OLIVER C. ABELL
Was born at Augusta, Georgia, July 3, 1827, and was the son of a wealthy cotton dealer and slaveholder. In 1830 he removed to Detroit. Michigan, and the next year to Dearborn, Wayne county, where he spent a portion of his time teaching until 1851, when he went to California, and remained there until 1856. On his return he was elected treasurer of Dearborn. He followed farming until 1862. He held the office of enrolling officer of the draft department and deputy provost marshal during the war. He was also deputy assessor and collector of revenue, which office he held until removed by Andrew Johnson. Exempted from the draft by disability, he furnished a substitute at a cost of eight hundred dollars. In 1867 he was State Senator and chairman of the committee on railroads. He was a director of the Detroit, Lansing & Northern Railroad. He removed
to Nankin, laid out a village , and was the first hardware merchant there. He was postmaster five years, president of the village, and trustee. From 1875 to 1878 he had charge of the Wayne county poor- house. He removed to Detroit in 1884. In politics, a Republican.
Was an early member of the Ann Arbor bar, was an excellent man, of fair abilities as a lawyer, and was honored with many public offices. In politics, a Republican. He was State Senator from Washtenaw county in 1857-8. Deceased.
ADRIAN O. ABBOTT,
Representative from the Third District of Lenawee county in 1887, was born at Munnsville, Madison county, N. Y., Aug. 26, 1842. Three years later his parents moved to Oriskany Falls, Oneida county, where his boyhood wag spent. In 1856, at the age of fourteen, he left school and sold goods in a general store in the village where his parents resided. He remained in the store for about two years, after which he was a schoolmaster. In 1860 he secured a position in a dry goods store at Clinton, N. Y., where he remained until the summer of 1861, when he enlisted in Co. A, 1st N. Y. Artillery. In the spring of 1863 he was discharged for physical disability. In 1863 he secured a position in a dry goods house in Utica, N. Y., where he remained until he came to Michigan. In 1866 Mr. Abbott located at Adrian and opened a ladies' furnishing goods store, and the business increasing, he finally went into the general dry goods business, which he conducted until 1873. Since 1873 Mr. Abbott has been engaged in the manufacturing and selling of his own inventions, some of which have proved very useful and secured a reputation over the whole country. For over three years he has held the position of president of the village of Hudson. In politics, a Republican.
ISAAC C. ABBOTT,
Representative from Calhoun county in 1863-4, was born in the state of New Hampshire. April 5, 1819. He came to Romeo, Michigan, in1843. He was a Methodist Episcopal minister for seventeen years, when he became a farmer in Leroy, Calhoun county. For the last four years he has lived in Galesburg. In politics a Republican.
JOSHUA K. ABBOTT.
Representative in 1850 from Genesee county, was born in Concord, N. H., in 1810. He came to Michigan in 1838. By trade a bookbinder. On coming to Michigan he became a merchant and farmer at Grand Blanc. He was postmaster for twenty years. He went to the war as sutler of the 30th Iowa, of which his brother was colonel. He was taken sick in front of Vicksburg and died on his way home at Cairo, February 4, 1863. His son, Charles H., is a State Senator in Colorado, and a prominent miner.
The first Auditor General of the state, the oldest of three sons of James Abbott, an early settler, was born in Detroit in 1770. After reaching maturity he became a partner with his father, Jam. Abbott, who was prominently connected with the fur trade of the northwest. Mr. Abbott held the position of treasurer of the territorial funds, 1813 to 1836 ; auditor of public accounts, 1809 to 1836, and was a U. S. master in chancery. His name also appears in local offices of all grades, and in benevolent and church enterprises, especially in advancing the interests of the Methodist church, to which he was devoted. Politics, Democratic. He died hi 1852.
WM. L. ABBOTT,
Representative from Lapeer county in 1877-9, was born in the county of Beauharnois, Parish of Ste. Marline, Canada East, March 29, 1835. He received a common school education, and resided in Canada until the year 1856, when the family emigrated to the United States, with the intention of settling in Kansas ; but owing to the political disturbances in that state at the time, they retraced their steps and settled in Goodland, Lapeer county, Michigan, where he engaged in lumbering and farming. His present occupation is farming. He has held the office of township clerk, supervisor and other minor offices. In politics, a Republican.
Representative from Jackson county in 1839 and 1840, was an early settler in the town of Concord, and was supervisor in 1838. Politics and occupation unknown.
Representative from Saginaw county in 1873-4, was born Dec. 16, 1826, in the town of Stowe, Portage county, Ohio. Mr. Ackley received a common school education. In 1840 he emigrated to Michigan and settled in Shiawassee township, Shiawassee county. In 1863 he removed to the village of St. Charles, Saginaw county, where he now resides. Mr. Ackley has been president of the village of St. Charles, and has held other important offices in the town. His business is that of a merchant.
Was born near Glasgow, Scotland, in 1815. In 1834 he settled at Detroit, Michigan. He worked as a carpenter until 1840, when he began business as a gardener and horticulturist, in which he was very successful. He held several local positions of honor in Detroit, among them president of the Detroit Mechanics' Society and president of St. Andrew's Society. He was State Senator in 1861-2-3-4-5-9-1870-5-7. In politics, a Democrat. A quiet, unassuming gentleman, he became one of the most influential members of the Senate, and probably exercised greater influence than any other democrat.
JOHN J. ADAM
Was born at Paisley, Scotland, October 30, 1807. He received a good education, graduating at Glasgow college in 1826 with honor. The same year he emigrated to this country and arrived at Baltimore July 4, 1826. He taught Latin, Greek and mathematics at an academy in Meadville, Pa., for a year, and returned to Scotland. In 1831 he settled in Lenawee county, Michigan, where he still resides. He taught school at Clinton, and in 1832 enlisted as a private in Captain Hickson's company to serve in the Black Hawk war, but the company only went to Niles. He took part in the " Toledo War " as a lieutenant. Afterwards he was appointed paymaster of the 5th Division Michigan Militia, and in 1841 aid-de-camp of Gen. Davis Smith, same command. In 1835 he was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention, and took an active part in framing the first State Constitution.
He was secretary of the State Senate for the first three legislative sessions. In 1839 he was a Representative from Lenawee county, and State Senator in 1840 and 1841 from the second district, comprising Monroe, Lenawee and Hillsdale counties. In January, 1842, he was elected State Treasurer to fill an unexpired term, and was twice re-elected, serving from January 13, 1842, to May 24, 1845, when he resigned at the request of Gov. Barry to take the position of Auditor General, which he held until Jan. 28, 1846. In 1847 he again served as Representative, was chairman of the committee on ways and means, and took an active part in locating the capital at Lansing. He was again elected by the legislature Auditor General, May 9. 1848, and served until 1851. From that time until 1868 he was in the service of the Michigan Southern road, and was their construction agent in building the Air-line, the Jackson branch, the Three Rivers road and the Detroit & Toledo road. From 1858 to 1868 he was auditor of the company, when he resigned. He was again Representative in the legislature in 1871-2. For several years he was president of the council of the village of Tecumseh, and was president of the State Pioneer Society in 1878-9. He is still living at Tecumseh in the enjoyment of health, and honored by all who know him. Politically a Democrat.
EZRA C. ADAMS,
Representative from the First District of Kalamazoo in 1881-2-85, was born at Collins Centre, Erie county, N. Y., July 14, 1823. He is a descendant of Samuel Adams of Revolutionary fame. At the age of fourteen he moved with his parents to Wayne county, N. Y. , and subsequently to Franklin, Portage (now Kent county), Ohio, where he commenced the study of medicine. At the age of twenty-one he graduated from the medical department of the Willoughby University. After practicing as a physician three years in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, he returned to New York, where he was engaged in his profession seven years at Collins, the town of his birth. In 1854 he removed to Kalamazoo county, Mich., and since that time has resided in that and Allegan county as a medical practitioner. Mr. Adams has been president of the village of Plainwell, and was a Republican member in the House from the First District of Kalamazoo county in 1871. In 1872 he was nominated as member of the legislature by the Democrats and Liberal Republicans of the Second District of Allegan, which nomination was declined. In 1874 he was nominated by the Democrats of his district and defeated by a small majority. In 1882 he was the Fusion candidate from the First Representative District of Kalamazoo county, and was defeated. In 1884 he was again nominated and elected, receiving 2,034 votes, Alexander Cameron, the Republican candidate, receiving 2,010, and the Prohibition candidate, Paul T. Butler, 379.
Representative from Oakland county in 1838, was born at Andover, Massachusetts, April 23, 1767, and was by profession a physician, in politics a free soil Democrat. As a resident of Michigan he first settled in St. Joseph county in 1839, but removed from there to Oakland county in 1835. When he first went to White Pigeon the nearest post- office was at Tecumseh, and there was no flour mill in St. Joseph county. Dr. Adams was a graduate of Harvard College. He was one of the committee on education in the House, of which Alpheus Felch was chairman, and assisted in preparing the bill to establish the University of Michigan, and took an active interest in that institution during his life. Died at Troy, Oakland county, in 1852.
JOHN Q. ADAMS,
Representative from Marquette county in 1883, was born in Cornwall, Litchfield county, Connecticut, November 2, 1837. He remained with his parents until eighteen years of age, working upon the farm except during the winter months, a portion of which were spent in school. From 1856 to 1859 he was clerk in the drug store of J. M. Gardner, in the village of West Cornwall, Connecticut. In 1863 he commenced the study of law in the office of George Wheaton, of West Cornwall. His studies were pursued during evening hours, while the days were devoted to labor at such employments as he could engage in. He was admitted to the bar at Litchfield in April, 1865, and immediately entered upon the practice of law as the partner of his tutor, Mr. Wheaton, who died six months later, when Mr. Adams succeeded to his practice, and continued the same until March, 1872, when he removed to Negaunee, Marquette county, Mich., where he has since resided, and continued in the practice of his profession. In 1874 he was elected circuit court commissioner of Marquette county, serving in that office until 1876, when he was elected prosecuting attorney of that county, and re-elected in 1878, and again in 1880, thus serving six consecutive years. In September, 1879, he formed a partnership with James F. Foley, of Negaunee, for mining purposes, and in the following month the firm discovered what is now known as the Milwaukee mine, in Negaunee, and which they sold in February, 1881. He is interested largely in the New York Hematite Mine, and in other valuable mining properties in the mining districts of Lake Superior. Politically a Republican. He was elected by about 1,100 majority over S. S. Curry, Democrat.
Was born in Harpersfleld, Delaware county, New York, April 16, 1837. At the age of twenty, he commenced the study of law at Buffalo,graduated from the Ballston Spa law school, and was admitted to the bar in 1850. He began practice in Erie county, New York, then removed to Wisconsin for two years. In 1855 he came to Flint, Michigan. In 1860 he was elected circuit court commissioner of Genesee county. During the war he was an army paymaster. In 1871-2 he was Representative in the legislature. He was several years president of the school board at Flint and also its treasurer. It was while he was a member that the fine high school building was erected in Flint. He is a good lawyer. A Republican in politics.
PETER R. ADAMS
Was born in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1825. He moved to Tecumseh, Mich., in 1830, where he practiced his profession until 1842, when he retired with a competence, and became a successful farmer. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1850, and held other positions. He died at Tecumseh
Was born at Medway, Norfolk county, Mass., March 2, 1804, and was the son of a Revolutionary soldier. He received a common school education. From 1820 to 1828 he was engaged in mechanical work, most of the time in machine shops. In 1828 he went to New York City, and from there came to Bronson, Mich. , in 1830, settling on a farm. With Willard Pierce he built the second saw-mill in Branch county in 1831. He was for twenty years supervisor of the township, and was for one term county treasurer. He was a Representative to the legislatures of 1844 and 1845, and was a delegate in the Constitutional Convention of 1850. Not living
ALLEN C. ADSIT
Was born in Rutland, Jefferson county, New York, Feb. 20, 1837. Bis early life was spent upon his father's farm, receiving such education as the district school and county institute afforded. He studied law at Watertown, N. Y., and was admitted to the bar in 1859. Enlisted , in the 44th N. Y. Volunteers in 1861, and participated in the principal battles in which the Army of the Potomac were engaged. At the close of the war settled at Spring Lake, Ottawa county, Michigan, and engaged in the mercantile business in company with Hon. J. B. Per- ham. Was supervisor of said town for six successive years, and Representative in the State legislature from Ottawa county in 1871 and 1872. In 1874, having resumed the practice of law, he was elected prosecuting attorney for said county, and served during the years 1875 and 1876. Removed to Grand Rapids in 1877, where he has since resided, engaged in the practice of the law. Politics Democratic.
ROBERT P. AITKIN
Was born Feb. 15, 1819, in Perth, Fulton county, N. Y., and was of Scotch parentage. He attended district schools winters until the age of 17, when he became a clerk in a military store in the city of New York. After six years' service in that place he emigrated in 1842 to Genesee county, Michigan, and bought part of the farm now owned by him in the township of Flint, paid for it out of his small earnings, and commenced the task of clearing up a farm. lie married Miss Johnston in 1843. He still lives on the same farm, and in 1886 was serving his 25th year as supervisor of the town of Flint. He cast his first vote for Harrison, and remained a Whig until 1854, since a Republican. He was Representative in the Michigan legislature in the sessions of 1865 and 1867. Is a member of the Episcopal church. He was the organizer and is director and secretary of the Genesee County Mutual Fire Insurance Co. Has been the father of ten children, of whom six are now living. The eldest son died in consequence of four years' service in the late war.
Representative from Branch county in 1835, 1836 and 1837, was born in Ashfield, Mass., in October, 1792, and was of the seventh generation from John Alden, of Mayflower fame. He moved with his father's family to Rome, N. J., in 1800, where he passed his boyhood days and acquired an education with the privations incident to these early days. He studied medicine with Dr. Rathburn, of Camden, N. J., completing his course in Cincinnati in 1824. and acquired an enviable reputation in the profession. He came from Ripley, N. J., to Coldwater in 1834. In 1838 he was appointed by Governor Mason Commissioner of Internal Improvements, and was acting Railroad Commissioner at the time of the construction of the railroad from Detroit to Pontiac. He died at Detroit, November 26, 1833, and was followed to his grave by six hundred officials and laborers, who insisted on paying the expenses as their tribute to a friend and an honest man. He left a wife, four sons and five daughters. Among those living are Judge Isaac Alden, of Montana; Rev. Willis Alden, of Oregon; and the wives of the late Roland Root and H. C. Lewis, and of Hon. H. Haynes, of Coldwater.
Was born in Erie county , N. Y., Jan. 27, 1820. His father, Levi Aidrich, was a pioneer farmer of Erie county. He received an academical education, studied medicine at the Albany Medical College and Buffalo Medical University, and practiced medicine successfully in Erie county until 1880, when his health failing him, he removed to Caas county and settled on a farm, but soon resumed his practice at Edwardsburg, which was extensive and lucrative. He was Representative from Cass county in 1863-4 ; Senator in 1865, and a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1867. In politics an active Republican, and a Quaker in religion, but contributes to the support of various denominations.
LORENZO P. ALEXANDER
Was born in Angelica, Alleghany county, N. Y ., August 10, 1820. When twenty-one he came to Michigan, and settled at Buchanan, where he still resides. In 1844 he was a militia captain, and in 1845 became colonel of the 28th Regiment, During his first six years he was a carpenter; then for three years in the boot and shoe trade; and then for more than twenty years in the general mercantile trade. He was constable and town treasurer five years; school director twenty -five years; town clerk; justice of the peace; and many years supervisor. He was a Representative in the legislature of 1841-42. In 1867 he was member of the Constitutional Convention; and in 1871-72, State Senator. He was a delegate to the Republican National Convention at Baltimore in 1864, and was a member of the committee that notified President Lincoln of his renomination. He was postmaster of Buchanan from 1862 to 1866, and again from 1877 to 1886. He is now supervisor and justice. A Republican since 1854.
SYDNEY U. ALEXANDER
Was born in Westfield, Medina county, Ohio, May 22, 1835. His father removed to Dewitt in 1887. In 1850 he entered the printing office of the Clinton Express, at Dewitt, and learned the trade of a printer, under the direction of Mark A. Childs. After five years' service as printer he became a farmer, which is his present occupation. In 1860 he was elected supervisor of Olive, and held the position five years. In 1867 he served as Representative from the First District of Clinton county to the legislature. Has since been supervisor of Watertown two years. In politics, a Democrat.
RUSSELL A. ALGER
Was born in Lafayette, Medina county, Ohio, February 27, 1836, and was the son of Russell Alger, whose ancestors came from England to Massachusetts about 1760. His great grandfather served in the Revolutionary war, and took part in many battles. His mother, Caroline Moulton, was a descendant of Robert Moulton, who came to Massachusetts
is 1627. His parents died when he was but eleven years of age, and he was left to carve out his own career as well as to care for a younger brother and sister. He found work on a farm in Richfield. Ohio, where he remained seven years, working by the month the greater part of the year, saving his money and applying it in aid of his brother and sister, and to pay his own tuition at the Richfield academy in winter terms, working for his board. He thus obtained a fair English education, and early began teaching winters, still working on a farm summers. In March, 1857, he began the study of the law in the office of Wolcott & Upson, at Akron, and in March, 1859, was admitted by the Supreme Court to the bar. -After a few months in the law business at Cleveland, he abandoned the law and removed to Grand Rapids, where he engaged in the lumber business.
In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Second Michigan Cavalry and in the autumn was mustered in as Captain. The formal record of his service is: Captain Second Cavalry, Sept. 2, 1861, Major, April 2, 1863, wounded and taken prisoner at Boonesville, Mississippi, July 1, 1862, escaped July 1, 1862, Lieutenant Colonel Sixth Michigan Cavalry, October 16, 1862, Colonel Fifth Cavalry, Feb. 28, 1863, wounded in action at Boonesboro, Maryland, July 8, 1863, resigned, Sept. 20, 1864, and honorably discharged. Brevet Brigadier General United States Volunteers, for gallant and meritorious services, to rank from battle of Trevellion Station, Virginia, June 11, 1864, Brevet Major General United States Volunteers, June 11, 1865, for gallant and meritorious services during the war. He was a born soldier, took part in sixty- six battles and skirmishes all told, and gained by faithfulness and bravery the rank which he obtained.
In 1805 he went to Detroit and engaged in dealing in pine lands and the pine lumber business. The firm, first Moore & Alger, became R. A. Alger & Co., and is now Alger, Smith & Co. He is president of the Manistique Lumbering Co., and of the Detroit, Bay City & Alpena Railroad Co., a director of the Detroit National Bank, the Peninsular Car Co., and several other large corporations. In 1884 he received the Republican nomination for Governor and was elected over Josiah W. Begole by a plurality of 3,953 votes — David Preston, Prohibition candidate, receiving 22,207 votes. His administration compared favorably with those of his predecessors and was free from narrowness or parsimony.
In 1861 he married Annette H. Heary, daughter of W. H. Henry, of Grand Rapids, and they have three daughters and three sons. He has a fine home in Detroit and has the confidence and regard of the people of Michigan. Gov. Alger was Inspector General from 1867 to 1873, and is now one of the Board of Managers of the Michigan Soldiers' Home at Grand Rapids. He gives large sums in charity.
Was born in Monroe county, N. Y., June 18, 1817. He came to Michigan in 1835, and settled in Commerce, Oakland county. He was supervisor of that town in 1860, 1861 and 1803. In 1865 he was Representative in the legislature from Oakland county, as a Republican. He removed to Lansing in 1867 and engaged in manufacturing
sash, doors and blinds; also in the lumbering business. He still resides in Lansing.
EDWARD P. ALLEN
Was born in Sharon, Washtenaw county,' Michigan, October 23, 1839. Worked on a farm till he was twenty years old, attending school and teaching daring winters; graduated from the State Normal School in March, 1864; taught the Union School in Vassar, Michigan, for the three months following, when he enlisted and helped to raise a company for the Twenty-ninth Michigan Infantry; was commissioned First Lieutenant in that regiment in the following September, and went with it southwest, where the regiment was engaged in active
campaigning until the 1st of April; in September, 1865, was mustered out of the service with his regiment as Captain; entered the law school at Ann Arbor, graduating in March, 1867; formed a partnership with Hon. S. M. Cutcheon; upon the removal of Mr. Cutcheon to Detroit, in 1875, he continued the practice alone at Ypsilanti; was elected alderman of Ypsilanti in 1873 and 1874, and mayor in 1880; was prosecuting attorney of Washtenaw county in 1872: was elected to the lower house of the legislature in 1876, serving as chairman of the committee on education; was again elected in 1878, at which time he was elected speaker pro tern ; was appointed assistant assessor of internal revenue in 1869; was United States Indian agent in Michigan in August, 1882, which office he held until December, 1885; ran for congress in 1884, and was defeated by Colonel Eldridge, Democrat; and was elected in 1886 to the fiftieth congress as a Republican, receiving, 16,518 votes against 15,486 votes for Lester H. Salisbury, Democrat, and 2,448 votes for Crozier, Prohibitionist.
GEORGE W. ALLEN,
Member of the House for the sessions of 1859 and 1865 from Grand Rapids, was born in Enfield, Hartford county, Conn., Sept. 17, 1813. When three years of age he was taken by his mother (his father being dead) to the Connecticut western reserve, Ohio, where she settled in the town of Painesville. Mr. Allen remained in Painesville until 1853.when he, with his family, removed to Grand Rapids. Mich., where he still resides. The session of 1859 was noted for the passage of three important acts, viz: The act abolishing the grand jury system, the swamp land road act, and the act to encourage and develop the salt interest, by offering a bounty of ten cents per bushel on all salt manufactured in the state. Mr. Allen was chairman of the house select committee on salt. In 1866 he was appointed U. S. pension agent for Western Michigan. He has held several important positions connected with city affairs. Politically he was a Whig as long as the Whig party existed, since which he has been a Republican of a pronounced type. He is now a retired merchant.
Representative from Monroe county in 1857 and 1858, was born in the state of Vermont in 1810. By occupation a farmer and civil engineer, in politics a Democrat until the Dred Scott decision, since a Republican. Has several times been supervisor of Milan, town clerk, and has filled the position of county surveyor several times. He settled in Monroe county in 1832 and now lives in Milan.
HIRAM M. ALLEN,
Representative from the Second District of Eaton county in 1887, was born in the township of Tecumseh, Lenawee county, November 16, 1834. His parents were pioneers, having moved from Vermont to this state in 1829. In 183.3 they moved to Marshall, Calhoun county. His boyhood was spent on the farm, and he attended the district school winters. At the age of seventeen he began teaching winters, and working on his father's farm summers. At the age of twenty- five he married Mary L. Hewitt, and in the spring of 1860 he moved on a new farm in Bellevue, Eaton county. In 1876 he sold his farm and bought one of the finest in Central Michigan, known as the "Captain Fitzgerald farm," on which he now resides, one-half of which lies in the corporation of the village of Bellevue. He has held the offices of township treasurer, school inspector, and village trustee, and for a number of years has been a member of the county committee. He is a Republican and was elected Representative to the House of 1887-8 by a vote of 1,862 to 1,443 for J. F. Dowing, Democrat, and 302 for P. Parmenter, Prohibitionist.
Was born in Augusta county, Virginia, May 17, 1796. His parents were James and Elizabeth (Tate) Allen, both native Virginians. Mr. Allen spent his early life in Virginia, where he received his education. In January, 1824, he come to Michigan, and, in company with E. W. Eumsey, located the site of Ann Arbor. He engaged in land speculation and at one time owned thousands of acres of land in the western part of the state, much of which was lost in the panic of 1837. In company with Samuel W. Dexter, he published for a time the Western Emigrant, the first paper in Washtenaw county. He studied law with James Kingsley, and was admitted to the bar in 1832, but gave little time to the profession. He was State Senator in 1845-6-7 and '8. He went to California in 1850 and died there March 11, 1851.
Was born Aug. 19, 1797, at Morristown, N. J. His father moved to Seneca county, N. Y., in 1803. The county was then a wilderness. He lived in Seneca county until 1833. when he moved to Sharon, Washtenaw county. On the organization of the township in 1834, he was elected its first supervisor, which office he held repeatedly, as also that of justice of the peace. He was elected Representative to the legislature of 1839, but declined a re-nomination. He was one of the founders of the Presbyterian church in the adjoining village of Manchester, for many years was a ruling elder therein, and always gave much time and attention to educational and religious matters in his neighborhood. He died in Sharon on the farm where he first settled, on the 14th day of October, 1854, aged 57 years. In politics he was a Democrat.
LOVATUS C. ALLEN
Was born in 1816 at Huntington, Vermont. He received a common school education and taught at eighteen. He worked summers and taught winters in his native town until 1841. He then taught in the vicinity of Deckertown, N. Y., continuously for five years. He then took an interest in a woolen factory for three years at Branchville, N. J. He came lo Michigan about 1850 and settled on a farm in York, Washtenaw county. Held various town offices and was Representative in the legislature of 1863-4. Democrat in politics.
MORRIS S. ALLEN
Was born April 10, 1809, in Richfield, Otsego county, N. Y. In 1836 he came to Clinton county, Michigan, and remained until 1838, when he removed to Iowa; remained two years, then returned to New York, and back to De Witt, Michigan, in 1840. In 1844 he was elected sheriff of Clinton county, and in 1849 was a Representative in the legislature from Clinton county. In 1856 he removed to Sabula, Iowa, and was clerk for P. 8. Stiles in a grain and pork packing establishment. In 1867 he was elected sheriff of Jackson county, Iowa, and held the office six years. From 1875 to 1884 he was in business at Miles, Iowa. In politics a Democrat. He died Jan. 18, 1886, at Sabula, Iowa.
Representative from St. Joseph county in 1857-8-77. was born in England, May 12, 1818. He completed his education at Asbury University, Indiana, and in 1839 removed to Sturgis, Mich., where he now resides. He was secretary of the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad Company at its organization and for years thereafter ; has filled many local offices ; was trustee of Albion College for several terms ; is president of the First National Bank of Sturgis. In politics a Republican.
Was a native of Rhode Island, and was educated as a civil engineer. He was for years a resident of Oeneseo, N. Y., where he married Eliza Pierce. He came to Detroit in 1834, where he had been appointed city engineer, remained there several years and laid out the system of sewers and street grades for that city. In 1855 he laid out the village of Kent, now Grand Rapids, for Lucius Lyon and N. O. Sargeant. Mr. Lyon sold out his interest to Charles H. Carroll of Groveland, N. Y., and Mr. Almy was placed in charge. He built the first stone dwelling in Grand Rapids. In 1837 he was elected Representative to the legislature, he was also judge of the county court, city engineer, engineer of the Kalamazoo and other river improvements, and chief clerk in the office of the surveyor general. He was a man of much learning, of fine physical form and a courteous, genial gentleman. He was an Episcopalian. He died in 1863.
Representative from the First District of Hillsdale county, in 1881-2-8, was born August 17, 1834, in the town of Cancadea, Alleghany county, New York, and removed with his father to Williams county, in northern Ohio, in the fall of 1882. His early life was spent on his parents' farm, attending district school whenever possible. When seventeen
years of age, be attended a summer term of the union school at West Unity, Ohio, and taught a district school the next winter near that place. In the following spring, in company with an elder brother, he went to Princeton, Illinois. There he worked on a farm during the summer months, and the following winter attended Princeton Academy. After spending about five years in Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa, he returned to Ohio. He was married to Miss Melinda Landon in the fall of 1856. In the following spring he moved to Camden, Hillsdale county, this State, and engaged in the mercantile business, following that pursuit until the spring of 1869, when he bought a farm in Camden. Since that time he has been engaged in farming and dealing in live stock. In politics he is a Republican.
WILLIAM E. AMBLER,
Senator from the Twenty-seventh District, 1879, 1881 and 1882, comprising the counties of Newaygo, Oceana, Mecosta, Osceola, Lake, Mason, and Manistee, was born at Medina, Ohio, December 18, 1845, and resided there until his parents removed to Hillsdale, Michigan, in 1859. He entered Hillsdale College, but in 1865 left that institution, going to Albion College, where he graduated in the scientific course. In 1866 he entered the Law School at Albany, graduated, and was admitted to practice. In 1867 he finished the classical course at Adrian College, graduating with the degree of A. B. The same fall he established himself as a lawyer at Minneapolis, Minnesota, but in 1868 returned to Michigan and began the practice of law at Pentwater, where he continues to reside. He has been president of the village, and is a member of the firm of Neilsen & Co., bankers. In 1870
Adrian College conferred on him the degree of A. M., and in 1875 Hillsdale College did likewise. Mr. Ambler was chosen a trustee of the latter institution at the last commencement, and is not only the youngest member of the present board but the youngest trustee ever elected. He was elected a Senator in the State legislature in 1878, and was re-elected in 1880, and was president pro tern of the Senate daring his last term. He is now judge of probate for Oceana county.
JOSEPH G. AMES,
Representative from Berrien county in 1844, was born in New Hampshire in 1808. He settled in the town of Weesaw, Berrien county in 1837, and was the first supervisor of that town in 1889. He, with three others, were owners of the village of New Troy, platted in 1837. In 1839 he removed to a farm in Bertrand, where he was supervisor in 1842. Afterwards he became a resident of Three Oaks and was the first postmaster there in 1854. He died August 12, 1855
MICHAEL E. AMES,
A Representative from Wayne county, session of 1846, was a practicing attorney, and settled in Plymouth about three years prior to his election. He was an Eastern man. but the time and place of his nativity are unknown. He removed to Detroit after his legislative term, and soon thereafter went to Stillwater, Minn., and in 1850 was elected a member of the second territorial legislature and was speaker of the assembly Jan. 1 to March 31, 1851. He is supposed to have been dead for some years. Politics presumably democratic.
Senator from Van Buren county in 1873-4, was born Nov. 26, 1825, in the town of Clarendon, Orleans county, New York, and received a common school education. He emigrated to Michigan in 1854, and settled in the town of Madison, Branch county. In 1865 he removed to the town of Columbia, where he now resides. He has held various offices of trust in his township. In 1862 he joined the 19th Michigan Infantry, received the commission of First Lieutenant, and in the same year was promoted to the rank of Captain. In 1864 he was commissioned as Major, and at the close of the war received a Colonel's commission. His occupation is that of a lumber manufacturer.
ROBERT H. ANDERSON
Was born in Ireland in 1810, and came to this country in 1817. He settled in Tompkins, Michigan, in 1835, helped organize the town and named it from Tompkinsville, N. J., where he had lived. He was a judge in Jackson county in 1838, and in 1858 was a delegate in the Constitutional Convention. A farmer and a Democrat.
SAMUEL F. ANDERSON
Was born in Ira, Rutland county, Vermont, February 19, 1803. His father, John Anderson, served in the Revolution, and was for eleven years a member of the Vermont legislature. The son, when a young man, emigrated to Western New York and cleared up a farm. In 1835 he removed to La Grange, Cass county, Michigan, and bought a farm of 200 acres. In 1842 and 1843 he was a Representative in the legislature as a Democrat. He was associate county judge in 1845-6. He became a Freesoiler in 1852, and a Republican in 1854. He sent two sons to the army in 1861 , of whom one was killed. He died April 14, 1877.
WILLIAM A. ANDERSON,
Representative from Newaygo county, in 1887, was born in Elgin county, Ontario, in 1843. He is the son of a farmer. At a very early age he acquired a thirst for knowledge which was gratified as well as the public schools and academies of the province would permit. At twenty years of age he was employed in one of the largest nurseries in the province, and he remained until 1863, when he came to Newaygo county, where he has since resided. He built the .Etna flouring mills, on White river, and operated them for many years; he cleared up a large farm; he has been engaged in logging at various times, and at one time in the manufacture of lumber and shingles, and for six years represented the township of Denver on the board of supervisors, holding that office at the time he removed from the town. Mr. Anderson conceived the idea of building a flouring-mill at Fremont, and in February, 1886, the " Crescent Mill " was in operation at Fremont. In politics Mr. Anderson is a consistent Republican, and has been recognized as a leader. He has served one term as chairman of the Republican County Committee, and was unanimously re-elected to a second term. He has held the offices of supervisor and school director. Mr. Anderson was elected Representative by a vote of 1,868 to 1,630 for John W. McNabb, and 287 for James H. Edwards, Prohibitionist.
Was born at Putney, Vt., August 28, 1820. In 1828 he removed with his father, Rev. Elisha D. Andrews, to West Bloomfield, Ontario county, N. Y., from thereto Mendon, Monroe county, in 1839, and In 1831 to Pittsford, same county. In 1841 the family removed to Armada, Michigan, and settled upon land previously purchased of the government. His education was received principally at a private school, and at the Rochester, N. Y., Collegiate Institute. In politics he was a Whig until the organization of the Republican party, and has remained a Republican ever since. In business, a farmer. He still owns his farm, but has retired from its active management, and lives in Armada village. He has been sixteen times elected and appointed supervisor of his township. Was Senator from Macomb county in 1867-69-70, where he gained the reputation of a valuable committee worker. Was Deputy TJ. S. Collector for Macomb county four years, and was honorably discharged. Was nominated for judge of probate in 1880, but failed of an election. Has been a member of the Congregational Church since 1841. Was two years president of the Macomb County Agricultural Society, and six years president of the Armada Agricultural Society. For ten years has been a director and the vice president of the Macomb County Mutual Insurance Co., and has held various other positions of responsibility and trust. In point of ancestry his history is not without interest. His grandfather, Jonathan Andrews, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. His grandfather, on his mother's side, was Dr. Seth Lathrop, of West Springfield, Mass.. and his great grandfather, the Rev. Joseph Lathrop, D. D., of the same place, an eminent divine in his day.
Was born in Schuyler, Oneida county, N. Y. , June 1 , 1808, and removed from there to Cayuga county, N. Y., when young, where he lived until 1840, when he removed to Van Buren county, Michigan, first living at Paw Paw and later at Lawrence. He was a farmer and was also engaged in lumbering. In politics a Democrat. He was a Representative to the Michigan House in 1843, 1845 and 1849.
JOHN L. ANDREWS
Was born in Chili, Monroe county, N. Y., April 8, 1823. He resided in that and the adjoining town of Wheatland until 1836, when his father settled in Brighton, Michigan. In 1841 he went to Milford and learned the millet's trade, at which he worked until 1859. He then bought the Pettibone mills and ran them until 1872, when he sold out, and established the Milford Exchange Bank, which he sold in 1876 to the Wilhelm Brothers, and bought a farm of 410 acres adjoining the village of Milford, where he now resides. He married Delphia Bartlett in 1846. She died in 1854, and he married Laura E. Fuller in 1859. He has five sons. He was a director of the Wayne & Monroe R. R. Company from its organization until its sale to the F. & P. M. Company. He has been a member of the school board for thirty years and is still a member. He was Representative from the Third District of Oakland county in the legislature of 1871-2. He was a Whig but has been a Republican since the organization of that party.
Was born at Metz, Cayuga county, N. Y., June 28, 1812, and received his early education in the common schools, and at Cazenovia. He studied medicine and graduated with the highest honors from Fairfield Medical College in 1838, and settled at Paw Paw, Michigan. He was surgeon of the Third Michigan Cavalry until 1864, when he was made staff surgeon, and transferred to the army of the Potomac. In 1865 he returned home to a successful practice. He was a Representative in the legislature of 1846, and was a collector of internal revenue from 1869 to 1873. In politics he has been a Republican since the organization of that party.
WESLEY P. ANDRUS,
Senator from Kent county, in 1877, was born February 19, 1834, in the town of Potter, Yates county, N. Y. He followed farming until attaining his majority; was educated at Franklin Academy and Genesee College, N. Y. ; removed to Michigan in 1836, where, up to the time of the breaking out of the war, he was principally engaged in teaching school. In 1861 he entered the Forty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned first lieutenant about two months after; was promoted to captaincy for meritorious service at Stone River. At the battle of Missionary Ridge he was severely wounded, and was discharged on account of disability in May, 1864. At the close of the war he engaged in mercantile business in Michigan, and is now a hardware merchant at Cedar Springs, Kent county. He has been four years a member of its common council and a president of that village. In politics a Republican.
FERNANDO C. ANNABLE,
Representative from Van Buren county, in 1842, was born at Metz Cayuga county, New York, December 28, 1805. By occupation a farmer, in politics a Democrat. He came to Michigan in 1836, and settled on a farm in Almena, Van Buren county, where he resided until his death. October 2, 1886. He was supervisor and treasurer of the town a number of terms.
Was born in Dartmund, Prussia, December 13, 1823. His father was a royal counselor. The son was educated at the University of Berlin, and, taking part in the unsuccessful revolution of 1848, with others came to this country in 1849. He taught school in Pennsylvania; was one of the editorial staff of the Staats Zeitung in New York; then corresponding clerk in a New York house; in 1855 came to Detroit and was editorial manager of a German paper; then a clerk in the office of the Auditor General; was nominated and elected Auditor-General of Michigan in 1862, and served two terms, from 1863 to 1867; was admitted to the bar and practiced at Grand Rapids; for several rears was United States Receiver at the land office at Traverse City; then he resided at East Saginaw; but since 1874 he has lived at Bay City, and has been engaged in law, real estate and abstract business.
HENRY H. APLIN
Was born on a farm in the township of Thetford, Genesee county, Michigan, April 15, 1841. In 1848 his father moved to the city of Flint where they remained until 18"56, when the family again returned to the farm where he remained until the breaking out of the rebellion of 1861, when he enlisted as a private in Company C, 16th Michigan Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He was made a Second Lieutenant in 1865. Returning to Michigan at the close of the war he entered into the mercantile business at Wenona, now West Bay City, and has been identified with its growth and progress up to the present time. He immediately took an active and prominent part in local politics, and was appointed postmaster by President Grant in November, 1869, succeeding Newcomb Clark, which office he held until June, 1886. Always a staunch Republican as well as a strong advocate of the rights of labor, he has represented his town and county in local and state conventions for many years and his state in the National convention which nominated Blaine and Logan at Chicago in June, 1884.
Mr. Aplin was nominated for Auditor General by the Republican State convention at Grand Rapids, August 25, 1886, and was elected by over 17,334 plurality (including misspelled votes), running 11,000 votes ahead of his ticket in the state and 1,908 ahead in his own county.
WILLARD B. ARMS
Was born in Penfield, New York, February 12, 1827, the youngest of six children. He came to Michigan with his parents in 1834, who settled in Milford, Oakland county. He had limited school advantages, only attending to the age of twelve, but became a self-educated man by diligent study after working hours. Ho became apt in discussions and debate at an early age and often took part in them. In 1846 he engaged in business for himself at White Lake, Oakland county, where he remained until 1860, when he removed to Fenton, Genesee county. He was Senator from Oakland county in 1835-57-8. and from Genesee county in 1867. He devoted his energies entirely to his large mercantile business at Fenton for several years, and in 1872 removed to Marquette, Michigan. After residing there four years he removed to Chicago, where he lived until his death which occurred Nov. 8, 1878. He was a Republican in politics, and a consistent church member.
JOHN H. ARMSTRONG
Was born in Poughkeepsie, New York, August 30, 1815. Three years after, his parents removed to Bethel, and in 1821 to Prattsburg, N. Y.. where he lived until the death of his parents, receiving only a common school education. In 1831 he returned to Poughkeepsie, and learned the machinist and other trades. In 1837 he came to Michigan and located at Grass Lake. His principal business from that time until 1857 was putting in running works of flouring mills in southeastern Michigan. In 1857 he removed to Hillsdale, where he has since resided, and engaged in the hide and leather trade until 1883. Was trustee of the village of Hillsdale in 1862, and its president in 1863-4 and a part of 1863; chairman of Republican County Committee for two years, and for some years justice of the peace. He was Representative from the Second District of Hillsdale county in 1870. Has been director of Second National Bank of Hillsdale since 1865, and is also a director of the Hillsdale Savings Bank. At first a Whig, but a Republican since 1854; has often been delegate
to state and other conventions.
Representative from Newaygo county in 1873-4-5, was born March 3, 1821, in the town of Riga, Monroe county, New York. In 1826 he emigrated to Michigan and settled in Oakland county. In 1852 he removed to Ashland, Newaygo county, where he now resides. He has been supervisor of his town, and county treasurer several times. Mr. Armstrong's occupation is that of a farmer and lumberman.
Was born in Gun Plain, Allegan county, Michigan, November 17, 1838. He received a fair education and became a successful teacher. He entered the law department of the State University in 1859, and graduated in 1861. He became a law partner of E. B. Bassett at Allegan, from 1862 to 1865, and from that time until 1873 was a partner of J. W. Stone. He was circuit court commissioner from 1863 to 1865, and judge of probate from 1865 to 1873. In 1874 he was ap. pointed circuit judge to fill vacancy. In 1875 was elected to that position for six years, and was re-olected in 1881 and 1887. He is an able judge, and has several times received a large support from the southwestern part of the state for a place in the supreme court. In politics a Republican.
Was a farmer in the town of Addisoa, Oakland county. He was a Representative in the legislature of 1642, was supervisor in 1846, and later a justice of the peace.
Was an early settler in the town of Addison, Oakland county. He was supervisor from 1840 to 1844, and a school commissioner in 1837, at the first organization of the town. He was Representative in the legislature of 1845. By occupation, a farmer.
WILLIAM P. ARNOLD
Was born at Clarendon, Vt., August 23, 1806. He removed with his parents to western New York in 1818. where he lived until 1833, when he removed to Cold water, Michigan, and bought a large farm. He sold out in 1839 and purchased a farm in the township of Quincy, now the site of the village of Quincy. He was supervisor of the town for twenty years, held other official positions and was Representative in the legislature of 1853. Not living.
ALEXANDER M. ARZENO,
Representative from Monroe county in 1847, and State Senator in 1853, was an early settler in Monroe county. By occupation a stave and lumber dealer, politically a Democrat. He was supervisor, justice of the peace, and a leading citizen for many years. He was called " Black Hawk " from his complexion and characteristics as a leader.
Was born in Toronto, Canada, November 18, 1815. In 1826 the family removed to Huron county, Ohio, where his father followed farming. The son learned the trade of a blacksmith, which avocation he followed at intervals. In 1841 he commenced preaching as a Free Will Baptist minister. He removed to Mason township, Cass county, Michigan, in 1855, where he held a pastoral relation for more than twenty-five years. He preached at Summerville for twelve years and organized the church at Berrien Center and preached there nine years. He also did much missionary work and was never idle, working as a carpenter to supply his needs. Through his instrumentality the churches at Adamsville and Mason were built. He was a man of positive character had decided opinions, which he had the boldness to express on all suitable occasions. He was a Representative in the legislature of 1869-70 as a Republican. He died March 23, 1883.
HENRY C. ASHMUN.
Representative from Midland county in 1855, 1857-8, was born at Mackinaw and was by profession a lawyer and politically a Republican. He was a half blood Indian, and with the Indian type of eyes, hair and complexion. He was an excellent legislator, and in every sense of the word a gentleman. He died in 1858.
BENJAMIN D. ASHTON,
Representative from the Grand Traverse District in 1887, comprising the counties of Grand Traverse and Kalkaska, was born in Claremont county, Ohio, September 15, 1828. Mr. Ashton's early life was spent on a farm. He is a physician, and has been a resident of Michigan twenty-four years ; has held the office of supervisor and is now president of the village of Traverse City. He was elected Representative on the Republican ticket for 1887-3 by a vote of 1,897 to 948 for John
Wilhelm, and 246 for Cyrel H. Tyler, Prohibitionist.
Was secretary of the territory of Michigan, from 1808 to 1814 under Governor Hull, and during the same period was collector of the port of Detroit. Atwater street in Detroit was named in his honor. The census of the territory in 1810 was taken under his direction.
HENRY P. ATWOOD
Was born in the state of New York in 1825. By profession a lawyer, and has been prosecuting attorney of Tuscola county, and a supervisor. He was a representative from Tuscola county in 1855. He is now a resident of Grand Traverse county, and is engaged in farming. In politics a Republican.
MARCUS M. ATWOOD,
Representative from Ingham county in 1861-2, and 1871-2, came with his father's family from Cayuga county, New York, and settled in the town of Ingham, Ingham county, in 1836. He has practiced law in the township over 85 years and has resided in the village of Dansville since 1858. Has held the offices of supervisor, town clerk, justice of the peace, and from 1868 to 1879 was president of the village of Dansville. In politics a Democrat.
WILLIAM A. ATWOOD,
Senator from the Thirteenth District in 1887, comprising Genesee and Livingston counties, was born in the town of Newfane, Niagara county, New York, April 11, 1835.- He spent his early boyhood upon a farm and had the educational advantages of a common school, and one term at the Wilson Academy. At the age of seventeen he learned the jeweler's trade and three years after went to Gait, Canada, where he engaged in the stave, cooper and shingle business with his brother, Jesse B. Atwood. In 1859 he sold out his interest and returned to Niagara county and engaged in farming, and built a shingle mill which was burned in 1863. He again went to Canada and was in the lumber business. In 1866 he removed to Flint, with his brother, J. B- Atwood, and B. W. Simington, and with them built a large saw mill and began the lumber business on Flint river, and continued the same up to 1879. He continued with his brother in the lumber business in Clare county until 1883. In 1876 he associated himself with Orren Stone, in the woolen manufacturing business .in the Flint Woolen Mills, and still maintains his interest in that business. In 1883 he purchased an interest in the hardware business and is now a member of the firm of Wood & Atwood. For the past ten years he has been a director and vice president of the Genesee County Savings Bank. In 1 881 he was elected mayor of Flint. He has been a Republican since the formation of that party, and was elected to the Senate of 1887-8 by a vote of 7,334 to 5,436 for ex-Governor Josiah W. Begole, Fusionist, and 1,590 for F. B. Clark, Prohibitionist.
Senator from the Eighth District, Calhoun county, in 1883 and 1885, and Representative in 1881-2, was born in London, England, April 19, 1834. He received his education in one of the schools of the British and Foreign School Society. He emigrated to America in February , 1852, and resided in the state of New York until the spring of 1854 when he removed to Concord, Jackson county, Mich. There he made the acquaintance of Miss Lucy D. Taylor, whom he married January 1, 1855. In the fall of the same year he removed to Homer, and two years later to Bedford, Calhoun county. In 1872, he, as senior member, formed a co-partnership with Mr. Hoffmaster, and engaged in the dry goods business in Battle Creek, where he still resides. In 1875 he was elected an alderman of his ward ; was elected mayor in 1876 and re-elected in 1877. He is a Republican, and takes pride in having attended the meeting held under the oaks at Jackson, for the organization of the Republican party. He was for several years president of the Union Mutual Insurance Company.
Was born at Watertown, New York, February 29, 1824, and was the eldest son of John and Susan (Mitchell) Avery. His father served in the war of 1812. He came with his father's family to Michigan, received a common school and academical education, taught school winters, and worked on his father's farm until he was twenty -one. He graduated at the Medical College in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1849. and commenced practice at Owosso. In 1854 he removed to Ionia, and practiced two years ; thence to Otisco, where he remained until 1862. He then became assistant surgeon of the 21st Michigan Infantry ; was made surgeon in 1863 ; marched with Sherman to the sea, and was discharged in 1865. In 1867 he settled at Greenville, practiced eight years, and then went into the drug business. Has been supervisor and alderman and was Representative in the legislature of 1869-70. In politics a Republican.
Was born in what was then known as the " Long Point" country in Ontario, Canada. His parents were originally from New Jersey. His mother, Rachael Morgan, was a niece of General Morgan of the Revolution. His parents settled in Shelby, Macomb county, where he lived until 1833, when he settled on a farm in Oxford, Oakland county, and was the third settler in that township. He held nearly all town offices, and in 1839, 1840 and 1843 was Representative in the legislature ; and in 1851 State Senator. In politics a Democrat.
Was born at Windom, Ontario, Canada, March 28, 1813. He came with his parents to Michigan in 1822, who settled in Macomb county, about three miles east of the village of Rochester. As a young man, he was a teacher, and afterwards became a merchant at Avon. In 1842 he removed to Clarkston, where he was a successful merchant for twenty-five years. He was Representative in the Michigan House in 1850, and was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1850. He was a Democrat in politics, and eminently a leader. As a business man he contributed largely to the prosperity of Clarkston. He died September 16, 1886.
Representative from Lenawee county in 1839, was born in the state of New York, and before coming to Michigan was a contractor for building an aqueduct for the Erie canal over Tonawanda creek, and came to Michigan from Medina, N. Y. , as early as 1836, settling at Medina, Lenawee county, where he was engaged in milling and mercantile business. Later he was a resident of Coldwater, where he died some ten years since at about the age of 73. In politics a Democrat.
WILLIAM W. ANDRUS,
Senator from Macomb county in 1881-2, was born in Wyoming county, N. Y., July 24, 1821. He came with his father to Michigan in 1822, and has been a resident of Macomb county since that time. He is a druggist, in politics a Republican. Resides at Utica. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1867, and was assessor of internal revenue under Grant in the old 5th Congressional District.
Contributed by Barb Ziegenmeyer