Clinton County, Michigan
ALLEN, Morris S.
Morris S. Allen was born April 10, 1809, in Richfield, Otsego county, N. Y. In 1836 he came to Clinton county, Michigan, and remained until 1838, when he removed to Iowa; remained two years, then returned to New York, and back to De Witt, Michigan, in 1840. In 1844 he was elected sheriff of Clinton county, and in 1849 was a Representative in the legislature from Clinton county. In 1856 he removed to Sabula, Iowa, and was clerk for P. 8. Stiles in a grain and pork packing establishment. In 1867 he was elected sheriff of Jackson county, Iowa, and held the office six years. From 1875 to 1884 he was in business at Miles, Iowa. In politics a Democrat. He died Jan. 18, 1886, at Sabula, Iowa. [Source: Early History of Michigan with Biographies of State Officers, Members of Congress, Judges and Legislators; By Stephen D. Bingham Published by Thorp & Godfrey, state printers, 1888; Contributed by Barb Z.]
Superintendent of the St. John's Manufacturing Company, was born in Marcellus, Onondaga County, N. Y., March 24, 1851. His father, Orlando, and his grandfather, Dr. Bildad, were both natives of Connecticut, and the latter was educated as a physician. He was an early settler of Onondaga County, where he was prominent as a physician and citizen. He was Surgeon in the War of 1812 under Gen. Scott. The family comes of English descent. The father was reared in Connecticut and New York, and was engaged in farming and hotel keeping at Austin Hollow in Onondaga County. He now resides in Marcellus. Politically he is a Republican, and he is an official member of the Episcopal Church. The mother of our subject was in her maidenhood know as Catherine Curtis, and was born in Connecticut. Grandfather Gad Curtis was born in the same State but became an early settler of Marcellus, N. Y. His father Nathaniel was in the Revolutionary War. Our subject, who was one among three children, spent his youth in Marcellus, and was educated in the Union schools. When sixteen years old he entered the employ of a firm who were selling sewing machines, and was thus engaged for about six years. In 1872 he went to Kansas City, Mo., where lie was employed in a chair factory. From early boyhood he was skilled in the use of tools, and was a natural mechanic.
Returning to his native place our subject was for some time engaged as a traveling salesman. In 1880 he came to Detroit and became foreman in a furniture manufacturing establishment, while with them he patented a knock down dining table. Later he became foreman for the Union Chair Works, and during the year or more he was with them he improved on his table. In 1885 he came to St. John's with his patent and became Superintendent of the Manufacturing Company, which has since undergone a material change. In the large buildings some two hundred and sixty men arc employed, and daring the ten hours which they work each day turn out three hundred and twenty-five tables, upon which Mr. Beach receives a royalty. It makes a specialty of manufacturing dining tables and is the most extensive establishment of the kind in the United States or even in the world. Owing to the untiring energy of Mr. Beach the business has become a great success. Mr. Beach was married in Marcellus, N. Y., in 1879, to Miss Hannah Hardacre, who was born and reared in Weston-super-Mare, England. The family circle is completed by the presence of four children: Louis, Carl, Mamie and Olive. Mr. Beach is a member of the Ancient Order United Workman, and a Republican in his political affiliations. His wife belongs to the Episcopal Church, and both are highly esteemed in the best social circles. [Portrait Biographical Clinton & Shiawassee 1891]
BOND, Fred M.
Lawyer; born, St. John's, Mich., (Clinton Co) Jan. 18, 1878; son of John S. and Marie M. (Otrey) Bond; educated in district school; public and high schools of Farmington, Mich.; Law Department, University of Michigan, degree of LL. B., 1901; married at Farmington, Sept. 15, 1903, (Oakland Co) Anna E. Wolfe. Has engaged in practice of law since June, 1901. Circuit court commissioner Oakland Co., Mich., 1904-06; secretary The Hoffman Home Realty Co., since June 1, 1907. Member Detroit Bar Association. Republican. Methodist. Member Masonic order. Recreation: Outdoor sports, Office: 724-725 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: Gd. River Av., 1st house outside city limits, Detroit. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
E. V. Chase, of Elsie, Clinton Co., Mich., was born in the township of Gustavus, Trumbull Co., Ohio, Sept. 16, 1833. His parents were poor, and had a hard struggle to support their family. His father was a millwright, and would have educated the son to the same trade, but for an accident which nearly crippled him for life. This determined the father to put his son at school that he might lay the foundation for a profession. Mr. Chase taught school as soon as he was competent, and thus assisted himself until he had acquired not only an academical but also a professional education. He read medicine three years with Dr. G. W. Willey, of Spencer, Ohio; attended lectures in Michigan University; and in the spring of 1857 settled in the small village of Ovid, Clinton Co., on the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad. He married, in the fall of 1857, Miss Emily Wilkinson, an estimable young lady, to whom his success may, in a measure, be attributed. In the spring of 1860 he removed to the village of Elsie, where he resided until the commencement of the civil war. He enlisted as a private in the First Michigan Cavalry, was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant, and at the close of the war went with the regiment across the Plains to Salt Lake City, Utah. In the spring of 1866 he was mustered out of the service, and returned to Elsie, where he has since resided, in the active discharge of his professional duties. He has been six years supervisor of the township in which his village is located. In the fall of 1876 he was elected representative to the State Legislature, by the Republican party, from the first district,— Clinton County. So well did he serve his constituents that he was re-elected in 1879. He served upon several committees, among them that on insane asylums, in which he held the office of chairman. His duties necessarily called him away much of the time from the representative halls, but when present he was arduously engaged in duties which rank him among the foremost, always striking at the heart of any measure to which he was opposed sharp and effectual blows, that produce more effect than the bold speculations and fantastical theories which, to a certain extent, characterize many of the representatives. [History of Shiawassee and Clinton counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers. D.W. Ensign - 1880]
DOYLE, Michael S.
The gentleman of whom we write has been identified with the most vital interests of the village of Elsie, Clinton County, from its early beginnings. He has taken a lively interost in its future and was active in securing the right of way for the railroad which is so efficient a factor in its prosperity. His manufacturing interests, which he located in that village, have also been potent in establishing the industries which are necessary to the healthy growth of a young town. He was born in New Brunswick, Parish of Chipman, Queen's County February 18, 1842. His parents. Michael and Sarah (Tuffts) Doyle, were both natives of Nova Scotia, and bis father is by occupation a minister of the Gospel, who is still living in Saginaw County and has reached the ripe old age ot ninety-two years, having devoted fifty years of his life to the ministry of the Baptist Church. The subject of this sketch resided at home until he reached his majority. His educational advantages were limited, as he had only the common subscription schools of those days to attend. He left New Brunswick when he was seventeen years old and located in Oxford County, Canada, where he remained for about twelve years. After he became of age he engaged in handling staves and also carried on agriculture. Having established himself well in business, Mr. Doyle looked about him for a companion with whom to share the joys and sorrows of life, and soon won the hand of Sarah Withrow, of Oxford County. Canada, the daughter of John Withrow, a farmer in that county. They were happily wedded on January 25, 1808, and became the parents of two bright and promising children. Maud L. was bom July 16, 1869, in Oxford County, Canada; Boyd W.,was born in Elsie, December 2, 1884. Both children are at home, and his daughter is by occupation a teacher. She has pursued the profession for four years and is now a successful teacher in the high school at St. John's, Mich. [Source: Portrait Biographical Clinton & Shiawassee 1891]
Josiah Doty's birth dates back to Nov. 18, 1792. He was twice married. One child was born to the first union. The second wife, Chloe (Rash), born March 24, 1793, bore him four children, three living to manhood. George R., the subject of this sketch, was born Dec. 30, 1821, at Seneca, Ontario Co., N. Y. When he was eight years of age the family removed to Greece, Monroe Co., N. Y., where the parents continued to reside until the death of Mrs. Doty, which occurred Sept. 19, 1876. The home was then broken up, Mr. Doty thereafter making his home with a son residing in Rochester, where he is yet living at the advanced age of eighty-eight. In the fall of 1844, George R. came to Livingston Co., Mich., and the following year, May 20, 1845, married Eunice Seeley, born Dec 14, 1822. Her father, Seth C. Seeley, was a native of Connecticut, born Feb. 22, 1789, and was twice married, first to Anna Bradley, by whom he had three children; and the second time to Betsey Green, a native of Vermont, born Fob. 18, 1798; to this union were born five children. The family resided in Monroe Co., N. Y., until 1844, when they removed to Ionia Co., Mich. Both parents have since passed away. George and Eunice were married at her parental home, Ionia County. The day following they took their departure for Livingston County with a single horse and buggy, it sufficing to carry them and their worldly effects. No permanent location was made by them, but they changed their location as his occupation of cooper -required. In 1853 he received the appointment of light-house keeper at Mama Judee, on Detroit River; this proved the laying of a foundation for future success. For eight years he continued, his wife assuming the duties of keeper, he finding employment at the cooper's trade. In 1861, Mr. Doty moved to Elsie, Clinton Co., and for six years followed his trade. Previous to his coming he had purchased a hundred acres on section 26, Duplain township. The village of Elsie was becoming a place of some importance, and Mr. Doty decided upon opening a hotel, and accordingly purchased a suitable location, disposed of his farm, and on Christmas, 1867, his house was duly opened to the public. Success attended him; the public gave him a liberal patronage, and the genial host and his lady are known far and near. In 1877 he purchased seventy-seven acres on section 13, upon which a part of the village of Elsie is located. In addition to the hotel he also conducts the farm. To Mr. and Mrs. Doty have been given three children, of whom one only is now living, Charlie, born Dec. 22, 1863. [History of Shiawassee and Clinton counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers. D.W. Ensign - 1880]
FRENCH, David S.
David S. French, Secretary of the St. John's Manufacturing company has as prominent plase in business circles as any city in the city. He has had considerable to do with civic affairs here and is influential in social orders that are among the most prominent in the country. In business affairs he is one of the chief officers as well as shareholder and Director in the largest enterprise of its kind in the United States, and has the influence which accrues from the firm foundation on which the Manufacturing Company stands. Add to this the respect due him as a Union soldier, and it is plain to be seen why he is a conspicuous member of society and a popular citizen.
Tracing the paternal line of descent we find that the Frenches came from Wales to this country several generations ago. The grandfather of our subject was Asa French, a native of Berks County, Pa., and an early settler in Miami County, Ohio, where he carried on farming, he was a soldier in the War of 1812. The next in the direct line was Lewis French, who was born and reared in Miami County and was graduated from the department of law in Dennison University. He practiced his profession in Cincinnati during the greater part of his life, and his death occurred in St. Johns while on visit, to his son David in September, 1885, when he was seventy-two years old. He was a member of the Episcopal Church. His wife bore the maiden name of Maria Sargent, was born in Cincinnati, and also died there. Her father, David Sargent, a native of Preston County, West Va., was one of the old settlers in Cincinnati and was a prominent manufacturer of lumber. To Mr. and Mrs. Lewis French three children wore born, but David S. is the only one who grew to manhood.
The birthplace of David S. French was Lawrenceburg, IN and his natal day April 4, 1844. He was reared in Cincinnati from the age of six months and pursued his studies in the city schools, being in the last year of the high school work when he laid down his books to enter the army. "The shot heard round the world" had scarcely ceased to echo, and the enlistment of the defenders of the Union had just begun when young French, then a lad of seventeen years, became a member of Company A, Second Ohio Infantry. He entered the service in April under the three months' call and was mustered out during the summer, having in the meantime taken part in the disastrous battle of Bull Run. In the spring of 1862 he re-enlisted and was mustered in at Piqua as a private in Company A. One Hundred Tenth Ohio Infantry. With this regiment he took part in thirty-two battles, and displayed an equal patriotism and dovotion to his country in the experiences of camp and campaign. He was mustered out July 1, 1865, at Columbus, Ohio, having the rank of First Lieutenant. For three years following the war Mr. French was engaged in the sale of merchandise at Brookston, lnd., and he then found employment in a manufacturing company in Piqua, Ohio. This company, which was engaged in the manufacture of lumber was in business in Piqua until January, 1871, when its headquarters was removed to St. John's. Mr. French came hither as Secretary of what has since been known as the St. John's Manufacturing Company and has held that position continuously. To his ability in looking aftei that part of the work which comes within his province and his accurate records of the transactions of the corporation, much of its prosperity is undoubtedly due. Mr. French has a pleasant home, made attractive by the housewifely skill, intelligence and amiability of the lady who became his wife May 24, 1866. Her maiden name was Cornelia M. Mitchell and she is a daughter of Joseph Mitchell, a farmer living in Piqua. Ohio, in which city her marriage took place. Mr. French has at different times been Village Trustee and he has also been President four terms, lie is a Knight Templar, belonging to a Commandery in St. John's, and is identified with a Consistory in Detroit, The high degree which he has taken, has made his name conspicuous in Masonic circles and he is equally prominent among Grand Army men. He has at various times been Commander of Charles E. Grisson Post and takes an active part in the movements with which his comrades are identified, whether commemorative or calculated to promote future welfare. Politically he is an enthusiastic Republican. [Source: Portrait Biographical Clinton & Shiawassee 1891]
The finest photograph gallery in Clinton County is Hamilton's Studio at St. John's. The reputation of the work turned out from this gallery is equal if not superior to that of any other town in Central Michigan, not even excepting the Capital. Mr. Hamilton has perfect appointments, and uses a new paper, manufactured by himself, which he calls the Aristo. By its use he secures clearer and more lasting impressions and the finish does not fade as did that of the old time photographs. Mr. Hamilton carries a line of frames suitable for such pictures as he turns out, having every facility for making the huge portraits which are so popular. Mr. Hamilton belongs to that honorable class known as the Scotch-Irish, his ancestors having gone from Scotland to Ireland and made that their home during two or three generations. His father, John Hamilton, was born in the Emerald Isle and accompanied his parents to America when six years old. They made their home at Ogdensburg, N. Y., and the grandfather of our subject died the next year. The family removed to Canada and John, though only a little boy, began to do for himself. He worked on a farm, later became a clerk and finally engaged in the sale of general merchandise at Markdale. He was successful as a merchant; and became the owner of several farms. He was living a retired life when he died, May 21, 1890, and was then sixty-nine years and ten months old. He was a member of the Conservative party and was an active and earnest communicant of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The wife of John Hamilton and mother of our subject was Phebe Walker, a native of Canada who is still living in Markdale. She too is of Irish parentage.
The natal day of James Hamilton was August 14, 1857 and his birthplace Markdale in the province of Ontario. He attended the common schools and did not begin the art of photography until 1880, when he learned the process. Soon afterward he bought a gallery which he carried on for three years, then changed his location to Colling wood, where he remained ayear. He then sold out, and in January, 1887, came to this State and established himself in business in Albion. After sojourning there eighteen months he went to Springfield, Mo., and operated as a member of the firm of Hamilton & Bushman. The business connection was dissolved in 1889 and coming to St. Johns our subject bought the two galleries that were then in operation here, he carried on both until the fall of 1890, then sold one and gave his attention entirely to the work done in what has become so well-known as Hamilton's Studio. Mr. Hamilton has a pleasant home which is made cosy and attractive by the efforts of his wife, formerly Miss Isabella Kenny. She was born near Collingwood, Canada, and married there, September 13, 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton are the happy parents of a little son, John J. The political allegiance of Mr. Hamilton is given to the principles of Democracy, but he takes no further interest in party matters than to read of what is going on and cast his ballot at the proper time. He is a pleasant and well informed gentleman. [Portrait and Biographical - Clinton and Shiawassee County, 1901]
Many elegant homes and beautiful farms are to be found in Clinton County, and few among them attract greater admiration than that of Mr. Heck. The residence is a fine large frame house, whose interior arrangements show the refinement of tbe lady who presides therein with grace and hospitality. Mr. Heck and his estimable wife are highly esteemed throughout the community, and their many friends rejoice with them in their present prosperity. He was born September 23, 1830, in Seneca County, N. Y., and is the son of George Heck, a farmer and a successful business man. The mother, Margaret Heck, died in 1878 at the age of three-score and ten years. She was a woman of strong religious convictions and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church many years, as was also her husband. Our subject, the eldest among the children, was reared to farming pursuits, and received a fair education in the common and High Schools of the vicinity. He engaged as a teacher successfully for six terms, but in 1854 became a clerk in a grocery store in Penn Yan, Yates County, N. Y., whore he remained three years. He then came to Michigan in 1857, and located north of St. John's, Clinton County, where he purchased eighty acres of timber land, whose only improvement consisted of a 12x 14 shanty. He cleared about thirty acres and made it his home some time, but after about seven years purchased his present farm on section 10, Essex Township, where he has since lived. His first purchase here consisted of one hundred and forty acres to which he has added until he now owns two hundred and forty acres of fine land.
Mr. Heck was married September 6, 1859. His wife was born in DeWitt Township, this county. Their son Seldon M., who was born January 2, 1861, is a prosperous farmer in DeWitt Township; George born March 18, 1864, is a graduate in the law department of Valparaiso (Ind.) College, and is preparing to enter upon the practice of law. He is an exceedingly bright young man and his future is assured. Mr. Heck is a Republican politically, and has been Justice of the Peace fouryears, also served as Commissioner of the Highways, etc. Mrs. Heck is a member of the Congregational Church, and is a woman of many endearing qualities. She owns two hundred and sixty acres in one farm in DeWitt Township, and four hundred and thirty in Essex Township, which was inherited from the estate of her father, a very prominent and influential citizen. Mr. Heck has always taken a delight in horses, being especially interested in the Percherons, Hambletonians and Morgans. "He raises a good breed of stock, and this in connection with general farming occupies his time. His success in life has been remarkable for he came here without means, and has acquired a competency by continued efforts. His residence which was erected in 1874, is the resort of many friends and is one of the coziest of the homes of Essex Township. [Portrait and Biographical - Clinton and Shiawassee County 1901]
Willis Leach was born May 23, 1831, in Summit Co., Ohio, where his parents had located in an early day in the settlement of that county. When twenty-three years of age he married Miss Mary Ranney, with whom he lived six years, when death's summons came to her, leaving a family of four children,—Willie E., Luther J., Burritt E., and Mary J. Again, on July 16, 1861, he married Sophia Ranney, a sister of his first wife. By his second wife he had eight children,—Cora A., Melvin C, Sallie P., Floyd, Leon B., Morris K-, Lucetta L., Nora W. In January, 1865, he moved to Duplain, Clinton Co., and, in company with D. F. Sheldon, O. A. Clark, and C. Ranney, purchased two hundred acres of timbered land and erected a steam saw-mill, which was successfully operated for three years. In 1868, Sheldon, Ranney, and Leach purchased several hundred acres of wild lands in the south part of Saginaw and Gratiot Counties, to which they removed their mill. The following year, 1869, Leach and Ranney purchased the interest of Sheldon. From the date of Leach and Ranney's purchase to January, 1872, the mill property and lumber was three times destroyed by fire, and still they prosecuted the work with a will and energy worthy of success. Mr. Leach's health being somewhat impaired, he determined upon removing to the first purchase to recuperate, and for the better advantages of schooling his children. He continued in failing health until March 2, 1880, when death's summons came, regretted by all with whom he had been associated. [History of Shiawassee and Clinton counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers. D.W. Ensign - 1880]
Born Grass Lake, Mich., (Jackson Co) Jan. 12, 1853; son of Peter Althouse and Selina (Osborn) Keeler; educated in public schools and at University of Michigan, graduating, B.A., 1872, M.A. (in chemistry), 1874; married at St. John’s, Mich., (Clinton Co) Mar. 28, 1882, Sara A. Barker. Studied law in office of D. Bethune Duffield, and was admitted to practice before Supreme Court, 1879; engaged in practice for ten years in association with firm of Maybury & Conely; retired from law practice to engage in commercial pursuits; secretary and treasurer American Injector Co. since its incorporation, October, 1886. Mason. Club: Automobile. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 14th Av., bet. Baker and Porter. Residence: 129 Seldon Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
The grandparent of Comfort Ranney was a native of Connecticut; emigrated to Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, and purchased eighty acres of land at government prices, of which the public park in the city of Cleveland is now a part. He engaged in ship-building, putting afloat the first boats of considerable tonnage built at that place. A few years later he sold his land at a slight advance upon the price he paid, closed out his business, and removed to Summit County Ohio, where he passed the remainder of his life, his death occurring in 1834. Luther B., a son, was born at Hudson, Summit Co., Ohio, Nov. 29,1809. Farming seems to have particular fascination for him,—almost inherent,—as he has continued at that occupation, and now at the advanced age of seventy-one manages a large farm, leading in many of the arduous physical duties required in that calling. Comfort, the subject of this sketch, was born in Boston, Summit Co., Ohio, on Feb. 7, 1838. He, in company with Leach, Sheldon, and Clark, came to Clinton County and purchased a large tract of land, erected a steam-mill, and engaged quite extensively in the manufacturing of lumber. Also Ranney, Leach, and Berry in 1879 erected a large custom flouring-mill at Bath, which they are still operating. Since 1874 Mr. Ranney has had the management of the lumber and mill interests. But on the death of his brother-in-law (Mr. Leach) he leased the mills and returned to their farm in Clinton County, and intends to devote his time to the improvement of his farm and rearing of fine stock, in which he has always taken great pride. Dec. 18, 1868, Mr. Ranney united in marriage with Miss Mary M. Hesser, of Nevada, Wyandot Co., Ohio. They are the parents of four children,—Luther B., Sadie M., Luella, and James. [History of Shiawassee and Clinton counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers. D.W. Ensign - 1880]
The present Postmaster of Fowler, Clinton County, is the son of S. Rice, a native of Connecticut who in his early years was a sailor for six years, and afterward followed his trade as a stone-mason. In 1840 he decided to leave New England and come West, and removed to Medina County, Ohio, where he died two years later. His wife, Betsey Clark by name, bore to him three sons and two daughters and the son Riley was horn in Connecticut in 1832, thus being eight years old when the family removed to Ohio. At the age of twenty this young man entered into a matrimonial alliance with Lydia A. Sears and to them were born two daughters, Mary and Effie. It was in 1855 that our subject came to Michigan and settled upon a farm and there made his home for thirty years, after which he came to Fowler where he now resides. In 1864 he felt the call of duty to enlist under the banner of his country, and on September 6, he entered the United States service, in the Twenty-third Michigan Infantry, serving until June 28, 1865, when he received his honorable discharge. He took part in the battle of Nashville and in the conflict at Franklin, and he cherished the associations of war times, with great warmth and is an active member of the R. G. Hutchinson Post, No. 129, G. A. R., and is now serving as its commander. He is a Republican in his political couvictions and vote. After the death of Mrs. Lydia Rice our subject was a second time married to Mrs. Elizabeth (Demuth) Turk, widow of Mr. John Turk, an Ohio man. Her father, Landy Demuth, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and removed from that region to Lucas County, where he now resides. Here he became a prominent citizen and a leader in the Democratic ranks. His wife was Harriet Rakestraw and of her eleven children Mrs. Rice was the first-born. The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Rice was Frederick Demuth, a native of Pennsylvania. The first marriage of Mrs. Rice took place March 13,1864, and by that union she became the mother of three children: Eva, Arthur and Clarence Turk. Mr. Turk died January 14, 1876. This lady is possessed of more than ordinary talent and education and began to teach at the early age of sixteen and followed that profession for a number of years. She is now Deputy Postmistress at Fowler. She is an efficient member of the Women's Relief Corps of Fowler and bna been its President and also at one time served as Secretary. Mrs. Rice was a National Delegate to St. Louis in 1887, being one of the thirteen to represent the State of Michigan. She has also been Assistant Inspector for the State. Her literary ability and culture place her in the front rank and her pen-work as correspondent for the Clinton Independent at St. John's, is highly prized. [Source: Portrait & Biographical Clinton and Shiawassee counties, Mich 1891]
The life of this gentleman affords a striking example of hard work and perservance crowned with success. He has battled earnestly against circumstances and has become the owner of valuable property, has a flourishing trade in agricultural implements and vehicles and is the proprietor of a general blacksmithing shop where first-class work is always done. He has real estate in Grand Rapids and Saranac besides that which he occupies in St. John's. He started in the labors of life without any aid in the way of money and all that he received from the parental estate was $1,000. He has been living in Michigan since 1850 and is well posted regarding the advances that have been made in this great commonwealth. He was born in Seneca County, Ohio, June 20, 1839, and was a lad of eleven years when the removal was made to this State. The family traveled from Sandusky to Detroit on a boat, by cars to New Buffalo and thence to Waukegan. Not liking that section the father returned to this State and from Battle Creek went to Grand Rapids with a team, and thence cut his way through the timber, following a route marked by blazed trees into Ionia County. The new home was made in Otisco Township and our subject was at once set to work girdling trees and clearing land. The Schindorf farm consisted of two hundred and sixty acres, most of which was placed under cultivation through the efforts of our subject and his brother. Their school privileges were necessarily limited and their recreations were such as are common in sparsely settled communities. Jacob hunted a good deal and during one fall killed thirteen deer. Those animals were so numerous during the smoky time that he drove ironwood sticks slantingly into the ground and thus killed five of them. He sometimes had fights with the wounded animals and on one occasion his life was saved by the intervention of a log over which his antagonist could not pass. When of age young Schindorf was apprenticed to a blacksmith in Saranac and spent four years In service, then in company with his former master formed the firm of Scheidt & Schindorf, which lasted ten years. After the dissolution of the firm Mr. Schindorf opened a shop and began the manufacture of wagons and oilier commodities. In 1883 he came to St. John's, bought and improved a shop and began to work at his trade here. He is now dealing in all kinds of vehicles and still manufactures the Schindorf wagon which he has been placing on the market for more than a quarter of a century. He also manufactures carts and in former years made buggies. The father and grandfather of Mr. Schindorf bore the same name, Peter, and were natives of Bavarian Germany. The younger Peter Schindorf came to America in 1831 and located in Seneca County, Ohio. For two years he worked at $6 per month, then bought forty acres of land which he improved and occupied until he came to Michigan.
When he located in Ionia County he bought one hundred and sixty acres, then forty, then sixty, and with the aid of his sons placed the whole under improvement. He had a large family, comprising ten sons and daughters, and Jacob was the second in order of birth. The mother was Elizabeth (Krupp) Schindorf, and born in Bavaria, Germany. Her father, Charles Krupp, was a blacksmith who emigrated to this country the same year as Mr. Schindorf and located in the same county in Ohio. From that time until his decease he was engaged in farming. At Sherman, Huron County, Ohio, April 19, 1868, Jacob Schindorf was married to Teresa Meisig, who was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, but had lived in the Buckeye State from the time she was four years old. Mr. and Mrs. Schindorf have three children living, viz.: Joseph J., Lucy M. and Martha T. The son is engaged in business with his father, the firm being J. Schindorf & Son. He is married but the daughters are still inmates of their parents' dwelling. Mr. Schindorf is a Catholic and gave his aid in the improvement of the church property and was a Trustee until he resigned. He casts a Democratic ballot and has been a delegate to county and State conventions, visiting Detroit and Grand Rapids when State Delegate. The son is a member of the fire department, and both have a good name in business circles, and in the society which they frequent the entire family is looked upon with respect and friendly feeling. [Portrait Biographical Clinton & Shiawassee 1891]
SHAW, William R.
William R. Shaw is one of the enterprising and painstaking business men of Ovid, Clinton County, engaged in dealing in all kinds of produce and grain. He was for some time manager of the elevator which was owned by the Holly Milling Company, but in 1890 purchased the entire interest and has been carrying on the business for his own emolument. Mr. Shaw has shown good business ability so far in life, and being a young man who is well informed and quick to apprehend the turns in the tide, his career is likely to continue a prosperous one, and bis business become one of the important enterprises of this county.
Mr. Shaw was born in Livonia, Wayne County, August 11, 1859, and passed his early life on a farm, as his father was engaged in agricultural pursuits. John Shaw, the parent, was born in Nottingham, Knjjand, but has lived in America many years and become thoroughly in sympathy with American institutions and ideas. The mother of our subject is a native of this State and bore the maiden name of Mary A. Marten. The son looked forward to taking a collegiate course and pursued his preparatory work in the Ann Arbor High School, but on account of poor health was obliged to change his plans. When nineteen years old he began to teach and for a year gave his attention to professional work in Wayne County. Finding that he was likely to enter upon a business life rather than that of a student, he then went to Detroit and became cashier in the wholesale store of Hammond, Standish & Co. For eight years he was thus engaged, then came to Ovid and began the management of the elevator, from which employment has grown his present occupation. On February 13, 1884. Mr. Shaw was married to Miss Ella S. Partridge, an educated, refined lady, daughter of George W. Partridge, of Detroit. The children who have come to bless the union are John C born August 24, 1885; Carrie L., August 15, 1888; and Robert D., June 30, 1800. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw are agreeable and friendly,and with their general intelligence and good manners are becoming popular in the society which they frequent. Mr. Shaw is a Republican, but has never held office. Instead he pursues the even tenor of his way, attending thoroughly to business matters and enjoying domestic and social life as befits one of his quiet tastes. [Source: Portrait Biographical Clinton & Shiawassee, 1891]
SHEPARD, Benjamin Mosher
Samuel and Eunice Duke Shepard were the parents of two children, William and B. M. the latter of whom was born in Saratoga County, Nov. 24, 1816. When six years old the family removed to Yates Co., N. Y., and at the early age of nine years he met with an irreparable loss in the death of his mother. He pursued his studies until twenty years of age, and at the age of twenty-two was married to Miss Matilda Stilwell, of Erie Co., Pa. Eight children were born to them. Mr. Shepard removed to Ohio and remained ten years, after which he repaired to Pennsylvania. In 1861, at the solicitation of his brother, he came to Ovid Centre and began the improvement of a farm of sixty acres, for which lie hail previously effected an exchange. He later engaged in the purchase and shipment of live stock, his neighbors trusting him for the first investment made in the enterprise. He was also a large speculator in grain, and as the result of his various ventures became the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of land, which he later disposed of and retired from active business pursuits. In politics Mr. Shepard is a Democrat, though liberal in his opinions. Having been afflicted in 1874 by the loss of his wife, he in 1878 was married to Mrs. Elizabeth Gates, daughter of William and Rachel Green, who is of English extraction, and came to Clinton County in 1846. Mr. Shepard is still a resident of Shepardville, and his children all reside in Michigan. During this time Mr. Shepard has resided on his farm, which he has successfully managed. [History of Shiawassee and Clinton Counties, Michigan, 1880]
SPAULDING, John Cecil
Lawyer; born, St. Johns, Mich.., (Clinton Co) Jan. 7, 1879; son of Oliver Lyman and Mary Cecilia (Swegles) Spaulding; educated, Central High School, Washington, D.C., 1890-94, graduating, 1893 and 1894; University of Michigan, 1894-98, degree of A.B., 1897; Columbian University (now George Washington University), Washington, D.C., 1898-1900, LL.B., 1899, LL.M., 1900; unmarried. Began active career as clerk in office of anditor for War Department, Washington, D.C., Dec. 23, 1898; detailed to office of comptroller of the treasury, Jan. 11, 1901; resigned Feb. 8, 1903; entered law office of Bowen, Douglas, Whiting & Murfin, Detroit, Jan. 5, 1903; has been in practice for self since Mar. 1, 1904. member Michigan State naval Brigade, 1903-06. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Beta Theta Phi, Phi Delta Phi. Clubs: University, Detroit. Recreations; Outdoor exercises; member track team University of Michigan, 1898, Columbian University, 1899 and 1900. Office: 311 Moffat Bldg. Residence: 1939 Woodward Av. Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908
STEEL, George A.
No young man in County has been more successful than Mr. Steel, who is now Vice President of St. John's National Bank and has full charge of the business of his father, R. M. Steel, in this section. He is the eldest of three children and was born in St. John's, June 19, 1862. He was in the last year's course of the High School when his health failed and lie laid aside his book, at the early age of sixteen years to enter into business that would take him out of doors and recuperate his wasting strength. This was in 1878 and he went to Sauk Rapids, Minn., and took charge of the building of a bridge. His health improved and he went to St. Paul where he had charge of the building of the sub structure of the highway bridge across the Mississippi at Ft. Snelling. His father had the contracts for both of these structures. In 1879 young Steel went to Nevada where he acted as Paymaster, drawing and signing all checks and seeing to the purchase of all stores for a force engaged in the building of tbe Nevada Central Railroad. The next year he was in Oregon and Washington, again acting as paymaster and looking after all the finances of the Oregon Railway Navigation Company, the Oregon Trans-Continental Company, and the Oregon Construction Company that had contracts for the construction of some four hundred miles of railroad. In his disbursements for the company' he handled from $200,000 to $350,00 per month. While his father was President he became Secretary. Both had been largely interested in the company from the beginning and at the close of their contract they owned all the shares. In 1885 Mr. Steel was married in St. John's to Miss Cora Stout. This lady was born in Maple Rapids and is a daughter of Anderson Stout, an early settler in that place and an attorney-at-law. For some time he was located in St. John's, but he now makes his home in Pasadena, Cal., and has retired from practice. Mrs. Steel is a graduate of St. John's High School and of Mrs. Noble's Training School of Elocution of Detroit, and was a teacher in St. John's before her marriage. To her there have been born two sons - Francis R. and George G. Educated and refined, with a degree of good judgment and tact that enables her to look well to the ways of her household, she is one to whom prosperity brings a greater desire to make life pleasant and surround her home with the evidences and means of culture. After his marriage Mr. Steel located in St. John's taking charge of his own and his father's affairs and doing no more contracting until quite recently. He became connected with the National Bank at St. John's and has since been its Vice President. He is also a Director of the Clinton County Savings Bank of St. John's St. John's Manufacturing Company,Whipple Harrow Company, St. John's Electric Light, Heat & Power Company and the Gas Company. He is Director and Manager of the St. John's Evaporator & Produce Company, which he assisted in organizing, and is interested in the First National Banks of Union and Island Cily, Ore., and is a Director of the First National Banks of Ovid, Mt. Pleasant, St. Louis and Ithaca, this State. With his father he is largely interested in real estate, milling and merchandising in Oregon. He has a nice property in St. John's and has been Trustee of the village for four years. Politically, Mr. Steel is a Republican and he has a place in the foremost ranks of the party. For the First three years he has been a delegate to the State convention. He is endowed with a large amount of public spirit, is liberal in his donations of time and money to worthy enterprises and in his dealings with mankind is straightforward and honorable. He is looked up to and admired by his fellowmen, not only on account of his phenominal success, but because of the manly character and gentlemanliness of his bearing. [Portrait Biographical Clinton & Shiawassee 1891]
STEVENS, Frederick Waeir
Lawyer; born, Clinton, Mich., May 24, 1865; son of Linus F. and Mary E. (Waeir) Stevens; educated in public schools of Hersey and Grand Rapids, Mich.; Law Department, university of Michigan, degree of LL.B., 1887. Married at Grand Rapids, Aug. 28, 1888, Nellie M. Henshaw. Admitted to the bar, June, 1887; practiced in Grand Rapids, 1887-1900; removed to Detroit, 1900; general counsel and general solicitor Pere Marquette R.R. Co., since 1900, and Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Ry. Co., since 1904; engaged in general practice to a limited extent. Assistant U.S. attorney Western district of Michigan, 1890-91; school trustee Grand Rapids, 1891-94. Republican. Club: Detroit. Recreations: Horseback riding. Office; Fort St. Depot Bldg. Residence: 55 Woodward Av. Terrace. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
Leonard Tillotson was born March 15, 1803, at Berkshire, Mass. The family removed to Medina Co., Ohio, in 1814. At twenty-three years of age he married Miss Mary Thomas, of New Haven, Conn., rearing a family of six children. He died at the age of sixty-two. Mrs. Tillotson, at the advanced age of seventy-five, in good health and sound mind, resides with a son, William, the subject of this sketch, who was born Nov. 23, 1826. In 1852 he came to the town of Duplain, and purchasing eighty acres of wild land on section 11, immediately began improving it. Sought and found a companion in Miss Mary B. Wooll, whose family came, in 1854, to Duplain from Loraine, Ohio. They were married September 26th; pursued their improvements, which have resulted in a finely-improved farm, and surrounded them with many comforts of life, upon which they can look with pride as the results of their industry. Surrounded by a large circle of friends, life passes pleasantly. Their union has been blessed with four children, - Marion, born Sept. 23, 1860; Myra, April 13, 1864; Hattie, May 6, 1868; Willie, May 6, 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Tillotson have long been consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [History of Shiawassee and Clinton counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers. D.W. Ensign - 1880]
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails