Town of


Sugar Island Township
Chippewa County Michigan
01 August 1935 - Contributed by Paul Petosky

The Homestead, MI Post Office, Chippewa County, Sugar Island Township was established on May 23, 1906 with Mrs. Gesina Schultz as its first postmaster. It discontinued operation on December 31, 1945; with mail service to Sault Sainte Marie, MI.

Homestead was named by Charles Schultz who was the first keeper-in-charge of the lighthouse and supply depot on the island. In the 1850s Captian Samuel Ward had a wood dock on Sugar Island.

List of postmasters that served at the Homestead, MI Post Office are as follows:

Mrs. Gesina Schultz May 23, 1906
Mrs. Martha O. Nelson August 7, 1912
Mrs. Effa F. Radcliff December 4, 1929
Mrs. Martha O. Nelson April 14, 1934 to December 31, 1945 (Last Day of Operation)

Be sure and visit Paul Petoskys website Postmarks From The Past