View: Biographical sketches from History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
A general merchant and prominent citizen of L'Anse, Baraga County, Michigan, was born in Ireland, March 2, 1846, and is a son of John and Mary (Comerford) Brennan, both of whom were also natives of Ireland. John Brennan came to America shortly after the death of his wife, which occurred when our subject was 10 years of age. His brother, James Brennan, had settled at Detroit, Michigan, in 1824, and started the first boiler shop in that city. James Brennan died at Detroit in 1866, five years after John Brennan joined him there, the latter's death occurring in the same year. Five members of the parental family of 10 children still survive, namely: Mrs. Martin Kelsey, a widow, resides near Keweenaw Bay; Rev. B.F., who spent some 10 years in America, but is now a priest in Ireland; Mrs. B. McCauley, who lives near Keweenaw Bay; P., our subject; and Michael, a lawyer of Detroit, Michigan. Mr. Brennan of this sketch received his early education in the schools of his native country and reached Detroit, Michigan, with his father in 1861. He embarked in a dry goods business with his brother in that city and continued there until July, 1870, when he removed to L'Anse, Baraga County. In 1872 he settled on his present site, but had previously operated a country store between Keweenaw Bay and Baraga, and was one of the earliest settlers and business men of what is now the very flourishing town of L'Anse. He carries a large and well selected stock of general merchandise and is justly considered one of the leading business men of the place. Mr. Brennan was married September 7, 1876, at L'Anse to Anna A. Brady, who is a daughter of John Brady, one of the earliest settlers of Ontonagon County, Michigan, locating there in 1852. Mr. Brady removed to L'Anse in 1871 and for several years conducted a store here. His death took place in 1898, at the age of 71 years. Mr. and Mrs. Brennan have a family of seven children, as follows: John E., who is foreman for the Pittsburg & Lake Erie Iron Company at L'Anse, Michigan; Agnes, Laura, Thomas C., Hubert, Leo and Berenice, all at home, the younger ones still being students. Mr. Brennan has most efficiently served as a member of the Council and at one time was township treasurer. He has also been a useful member of the Board of Education. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.] READ BIO FROM HISTORY OF UPPER PENNISULA
CAMPBELL, John A.
A prominent business man of L'Anse, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, December 14, 1850. He attended the public schools until eighteen years of age, and then took a literary course of two years in the Lawrence University, at Appleton, Wisconsin. He next spent two years in the general store of R. L. Little & Company, of Hancock, for the following seven years he was employed in the banking business conducted by his stepfather, E. L. Mason, of L'Anse; and since that time has been general manager of the mercantile establishment of P. Ruppe. In company with P. R. McCurren, Mr. Campbell is also engaged in the manufacture of brick, and they will soon organize a stock company with a capital stock of $25,000. Our subject is also interested in the Michigan State Stone Company, and is a large property owner. He has been a member of the City Council, has served as County Treasurer four years, as Township Treasurer the same length of time, and is the present City Treasurer. Socially, he is a member of the K. of P., the A. O. U. W., the Maccabees and of the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Campbell was united in marriage with Miss Ellen E., daughter of Rev. David A. Curtis, of Petersburg, Michigan. To this union have been born four children, - three daughters and one son. [Memorial Record of the Northern Peninsula 1895; Tr. by C. Walters]
--- Biography From "Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903":
John Campbell, who is a leading citizen and a general merchant of L'Anse, Baraga County, Michigan, was born at Cleveland, Ohio, December 14, 1850, and is a son of John and Rebecca (Turner) Campbell, both of whom were born in Scotland. The father died in 1860 and the mother became Mrs. Edwin L. Mason and is still alive. Our subject has one sister â€”Horence, now Mrs. B. F. Jenkins, of Chicago, Illinois. After the death of his father Mr. Campbell accompanied his mother to Port Huron, Michigan, and later to Hancock. Houghton County, Michigan, where he attended the common schools. After prosecuting advanced studies at Lawrence College, Appleton, Wisconsin, he returned to Hancock, and engaged in clerking until 1872 and then removed to L'Anse, Baraga County, as clerk in the lank of E. L. Mason & Company. In 1878 he was tendered the position of manager of the L'Anse store of P. Ruppe & Sons, and was filling the same when the town was almost destroyed by fire. The Ruppe firm never rebuilt its store and he seized the opportunity to embark in a mercantile business for himself, and he has been eminently successful and carries a very complete and carefully selected stock. Mr. Campbell has taken an active interest in public matters and has filled a number of local offices in L'Anse and Baraga County, serving as county treasurer (two terms), supervisor, president of the village, township clerk and school trustee. In 1886 Mr. Campbell married Ella E. Curtis, who is a daughter of Rev. D. A. Curtis, of Petersburg. Michigan. The children born to this marriage bear the names of Rebecca, Florence, John, Francis, Grace and Ellen Jane. Mr. Campbell is fraternally connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, Knights of the Maccabees, and Modern Woodmen of America. He is a Republican and has been active in politics and has served as chairman of the county committee. Mr. Campbell is one of the representative, intelligent and substantial men of L'Anse. ["Houghton, Baraga & Marquette County Michigan Biographical Record", Biographical Publishing Company; Chicago 1903]
One of the leading general merchants of L'Anse, Baraga County, Michigan, was born in 1862 in Denmark, where he was reared and educated. He left land and kindred and came to the United States when but 17 years of age, locating in Ishpeming, Marquette County, Michigan, where he engaged as a miner at the old Saulsbury mine and worked as a miner until 1880, when he removed to Baraga. There he entered the employ of Capt. James Bendry and worked at lumbering in the woods for three years, when he removed to L'Anse and entered the employ of P. Ruppe & Son, where he was employed as a clerk until 1890. In 1890 Mr. Hansen engaged in the mercantile business with Herman J. Seifert under the firm name of H.J. Seifert & Company, and continued business until the fire of 1896. He then entered the employ of John Campbell, and worked in the latter's store in L'Anse. In 1900 he engaged in his present business venture and has no reason to regret his decision to once more be numbered among the merchants of L'Anse. He carries a full line of all kinds of general merchandise except dry goods. He has built up a nice trade and is highly regarded by the citizens of L'Anse and by all with whom he is acquainted. Mathias Hansen, besides a business citizen, has served as treasurer of the town and filled the position very creditably. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., K.O.T.M. and A.O.U.W. Mr. Hansen was united in marriage in 1889 to Lizzie Sangerbusch, a daughter of Frank Sangerbusch, who was one of the early settlers of L'Anse and died in 1901. Mr. and Mrs. Hansen have one son, Harold. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
HENN, Rev. John
Pastor of the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church at L'Anse, Baraga County, Michigan, has had many charges in the Marquette diocese and is well known and highly respected throughout the Northern Peninsula of Michigan. Father Henn was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1860, and is a son of John Henn. The latter came to America from his native country, Germany, when 13 or 14 years of age, and spent the remainder of his life in Brooklyn, where he died in April, 1901. John Henn's wife died in May, 1900, and with the exception of our subject, all the members of the family now living reside in New York State. Father Henn attended the schools of Brooklyn, New York, and then pursued a classical course of study in St. Vincent's College near Allegheny, Pennsylvania. He then went to Montreal, Canada, and for five years pursued theological studies and was prepared for the priesthood. Returning to St. Vincent's Abbey, near Allegheny, he was ordained by Bishop Mullen, of Erie, Pennsylvania, June 20, 1884. He soon after came to Michigan, and held the following charges in the Marquette diocese: Bessemer, Ontonagon, Michigamme, Norway, Iron River, Champion, Garden, Menominee (twice), Spalding, Nadeau, Lake Linden (twice), Eagle Harbor and L'Anse (twice). The last time he came to L'Anse was in 1901, and he has since been pastor of the Sacred Heart Church. The Sacred Heart Church had its beginning in the services conducted by Father Terhoist, the noted Indian missionary. The first resident priest was Father Pelisson, who came in 1886, and was succeeded in order by Father Gilman, Father Joseph Haas (deceased), Father Dassylva, Father Reynardt, Father Schelhammer, Father Henn ,who remained nine months, Father Joseph Wallace (deceased), Father Joseph Dupasquier, Father Fidelis Tutter (deceased), Father Joisten, who built the present stone church in 1894 and remained in charge five years; Father Joseph Pinten, Father Collins, Rev. Father J. Sauriol, who remained about one year; and finally, Father Henn, who came in 1901, and is present pastor of the church. The church is built of redstone and was erected at a cost of ten thousand dollars and the congregation numbers about four hundred. The first church was called St. Joseph's, and is still standing on the southeast corner of the block on which the new church is located. The parsonage is located between the old and new churches. Father Henn represents the highest type of manhood, and exemplifies his teachings by the irreproachable life he leads. He has gained the love of his congregation to a remarkable degree, and commands the respect of his fellow men regardless of religious belief and attachment.[Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
Covington Township, Baraga County, was born in Byron, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, in 1851, and is a son of John Lyons, who was born in Ireland and became one of the very early settlers of the Badger State, locating in Wisconsin in 1848. Both our subject's parents died there, aged about 73 years. The family comprised four children, the two survivors being our subject and a sister, who is a resident of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. Mr. Lyons was reared and educated in Wisconsin, and remained with his father until about the age of 30. Then he located in Marquette County, Michigan, to engage in lumbering, and remained for three years in the vicinity of Metropolitan, Dickinson County. Since locating at Covington, Mr. Lyons has been variously engaged, continuing his lumbering and also following farming and contracting. He is one of the leading Democrats of his locality and has held a number of the town and county offices. During three terms he served as deputy sheriff and is now serving his seventh term as a member of the board of county supervisors, having been first elected in 1893. He is very prominent in all important public business and is deeply interested in whatever promises to benefit Baraga County. For several years he was a very useful member of the School Board. When Mr. Lyons located at Covington, there were but a half dozen settlers, and it is due more to his energy than any other that the place is in its present thriving condition. He has served as postmaster and has been identified with almost every progressive movement in the town. In the early days mail was brought from Sidnaw over paths, there being no roads when Mr. Lyons settled there, and all the supplies of every kind had to be packed over trails. He has witnessed the wonderful changes and has the satisfaction of knowing that he has done his full share in the present prosperity. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
Proprietor of the Vendome Hotel at Baraga, Baraga County, Michigan, and one of the town's prominent citizens, was born in 1846 in Brussels, Belgium, and is a son of John J. and Adeline B. (Osel) Martin, the surviving members of the family at the present time being our subject and two sisters. The latter are: Celine, who married Francis Hannan, of Green Bay, Wisconsin; and Marie Eleanor Odrate, who married Joseph Dyne, now deceased, and lives at Green Bay. Joseph Dyne was a soldier in the Civil War and died from disease there contracted. Alexander Martin was about five years old when his parents came to America and settled near Philadelphia, at Manyunk. Shortly after they removed to Green Bay, Wisconsin, which at that time was an insignificant town, and there they reared their children. Alexander commenced business life in the capacity of clerk in a clothing store at the age of 14 years, and the outbreak of the Civil War found him there. In the spring of 1862, when 17 years old, Mr. Martin enlisted in Company G, 17th Reg., Wisconsin Vol. Inf., as a drummer boy, and saw hard service in the armies of the West and the Potomac and accompanied General Sherman on that memorable march to the sea. He took part in the siege of Vicksburg and later returned with his command for three months to this beleaguered and conquered city. It was his fortune to also participate in the battle of Gettysburg and at the time of the surrender of General Lee he was with Sherman's forces near Richmond. At the close of the war Mr. Martin returned to Green Bay, having escaped both wounds and imprisonment, although he faced many marvelous adventures and often was in great danger of both life and liberty. Mr. Martin then passed some time on a Wisconsin farm and in 1871 he came to the Northern Peninsula and engaged in clerking until he embarked in the business for himself, in 1886, remaining at Bayfield from 1887 until 1895, when he removed to Baraga. He conducted the McKinley House in Baraga for five years, and in 1899 took charge of the Vendome Hotel, where he has been established ever since. He is a very popular host and by those kindnesses, courtesies and comforts which warm the weary traveler's heart, he has won the bulk of the patronage in the town. On April 23, 1868, Mr. Martin married Adelaide Gauyan, who was born at Kewaunee, Wisconsin. No children have been born to this union, but Mr. and Mrs. Martin have given kindness and protection to three adopted children. Fraternally Mr. Martin is associated with the Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Martin comes of old and distinguished ancestry. From the "Dictionaire Geographic", a reliable work of 4 volumes published in 1854 at Brussels, we learn that three brothers of the name of Martin were living in Paris in the latter part of the 17th century who were so renowned as duelists, that they had been given the name of "Batailles". One was a painter of great renown, who painted many of the battles fought by Louis XIV. Another was a noted diplomat, sent to the court of Vienna as an ambassador by King Louis. The third fought under King Louis XIV in the war for the Spanish succession. In 1706 many French soldiers settled near Ramillies and one was a Martin who located in the parish of Dionleval, married and lived there until 1732, leaving children, the eldest, Jean being nicknamed "Batailles". He died in 1798, a very old man, leaving children by his wife, Barbara Raillet. The children divided the land into five equal parts, of which Ambrose Martin, our subject's grandfather, received one share. Ambrose Martin was born in 1765 and died in 1852. He reared two children through his marriage to Jeannie Joseph Delfosse, namely: Jean, the father of our subject; and Annie, who married Joseph Masy. Ambrose Martin served in the Napoleonic wars and was a soldier under Napoleon Bonaparte at the battle of Waterloo. Our subject has a very interesting collection of his grandfather's accoutrements and the musket he carried on that memorable occasion. When his father brought it to America it had the old flint lock, which he had later replaced by a modern tube and percussion hammer. Jean Martin, the father of our subject, was born November 2, 1804, in Paris, and died November 21, 1870, at Green Bay, Wisconsin. His wife, a native of Belgium, died September 17, 1874. The six children who have passed away are as follows: Constant Joseph, Xavier, Martin Leon, Pierre Joseph, Desire and Elsie Xavier. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
MASON, W. L.
Prosecuting attorney of Baraga County, Michigan, has been successfully engaged in the practice of law since 1886, and for a part of the time has been located at L’Anse, where he now resides. He was born near Boston mine, Houghton County, Michigan, February 20, 1865, and is a son of Edwin L. and Rebecca (Turner) (Campbell) Mason. The Masons are a very old New England family, some of its members being prominent in the early settlement of Massachusetts and Vermont, receiving grants from the King of England. The grandfather of our subject drove through from New England to Livingston County, New York, with an ox team, and was one of the early settlers of that County. Edwin L. Mason was born in Livingston County, New York, and removed to the copper region of Michigan early in the "fifties". It being before the day of railroads in the Northern Peninsula, he made much of the journey by boat. He was employed by mining companies in official capacities, and in later years was a private banker at L’Anse, Baraga County. He located at L’Anse in 1871 and conducted his bank until 1885. He then retired and spent his declining years in the companionship of his family, dying October 23, 1895. He was prominent in the councils of the Republican Party, and as early as the campaign of William Henry Harrison stumped Pennsylvania and New York for the Whig party. His first vote was cast for William Henry Harrison and his last for Benjamin Harrison. He was judge of the Probate Court of Baraga County for a number of years, and continued active in party work up to the time of his death. He was nearly always to be found present at the Republican County, State and National conventions. Fraternally he was a Mason. He was a man given to deep study and did a great deal of literary work. He was a great lover of home, and usually outside of business hours would be found there in the company of his family. He married Mrs. Rebecca Campbell, nee Turner, a native of Scotland, and they had two children: W.L. and Edith, wife of R.T. Vent, of New York City. W.L. Mason was reared in Houghton County and at L’Anse, Baraga County, where his family located in 1871. He attended the public schools, then the Michigan Military Academy, from which he was graduated in 1884. He then entered the law department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, and received the degree of L.L. B. in 1886. He immediately thereafter started practice in L’Anse, Baraga County, where he continued with success for five years. In 1891 he went to Detroit, Michigan, where he practiced law with good results for a period of 10 years. In the meantime he visited the northwestern part of the United States and took a trip to Alaska. He returned to L’Anse in 1902 and established a lucrative general practice. He was appointed prosecuting attorney of Baraga County in 1903 to succeed Mr. McKernon, who died in April of that year. He has been a thorough student, has a comprehensive knowledge of the principles of law and is a strong advocate at the bar. He has many lifelong friends in the community, and is held in highest esteem by all. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
McMAHON, Hon. James
Judge of the Probate Court of Baraga County, has been a resident of the town of Baraga since the time when it had but few houses and a population of not more than 50 people. He was born at Port Huron, Michigan, and is a son of Simon and Hannah (O’Rourke) McMahon. Simon McMahon was born in Ireland and in 1847 came to America, accompanied by two brothers. He first located near Birmingham, Broome County, New York, then came west to Port Huron, Michigan, his brothers remaining in the East. He later removed to Midland County, where he lived on a farm until his death, from an attack of appendicitis, September 7, 1882, aged 56 years. His wife, who is also a native of Ireland, resides on the old homestead in Midland County, upon which they located in 1868. James McMahon was reared and educated in Midland County, and at the age of 18 began making his own way in the world. He followed railroading for two years, a part of the time being locomotive fireman. He then engaged in lumbering and at the same time was scaler for the Saginaw Barrel Factory, with which he remained for three years. In 1883 he came to the Northern Peninsula, locating at Baraga, where he engaged in lumbering and in the saloon business for many years. He dropped the saloon business in 1897, but continued at lumbering until 1901. In the fall of 1902 he was elected judge of the Probate Court, for a term of two years, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Hon. Edward L. Stone, and has since served most creditably in that capacity. He has also served as supervisor, treasurer, township clerk, village clerk, justice of the peace and president and clerk of the Board of Education. He has always evinced a deep interest in politics, and is one of the most prominent Republicans in Baraga County. He usually attends State and county conventions. He has valuable real estate interests in the vicinity of Baraga, where he has his office. Judge McMahon was united with Anna Auge of Dollar Bay, Houghton County, in the holy bond of matrimony December 17, 1886, and they have eight children: James, Thomas, William, Nellie, Frank, Charles, Elizabeth and Martha. Judge McMahon is a man of prominence and has many friends throughout this section of the State. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
REAL, John Gerald
County treasurer of Baraga County, Michigan, and a leading citizen of L’Anse, was born in Houghton County, Michigan, October 28, 1865, and is a son of Garrett and Margaret (Mehony) Real, both of whom were born in Ireland. The family came to Michigan in 1865 and located in Baraga County in 1871, when the railroad was in course of construction. The father died in 1891, but the mother still resides in Baraga. Our subject is the oldest of a family of five children, all of whom are living. He was educated in the public schools at L’Anse and took a commercial course at the Bryant & Stratton's Business College at Detroit, Michigan, completing the same prior to his 14th year, and accepting then a clerical position in a drug store at L’Anse. He was an ambitious youth, and in addition to attending to his duties at the store learned telegraphing. Four years later his fidelity and industry were rewarded by being appointed manager of a branch store at Baraga, for D.J. Norton, this being the first drug business established in that place. In 1890 Mr. Real embarked in a drug business for himself at Baraga, which he successfully conducted until the fall of 1898, when, turning his drug business over to his brother, he made a visit to the Klondike gold fields. Mr. Real remained two years prospecting in Alaska, but returned to Baraga after a severe attack of typhoid fever at Nome. He resumed the drug business for a time and then spent a season in prospecting through Baraga County, many making friends in every section. In the fall of 1902 he was nominated and later elected to the office of county treasurer, an office he most efficiently fills. For one year he was game warden of Ontonagon County and has been tendered many offices of responsibility by his Democratic friends. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
County clerk of Houghton County, Michigan, and a prominent citizen of Hancock, became a resident of the Northern Peninsula in 1872, first locating at L’Anse, Baraga County. He was born and reared in Rhode Island and there received an academic education. In young manhood he started west and was in the neighborhood of Omaha and Salt Lake City when the Union Pacific Railroad was completed, being employed at that time in the train service as baggage man. After locating in L’Anse, Mr. Richardson served in a clerical position in a mercantile business for six years, and then removed to Hancock, where he was engaged in a mercantile business of his own until he was elected to his present office. He entered upon its duties on January 1, 1899, succeeding Robert H. Shields, who is now superintendent of the Arcadian mine. Mr. Richardson, by his close attention to the business and his careful and complete knowledge of the duties of the office, combined with a most accommodating spirit, has gained the full confidence of the public. There have been times when a visit to the county clerk's office was a matter of long delay and some dissatisfaction, but it has not been so under the careful methods of Mr. Richardson. In 1876 he married Miss P.L. Smith, of Eastern parentage. They have one son, Henry H., who is now in Arizona as mine engineer for the Lake Superior & Arizona mine; - he was born at L’Anse, is a graduate of the Michigan College of Mines, and is an exceptionally bright young man. Mr. Richardson is prominent in fraternal organizations, belonging as a Mason to the local blue lodge and chapter, to the commandery of Knights Templar at Calumet, Michigan and to the temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Marquette, Michigan. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of Hancock, Michigan. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
The third oldest of the pioneers of the copper region along the southern shore of Lake Superior, now living, was born at Peterboro, New Hampshire, December 15,1823, thus being, as might be said, almost a twin of the famous "Monroe Doctrine", which was presented to the world that year. Mr. Senter, whose portrait is herewith shown, is now an honored resident of Houghton, Houghton County, Michigan. John Senter was reared and educated in his native town, which was a manufacturing place some sixty miles from Boston. In 1842, he came west to work in the office of Surveyor General of Iowa and Wisconsin, Gen. James Wilson. General Wilson, who was a relation of our subject, was an attorney -at- law, and at one time was a member of the United States Congress from New Hampshire. Mr. Senter acted as a clerk in the Surveyor General's office from 1842 to 1845, making his home for the greater part of the time at Dubuque, Iowa. During the three years that he held this position he traveled much over Iowa and Wisconsin, visiting Iowa City, Iowa, in 1844, Iowa Falls and other places in that new country. In the fall of 1845, he returned to New Hampshire and spent the winter at the home of General Wilson. In the summer of 1846, he and General Wilson returned to Iowa where they stayed a short time. General Wilson had become interested as a director, in the Lake Superior Copper Company, the pioneer company of the copper district, which was then operated under the superintendancy of Martin Coryell, of Pennsylvania.
In the summer of 1846, leaving Iowa, General Wilson and Mr. Senter came to the Northern Peninsula of Michigan, locating at Eagle River, in the copper district. They came on the first trip of the second steamer - The side-wheeler "Julia Palmer" - that floated on Lake Superior. The first steamer, a Propeller, had made one trip in 1845, reaching La Point on Nov 1st. In 1846, the year that Mr. Senter came to this region, General Wilson secured a lease in what was then a part of Houghton County, now included the Keweenaw County, Michigan, and our subject made his home there, at Eagle River, for a period of forty years. In addition to working in the Lake Superior Copper Company's office, Mr. Senter did some surveying and engineering in the neighborhood that season. Later in the year, he was sent for by General Wilson, and it was impossible to return to New Hampshire, in the spring of 1847, he went through to Dubuque, Iowa, returning to Eagle River the next summer, where he engaged in trade at the same time serving as deputy to Postmaster Coryell. On September 28,1847, Mr. Senter was appointed postmaster and served efficiently as such until 1855, also carrying on a mercantile business in the meantime. He remembers the first steamer, the side-wheeler, "Illinois", to come through the canal, the date being July 17,1855. After the close of navigation in the fall, the copper district was entirely cut off from the outside world, except for messengers on snow-shoes. Our subject continued in the mercantile business until 1856. In the meantime, in 1848, he had accepted the agency for E. I. Dupont, Denemour & Company, the largest powder manufacturers in the world, and at one time he had four stores in the Northern Peninsula, holding his connection with this company until about 1900. He also bought and sold some mining stock, and owns some still as well as a large amount of real estate in Houghton and adjoining counties. He has some interesting records, and is conceded to be an authority on all matters of early history. For the past several years he has made his home in Houghton, in the eastern part of the village. He has been retired from business but three years, and despite his four score years is extremely active and in good physical health. Prior to the Civil War, he served eight years as treasurer of Houghton County, when it also included Keweenaw, Baraga and Ontonagon counties. Mr. Senter's wife, formerly Lizzie T. Porter, came from Ypsilanti, Michigan. They have two sons and a daughter: Albert Wilson, assistant in the assay office of the Calumet and Hecla smelting works; Henry Mortimer, who owns and conducts saw and planing mills and is interested in a coffee plantation in Columbia, South America; and Mrs. James B. Cooper whose husband has charge of the Calumet and Hecla smelting works. Our subject was formerly a Whig, and is now a stanch Republican. He was a member of the Mining School Board until he resigned. For upwards of forty years, Mr. Senter has been a member of the Ontonagon Lodge No. 67 A.F. & A.M. He is a man of the highest character, and is highly esteemed by his large circle of acquaintances in the Northern Peninsula. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
Sheriff of Baraga County. Michigan, and a leading citizen of L'Anse, was born in Montreal, Canada, May 8, 1868, and is a son of Octave and Fardina (Collins) Sicotte, who came to Michigan from Canada in 1872, locating at Marquette, Marquette County, where the father followed a blacksmith business for five years, removing to L'Anse, Baraga County, in 1877, where he died. Octave Sicotte is one of a family of 10 children born to his parents, nine of whom still survive. He was educated in the public schools of Michigan and then learned the blacksmith trade with his father, following the same until he was elected to his present office, and still owns the business where his father was located. He has always taken a very lively interest in political matters and has been a zealous supporter of the Republican party. For four years he served as marshal of L'Anse and with so much efficiency that his election as sheriff in January 1903, met with general approval. Mr. Sicotte is a man of large means, owning considerable property in L'Anse, including the Sicotte Block (which was remodeled and modernized in 1901), a handsome residence and a large amount of timber land. In September, 1893, Mr. Sicotte was united in marriage with Georgina Febre, who was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and they have had a family of four children, the survivors being: Hazel, Josephine and Doris. Sheriff Sicotte is held in general esteem as a man who has shown himself an able and reliable public official, ami a generous, public spirited citizen.[Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
SEIFERT, Herman J.
Proprietor of a saloon at L'Anse, Michigan, was born in Germany, September 30, 1852, of German parentage. His father, Gotlieb Seifert, was a dealer in wheat and also ran a bakery in the old country. Hermann J. received his education in the public and high schools, attending the latter about one year, and when he was fifteen began working in his father's bakery, where he remained until he was nineteen. At that age he came to America. His first location in this country was at Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked in a bakery seven months. From Cleveland he came to Marquette, Michigan. At Marquette he learned the barber's trade, and on leaving that place went to Escanaba and opened a barber shop, which he ran a year and a half. Returning to Marquette, he spent some time there, and his next move was to L'Anse. This was in the spring of 1876. From that time until 1881 he ran a barber shop, the next two years was in the hotel and saloon business, then sold out and again resumed business as a barber. In 1858 he disposed of his barber shop and opened a saloon, and has continued in the latter business ever since. Mr. Seifert has been Alderman of L'Anse six terms, and is now serving as such, and he is also now serving as Superintendent of the Poor. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. Of his private life, we record that he married Miss Meta Sengebusch, a native of Germany, and they are the parents of one child, a son, seven years of age. [Memorial Record of the Northern Peninsula 1895; Transcribed by C. Walters] Read bio from History of Upper Pennisula
One of the pioneer citizens of L'Anse, Baraga County, Michigan, is a prominent merchant of that place. He is a man of exceptional ability and is well known to the people throughout the county. He was born in Algonac, St. Clair County, Michigan, October 19, 1845, and is a son of Abram and Fidelia (Burt) Smith.
Our subject is of the ninth generation from John Smith, who arrived in Milford, Connecticut, in 1643. He joined the Presbyterian Society upon its organization and lived in Milford until his death in 1684. The line of descent from this early ancestor to J. B. Smith follows:
(2) John Smith, who was born August 27, 1646, and died in 1732. He married Phoebe Campbell.
(3) Thomas C. who was bom March 17, 1677, and died September 15, 1743. He married Hannah Camp.
(4) Jabez Smith, who was born November 29, 1705, and died December 1, 1785. He married Ruth Seymour, and was the first of the family to move from Milford.
(5) Abraham, who was born at Salem, New York, June 9, 1733, and died in March, 1784. His wife was Mary Baxter. He served in the Revolutionary War, was wounded at Ridgefield (where Governor Wooster was killed) and returned home to die.
(6) Abram, who was born in 1754, and died September 5, 1826. He served as a lieutenant in Samuel Drake's regiment during the Revolutionary War.
(7) John Keyzar Smith, who was born in North Salem, New York, November 29, 1785, and when a young man went to Barton, Vermont. He became a lawyer by profession and practiced at Pottsdam, New York, until the War of 1812 began. He enlisted and saw hard service, participating in the battle of Pittsburgh and other notable struggles. During the war he went with the army to Detroit, Michigan, serving as quartermaster, and after the close of the war started a pottery, in which he employed a discharged soldier who had followed this trade in Philadelphia. He was called upon to fill numerous offices of trust and did the writing for the country around. The Indians, by whom he was known as the "Big Captain," often came miles for him to settle disputes with them. In 1816 he settled in Algonac, St. Clair County, Michigan, and at different times served as customs house officer, postmaster, justice of the peace, and judge of the Probate Court. He married Katherine Mac Donald, by whom he had 10 children, of whom Abram was the oldest. He died April 14, 1855, and his wife died August 22, 1881.
(8) Abram Smith was born at Algonac, Michigan, in 1818, and has spent his entire life there, being at the present time 85 years of age. He has always followed merchandising and lumbering, in which lines he achieved signal success. He was appointed a lieutenant in the State militia by the Governor, and was at one time a member of the State Legislature, representing neither party exclusively but his constituents as a whole. He also held numerous local offices, among them that of postmaster, during the war. He married Fidelia Hurt, who is deceased, and they had five children, as follows: J. B. subject of this sketch; Cornelia, wife of George Seaman, of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan; John A., of Algonac, Michigan; Ella M. (Moore), of Algonac, Michigan; and Angus MacDonald.
J. B. Smith was educated in the common schools of his native town, where he remained until 1870, and then came to the Northern Peninsula of Michigan. He located in L'Anse, Baraga County, where he erected the first building of the town on the site of his present store. He engaged in the mercantile business, which he has followed almost continuously since. In 1893 he engaged in lumbering, building a large mill known as the "World's Fair Mill." It had a daily capacity of 100,000 feet of lumber, and gave employment to a force of 200 men. The mill was burned May 9, 1896, together with the docks, lumber and the store building, in fact most of the town burned. He rebuilt the store in 1903, and has since carried on a general merchandise business in a very successful manner. In 1872 Mr. Smith was united in marriage with Elizabeth Harris, who was born in England, being one year old when she accompanied her parents, William and Mary Ann (Hitchingsi Harris, to this country. They located in Houghton, Houghton County, Michigan, where Mr. Harris engaged in merchandising until his death in 1885, aged 59 years. Mrs. Harris died in 1891, aged 66 years. Our subject and his wife became the parents of five children, namely: William A., deceased; Mary Fidelia, deceased; William Burt, of Calumet, Michigan; Samuel Russell, a mining engineer at Ely, Minnesota: aud Harris Gibbons, who is at home. Mr. Smith has served a number of terms as supervisor, and has been school treasurer and member of the School Board. Fraternally he is a member of the Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of the Maccabees, and Knights of Pythias. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
One of the most eminent and widely known physicians and surgeons of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan, and a most highly regarded citizen of Houghton, was born, reared and educated at Baltimore, Maryland. His father, who for many years has been a prominent merchant in Baltimore, is also well known in Houghton, where he has frequently been a visitor. Dr. Turner's medical education was secured in the city of Baltimore, and he graduated at the University of Maryland in 1878, when just past his 21st birthday. After a little more than a year's practice, he came West and located at L'Anse, Baraga County. Michigan, under a government appointment, and for many years was practically the only physician in that county, remaining there until 1898. In 1892, when the Indian agency was abolished at L'Anse, Dr. Turner became acting Indian agent as well as physician. In 1900 he located at Houghton, having for the two previous years lived at the Arcadian mine, of which he was physician. He now has medical charge of both the Arcadian and Isle Royal mines, being assisted by Dr. Jackson. In 1881 Dr. Turner married a daughter of William Harris, an early resident of this section, and they have two daughters. The pleasant family home is situated in East Houghton, and the Doctor has commodious offices in the Leopold Building on Shelden street. He is a valued member of both county and State medical societies, and is also a member of Houghton Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and during his residence at L'Anse was a member and the examining physician of the Knights of Pythias, the Woodmen and other leading orders in which he took an active part. Dr. Turner enjoys the esteem of the whole community as a citizen, and, as stated above, is a very prominent member of the medical profession in Northern Michigan. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
County clerk and register of deeds of Baraga County, Michigan, is a prominent citizen of L’Anse, where he was born, March 25, 1872, and where he has resided the greater part of his life. He is a son of Martin and Ursula (Keifer) Voetsch, who were natives of Wurtemberg, Germany. Martin Voetsch Sr., father, was born March 4, 1825, and came to America in 1854, locating in the Lake Superior copper region when it was first opened up. He first settled at Eagle River and later at the Isle Royale mine, conducting a hotel at which the officers of the mines stopped. He later was located at different mines throughout the copper country, where he followed the hotel business, and for some years was in business at Houghton. There he followed the lumber business in addition to running his hotel and feed yard. He removed to L’Anse in 1871 and continued to reside there until his death, April 7, 1886, the last few years of his active life being devoted to lumbering. Mrs. Voetsch was born March 4, 1830, and is now living in peace and comfort at her home in L’Anse. Five children blessed their union, as follows: Philip, who is in the real estate business at L’Anse; Mary, William, Adele and Martin. Martin Voetsch was reared in L’Anse and attended the local schools completing the course in 1886. He was then identified with the mercantile business for three years, and in 1889 went to Detroit, where he completed a commercial course in Detroit University. In 1891 he returned to the Northern Peninsula and entered the employ of Jeremiah Arn as clerk at a quarry at Messner, near Jacobsville, Michigan. After one year he returned to Detroit and engaged as bookkeeper for Smith & McDonald, contractors and builders, for nearly two years, after which he was in the employ of the Noller Real Estate Agency. He was later in the real estate business for himself until May, 1895, when he returned to L’Anse. In 1896 he was elected village clerk and served efficiently until March 1, 1903. He was also town clerk during 1897, 1898 and 1899. In 1900 he engaged in the business of buying and selling cedar posts, poles and all cedar materials, and in 1901 was employed by the Detroit Construction Company as timber purchasing agent for the Grand Rapids and Howling districts. In the fall of 1901 Mr. Voetsch returned to L’Anse and established a well paying business, handling all kinds of cedar materials. He was elected county clerk and register of deeds in the fall of 1902 for a term of two years, and has since capably discharged the duties of that office. Mr. Voetsch has always been a stalwart Republican, and is one of most enthusiastic workers of the young members of the party in the Peninsula. He has frequently attended State and congressional conventions, and is always active in the party work, at one time serving on the County Committee. He is a young man of enterprise and public spirit, and enjoys the respect and unbounded confidence of his fellow citizens. [Source: Biographical Record, Houghton, Baraga and Marquette Counties. Chicago: Biographical Publishing Company, 1903.]
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails