Drummond Island

Chippewa Co MI



Contributed by Paul Petosky


Drummond Island is historic, as it was long the British headquarters for Indian affairs and, as such, often figures in the general history of the work. There are still remains of the old British post. The island was named in honor of Sir Peter Drummond, British commander at Isle St. Joseph in 1800. It now constitutes one of the fourteen townships of Chippewa County.
From The Northern Peninsula of Michigan 1911 by Alvah L. Sawyer




Drummond, MI Post Office (1912-1915) (Currently a private residence)
Contributed by Paul Petosky

Originally established as the Drummond, MI Post Office (Drummond Township) on February 9, 1881 with Daniel M. Seaman as its first postmaster. Name changed to Drummond Island on June 30, 1953. (Contributed by Paul Petosky)

LIST OF POSTMASTERS WHO HAVE SERVED AT THIS POST OFFICE

Drummond

Daniel M. Seaman...........February 9, 1881
Hattie B. Morgan..............December 20, 1897
Jennie Dutcher.................January 26, 1906
Grace D. Anderson...........February 6, 1908
Phebe E. Johnstone..........August 9, 1910
Margaret J. Dick................October 25, 1912
Myrtle F. Bailey.................February 13, 1915
Floyd S. Seaman...............October 31, 1946

Name changed to Drummond Island on June 30, 1953

Mrs. Rosemond J. Mack.....February 11, 1971
Bernard Huyck....................August 27, 1992
Sheila I. Matthews..............June 12, 1993
Cynthia G. Schwab..............February 21, 2003
Dale Streichert.....................March 6, 2004
Julie A. Kurkierewicz.......May 9, 2008 to present

MARRIAGES SOLEMNIZED BY WILLIAM SMART,
MINISTER OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CONGREGATION,
BROCKVILLE, Elizabethtown, UPPER CANADA.
Residents of Drummond Twp.

1816 Oct. 13th Richard Ringer and Catherine Power, banns, witnesses Alexander Thom, William Pitt.

1817 April 20th.-James McMillan and Catherine Carry, witnesses Alexander Thom, William McMillan.

April 26th.-Williamn James, of Drummond, and Susan Richards, of Elizabethtown, license,
witnesses Thomas James, William Richards.

June 3rd.John Kemp, of Drummond, and Marion Ritchie, of Burgess, license,
witnesses Alex. Mathieson, John Ritchie.

DRUMMOND ISLAND
THE BRITISH OCCUPATION 1815-1828

A monograph by Samuel Fletcher Cook; published by R. Smith Printing Co., Lansing, Michigan, 1896; transcribed and edited by Dr. Roger Peters
(Offsite - Use your Back Button to return here)

The Migration Of Voyageurs
Drummond Island To Penetanguishene 1828.
By A. C. Osborne
(Offsite - Use your Back Button to return here)

Back