Sugar Island Post Office

THE SUGAR ISLAND POST OFFICE WAS ESTABLISHED ON JANUARY 13, 1857 WITH MICHAEL G. PAYMENT AS ITS FIRST POSTMASTER.

POSTMASTERS THAT SERVED AT THE SUGAR ISLAND POST OFFICE WERE:

MICHAEL G. PAYMENT.....JANUARY 13, 1857
PHILETUS S. CHURCH......JUNE 8, 1858

THE SUGAR ISLAND POST OFFICE DISCONTINUED OPERATION ON NOVEMBER 9, 1861.

From the Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig.
The British-American dispute over the ownership of Sugar Island lasted from 1783 to 1842 when the Webster-Ashburton Treaty placed it in American territory. As a British possession, it had been called St. George's Island. The Indians called it Sisibakwatominiss (Maple Sugar Island), with its abundance of maple sugar trees. Philetus S. Church was the township supervisor.

Contributed by Paul Petosky

Back Home