Mancelona

Antrim County MI

The town of Mancelona was organized by act of legislature, approved Jan. 18, 1871, and embraced the territory of Townships 29 north, of Ranges 1, 2, 3 and 4, of Otsego County, and Townships 29 north of Ranges 5 and 6 of Antrim County. The first election was held at the house of Perry Andress on the first Mon- day of April, 1871, and Perry Andrus, C. S. Brink and W. H. Bonny were inspectors of election.
The Traverse Region - H.R. Page & Co 1884 Pg 255



State Street Looking West, Mancelona MI - Contributed by Christine Walters



The Traverse Region - H.R. Page & Co 1884 Pg 268-278

Mancelona is one of the most thriving villages on the line of the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad, between Petoskey and Cadillac, being about forty miles south of the first mentioned place. The situation of the village is excellent, being the chief railroad point in the county, and is surrounded by choice farming lands of an excellent quality, producing wheat, corn, oats, buckwheat, clover and timothy, etc. These lands are being rapidly settled, as they can be purchased at from $7 to 310 per acre. The location is upon the central plateau, and the surrounding country is just broken enough to give it a picturesque appearance. Some of the finest farms in northern Michigan are being made in this immediate region.

The first movements at this point having tiny connection with a village were in the spring of 1872 by Leander C. Handy and A. H. Carpenter, who opened a store and established the nucleus of a business center. Prior to that time Section 20. upon a portion of which the village is located, had been occupied a short time. Perry Andress, after residing several years in Lapeer and St. Joseph Counties, Benton Harbor and Allegan, came with his family in 1869 to where Mancelona now is, before the township was organized. He took the site of the Mancelona Hotel and vicinity as a homestead. He erected the hotel building and opened a place of public entertainment when the railroad was just being surveyed. He also gave some attention to lumbering. In 1880 he removed to Petoskey, purchased the Occidental Hotel, and kept it until his death, March 11, 1881.

The town and village of Mancelona were named from Mr. Andress youngest daughter, Mancelona Andress, now of Petoskey.

Marshal St. John Passage, farmer, was born in Nunda, N.Y., in 1837. In 1861 he came to Lansing, Mich., and in the fall of 1871 he settled in Mancelona, having located lands there one year previous. Mr. Passage had been married in 1859 to Miss Margaret Fox, of Herkimer County, N. Y. She died Feb. 4, 1881. Mr. Passage has five daughters and one son, Bertie Ulysses, the first male child born in Mancelona Township. He thinks that when he came there were only three houses between Mancelona and Spencer Creek. The place was a beautiful but almost unbroken forest. He was over eleven days in coming with the team from Lansing by the way of Big Rapids, Sherman and Traverse City to Mancelona. There was only one store running in Traverse City. Mr. Passage kept public entertainment at the Mountain House over a year, and while there he and his family nearly lost their lives by a contagions fever brought in by foreigners. He now has some thirty acres cleared on his farm, with good buildings and a comfortable home. He is a member of the Congregational Church. He also has on his place a beautiful lake of pure spring water, now stocked with fish, and from which by an engine he supplies water for the railway tank at the blast furnace.

Leander C. Handy, postmaster, was born in the state of New York in 1889, and came with his parents to Albion, Mich., when six months old. There be spent his youth and received his early education. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in the First Michigan Infantry at the early call of his country among the three month volunteers. He took part in the notable Bull Run conflict, and at that time spent five months in the service. In August, 1868, he enlisted in the Eleventh Michigan Cavalry as quartermaster sergeant and served as drill master while in rendezvous at Kalamazoo. Later he, with his regiment, was largely engaged in scouting and raiding through eastern Kentucky and western Virginia. In the summer of 1866 they spent over five weeks in a single raid through eastern Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama, riding day and night, only stopping two days and one night in the whole time, except to feed, burning bridges, destroying railroads and cotton and tobacco factories, and whatever could be of service to the rebels. At Salisbury, N. C, they captured eight guns and 1,800 prisoners.

Mr. H. and four others took two captains, two lieutenants and seventeen privates. He still has the sword which he took from one of the captains, and a saddle taken from a rebel bushwhacker. After this raid he was commissioned as a First. Lieutenant, but did not choose to muster as the war seemed at a close. He was honorably discharged in August, 1865.

Mr. Handy then returned to Albion, his old home, and in the spring of 1872 he came to Mancelona, and, with Mr. A. D. Carpenter, purchased premises and built a store, and opened a line of general merchandise, and has been in the trade ever since; but his attention is now chiefly devoted to postoffice duties. He has been supervisor, notary public and school officer, and has served as postmaster nearly nine years, he has a wife and two children. Mr. Handy is a charier member among the Free Masons and Odd Fellows, and in the Grand Army of the Republic. He bought the first village lot sold in this place, and built the first frame building a store. He sold the first merchandise, bought the first load of wheat brought to this market by a farmer, Mr. Walbrook, and also bought the first load of apples. He shipped the first carload of wheat, and the first and only carload of rye ever shipped at this point. He has taken a leading part with others of this village in securing such growing enterprises as the blast furnace, operated by J. Otis A Co., the Mancelona handle factory, the sash, blind and door factory and the butter-dish factory. These and similar industries and enterprises seem destined to make Mancelona village at an early day the leading place between Petoskey and Cadillac.

A. D. Carpenter, who came at the same time as Mr. Hardy, is a native of Tompkins County, N. V., and came to Jackson County, Mich., in 1846. He was in the army from September, 1863, until the close of the war, serving in Company A, Eleventh Michigan Infantry. When the village of Boyne Falls started, Mr. Carpenter went there and carried on mercantile business about nine years. He is now engaged in the drug business at Mancelona with Mr. Handy. The second store was started by Marshall Emery, and for a long time the two stores constituted the principal, and about the only business interests of the place.

Soon after Messrs. Handy and Carpenter came, a postoffice was established, with Perry Andress as postmaster. He kept the office in his hotel about a year, and was then succeeded by Mr. Handy, who still retains the office.

The first school was kept by Rebecca Filer, at the Mountain House, in 1871. There were four pupils.

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
The Congregational Church in Mancelona was gathered and organized under the labors of Rev. J. R. Savage, in 1874. They have a fine church on State Street, and an inviting field of usefulness open before them. The pastor in 1884 is Rev. Mr. Rutter, formerly of England.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
Mancelona was first supplied with occasional Methodist Episcopal preaching by Revs. M. Browning, and N. E. Preston, from 1878 to 1875. Mancelona and Kalkaska circuit was organized by Rev. A. P. Moors, P. E., and supplied by Rev. J. Greenstead in 1877 and '78. Next Rev. O. J. Golden was pastor. Mancelona was made a separate charge in 1880, Rev. A. J. Eldred, P. E., Rev. J. McKinley, pastor. In 1881 Rev. J. R. Savage was pastor, followed by Rev. Charles Jones in 1882 and '88. An excellent and commodious church edifice was dedicated Oct. 22, 1882. The first board of trustees consisted of Josiah Potter, S. M. Beane, S. F. Hill, E. Allans, A. G. Jackson, Perry Andress and J. E. Glines, A wide field of Christian effort invites the zeal and activity of the people.

Charles H. Miller, contractor and builder, was born in Troy, N. Y., Sep. 29, 1851, and came with his parents to Detroit, Mich., while an infant. He learned his trade in Jackson County, and migrated to Mancelona in March, 1877, before there were any mills or factories in the place. There were only seven frame houses and one log house, stores and all. He engaged at that time as clerk for Mr. L. C. Handy, but a year later he engaged in his mechanical calling, and has most of the time been overstocked with patronage. One fine specimen of his work is the residence of R. A. Smith, Main Street. On April 24, 1878, Mr. Miller was married to Miss Trypbena Graham, of Mancelona. They have one son, Claude Edward. Little Thomas Eugene died of diphtheria, July 21, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. M. are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has served three years as constable in Mancelona. Mrs. Miller was born in Chatham, Province of Quebec, Nov. 14, 1869. She came with her parents to Cold Springs, Mich., in May, 1872. Her stepfather, Samuel Bigrow, and her mother were the first settlers in that township, and were at first six miles from any neighbor. They brought with them sixteen cattle, and were about four days in driving them from Charlevoix to the home. He had to open the road track six miles to reach his place. On approaching the home, bringing the family with an ox team, the wagon suddenly upset, one child was killed and another badly hurt, throwing unspeakable gloom upon the family, but they braved the trials as true pioneers, and lived in a tent until a dwelling was prepared. They now have sixty acres improved on their lands, with a fruit bearing orchard, and numerous home conveniences, which are now rented, and they at present reside at Leetsville.

Hiram H. Bradford, millman, was born in Berkshire, Franklin County, Vt. April 6, 1880. He spent his youth in his native state, employed chiefly in farming. On Oct. 20, 1850, he was married to Miss Martha Chapin, also of Berkshire. She was born there Aug. 11, 1831. They have two sons and four daughters. In 1855 Mr. Bradford emigrated to Wisconsin, and on July 12, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Fourth Wisconsin Infantry, to serve his country in the suppression of the rebellion. He fought at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, at the siege of Port Hudson, and at the battle of the Tache. besides numerous smaller engagements. In July, 1863, be was transferred from the infantry to the cavalry. In January, 1864, Mr. B. and most of his regiment re-enlisted as veterans. The most dangerous part of his warfare was in bunting and capturing guerrillas, and this occupied two and a half years of his service. After the close of the war his regiment was moved to Texas, and in September, 1865, he resigned, received his discharge, and returned home. During his service he was promoted from first sergeant to first lieutenant. He and his family came to Elk Rapids, Mich., Aug. 11, 1871, Mrs. Bradfords thirty-ninth birthday. They located land and prepared them a home in the dense wilderness of Mancelona. Their youngest son, three months old, Mrs. Bradford, walking, carried in her arms nearly all the way from Spencer Creek, a distance of twelve miles. Their dwelling was the third house built in Mancelona. All their building material, provisions, etc., had to be procured at Elk Rapids, brought to Spencer Creek by water, and hauled the rest of the way with teams. Common lumbar was six dollars per thousand, and cost eight dollars per thousand for hauling. They often carried their provisions on their back, as there were scarcely any teams in the place. Those were days of hardship, but they now rejoice in the immunities of a thriving town, with pleasing and prosperous, social, educational sod religious enterprises. Their religious preference is the Congregational Church. Mr. Bradford belongs to the grand army of the republic. He has served as highway commissioner, township treasurer and justice of the peace in Mancelona.

Captain Sheridan F. Hill, a native of Essex County, N. Y. was born Jan. 26, 1840. He came with his parents to Clinton County, Mich., in the fall of 1854, and in August, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, First Michigan Volunteer Infantry. In the fall of 1862, he was commissioned as first lieutenant, and was assigned to Company F, Eighteenth Michigan Infantry. He received captain's commission in the spring of 1865, and was mustered out of the service in July after the close of the rebellion. In the spring of 1865, he bought a farm in Eagle, Clinton County, and on June 27, 1866, he married Miss Hattie A. Freeman, of South Jackson, Mich. They have two surviving children, Donna and Edith Grace. They came to Traverse Region from Toledo, Ohio, in 1875, and since then have resided in Mancelona and vicinity. Captain Hill has been school inspector, county clerk and postmaster, and has been one of the board of county examiners. His business attention is directed chiefly to matters of loan and real estate. Religiously Mr. and Mrs. Hill are Episcopal Methodists. They took a leading part in the organization of a society, and in the building of a church edifice in Mancelona. Mr. Hill was a member of the first board of trustees, and of the first board of circuit stewards. He and his companion labor unitedly to promote the moral welfare of the church and of the world.

Reuben A. Smith, lumberer, was born in Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, in 1845. On Sept. 20, 1864, he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-seventh Wisconsin Volunteers, for one year's service. He entered the regiment at Little Bock, Ark. They soon moved to Mobile Point, Ala., and thence to Spanish Fort, Ala., where they took part in the bombardment and conquest of the fort, under command of General Canby. All the rebel artillery and equipment were taken, and the rebels were hotly pursued to Fort Blakely, when their works were again charged, and nearly every thing captured. From there they moved to Mobile. This, also, they captured, and then followed the rebels who had taken twenty-six transports, one hospital ship, three gun boats and a rebel ram, and started up the Tombigbee River. They encountered them slightly at Whistler Station, but at McIntosh's Bluff they captured 18,000 prisoners, all the transports and the rebel ram and forced the gunboats to come under terms of peace. These boats forthwith surrendered to Admiral Farrigut, but had sunk their sheeting. They returned to Mobile, and thence went under General Steele to Brazier, Texas, and thence to Clarksville, at the mouth of the Rio Grande, where Mr. Smith "was discharged for disability, and returned home in September, 1865. In the fall of 1867 he went to Charlevoix, Mich., and a little later took up a homestead on the South Arm. His family joined him the following summer, and for nearly two years shared with him the severe privations of pioneer life, having to carry all their provisions about fourteen miles. They came to Mancelona from Monestique, in August, 1870. Here Mr. Smith assisted Mr. H. H. Bradfort to build a dwelling. They bought lumber at Elk Rapids at six dollars per thousand, brought it by water to Spencer Creek, and thence with teams at ten dollars per thousand, for hauling. After this he engaged for a while in lumbering. Later he spent three years at Torch Lake, and then bought thirty acres of land, at five dollars and a half per acre, and settled in Mancelona, and worked in the lumber woods to secure a living and also to pay for his land. He sold his land last summer for $1,000 in cash, and now has a fine residence on Main Street. He has a wife and two children. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He assisted in organizing the township, at a meeting in the Mountain House, at Mr. Perry Andress' place, in April, 1871. There were just enough persons present to effect an organization.

In the fall of 1877 Mr. Andress platted about fifteen acres on the north one-half of Section 20. The plat was surveyed by D. K. McVean, of Kalkaska, and was put on record in January 1878. The names of property owners recorded on the plat are as follows: Perry Andress, Jacob H. Passage, A. Lybarker, Peter M. Emery, Josiah Potter, James Campbell and Leander C. Handy.

Josiah Potter was born in Essex, Vermont, Dec. 9, 1821, and came to Allegan County, Mich., in 1842 and engaged in farming with good success. He was a pioneer settler and began life there without a dollar. He once purchased a heavy five-pail kettle, put it on his head and literally carried it six miles to his home; but he braved such hardships nobly and they yielded before him. On May 25, 1815, he was married to Miss Susan J. Carman, also of Allegan, who died Jan. 8, 1866. His second marriage was to Mrs. Lucia C. Monroe, of Otsego, Mich.. April 7, 1866. He has nine surviving children. Mr. and Mrs. Potter came to Mancelona in 1877, when the wilds of the forest were yet almost unbroken and prepared them a home and commenced clearing and cropping the fertile soil. They also entertain travelers in their hotel, "The Farmers Home," providing ample accommodations both in-board and lodging. Religiously they are Episcopal Methodists, and find true pleasure in the moral and spiritual welfare of their fellow citizens.

The schools of Mancelona have received careful attention and liberal support. In 1876 a school-house was built which answered the needs of the district for several years, but in 1882 it was found that the rapid growth of the village made increased educational facilities necessary, and a new union school-building was erected at a cost of about $8,000. The schools were also graded in 1882. In August 1888, Prof. Grant, principal of the schools, alluded to them as follows:

"The progress of the schools of our own thriving town is something remarkable. From one little house of thirty or forty pupils, two or three years ago, to our now splendid Union School building with an enrollment of over 200 pupils, is a wonderful stride. During the past year, under the efficient supervision of Prof. Simmons, considerable time was spent in organizing and grading, so that now we stand on a sound working basis, and in the future we shall labor not only to make this the first in Antrim County but the best school in northern Michigan, We do not intend to rush our pupils over a few studies to prepare them for some other school, but aim at thoroughness and practicability, that our young men and women may not be forced to the unnecessary trouble and expense of leaving home to obtain a thorough course of study. To those who intend to teach, we cordially invite you to attend the Teachers' Normal Review Class, which opens in connection with the High School the first Monday in September, continuing seven weeks; at branches in the teachers' course will be taught by topic outlines so as to avoid purchasing new text books. A lyceum will also be organized in connection with the school.

Thanking the pupils and patrons for their kindness mid generosity in the past, we look forward with pleasure to the labors which we hope will be crowned with success."


Residence of William R. Grant, Mancelona MI

William R. Grant, principal of the Mancelona Graded School, was born November 22, 1856, in Lyons, N. Y. He spent most of his youth and received his education in Allegan County Mich., taking the high school course in the Otsego Union School, under the tuition of Prof. P. A. Latta, of the State Normal School. Mr. Grant, after spending seven years there in teaching came to Mancelona in April, 1888, and entered upon the scholastic duties in which he is now engaged. On Oct. 21, 1877, Mr. Grant was married to Miss Belle McDougall, also of Allegan. Mrs. Grant was born in Fowlerville, N. Y.. Jan. 19, 1858. Their children are William, Nellie and Lena. Mr. Grant is a Granger, a Good Templar and the Odd Fellow, and he and Mrs. Grant are members of the Christian Advent Church.

The Mancelona Herald was established in 1879 by Clark S. Edwards and L. K. Slussar. At that time there were but a few families in the village and the outlook for journalistic success was not particularly assuring. With the advent of a local paper, however, the prospects of the village began to brighten, and the following year a tide of prosperity set in that soon wrought a complete transformation of the place.

Mr. Slussar was born in Albion. N. Y., in 1861, and came to Mancelona from Kalamazoo, Mich., and with Mr. Edwards started the Herald, as stated. After nearly three years of successful effort in the enterprise, he purchased Mr. Edwards' interest in the paper, and since that time has conducted it with increasing favor and patronage. Mr. Slussar is fraternally a member of the Odd Fellows' Society has a beautiful home in Mancelona and is enjoying gratifying business success.


Residence of Clark S. Edwards, Mancelona MI

Clark S. Edwards was born in Cicero, Onondaga County, N.Y. in 1816. He spent his youth and received his academic training in his native state. In 1807 he was married to Miss Mary A. Young of Wayne County, N. Y., who died in 1881. His second marriage was to Mrs. Dr. E. W. Young, of Mancelona, Mich. He has two surviving children, E. Ross and May Cornelia. At the age of twenty-two years, Mr. Edwards was elected justice of-the peace, which office he has held for sixteen years. He has also been school Commissioner and supervisor. He settled in the Traverse Region in 1875, and has had pleasing success in business and social life. He took the lead in founding the Mancelona Herald, the Elmira Gazette and the Mackinaw City Pilot, and takes an active interest in journalistic and literary progress in the Traverse Region. In politics Mr. Edwards is an active Republican. Since 1880 he has served his county efficiently as judge of probate. In December, 1882, the village was mentioned as follows:

Mancelona gives good evidence of thrift, and is rapidly improving in a business point of view. This growing town must possess a set of good, lively business men as is evidenced by the improvements made and making, and the fine stocks of goods displayed. They have now nearly completed a fine, new onion school-house; the Methodists have a very fine house of worship just approaching completion, and a general appearance of thrift was indicated on every tide. The new smelting works being erected there will be a great acquisition to the town, and will not only give it prominence, but will add to the business prosperity of the place."

A little later the local paper contained the following: In Mancelona there are ten stores, one of the best hotels in northern Michigan, postoffice, printing office, two restaurants, hardware and tin shop, express and telegraph office, meat market, two drug stores, millinery store, gun shop, shoe stop, saw-mill, shingle-mill, two blacksmith shops, good schools, etc. There are also two fine church edifices, Methodist and Congregational, and two Sunday-schools. There is an Odd Fellows and a Good Templars' lodge in the place, and it is expected the Masons will soon organize here. There is a large handle factory, with a capacity of 8,000 broom handles per day, which will give employment to a large number of men. A beautiful town hall, costing about $2,000, has been erected, which adds much to the beauty of the town. The prospects are fair for a grist-mill and planing-mill being erected at no distant day. There is an established stage route from Mancelona through the central portion of the county to Eastport at the head of Torch Lake, twenty-eight miles from Mancelona. There is also a mail route to Stover, a thriving little village seven miles northwest. Mancelona contains about five hundred inhabitants. There are excellent opportunities for all classes. Honest industry, and a little money are capital sufficient to lay the foundation to a competency."

At a meeting held in the town hall Oct. 10, 1882, a Grand Army post was organized, and the name of Gen. Lyon, who was killed at the battle of Wilson Creek, Mo., on the 10th day of August, 1861, was chosen as the name of the post. The following officers were elected: S. F. Hill, commander; C. B. Mallory, S. V. commander; J. G. K. Ayers, J. V. commander; E. Spicher, surgeon; J. A. Harriot, quartermaster; A. C. Elder, chaplain; H. H. Bradford, officer of the day; T. M. Crosby, officer of the guard.

The post is designated as Lyon Post, No. 86, G. A. R.

The officers in 1884 are as follows: Commander, H. B. Hudson; S. V. C, Peter Jackson; J. V. C, George Wallace; Adjt., J. 0. Lyon; chaplain, George Kellogg; surgeon, A. D. Carpenter; Q. M., J. I. Ayers; 0. D, H. C. Hopkins; O. G., John Perry; S. M„ S. F. Hill; Q. M. S„ W. H. Farmer.

Mancelona Lodge, No. 368, I. 0. 0. F., was organized in the fall of 1882. The officers in 1884 are as follows: N. G., P. Weeks; V. G., W. W. Wise; Sec, L. E. Slussar; Treas., S. M. Bean; P. S., R. B. Thompson.

A Masonic lodge was instituted early in the present year, with a good working membership.

There is also a Good Templars lodge in the village that has been in successful operation about two years.

FURNACEVILLE

The village consists of the furnace and interests connected therewith of the firm of John Otis & Co. The facts about the beginning of this industry are as follows:

John Otis, a native of Schenectady, N. Y., was born in 1845. He spent his youth in his native state, employed in agricultural and other pursuits. Later he spent some time in Tennessee, and later still in Richmond, Va., in conducting a broom factory. In 1882 he came to Mancelona, High., and in partnership with Mr. James Otis and R. M. Gheme, lie erected and opened a blast furnace for the manufacture of charcoal pig-iron. In May, 1883, the furnace and all the main buildings were consumed by fire, causing a loss of about $40,000, and work was suspended until September, when Mr. Otis returned the enterprise himself. It is now employing about 150 men, and is manufacturing from forty to forty-five tons of iron in a day. He also has opened a broom factory, capable of making from 100 to 150 dozen brooms in a day. He has also opened nineteen large coal-kilns for the manufacture of coal to be used in the furnace. His religious choice is the Presbyterian Church.

A recent description of the place was made in the Mancelona Herald, as follows: The village has been nicely platted, by K. K. Robinson, C. K, of Charlevoix County, and the plat shows over 300 business and residence lots. The village proper lies on the west side of the G. R. & I. R. R., the main business street fronting the railroad. Mr. Otis has taken much pride in having wide streets mid avenues laid out, and many of the mechanics and laboring men are buying lots, intending soon to have good houses. Lots can be bought at reasonable prices and on favorable terms to those who intend to build. About seventy-five houses are already occupied. The village lays about forty-five feet above the level of Passage's Lake, and has a beautiful location, being surrounded by sugar maple timber, which is being cut and converted into charcoal.

Surely the mechanic or laboring man who possesses an ordinary amount of economy and industry can make a success here, if anywhere. The mercantile business is now represented by T. C. Prout who has a large stock of general merchandise, and H. Freeman, who carries a nice stock of groceries and provisions. A new store is almost completed, which will soon be occupied as a drug and grocery store. A neat and commodious M. E. Church is nearly completed, and will be used us a school-house also. The furnace has recently gone out of blast on account of the ore supply being exhausted. The run was fifty-six days, producing 2,029 tons, making a daily average of thirty-six tons of iron per day. Under favorable circumstances, upwards of forty tons per day can be made. Mr. John Scanlon, an experienced and practical founder has charge of the works. He is the right man in the right place, Mr. C. H. Kemp, a competent engineer of large experience, ranks as chief engineer, with Edward A. Kemp, second engineer, and Charles Bechstein as assistant. The engine room presents a neat appearance and shows that Mr. Kemp and his able assistants understand their business. Mr. Amos Bullard is yard boss, and is a competent, trusty employee. Patrick Scanlon and James Mackey hold the position of keepers. Mr. Christopher Webb is the coal contractor for the company. He also handles all the wood on the yard and burns the coal. Mr. Thomas McCall is the coal burner. Mr. White has relinquished a part of his contract and J. Otis & Co. are purchasing wood at the old rates. During the temporary atop, the stack will be put in first-class shape, and kilns will be repaired. The outlook for spring and summer business is good. Mr. Otis established a broom factory last fall, and about 900 dozen of excellent brooms have been made during the winter. This branch of the business is in the hands of Mr. George Vunck. giving employment to twelve or fifteen men. Mr. Otis will immediately erect a broom factory, 26x100 feet, two stories high and will then employ from thirty-five to forty hands. There will be from 175 to 200 men employed at Furnaceville.

Furnaceville is practically a part of Mancelona, being only about a mile distant, and contributing materially to the prosperity of the latter.

Since 1680 the village of Mancelona has grown rapidly, in fact, almost the entire village has grown up since that time. Its manufacturing interests consist of a butter plate factory, broom handle factory, saw-mill and planing-mill. These do a large business and give employment to a large number of men. New additions have been made to the village plat, and there is everywhere evidence of activity and thrift.

BIOGRAPHICAL.

Joan P. Andress son of Perry Andress, was born in Allegany County, N. Y., in 1867, and came with his parents to Michigan, when only foot months old. His father located at Mancelona, as already stated, John coming with his parents. In 1878 he went into the mercantile business at Westwood, but after about fifteen months he brought the stock to Mancelona and closed it out at auction sale. Later, he cared for his father at Petoskey until the father's death, and now he takes part with Mr. Persons in conducting the Mancelona hotel. He was married in 1880 to Miss Ida M. Pickett, of Albion, Mich. They have one son, Benjamin Perry.

Burgess F. Hoppins was born in Portageville, N. Y., in 1853. After spending some time in travel he settled in Mancelona in the fall of 1879, and has spent his time mostly in agricultural pursuits, and with good success. In his temperance relations he is a Good Templar. He has served three years as justice of the peace. On Jan. 15, 1877, he was married to Miss A. L. Hannah, of Lancaster County, Pa., who shares with him the good fortune of his Michigan home and enterprise.

Elverton R. Nickerson, was born in Sandusky, Ohio, in 1841, and came to Cass County, Mich., in 1858. In 1880, Feb. 4, he was married to Miss H. S. Merritt, of Hartford, Mich. They have one daughter, Erina Celestine. In the fall of 1879 Mr. N. bought land in Mancelona, when it was yet in its primeval forest beauty, and two years later, with his companion, he settled in their pioneer home. His occupation formerly had been chiefly school teaching and painting. In Mancelona he has devoted his time mostly to painting and commercial work, and especially to matters of real estate. His pioneer investments have so far rendered him satisfactory returns, and he watches with pleasure the rapid growth and progress of this town of his adoption. In fraternity be is a charter member of Mancelona Lodge, I. 0. O. F. His religious preference is the Congregational Church.

Neil McKechine, a farmer, was born in Scotland in 1889, and came to America in 1866. After spending some time in Maine, he came to Michigan in 1868. In 1870 he came with a team all the way from Big Rapids, and located lands in Mancelona. He at once opened the wilds of the beautiful forest and prepared a home, calling settlers from twelve or fourteen miles distance to assist in the erection of buildings. In 1871 be was married to Miss Agnes Rowan, also of Scotland, who died in 1874. His second marriage was to Miss Agnes McCauley, of Gilmore, Mich. She also was taken from him by death, Dec. 10, 1888. Mr. McKechnie, with a Mr. Jacob H. Passage, cat the first stick of timber cut in Mancelona, and ho chopped the first two acres of fallow in the place. After making thirty-eight acres of improvements on his estate one mile west of Mancelona village, be sold it, and purchased lands on Section 7, where he is again clearing the forest and causing it to bud and blossom as the rose.

William S. Mesick, attorney at law, was born in Newark, Wayne County, N. Y., Aug. 26, 1856. He came to Michigan with his widowed mother at the age of fourteen. Later, he attended the high school at Kalamazoo, and later still he took lectures at Ann Arbor University, where he expects to take still further lectures in the early future. Mr. Mesick came direct from Ann Arbor to Mancelona in the spring of 1881, and opened a law office on State Street, when be is enjoying a steadily enlarging practice in the several departments of his profession. He was the first lawyer in the place, the oldest one in the eastern pert of the county, and evidently does, with perhaps one exception, by far the most extensive business now done by any one of his profession in the county. Mr. Mesick also has valuable real estate in Bellaire, the thriving county seat of Antrim County, which has been platted and is on sale in lots for the convenience of purchasers.

J. L. Farnham, merchant, a native of Leonidas, St. Joseph County, Mich., was born in 1839, and came to Mancelona in October, 1879. Here he engaged in mercantile business, and especially in the shipping of hay and feed by the car load. His business is enlarging each succeeding season. On Feb. 4, 1873, Mr. Farnham was married to Miss Mary 0. Coon, also of St. Joseph County, who shares with him the toils and successes of business and domestic life.

L. W. Coon, merchant, was born in Leonidas, St Joseph County, Mich., and emigrated to Mancelona in 1881. He at once opened a business enterprise in hats, gloves and furnishing goods on State Street, where he has had pleasing success in that department of commerce. On Nov. 28, 1888, he was married to Miss Hattie C. North, of Vicksburg, Mich., who now shares with him the toils and bliss of social and business enterprise. Mr. Coon is a member of the I. O. O. F. ; Mrs. Coon belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Peter Jackson supervisor of Mancelona, came from Canada to Lapeer County, Mich., when quite a youth. In November, 1861, he enlisted in the Tenth Michigan Infantry, but because of sickness was discharged July 16, 1868. He returned home, partially regained his health, and on Dec. 5, 1864, he re-enlisted in the Thirtieth Michigan Infantry and served his country until the rebellion was quashed. He was mustered out of the service June 30, 1866. After the war he settled in St. Clair County and engaged in farming until 1874. He then moved to Isabella County where he continued his former pursuit and also gave his attention largely to municipal interests, serving two years as supervisor. He came to Mancelona in 1879 and again engaged in agriculture. Early in 1868 he sold his estate and Bottled in the village for the improvement of his health. Fraternally Mr. Jackson is a Free Mason, and be is also senior vice-commander in Post No. 86 of the Grand Army of the Republic. During his military service Mr. Jackson was promoted to the rank of sergeant in Company F in the Tenth, and also in Company B in the Thirtieth Michigan Infantry, and also filled various other positions as the emergencies of the service required.

Charles H. Kemp, chief engineer of the Mancelona furnace, was born in Niagara County, N. Y., Sept. 8, 1843. In early life he began to study as a machinist and has made it almost his exclusive study and profession. On Aug. 1, 1869, he located lands where Mancelona now is, before the township was organized. He purchased hemlock lumber at about twenty-five dollars per thousand, delivered, erected a ridge pole on crotches, stood up the boards against it, and thus sheltered himself and family until he had erected their pioneer dwelling. Pork delivered cost about forty dollars per barrel, flour from fourteen to fifteen dollars, and other provisions were in proportion.

On Christmas, 1869, Mr. Kemp was married to Miss Kittie Weaver, of Mancelona. He has about forty acres improved on his estate, with excellent frame buildings, and has, indeed, an inviting home. Fraternally he is a Free Mason. He has been highway commissioner and justice of the peace. Their religious preference is the Congregational Church.

Hull Freeman, merchant, was born in Farmington, Oakland County, Mich., Jan. 30, 1864. He spent over four years as a clerk in Lansing; went from there to Williamstown, and thence to Ann Arbor, employed in the same occupation. He came to Mancelona from Plain well, Mich., in 1875, when there were only four houses, two stores and one log blacksmith shop in the place. He served as station agent, land agent and telegraph operator for seven years. On Aug. 24, 1882, ho took charge of the Pine Lake Iron Company's mercantile department at Ironton, and sixteen months later engaged in mercantile business for himself at the Mancelona furnace where he is enjoying enlarging patronage in groceries, provisions, etc. He expects soon to add a stock of dry goods and furnishing goods. He has a wife and one daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman are members of the Congregational Church.

C. B. Mallory, master mechanic, was born in Smithville, N. Y., Nov. 21, 1825. He spent his youth and became a mechanic in his native state. In January, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Seventy-eighth New York Volunteers, was taken prisoner on the fifth of July following at Front Royal. He was taken to Harrisonburg and thence to Staunton and thrown into jail over night without rations. From thence he was forwarded to Libby prison at Richmond. In his ward over four died per day on an average. He lost sixty-four pounds in four weeks. On Sept. 9, he was paroled and sent to Aiken's Landing, the point of exchange. He was transferred to Washington, and being very ill, he was given the benefit of treatment in three different hospitals, but, being given up by all the doctors, was discharged and returned home in December, 1862. In June, 1882, he came to Mancelona, where. as best he can in his shattered suite of health, he pursues his former occupation. He has lost one companion, and now has his second wife. He also has five children. Though still an invalid, he gets no pension because of a lack of testimony in his case. He is Past Commander of General Lyon Post, No. 86, Department of Michigan, G. A. R. He organized the post himself, and has mustered another at Bellaire.

Peter Zipp, farmer, was born in Germany, May 8. 1836, and came to the state of New York in June, 1840. He went from there to Canada in 1853, where be spent several years employed in his occupation as a tanner and currier. While residing in Markham, Ontario, Mr. Zipp was married to Miss Elizabeth Eckardt, also of Markham, daughter of George and Isabella Eckardt. She was born there Oct. 20, 1832. Their living children are: Emma I., Frederick W., George T., Ada M. E., Arthur J. and Homer Leroy. They came to Mancelona, Mich., in the spring of 1872 and opened them a home in the beautiful but unbroken forest in Section 8, before the railroad was built and when the village was in its infancy. Mr. Zipp now has 200 acres of farm land, sixty- acres of which are under cultivation. He has a thriving young orchard and good buildings, constituting a truly desirable home. Mr. Zipp has been superintendent of schools, justice of the peace and township supervisor.

George W. Dewey, lumberman, was born in Lisle, Broome County, N. Y., July 11, 1827, and came to Oakland County, Mich., with his parents in 1885. Four years later they removed to Lapeer County. On Aug. 8, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Fifth Michigan Infantry, served his country until December, 1808, and then re-enlisted in the Fifth Michigan Veteran Volunteer Infantry and served until honorably discharged, July 21, 1865. At the battle of Spottsylvania Courthouse he received a gunshot wound in his limb and was disabled seven months, and then resumed duty while the wound was still open. It still at times breaks out and proves very afflictive. He came to Mancelona in April, 1872, having previously located land on Section 4, where he still resides. On Sept. 4, 1870, Mr. Dewey was married to Miss Ann E. Ackley, of Helena. Their children are Henry O., Jennie B. and Lorenia May. Mr. Dewey has served as school officer, township clerk and justice of the peace. Fraternally he is a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.

James Smith, farmer, was born in New York City, Oct. 1, 1846, and came to Ionia County, Mich., in the fall of 1865. In the autumn of 1871 he came to Mancelona and opened a pioneer home on Section 8, where the beautiful forest was, until then, undisturbed. On June 18, 1878, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Melissa Filer, of Milton, Antrim County, Mich. They have one son, Freddie, born March 19, 1874. lie has already fifteen acres improved on his laud, and he and his family now enjoy the results of their pioneer privations and toils. Mr. Smith has been commissioner of highways. Mrs. Smith is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Dr. Charles Beaver, Jr., was born in Chatham, Out., and received there his early education. His literary collegiate course was taken at the Upper Canada College, Toronto, and his medical course he took at the Eclectic Medical Institute and Pulte Medical College, Cincinnati, O. In January, 1882, he settled in Mancelona, Mich., where he has a continually increasing medical practice, he has been health officer nearly two years. He makes the diseases of the eye and ear a specialty. He expects noon to occupy his new suite of rooms on State Street, where he will be able to more fully accommodate and serve his many patrons and friends,

George H. Bender, farmer, was born in New Jersey, Jan. 11, 1822, but spent his youth and early manhood in the city of New York, engaged in business, until 1874, when he came to Mancelona, Mich., located and purchased lands and opened up for himself and family a pioneer home on Section 18, where they still reside. Mr. Bender, on July 18, 1868, married Abbie M. Avers, of Rahway, N.J. They have one son and two daughters. Mr. Bender has taken a lively interest in municipal mutters and in temperance and religious enterprises. He has been school officer and township treasurer, and has served us supervisor six years. He is now engaged in conducting one department of the work in the Mancelona broom factory. Mrs. Bender is a member of the Congregational Church.



Mancelona, MI (State Street Looking East) (1909) - Contributed by Christine Walters


Home