Lime Island

Chippewa County Michigan


Lime Township Post Office

This is the last day postmark at the Lime Island, MI Post Office dated November 15, 1939.
It was established on October 6, 1891 with Francis O. Davenport as its first postmaster.
It discontinued operation on November 15, 1939.
Postmasters that have served at the Lime Island Post Office are listed as follows:

Francis O. Davenport...........October 6, 1891 to September 30, 1892
Discontinued operation September 30, 1892; mail service to Detour.
Reestablished November 4, 1913

Alfred E. Newton...........November 4, 1913 to November 15, 1939
Discontinued operation November 15, 1939; mail service to Raber.

Early French maps called this island in the St. Mary's River Isle de Platre (Plaster Island).

The first settler was Joseph Kemp around 1848, and went into the lime business.


Postmark Discontinued Service Contributed by Paul Petosky

Apparently there used to be a Lime Island Township.
It must have been absorbed into Raber Township

Three and a half miles offshore from the Raber dock, closer to St. Joseph Island in Canada, is mile-long Lime Island,
for decades a fueling station for ships, now an inviting destination for boaters


Map of 1911 Lime Island (bottom right) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

Postmarks From The Past

Back