Massachusetts logo

Middlesex County, Massachusetts
Obituaries and Death Notices

At Somerville, Sept. 27, Rev. Joshua J. Laighton, of Portsmouth, N. H., 28. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Sept. 29, 1860, contributed by K.T.]

In Cambridgeport, Sept. 3, of consumption, Mrs. Julia Ann, wife of Henry Lakin, 46. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Sept. 29, 1860]

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
25, Daniel Leary, 2 days, infantile.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

The funeral of Mrs. Corinne Leduc took place from her late home, 683 Lakeview avenue yesterday. A funeral mass was celebrated at St. Joseph's church by Rev. Fr. Brullard, O.M.I. The bearers were: B. Motard, A. Gendron, B. Varley and A. Dubois. Burial was in St. Patrick's cemetery, where the committal prayers were read by Rev. Fr. Viaud, O.M.I. [Nov 6, 1903 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

Livermore, Edward St. Loe, formerly member of Cong. from Essex North District - died in Tewksbury, Mass., 15 Sept 1832, age 70. [25 Sept 1832, National Intelligencer, contributed by aFoFG]

Died. Henry Cabot Lodge, 74, of Massachusetts; in Cambridge, Mass. (He was interred in the Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Massachusetts) [Time Magazine, Monday, Nov. 17, 1924, submitted by aFoFG]

Died as suddenly on Thursday evening, the 5th, inst. at her residence in Cambridge , Mass. , Julia A., wife of Benjamin Lombard. [The Courier, Henry, IL 15 Nov 1857, submitted by aFoFG]

Edward Jackson Lowell
Barnstable Patriot, Saturday, September 18, 1830; Page: 3
Died in Waltham, Edward Jackson Lowell, Esq., of Boston, aged 25, youngest son of the late Francis C. Lowell, Esq.

Mildred (Cheney) Lunn, 93, died yesterday, May 1, 1999, at Saints Memorial Medical Center in Lowell. She was the wife of Albert G. Lunn. She was born in Lowell on June 11, 1905, a daughter of the large George and Betha (Hartt) Cheney. Prior to retirement, Mrs. Lunn had been employed as a teacher in the Dracut School System. She previously had taught in the Tewksbury School System. She held membership in the Retired Teachers Association of Massachusetts. Mrs. Lunn was an avid and devoted member of the First Church of the Nazarene where she was secretary of the Official Church Board. She also served with the World Mission Society, the church choir and taught Sunday school. She was very active on the board of patrons of the River Valley House. She and her husband were active with the Senior Bowling League of Salem N.H.
Mildred demonstrated her love for others by knitting many tiny sweater outfits for various newborns of the church family. She was a joyful woman who never had a negative word to say about anyone, and she was never without her devoted husband, Albert, by her side. We will miss her.
Besides her husband, survivors include a sister-in-law, Janice Lunn of Lowell; seven nephews and their spouses, Vernon Cheney of Vermont, Mr. & Mrs. Richard Cheney of North Chelmsford, Mr. & Mrs. Ralph Cheney and George Cheney, all of California, Mr. & Mrs. Victor Yeomans of Maine, Mr. & Mrs. Dana Yeomans of North Chelmsford and Mr. & Mrs. Walter Yeomans of Framingham. [Contributed by Mrs. Carole Dick]

Death of a Printer - The oldest printer in Mass., William MANNING, died in Cambridgeport on Wednesday, in his 84th year. [Aug. 7, 1849, Daily Missouri Republican, St. Louis- submitted by aFoFG]

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
23, George Mason, 36, accident.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

At Medford, 1st inst., Grace W. Mason, wife of Mr. Andrew B. Mason, 78. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Sept. 29, 1860, contributed by K.T.]

County Name: Middlesex State: MA Newspaper: Winthrop News Date: 11/8/1923 Obit: Ex-Governor S.W. McCall Dies. Winchester, Mass.-Sammuel W. McCall, governor of Masschusetts from 1916 to 1919, and representative of the Eight Massachuesstts district in Congress form 1893 to 1913, died at his home here of Pneumonia. The former governor was born in east Providence, Penn., and was graduated at Dartmouth college. For many years he practiced law in Boston, and at one time served as edior-inchief of a Boston newspaper. For 40 years he had taken a leading par in state and national affairs as a Republican. Wintrhop New, Nov. 8, 1923, page 7 Winthrop, MN

Alice McElroy, aged 57 years, died yesterday morning at her home, 172 Church street. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Timothy Keefe and Miss Annie McElroy; one son, Bernard; one sister, Mrs. Annie Gormley of Somerville; and two brothers, Patrick McQuade of this city and James of Ireland. [Nov 9, 1903 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

All that was mortal of the late John A. McCluskey was consigned to its final resting place in the Catholic cemetery this morning. The funeral took place from his late hoem, 294 West Manchester street at 8:30 o'clock and proceeded to the Sacred Heart church, where a high mass of requiem was celebrated at nine o'clock by
Rev. Fr. Tresche, O.M.I. The choir under the direction of Mrs. Thomas H. Muldoon sang the gregorial mass and during the service several appropriate selections were rendered by different members of the choir.
The bearers were Messrs, Thomas Ledwidge, John J. Daly, William Bowen, Henry Conley, James Rooney and Julian Mercere. Present at tjhe funeral was the following delegation from North Billerica Council Royal Areanum: John Conley, John Meehan, John J. Conley and Thomas Sledden. The interment was in the Catholic cemetery where the last and rites of the church were solemnized by Rev. Fr. Tresche, O.M.I. The funeral was under the direction of Funeral Director Charles H. Molloy. [Nov 9, 1903 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
27, Susanna McManus, 6, consumption.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

Dec 1866 - Nov 1966
Arthur E. Mellen was the son of John Loring Mellen,. Arthur E. Mellen married Lillian Ada Hartt, daughter of Samuel Hartt and Mary Jane Hayes in Lowell in 1891. They had nine children: Myrtle Beatrice, Earl Rufus, Raymond Arthur, Hazel Belle, Judah Hartt, Ida Pearl, Theodore Orrin, Dorothy Mae and Marjorie Eudora. Arthur had worked his way up from office boy to become a printer by trade, and foreman at the Courier Citizen plant at Lowell. There he supervised the huge press that printed the first telephone directory in New England, that for the city of Boston. He died six weeks short of the century mark on 13 November 1966, being preceded by his wife Lillian Mellen who died 20 January 1951. They were buried at Edson cemetery in Lowell. [Contributed by Mrs. Carole Dick]

1894 - 1975
Services for Earl R. Mellen, 81, of Wyoming Avenue, were to be held today at 10 a.m. in Morrow Memorial Methodist Church, Maplewood. Mr. Mellen a former president of Weston Instruments, Newark, and a former chairman of the Hospital Service Plan of New Jersey (Blue Cross), died Monday at home.
Born in Lowell, Mass., he lived here since 1929. He was a 1916 graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology and had been employed by Weston Instruments for 47 years before his retirement in 1959.
Mr. Mellen was active in civic affairs both here and in Newark. He served as chairman of the local Planning Board, and was a past president of the Newark Chamber of Commerce and the Newark Rotary Club. He had been a director of the Newark Museum, the Howard Savings Bank and the Commercial Insurance Co., both of Newark; the National Industrial Conference Board and the Newark YM-YWCA. He was a chairman of the Hospital Service Plan of New Jersey.
Mr. Mellen was involved in Boy Scouts affairs and served as vice president of the Robert Treat Council. He was the recipient of the Scouts' Silver Beaver Award. He was a member of the N.J. Association of Credit Executives, a director of Caluilagraph and a member of Kane Lodge F&AM, Newark.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Isabel Holloway Mellen; four sons, Earl R. Mellen Jr.; Howard G. Mellen, Raymond R. Mellen and Walter R. Mellen; two daughters. Mrs. Joan Walsh and Mrs. Carol Wick; five sisters, Miss Myrtle Mellen, Mrs. Marjorie Blake, Mrs. Edwin Jacques, Mrs. John Prescott, Mrs. Harry Smith; two brothers, Judah Mellen and Raymond Mellen, and 16 grandchildren. [The Millburn Item Thursday Nov. 6 1975, Contributed by Mrs. Carole Dick]

John Loring Mellen was born in 7 Oct.1827 in Swanzey, Cheshire, NH. He settled in Lowell, Mass around 1843. In 1856 John married Venetia Ruby Cline of Swanton, Vermont. He listed in 1863 to serve with the 2nd Massachusetts artillery, being mustered in at Reedsville, Mass, on 11 December 1863, Mustered out in 1865. They made their home at 50 West Fourth Street, Lowell, Mass. After living in Lowell 53 years, John Mellen a member of Post 120 G.A.R. died at the Veterans Hospital in 1896 in his 70th year, with burial in the Edson cemetery at Lowell, MA. His widow Venetia died on 7 January 1930 at the home of her daughter Mrs. Ella (Mellen) Frazee of Bath, Maine, just 3 weeks short of 94 years of age. A member of the Paige Street Baptist Church of Lowell, her funeral service was conducted by Rev. Harry L. Smith, with burial in the Edson cemetery at Lowell. [Contributed by Mrs. Carole Dick]

Mrs. Louisa Melvin
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, August 17, 1831
Died in Concord, Mrs. Louisa, wife of Mr. Emerson Melvin, 27.

At Newbern, N. C., 19th ult., Charles H. Mendell, of Cambridgeport, member of Company I, 23rd Mass. Regt. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Sept. 29, 1860, contributed by K.T.]

At Somerville, 2nd inst., Mrs. Lucy Monroe, wife of William Munroe, 70. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Sept. 29, 1860, contributed by K.T.]

Died, Concord, Mass., after 1841 -[Source: Death Notices of Chicago's Old Settlers, compiled by Robert Fergus, sub. by aFoFG]

Son of Thomas Morong and Jane Catherine Travers; born in Cahawba, Ala., April 15, 1827; came to Massachusetts when fourteen years old; prepared for college at Warren Academy, Woburn, Mass.; graduated at Amherst College, 1848; studied law in Harvard Law School, and with Hon. George W. Warren, Charlestown, 1849-50; took the full course in this Seminary, 1850-53; was licensed to preach by the Woburn Association, March 15, 1853; studied here as resident licentiate, 1853-54. He was ordained at Pepperell, Mass., April 12, 1854, and remained there one year. He was subsequently pastor at Iowa City, Io., 1856-58; Webster, Mass. (stated supply), 1859; Globe Village, Southbridge, Mass., 1860-63; Lanesville, Mass., 1863-68; First Church, Ipswich, Mass., 1868-75; Ashland, Mass., 1876-88. In 1888 he visited South America under the auspices of the Torrey Botanical Club, and made a large collection of plants (mostly in Paraguay) for Smithsonian Institute and Columbia College, a full enumeration of which he published in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. Returning in December, 1890, he was curator of the Herbarium of Columbia College, New York, until his death. He delivered lectures, also, on botany in Barnard College, in the Brooklyn Institute, and at the Summer School, Cold Spring, L.I.
An Ipswich parishioner says of him: “Mr. Morong was not a man of one idea. He was many-sided. This gave variety in his written and spoken addresses and made his conversation both entertaining and instructive. His love for nature in its varying aspects was most attractive. In a series of discourses, enriched by his botanical knowledge, he easily led the hearer up from nature to nature’s God.” Rev. Dr. H.J. Patrick, of West Newton, whose name follows that of Mr. Morong in both the Amherst and Andover catalogues, writes: “He always bore himself with a natural courtesy, which may have come from his Southern birth. He was a bright man, quick and pithy in conversation, an original writer, a fine scholar, especially in the languages, and an observant lover of nature. I remember meeting him in Boston once, when he was pastor in Ashland, and he opened his heart to me, revealing the burden of his anxiety for the spiritual welfare of his young people.” In addition to botanical publications and articles he published The Great Destroyer, a temperance tract, The Beneficence of Pain, and several sermons.
He was married, August 24, 1848, to Mary Lamson Bennett, of Woburn, Mass., daughter of Rev. Joseph Bennett (Class of 1821) and Mary Lamson. She died March 20, 1893. He had two sons: one, a graduate of Amherst and of Harvard Medical School, is a physician in Boston; the other, a graduate of Harvard Dental School, died in South America in 1876.  Mr. Morong died in Boston, of consumption, April 26, 1894, aged sixty-seven years.[Source: Necrology … Andover Theological Seminary (1828 – 1865); tr. by K. Mohler]]

Mr. Eben. Moulton, one of the Senior class at Harvard University [The North American Review, Sept 1815 - Sub. by aFoFG]

At Somerville, 30th ult., her grandchild, Mary Isabel, only daughter of Marcellus and Mary W. Munroe, 1 year 2 months 21 days. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Sept. 29, 1860, contributed by K.T.]

In Newton, May 9, Florence E. (Dezotell), beloved wife of Cornelius F. Murphy, residence of 100 Los Angeles St.; mother of Cornelius F. and James H. Murphy, Mary A. Cugini and Rebecca Allessandro and sister of Joseph, Elmer, George and Alfred Dezotell and Elizabeth Cooper.  Funeral from the Martin E. Conroy Funeral Home, 439 Washington St., Newton, Tuesday at 9 a.m.  High Mass of Requiem in St. Jean’s Church at 10 a.m.  Relatives and friends most kindly invited.  Visiting hours Sunday 7-9, Monday 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. [The Boston Herald (Boston, MA) – Monday, May 11, 1970]

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
24, John H Murphy, 35, consumption
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

Anna S. Oakes
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, November 9, 1831
Died in Malden, Miss Anna S. Oakes, aged 16, daughter of the late Capt. Thomas Oakes.

The funeral of Mrs. Bridget F. (McLean) O'Brien, a highly esteemed member of the Sacred Heart parish, took place this morning from her late home, 93 Blossom street, at 9 o'clock and was largely attended, including relatives and friends from Cambridge, Dorchester and Bermuda. The funeral cortege proceeded to the Sacred Heart church, where at 10 o'clock a solemn high funeral mass was celebrated by Rev. Edeard T. Ward, OMI., assisted by Rev. Thomas J. Haggerty, OMI, as deacon adn Rev. Daniel J. Finnegan, OMI, as sub-deacon. Seated within the sanctuary were Rev. T. Franklin Wood, IMI, Rev. James Flannery, OMI, Rev. William F. Mahan, OMI, Rev. George Fox, IMO, Rev. Bernard Fletcher, OMI, Rev. William B. McFadden, IMI, DCL, and REv. Charles F. Barry, OMI, superior of the Oblate Novitiate at Tewksbury. The santuary choir, under the direction of Mrs. Veronica Barr Gonyea, the organist, sang the Gregorian chant, solos being sustained by Miss Kathleen Jennings, Mrs. Martin Maguire, Masters Thomas Sheehan, Edward Britton and William McGrath.
There was a profusion of beautiful floral offerings and many spritirual bouqets to testify the high esteem in which the deceased was held. Present at the funeral was a delegation of the Holy Rosary sodality of the Sacred Heart church, consisting of Mr.s Bart O'Sullivan, Mrs. Delia Burke, Mrs. Michael Hines, Mrs. Walter Finnegan, Mrs. James Garrity and Mrs. Lillie Cate.
The casket was borne by the following bearers: Messrs. Albert Frazer, Henry Petty, James Cowell, John Chambers, Patrick and Peter McNulty. Burial was in the family lot in St. Patrick's cemetery, where the committal prayers were read at the grave by Rev. Fr. Ward, OMI, assisted by Rev. Fr. Haggerty, OMI, and Rev. Fr. Finnegan, OMI. Funeral arrangements were in charge of Undertakers O'Connell & Fay. [Jan 8, 1932 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

Of Maynard, November 15, 1977 Ethel M. (Rieckenberg) in her 70th year, wife of the late Charles E. Orcutt, mother of Attorney Charles E. Orcutt, Jr. and Warren S. Orcutt both of Acton and Valarie Sirignano of Somers, N.Y., sister of Vera D’Aragon, N.Y., N.Y., also survived by nine grandchildren.  Funeral services will be Thursday, at 8:15 a.m., from the Fowler, Kennedy Funeral Home, 42 Concord St., Maynard, followed by a funeral Mass in St. Elizabeth of Hungry Church West Acton at 9:15 a.m.  Calling hours 7-9 Wed.  Interment will be Valhalla, N.Y.  Fowler, Kennedy Funeral Home  [The Boston Herald American (Boston, MA) – Wednesday, November 16, 1977]

James Parker
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, October 13, 1830; Page: 2
Died in Shirley, James Parker, Esq., aged 86. The deceased was a descendant of his namesake James Parker, who was an original grantee, and well-known in the history of that early period.

Private funeral services for Charles F. Perham were held at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon at Saunders' Funeral home, 90 Westford street. Rev. H. Dwight McConnell, pastor of the Pawtucket Congregational church, officiated. The bearers were Charles F. Weston, Edward Martin, Edgar H. Barker and Joseph Bennett. Burial took place in the family lot in Woodbine cemetery, where the committal service was read by Rev. Mr. McConnell. Funeral arrangements were in the charge of Funeral Direction William H. Saunders. [May 31, 1932 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

Cyrille Piche, a resident of this city for over 30 years, died this morning at his home, 273 West Sixth street, aged 72 years. Deceased leaves to mourn his loss his wife, Mrs. Louis (Frechette) Piche, thre sons, Mr. Arthur Piche, of Middletown, Conn., Mr. Omer iche and Mr. Alphonse Piche, both of Lowell; five daughters, Mrs. Sylvio Emond, Mrs. Noe Clermont, Mrs. Romeo Destrempes, Mrs. Geo. Hebert and Miss Cecile Piche, all of Lowell; four brothers, mr. Theophile Piche of Winooski, Vt., Mr. ERnest Piche of Three Rivers, P.Q., Mr. Arthur Piche and Mr. Joseph Piche, both of Portneuf, P.Q. [May 31, 1932 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

H.D. Pickman, aged 19, a graduate of Harvard University, whose character had inspired sanguine hopes in his friends for his future distinction. [The North American Review, Nov 1815 - Sub. by aFoFG]

The funeral of Jose M. Pitta, youngest son of John G. and Isabel (Abreu) Pitta, took place yesterday afternoon at 1:15 o'clock from the home of his parents, 186 Perkins street, and was attended by relatives and friends. Services were held at St. Anthony's church at 2 o'clock, the pastor, Rev. Joseph T. Grillo, officiating. There were several floral offerings. Burial took place in St. Patrick's cemetery, under the direction of Undertaker Manuel E. Santos. [January 8, 1932 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

Charles W. Porter, a well known resident of Centralville, died at his home, 406 Bridge street, this morning, aged 54 years, 7 months and 2 days. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Winnifred Porter and five children, three sons, Robert W., Carl M., and Ernest A. Porter and two daughters, Gladys and Pearl M. Porter, all of Lowell. [May 31, 1932 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
30, Walter C.W. Puffer, 21, typhoid fever. Buried in the Catholic Ground
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

Anna (Alcott) Pratt
The Aitkin Age (Aitkin, MN) July 22, 1893, page 2
Eldest of Alcott's "Little Women."
BOSTON, July 19.-Mrs. Anna Bronson Alcott Pratt, widow of John B. Pratt and oldest daughter of A. Bronson Alcott, died at Concord, Mass., Monday. She was the original of "Meg," the eldest one of the four "Little Women." . - Contributed by Robin Line

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
29, Thomas Ramsbottom, 45, epilepsy.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

In Newtonville, Oct. 13, John Lovering Roberts, son of Joshua and Frances F. Ramsdell, 3 yrs. 11 mo. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Oct. 20, 1860]

Abigail Reed
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, September 21, 1831
Died in Lexington, Miss Abigail Reed, aged 22.

In Lexington, Oct. 16, Capt. Benjamin Reed, 70. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Oct. 20, 1860]

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
25, Jesse Reed, 75, hernia.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

Mrs. Mary Reed
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, May 25, 1831
Died in Lexington, Mrs. Mary, widow of the late Deacon Nathan Reed, 84.

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
29, Patrick J. Reeney, 6 day, infantile.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

Daniel Rice
The Vermont Watchman and State Journal, Montpelier, Vermont, February 21, 1837
Died at Watertown, Mass. January 21st. Mr. Daniel Rice, aged 82, a revo. Pensioner.

John Rice
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, September 21, 1831
Died in Concord, Mr. John Rice, 30, formerly of Ashby.

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
26, Charles E. Richardson, 19, typhoid fever.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

Son of Daniel Richardson and Olive Berry Perkins; born in Middleton, Mass., June 23, 1829; prepared for college at Phillips Academy, Andover; graduated at Amherst College, 1855; taught in Topsfield (Mass.) Academy, 1855-56, as also in the summer term of 1857; took the full course in this Seminary, 1856-59; licensed to preach by Essex South Association, March 1, 1859. He was ordained at Lincoln, Mass., September 6, 1860, having already preached there for one year. He remained in this pastorate till 1892, and retained the office of pastor emeritus until his death.
Rev. A.H. Plumb, D.D., of Roxbury (Class of 1858), writes of Mr. Richardson: “It was my great privilege to enjoy the confidence of this good man during our Seminary course and through all his ministry. Among his professional associates he was highly esteemed for the transparent simplicity of his nature, his absolute freedom from ostentation, his quiet thoughtfulness, and the remarkable balance of his intellectual traits. In many respects his career seems to be an ideal one, both as to its power and its privilege, and should strongly attract young men to the holy office. For a man to abide through an entire generation with a cultured community in a serene tranquility of continuous and honored usefulness is certainly to live a successful and a happy life. No pastor could be more deeply enshrined in the affection of his flock than this shepherd, who in life and death could say, ‘I dwell with mine own people.’”
Rev. Edward E. Bradley (Advanced Class of 1892), his successor in the Lincoln pastorate, says of him: “His entire absence of self-seeking, his loyalty to the truth as he learned it, his consecrated devotion to the work of Christ, and his love for this church mark his life as one of single-minded service of his Master. His own words, spoken when he knew that his end was near, well sum up his life, ‘I have not done a great work, but I have tried to be faithful to the Lord Jesus.’”
He was married, June 26, 1864, to Mrs. Harriet Amelia French, of Lincoln, daughter of Dea. William Colburn and Nabby Reed, and widow of Theodore French. She survives him. He died of the grip, at Lincoln, Mass., December 19, 1893, in the sixty-fifth year of his age. [Source: Necrology … Andover Theological Seminary (1828 – 1865);tr. by K. Mohler]

Capt. Walter Russell of Watertown, Mass., died 26 June 1878 in East Providence, R.I. [The "Republican", from Springfield, Mass., submitted by aFoFG]

At Malden, 4th inst., Mary Orinda, wife of C. M. Sanderson, and daughter of Hon. John Walt, of Braintree, VT., 33 years 10 months 6 days. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Sept. 29, 1860, contributed by K.T.]

Luther H. Sargent, aged 61 years, died Saturday at his home in North Chelmsford. For several years, Mr. Sargent's health had been so delicate that he was compelled to withdsraw in a large degree from active participation in the affairs of his village and of the town, but in his days of physical vigor he could always be counted up as an inflexible supporter of all measure designed to promote the highest interests of the community.
When a young man he took an active part in a local temperance organization and along political lines he was an ardent supporter of the principles of the republican party. One year he represented his town in the lower branch of the legislature.
At the time of his decease he was a member of the board of trustees of the Adams library. For a long term of years he was teh valued bookkeeper for Silver & Gay. Mr. Sargent possessed some literary tastes, his nature was singularly refined, and coarseness of thought or expression found no lodgement with him. He was truly a good man and the world has need of more of such refined and honorable characters. He leaves a widow and one child, Mrs. C. Frank Butterfield of North Chelmsford.
There are also three grandchildren left to mourn his loss, Jessie S., Nellie L. and Hazel L. Richardson, and one sister, Mrs. F. W. Marshall of Jamaica Plain. [Nov 9, 1903 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

Helen F. Young Saunders, 86, of Natick, died Friday, Oct. 8, 2004, at MetroWest Medical Center in Natick. She was the wife of Edward A. Saunders, who died in 1952. Born in Natick and a lifelong resident, she was the daughter of the late Edward H. and Rose E. (McLaughlin) Young.
Mrs. Saunders worked at Wellesley College for more than 20 years in the printing department, and retired in 1985. She had previously worked at the Natick Coop, New England Telephone and the Quincy Ship Yard. Mrs. Saunders enjoyed candlepin bowling at the Fairway Lanes in Natick for many years. She knitted, was an avid reader and loved watching the Boston Bruins.
She leaves her daughter, Susan L. Bishop and her husband, Eugene, of Natick; her son, Edward A. Saunders Jr. and his wife, Lois, of Framingham; her brother, Edward H. Young Jr. and his wife, Barbara, of Wayland; her sister, Anna Wright of Quincy; five grandchildren, Linda R. Bishop of Natick, Diana L. Bishop of Darien, Conn., and Edward C. Saunders, Jonathon A. Saunders and Devin T. Saunders, all of Framingham; her sister-in-law, Mary Maloney and her husband, Augustus, of Somerville; her brother-in-law, John Connolly of Melrose; and many nieces and nephews.
A funeral Mass will be held Monday, Oct. 11, at 10 a.m., at St. Patrick's Church. Burial will follow in St. Patrick's Cemetery. Visiting hours will be held Sunday, Oct. 10, from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m., at the John Everett and Sons Funeral Home, 4 Park St., Natick Common.. [Sat, Oct 9, 2004 - MetroWest Daily- submitted by aFoFG]

Death of Mrs. Olive P. Sawyer at the age of 90.
Olive P. widow of Gideon T. Sawyer, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs Olive P. Hervey, in Medford, yesterday, aged 90 years. Mrs. Sawyer was the daughter of Southard and Drucilla Hatch Potter. She was born Oct. 14, 1808, in a house then standing at the southwest corner of Purchase and North streets, and until within a few years her home was within two squares of the place where she was born. Her parents both lived to old age, her father reaching 90 years and her mother ?8 at the time of death. A fact remarkable in the history of families is to be recorded of Mrs. Sawyer. The last of her father's children, she was all her own children pass from under her roof to married life, and again saw all her daughters return widowed and her son's home left desolate, while her own children are living to the third generation. During his lifetime Gideon T. Sawyer was the oldest in membership on the books of the North Congrgational church, he having joined that body in 1823. The name of Mrs. Sawyer follows his on the church book, her membership dating from 1825. Mrs. Sawyer from 1832 until within a few years resided at the southeast corner of North and Foster streets in this city, and she was fond of recalling the time when between her house and County street there were only broad fields, none of the neighboring streets having been opened, and along Purchase street in place of a sidewalk was a narrow path. Mrs. Sawyer was the oldest subscriber to the Mecury and she held the paper in high esteem. On the day when she was 90 years old she was photographed, and at her desire, she held a copy of The Mercury when the picture was taken. The reproduction of the pictures accompanies this sketch. Stephen P. Sawyer of this city and Mrs. Olive P. Hervey of Malden are Mrs. Sawyer's only surviving children. Mrs. Sawyer was dearly beloved by the members of her family and held in the highest esteem by a large circle of friends an acquaintances.  [unknown newspaper/date]

The funeral of Mrs. Lydia (Morin) Sevigny, wife of Joseph Sevigny, took place this morning at 8 o'clock from her home, 121 Cabot street, and was largely attended. A solemn high funeral mass was celebrated at 9 o'clock at St. Jean Baptiste church by Rev. Narcisse Cotnoir, OMI, assisted by Rev. Rodolphe J. Smit, OMI, of Albert, as deacon and by Rev. Arthur J. Lemire, OMI, as sub-deacon. The church choir, under the direction of Rodolphe E. Pepin, the organist, sang Pietro A. Yon's mass. The solos were sung by Miss Cecile Vincent, Mrs. Maria Jacques, Edward Coutu and Elzear Cote. The bearers were Damien Descoteaux, Ludger Grimard, Joseph Joyal Donat, Joyal, Ovila Pineault and Arthur Bedard. REpresenting Ste. Anne's sodality at the funeral were Mrs. Charles T. Lirette, Mrs. Ludger Grimard, Mrs. Joseph Joyal, Mrs. ARthur Belard, Mrs. Arthur Blais and Mrs. Louis Frechette. There was another delegation of this society at the church, where the attendance was unusually large. Among those present were many other classmates of the children of the deceased from St. Joseph's college under the guidance of the Marist Brothers. There were many beautiful flowers. From out of town were Mr. and Mrs. Wilfred Sevigny of Amesbury; Mr. and Mrs. John Morin, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Morin, Mrs. Joseph Laroche, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Morin, Mrs. Adolphe Langlois, Mrs. Hector Poirier and Omer Sevigny of Laconia, N. H.; Mr. and Mrs. Fred Gauthier and Miss Jeanette Gauthier of Amesbury; Joseph Morin of Epping, N.H., Mrs. Adjutor Bourgault of Thetford Mines, P.Q.; Stanley Morin of Billerica; Mrs. John Morin, Mrs. John Girpux and Mrs. Morin of Cambridge. The burial was in the family lot in St. Joseph's cemetery, where the committal prayers were read by Rev. Lucien Brassard, OMI. The funeral arrangements were in charge of Funeral Directors Amedee Archambault and Sons. [Jan 8, 1932 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]
SHANNEHAN - Funeral services for Miss Louise Shannehan were held at her home, 31 Dodge street, Beverly, yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock, Rev. J. J. Russell, pastor of the Second Congregational church of Beverly officiating. There were many flowers. Burial was in the family lot in the Edson Cemetery, Lowell, where Rev. Mr. Russell read the committal prayers. The funeral arrangements were in the charge of Undertaker Hiram C. Brown. [Jan 8, 1932 - Lowell Sun - submitted by aFoFG]

Class of 1832
Son of Robert G. Shaw, was born in Boston, 19 November, 1813. Soon after graduating he began the study of law, and after completing his studies removed to Parkman, Me. Subsequently he lived at Waterville and Portland. Wherever he resided, he seems to have enjoyed the confidence and respect of his fellow-townsmen, having filled, among other official positions, the office of president of a bank, and been a member of the governor's council. In 1863 he took up his residence at Cambridge, Mass., and died at Paris, France, 7 December, 1869.
He was married to Hannah Buck in 1841, by whom he had eleven children, of whom five, together with his widow, survived him.
Mr. Shaw was a person who was very sturdy, not only in his opinions, but in the whole grain and texture of his character. He also utterly ignored all the arts of popularity. Yet he was always popular in college; and in later years, it is not known that these characteristics made him any enemies. While in Cambridge, though genial and hospitable, he was not often drawn away by social tastes from his home. By all these, and by his near relatives and chosen friends, he was much valued and deeply lamented. [Source: The Necrology of Harvard College 1869-1872; published 1872; tr. by K. Mohler]

Son of Rev. Luther Sheldon, D.D., and Sarah Johnson Harris; born in Easton, Mass., November 22, 1815; prepared for college at Castleton (Vt.) Seminary; graduated at Middlebury College, 1839; took the full course in this Seminary, 1839-42; was licensed to preach by the Andover Association, meeting with Dr. Justin Edwards, Andover, April 12, 1842. He supplied for a few months, 1842-43, the First Presbyterian Church of Washington, D.C., preaching afterwards at South Dennis, Mass., and in New Hampshire. He was ordained at Townsend, Mass., August 1, 1844; was pastor there twelve years, and was then settled at Westborough, Mass., for eleven  years, 1856-67. He was superintendent of the State Reform School, Jamesburg, N.J., 1867-74; resided at Andover, 1874-76; was acting pastor at Easton, Mass., 1876-78; superintendent of State Reform School, at Westborough, Mass., 1878-80; residing afterwards in Andover.
Mr. Sheldon was always intelligently and heartily interested in moral reforms and public progress. He was an early advocate of temperance and antislavery, and in the last year of the war went to the front as a Christian Commission delegate. In Townsend, Westborough, and Andover he served on the school committee board, and in Andover was a prominent supporter of the Farmers’ Club. His official connection with institutions for criminal boys was an important part of his life work. He successfully inaugurated in New Jersey the system of the “open farm school,” then only known in one other institution in the country, but since adopted in many States.
Rev. Lathrop Taylor, of Wheaton, Ill. (Class of 1842), on hearing of Mr. Sheldon’s death, wrote: “I loved him dearly. We were classmates four years in college and room-mates three years in Andover. He was a genial companion and a man of pure and noble aspirations. He was a diligent student, not only of the Bible, but of general literature. He had comprehensive views of the work of the Christian minister. He heartily embraced and steadfastly maintained the Edwardean views of theology. His style of preaching was practical, and he spoke with unction and power. He was a true and godly man, and has finished his work with joy.” Mr. Sheldon was married, July 24, 1844, to Sarah Hicks Flagg, of Andover, daughter of Capt. Timothy Flagg (of the old-time publishing firm of Flagg & Gould) and Hannah Trow. She survives him, with their two sons and two daughters. He died at Andover, Mass., of organic disease of the heart, May 19, 1894, aged seventy-eight years. [Source: Necrology … Andover Theological Seminary (1828 – 1865) tr. by K. Mohler]

In Winchester, Oct. 10, George W., Jr., son of George W. and Mary Jane Spurr, 10 mos. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Oct. 20, 1860]

In Newton Corner, Sept. 19, Noah Start, 74. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Sept. 29, 1860]

Elijah Stearns
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, April 20, 1831
Died in Bedford, Elijah Stearns, Esq., aged 61.

Emily Stearns
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, May 25, 1831
Died in Lexington, Miss Emily Stearns, aged 23.

Class of 1824
Was born in Chelmsford, Mass., 22 November, 1804. He was the only son of Asahel Stearns, professor of law in Harvard University. His mother, Frances Wentworth, was the daughter of Benjamin Whitney, of Hollis, high sheriff of Hillsborough County, N.H. He entered Harvard College in 1820, graduated in 1824, holding a respectable rank for scholarship, and always esteemed by the faculty and by his fellow-students, for the excellent and substantial qualities of his mind and character, though his native reserve and shyness made him less known than he deserved to be. On leaving college he devoted himself to the study of the law, and received the degree of LL.B. in 1827, and he then began the practice of his profession in Boston, and in 1834 entered into partnership with Theophilus Parsons, Esq., now professor of law in Harvard University.
In 1844 he accepted the stewardship of Harvard College. He held this office for twenty-six years, till the autumn of 1870, when, with a presentiment of coming evil, he sent in his resignation, after a most diligent, faithful, judicious, and acceptable performance of the duties of his place. In December of that year, after imprudent exposure on a very cold and windy day, he was suddenly seized with a paralytic affection, which deprived him of the power of speech, and to some extent of the use of his limbs and of his mental faculties. From this he never recovered. After more than a year of trial and suffering under his disease, he was at length released from his prison in the flesh, 31 January, 1872, at the age of sixty-seven.
Mr. Stearns, inheriting much of his excellent father's nature, was a man of sound intellect and judgment, cultivated by reading and meditation, and of sterling qualities of mind and heart. Without brilliant gifts, and of a modest and retiring disposition, he was not destined to shine in the world. His life was a quiet and uneventful one. He preferred a quiet and unshowy career, and was content with the tranquil usefulness of his lot. Though he never sought society, and confined himself to his office and his solitary home, there was no lack in him of kindness or sympathy. And those who knew him found him a genial companion and a faithful friend. Under his outward reserve beat a warm and generous heart, ever ready to help in time of need. Strict accuracy, fidelity to his trusts, a high sense of honor, the most scrupulous integrity and conscientiousness marked all the acts of his life. He was a man of a reverent and religious nature; yet in this, as in other respects, reticent and undemonstrative, feeling more than he said. We part from him as one of the true men who, in a life of quiet and steady service, have done well their part on earth, and entered, we trust, on higher and happier work in some of the other "many mansions" of our "Father's house." [Source: The Necrology of Harvard College 1869-1872; published 1872; tr. by K. Mohler]

Class of 1822
Was born at Kingston, 12 July, 1793. His father was Thomas, afterwards of Harvard, a descendant of Cornet Robert Stetson, who, with William Bradford and John Freeman, were the first commissioned officers of horse in the Plymouth Colony (1658). His mother was Elizabeth Cook, of Kingston, descendant of Edward Gray, who came over in the "Mayflower" with his guardian, Gov. Winslow, and married his niece.
Mr. Stetson fitted for college with Prof. Wood, at Andover, and entered the class of 1821. In 1819 the memorable rebellion occurred; and among the various suspensions and rustications which followed, he went into the next class, with which he graduated, with the highest, or near the highest, honors. He soon after entered the Divinity School, graduating thence in 1826, and was ordained pastor of the First Unitarian Society in Medford, 26 February, 1827. In the same year he married Julia Meriam, daughter of Rufus and Martha Meriam, of Lexington.
He resigned his Medford parish in 1848, and accepted a call to South Scituate, where he continued in the ministry till 1859, when he determined to retire from its active duties. He removed to Lexington in that year, and at once was invited by the Follen church to become its pastor. Mr. Stetson accepted this invitation, and officiated till about 1862, when he discontinued preaching altogether, and lived at the homestead of Mrs. Stetson's family, the "House of the Battle Field," where Captain Parker's company assembled on the morning when the British force marched up to Lexington. Being in that year under lease to one Bucknam for a tavern, this house has passed, with its bullet holes and well-preserved antiquity, into history as "Bucknam's Tavern." His death occurred there, 17 May, 1870.
Throughout his life he was devoted to his profession. This was not without a love of social enjoyment, and his geniality and large heart always surrounded him with hosts of friends. His brilliant wit and kindly humor will not soon be forgotten. He was always an earnest student; yet the advancement of the cause of God, and practical and real reforms, were nearest him. A man of quick sympathies, his religion was largely pervaded with the tenderest interest in the welfare of others. The humanitarian side of the gospel - the humanity of Christ - took a deep hold of his nature, and hence he preached the religion of reform. At an early period of the antislavery struggle, when it cost something to preach for freedom of the slave, he espoused his cause and pleaded for his emancipation. He took but little part in politics. He was wont to say that he did enough in that direction by obtaining for Prof. Edward Everett his first congressional nomination in 1824.
He was too much occupied in the work of the ministry for authorship; but quite a number of his orations and discourses were printed and published.
His last appearance before any numerous audiences was at the funeral service of John Pierpont, in Medford, 30 August, 1866. Mr. Stetson's death called forth various warm tributes to his worth, several of which are recognized in the funeral discourse preached the Sunday following that event by his friend and pupil, Rev. W.P. Tilden. [Source: The Necrology of Harvard College 1869-1872; published 1872; tr. by K. Mohler]

Class of 1804
Died in Dedham, Mass., 12 August, 1869, aged 86 years and 2 months. He was the son of Jeremy Stimson and Anna (Jones) Stimson, and was born in Hopkinton, Mass., 17 October, 1783. His father was a physician, and his mother was daughter of John Jones, of Hopkinton, Mass. He entered Brown University, where he remained about two years, when he left, and entered the junior class in Harvard University, where he graduated in 1804. After his graduation he went to Uxbridge, Mass., and studied medicine under the instruction of Dr. Willard. After finishing his studies, he established himself in Dedham, Mass. He acquired an extensive practice, was highly esteemed as a skillful physician, and particularly distinguished for sound judgment, and was universally respected and beloved.
He married, 8 September, 1808, Hopestill Godfrey, of Milford, Mass., who was born 13 February, 1790, and had children: Emily Stimson, born 25 July, 1809, who married John Gardner, of Boston, Mass., 3 September, 1835; Caroline Stimson, born 29 September, 1811, who married Edward Wight, 26 September, 1832; Abigail Stimson, born 7 February, 1814, who married Marshall Sears Perry, M.D., 2 April, 1838; Benjamin Godfrey Stimson, born 19 March, 1816, who married Lavinia Jane Turner - she died before him -and Benjamin afterwards married Cordelia Ives; Edward Stimson (H.C. 1843), born 29 October, 1823, married Sarah Tufts Richardson 13 July, 1848, who died, and he married a second wife, Charlotte Leland; Charlotte Ann Stimson, born 11 July, 1830, married, 4 October, 1848, Gustave Hedman Rissell.
Dr. Jeremy Stimson's wife died 21 September, 1856; and 6 October, 1857, he married Mary Parker, who was born 25 July, 1787.
He was a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society, and the honorary degree of doctor of medicine was conferred upon him by Harvard University in 1852. He was for many years president of the Dedham Bank, Mass. His habits were domestic, and he was very fond of literary pursuits. Two obituary notices appeared, one in the "Christian Register," and another in the "Boston Journal." [Source: The Necrology of Harvard College 1869-1872; published 1872; tr. by K. Mohler]

Mrs. Sarah Ann Stone
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, October 13, 1830; Page: 2
Died in Newburyport, Mrs. Sarah Ann, wife of Mrs. Samuel B. Stone, aged 24.

Louisa Story
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, May 18, 1831
Died in Cambridge, Louisa, youngest daughter of Hon. Jospeh Story, aged 10 years.

At Waltham, 18th ult., Miss Mary Stration, 68 yrs. 9 mos. [Source: Campaign Post, Boston, Friday Morning, Oct. 14, 1864]

Class of 1829
Was born in Newmarket, Rockingham County, N.H., 11 December, 1806. In 1820 he entered Phillips Academy at Exeter, N.H., where he continued till 1825, in which year he was admitted to Harvard College. His standing as an undergraduate, both as regards scholarship and character, was highly respectable. Soon after leaving college, in 1829, he obtained the situation of assistant instructor in the English High School in Boston, in which office he continued three years. In 1832 he entered the Divinity School at Cambridge. While a member of the senior class in that institution he commenced preaching, in the winter of 1835, at Barnstable, Mass. In 1836 he went to Tremont, Ill., to take charge of a religious society, and to perform missionary service in the neighboring counties of that state and of Western Pennsylvania. In the autumn of 1837 he preached for a while in Philadelphia, supplying the pulpit of Rev. Mr. Furness. On 27 June, 1838, he was ordained as pastor of "The First Unitarian Church and Society" in Windsor, Vt. After having relinquished his connection with that society, in 1840, he took up his residence in Boston, occasionally preaching on the Sabbaths, and occupying himself during the rest of the week as agent, first of the Book and Pamphlet Society, and subsequently of the American Peace Society. In 1844, on 11 September, he was married in Charlestown, Mass., to Miss Elizabeth Austin, daughter of the late William Austin, Esq. The same year, 15 November, he entered into an engagement to take the pastoral charge of the old Congregational Church in Billerica, where he remained till 15 May, 1850. From October, 1850, to the winter of 1853, he ministered to the Congregational Church in South Natick. In May, 1853, he was settled over the new Unitarian Church in North Cambridge; but resigned in July, 1854. In November, 1855, he took the office of pastor of the Congregational Unitarian Church in Lunenburg, which he held till the autumn of 1859. In April, 1862, he began to preach for the Second Congregational Society in Leicester, Mass., over which he was installed pastor 17 November, 1863. His connection with that society having been dissolved in the spring of 1864, he was appointed an agent of the Massachusetts Temperance Alliance. At this period a bronchial disorder, to which he had been occasionally subject, increased to such a degree as to render it difficult, and sometimes impossible, for him to speak in public. For this reason he engaged in the business of life insurance, which - with the exception of the year 1865, spent in North Carolina as an agent of the Soldiers' Memorial Society, in the instruction of the freedmen - continued to give him employment during the residue of his life. His death, occasioned by bronchitis, took place at his house in West Newton on the morning of 13 January, 1872.
Mr. Thurston was highly esteemed for his integrity, fidelity, kindness of disposition, and singleness of heart, by a large circle of acquaintance; and was regarded with sincere respect and affection by the class of '29. Though constitutionally deficient in energy and elasticity, and not bless with vigorous health, his duties were always conscientiously discharged according to his ability, and his life has left a good record, and, we trust, a good influence.  [Source: The Necrology of Harvard College 1869-1872; published 1872; tr. by K. Mohler]

Son of Capt. Stephen Tolman and Mary Pierce; born in Dorchester, Mass., September 30, 1817; prepared for college at Dorchester Academy; graduated at Amherst College, 1839; was principal of New Hartford (Conn.) Academy, 1839-40, and Hancock (N.H.) Academy, 1840-41; took the full course in this Seminary, 1841-44, and continued his studies as Abbot resident, 1844-45. He was licensed to preach by the Andover Association, meeting with Prof. Ralph Emerson at Andover, April 9, 1844, and was ordained as first pastor of the Third (now Maple Street) Church, Danvers, Mass., September 17, 1845, and remained there three years. He was pastor at South Dennis, Mass., 1849-52, and at Tewksbury, Mass., 1852-70. In the spring of the latter year severe pulmonary disease obliged him to give up his pastorate, and he went to Hampton, Va. He was so much improved by the climate that before the close of the year he became chaplain of the Normal Institute, being formally installed May 19, 1872, and performing the duties of that position with rare judgment, zeal, and efficiency for eight years. For eight years longer he remained in connection with the school, teaching a large “class of pastors for Bible study,” and often preaching in the churches of the vicinity. From 1886 he resided in Arlington, Mass. Mr. Tolman represented Tewksbury in the State Legislature in 1866 and 1867. Three sermons of his were published.
Rev. Leonard Tenney, of Waterbury, Vt., a Seminary classmate, writes: “Mr. Tolman and I were room-mates in the Seminary, and have been intimate friends up to the day of his death. As a man he was frugal, generous, and modest, yet bold and courageous; a genial companion, always trustworthy – a man of sound wisdom and great capability. As a preacher he was logical, earnest, and persuasive. As a Christian he was devout, hopeful, conservative, and yet always ready to receive new light. It was his endeavor to know his whole duty and to perform it.” In filling a statistical blank in 1892 Mr. Tolman wrote against “present employment:” “A cripple, calmly and cheerfully waiting for the dawn of heaven’s eternal day.”
He was married, December 1, 1845, to Olivia Sweetser, of Reading, Mass., daughter of Thomas Sweetser and Olivia Richardson. She died June 20, 1891. They had eight children, four sons and four daughters, of whom three daughters survive. Mr. Tolman died at Arlington, Mass., of pneumonia, following the grip, January 2, 1894, aged seventy-six years. [Source: Necrology … Andover Theological Seminary (1828 – 1865); tr. by K. Mohler]

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
24, Charles H. Trenholm, 26, consumption.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

In Melrose, Oct. 13, Helen Louise, youngest child of Orne and Mary Lizzie Upham, 2 yrs. 8 mo. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Oct. 20, 1860]

The remains of late Mary A. Walsh were consigned to their final resting place in the family lot in St. Augustine's cemetery in Andover this morning. The funeral took place from her late home, 15 Grove street at 8:30 o'clock and was largely attended by friends and relatives of the deceased, including many people from out of town. The funeral cortege proceeded to St. Patrick's church in Suffolk street, where a high mass of requiem was celebrated at nien o'clock by Rev. James A. Walsh. The choir under the direction of Mr. Fred G. Bond sang the Gregorial mass and during the service several appropriate solos were rendered by different members of the choir. The remains of the deceased reposed in a handsome black broadcloth casket with silver trimmings and it was surrounded with a wealth of floral tributes, showing the esteem in which the deceased was held by her many friends and acquaintances. The bearers were Messrs. Kennedy, Duffy, Carney, and Keeney. The interment was in St. Augustine's cemetery, Andover, and was under the direction of Funeral Director Charles H. Molloy. [Nov 9, 1903 - Lowell Sun - submitted by Nancy Washell]

Class of 1816
Was born in Weston, Mass., 9 August, 1797. He was the son of the Hon. Artemas Ward and Catherine Maria Dexter. He came of a long and distinguished ancestry. His father (H.C. 1783) was a member of the executive council, twice a representative in Congress, chief justice of the Court of Common Pleas, and overseer of the college for thirty-four years; and in 1842 he received the degree of Doctor of Laws from the college. His grandfather (H.C. 1748) was the famous Major-General Artemas Ward, of revolutionary fame. Mr. Ward was the fourth of six children, four sons and two daughters. One of his brothers, Charles Trowbridge Ward, is still living, and both sisters - one, Catherine Maria, widow of Samuel B. Barrell; and the other, Frances Fidelia, the widow of the Rev. Alvan Lamson, D.D., of Dedham. In 1800 his father removed to Charlestown. He was fitted for college at Phillips Academy, Exeter. After leaving college, he went into business, becoming one of a firm which was largely interested in the West India trade. He remained there but a few years, however, as he had no liking for trade, and undertook the study of medicine. He entered the office of Dr. Randall, and afterwards studied two or three years in Paris. He was admitted a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society in 1832, sixteen years after his graduation. He was active in his profession, until about five years before his death, and was very well known in the city. His practice would have been much more extensive, but for the fact that he was not dependent upon it as a means of support. During the latter part of his life, he devoted much time to the study of modern languages, especially German and French, of which he was very fond. He was of a quiet, retiring disposition, but had a small circle of friends, whose acquaintanceship he highly prized. He died at the residence of his brother, Charles Trowbridge Ward, 228 Tremont Street, Boston, where he had lived for the last thirty years of his life, on 16 June, 1869, of Bright's disease of the kidneys, aggravated by heart disease. [Source: The Necrology of Harvard College 1869-1872; published 1872; tr. by K. Mohler]

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
25, Isabella Ward, 28, accident.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

Class of 1865
Was born in Cambridge, Mass., 3 June, 1843. He was the son of Rev. William Ware (H.C. 1816) and Mary (Waterhouse) Ware, and grandson of Henry Ware (H.C. 1785). He studied with his sisters till 1856, and from that time till he went to college in 1861 was in the Washington Grammar School and Cambridge High School. While still a little boy, he was always at work on electrical and other mechanical machines; and when twelve years old, had already begun to devote himself to the study of natural history, which occupied the greater part of his free time and thought till he left college. Ornithology was his particular branch, and he made large collections of birds and eggs for the Agassiz Natural History Society, which was composed of him and four other boys. He had considerable taste for drawing, though he practiced it very little.
In college he was an intelligent and industrial student, always punctual at lectures. He attended the advanced lectures on botany and chemistry, and was a member of the Harvard Natural History Society, holding, from time to time, several offices in it. After graduation from college, he entered the Harvard Medical School, but studied anatomy and physiology with Prof. Jeffries Wyman during the first year. While in the school, he was a member of the Boylston Medical Society. In July, 1868, he received the degree of M.D., and soon after went to Germany. About six weeks were passed in Dresden studying German, before going to Vienna. Enthusiastic letters from these two cities show how much he enjoyed the music and picture galleries, for which they are famous; and his appreciation of the medical advantages was proved by the industry with which he attended the clinics.
The weather in Vienna was very disagreeable; but his health did not suffer till he had left Vienna, in the spring of 1869, to go to Berlin, by way of Munich and Prague. On the way to Dresden he caught cold, and one of his lungs became affected. From this time onward his health must have been failing steadily; but though he was perfectly aware of the state he was in, he never gave up endeavoring, by cheerfulness and patience, to make every one happy around him. He had to give up one by one his plans for continuing his studies, and in the latter part of June went to Soden, a small watering-place near Frankfort, where he died, 24 July, at the age of twenty-six years. [Source: The Necrology of Harvard College 1869-1872; published 1872; tr. by K. Mohler]

Windham County Democrat, Brattleboro, Vt. November 28 1849
Died in Billerica, Massachusetts, October 15th, Esek Weaver, Esq., aged
73. He was an old resident of Rockingham, Vt., and while on a visit to
a sister in Billerica, a few days of extreme suffering brought down a
frame of uncommon vigor. The friends of Temperance especially and the
community generally, sympathize with the family and friend in this loss.
- Com.

David Weeks
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, October 13, 1830; Page: 2
Died in Waltham, 25th ult., Mr. David Weeks, 49.

Fatal Accident: We learn that an accident which has proved fatal in its consequences happened in Marlborough on the 12 th ult.At a raising of a building, designed for an academy, after the whole of the body of the frame was raised, the middle beam broke owing to its support not being properly secured and precipitated a number of persons into the cellar below. Eleven were more or less hurt and 9 of them considerably.One of them, William Weeks, lingered till the morning of the 17 th, when he died. - Worcester Spy. Republican Compiler, Gettysburg, PA Oct. 3, 1827) Submitted by a FoFG (np)

The "Belfast Spider" Dead.
Somerville. Mass.- Isaac O. Weir, who as "Ike Weir, the Belfast Spider," won the featherweight boxing championship of the world, 20 years ago, died Thursday at his home in this city. [Oct 2, 1908, p2. Alma, Wabaunsee Co, KS - contributed by aFoFG]

Mrs. Mary Wheeler
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, April 20, 1831
Died in Concord, Widow Mary Wheeler, 95. Although a widow for more than half a century and for more than half that time perfectly blind, she managed the concerns of her estate - bringing up a large family - with a prudence and skill truly remarkable. Of five sisters, two have died, were over 80 years, and the three surviving are all about that age. Of three brothers, two lived to be over fourscore years. Of her eight children, the youngest is now 59 years of age and the oldest over 75 - 1 of whom attended her funeral.

Contributed by Bonnie T.
Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, Massachusetts) Monday, November 1, 1875 Volume: XXV Issue: 6063 Page: 3
Report of deaths for the week ending Oct. 30
23, Life W.Wiley, 49, erysipelas.
HERMON J. SMITH, M.D., Supt. of Burials.

In Lowell, Sept. 20, Henry Dwight Whitney, son of Abel Whitney, 8 yrs. 8 mos.  [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Sept. 29, 1860]

In Stow, Capt. J. Whitman, killed by a stage passing over him and the same day, Charles Hale, one of his neighbours, by a log passing over his body. [The North American Review, Nov 1815 - Submitted by a FoFG(kt)]

Samuel F. Wright - livery, d. Dunstable, Mass., Oct. 27, 1892  [Source: Death Notices of Chicago's Old Settlers, compiled by Robert Fergus, sub. by aFoFG]

In Pepperell, Oct. 9, Mrs. Varazina, wife of Abel Wright, 63 yrs. 8 mos. [Source: Campaign Atlas and Bee, Boston, Oct. 20, 1860]

Mrs. Eunice Wyman
Barnstable Patriot, Wednesday, November 17, 1830; Page: 3
Died in Woburn, 5th inst., Mrs. Eunice Wyman, aged 82.


MassachusettsGenealogy Trails
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails