Waucedah, Dickinson County: it began as an iron mining settlement named Breen after the mine discovered in 1866 and opened in 1871 by Thomas and Bently Breen; a station on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad; David R. Gifford became the first postmaster of Waucedah, Indian for over there, on June 26, 1877, the office operating until April 15, 1942 (Sawyer, GSM 1881; PO Archive)
--Michigan Place Names, Walter Romig, publisher, Grosse Point Michigan, 1905
Waucedah, Dickinson County, Michigan, was named by Judge J. Ingalls, one of the original owners of the town site, from a nearby stream. The word is Ojibway Indian and means "murmuring waters" or "little talking stream."
--A history of the origin of the place names connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railways .. Stennett. William H., Chicago, 1908
Waucedah in the News
MICHIGAN GAZETTEER AND BUSINESS DIRECTORY: Sagola, Vulcan, Waucedah