Loretto, Dickinson County: a station on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad; the village was founded and platted by the Appleton Mining Company in 1892; Matthew E. Gleason became its first postmaster on Nov. 18, 1895, the office operating until March 31, 1964. (PM; PO Archives)
--Michigan Place Names, Walter Romig, publisher, Grosse Point Michigan, 1905
Loretto, Dickinson County, Michigan, was laid out in 1887, and named from the city in Italy.
--A history of the origin of the place names connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railways .. Stennett. William H., Chicago, 1908
Loretto in the News
Michigan Gazetteer and Business Directory Kingsford, Loretto, Merriman, Metropolitan