Foster City, Dickinson County; a station on a branch of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad in Breen Township, in 1884; the village was founded and named by Alonzo L. Foster in 1884, and he became its first postmaster on Feb. 5, 1886; this lumberman disposed of his holdings here in 1895; it was in Menominee County until Dickinson was organized in 1891 (B. Milligan, PM; GSM 1887)
--Michigan Place Names, Walter Romig, publisher, Grosse Point Michigan, 1905
Foster City, Dickinson County, Michigan, was named "Burnt Bluffs" and then changed to Foster City for Foster Brothers, prominent lumbermen at this point.
--A history of the origin of the place names connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railways .. Stennett. William H., Chicago, 1908
Oscar G. Johnson, Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
Michigan Gazetteer and Business Directory Floodwood, Foster City, Granite Bluff, Hardwood, Hylas
Foster City in the News