The Soo Line
Sault Ste. Marie
Chippewa County
Michigan
Soo Line #702 - 1979
Contributed by Paul Petosky


The Soo Vista 1973
contributed by Paul Petosky

Some Train History

The first passenger train of the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic didn't leave Sault Ste. Marie until 1887 and connected to the Marquette-St. Ignace branch of the Detroit, Mackinac, and Marquette line that had been completed in 1881. A railway bridge across the St. Mary's river and Soo locks was completed in 1887. There was a railway barge "Betsy" towed by the steamer "Algomah", originally designed for passengers and freight, that operated across the Straits of Mackinac in 1881. The "St. Ignace" replaced the "Algomah" in 1888 and provided the first permanent rail link across the Straits.

The Trans St. Mary's Traction Company was formed in 1901 on the Michigan side but was forced into bankruptcy in 1903 by the International Transit Company operating a railway from the Ontario side. In 1883 there was a railway ferry of the Michigan Central between Windsor and Detroit and by then connecting railroads to the Straits of Mackinac. There was a stage coach connection from Sault Ste. Marie to the Soo Junction before completion of the railway, and there was a depot of the Michigan Central built at Cheboygan in 1881.
Contributed by Paul Petosky


The Soo Line probably in Canada


The Soo Line -- probably in Canada