Munuscong

Memories

"Munuscong Inn & Post Office 1930's"



Located in Bruce Township, the Munuscong Post Office was originally established as MONUSCONG on March 20, 1884 with John C. Blanchard as its first postmaster. It discontinued operation on June 28, 1886 with mail service to Strongville. Name changed to THORICE on January 14, 1905. Discontinued operation on May 14, 1910; the post office was reestablished on November 19, 1913. Discontinued operation on June 15, 1917; and reestablished again on December 10, 1921. Name changed to MUNUSKONG on December 16, 1926. Spelling changed to MUNUSCONG on July 1, 1927. The post office finally discontinued operation on May 31, 1958 with mail service to Barbeau.

 
Munuscong, MI postmark dated June 1, 1954 - from the Collection of Paul Petosky
Signature of Clyde H. Conely, Postmaster, Munuscong, MI
(Served as postmaster from November 25, 1921 until he retired on May 31, 1958,
the same date the Munuscong, MI Post Office discontinued operation).

Postmasters that served at the Munuscong, MI Post Office are listed as follows:
MONUSCONG (March 20, 1884 to June 28, 1886)
John C. Blanchard March 20, 1884 to June 28, 1886
THORICE (January 14, 1905 to December 15, 1926)
Charles J. Thoenen January 14, 1905 to September 2, 1907
Frederick W. Roach September 3, 1907 to May 14, 1910
Charles J. Hallmann November 19, 1913 to January 21, 1916
Willis B. King January 22, 1916 to June 15, 1917
Clyde H. Conely November 25, 1921 to May 31, 1958
MUNUSKONG (December 16, 1926 to June 30, 1927)
MUNUSCONG (July 1, 1927 to May 31, 1958)
Clyde H. Conely served as postmaster during three post office name changes,
Thorice, Munuskong & Munscong. He was also the longest serving postmaster.

Last Day of use postmark dated December 15, 1926 at Thorice, MI Post Office.
Name changed to Munuscong on December 16, 1926. (Contributed by Paul Petosky)