SAULT STE. MARIE

Chippewa County MI

Carnegie Library 1908 Left - 1940's on the Right - Contributed by Paul Petosky

Sault Ste. Marie, the oldest city in Michigan, received a $30,000 Carnegie grant in 1901. The Carnegie Public Library was opened in 1905. The stairway to the entrance of the limestone building is flanked by a pair of Italian stone lions donated in 1906 by local resident and future governor of Michigan Chase S. Osborn. Above the front door is inscribed CARNEGIE PUBLIC LIBRARY, MES OMNIA RECIT. Enlarged in 1940, the Carnegie building was replace in February 1975 when the new Bayliss Library was opened a few blocks away. Today, the Carnegie building is home to the offices of the Eastern Upper Peninsula Intermediate School District, and the Osborn lions still proudly guard the entrance.

Source: Eastern Upper Peninsula Intermediate School District; Sault Ste. Marie, Mi - Carnegie Library Buildings on Waymarking.com


1901 grant, opened 1905, replaced 1975 by the Bayliss Public Library.
Now serves as the Intermediate School District offices.