Dickinson County, Michigan

Sagola

Sagola, Dickinson County: about 1885, five Chicago men formed the Sagola Lumber Company to log off the pine timber here; there were still Indians in the area and the firm took its name from the Indian word for welcome, and also gave the town the name; it was in Iron County when William S. Laing became its first postmaster on Oct. 9, 1889, the office being transferred to Dickinson County on Oct. 1, 1891, with Diedrick C. Wittenberg as postmast (Mrs. Elaine Fruik; PO Archives.)

--Michigan Place Names, Walter Romig, publisher, Grosse Point Michigan, 1905

Sagola Biographies

Sagola in the News

MICHIGAN GAZETTEER AND BUSINESS DIRECTORY:Sagola, Vulcan, Waucedah

Sagola:  Pictures and Postcards

--Main Street, Sagola, 1900

Sagola Bicycle Club (Date Unknown)

HOME