ADAMS, Mrs. Abigail, wife of John Adams, second President of the United States, born 22nd November, 1744, in Weymouth, Mass. She was a daughter of the Rev. William Smith, for forty years minister of the Congregational church in Weymouth . Her mother was Elizabeth Quincy, a great-great-granddaughter of Rev. Thomas Shepard, an eminent Puritan clergyman of Cambridge, and a great-grandniece of the Rev. John Norton of Boston . Abigail Adams was one of the most distinguished women of the Revolutionary period. She was in delicate health in youth and unable to attend school, but she became a far better scholar than most of the women of her day. She read widely and wrote in terse, vigorous and elegant language. Her youth was passed in converse with persons of learning, experience and political sagacity. She was married on 25th October, 1764, to John Adams, then a young lawyer practicing in Boston . During the next ten years her quiet and happy life was devoted to her husband and her four children, three sons and one daughter. Then came the troubled times that were marked by the disputes between the Colonies and England . Mrs. Adams seconded her husband in his opposition to the English oppression, and encouraged him in his zeal and determination in urging the Colonies to declare their independence. She remained in Braintree, Mass, while Mr. Adams was absent as a delegate to the Continental Congress and afterwards on diplomatic missions in Europe. In 1784 she joined her husband in France, and in 1785 they went to London, whither Mr. Adams was sent as Minister Plenipotentiary to the Court of Great Britain. Remembering the patriotic zeal and independence of Mrs. Adams during the Revolution, George III and his queen, still smarting over the loss of the American Colonies, treated her with marked rudeness. Mrs. Adams remembered their rudeness, and afterwards wrote: "Humiliation for Charlotte is no sorrow for me" After spending one year in France and three in England, Mrs. Adams returned to the United Slates in 1788. In 1789, after her husband was appointed Vice-President of the United States, she went to reside in Philadelphia, Pa., then the seat of government. In 1797 Mr. Adams was chosen President. In 18oo, after his defeat, they retired to Quincy, Mass., where Mrs. Adams died 28th October, 1818. She was a woman of elevated mind and strong powers of judgment and observation. Her letters have been collected and published with a biographical sketch by her grandson, Charles F. Adams, in a volume entitled "Familiar Letters of John Adams and his Wife, Abigail Adams, During the Revolution." (American Women, Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Vol 1, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by a FoFG (ms)
CHARLES FRANCIS ADAMS
ADAMS, Charles Francis, (son of John Quincy Adams and grandson of John Adams), a Representative from Massachusetts; born in Boston, Mass., August 18, 1807; spent several years with his parents in St. Petersburg, Russia; attended the Boston Latin School, and was graduated from Harvard University in 1825; studied law; was admitted to the bar on January 6, 1829, and commenced practice in Boston; member of the State house of representatives in 1831; served in the State senate 1835-1840; founded the Boston Whig in 1846; unsuccessful candidate of the Free-Soil Party for Vice President of the United States in 1848; elected as a Republican to the Thirty-sixth and Thirty-seventh Congresses and served from March 4, 1859, to May 1, 1861, when he resigned to accept a diplomatic position; chairman, Committee on Manufactures (Thirty-sixth Congress); appointed by President Lincoln as Minister to England and served from March 20, 1861, to May 13, 1868; declined the presidency of Harvard University but became one of its overseers in 1869; died in Boston, Mass., November 21, 1886; interment in Mount Wollaston Cemetery, Quincy, Norfolk County, Mass. [Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present; Contributed by Anna Newell]
ADAMS, Miss Hannah, the first woman in the United States to make a profession of literature was born in Medfield, Mass., in 1755, and died in Brookline, Mass., 15th November, 1832. Her father was a well-to-do farmer of considerable education and culture. Hannah was a delicate child fond of reading and study. In childhood she memorized most of the poetical works of Milton, Pope. Thomson, Young and others. Her studies were varied, including Greek and Latin, in which she was instructed by the divinity students who made their home with her family. In 1772 her father lost his property, and the children were forced to provide for themselves. Hannah supported herself during the Revolutionary War by making lace and by teaching school. After the war she opened a school to prepare young men for college, in which she was very successful. Her principal work, a volume entitled "A View of Religious Opinions," appeared in 1784. The labor necessary for so great a work resulted in a serious illness that threatened her with mental derangement. That book passed through several editions in the United States and was republished in England. It is a work of great research and erudition. When the fourth edition was published, she changed the title to "A Dictionary of Religions." It was long a standard volume. Her second work, "A History of New England," appeared in 1799, and her third, "Evidences of Christianity," in 18o1. Her income from these successful works was meager, as she did not understand the art of making money so well as she knew the art of making books. Her reputation extended to Europe and won her many friends, among whom was Abbe Gregoire, who was then laboring to secure the emancipation of the Jews in France. With him she corresponded, and from him she received valuable aid in preparing her "History of the Jews," which appeared in 1812. Her next book, "A Controversy with Dr. Morse," appeared in 1814, and her "Letters on the Gospels" in 1826. All her books passed through many editions. Miss Adams was a woman of great modesty and simplicity. Her life was very quiet; her only journey by water was the ten-mile trip from Boston to Nahant and her longest land journey was from Boston to Chelmsford. The closing years of her life she spent in Boston, supported by an annuity settled upon her by three wealthy men of that city. She was buried in Mount Auburn, being the first one to be buried in that cemetery. Her autobiography, edited with additions by Mrs. Hannah F. Lee, was published in Boston in 1832. (American Women, Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Vol 1, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by a FoFG (ms)
LOUISE CATHERINE ADAMS
ADAMS, Mrs. Louise Catherine, wife of John Quincy Adams, born in London, England, in 1775. She was a daughter of Joshua Johnson, of Maryland, but passed her early years in England and France. Her father's house in London was the resort of Americans in England. She was married to Mr. Adams in 1797. Mr. Adams had been resident minister at The Hague, and when his father was elected President of the United States, he went as minister to Berlin, Germany. There the young wife sustained herself with dignity in social and political life. In 1801 she returned with her husband to the United States. Mr. Adams was elected to the United States Senate, and they passed their winters in Washington, D. C., and their summers in Boston. In 1808 Mr. Adams was appointed by President Madison the first accredited minister to Russia. Mrs. Adams accompanied him to Russia, and she was the first American woman presented at the Russian court. She made an eminently favorable impression on Russian society. She passed one winter alone in St. Petersburg, while Mr. Adams was in Ghent negotiating a treaty between the United States and England. In the spring, accompanied by her eight-year-old son and servants, she set out to travel to Paris by land. The journey was a memorable one to her, as the time were troublous, the traveling very bad and the country full of soldiers. She reached Paris in March, 1815. There she witnessed all the momentous affairs that preluded the famous "Hundred Days." Mr. Adams was next appointed Minister to England, and they made their home near London. In 1817 they returned to the United States. Mr. Adams served as Secretary of State for eight years, and Mrs. Adams did the honors of their home in Washington. When her husband was elected President, she became the mistress of the White House. There she displayed the same quiet elegance and simplicity that had distinguish her in so many prominent situations. Failing health forced her into semi-retirement. She ceased to appear in fashionable circles, but still presided at public receptions. After the expiration of President Adams' term of office, her retirement was complete. The closing years of her life were spent in the care of her family and the practice of domestic virtues. She died on 14th May, 1852, and was buried by the side of her husband in the family burying ground at Quincy, Mass. (American Women, Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Vol 1, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by a FoFG (ms)
OAKES AMES was born in Canton, Massachusetts, February 24, 1863. He died at his home in Milton, Massachusetts, February 23, 1914. He was the son of Frank Morton Ames (born August 14, 1833; died August 23, 1898) and Catherine Hay ward (Copeland) Ames; and a grandson of Oakes Ames (born July 10, 1804; died May 8, 1873) and Evelyn O. Gilmore Ames; and on his mother's side, of Hiram Copeland (born February 9, 1798; died July 13, 1861) and Lurana Copeland.
The ancestor of the family in New England was William Ames, who was born at Bruton, Somersetshire, England, in 1665, a great grandson of John Ames, who died in Bruton, England, in 1560. He settled in Braintree, Massachusetts, in 1641, and died there in 1654. Mr. Ames' grandfather, Oakes Ames, was a Congressman from Massachusetts, and one of the chief promoters and builders of the Union Pacific Railroad. His uncle, Oliver Ames, was a former Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
His father, Frank M. Ames, was a prominent Massachusetts manufacturer, having been for many years the President of the Kinsley Iron and Machine Works at Canton, and was also President of the Lamson Store Service Company of Boston.
Oakes Ames had an aptitude for mechanics. In early life he took a great interest in athletics, being principally interested in baseball, in which he was locally celebrated as a pitcher, and in bicycle contests in which he took a number of prizes. He attended the primary schools of Canton, was graduated from the Canton High School, and then entered the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with the class of 1885. After two years at the Institute he entered upon the active duties of life with the Kinsley Iron and Machine Works of Canton, of which he eventually became President. Upon his father's death he became President of the Lamson Store Service Company and recognizing the great possibilities of pneumatic transmission he developed apparatus along this line. The Lamson Company became connected with the American Pneumatic Service Company of which he was elected Vice-President. At the time of his death he was, in addition to the above positions, President of the Martin Cash Carrier Company and the Air Line Carrier Company, Director of the Batcheller Pneumatic Company, Chicago Postal Pneumatic Tube Company, Boston Pneumatic Transit Company, International Pneumatic Service Company, Massachusetts Pneumatic Tube Company, New York Mail & Transportation Company and St. Louis Pneumatic Tube Company. He was also associated with gas and electric companies in several Massachusetts cities and with other corporations. He was a member of the Massachusetts Automobile Club, the Country Club, the Norfolk Country Club, the Hoosick Whisick, and the Engineers Clubs. Mr. Ames was a Republican in his affiliations, but in the late division of the party, joined with the Progressive wing. He never aspired to political office, but was content to devote his energies to the promotion of the large interests with which he was connected.
Mr. Ames was married October 28, 1886, to Florence, daughter of Joshua S. and H. Amelia (Thurber) Ingalls of Detroit, Michigan, who survives him. Mrs. Ames is a granddaughter of Ira A. and Huldah (Clark) Thurber and of Simeon and Rhoda (Smith) Ingalls. Mr. Ames is also survived by their three children, Amelia C. Ames, who resides at home, Oakes Ingalls Ames, and Charles E. Ames, both students at Harvard University.
Mr. Ames died in the full tide of a life of great success. He did much, and made a point of doing well everything that he undertook. He was a leader among men, and used his executive ability in promoting financial ventures with a masterly hand. He never betrayed the confidence of those who followed his lead.
His interest in his college class was unusually strong, and his relations with his classmates were among his greatest pleasures. In a tribute to his memory one of his classmates says: - "It is twelve years since Death has entered the ranks of the class of '85. He could have taken no more loyal member, more steadfast friend or truer gentleman than Oakes Ames, whose memory we shall hold perennially fragrant in our hearts." [Source: Biographical History of Massachusetts, Biographies and Autobiographies of the Leading Men in the State, volume VI; by Rev. Paul Revere Frothingham, Massachusetts Biographical Society, Boston, Massachusetts, 1916; BZ, Sub. by FoFG]
Seth Ames, son of Fisher Ames, was born in Dedham, Mass., April 19, 1805, and graduated at Harvard in 1825. Ho studied law at the Harvard Law School, in the office of George Bliss in Springfield, and in the office of Lemuel Shaw in Boston and was admitted to the Court of Common Pleas in Dedham in 1828 and to the Supreme Judicial Court in Cambridge in 1830. He began practice in Lowell, was Representative in 1832, Senator in 1841 and City Solicitor of Lowell from 1842 to 1849. In 1849 he was appointed Clerk of the Courts for Middlesex County and removed to Cambridge, and in 1859 was appointed to the bench of the Superior Court of which he was made Chief Justice in 1867. In 1869 he was appointed Judge of the Supreme Judicial Court and removed to Brookline. He resigned his seat January 15, 1881, and died in Brookline, August 15 in the same year. He married in 1830 Margaret, daughter of Gamaliel Bradford of Boston, and in 1849 Abigail Fisher, daughter of Rev. Samuel Dana of Marblehead. [Source: History of the Judiciary of Massachusetts: By William Thomas Davis; Publ. 1900; Transcribe for Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
HENRY MORRELL ATKINSON
Atkinson, Henry Morrell, capitalist, founder, was born Nov. 13, 1862, in Brookline, Mass. He was educated at Harvard College. Since 1886 he has been a citizen of Atlanta, Ga.; and until 1889 was engaged in the cotton business. He then established the Title guarantee and trust company, of which he is president. He is chairman of the board of directors of the Georgia railway and electric company; and is an officer and director in various other corporations. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by a FoFG (tk)]
JOSEPH MCKEAN CHURCHILL
Joseph McKean Churchill, son of Asaph and Mary (Gardner) Churchill, was born in Milton, Mass., April 29, 1821, and graduated at Harvard in 1840. He graduated at the Harvard Law School in 1845 and was admitted to the Suffolk bar in 1845. He was an Overseer of Harvard from 1856 to 1858, Representative in 1858-59, Councilor in 1860, member of the Constitutional Convention of 1853, Captain of Co. B, 45th Massachusetts Regiment in the war of 1861, and was appointed March 3, 1871, Associate Justice of the Municipal Court of the city of Boston. He married Augusta Phillips Gardner, and died in Milton, March 23, 1886. [Source: History of the Judiciary of Massachusetts: By William Thomas Davis; Publ. 1900; Tr. by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Waldo Colburn, son of Thatcher and Hattie Cleveland Colburn, was born in Dedham, Mass., November 13, 1824. He was educated at the public schools and at Phillips Andover Academy. In 1847 he began to read law with Ira Colburn, of Dedham, and was admitted to the Norfolk bar May 3, 1850, after spending a short time at the Harvard Law School. In 1875 he was appointed Judge of the Superior Court, serving until 1882 when be was appointed to the bench of the Supreme Judicial Court. He was a Representative in 1853-54, Senator in 1870 and for several years the Democratic candidate for Attorney General. He married first, November 21, 1852, Mary Ellis, daughter of Bunker Gay, of Dedham, and second, August 5, 1861, Elizabeth C, daughter of Ezra W. Sampson of Dedham. He remained on the bench until his death September 26, 1885.
GEORGE THOMAS DAVIS
Davis, George Thomas; a Representative from Massachusetts; born in Sandwich, Mass., January 12, 1810; was graduated from Harvard University in 1829; studied law at Cambridge and Greenfield, Mass.; was admitted to the bar in 1832 and commenced practice in Greenfield, Franklin County; established the Franklin Mercury in 1833; member of the State senate in 1839-1840; elected as a Whig to the Thirty-second Congress (March 4, 1851-March 3, 1853); was not a candidate for re-nomination in 1852; resumed the practice of law in Taunton and Greenfield, Mass.; member of the State House of Representatives in 1861; moved to Portland, Maine, where he died June 17, 1877; interment in Green River Cemetery, Greenfield, Mass. [Source: Lamb's biographical dictionary of the United States, Volume 5; Edited by John Howard Brown; Publ. 1903; Tr. by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
WILLIAM CROWNINSHIELD ENDICOTT
William Crowninshield Endicott, son of William Putnam and Mary (Crowninshield) Endicott, was born in Salem November 26, 1826, and graduated at Harvard in 18-17, receiving the degree of LL. D. in 1882. He studied law at the Harvard Law School and in the office of Nathaniel J. Lord of Salem and was admitted to the Essex bar in 1850. He established himself in Salem, and from 1857 to 1864 was City Solicitor of Salem. In 1870 he was the Democratic candidate for Congress, and in 1871-2-3 the Democratic candidate for Attorney General. In 1873 he was appointed to the Supreme Judicial Court and resigned in 1882. In 1884 he was the Democratic candidate for Governor, and in 1885 was appointed Secretary of War by President Cleveland. In 1889 he resumed practice in Salem. He married Ellen, daughter of George Peabody of Salem, December 13, 1859, and died in Boston May 6, 1900. [Source: History of the Judiciary of Massachusetts: By William Thomas Davis; Publ. 1900; Tr. by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
DENNY, Daniel, coal operator; born at Brookline, (Norfolk Co) Mass., July 7, 1864; son of Francis Parkman and Emily Parker (Groom) Denny; father’s occupation Grain Commission business; paternal grandparents Daniel and Harriet (Gardner) Denny; maternal grandparents Thomas and Emily (Parker) Groom; educated private schools and Boston, Mass., Latin, and Harvard College; married Stella Myrick; engaged in real estate, banking and coal mining at Harriman, Tenn.; member of the Unitarian Church. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
FREDERICK D. ELY
Frederick D. Ely, son of Nathan and Amelia Maria (Partridge) Ely, was born in Wrentham, Mass., September 24, 1838, and graduated at Brown in 1859. He studied law in the office of Waldo Colburn of Dedham, and was admitted to the Norfolk bar in October, 1862. He was a Representative from Dedham in 1873, a Senator in 1878-79, and a member of the Forty-ninth Congress. He was appointed October 10, 1888, Associate Justice of the Municipal Court of the city of Boston and is now on the bench. He married, first, in Boston, December 6, 1866, Eliza, daughter of Seth and Harriet E. (Rice) Whittin, and second, at Dedham, August 10, 1885, Anna, daughter of Lyman and Olive Emerson. [Source: History of the Judiciary of Massachusetts: By William Thomas Davis; Publ. 1900; Tr. by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
WILLIAM JONES GRIGGS
A representative of one of the oldest families in Brookline, was born upon the estate he now occupies, June 6, 1821, son of Thomas and Harriet (Fuller) Griggs. The Griggs family, which is of English origin, established itself in Brookline many years prior to the American Revolution; and Mr. Griggs's grandfather, Samuel Griggs, was a native of this town.
Thomas Griggs, who was a lifelong resident of Brookline and who lived to be over ninety eight years old, was a prosperous farmer throughout his active period, and for several years was a member of the Board of Selectmen. He was a highly esteemed citizen and a Deacon of the Baptist church. He married Harriet Fuller, of Needham, Mass., and they had a family of seven children, six of whom are now living: Caroline, who is now Mrs. Coolidge; William J., the subject of this sketch; Mary J., who is now Mrs. Shailer; Ellen, who is now Mrs. Saxe; Thomas B., who resides on Washington Street; Amanda, who is no longer living; and Frank, who resides in Davenport, la. All the survivors but Frank are residents of Brookline.
William J. Griggs began his education in the common schools of Brookline, and completed his studies at the Worcester (Mass.) High School. Turning his attention to farming at an early age, he assisted his father in cultivating the homestead property until the latter's retirement from active labor, when he took the management of the farm; and after his father's death he succeeded to its ownership. The farm, which is kept in a high state of fertility, is very well adapted to market-gardening; and Mr. Griggs's residence on Harvard Street is both desirable and valuable. When a young man Mr. Griggs was a leading spirit in public affairs, serving with ability as a Selectman for a number of years, including the exciting period of the Civil War; and he still retains a lively interest in the general welfare of Brookline, the development of which from a small farming community into the wealthiest and most beautiful town in New England he has witnessed with much satisfaction. Politically, he is a Republican.
Mr. Griggs married Miss Mary Jepson, of Newton, Mass. Their children are: Mary E., who is no longer living; Sadie, wife of Charles Dyer; Frank; and Lulu, wife of Dr. Bowker — all of Brookline. [Source: Biographical Sketches of Representative Citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; Publ. 1901 by Graves & Steinbarger; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
CHARLES H. HOLLIS
HOLLIS, CHARLES H., attorney and counselor at law, real estate and loan broker and abstracter of land titles, Marion; born in Randolph, Norfolk Co., Mass., Aug.1,1837; came to Cedar Rapids in April, 1861; resided there until 1866, being publisher and editor of the Cedar Rapids Times during that period; Mr. H. has been engaged in present business since he came to Marion in 1866. Mrs. Hollis is a daughter of Rev. J. V. DeWitt; she was born in New York State. Mr. and Mrs. Hollis are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. H. is a graduate of Middlebury College at Middlebury, Vt., class of 1860; he read law in Essex Co., N. Y., and at Cedar Rapids. He has held various township offices here. [Source: The history of Linn County Iowa; Western Historical Company; 1878; transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]
From life, by Black.
In the State-House grounds at Boston, alongside the statue of Massachusetts' most celebrated statesman and orator, has been placed that of the subject of this sketch, to whose unselfish devotion to the cause of education the old Bay State is more deeply indebted for her efficient system of public instruction, and especially for her normal training establishments, than to any other of her citizens. During the lifetime of the educator, his renown bore no comparison to that of the brilliant statesman, and it was left for a later generation to see the results of his labors, and fully appreciate them. Horace Mann was born at Franklin, Mass., May 4, 1796. He said of himself that he did not remember the time when he began to work. In common with the other members of the family, he toiled from early youth, even beyond his strength, to obtain the necessaries of life.
CHARLES FRANKLIN MEDBURY
MEDBURY, Charles Franklin; born, Foxboro, Mass., ( Norfolk Co) Aug. 6, 1866; son of Charles E. and Elizabeth (Butters) Medbury; educated in Foxboro public schools and at Brown University, graduating, degree of A.B., 1888; married at Lynn, Mass., Oct. 17, 1889, Mary Durfee. Began active career in employ of Thomson-Houston Electric Co., Jan. 1, 1889; at Lynn, Mass., and Boston, until 1890; manager Montreal office Canadian General Electric Co. from 1890-3; with Westinghouse Electric Manufacturing Co. at Ottawa, 1893-6; manager (for short time business manager) of Electrical World, New York, has been manager at Detroit since Nov., 1897. Member Detroit Engineering Society, Delta Phi. Mason. recreations: Outdoor sports. Clubs; Detroit, Detroit Golf. Office: 27-29 Woodward Av. Residence: 36 Delaware Av. [The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright 1908 - Submitted by Andrea Strawski Pack]
THOMAS HAMILTON MURRAY
MURRAY, Thomas Hamilton, journalist and historian, was born in Brookline, Mass., May 25, 1857; son of Robert and Margaret (McGinnis) Murray; grandson of Thomas and Ellen (McCarthy) Murray, and great-grandson of Luke and Mary (Porter) Murray. His father was born in Cork county, Ireland, and his mother at Cornwallis, Nova Scotia, of Irish parentage. He was educated in the schools of Brookline, Newton, Cambridge and Boston, Mass.; engaged in daily journalism at Boston for several years; edited daily papers in Providence, R.I., Bridgeport and Meriden, Conn., Lawrence, Mass., and Woonsocket, R.I.; was one of the founders of the American-Irish Historical society in 1897, and was elected secretary-general of the same. He was married, April 13, 1885, to Mary H. Sullivan of Boston, Mass. He is the author of many papers on historical, genealogical, literary and educational subjects, and in collaboration with the Hon. John C. Linehan of Concord, N.H., wrote: Irish Schoolmasters in the American Colonies, 1640-1775 (1898); and with George Washington of Dublin, Ireland, The Irish Washingtons at Home and Abroad (1898); Among his published papers are: The Libraries of Boston (1882); The Old Schoolmasters of Boston (1884); The Mason Name in New England History (1884); The Thayers in America (1884); Thirty Historic American Families (1889); The Irish Chapter in the History of Brown University (1896); The Irish Soldiers in King Philip’s War, 1675-6 (1896); The Dempsey Name, Old and Puissant (1896); Some Patricks of the American Revolution (1897); Five Colonial Rhode Islanders (1897); The Irish Murrays and Their American Descendants (1900); The Romance of Sarah Alexander (mother of Commodore Perry) (1901); The Story of Miss Fitzgerald, Dartmouth, Mass., 1687 (1901); Richard Dexter, Irishman, Massachusetts Bay Colonist, 1641 (1902). (Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
NASON, Elias, clergyman and author, was born in Wrentham, Mass., April 21, 1811. He was graduated from Brown university, A.B., 1835, A.M., 186, and taught in Cambridge, Mass., 1835-36, and in Augusta, Ga., 1836-40. He edited the Watch Tower, Newburyport, Mass.; was a teacher of the Latin and high school, 1840-49, and master of the high school at Milford, Mass., 1849-52. He was pastor of the First church (Congregational) at Natick, 1852-58; pastor at Medford, 1858-60; Exeter, N.H., 1860-65; resided at North Billerica, Mass., 1865-87; was pastor at Dracut, Mass., 1865-77, and at Lowell, Mass., 1877-85. He served as a member of the Christian commission during the civil war; was a member of the New England Historic Genealogical society; of the New York Historical society, and of the American Antiquarian society. He edited the New England Historical and Genealogical Register and is the author of: Songs for the School Room (1842); Christomathie Francaise (1849); Memoir of Rev. Nathaniel Howe (1851); Thou Shalt Not Steal (1852); Strength and Beauty of the Sanctuary (1854); Congregational Hymn Book (1857); Hymn and Tune Book (1858); Our Obligations to Defend Our Country, and Sermons on the War (1861); Songs for Social and Public Worship (1862); Eulogy on Edward Everett (1865); Fountains of Salvation (1865); Eulogy on Abraham Lincoln (1865); Life of Sir Charles Henry Frankland (1865); Gazetteer of Massachusetts (1872); Life of Henry Wilson (1872); Lives of Moody and Sankey (1872); History of Middlesex County (1872); and left in manuscript a History of Hopkinton and History of the Nason Family. He died in North Billerica, Mass., June 17, 1887. (Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
FREDERICK LAW OLMSTED
Olmsted, Frederick Law, landscape architect and founder of the profession, was born in Hartford, Conn., April 26, 1822. He was a descendant of James Olmsted, who came from Essex, England, to Boston. Massachusetts Bay Colony, on ship Lyon, and settled in Newtowne (Cambridge), in September, 1632. He removed to the Hartford Colony in 1636, where with his brother, Richard Olmsted was an original proprietor of the colony. His father John Olmsted son of Benjamin and Contest (Pitkin) Olmsted married Charlotte Hull, daughter of Samuel and Abigal (Doolittle) Hull. When Frederick Law Olmsted had obtained his secondary school training in the schools of Hartford at the age of eighteen, he shipped as a seaman on a vessel trading with China and India, and on retiring from the merchant marine service in 1845. He took a two years course of study in agricultural science and engineering at Yale College. In 1846 he removed to central New York to engage in practical farming in that section, as a farm laborer. He soon after became the owner and manager of a farm on Staten Island, N. Y. In 1850 and 1851 he made a pedestrian tour through Great Britain and the Continent, to observe the condition of Agriculture and to note the progress made in farming; he made a horse hack trip through the south western states of the United States in 1852-1853.
He studied the parks and gardens of France, Italy and Germany in 1856, his traveling companion being Calvert Vaux, of New York, their aim being to perfect plans to he submitted in competition for Central Hark, N. Y.; their plans were accepted and they were employed to superintend their execution during 1857-61. This work became the first great monument to Mr. Olmsted's skill as a landscape architect. He was married June 13, 1859, to Mary Cleveland, daughter of Dr. Henry and Sarah (Jones) Perkins, of Oswego, N. Y. During the Civil War, as secretary of the United States Sanitary Commission, he directed its great work in preserving the health of the soldiers in the field, camp and hospital. He directed the survey of the Yosemite Park reservation, California, being chairman of the commission appointed by the government for that purpose, 1864-66. He laid out and superintended the construction of Prospect Park. Brooklyn, N. Y. in collaboration with Calvert Vaux in 1866. This work was followed by the Riverside and Morningside Parks. New York; several parks and parkways in Chicago, Buffalo, Bridgeport, Rochester, Trenton, Wilmington, Del.; the terrace and grounds of the National Capitol at Washington. He laid out the parks and parkway system of Boston, and the landscape beauty of the town of Brookline led to his making it his home. He was one of the founders of the Union League Club of New York City in 1863. He received the honorary degree of A. M., from Harvard in 1864, and from Amherst in 1867, and the honorary degree of L.L. D. from Harvard and from Yale in 1893. He wrote: "Walks and Talks of an American Farmer in England" (1852); "A Journey to the Slave States, with Remarks on their Economy" (1856); "A Journey through Texas, or a Saddle Trip on the South Western Frontier, with a Statistical Appendix" (1857); "A Journey in the Back Country" (1860); and "The Cotton Kingdom (2 vols., 1861), which was a condensed edition of the preceding four books. Mr. Olmsted was succeeded in his profession by his stepson and nephew. John C. Olmsted, and by his son Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., born July 24, 1870, the well known landscape architect of Brookline. Mr. Olmsted died while a patient in hospital at Waverly, Mass. August 28, 1903. [Source: A History of Brookline, Massachusetts 1630-1926; By John William Denehy; Publ. 1906; Pg. 126; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
GEORGE PARTRIDGE SANGER
George Partridge Sanger, son of Rev. Ralph and Charlotte (Kingman) Sanger, was born in Dover, Mass., November 27, 1819, and graduated at Harvard in 1840. He studied law at the Harvard Law School and while in the school was a tutor in Latin at Harvard. He was admitted to the Suffolk bar February 9, 1816, and after practicing as a partner first with Stephen H. Phillips and afterwards with Charles G. Davis, was appointed Assistant United States District Attorney in 1849. In January, 1853, he was appointed to the staff of Governor John H. Clifford, and on the 30th of September in that year was appointed Commonwealth or District Attorney. In 1854 he was appointed Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and remained on the bench until the dissolution of the Court in 1859. In 1861 he was reappointed District Attorney, serving until his resignation in 1866. In 1873 he was appointed United States Attorney by President Grant and reappointed by Presidents Hayes and Arthur. He was a Representative in 1873 and was editor of the American Almanac from 1848 to 1860. He married, September 14, 1846, Elizabeth Sherburne, daughter of William Whipple and Eleanor (Sherburne) Thompson, of Portsmouth, N. H., and died at Swampscott, July 3, 1890. [Source: History of the Judiciary of Massachusetts: By William Thomas Davis; Publ. 1900; Tr. by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
CHARLES PERKINS THOMPSON
Charles Perkins Thompson, son of Frederick M. and Susannah (Cheeseman) Thompson, was born in Braintree, Mass., July 30, 1827, and after studying law in the office of Benjamin F. Hallett in Boston, was admitted to the Suffolk bar in 1854. In 1857 he moved to Gloucester, from which place he was a Representative in 1871-2. From 1874 to 1876 he was a member of Congress, in 1877 received an honorary degree of Master of Arts from Amherst, and in 1880 and 1881 was the Democratic candidate for Governor of Massachusetts. He married, in 1861, Abbie Herrick of Gloucester. In 1885 he was appointed Judge of the Superior Court, and died while on the bench, in Gloucester, January 19, 1894. [Source: History of the Judiciary of Massachusetts: By William Thomas Davis; Publ. 1900; Tr. by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Samuel White, son of Samuel and Ann (Bingley) White, was born in Weymouth, Mass., April 2, 1710, and graduated at Harvard in 1731. He studied law while in service as Deputy Sheriff, and after admission to the bar settled in Taunton in 1739. In 1746, the year Taunton became the shire of Bristol County, to succeed the town of Bristol, which had been declared by a Royal Commission to belong to Rhode Island, he was appointed King's Attorney and held that office until his death. He was a Representative from Taunton from 1749 to 1753, and from 1756 to 1759, and in 1764 and 1765, serving as Speaker of the House of Representatives in 1750-1764 and 1765. He was also a member of the Council from 1767 to 1769. He married, in November, 1735, Prudence, daughter of Samuel Williams of Taunton, and died March 20, 1769. [Source: History of the Judiciary of Massachusetts: By William Thomas Davis; Publ. 1900; Tr. by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Biographical Sketches Of The Professional Sons And Sons-In-Law Of Franklin from "A History of the Town of Franklin, Mass" By Mortimer Blake; Publ. 1879
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails