Paradise

Whitefish Twp., Chippewa Co MI




The town of Paradise owes its beginning to Edmund LeDuc. He bought the land after the timber was cut He platted the area. The origin of the name of the town is in some dispute but it is most appropriate. The first school was started in 1927 and today is a major anchor for the continuation of the community. Today Paradise is the only community left in Whitefish township. Its post office was started in 1947. It has a community center, a library, a fire and ambulance service and a garage for the county road maintenance plus three churches.

(Photo on the right taken in the 1940's contributed by Paul Petosky)

The economic base for Whitefish township is tourism. The four seasons bring with them an influx of people to the region to enjoy biIding, sports, and museums and the oldest lighthouse on Lake Superior - all truly in Paradise.

Paradise is on the northeastern portion of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, on the western side of Whitefish Bay, Lake Superior, about 60 miles by road from Sault Ste. Marie and about 55 miles north of the Mackinac Bridge.

Founded in 1925, Paradise is surrounded by state and national forests and its main business is tourism. It is considered one of two gateways to the Tahquamenon Falls area and Tahquamenon Falls State Park. (The other gateway is Newberry, about 40 miles to the southwest.) The area draws hunters, fishers, campers, backpackers, snowmobilers and birdwatchers. The region harvests blueberries and cranberries in season. Lake Superior shipping lanes are several miles off shore.

Whitefish Point with the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, beach, Whitefish Point Lighthouse and prime birding area, is 11 miles north. Whitefish Point is the spot where ships enter the open lake from Whitefish Bay. This is the nearest navigation mark to the wreckage of the ore freighter SS Edmund Fitzgerald, which sank in 1975.


U.S. Post Office, Paradise, MI (1960s).

Individuals standing in front of the post office were test drivers William McNaulty and Ed Kohler.

They stoped at Paradise, MI --- covered with several feet of snow --- to conduct a series of tests.

Contributed by Paul Petosky












Paradise Post Office 1960's - contributed by Paul Petosky

Paradise Michigan Post Office April 4, 2007
Photo by Ben Musielak - contributed by Paul Petosky



Kitto's Restrauant
Center of Town
Hwy M-123
Pardaise Michigan
Contributed by Paul Petosky


Paradise, Whitefish Point Twp. Gallery

Home