Quinnesec, Dickinson County: John L. Bell discovered the Quinnesex Mine in 1871 and successfully developed it; he founded this village which followed from it and which was platted in 1876; Roscoe G. Brown became its first postmaster on Sept. 25, 1877; a station on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad; then in Menominee County, it was transferred to Dickinson on Oct. 1, 1871; the name is Indian for smokey waters, referring to the mist hanging over the nearby Menominee River (PM; Havinghurst; PO Archives)
--Michigan Place Names, Walter Romig, publisher, Grosse Point Michigan, 1905
Quinnesec, Dickinson County, Michigan. Quinnesec is an Indian word meaning "where the river forms smoke," and was given to this village from the falls in the Quinnesec River at this point. It was named by John L. Buell. The Indian word was pronounced as it is spelled, be-quen-se-nec.
--A history of the origin of the place names connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railways .. Stennett. William H., Chicago, 1908
Quinnesec in the News
--MICHIGAN GAZETTEER AND BUSINESS DIRECTORY: Quinnesec, Ralph, Randville, Richardburg
Quinnesec Biographical Sketches ----History of the upper peninsula of Michigan, 1883, Western Historical Co., Chicago; Western Historical Co.
Quinnesec is the oldest town on the Menominee Range and was laid out by John L. Buell in 1877. Mr. Buel was a strong believer in the future prosperity of the range, and while it was still a wilderness, came here and cleared a portion of the town site and erected the first buildings, among others the Quinnesec House. For some time after the village was inaugurated, Mr. Buell was unable to find any one bold enough to cast their fortunes in it, and for a time it looked as if the new town must die alone. But after the valuable qualities of the iron deposits had been established and the advent of the railroad had been promised, the town grew up at once, and was for a long time one of the most successful business points during its life as the terminus of the line. After the mines of the range began to develop and the line was extended, Quinnesec began to lose some of its resources, and a relax in business life was the natural result. To-day it presents the appearance of a good, solid little business town with limited resources. Though unable to manifest the vigor and life of its pioneer days, it seems to pursue the even tenor of its way, and carry on a thriving trade. In the event of new iron discoveries, which is almost a foregone conclusion, the village will receive new resources and increase in wealth and population. The town is well laid out; has a good public hall, three church buildings Swedish Lutheran, Swedish Methodist and Catholic.
--History of the upper peninsula of Michigan: containing a full account of its early settlement, its growth, development, and resources, an extended description of its iron and copper mines: also, accurate sketches of its counties, cities, towns, and villages ... biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers, 1883, Western Historical Co., Chicago; Western Historical Co.