates have the best care possible under the circumstances, and at all the inspections they have been foundmore comfortable than would be thought possible under the present crowded and generally unfit external conditions.
Deer Island Institutions - Hospital Department, Boston Harbor
The Hospital connected with the public institutions of Boston is located on Deer Island in Boston Harbor, witha branch at Rainsford Island.
During the year ending May 1, 1874, there were admitted 2,270 patients; discharged, 2,195; and 62 remained.
These patients were received from the City Almshouse, the House of Industry, and the House of Reformation for JuvenileOffenders.
The Hospital is under the care of the Board of Directors for Public Institutions. Office at 30 Pemberton Square.
McLean Asylum - Somerville
This Hospital is owned by a corporation; it is a branch of the Massachusetts General Hospital. During the year,308 cases were treated, eight of the patients being supported at the expense of the Asylum. There were 38 recoveries,and 20 deaths. On September 30, 1891, 176 patients remained. With kind and sympathetic medical care, and the assistanceof a corps of trained nurses, the needs of the inmates of this institution are fully met so far as is practicableunder the adverse conditions of a location which becomes more noisy and more objectionable every year, and withbuildings containing many dark and cheerless wards, and in other respects unsuited to their purpose.
No hospital excels this in thorough, scientific and efficient work. The patients receive the best of care and treatment,and are surrounded by all the comforts that a wise expenditure of money can furnish. The surroundings of the Institutionare objectionable in many ways, and it will soon be removed to a more suitable site in the town of Belmont, wherenew buildings are now in process of erection. The new Asylum will be on high ground, upon property which has beenin the possession of the Corporation for many years, awaiting a favorable opportunity for building. This institution,which was the first to establish training schools in insane asylums, has a large corps of nurses, and instructionin nursing is given to both sexes. The graduates of the School are in great demand for positions as instructorsand heads of other schools.
The Channing Home
30 McLean Street, Boston.
Established in May, 1857, by Miss Harriet Ryan (the late Mrs. Albee), through the assistance of friends whom shehad drawn into sympathy with her benevolent purpose.
It was incorporated in 1861. This is not a Hospital in the common acceptation of the word, but a home for incurables,for those whose early death seems quite certain, or for those who will probably live for a long time, but needingconstant medical attendance. Some of the patients have been inmates of the Home for many years, and no pay is takenfrom any of them. Application for admission must be made to the matrons, at the Home. The Institution has accommodationsfor fourteen inmates.
During the year ending April 1, 1874, 13 patients were admitted, 8 died, 5 were discharged, and 15 remained inthe Home.
House of the Good Samaritan.
6 McLean Street, Boston.
Incorporated in 1860, for the care and treatment of sick women and girls, and of boys below six years of age, especiallythose suffering under diseases of long duration.
Patients must make personal application at the House at 9 o'clock on any day except Sunday. Terms of admissionfree.
During the year ending December 31, 1873,119 patients were treated in the Institution, making the whole numbersince the opening of the Institution 1,064.
It is supported by voluntary contributions and from the income of its funds.
Old Harbor Street, South Boston.
Established in June, 1863, and incorporated in 1865, for the purpose of affording relief to the sick poor. In 1868a large and commodious brick structure was erected for the use of the sick. Both acute and chronic cases are received,contagious diseases excepted. The Institution is in charge of Romanist Sisters of Charity, but receives patientsof all denominations. Application for admission must be made at the Hospital. The rate of board for pay-patients,treated inllie wards, is $5or $6 per week.
The Hospital contains also a number of rooms for private patients, who pay from $10 to $25 a week.
Patients occupying private rooms may be attended by their own physicians, so long as they conform to the rulesof the Institution.
St. Ann's Infant Asylum and Lying-in Hospital.
Old Harbor Street, South Boston.
Founded by Romanist Sisters of Charity in September, 1868, and incorporated in September, 1870, as an institutionfor the maintenance and support of foundlings, orphan and half-orphan children. It also accommodates deserving,indigent females during their confinement in childbirth.
For the year 1872, 80 patients and 294 destitute infant children were received. It is now carried on in a partof the Carney Hospital, while a suitable place is to be secured for a separate institution. Application shouldbe made to the Sister Superior at the Institution.
St. Joseph's Home for Sick and Destitute Servant Girls.
45 East Brookline Street, Boston.
Incorporated in 1867, for the purposes of providing a home for, and otherwise aiding, sick and destitute servantgirls. It included under its organization a hospital for the treatment of diseases, especially those of an incurablecharacter, and for women who have become exhausted and unwell while at their work, and need a temporary respite.The Institution has 90 beds ; of which 21 are devoted to the hospital department. The Institution was organizedby, and is under the charge of the Sisters of St. Francis. Application for admission must be made at the Home.
St. Elizabeth's Hospital.
78 Waltham Street, Boston.
Established in 1867, by the Sisters of St. Francis, for the treatment of the medical and surgical diseases peculiarto womem. It is especially intended for patients in moderate circumstances who can afford to pay only a low rateof board and moderate fees for medical attendance. The institution has 38 beds. Applications for admission mustbe made to the Sister Superior at the Hospital. (S6)
The Children's Hospital.
1429 Washington Street, Boston.
The Hospital was founded in 1869, for the purpose of providing medical and surgical treatment for the diseasesof children, and for the attainment and diffusion of knowledge regarding the diseases incident to childhood. Itreceived an act of incorporation February 26, 1869.
Patients between the ages of 2 and 12, suffering from acute diseases, are received at the Hospital. No patientis admitted whose case is considered chronic or incurable, unless there be urgent symptoms, which, in the opinionof the medical staff, are capable of being relieved; nor will any be admitted having an infectious or contagiousdisease. Application for admission may be made any day at 9 A.M. ; but accidents and other cases of an urgent characterwill be received at any time. The beds in the Hospital are free to those who are really poor; but a moderate chargeis made to those who are able to pay. Patients from beyond the limits of the city will be received on payment ofnot less than $4 a week. The Hospital has 30 beds. During the year ending December 27, 1873, 99 patients had beenreceived at the Hospital; and since its organization, 377. Of these, 123 had been discharged, 40 of whom were well; 21 remained under treatment. The immediate care of the Hospital and the nursing is intrusted to ladies connectedwith the Protestant Episcopal Sisterhood of St. Margaret's, from East Griustead, England. In the summer of 1874the Hospital established a Sanitarium in the town of Weston, for the use of its convalescents.
St. Luke's Home.
7 Florence Street, Boston.
Organized October 18, 1870, and incorporated January 1, 1872, for the purpose of providing gratuitous medical treatmentto women and children convalescent from disease, and to the poor in the neighborhood of the Home. In June, 1873,the Trustees opened a Sanitarium at Quisset, in the town of Falmouth, where patients can have the advantage ofcountry air during the summer months.
In the Home, 13 patients can be accommodated. Private patients are admitted at the discretion of the physicians,on payment of board. During the year ending September 30,1873, 96 patients were treated. Patients are admittedon application to the physician in attendance, either at the Home or at his residence.
The Protestant Episcopal Sisters of St. Luke have the immediate care of the Home.
Greenwood Institute. - Private
Greenwood, Wakefield - Office, 18 Pemberton Square, Boston.
This Institution, situated at Greenwood, eight miles from Boston, on the Boston and Maine Railroad, was organizedin June, 1870, for the reception and treatment patients of either sex suffering from disease or derangement ofthe nervous system, caused by overtaxing the brain, by too sedentary habits, or the excessive or injudicious useof alcoholic or narcotic stimulants.
The terms for board and treatment are from $15 to $30 a week, varying according to the accommodations requiredfor patients. In cases requiring extraordinary care and attention, there will be a proportionate extra charge.Payment required in advance.
Patients are expected to remain at least three months, unless sooner cured.
41 Waltham Street, Boston.
Organized in 1857, and incorporated in 1859, for the cure of inebriates who wish to reform.
Persons having a permanent home within the State, whose circumstances render it imperatively necessary, may beadmitted to a free bed: all other persons will be charged for their board, according to their ability to pay, andthe rooms, attendance, and accommodations furnished them. Application can be made to the Superintendent at theHome, at any hour. A recommendation by some responsible person is required. The whole number of patients undercharge from the opening of the Home until April 30, 1873, was 4,087; and the number for nineteen months precedingthat date was 397. The Institution can furnish accommodations to forty inmates.
The Charlestown Free Dispensary
Organized April 25, 1872, in response to the suggestion of a physician of Charlestown, and opened May 1, was keptin operation for the reception and treatment of patients on three days of the week for the space of a year. Inthat time 685 patients had been treated. At meetings of the managers held in October and November, 1872, it wasdecided to ask for an act of incorporation, which would include a hospital when such an institution seemed desirable.
The act was granted March 4, 1873. Advice and treatment are given to patients in the Dispensary department on Mondays,Wednesdays, and Fridays, from 10 to 12 A.M.
Organized in 1867, and incorporated in 1869, for sick and disabled persons, residents of Cambridge. The Hospitalwas first opened for the care of women and children; but it is hoped that it will be the beginning of a GeneralHospital for Cambridge for the treatment of both sexes. At present the Hospital is not in active operation ; butits organization remains the same.
Established in 1839, and supported by the manufacturing corporations of Lowell, for the benefit of the operativesin their employ.
St. John's Hospital.
High Street Square, Lowell.
The Hospital was opened for the care of the needy poor of the city of Lowell, and especially such as work in themills, under an act of incorporation, dated March 14, 1867.
Patients are admitted on the lowest possible terms, at from $5 to $10 per week. If patients are able to pay, theyare expected to do so. No cases of infectious diseases, or confirmed insanity or inebriation, when known, are received.The nursing is supplied by Romanist Sisters of Charity. The Hospital has 60 beds.
St. Joseph's Hospital.
Campbell and Pleasant Streets, New Bedford.
Opened for the reception of patients June 21, 1873. The Hospital is under the control of the Sisters of Mercy,and has beds for 10 patients.
Patients having means are required to pay four weeks board in advance; females and males $7.00 per week.
Private rooms are provided for such as desire special accommodation. Applications for admission are to be madeat the Hospital between 9 and 10 daily.
Chronic cases will not be retained longer than may be necessary for relief of urgent symptoms.
Boston Hood, Springfield.
Patients apply for admission to one of the Board of Trustees. A payment of $5.00 per week must be guaranteed forboard and care. Patients supply physicians of their own choice, if able to pay, or can apply for the services ofthe city physician.
Bewnet and Ash Streets, Boston.
Founded in 1796, and incorporated in 1801. This was the first institution of the kind in Boston, and .the thirdin the United States. No one of the charities of Boston is more modest in its demands, more silent in its work,or more useful in its deeds. It is supported entirely by funds heretofore contributed, and by private charity.It does not receive any support or assistance from the city. At present the operations of the Dispensary are extendedonly over those portions known as the city proper, East and South Boston. The remaining portions of the city areotherwise provided for. The Central Office is situated near the centre of population, and is convenient of access.It was opened for use in 1856, and now accommodates out-patients, who come for treatment between the hours of 9and 12. Physicians are in attendance daily, who treat respectively men, women, children, and surgical cases. At10 o'clock daily, dental patients are treated; at 11, those suffering from diseases of the skin; and at the samehour, cases of nervous diseases.
In addition to the service at the Central Office, the city is divided into nine districts; and to each one is assigneda physician, whose duty it is to care for those unable to leave their homes. Medicines are given out at the CentralOffice daily, from 8 A.M. to 7 P.M.; on Sundays, from 1 to 2 P.M.; and, on legal holidays, from 9 to 10 A.M. SinceJuly 1, 1856, 389,139 patients have been treated at the Central Office and in the districts. During the year endingOctober 1, 1873, 13,119 medical cases and 4,247 surgical cases were treated at the Central Office, and 9,982 casesin the districts, an aggregate of 27,348 patients. The number of recipes given, 51,359. The average daily attendanceat the Office was 120. The services of the staff are rendered gratuitously at the Central Office; in the districts,the physicians receive a moderate compensation. Students are permitted to attend the practice of the physiciansand surgeons, on Tuesday and Friday, at 9 o'clock.
The annual meeting of the Corporation is held on the second Thursday in October. (S6)
Boston Dispensary for Skin Diseases
241 Harrison Avenue, Boston.
The Dispensary was organized, and a building opened to the public, January 29, 1872. The object of the Institutionis to supply, gratis, advice and medicines to such persons among the poorer classes as may be afflicted with anydisease of the skin, and are unable, for any reason, to obtain suitable treatment elsewhere ; and to advance thescience of medicine as far as regards such diseases.
The Dispensary is open Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, at 11.30 A.M. Patients who are able are required to purchasetheir own medicines; but those unable-to do so are supplied gratuitously, subject to the discretion of the physician.Well-to-do sufferers, not properly the subjects for Dispensary treatment, especially those from the country, whoare absolutely ignorant where to go for proper treatment, and therefore tend to fall an easy prey to the quack,are not treated, but are referred to reputable practitioners for advice.
During the year ending February 4, 1874, 516 patients had received advice and treatment. The number treated sincethe opening of the institution was about 1,300.
The Dispensary is supported solely by voluntary contributions [annual subscriptions]. Physicians in good standing,and medical students of both sexes, are admitted as visitors
Dispensary for Diseases of Women.
18 Stamford Street, Boston.
Organized in 1873, for the treatment of the diseases peculiar to women.
Organized in 1820, and incorporated in February, 1831. The city is divided into two districts, to each of whichis assigned a physician and an apothecary. The object of this Institution is the relief of the poor, by affordingmedicines and medical advice gratuitously.
Perkins Institution and Massachusetts Asylum for the Blind.
East Broadway, South Boston.
Founded in 1828. Young blind persons, of good moral character, can be admitted to the Institution by paying $300per annum. This sum covers all expenses, except for clothing;
namely, board, washing, medicines, instruction, the use of books, musical instruments, &c. The pupils mustfurnish their own clothing, and pay their own fares to and from the Institution. The friends of the pupils canvisit them whenever they choose. Indigent blind persons, of suitable age and character, belonging to Massachusetts,can be admitted gratuitously by application to the Governor for a warrant. The form employed will be furnishedand all inquiries will be answered, on application at the office and salesroom of the Institution, 20 BromfieldStreet. The number of inmates September 30, 1873, was 170.
Boston Asylum and Farm School for Indigent Boys.
Thompson's Island, Boston Harbor.
The Institution bearing this name was incorporated in 1835, and was formed by the union of two earlier organizations,the Boston Asylum for Indigent Boys and the Proprietors of the Boston Farm School. The first originated in 1813,and the second in 1832. Its object is to provide a good home for those boys who have lost one or both parents,and have no homes of their own. The boys are either received with the understanding that their board is to be paid,in which case they can be taken away at any time, or they are given up to the Farm School, and remain until suchtime as the Directors see fit to apprentice them where they can learn to support themselves. The usual number ofboys is 100.
Temporary Home for the Destitute.
1 Pine Place, Boston.
This Institution is sustained by an organization formed in February, 1817, and due to the efforts of John Augustus,a poor shoemaker, and Eliza Garnaut, two benevolent citizens of Boston. It was incorporated in February, 1852,for the temporary reception of persons, over nine months of age, with the purpose of securing them permanent homes.Lately a few infants have been received. Relief is gratuitous. No prescribed time, or conditions of admission.Since the opening of the Home 5,000 persons have been cared for.
The house will accommodate about 30.
Massachusetts School for Idiotic and Feeble-Minded Youth.
Organized in 1848. Children of indigent parents in Massachusetts can secure gratuitous admission by applicationto the Governor. For others a small charge is made, proportionate to the means of the parents, and the troubleand cost of treating them.
Children's Mission to the Children of the Destitute.
277 Tremont Street, Boston,
Organized 1849, and incorporated April, 1864, to foster in the minds of the young a spirit of Christian sympathyand active benevolence, and to adopt such measures as shall rescue from vice and degradation the morally exposedchildren of the city. Destitute children, of either sex, between five and thirteen years of age, are received foradoption, or for temporary residence in worthy families. Persons in want of such children are invited, to calland see them. A list of children, under five years of age, who are in readiness for adoption, is kept at the Mission.The business of the Society is conducted at the Home on Tremont Street, from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. from April to October,and from 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. from October to April.
Home for Aged Women.
Revere Street, Boston.
Incorporated in April, 1849, and organized in October following, for the purpose of providing for the support ofaged indigent females not otherwise cared for American-born women not less than sixty years of age, who have residedin Boston during the ten years preceding their application for admission, may be received by vote of the Boardof Managers. The sum of $150 is required to be paid in each case, before admission, and the surrender of propertyto the Home. The Home contains accommodations for 100 inmates; and rooms for 20 more can be constructed, if needed.
Home for Aged Colored Women.
27 Myrtle Street, Boston.
Organized in 1860, at the suggestion of Mrs. K. P. Clarke, and incorporated in 1864, for aged colored women ofgood character, who are unable to take care of themselves. If able, or if they have friends able to assist them,the beneficiaries are obliged to pay a small amount toward their maintenance.
Application for admission may be made at the Home at any time. The Home has accommodation for 20 inmates.
Home for Aged Men.
133 Wett Springfield Street, Boston.
Incorporated 1860. Respectable indigent men, born in the United States of America, who are at least fifty-fiveyears of age, and have resided in Boston during the ten years next preceding their application for relief, maybe placed on the list of beneficiaries, by vote of the Directors. They may be received into the Home, and be supportedtherein by relatives or friends, in whole or in part, or at the sole expense of the Corporation, as the circumstancesor necessities of the case may seem to require. The Directors may also, if they deem it expedient, aid any of themin their own homes. As a general rule, those received, who are to be supported entirely by the Corporation, willbe required to pay $100 entrance money, and to provide furniture for their patients. On the 1st of January, 1873,the Home gave assistance to 37 beneficiaries within and 16 outside the Home. Applications for admission to theHome, or for aid out, must be made by the applicant, in person, if possible, on Friday, at 4 P.M., at the Home.
Boston North End Mission.
201 North Street, Boston.
Established in 1865, and incorporated in 1870, for the purpose of promoting the spiritual welfare and improvingthe social and moral condition of the vicious and degraded portion of the community, by furnishing them counseland assistance, as well as the comforts of a home. The Mission is located in the midst of one of the most denselypopulated and most degraded portions of the city. Its doors are open throughout the day and evening, to alleviatewant and distress, to shelter the outcast, and to guide the erring. A reading-room, chapel, restaurant, industrialschool, and work rooms are offered freely to every one who wishes to enjoy them. In 1872 the estate at Mount Hope,comprising about five acres, was purchased, and here is carried on a variety of employments, such as sewing ofall kinds (by machine and by hand), laundry work, gardening, and, as far as practicable, floriculture. Domesticservice in its several branches is also taught.The "Mission Magazine," published quarterly, is intendedto discuss the methods of elevating the degraded population of cities, and to give practical examples and fullreports of the work carried on by the Mission.
City Temporary Home.
Bureau of Charity, Chardon Street, Boston.
The Temporary Home, under the charge of the Overseers of the Poor, is designed to furnish provision for foundlingsand persons in a destitute condition. Only women and children can be lodged there; but meals are given to deservingpersons, on application to the Overseers or Matron. Church Home for Orphan and Destitute Children. Broadway, cornerof N Street, South Boston. Organization formed for the care of destitute children of all nationalities. Boys admittedfrom four to six years of age, and retained until ten; girls received under eight years of age. Children of bothsexes will be taken entire charge of, and provided with good homes when they arrive at a suitable age; or willbe received for one, two, or three years, to be returned to their parents at the end of that time. Children alsoadmitted for shorter time, on payment of board. The Institution receives 100 inmates. Application for admissionmust be made to Mrs. C. O. Whitmore, 14 Beacon Street; Mrs. Joseph Kidder, 12 Lynde Street; or Mrs. E. D. Peters,6 Newbury Street.
Roxbury Home for Children and Aged Women.
Copeland Street, Roxbury, Boston.
Organized in 1856, to provide a home for orphan or half orphan children, and for old women of small means, havingno near kindred to care personally for them.
Two dollars a week are charged for the board of children, and four dollars for women. The number of inmates isfrom 16 to 20, the proportions of women and children varying.
Infant School and Children's Home.
36 Austin Street, Charlestown, Boston.
Organized as the Charlestown Infant School Association in 1833, and reorganized in 1869 under its present title,as an Institution for the protection and care of destitute children. Those living or born in Charlestown are preferred.It can at present accommodate about 25 inmates. The Institution is supported by voluntary subscriptions.
Winchester Home for Aged Women.
12 Eden Street, Charlestown, Boston.
This Institution, founded in October, 1865, is intended as a home for American-born women, over sixty years ofage, who have resided in Charlestown for at least ten years, and are in destitute circumstances. Applicants foradmission as inmates are received on probation for three months, after which residence is continued or terminatedat the discretion of the Board of Managers. As a general rule, the sum of $100 is paid, and the furniture of aroom furnished, for each inmate on entrance. Persons are occasionally admitted as boarders, but not to the exclusionof those entirely dependent. The building now occupied by the Home accommodates about 30 inmates.
Massachusetts Infant Asylum.
Walnut Street, Brookline.
The Institution was incorporated May 15, 1867, for the purpose of assisting and providing for deserted and destituteinfant children. The classes of children, for whom support is provided, are foundlings, whose parentage is unknown;infants deserted by their known parents, or left orphans at a tender age; the infant children of women unable tosupport them entirely, who can pay a part of their cost or can take some part in the care of them. These classesare received in the order of their necessities. About 30 children are in the Asylum at once. As many mothers areretained as wet nurses as the necessities of the Institution demand. Infants are also sent to good nurses outsidethe Asylum, either by procuring their adoption or by paying their hoard. In carrying out their object, the Directorsendeavor, at all times, to keep in mind the true relations between parents, when living, and their children, andobtain the support of the child from its parents or kindred, whenever it can be done. Application for the admissionof infants must be made to the Secretary of the Committee on Admissions, Miss Parker, 1277 Washington Street, Boston,on Wednesday, between 9 and 11. No child, born out of the State, is received, except under the provisions of thelaw; nor is any child taken if over nine months of age. All children are submitted to medical examination beforeadmission. Application for children for adoption may be made to the matron at the Asylum, or to a member of theAdoption Committee. During the year ending April 7, 1874, 77 children were received; and 343 from the organizationof the Asylum. The percentage of deaths in the year was 19.48, which is lower than in any European institutionof similar character.
Appleton Temporary Home - Boston
48 West Fourth Street
Boston Association of the Evangelical Lutheran Church for Works of Mercy- West Roxbury
Association for the Protection of Destitute Roman Catholic Children - Boston
Harrison Avenue, corner Concord Street.
Baldwin Place Home for Little Wanderers, Baldwin Place. - Boston
Episcopal City Mission, 14 Oxford Street - Boston
Boston Fatherless and Widows' Society. - Boston
Boston Female Orphan Asylum, . - Boston
750 Washington Street
Boston Flower Mission, Hollis Street Chapel - Boston
Home for Aged Poor - Boston
Dudley Street and Woodward Avenue, Roxbury. - Boston
House of the Angel Guardian - Boston
85 Vernon Street, Roxbury.
House of the Good Shepherd, - Boston
Tremont Street, oppo. Parker Hill Avenue.
Industrial School for Girls, Centre Street, Dorchester.
New England Hospital for Women and Children, - Boston
Penitent Female's Refuge, - Boston
32 Rutland Street
St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum, - Boston
Camden Street, corner of Shawmut Avenue.
Temporary Asylum for Discharged Female Prisoners. - Dedham
City Orphan Asylum.- Salem
Plummer Farm School, Winter Island - Salem
Home for Friendless Women and Children,-Springfield
Home for Aged Females, - Worcester
St. Vincent De Pauls Female Orphan Asylum.
No. 40 Purchase Street.
Orphans, 43; Sisters of Charity, 6 ; number of Scholars at Day School, 280.
The gross receipts of the Catholic Fair (according to the Courier) recently held in Faneuil Hall, for the benefitof the St. Vincent de Paul Orphan Asylum, were $3,775,93. After deducting 8275,02 for expenses, the directors havethe handsome sum of $3,500,96 in their hands, which is to be expended in paying off the old debt (about$ 1,200)and supporting the Institution. We understand that a wealthy Catholic gentleman of this city intimated to the Sistersof Charity, that, if $3,000 were realized by the Fair, he would make a donation of $5,000 towards the purchaseof the building adjoining the Asylum, with a view of enlarging its capacity to do good. (S11)
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails