Town of Eckerman

Chippewa County Michigan






The Eckerman Railroad Depot was also the post office. The picture shown above is in 1898 with Frank X. Bussette, his daughter and dog. Besides being postmaster, he was also the Railroad Station Agent. The post office was originally established and spelled Eckermann and was suppose to open on September 12, 1889 with Carlos D. Lincoln as its first postmaster, but he never was commissioned. So, the Eckermann Post Office was first established on April 1, 1891 with Frank X. Bussette as its first postmaster. He was postmaster until September 1, 1908. The spelling changed to Eckerman around 1900.
Photo and information Contributed by Paul Petosky
February 2009 - A note from Cris Bean, Great Grandaughter of Marie Eliza Brissette, daughter of the Eckerman Station Agent. Francis Xavier Brissette was born in Canada 1842. He died in 1914 Marquette City. Married Virginia Pelletier in 1865, Canada. They Had fourteen children, nine surviving childhood, all girls but one, Joseph. The photo was one of his daughters but they don't know which one it was.



The road between

Emerson and Eckerman in 1913



Contributed by Paul Petosky

Samuel McMullen in 1903 Between Eckerman & Emerson - Contributed by his grandson Paul Petosky

The Cadillac - Soo Lumber Company Train at Eckerman about 1940 - Photo from Paul Petosky



Brown's Cabins & Restaurant

Located in Eckerman (circa late 1950s),

Owned by Roy & Helen Brown.
Contributed by Paul Petosky



Eckerman, MI (Silver Creek Station) (1950s) (Located between Eckerman & Paradise)
Contributed by Paul Petosky



Eckerman, MI (Raney's Service) (1940s)
Contributed by Paul Petosky

Click on Logo to visit "Postmarks From The Past"


Back