Short History of Alcona Co
Alcona county wns first laid out in 1840 and was flrst called Negwegon, after
a well known Chippewa chief. It was afterwards named Alcona, meaning, "A fine
or excellent plain" and was organized as a county in 1869. It is one of the eastern
tier of counties and is located towards the northern part of the Lower Peninsula.
The total land area is 435,247.34 acres, of which 105,000 acres are in farms, producing good crops.
The population is 5,703 (1910 census). The valuation of taxable
property is estimated by the state board of tax commissioners in 1911 as $2,021,885.
The county has a large lake frontage, being bounded entirely on the east by Lake
There are 43 schools which were attended by 1,557 pupils last year, requiring
the services of 48 teachers. The county has telephone, telegraph and rural mail
service, 3 banks and 2 newspapers. One paper is published at Harrisville and the
other at Lincoln.
Harrlsville, which is the county seat, has a population of about 500 and is
located on the main line of the Detroit, Mackinac Railroad, on the west shore
of Lake Huron in Harrisvllle township, about 200 miles above Detroit, 100 above
Bay City and 34 miles south of Alpena. There are Baptist, Catholic, Presbyterian
and Methodist churches, new six room high school, court house, agricultural hall,
good hotel, roller flouring-mllls, creamery, contract seed house, electric lighting
plant, a bank and one newspaper.
The other principal towns are Lincoln and Mikado, both located on the Detroit
& Mackinac Railroad to tbe southwest of Harrisville — each having a bank and
churches of different denominations, hotel, flour-mills, etc.
The principal transportation facilities of the county are the Detroit & Mackinac
Railroad and the Au Sable & Northwestern Railroad.
Source: Alcona's Bowen's Michigan State Altas 1916 (B.F. Bowen)