"Michigan Trails" Through "Chippewa County"


Camp Lucas Information

Saulte Ste. Marie July 26, 2005 - A pile of charred rubble is all that remains of a vacant storage building on the campus of Lake Superior State University following an early morning fire. The Tuesday morning blaze began around 4 am and totally consumed the structure which was originally part of the old Camp Lucas site near the Maintenance building on campus. No inguries were reported and firefighters cleared the scene around 9 am Tuesday morning. The burned out structure is pictures in the foreground, ironically, an old box car and tower structure used by teh University's fire science department is seen in teh background. Source: Teeple Enterprises. L.L.C. KRAM-TV http://kramtv.us/archives/050726.html

Camp Lucas was the 27th Group, Anti Aircraft Battery
Camp Lucas was the former Fort Brady

New Fort Brady
When Sault Ste. Marie expanded and its canal was widened, the riverfront site of Fort Brady was abandoned for a higher, more strategic site selected by General Philip Sheridan. Work begain in 1886, and the new fort was opened in 1893. From this hilltop, New Fort Brady guarded the copper and iron ore en route from the mineral regions of western Lake Superior through St. Mary's Ship Canal. Although never under attack, its troops were called up in 1894 during civil unrest, but primarily they protected the canal until the Second World War, when fifteen thousand soldier were stationed here. In 1944 the National Guard assumed these responsibilities and New Fort Brady was closed. "Camp Lucas", a small section of the fort, was reactivated briefly during the Korean Conflict.
Source: Lake Superior State University Library

Fort Brady
(1822 - 1866, 1892 - 1944), Sault Ste. Marie, U.P.
The original U.S. Army log stockade (1822 - 1825) is now gone, located at South Street and Ryan Ave. It was built on the site of the old French Fort de Repentigny. It was known as Post at Sault Ste. Marie (1822), Post at St. Mary's (1823 - 1824), and Cantonment Brady (1824 - 1825). It was renamed in 1825 and rebuilt. It was sold in 1866. Only a portion of the west wall exists as part of an exhibit along the Historic Locks Park Walkway. The fort was rebuilt closer to town in 1892 and remained active through World War II. This was the headquarters for anti-aircraft artillery and barrage balloon defenses for the Soo Locks. Lake Superior State College now occupies most of this site. Nearby Camp Lucas, formerly the Army hospital for Fort Brady in WWII, was an anti-aircraft artillery site protecting the Soo Locks from 1950 to 1960. It was finally abandoned in 1962.

The Fort Brady/Camp Lucas Target Range (1895 - 1945, 1951 - 1960) was located near Raco at the site of the Raco Army Airfield. It was sold in 1962.
Source: American Forts Michigan http://www.northamericanforts.com/East/mi.html#brady

Using Non-Intrusive Geophysical Techniques to Identify Potential Hazards at the Decommissioned Camp Lucas Military Facility in Sault Ste. Marie, MI Churchill, Kim M. and Paul R. Kelso. Lake Superior State University, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan Camp Lucas is a decommissioned military facility located in the northeastern part of Michiganís Upper Peninsula in the town of Sault Ste. Marie. There are concerns that defense department materials remain buried at the site. The primary objective of this geophysical investigation was to identify potential underground hazards at the site. This investigation utilized magnetic, electromagnetic, electrical resistivity and ground penetrating radar techniques in order to detect the presence of subsurface materials. The geophysical survey suggests that multiple bodies with varying characteristics are buried at the site. Models created for the magnetic anomalies were consistent with the susceptibility of ferrous materials and had dimensions of two meters or less. These sizes indicate that the most likely cause for the large anomalies is due to targets such as pits or trenches with various ferrous materials. The geophysical methods used provided coverage of the survey area in a short period of time and were non-intrusive. The results obtained from the different techniques were complimentary and indicate caution should be exercised when developing the area. Further investigation is necessary to determine if the buried materials are hazardous to the environment.
Source: Abstracts - AIPG 2007 Annual Meeting

From the Evening News, Sault Ste Marie, March 16, 1981.
Mrs. Kristine Flaa Sherman, 88, widow of former Sault Ste. Marie City Manager Henry A Sherman, died Saturday in Naples Florida where she had been living at 2521 Clipper Way. She was a graduate of Ishpeming High School and attended Marquette Normal School. While living in the Sault area she taught at Bai de Wasai on Sugar Island, Donaldson and Washington Schools in the Sault. She was a member of St. James Episcopal Church in the Sault and St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Naples, a World War I and II member of the American Legion Auxiliary and the Red Cross, a life member of the Chippewa County historical Society and a member of the Grey Ladies at Camp Lucas and War Memorial Hospital. She is survived by three sons, Henry S. of Naples, James L. of Woodstown, NJ and Peter R. of Lewiston, NY, a sister, Esther Fandrem, and a brother, James Flaa, both of Ishpeming: 11 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. Memorial services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday in Naples at St. Paul's Church with the Rev. Larry Smellie officiating.
Contributed by: Dan Sherman for US GenWeb Chippewa County Website

..,,,,,,,CAMP LUCAS, MICH. Effective 11 April 1966, Camp Lucas, Mich., a class I inactive installation under the jurisdiction of the Commanding General, Fifth U.S. Army, was discontinued