LUREN E. BENSON
Luren E. Benson, a physician of marked talent and ability, has been brought into close and kindly relations with his patients in and about Woodland, Barry County, in which place he resides. His warm heart and generous sympathies add to the good feeling inspired by his professional culture and practical skill, and he has a large following and many sincere friends. He was born in Oneida Township, Eaton County, September 14, 1851, and in the paternal line is of English descent. His grandfather came to Clinton County, this State, in 1840, and was one of the early settlers in his neighborhood. He cleared up a farm on which he died when seventy years old. Lucian Benson, father of our subject, is believed lo have been born in New York, and he was reared on a farm, and in 1842 came to Eaton County. Here he cleared a tract of land and cultivated it until 1852 when, being of a somewhat roving nature, he crossed the plains to California and spent thirty years on the slope, engaged in mining principally. In 1882 Lucian Benson returned to this State and lived in Clinton County until his death six months later; he was then sixty-six years of age. Politically he was a Republican, and his religious home was in the Baptist Church. His wife, formerly Mary Lovell, is a native of New York; she is now living in Oneida Township, Eaton County, and is sixty-eight years old. She belongs to the Free-Will Baptist Church. Her father, Rufus Lovell. was born in New York and settled in Eaton County, this Stale, in 1837. He cleared a farm of goodly size and at one time owned and operated two hundred and twenty acres. He died at the age of three-score and ten. Dr. Benson was reared on a farm and gained his early education in the district schools. He then spent two years in attendance at the High School in Grand Ledge. His attention was then turned to farming, hut while he was thus engaged he began the study of medicine by self-effort, borrowing medical books of Dr. Hall, of Grand Ledge. He studied in this manner several years, then took a course of professional reading with Dr. Snyder, of Portland, and after being in that gentleman's office two years spent eight months with Dr. Brown, of Grand Lodge By this time young Benson had a good knowledge of therapeutics and he began practice at Sun Hold, Eaton County, where he was located seven years. Not being satisfied with his acquirements, but being actuated more especially by a desire to secure the benefit of a diploma from a first-class college, he gave up his practice and went to Chicago, where he matriculated In Bennett Medical College. Dr. Benson completed the course of study and in due time received his credentials as an M. P.. competent to carry on his practice under the principles of the Electic school. He then returned to Sunfield and for two years practiced there, then in November, 1885, came to Woodland. He has a large practice and is also interested in a drug store which he established in 1886, under the style of Benson & Co. In 1889 the Doctor built a fine two-story brick building, in which his drug store and office are situated. In May, 1882, Dr. Benson and Miss Flora Barnum were united in marriage. The bride was born in Roxanna Township in May, 1864, and is the daughter of Lee and Olive M. (Kimball) Barnum. That good couple are numbered among the early settlers of the county and the name of Barnum is well known as he was a preacher in the United Brethren Church. He gave up his life for his country, having been shot through the heart while in the Union army. Mrs. Benson is a bright, well- informed lady who shows by her manners that she was carefully reared and that she comes of a good family. The Doctor is a man of much intelligence, not only in his profession but in general topics - scientific, literary and historical. He has stock in the State Building & Loan Association and is a member of the Masonic lodge, No. 301,of Woodland. [EATON & BARRY CO -- PORTRAITS BIOGRAPHICAL 1891]
LYDIA A. (SHAW) BULL
This highly respected lady has lived in Barry County for a number of yearns and is numbered among its wealthy residents. She was born near Circleville, Fairfield County, Ohio, October 24, 1826, and is a daughter of Samuel and Nancy (Anderson) Shaw. She comes of old Southern families and was carefully reared in accordance with the customs of the period during which her girlhood was passed. She obtained a good education in the schools of the day and a practical knowledge of the household duties which belong to woman's province, and at the same time acquired the principles and habits which make her a valued member of society. Mrs. Bull is a grand-daughter of William Shaw, who was born in Maryland and went to Virginia before his marriage. In 1810 he removed to Ohio, where he remained until 1831 when he removed to Michigan, in which Slate he spent the later years of his life. He reared three sons and three daughters, the second son being Samuel, father of our subject. Samuel Shaw was born December 8,1798, in the Old Dominion, and was just entering his teens when he accompanied his parents to Ohio. There he grew to manhood and married Nancy Anderson, who was born in Kentucky May 4, 1798. Her parents, Elijah and Marian Anderson, were natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively and were of the Baptist faith.
In the fall of 1831 Samuel Shaw and his wife came with a party of more than a score of men and women to Cass County, Mich., making the journey with trains according to the primitive fashion. The Shaws settled on forty acres of land in Galena Township and there Mrs. Shaw died August 13, 1847. The bereaved husband made his home with his children from that time until his death, January 29, 1877. He and his wife were active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. To them were born twelve children, viz.: Marian, William B., John A., Thornton A., Lydia A., Richard B., Sarah, Elijah, Leila K., Abner, Alice I. and Erastus S. The last-named died in infancy and the others lived to establish homes of their own. Richard served in the Union army and died at Covington, Ky„ and Elijah was a soldier for three years, and died while on a visit to our subject March 9, 1891. The marriage of Miss Lydia A. Shaw to Albert Ebenezer Bull was solemnized at the bride's home November 19, 1846. Mr. Bull was born in Sheffield, Berkshire County, Muss., and reared on a farm, although his father, William Bull, wan a physician. After completing his preliminary studies Mr. Bull studied surveying, which he followed more or less during his life, he did professional work in Florida and in Michigan, and while surveying in this State located a large tract of land that is known as Bull's Prairie. It is in Rutland Township, Barry County. At the time of his death Mr. Bull owned live hundred acres there and two hundred in Irving Township. When he left home his capital consisted of $000 and when he died he was one of the wealthiest citizens of Barry County. He was a merchant In Schoolcraft for many years and also carried on commercial life at White Pigeon. He moved on to his farm about 1857 and lived there until his death, March 5, 1865. He was then sixty-three years of age. He was a liberal donator to public enterprises and during the war contributed generously to free the township from the draft. He was a stanch Union man and as he was beyond the age of army service he did what he could to aid the cause in other ways. Mrs. Bull made a second marriage, the man to whom she gave her hand being Albert Eton Bull, a nephew of her former husband and a son of William J. Bull. He came to Michigan in 1864. She of whom we write was a second time left a widow, November 12, 1878, when her husband died at the age of forty-six years. She subsequently traded her interest in the estate for two hundred acres on section 1, Yankee Springs Township, and section 36, Thorn Apple Township, where she now makes her home. This farm is one of the finest in the township, with many substantial improvements, including an attractive residence and all the modern conveniences in the way of farm buildings. Mrs. Bull has been a member of the Congregational Church for twenty-five years and is a liberal contributor to church work and all benevolent enterprises. Her second husband was a Deacon in that religious body and was one of its strong pillars, and contributed of his means to that body. [Portrait Biographical Eaton/Barry Co 1882]
ELIZABETH "BESSIE" (WATERS) BURBANK
Daughter of Rylie C. and Josephine (Gregory) Waters
[Contributed by Gary Foster from family research]
Married 5-10-1875 in Barry County, Hastings MI
7 March 1849 - 11 April 1926
Luther Burbank Carriage House
Now serving as Museum, Visitor Center and Gift Shop
AIDED PLANT WIZARD
Elizabeth "Bessie" (Waters) Burbank, Native of Hastings, Was Husband's Chief Lieutenant in His Last Years
Hastings (Michigan), April 12 - Mrs. Luther Burbank, who was the righthand assistant of her plant wizard husband, especially in the last years of his life, was born and reared in this city. Mrs. Burbank, then Bessie Elizabeth Waters, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Riley Waters, went to a commercial college in Chicago after completing her studies in the Hastings public schools. With her sister Margaret she conducted a public stenography office in Chicago for several years. Later she served as private secretary to Circuit Judge Melville of Chicago and for a time was connected with Olivet college. The east then called her and she became private secretary to a broker. Then came the opportunity to enter the office of Luther Burbank at Santa Rosa, Calif., as his private secretary. Three years later she was married to the great horticulturist. They had no children of their own, but several years ago took into their home to rear the 5 year old daughter of Mrs. Burbank's brother, Alfred Waters, who lives on a farm several miles northwest of this city. Mrs. Burbank's father now 75 years old, lives with his son.
WILLIAM H. CARPENTER
Was born in Livingston Co., N. Y., Feb. 9, 1824. His parents soon after moved to Orleans Co., N. Y., where, in May, 1849, he married Caroline Thompson, also a native of the "Old Empire State," born Nov. 29, 1829. In 1855, Mr. Carpenter came to Michigan, and settled on the banks of Wall Lake, in Hope township, where he still resides, having made for himself and family a pleasant home. His business has been that of a farmer, and all his time has been engaged in improving his farm, except nine months spent in the service of his country. He was drafted Nov. 29, 1864, and served in the Eighth Michigan Infantry, and participated in the battle of Petersburg, Va. Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter are the parents of five children, all born in Hope, except Agnes, born in Yates, Orleans Co., N. Y., Jan. 5, 1853; Euphemia, July 29,1856; William, Oct. 23, 1858; Robert A., May 19, 1861; Josie, April 12, 1869. Source: "History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers," Philadelphia; D. W. Ensign & Co., 1880; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]
ALBERT G. DEWEY
As an example of what a life of industry and perseverance will accomplish in forming and shaping the character, we present this subject. He was born Nov. 25, 1816, in Chautauqua Co., N. Y., is the oldest child of Eliphalet and Fannie (Morton) Dewey, who were natives of New York, and married in 1815, Mr. Dewey, being quite a prominent man, holding the office of sheriff of Chautauqua County ten years, besides other offices of trust. When Albert was six years of age his father died, leaving a widow and the two sons. After the death of her husband, the mother with her boys returned to her old home, in Madison County, where Albert remained until he was twelve, when he went to what was then Allegany County, now Livingston County, and lived with his uncle, Mr. S. Morton, remaining there until 1838. Having arrived at the acknowledged age of manhood, he came to Michigan with his uncle and family, landing in Emmet, Calhoun Co., where he made his first purchase of land, containing sixty acres, which he improved and kept four years, and then sold, and devoted his time to milling, having interested himself in that before, owning a half-interest in a grist-mill at Lowell, which was burned in January, 1849. His insurance having expired the first of the month, it was a total loss, leaving him encumbered with a debt of three thousand dollars.
To recover this he conceived the idea of going to the far-famed gold mines of California, and the same spring, receiving help from his uncle, he started, taking the overland route in March, arriving there in September, agreeing to give his uncle one-half of what he made in two years to repay him for his kindness in starting him. In October he was taken sick, and in December, fearing he would be no better, he sailed for the Sandwich Islands, where he remained until February, when he returned to San Francisco dead broke, but with earth's richest blessing, health. He then went to mining, which he followed diligently for three years. At the expiration of his second year, having never forgotten his promise to his uncle, he sent him one thousand dollars, being one-half of what he had earned by the sweat of his brow. He then returned to Michigan, and in 1854 was married to Mrs. Mandana Wallace, of Gull Prairie, Kalamazoo Co. Her parents were natives of New York, where she was born, but came to Michigan when she was but twelve years old. After marriage they moved to Kent County, where he owned land near his brother, remaining only a short time, when they both sold out, moving on the farm where he now lives, which consisted of one hundred and sixty acres, twenty improved.
To Mr. and Mrs. Dewey was born one son, who died in infancy, but Mr. Dewey passed through his severest trial in September 1855, being bereft of his wife, thus leaving a vacancy in his home and a void in his heart which time alone can heal. In March, 1858, in Battle Creek, he married Emeline Cookston, who was born in Livingston, N. Y., Nov. 19, 1820. Her father was a native of Maine, her mother of New York, she being one of a family of five children. The mother died in New York in 1832; the father in 1842.
In politics Mr. Dewey is an ardent Republican. He cast his first Presidential vote for Gen. Harrison. Himself and wife have been members of the Congregational Church since 1866. His advantages for education were limited, attending only the common schools, such as the country afforded in his youthful days. He has a very fine farm, under a good state of cultivation, yet this does not represent his entire property, he having quite an amount invested in the far West. He is what might be termed a fixed farmer, making a specialty of no one thing. Though they have never been blessed with children of their own, still they have been allowed to enjoy the society of them, having adopted four orphans, - raising two girls and one boy until they started in life for themselves, adopting from the orphans' home in Chicago a bright, promising youth of little less than three summers, who only lived two short years. Mr. Dewey's mother, who passed her later years with him, died at his home in 1875, and when her lamp of life went out they laid her in a sunny nook, where she is quietly sleeping the sleep of the blest. [Source: "History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers," Philadelphia; D. W. Ensign & Co., 1880; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]
MARION F. DOWLING
Among the thriving business establishments of Middleville, Barry County, mention should certainly be made of that of which Mr. Dowling is proprietor. It is devoted to the sale of jewelry, stationery and queensware, is supplied with a good stock in each department, and is the seat of a fine trade conducted according to the most approved business principles. Mr. Dowling is well known in the country contiguous to Middleville, as he has been engaged in trade here for years past and hold the office of Postmaster sixteen years. Before sketching the life history of Mr. Dowling it will not be amiss to devote a few lines to those from whom he derived his being. His father was James Dowling, a native of Niagara County, N. Y., and a farmer by occupation. He removed to this State with a team and wagon, and settled in Calhoun County on an eighty-acre tract, which he reclaimed from the forest. There he died in March, 1845, leaving a widow and seven children, named respectively: Albert M., Emily, Mary K., Washington, Marion F., Martha and Miranda. Only three are now living: Albert, Marion and Martha. Mr. Dowling has served in the capacity of Justice of the Peace and was an active church member, belonging to the Methodist Episcopal organization. His widow married Dean DeLapp, to whom she bore one child, Esther. Mrs. DeLapp died in Middleville December 24, 1890, at the ripe age of eighty-three years. She was born in Niagara County, N. Y. and her maiden name was Amanda Murphey. The gentleman whose name introduces these paragraphs is a native of Calhoun County, this State, born in Newton Township July 1, 1840. He received his education in the rude log schoolhouse which was a common feature in the rural districts of the State. In 1856 he began life for himself by taking up work in a blacksmith shop with a brother, the family having come to Middleville that year. He followed blacksmithing some twelve years and then embarked in the dry-goods and grocery business, which he carried on a twelve-month. When appointed Postmaster in 1871 he opened a jewelry and stationery establishment, which he carried on without neglecting his official duties, and since he left the office he has given his attention wholly to commercial transactions, including queensware in his stock. The marriage of Mr. Dowling and Miss Sarah L. Mead was solemnized at the bride's home in February, 1865. Mrs. Dowling was born in Barry County, to which her father, Abraham Mead, and family came from New York. Her father was a tailor. She was well reared, and is intelligent and courteous and devoted to her family and friends. Mr. and Mrs. Dowling have one child, a daughter, Grace May. Mr. Dowling belongs to the Masonic order in which, as In the community at large, he is held in honor as a genial, clever gentleman and one of business ability.
SARAH MARIE DUDLEY
Mrs. Sarah Marie Dudley, business woman, born in Carlton, Barry county, Mich. She is the youngest daughter of James T. and Catherine Lawhead, who went to Michigan, in the first years of their married life, from the State of New York, and settled in Carlton. She is of Scotch ancestry on her father's side, and pure American on that of her mother, back to and beyond the war for independence. At the early age of four years she was left an orphan and was adopted into the family of her uncle, Judge William McCauley, of Brighton, Mich., who was at the time State Senator from that district. She received her education in the private and public schools of Brighton. At the age of fifteen she became the wife of Thomas Robert Dudley, from county of Kent, England, and moved to Detroit, Mich., where, in 1876, her husband entered the mercantile business, in which he prospered so well that he retired from business, in 1889, with a competence. Mrs. Dudley has been successful in many ways. She proved herself a most excellent business woman. It was she who saw the business opening where her husband’s fortune was made, and she has by judicious investments made another for herself. She works in pastel with the taste of a born artist. She is also an inventor, and the United States Patent Office holds proof of her ingenuity. But it is as an architect, designer and builder she has won her greatest success. Buying land in what proved one of the best locations in Detroit, she designed and built a graceful group of residences, among which is one of the most palatial stone mansions in the city. She took all the responsibility of planning, building and furnishing the money, and is the proud possessor of a handsome income from the rentals. She does much charitable work in an unostentatious way. (American Women, Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow.)
This man, among many others, is in the truest sense of the word a self-made man, one who, with industry and perseverance, has made life a success. He was born in Litchfield, N. Y., March 24, 1815; is the oldest of a family of seven. His father was a native of Vermont. His mother, of Pennsylvania, was of Dutch descent. Mr. Fisk, Sr., was a blacksmith; worked at his trade in New York until 1847, when he moved to Michigan, where he died, March 10, 1876, at the advanced age of ninety-seven, having buried his wife in 1864. J. E. Fisk learned his trade of his father, and remained at home until he was twenty, when he started for himself, working in his father's old shop. On reaching his majority he married, in Steuben County, Miss Samantha Gregory, who was born in the same county, Oct. 12, 1815. Her father was a native of New York, her mother of Connecticut. After marriage they remained in New York, he still working at his trade, until 1839, when they came to Michigan, staying one year on Goquack Prairie, Calhoun Co., when they went to Emmet, same county, where they remained some three years, he still working at his chosen avocation.
In 1843 he moved on the farm where he now lives, then containing forty acres, on section 31, with a rude log house and three acres partly improved. Mr. Fisk built a shop, and diligently pounding at his anvil, exchanged his work with his neighbors, thus keeping the improvement in progress on his new farm. In about two years he purchased eighty acres joining his farm. The farm now contains one hundred and forty-nine acres, one hundred and twenty in a fine state of cultivation. Mr. Fisk, though a blacksmith by trade, is also a practical farmer, takes great interest in the improvement of stock, and, in company with his youngest son, W. H. Fisk, is the owner of a fine flock of thoroughbred registered American Merino sheep, having lately made a purchase of sixteen head from L. I. Stickner, F. and L. E. Moore's flock in Vermont. He is also interested in the culture of bees. Mr. and Mrs. Fisk are the parents of five children, of whom two boys and one girl are living. S. S. Fisk, the oldest, is married and owns a farm joining his father's, on the bank of Fine Lake. The next son, W. H. Fisk, remains at home and carries on the farm under the supervision of his father. The daughter, Mira, now Mrs. Brinnistool, also lives at home. J. E. Fisk is in politics a Republican, though never an office-seeker. His advantages for school were very limited; in fact, commencing to learn his trade when he was so small he had to stand on a stool to blow the bellows. Mr. and Mrs. Fisk have been members of the Baptist Church for the past twenty years. [Source: "History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers," Philadelphia; D. W. Ensign & Co., 1880; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]
LORENZO D. GARDNER
Mr. Gardner became a resident of Barry County in 1868, during which year he settled on section 12, Rutland Township. There he bought one hundred and sixty acres of fertile land which is now operated by his son Charles and is the source of a very satisfactory income. Mr. Gardner was born in Rensselaer County, N. Y., and was a son of George Gardner. Mr. Gardner was married January 11, 1816, to Miss Nancy E. Bishop who occupies the homestead in Harry County. She has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for thirty-six years. She is an intelligent woman, thoroughly conversant with domestic affairs and is a kind and helpful neighbor. Her children are five in number—Sarah, wife of Andrew J. Bowen, of Grand Rapids; Emma married Charles Barlow, of Cold water, and died February 1, 1891, leaving three children; Frane, wife of Charles Wolcott, living in Chicago; Nettie, residing in Minneapolis and married to James Landan; and the son who operates the homestead. All have been well educated and carefully prepared for the duties that would await them in mature years.
Mrs. Gardner was born in Amsterdam, N. Y., being one of five children comprising the family of Alpheus and Rebecca (Finch) Bishop. Her parents were natives of Stephentown, Rensselaer County, N. Y., and were of Irish and English extraction respectively. Mr. Bishop was a son of Moses and Jerosha (Roberts) Bishop, the former of whom was a Revolutionary soldier. Mrs. Bishop was a daughter of James Finch who roamed a Miss Mosher. The birth of Alpheus Fisher took place in 1789, and his death occurred in February, 1858, at the age of sixty-nine years. His wife breathed her last in July, 1861, at the age of sixty- six years. They were active and devoted members of the Baptist Church and had taken great pains to rear their children with good principles and useful knowledge. Of their family three grew to maturity, namely: Rolla, Jerusha and Nancy E. [Portrait & Biographical Eaton/Barry Co 1882]
JAMES C. HANNA
James C. Hanna was born in the town of Virgil, Cortland Co., N. Y., Feb. 13, 1815. He was the son of James and Elizabeth (Barton) Hanna, who reared a family of twelve children. James resided at home until he attained his majority, when he entered the employ of David R. Barton, of Rochester, in the manufacture of edge-tools. With Barton he remained three years, when he engaged in the manufacture of scythes and axes at Avon, N. Y. This venture proved unremunerative, and he was next engaged in farming near Geneseo, N. Y. But farming, owing to his limited means, was not a satisfactory pursuit in a pecuniary way, and after two years of unproductive labor he became a boatman on the Erie Canal. In the spring of 1856 he came to Michigan, and settled in the township of Irving, where his elder brother, Richard N., had settled in 1842; here he has since resided, and in many ways has identified himself with the development of the town. In his political affiliations he is a Greenbacker, and in religion a Congregationalist. Although not seeking political preferment, he has filled many positions of trust and responsibility, notably that of supervisor, town treasurer, and justice of the peace. Mr. Hanna has been thrice married, - first to Miss Margaret Kimbark, of Livingston Co., N. Y. She died in 1854, and in 1859 he married his brother's widow, whose decease took place in 1877; and in 1879 he was again married, to Miss Anna Powers. Mr. Hanna is truly a representative man, and stands high in the respect and esteem of all who know him. He is the architect of his own fortune, and has secured a well-earned competency. [Source: "History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers," Philadelphia; D. W. Ensign & Co., 1880; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]
Among the earliest settlers the name Hinchman stands prominent as that of an honest, upright man, whose ancestry trace themselves back to New Jersey, where this subject was born in Vernon township, Suffolk Co., March 4, 1803. He is a son of John and Elizabeth (Blane) Hinchman, who were represented by a family of seven children. They were farmers, and lived and died there, - the father when our subject was about ten years of age, his mother in 1828. T. B. left home when quite young to make his mark. The reader can judge for himself of his success. Worked by the month until he was thirty years of age, when he secured a partner to assist him in traveling the rugged path of toil by marrying Miss Phebe McCain, daughter of Thomas and Amelia McCain, who were both natives of New York, where Phebe was born April 1, 1810, being the only daughter in a family of seven children. They, too, tilled the soil, and both died in New York, the father in 1828, the mother struggling against the vicissitudes of life as only a mother can until 1863, when she too, departed to that land from which no traveler returns. After marriage they remained in New York, working her mother's farm until 1836, when they came to Michigan, landing in Battle Creek, buying a house and lot; they remained there some five years, earning their support mostly by days' work. In 1842 they bought and moved on to the farm where the widow now lives. His first purchase consisted of one hundred and sixty-acres in the state of nature, to which he afterwards added, until, at his death, in January, 1879, his farm contained three hundred and five acres, besides owning other land in the township. To Mr. and Mrs. Hinchman were given eight children - John T., born May 4, 1835; Harrison, born Nov. 14, 1837, died March 27, 1866; Samuel T., born July 21, 1840; Millie P., born April 1, 1843; Louis E., born Jan. 4, 1846; Mary E., born March 11, 1848; Seward, born March 4, 1850; Edna V., born Oct. 27, 1853.
Mr. Hinchman was a Democrat in politics, and a member of no church, though he always attended with his wife, who has been a member of the Congregational Church since she was twenty; in fact, was one of the first members of that society in Battle Creek. Since the death of her husband she has remained on the farm with her youngest son, Seward, who carries on the farm, and her youngest daughter, Edna V. Payne, who, since the death of her husband, some five years ago, has resided with her mother. The rest of the children are married, and settled nearby on good farms. [Source: "History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers," Philadelphia; D. W. Ensign & Co., 1880; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]
DELBERT J. HINKLEY
Lawyer; born, Freeport, Mich., (Barry Co) Aug. 19, 1867; son of Zamon D. and Mary (Wood) Hinkley. graduate Olivet (Mich. College 1896; studied law in offices of George W. Raford, Detroit; and in Detroit College of Law; admitted to bar on examination of State Board of Examiners, Apr. 13, 1900; married at Lansing, Mich. (Eaton Co) Oct. 24, 1900, Katherine Woodbridge Tracy. Has practiced in Detroit since 1900. Member of Detroit Bar Association. Democrat. Congregationalist. Office: 10 Buhl Blk. Residence: 1489 16th St. [The Book of Detroiters by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis]
FREDERICK F. INGRAM
Manufacturing pharmacist; born, Hastings, Mich., May 9, 1856; son of Orrin L. and Lydia A. (Benson) Ingram; educated at Hastings High School and Olivet College, education cut short by sickness; married, Hudson, Wis., June 15, 1889, Laura A. Mayo. Began active business career as proprietor of retail drug store at Ypsilanti, Mich.; then traveled for pharmaceutical house several years before becoming partner in firm of Milburn & Williamson, manufacturing pharmacists, Detroit, Jan. 1, 1885; later M. Milburn retired and firm became Williamson, Ingram & Griggs; in the 90's Mr. Ingram bought out other interests and has since been proprietor under firm name of Frederick F. Ingram & Co. Member Detroit Public Lighting Commission for six years, ending 1905 (twice president of the commission). Member American Yorkshire Club (director), American Lincoln Sheep Breeders’ Association (director), American Galloway Association. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Recreations: Farming and stock breeding; participation in economic and industrial betterment movements. Office: 50-56 Tenth St. Residence: 409 Lafayette Blvd. [The Book of Detroiters by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis]
DAVID B. KILPATRICK
David B. and Minnie (McArthur) Kilpatrick
The ancestors of this gentleman are well known in Scotland as an ancient and warlike family, and the lineage is traceable back to the struggles of the Covenanters. The doctor himself is a native of Ayrshire, Scotland, where he was born April 7, 1837, and was the ninth in a family of eleven children. In 1847, when ten years of age, he, in company with his father, came to America; settled first in Hastings, Mich. After a stay of one winter, came to Woodland, and located on the farm known as the Kilpatrick farm, which he assisted in clearing. From 1856 to 1858 David attended school in Vermontville, the latter year removing to Kalamazoo, where he attended the Kalamazoo College classical course until the spring of 1864, with the exception of six months service in the Second Michigan Infantry, Company K, during the year 1861, being one of four brothers in the war against the Rebellion. He then entered the Michigan University, at Ann Arbor; remained six months, when his health failed. Then he went to Rochester University, and was graduated July 12, 1865, as A.B. in the classical course, continuing his studies in the medical department of the Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, until the spring of 1866, and began the practice of medicine in Woodland in summer of the same year. In 1874 took another course of lecture-drill in hospital clinics, and was graduated at the Detroit Medical College on the 3d of March, 1875. Dr. Kilpatrick married, March 7, 1872, Miss Minnie McArthur, a native of Woodland township, born in 1850, and a daughter of John McArthur, one of the early settlers, who came as early as 1842. They are the parents of two children, both daughters. In religious convictions the doctor is a Baptist, and in politics a radical Republican, an advocate of temperance, and has never used either spirituous liquors or tobacco. Has educated himself, or by manual labor (working in haying and harvest during the summer vacation and teaching school two winters) acquired the moans to prosecute his studies and carry him through college, - starting a poor boy and without friends able to assist him in those times. His character and standing in the community are best evinced by the respect and esteem in which he is held, not only as a citizen, but as a professional man. [History of Allegan and Barry counties, Michigan, 1880]
John Kilpatrick was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, May 12,1820, and the eldest in a family of eleven children. He lived at home until June 8, 1842, when he set sail for that land of promise of which so many longing hearts in the Old World dream, - America. After a month's tossing on the broad Atlantic, he found himself in New York City, literally a stranger in a strange land, leaving the city behind him, he found himself in Monroe County, where he went to work on a farm by the year, Afterwards buying a quarter-section of wild land in Michigan from the man he worked for, and in the summer of 1847 sent for his father, who sold what little property he possessed in Scotland and brought his family to Rochester, N. Y., where John met them, and together they came to Michigan. They built a house on his land and lived together about one year, when his father, John (Senior) built a house on land he had bought, and where he resided until his death, which occurred March 14, 1869, when he was seventy-one years of age. His wife, Janet, survived him until Oct. 22, 1878, aged eighty-one.
John, the subject of our sketch, was married Feb. 29, 1852, to Eunice Wilson, a native of New York. To this marriage were born John Bruce, Sept. 1, 1853, died May 18, 1856, and Mary A., born Sept. 9, 1857, who died Feb. 7, 1858. The wife and mother soon followed, departing this life Dec. 7, 1858.
Nov. 2, 1859, Mr. Kilpatrick married Miss Margaret Hagar, whose people were very early settlers in this State. Two children were born to them, - Mary A., born Aug. 6, 1860, died Sept. 10, 1861; and Andrew C. born Nov. 21, 1862. Again Mr Kilpatrick was afflicted by the loss of his wife which occurred Nov. 30, 1863.
July 16, 1865, he was for the third time married, this wife, Mrs. Mary Shaffer, having lost her husband in the army. They are the parents of the following children, - Samuel, born May 17, 1868, died Aug. 8, 1870; David A., born Aug. 14, 1870, died Sept, 8, 1871; Jesse, born Jan. 2, 1873 ; Viola, born May 26,1875; and John Hays, born Jan. 17, 1877. In politics Mr. Kilpatrick is a Republican; started as a Free-Soiler; has held several town offices. Is a member of the United Brethren Church, of which he has been one of the trustees since its organization in his neighborhood. [History of Allegan and Barry counties, Michigan, 1880]
A. P. and B. W. King
A. P. and B. W. King are two brothers who trace their origin with commendable pride to a New England ancestry. They were born in Brighton, Monroe Co., N. Y. A. P. was born May 21, 1825, and B. W., Aug. 25, 1827. Of a family of seven children only two were girls, and all are living but one brother. Their father, David King, was a native of the Bay State, where he was born Oct. 3, 1786. Their mother, Catharine Booth, was born in Stafford, Conn., June 16, 1794, but married Mr. King in 1812 in Scipio, Cayuga Co., N. Y. He was a carpenter and joiner; worked at his trade in New York until the spring of 1841, when he with his family moved to Michigan, landing in Lyons, Ionia Co., still following his chosen avocation until 1845, when he was killed by a falling limb. Mrs. King remained on the home until her death, teaching her children by her example habits of industry, economy, sociability, and honesty. Her precepts were well observed, she never having cause to complain, as they all filled the qualifications taught and became prosperous and respected. The subjects of this sketch remained at home, assisting their older brothers to clear up their new home, until they were of age, and in consideration for said work received a deed of eighty acres of wild land in Ionia County. In the spring of 1846 A. P. hired out to Mr. Jason Cowles, in Johnstown, Barry Co., for one year, and with this bought 80 acres more in Ionia County, his brother, B. W., still remaining at home improving their first purchase. After A. P.'s time was out in Barry County, he returned to Ionia County, and built a house on his farm, remaining about one year, making other improvements. June 1, 1848, he married Miss Mary York, daughter of Henry and Polly York, who were both natives of Saratoga, N. Y., where she was born July 7, 1826. Her father was a farmer, and came to Michigan when she was sixteen years of age, where the mother died in 1846, the father pursing life's rugged path unaided and alone until 1878, when he, too, was called to try the divine reality of that which is beyond. After marriage, instead of returning to their home in Ionia, Mr. King bought the farm where he now lives of his wife's father, consisting of one hundred and twenty-eight acres on sections 28 and 29, Johnstown township, running in debt for it. In about one year the younger brother sold out his interest in Ionia and joined his brother, he marrying Miss Sallie York, a sister of his brother's wife. They have always lived as one family, thus proving an exception to the old adage, "No house is large enough for two families." In 1850 they disposed of their land in Ionia. To their home-farm they have added at different times, until it now contains four hundred and fifteen acres, - three hundred and sixty-five improved. Though they have met with severe losses, losing at one time by fire three thousand dollars, they rank today among the leading farmers of the county. They might be termed mixed farmers, making a specialty of blooded cattle and horses. They have at present forty head of short-horns as fine as can be found, and sixteen head of find blooded horses.
To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. A. P. King were given two children - Frances H., born May 16, 1851, now Mrs. Doty, and living in same town, and Henry N., born Nov. 23, 1853, still remaining at home. In politics both are Democrats, but not office-seekers, though often solicited. B. W. has been president of the Agricultural Society, and was nominated for the office of sheriff, but, his party being in the minority, he was defeated. Mr. A. P. King and wife have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for twelve years. [Source: "History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers," Philadelphia; D. W. Ensign & Co., 1880; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]
NELSON T. PARKER
Proprietor and manager of the Hastings House, at Hastings, Barry County, is a native of Jackson, Mich., where he was born July 1, 1840. He is a son of Waterman and Amanda (Powers) Parker, who were natives of New York and Vermont respectively. The father came to Michigan and made his home first at Jackson, where he was married and where he clerked for a while in an hotel. He then rented an hotel at Jackson and coming to Hastings in 1848 kept an hotel here for some two years. He then engaged in the grocery business, and followed the same through life. For two years previous to his death in 1870 he kept a store at Nashville. He had lost his wife in 1852. He was a Republican in his political views. He had a family of live children, of whom our subject is the oldest now living. He received his education in Hastings.
Nelson T. Parker enlisted in 1863 in Company C Eleventh Michigan Cavalry. He was given the office first of Corporal and afterwards of Sergeant and acted as Quartermaster-Sergeant. He was with Stoneman upon his raid and later with Gen. Burbridge. After his return to Hastings he engaged in the livery business and took hold of the hotel business in 1876. In 1879 he purchased the hotel which now stands just north of his new building. He keeps the finest livery stable and one of the best hotels in the county. He built the Hastings hotel in 1886, at a cost of some $30,000, its dimensions are 50x80 feet, and it has three stories and a basement with all the modern improvements. He owns numerous lots, houses and barns in the city. He is a stock-holder in the Hastings furniture factory, in the whip factory and in the creamery. The marriage of our subject took place in 1869. His bride was a Hastings lady who bore the name of Hattie Morgan and is a daughter of William and Ellen Morgan. One son has blessed this marriage. This son Fred is head clerk for his father, and is married to Clara Kurta of Hustings. Mr. Parker has some fine blooded horses of the Hamblelonian stock and is one of the stock-holders and also the Treasurer of the Hastings Horse Association. He has. held the office of Alderman and is Republican in his politics. He is also identified with the Knights of Pythias and is one of the prominent men of the county being widely known and respected by all. He takes an active interest in all matters pertaining to either city or county and ever lends a helping hand to every enterprise which is calculated to improve the city. [Eaton & Barry Co -- Portraits Biographical 1891]
HORACE F. PECKHAM
On this page we will introduce Horace F. Peckham, M.D., who was born in 1844 in Madison, Madison Co., N. Y. His father was David R. Peckham, a native of Rhode Island. He removed to Madison Co., N. Y., when he was twenty-six years of age. His occupation was solely to shoe the soleless maidens, and the boys to boot were not forgotten. He was the parent of three children one of them is a daughter, Mrs. Eda Gardner, of Chenango Co., N. Y. The second daughter is a Mrs. Bouck, of Kent Co., Mich. He also has a son, Dr. H. C. Peckham, residing in Otsego Co., Mich., who read medicine with his brother, Dr. H. F. Peckham, the gentleman whose portrait heads this sketch. Dr. H. F. Peckham received his early instruction in the district school of his native town. At the age of sixteen he entered the Madison University, of Hamilton, where he remained for three years in the literary department. After having studied with great credit he withdrew from school, and, after an absence of one year, commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Hiram Scranton, of Cortland, N. Y. He graduated at the Eclectic Medical College of Philadelphia, Pa., and entered upon his career as a physician at Chenango Co., N. Y. He lived in this county for two years, and then removed to Cedar Creek Mich., where he has ever since sedulously attended to his profession. His marriage fortune was made on Oct. 24, 1870. He wooed and won the daughter of T. H. Allen, of Barry County, whose first name is Sarah. She was born in Battle Creek, Mich. The doctor is not a member of any church, but his views are inclined towards the Universalist denomination. He is a Democrat politically, and is a strong partisan. He is a very active leader in his own party. During many campaigns he has spoken in nearly every school-house in Barry County, and his speeches were received with great acclamation. At the present time he is building a mill at Cedar Creek, which will be completed during the coming summer, 1880. [Source: "History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers," Philadelphia; D. W. Ensign & Co., 1880; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]
JUDGE D.G. ROBINSON
Judge Robinson, President of the Hastings City Bank, was born in Maine January 4, 1811, and is the son of Benjamin and Lydia (Weeks) Robinson, natives respectively of Nova Scotia and Maine. The paternal grandfather, whose name was Joseph, was also a native of Maine and was a man of splendid physique, about six feet tall, and finely proportioned. He was a member of the Congregational Church and followed the avocation of a farmer. His family comprised eight children, among them being Benjamin, who was reared on the home farm and started out in life for himself at an early age. He engaged in farming until his death in 1819, and belonged to the Congregational Church, In the faith of which he died. He was a Captain in the State Militia and was at one time called out to the sea hoard, as it was said the English were coming to invade this country.
Benjamin Robinson was one of four children; his sisters, Lydia W. and Louisa W. both married, the former becoming Mrs. Barrows and dying in Maine, while the latter, who married a Mr. Fernald, had a family of five children and is now a resident of China, Me. Benjamin C, the youngest of the children, followed mercantile pursuits from early life until his death in Augusta, Me. Our subject was one of three children born to his parents and he received a common-school education which commenced at the ago of four years. He attended school until he was fifteen years old" walking the entire distance to the schoolhouse which was one and a quarter miles from his home. During this time when at leisure he assisted in the farm work and clerked in a general store.
At the age of fifteen years our subject left home and for four years remained with Samuel Homans, doing general work. Later he clerked for two years in a store at Vassal borough for his uncle Elijah Robinson, and was for the same period in a dry-goods store in Hallowell, Me. The firm with whom he was working sent him to St. Albans to take charge of a general store, and this he conducted for two years, meeting with success in the enterprise. By taking charge of a store for three years he hail a half interest in same, and when the store was sold he remained for a time with the purchasers. Next he engaged in various enterprises, among them that of taking charge of the financial department of a tannery house for four years, and afterward managing a store in North Wayne, Me. In 1848 Judge Robinson left his native State and came to Harry County, Mich., and the following year his wife came from his Eastern home. Prior to coming here he had purchased one hundred and sixty acres in Hastings Township, three miles from the city, and on this place he remained a year and a half. He improved the farm, buildings log house in which the family lived until their removal to town. Upon locating in Hastings the Judge engaged in the mercantile business with Nathan Harlow, but after a partnership extending over three years, Mr. Robinson sold out his interest and engaged with his brother-in-law in the same business about two years. Until 1869 Mr. Robinson engaged in merchandising, and has been instrumental in building up the city. In December. 1886, he became President of the Hastings City Bank, which position he still acceptably fills. Judge Robinson was married in 1883 to Miss Sarah B. Keith and of this union one child was born, now Mrs. Annie M. Roberts, of Hastings. The mother died in 1870 and the Judge married a second time, the bride on this occasion being Mrs. Beicher, of Maine. They have a pleasant residence on Jefferson Street and enjoy the friendship of their large circle of acquaintances. The Judge is a Democrat and a member of the Episcopal Church, having been Warden and Vestryman of the latter since its organization. He is one of the prominent men of the county, and has held various official positions, among them that of County Judge from 1850 to 1852. He became a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in Maine and the following year became a Mason. (American Women, Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow.)
GEORGE WASHINGTON THOMAS
George Washington Thomas was born in Barry Co MI 13 January 1877 - died 10 June 1964. George is buried at Cedar Creek Cemetery, Hope Twp. Hastings MI.
[Information and Photographs contributed by Gary Foster]
CHARLES H. and SARAH (GIBBS) WATERS
Charles H. Waters was born 2-10-1842 in Ohio, the son of John C. and Amy (Weldon) Waters. He was light complexioned with black hair and eyes and grew to 5' 11". He and his family had musical talent being old time fiddlers. He also played wooden flute and banjo. Grandson Nathan remembers Charles making necks for violins shorter than standard - just right for him. He had at least two brothers, Asquire, Born - 1845 and Riley, Born - 1852 both in Michigan. The family lived in Macomb County in 1860. Brother Riley was a professional singer studying in the East and singing in opera houses in the midwest including Chicago and Hastings. He lived in the first ward in Hastings; had an iron works there at one time. Charles enlisted in the Civil War for three years at Utica, Mi. 3-23-1862, mustered in 4-10-1862, wounded 6-27-1862 - actually he was reported killed but in reality he was shot through the face and neck destroying a portion of his teeth and lower jaw to "partially prevent most eating and mastication." The right cheek bone was shattered and nerves to the eye affected - his eye watered and vision was impaired. He was confined at Savage Station and said hospital was abandoned to the enemy 6-29-1862. He was confined at Libby and Belle Island prisons, paroled at City Point, Virginia. 8-3-1862, mustered out at a camp near Jeffers Mill, Indiana 7-18-1862 and discharged 10-25-1862. While in prison he contracted scurvy and a later affidavit states "from starvation."
He married Sarah Mahetable Gibbs 2-23-1864. Sarah was born 7-2-1850 daughter of Silas K. and Adeline Gibbs of Pennfield, Calhoun County, Michigan. The children were born in Lenawee County 1. Amy Adeline B - 10-9-1865, 2. Charles B - 2-22-1867, 3. John Hudson B - 11-6-1868, 4. Jennie Mabel B - 11-23-1871, 5. Estella Ynonna B - 11-23-1874.
The family came to Barry County about 1882 and bought 40 acres - W½ of the E½ of the NE¼ of Section 10 Hastings Township - one mile South of Coats Grove Rd. on Becker Rd., turn East about ¼ mile on South side of road. When Charles became too ill for Sarah to manage alone, Estella's family moved in to help. Charles died 11-23-1910
Sarah moved to Hastings where she cooked in hotels and ran a boarding house. In 1918, she sold the farm for $2000. When her health forced her to give up her home, she lived with various children and grandchildren. She tried to piece an "around the world" quilt top for each grandchild and a "sunbonnet" quilt for each great-grandchild which was embroidered on the four corners of each block. she never finished them all, dying at her daughter Jennie's home 10-11-1935 and is buried at Riverside Cemetery, Hastings.
Daughter Amy married Nathan Harmon Parker 4-18-1882, children: Claude wed Mabel Painter - two children, 2nd wife Myrtie Otto; Edna married Purl Chaffee, child Viva; Kirk married Ethel Lint - children Ina and Angeline; Norman married Mary Williams - child Minerva; Ruth wed Clyde Denslow; Charles married Blanche Earl - child Charles Jr.; Ralph married Alta G. Krouse - child Sharlean Jean who married Roger Massman and lives in Lansing. 2. Charles married Emma Linsley - no children. 3. John Hudson married Jennie Thomas - children Blanch, Elsie, Omon, Anna and Pearl. 4. Jennie married William Johnson after his death she married Harry L. Waters 2-6-1895 - children: Glenora wed LeRoy Hamilton; Paul married Helen Geib, Mary Rysenga and Belah Marks; Gertrude married Fred Jones - children Irene, Willo and Beverly. 5. Estella married Lora (Lo) Norton. [Source: The Barry County Michigan History 1985: Page 287]
George Whitney - Hastings Twp.
George Whitney was born in the town of Parma, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, April 12, 1828. He was the son of Joseph Whitney, and was reared on a farm, obtaining a common- school education. Upon attaining his majority he commenced life for himself. In 1837 the family came to Michigan and settled in Jackson County, where the elder Whitney purchased a farm. Here he resided six years; then came to Carlton, where he resided until his dead), which occurred in 1875. Mr. Whitney's first venture in business was in manufacturing shingles; he then went into a saw-mill, in which vocation he became an expert; for eleven years he was in the employ of Ryerson & Hills, proprietors of the Bay Mill, at Muskegon ; he worked for this firm eleven years without the loss of a day. In 1876 he came to Hastings, and purchased the farm on which he now resides, a view of which we present on another page. In 1854 he was married to Miss Margaret McMannes, of Grand Rapids; they have an interesting family of eight children. [History of Allegan and Barry counties, Michigan, 1880 with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers.]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails