Emerson
Whitefish Township
Chippewa Co MI



   Emerson Inn, Store and Post Office about 1890
      Photo contributed by Paul Petosky

The town of Emerson was founded in 1882 by Curt Emerson. He set up a saw mill and in 1884 sold his interest to the Chesbrough Lumber Co. The location was a natural for lumbering as it was at the mouth of the Tahquamenon River. Logs were floated down the river and could be held on the river until needed at the mill. In 1890 109 people lived there. The first postmaster was Fremont B. Chesbrough in 1884. The post office was closed in 1914 as the mill had closed in 1912. The town of Emerson was sold to the Charcoal Iron Company of Newbeny. Commercial fishing then became the economic basis for Emerson. There'was a school but once Paradise opened theirs in 1927 children went there to school. Although in 1939 there were 25 people still living in Emerson by the early 1940's the vilIage ceased to exist and all the buildings were sold and moved. Today only a sign remains to tell the story of Emerson.

POSTMASTERS WHO SERVED AT THE EMERSON, MI POST OFFICE

Contributed by Paul Petosky

The Emerson, MI Post Office (Whitefish Township) was established on April 15, 1884 with Fremont B. Chesbrough as its first and only postmaster to serve.

Fremont B. Chesbrough........April 15, 1884 to February 15, 1914 the last day of operation; with mail service to Eckerman.

Contributed by Paul Petosky



Emerson Postmark 11 May 1891 // Signature of Fremont B. Chesbrough, Postmaster
Contributed by Paul Petosky

Chesbrough Lumber Company around 1880 /// Men's Quarters & Boarding Houses




Snug Harbor


On The

Tahquamenon River




Contributed by Paul Petosky






Be sure and visit Paul Petoskys website Postmarks From The Past

Back