There are more biographies in the book, "History of Traverse Region" here
BANOWSKE, August F.
It is always most gratifying to the biographist and student of human nature to come in close touch with the history of a man who, in the face of almost insurmountable obstacles, has plodded persistently on and eventually, through his determination and energy, made of success not an accident but a logical result. August F. Banowske, who maintains his home at Bellaire, Antrim county, Michigan, is strictly a "self-made" man and as such a perusal of his career offers both lesson and incentive. He has been eminently successful as a tailor whose merit extends beyond the bounds of this city and he has ever manifested a deep and sincere interest in all matters pertaining to the good of the community.
A native of the great Empire of Germany, August F. Banowske was born at Kulm on the 4th of August, 1876, and he is a son of David and Lina (Lorenz) Banowske, both of whom were born and reared in Germany, whence they emigrated to America about the year 1890, location being made at Bellaire, where they remained until their death. The first in order of birth in a family of two children, August F. Banowske passed his boyhood and youth in his native land, where he received his rudimentary educational training. He remained at home until he had attained to the age of fourteen years and when he had reached his sixteenth year he entered upon an apprenticeship at the tailor's trade, the same to consist of three years' service. Shortly after he began his work his parents removed to America and he being bound was forced to remain behind. He worked diligently for two years and at the expiration of that time, having carefully conserved his earnings, he was able to purchase his release from his master. This he did and immediately emigrated to America, proceeding direct to Bellaire from New York, where he disembarked. After visiting for a time at the home of his parents, he went to Mancelona, where he worked for three years for the late G. A. Birk. Returning to Bellaire, in 1897. he entered the employ of Will Stoll, remaining with him for four years. He then went to Thompsonville, Michigan, where he followed the work of his trade for a time, eventually buying the concern from his employer. In May, 1901, however, he decided that Bellaire was a better place for his business than Thompsonville and he then returned to Bellaire, where he opened a merchant tailoring establishment, equipped with a choice line of goods. His increasing business compelled him to make a number of changes and as time passed and rent became higher he decided to build a shop for himself. He secured an option on a piece of land on the west side of the principal street in Bellaire and in short order purchased the lot. He immediately began the erection of a store and workshop and in November, 1901, he moved into one of the finest store-buildings in Bellaire. During the intervening years to the present time, Mr. Banowske has built up a permanent and substantial business, relying upon his work and the high class of goods he carries as his best advertisement.
Mr. Banowske solicits no business outside the walls of his store, in fact, he does no personal soliciting at all, depending solely upon the quality of his work to bring him new customers. He carries nothing that he cannot recommend and he never falls short of making good on a promise. He handles a full line of tailor's trimmings, as well as a large stock of gentlemen's furnishings. Moreover, his trade is not limited to home' patronage but orders are placed with him by traveling men who know and appreciate the high grade of the work turned out in his establishment. He even has patrons from as far away as Boston, Massachusetts, and in no instance has he ever failed to give the utmost satisfaction. His shop is supplied with the latest of improvements and labor-saving devices and nothing that contributes to better and quicker work is omitted.
In his political convictions Mr. Banowske is aligned as a stalwart supporter of the cause of the Republican party and he is ever on the alert and enthusiastically in sympathy with all measures and enterprises advanced for the general welfare. He has been honored by his fellow citizens with election to a number of offices of public trust and responsibility and in each of them he has discharged the duties devolving upon him with the greatest efficiency. In the spring of 1904 he was elected treasurer of Bellaire and in 1905 he was chosen as his own successor in that office. In April, 1905, he was elected clerk of Kearney township, remaining in tenure of that position for three years. In the spring of 1911 he was elected treasurer of Kearney township and he is serving in that capacity at the present time. When a child of seven years of age Mr. Banowske met with an accident in which his knee cap was broken. The surgical facilities at hand in those early days were of so crude a nature that when the wound healed the knee remained stiff and for twenty-one long years he was obliged to use a crutch. On the 14th of December, 1903, through the efforts of a local physician, an operation was performed in which the knee joint was removed and the bones of the thigh and lower limb united. While the injured limb is slightly shorter than the other one no cane has to be used for support and the operation on a whole was a decided success.
On the 8th of September, 1908, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Banowske to Miss Ida Bell Sampson, who was born and reared at Sumpter, Wayne county, Michigan, and who is a daughter of John E. and Annie Sampson, who are now living in their beautiful home at Bellaire. John E. Sampson was a gallant and faithful soldier in the war of the Rebellion and he was honorably discharged from service in 1865. In 1886 he removed, with his family, to Bellaire, where he is now living virtually retired, in the full enjoyment of former years of earnest toil and endeavor. During the major portion of his active business career he was identified with agricultural pursuits, in which line of enterprise he achieved prominent success. Mr. and Mrs. Banowske have no children. In religious faith Mrs. Banowske is a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church and they are both popular and prominent in the best social activities of Bellaire. In a fraternal way Mr. Banowske is affiliated with the Elks and his wife is connected with the Order of the Maccabees. He is also a valued and appreciative member of the Modern Woodmen of America and in the various relations of life he has so conducted himself as to command the unalloyed confidence and esteem of his fellow men. [History of Northern Michigan and its people, Volume 3 By Perry Francis Powers, Harry Gardner Cutler 1912]
Elmer Blosser, is most successfully engaged in the farming and stock-raising business on his fine estate of eighty acres in Section 23, LeRoy township, Calhoun county, Michigan. Mr. Blosser was born at Logan, Hawkins county, Ohio, June 9, 1864, and he is a son of Nicholas Blosser, who was born in the Buckeye state April 1, 1840. The father was reared and educated in Ohio and in that state was solemnized his marriage, in 1863, to Miss Mary Downer, who bore him three children, as follows: Elmer, the immediate subject of this review; Libby, who is the wife of John Gallagher, of Traverse City, Michigan; and Nora, widow of the late H. Miller; she resides in Traverse City. In 1868 the Blosser family left Ohio and came to Michigan, locating in Branch county, where Mrs. Blosser died in 1875. Subsequently Mr. Blosser married Etta Garber. In 1878 the family removed from Branch county to Antrim county and thence to Indiana, some years later, the home was established in Minnesota but later Mr. Blosser returned to Antrim county, Michigan, where he and his wife are now living. He is a stalwart Republican in his political allegiance and in religious matters he and his wife are members of the Menonite church, in which faith they reared their children. A child of five years of age at the time of his parents' removal to Branch county, Michigan, Elmer Blosser was there reared to the age of fourteen years, when the family settled in Antrim county. In the latter place he completed his educational training and at the age of fifteen years entered the Railroad Telegraph office at Mancelona. After thoroughly familiarizing himself with the art of telegraphy he followed that line of enterprise for the ensuing seven years, at the expiration of which he accepted a position as brakeman on the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railway three years. After his marriage, in 1890, he was variously engaged until 1896. when he came to Calhoun county and purchased a farm of eighty acres in LeRoy township. For the next ten years he devoted his attention to diversified agriculture and the raising of high-grade stock but in 1906 railroading again called him and from that time until 1911 he was in the employ of the Grand Trunk Railroad, his headquarters being at Toronto. Since 1911, however, he has resided on his farm, which is in a high state of improvement and which ranks as one of the most productive estates in LeRoy township. In the midst of well cultivated fields are substantial farm buildings, thoroughly equipped with modern conveniences, the same being ample proof of the excellent ability and management of their owner.
In his political affiliations Mr. Blosser accords an uncomprising allegiance to the principles and policies for which the Democratic party stands sponsor. He has never participated actively in local politics but is deeply interested in community affairs and is ever on the alert to do all in his power to advance the general welfare. He is a self-made man in the most significant sense of the word and is well deserving of the unqualified confidence and esteem accorded him by his fellow citizens. In 1886, at Mancelona, Michigan, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Blosser to Miss Minnie Lybarker, a daughter of Asbury and Julia Lybarker. The former was engaged in farming enterprises during his active career, he is now deceased. [History of Calhoun County, Michigan: a narrative account of its historical ... By Washington Gardner 1913]
LINE, David A.
The present able incumbent of the office of town clerk of Mancelona township and of the village of Mancelona, has been a resident of Antrim county since 1880 and the years have told the tale of an eminently successful career due to unusual executive ability and tremendous energy. Mr. Line has just reason to be proud of the fact that to his efforts can be traced many a substantial enterprise contributing greatly to the growth and prosperity of this section of the county. In every sense of the word he is a representative citizen and by reason of his exemplary life and unusual devotion to the good of the community in which he resides he is accorded the unalloyed confidence and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact. In connection with his other interests he is the owner of a fine farm in Mancelona township, the same being occupied by tenants and run on shares. A native of the fine old Keystone state of the Union, David A. Line was born at Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, on the 5th of February 1856. He is a son of John B. and Margaret Line, both of whom are now deceased. The father established the family home at Fostoria, Ohio, in the year 1863. and there the young David received his preliminary educational training. The father was engaged in the agricultural business during most of his active career and he and his wife became the parents of three children, of whom the subject of this review was the second in order of birth. In the year 1880 David A. Line came to Michigan, locating on a farm in Mancelona township, in Antrim county. This estate, which comprises eighty acres, is still owned by Mr. Line but it is now worked on shares. In 1899 he met with an accident on a railroad crossing, the same having resulted in the loss of a leg. In 1899 removal was made to the village of Maneeloua, where he purchased a house and four lots. In the spring of 1900 he was elected to the office of township clerk and by continuous re-election to that office he has remained in tenure thereof during the long intervening years to the present time. In March, 1900, he was made village clerk, another position of which he has been incumbent down to the present. In 1901 he drafted a special act, which was passed by the legislature of Michigan, the same relating to the building of roads in the township of Mancelona. As a result of this amendment the town of Mancelona was enabled to build its own roads and thus escape being taxed to build roads in other sections. Mr. Line has always been a prominent factor in the introduction of improvements in the village and he has had the satisfaction of seeing a large number of his suggestions adopted, such as water works and the installation of an electric-lighting plant. He is at present secretary and treasurer of the Mancelona Creamery Company, of which he is likewise a director and stockholder. At Fostoria, Ohio, in the year 1879, Mr. Line was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Wyar, who was reared and educated in the close vicinity of Fostoria, where her parents were long engaged in farming operations. Mr. and Mrs. Line have three children, concerning whom the following brief record is here inserted,—Emma Maud is the wife of Fred Besan, of Mancelona; Ida May is now Mrs. Hugh Miller, of this village ; and Myrtle Leota is a popular and successful teacher in the public schools of Mancelona. Mrs. Miller is town librarian at Mancelona and she has held that responsible position ever since the establishment of the library here. In their religious faith the Line family are attendants of the Methodist Episcopal church, to whose charities and benevolences they are most liberal contributors. Mr. Line has ever manifested a deep and sincere interest in educational affairs and for a number of years past he has been a school director and moderator of the Mancelona township schools. In fraternal circles Mr. Line is a valued and appreciative member of the local lodges of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Knights of the Maccabees, being finance keeper of the latter. Mr. Line is a man of fine mentality and broad human sympathy, he thoroughly enjoys home life and takes great pleasure in the society of his family and friends. He is always courteous, kindly and affable, and those who know him personally accord him the highest esteem. Mr. and Mrs. Line's lives have been exemplary in all respects and they have ever supported those interests which are calculated to uplift and benefit humanity, while their own high moral worth is deserving of the highest commendation. [A history of northern Michigan and its people, Volume 3 By Perry Francis Powers, Harry Gardner Cutler]
VAN TASSEL, Hiram
The early settlers of the West and Northwest of this country have been for the most part men who were born to poverty and privation and who learned early in life the lessons of self-denial and self-reliance, and by taking care of themselves acquired readiness in emergencies and resourcefulness under all circumstances. To this type belongs Hiram Van Tassel, an influential citizen of Routt county, conducting a large and profitable ranching and cattle industry five miles east of Craig. Mr. Van Tassel was born on March 15, 1859, in Antrim county, Michigan , and is the son of Andrew and Adeline Van Tassel, the father a native of Pennsylvania and the mother of England . They became residents of Michigan in early days and in that state they passed the remainder of their lives, the mother dying in 1859 and the father on January 20, 1890. The father was a gunsmith and carpenter, and working at these crafts he achieved a gratifying success. He was a Democrat in political faith and an Odd Fellow in fraternal relations. Five children were born in the family, only two of whom are living, Hiram and his older brother Charles. Hiram was obliged to look out for himself at an early age and consequently his opportunities for education at the schools were very limited. Until he reached the age of twenty years he was variously employed in Michigan , Pennsylvania and Illinois . In 1879 he became a resident of Colorado , and, locating at Lake City , he furnished supplies for the John J. Crook mines under contract, continuing in the business until he "went broke" at it in 1881. He then turned his attention to raising cattle near the boundary line between Gunnison and Saguache counties, and remained there so occupied until September, 1903. He then sold the ranch of one thousand acres which he had acquired, getting a good price for it, and moved to the one he now occupies, which he bought. It comprises three hundred and sixty acres and he has one hundred and fifty acres in a good state of fertility and productiveness, raising hay, grain, small fruits and vegetables in abundance, but finding cattle and hay his most prolific and profitable products. He is an enterprising and progressive citizen, and shows an earnest interest in every phase of the development and growth of his community. Fraternally he belongs to the Woodmen of the World, and politically he is independent. Mr. Van Tassel was married on February 3, 1887, to Miss Lydia J. Lovell, a native of Will county, Illinois , born on January 4, 1860. They have had four children, of whom one daughter named Pearl died on April 3, 1896, and Olive F., Earl A. and Blanche P. are living. In his long life in this state Mr. Van Tassel has had many trials, endured many hardships and taken part in many thrilling incidents. He witnessed the capture of Packer, the noted cannibal, and helped to build the scaffold on which he was to have been hanged. He also witnessed the hanging of Betts and Downing, two notorious outlaws. The last words of Downing were, "Give me a chew of tobacco." While at work at the smelter Mr. Van Tassel also witnessed the shooting of his partner, George Young. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado , Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Physician; born, Elk Rapids, Mich., Dec. 23, 1864; son of Rev. Lercy (D. D.) and Frances A. (Wadsworth) Warren; educated in Preparatory Department Olivet College to 1880; Olivet College, graduating, degree of A. B., 1886, A. M., 1889; Medical Department, University of Michigan, degree of M. D., 1889; post-graduate course, University of Vienna, 1895, University of Heidelberg, Germany, 1896; married at Flint, Mich., Feb. I4, 1895, Adelaide Fenton Birdsall. Began in practice at Kalamazoo, Mich., i889; practiced at Flint, Mich., 1891-94, and in Detroit since 1896. Member Detroit Academy of Medicine (president), Wayne County and Michigan State Medical societies, American Medical Association, American Academy of Medicine. Republican. Clubs: Detroit, University, Country, Detroit Boat. Recreation: Yachting. Office: 712 Washington Arcade, Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich. [The Book Of Detroiters By Albert Nelson Marquis, A.N. Marquis & Co., 1908]
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails