Eaton County, Michigan
BARBER, Homer G.
This gentleman has been in the mercantile business in Eaton County longer than any other man now living, and is today, as he always has been, a most active business man. He is located at Vermontville, where the firm of Barber, Ambrose & Rockwell, carries the largest stock of goods in the county, including all kinds of general merchandise. The senior partner engaged in merchandising here in 1853 and the business has been carried on continually since, although for some time Mr. Barber resided elsewhere. The ill health of some members of his family made residence in the South desirable, and he built a fine home in Atlanta, Ga., and made that his place of abode for two years. lie did not however dispose of his interests in Vermontville, and about 1886 he returned hither and again gave his personal attention to his affairs here. Besides his mercantile establishment he has been carrying on a bank, having first begun this financial operation about twenty years ago. Beginning life as a poor boy, he has displayed such peculiar ability that he seems to have the real Midas touch that turns everything in his hands to gold.
The birthplace of Hon. Mr. Barber was Benson, Rutland County, Vt., and his natal day November 25, 1830. He is the second of four children born to Edward H. and Rebecca (Griswold) Barber, with whom he came to Vermontville in the summer of 1831). His grandfather, David Barber, was the first settler of Benson, Vt., locating in 1792, and putting up the first grist and saw mill and also the first dwelling in that place. There the father of our subject was born in 1704 and there he grew to man’s estate and married. The journey to this State was made laboriously, eight days being consumed in traversing the country from Detroit to Vermontville with an ox-team, a distance that can now be crossed in less than four hours. The father took up a tract of heavy timber land, a large portion up a tract of heavy timber land, a large portion of which he cutaway with his own hands. He put up the first saw mill in the place, and carried on farming until he rested from his earthly labors in 1866. He was prominent in local politics, was largely instrumental in establishing the first school at Vermontville and in the organization of the Congregational Church. A liberal and public-spirited man, his interest in the place has been transmitted to his son, our subject.
Homer G. Barber was mainly educated in the old Vermontville Academy under the tutorship of the Rev. William Benedict. Ills early life up to seventeen years of age was spent on the farm, and he then went to Kalamazoo, where for two years he had charge of the post-office under Postmaster Ransom. The news of the discovery of gold in California led Mr. Barber to the coast, whither he went via Cape Horn in 1849. He remained two years engaged in mining, and met with good success, being able to bring back with him a fair amount of "dust." Upon his return to his old home he followed farming about two years, then embarked as a merchant. Not long after opening his private bank he left his business in good hands and removed to Jackson, where he was interested in a furniture factory, being Manager and Treasurer four years. He then sold out his interest there and went South as before mentioned. Since his return to the North he has become interested in other enterprises as a silent partner and he also owns several farms and valuable town property. For years he has been a leader, not only in the commercial but the civil life of Vermontville, and his excellent judgment, true public spirit and great liberality entitle him to the front rank among her citizens.
Mr. Barber has held numerous village and township offices, and for many years was not allowed to retire from public service but was retained in some capacity or other by his fellow-men. In 1869 he was elected to the Stale Senate, representing Eaton and Barry Counties in the session of 1869-70 and the special session of 1871. He was elected on the Republican ticket, having been a member of that party from it« organization. As he believes in tariff for revenue only, lie now casts his vote with the Democrats. While in the Senate he introduced a bill to compel all railroads in Michigan to carry in each passenger car a bucket, ax, saw, pick and hammer for use in case of accidents, and this bill became a law. At the expiration of his term Mr. Barber was solicited to accept a second, but declined the nomination. In 1888 he was nominated on the Democratic ticket, much against his wish, but as the district is strongly Republican he was defeated by a small majority.
Although not a member of any religious denomination, Mr. Barber is a Trustee of the Congregational Church at Vermontville and aids it and other societies in various lines of work. Socially he is a Mason, being one of the charter members of Vermontville Lodge, No. 232, A. F. & A. M., and identified with the Chapter and Commandery at Charlotte. He was the first Master of the Blue Lodge and now occupies that Chair, lie is a well-informed man, able to present his views clearly, has agreeable manners and the dignity and courtesy of the old school gentleman. The beautiful residence occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Barber is the finest in the town and is pleasantly located in the western part, amid surroundings in keeping with the abundant means and good taste of the owner. It is presided over by the lady who became Mrs. Barber in 1853 and who bore the maiden name of Lucy C. Dwight. She was born in Niagara County, N. Y., in 1834, and is a daughter of Perry D. and Lucy H. (Hamilton) Dwight, natives of Massachusetts. Her father died in the Empire State, and her mother brought her family to the West in the early days of Eaton County, and located in Vermontville. Mr. and Mrs. Barber are the parents of three children but have only one son living. This is Edward D., a hardware merchant in Vermontville, who married Miss Frankie Dancer and has two sons—Vance and Keith. The first-born of our subject and his wife, Ida L., was the wife of Fred A. Hull, who now lives in Asheville, N. C. Jennie G. died when four years old. Mr. and Mrs. Barber had an adopted daughter, Louise I., but she too is now deceased. She was the wife of Will C. Alsover, formerly of Atlanta, Ga., but now cashier of Mr. Barber’s bank in Vermontville. Mr. and Mrs. Alsover had one child — Ned, now a lad of four years. [From the History of TN 1887 by Goodspeed]
BETTS, Allen W.
Is a highly-respected member of the agricultural community of Eaton County, and is conducting his farming and stock-raising operations on a well-ordered farm, which is pleasantly located in Chester Township. He is a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, born May 20, 1847. John Betts, his father, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., in 1803. He came of sterling Revolutionary stock, being the grandson of a soldier in the War for Independence. The great-great-grandfather of our subject was a German by birth, and came from the Fatherland in Colonial limes,and settled in Germantown. Pa. The grandfather of our subject whose name was Christian Bette, was born and reared in Pennsylvania. He removed to Ohio in the early days of its settlement and passed his remaining years in that State. John Betts was a small boy when his parents settled in the primeval wilds of the Buckeye State. He grew to maturity there and in due time was married to Miss Nancy Allison, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1802. She was a consistent Christian, a member of the Presbyterian Church, and remained true to the faith until her death in 1877. Her ancestors came from Ireland to this country many years ago.
In 1852 the Betts family came to Eaton County and established a home in Chester Township. The father bought a tract of wild land which, with the aid of his children, he developed into a good farm in the years of toil that followed his settlement here. He died in 1870, at the age of sixty-seven years, leaving behind him an honorable record of a well-spent life. He was a valuable citizen, one who could be implicitly trusted, and he was called upon to help administer the local government. He was Township Treasurer, Justice of the Peace, and held other public offices of trust.
Allen W. Betts is one of eight children, seven of whom are living. He early gained a knowledge of farming under his father’s instruction, and as he grew older became a valuable assistant to him in operating the old homestead, of which he took charge after his father’s death. When the family came here the surrounding country still retained much of its primeval wildness, and deer, wolves and other wild animals that are not now seen in these parts, then haunted the forests and prairies. Our subject received good educational advantages, laying the foundation of his education in the rude log schoolhouses of pioneer times, and completing it by a thorough course of study at a good select school at Grand Ledge, Mich. He became a proficient scholar, as he was a devoted student, and he especially excelled in mathematics. He might then have prepared himself for one of the professions, but life held for him a sacred duty in the care of his parents, who had so tenderly reared him, and as he could nowhere do it so well as in their old home, he resolutely put aside all thoughts of honors that be might gain elsewhere and devoted himself to farming on the old homestead, continuing its management after his father’s death. He has deservedly prospered in his calling as a general farmer and stock-raiser, and has a fine farm of one hundred acres of highly productive land. He raises a good grade of horses, and has his farm well stocked with other stock. Our subject has been blessed by a good wife, to whom he was married in 1883. They are both well-esteemed by the entire community for their many good qualities of head and heart. Mr. Betts is a Democrat in politics and is in every way a thoroughly good citizen. Mrs. Betts is a sincere member of the Catholic Church. She is a native of Massachusetts, and her maiden name was Lucy McDonald. She is a daughter of Patrick and Mary McDonald, natives of Ireland, who came to this country when the great famine prevailed in the land of their birth. Mrs. McDonald was left an orphan at the age of eleven years, and then lived in an aristocratic family, with whom she remained until her marriage. She is still living, and three of her children have been spared to bless her old age. The McDonalds were reared in the faith of the Catholic Church, and have always remained faithful members. They first settled in Massachusetts, whence they came in the 50s to Michigan. After living awhile in Marshall, they took up their residence in Charlotte when it was only a log town. Mr. McDonald, who was a blacksmith by trade, having served his apprenticeship in boyhood when he was so small that he had to stand on a box to work the bellows, opened a shop which is still standing, an old landmark, and did a flourishing business, people patronizing him from far and near. He was thus identified with the growth and settlement of Charlotte, and a much respected citizen was removed from the scene of his usefulness at his death in March, 1871. [Source: "Portrait And Biographical Album Of Barry And Eaton Counties, Mich."; Chapman Bros, 1891]
Is a well-known and prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Eaton County, of which he is an old settler, and during his residence here of forty five years or more he has actively aided in making it a rich agricultural center, and has cleared and improved a tract of land, finely located in Chester Township, which when it came into his possession was heavily timbered, but is now one of the best equipped and most productive farms in this locality.
The birthplace of our subject was near Albion, N. Y. ,and he was born January 1, 1824. Luther Bosworth was the name of his father, and he was also a native of New York. He became a pioneer farmer of Ohio, removing to the northeastern part of that State in 1824. In 1846 he crossed the border and became a resident of this commonwealth, casting in his lot with the early settlers of Eaton County. He made his home here the rest of his life, dying in 1888 at the venerable age of eighty-four years. He was a man of sincere Christian principles and for many years was a devoted member of the Disciple Church. The paternal grandfather of our subject was also a native of New York, and he was of English descent. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Lomyra Kelly, and she was a native of the State of New York. She died while yet in the prime of womanhood in 1821, soon after the family settled in Ohio. Of her three children, one is now living.
As Mr. Bosworth, the subject of our sketch, was brought up on a farm, be early gained a knowledge of agriculture. His education was conducted in the rude log schoolhouses of early pioneer times, furnished with slab seats, provided with puncheon floors, and having greased paper for windows. He remained an inmate of his father’s household until he attained his majority, and then in the vigor of a strong, self-reliant manhood he went out into the world to make his own way in it. Possessed of a sound, healthy nature, work had no terrors for him, but on the contrary he took pleasure in it, and especially did he delight in felling the trees of the primeval forests; many a cord of wood has he chopped, and many an acre of land cleared and prepared for cultivation. In 1845 he left his early home in Ohio where he had lived from infancy, and coming to Michigan, he has ever since been a citizen of Eaton County, he bought a piece of heavily-timbered land in the woods by the old State road, lying on section 6, Chester Township. His first work was to erect a log house and prepare to live in pioneer style.
After he had established his dwelling and cleared a patch of land for farming purposes Mr. Bosworth returned to Ohio, and by his marriage in that State in August, 1850, to Miss Almira Bark he secured a companion and a capable helpmate to assist him in the upbuilding of a home in the wilderness, Mrs. Bosworth was born February 25, 1830, in one of the pioneer homes of Ohio, a daughter of Francis and Lucina (Granger) Bark, who were natives respectively of Canada and New York. They removed to the Buckeye State when they were quite young, and there Mr. Bark was actively engaged in farming for many years. He died in his eighty- first year, leaving behind him the record of a life well-spent. He was a firm Christian until the day of his death and a member of the Free Will Baptist Church. Mrs. Bark who attained the venerable age of eighty-seven years, was likewise a member of the same church. She died April 7, 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Bosworth have had six children, of whom the following is recorded: Granger F., is married and is well settled in life as a farmer in Sunfield Township; Francis F. is also married and prosperously engaged in fanning in Sunfield Township; Lucina L., is the wife of Lewis Lemmon, a farmer of Sunfield Township; Myron K.,is teaching school; Charles is deceased; and Edwin L. is at home with his parents.
Our subject is a typical self-made man. as all that he has and all that he is, he owes to his indomitable perseverance in overcoming the difficulties in the pathway to success, and his strict attention to his calling, as he is a firm believer in one business for one man. When he came to Michigan his only earthly possessions consisted of an ax and a shovel. He wielded these with good effect and hewed his way to a substantial fortune. During his early life here he experienced many of the hardships and privations incidental to pioneer surroundings in a newly-settled country. His sturdy constitution enabled him to endure these trials with fortitude, and by the exercise of prudence, thrift and industry, seconded by forethought and sound judgment, he acquired a goodly amount of property, and is one of the well-to-do members of the farming community of Chester Township. He found this part of the country in a wild, sparsely-settled condition, with plenty of deer and other wild game roaming in the forests, where the Indians still lingered. Our subject had but very few neighbors in those days, as there were only three houses between his dwelling and Charlotte, a distance of ten miles. He has lived to see a different order of things, and in this now well-developed country his farm is one of the best of the many fine homesteads for which this region is justly celebrated. It comprises three hundred acres of choice land, and all the valuable improvements upon it have been placed there by our subject. He has erected large and conveniently-arranged buildings, and his residence is commodious and well fitted up. Mr. Bosworth possesses a strong, well-balanced mind, and those trails of character which command respect in the business world and give him the esteem of his fellow-citizens. He has always been actively interested in politics, is a firm supporter of the Republican party, is never absent from any of the local caucuses, and is perhaps as well-informed on all of the political issues of the day as any roan in the township. Socially he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd fellows and the Grange. [Source: "Portrait And Biographical Album Of Barry And Eaton Counties, Mich."; Chapman Bros, 1891]
CHURCH, Carl T.
President of the Merchants' National Bunk, of Charlotte, has been prominent in the history and affairs of Eaton County for a period of nearly forty years. In every good work of a public nature during that time, in both city and county, his name is inseparably connected, and in numerous cases his personality is stamped upon it. His natural talent as a financier and adviser, together with his broad and progressive public spirit, have been potent in the development of this locality, and are still largely directing the forces which enhance its welfare. Mr. Church comes from one of the pioneer families of Ohio. He was born in Seneca County, of that State, January 26, 1835. His parents were Earl and Calena (Titus) Church. His mother was a daughter of Curtis Titus, and was born in February, 1808, in Connecticut. She was a type of the noble self-sacrificing women who having capacity and endurance were such important factors in settling up the great Northwestern Territory in the first part of this century. To her constant care and activity in their behalf her family owed much in the way of comfort and happiness in their pioneer home. She was an expert in the use of the spinning wheel, and while the meals were being cooked before the fire in a huge open fireplace her hands were spinning the yarn to clothe the family.
The father was born January 28, 1798, in Saratoga County, in the Stale of New York, and married June 14, 1827. He resided in Castile, Genesee County, until 1833, when he removed with his wife and three children, to the primeval wilds of Ohio. After a short resilience in Huron County he located among the pioneers of Seneca County, buying a tract of Government land in Adams Township.
His first work was to erect a log cabin for the shelter of his family, which was the regulation pioneer abode of the times, with a chimney of earth and sticks, the fireplace occupying the greater part of one end of the house, and logs six feet long being burned in it. It was in such an humble abode, and surrounded by the earliest pioneer environments, that the subject of this sketch was born. The surrounding country was a mere wilderness, with but few evidences of civilization, there being no railroads in that section for many years after, the lake ports being the nearest markets. The father was a man of superior mental calibre, who had been well educated, and his services were sought as a pioneer teacher in Seneca County. In the month of August, 1849, death rounded out his life, and the community was deprived of an honored citizen who left behind him a record unblemished. and the memory of an upright man who has been true in all the relations that he had sustained toward others. He and his worthy wife were the parents of eight children, viz.: Daniel W., Lucinda, John C, Earl T., Eleanor, Harvey W., Anna and Charles C, our subject being the fourth. During his youth Earl T. worked on the farm in the summer and attended school in the winter, his first instruction being received in a school taught by his father. After his father's death he made his home with his uncle, by whom he was employed as a farm laborer until he was seventeen years old. At that time he entered the mercantile world as a clerk in a store at Fremont, in his native State. A year following he gave up that position and decided to try his fortune in the Golden State, but while on his way was taken sick at St. Joseph, Mo., and was compelled to abandon the trip further. Returning to Ohio, he remained a short time and iu the fall of 1854 cast in his lot with Michigan, and has ever since been a resident of Charlotte. Upon arriving here his time was employed in various kinds of work, clerical and otherwise, besides a course of study in the academy and serving as clerk in the office of County Register of Deeds for three years.
In 1858 Mr. Church embarked for himself in business, and a continuous chain of active business life follows that venture to the present hour. He opened a small grocery store which he stocked with goods amounting in value to $300, selling a part of his home lot in part payment, while owing at the same time $400 in a mortgage upon his home. His capacity and integrity as developed drew to him the best people of village and country, and from that time until 1881 he gave his principal attention to the details of his business, and became locally celebrated for the purity of the goods he sold and his careful attention to the wholesome wants of his customers. Upon this question of absolute Integrity in the details of his business relations, he was always noted. Never would he permit even the smallest value to be paid for poor goods in his store when he knew it, preferring rather, when necessary, to destroy them and suffer the loss himself. He was a natural enemy to adulterations in goods as well as in character, and people soon learned that it was not necessary to question the purity of goods or accuracy of accounts when dealing in his store. Since 1881 he has remained with the business only as a silent partner, but it is yet one of the largest and finest establishments of the kind in Eaton County.
In December, 1884, Mr. Church was requested by a few of the stockholders of the Merchants National Bank to interest himself with them, as his ability and experience were needed in the counsels of that corporation. His consent was obtained, and in May, 1886, he assumed the active management of this prosperous institution, and has continued as President and manager since that time. His executive ability, careful and conservative movements, with good judgment added, have no-where been better evinced than in his connection with Hi is bank in the responsible position he occupies as its presiding officer, as under his careful and skillful guidance it has become one of the foremost monetary institutions in this part of the State, its prosperity resting on a sound and healthy basis, and enjoying the full confidence of its depositors and all who have dealings with it.
But President Church does not lose the spirit of his first love, as he finds time for recreation in looking after farm work, in the midst of his other duties, and every summer devotes considerable attention to his farms and agricultural interests. He is further identified with the financial interests of the people, as he loans money for non-residents and others, and is prominently connected with various enterprises which have been started from time to time for the furtherance of the interests of city and county. He assisted in organizing the Charlotte Manufacturing Company, and was elected its President in 1873, which position he has held ever since. When the Eaton County Agricultural Society was organized he took an active interest in it, and the society is greatly indebted to him for his untiring zeal in its welfare. He has served repeatedly in past years as Secretary and President of this association, and the beautiful grounds are largely due to the energy of Mr. Church, who led squads of volunteer laborers day after day, from year to year, in fitting and beautifying the same for its present era of usefulness and profit to the people of the county. Mr. E. S. Lacy, (present Comptroller of the Currency) speaking in one of his reports of the extensive improvements that had been made in the grove, said that nineteen-twentieths of the credit was due to the unfaltering zeal, the indomitable energy, the systematic effort, and faultless taste of Mr. Church."
During the war he was Enrolling Commissioner and Recruiting Agent for his town, and his usual zeal was present in keeping up the required quota of men, and in many other ways his devotion to the Government was made manifest. The Eaton County Jail, one of the best in the State, was erected under his and Mr. Lacey's supervision, Mr. Church being Chairman of the Building Committee, and a remarkable fact is recorded that it was built for a less sum than was appropriated for that purpose. This city is great!" indebted to him for its fine public library, as he was very active in securing its establishment, was for many years its President, and still takes a deep interest in it. He is also a moving spirit in the Charlotte Cemetery Association, and has been its President since 1873.
In politics Mr. Church is a Democrat, but inclined to the broad and advanced ideas of a fraternal Nationalism. He is thus not wedded to party issues regardless of where they lead. He is too broad and honest for a first-class modern politician. When only twenty-one years of age he was elected Town Clerk and held that position many years, and in 1868 was advanced to Supervisor, and re-elected each year thereafter until Charlotte was incorporated as a city. He was elected the first Treasurer of Charlotte and handled the public funds until 1871, when he was elected President of the village, which was incorporated as a city that year. He was Chairman of the committee that drew up the city charter and procured its adoption. Under this charter he was elected its first Supervisor, and the following year was advanced to the Mayoralty. In 1872 he was the candidate of his party for the Legislature, and although defeated ran beautifully ahead of his ticket.
Mr. Church is a prominent Mason, and has filled the position of District Deputy Grand Master of the fifth Masonic district, embracing Jackson, Calhoun, Barry and Eaton Counties. He has filled the chair of Master in Charlotte Lodge several years, and was elected the first High Priest in the Chapter. He is now Treasurer of his Commandery of Knights Templar, and presiding officer of the Council.
To the lady who presides over his home and unites with him in extending its hospitalities, Mr. Church was married in August, 1856. Mrs. Church's maiden name was Emma J. Bouton, her parents being pioneers of Eaton County. This union brought them one son, Charles E., who now resides in Kansas City. With all of the public work and duties to which Mr. Church has been called he has always preserved the quiet, unassuming and modest deportment natural to him. He worked for results rather than personal aggrandizement or glory. He is not ambitious as the world knows ambition, yet is untiring in his devotion to all matters pertaining absolutely to the public good. He belongs to that groat minority who seek to do right in all things because it is right, without making inquiries about rewards or punishments, therefore he could not be other than liberal in his religious convictions. His personal sorrows and griefs are always borne silently and alone, and we might say his joys also, as he does not seek to be seen and known of men except so far as good can be produced from it. While he has not amassed a large fortune, or attained great distinction, as the world usually measures men, he has done what is more in keeping with his character; been a cheerful giver, an earnest worker for his fellows, ever modestly working out his destiny with truth upon his banner, and he already enjoys the reward of his good works by securing the unbounded confidence of his fellow-citizens. [Source: "Portrait And Biographical Album Of Barry And Eaton Counties, Mich."; Chapman Bros, 1891]
COLLINS, George V.
A prominent and well-known druggist of Charlotte, Eaton County, has the oldest established business in the city and is numbered among its moneyed citizens who have been potent in promoting its growth and in advancing its highest interests. The town of Sardinia, Erie County, N. Y., is the place of his birth, and August 15, 1827, (DC says 1826) the date thereof. His father, whose name was George S. Collins was born in Rutland County, Vt, and was a son of John Collins, who was also a native of New England. His father had come from England in Colonial times and spent his last years in that part of America settled by the Puritans. The grandfather of our subject removed from Vermont to the State of New York and was a pioneer farmer of Monroe County, improving a farm from the wilderness in the town of Mendon.
The father of George V. learned the trade of carding and cloth dressing in his youth, and followed that occupation in New York State. He finally erected a mill in the town of Sardinia, Erie County, and operated it some years. In 1839 he removed to Yorkshire, Cattaraugus County, where he bought a partly-improved farm, and turned his attention toward its cultivation. In 1850 he sold that place, and his next removal was to Perrinton, Monroe County, and there, on the small farm that he purchased at the time of his settlement there, his well-spent life of eighty-two years was brought to a close by his death in 1880. In early manhood he took unto himself a wife in the person of Miss Caroline Baldwin, who died in 1844. She was native of Lewis County, N. Y., of which her parents, who were of New England birth, were pioneers. She reared a family of ten children.
Our subject was carefully trained iu his childhood by good parents, and on his father's farm gained a substantial knowledge of agriculture. He remained an inmate of the home of his childhood until 1849, and then went out into the world to find what life held for him elsewhere. He started westward, and proceeded by lake to Detroit, from there on the railroad to New Buffalo, and embarking on the waters of Lake Michigan he at last found himself in Chicago, he did not tarry long in that city which then showed no signs of its future greatness, hut proceeded by rail to Elgin, and thence by stage to Galena and from there by the Fever and Mississippi rivers to St. Paul and St. Anthony Falls, near the present site of Minneapolis which was then unheard of, and St. Paul, its rival, was but a small hamlet. Mr. Collins made no stop there, but pushed on to Stillwater, then the largest town in the Territory of Minnesota. From there he made his way to the pineries of Wisconsin, where he worked at lumbering. In the spring he went back to Galena on a lumber raft, and buying land near that city, he farmed three summers, spending his winters in the pineries.
In 1853 Mr. Collins sold his possessions in Illinois and came to Michigan. The ensuing three and one-half years were spent in Bryon, Shiawassee County, whence he came in the spring of 1857 to Charlotte, he at once established himself in the drug business, and has carried it on ever since. He has a neatly fitted up establishment, which is fully supplied with all things usually found in a first- class pharmacy, and he enjoys an extensive patronage among the best people of the city. When he came here Charlotte was a mere village of about six hundred people, and it has been his good fortune not only to witness its gradual development into a thriving and populous city, but to add to its material prosperity. In 1858 he erected the first brick store that was ever built here and has since occupied it. He has other valuable property and is in good circumstances.
Mr. Collins and Miss Sarah K. Cronkhite were united in marriage in 1863. Mrs. Collins was born in Monroe County, N. Y., and was a daughter of Ora A. and Matilda Cronkhite. For nearly twenty years our subject's life was blessed by the presence of a devoted companion who was of material assistance to him in the upbuilding of a true home. But at last death separated them, and the household was deprived of the beloved wife and mother in November, 1882. These four children were born of that marriage, and are left to comfort the declining years of our subject - M. Edith, A. Burton, E. Benson and G. Herbert. This brief record of the life of our subject shows him to be a man of excellent business talent, whose judgment is keen and who is well dowered with those sturdy traits of character that, seconded by his unimpeachable integrity, have made him a valuable citizen. He is a sound Democrat in his political views; and socially, is a member of Charlotte Lodge, No. 20, A. F. & A. M. He has served two terms as a member of the City Council. [Source: "Portrait And Biographical Album Of Barry And Eaton Counties, Mich."; Chapman Bros, 1891]
CORBIN, John Milton
Attorney; born, Lockport, N.Y., Sept. 8, 1844; son of Isaiah H. and Almira L. (Mills) Corbin; educated at Charlotte (Mich.) Academy and Eaton Rapids (Mich.) High School; married at Eaton Rapids, Mich., (Eaton Co) Sept. 18, 1878, Artie Scott. Entered law office of Crane & Montgomery, Eaton Rapids, June 1, 1867, and was admitted to the bar June 20, 1870; had a large practice at Eaton Rapids until removing to Detroit, Oct. 6, 1901; makes specialty of insurance and corporation law; attorney for the state for Federal Life Insurance Co. of Chicago and Federal Union Surety Co. of Indianapolis; has also engaged in a number of successful business enterprises, among which was the Jackson Cracker Co. President Michigan State Bank, Eaton Rapids; vice president Exchange Bank of Dimondale, Mich.; director, secretary and treasurer George G. Harris Co., wholesale dealers in candies and distributing agents for Lowney's Candies, and Queen Anne Baking Powder Co., both of Detroit. Independent Republican. Congregationalist. Member Masonic order (32), Knight Templar. Clubs: Wayne and Fellowcraft. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: 812 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 75 Chandler Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
CORWIN, Humphyrey J.
One of the prominent farmers of Windsor Township, came to Eaton County when eighteen years old, and for about thirty-six years has aided in its development and progress. He has seen many changes in the country, the once wild territory being now dotted with villages, crossed by railroads and made into fair and fruitful farms. His present estate consists of one hundred and twenty acres of land that he has brought from a primitive condition to one of improvement such that the income derived there from is very satisfactory. Mr. Corwin makes a specialty of sheep and feeds as high as four hundred head per annum. He has shipped more stock than any other man in the township.
The birthplace of Mr. Corwin was Cayuga County, N. Y., his natal day January 30, 1836, and his parents Jeremiah and Ann (Wing) Corwin. His father was born in New York and is now living in Montcalm County, this State; his mother, who died in 1879, was born in Connecticut. They removed to Huron County, Ohio, in 1842, and in 1854 came to this State, setting up their home in Eaton County. Beside our subject, their family included Ann, wife of Oliver Hale, living in Montcalm County; William, a soldier in the Civil War, now a resident of Detroit; John, an old soldier, now living in Montcalm County; and Rebecca, formerly the wife of G. W. Squiers, who died in 1870.
The present wife of Mr. Corwin was known in her maidenhood as Miss Lois Hanchett. She was born in Medina County, Ohio, November 8, 1842 and is a daughter of Amos and Sarah (French) Hanchett, who were early settlers in the Buckeye State. Mr. Corwin bought forty acres of wild land when he came to Eaton County, and increased his estate by good management and frugal living, until he was able to carry on quite extensive agricultural operations. He is in the main self-educated, his entire school life not exceeding a year, but he is well informed and understands what is transpiring in the business and political world. He has held several offices, such as Constable, Drainage Commissioner, and Highway Commissioner, each unsolicited and unsought.
In looking over his past life Mr. Corwin feels a consciousness that his labors have been of value in securing to posterity the benefits of civilization, and opening up an agricultural region unsurpassed in the United States, and with his personal gain he has no reason to be displeased, as his property provides him with every comfort. Politically, Mr. Corwin was a Republican from his earliest years until the Greenback party was organized, and he then joined the new body. He has good standing among his fellow-men and is a quiet, reliable citizen. [Source: "Portrait And Biographical Album Of Barry And Eaton Counties, Mich."; Chapman Bros, 1891]
DANIELS, William Breck
Lawyer; born, Olivet, Mich., (Eaton County) Nov. 25, 1868; son of Joseph L. and Julia B. (Allen) Daniels; educated in public schools of Olivet and Olivet College, graduating, A. B., 1890, and in Law Department, University of Michigan. Has engaged in practice in Detroit since 1898. Republican. Congregationalist. Member Detroit Bar Association, Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason. Office: 500 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 524 Brush St. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
GANNON, Frank B.
President of the First National Bank of Aberdeen, was born in Genoa, Ottawa county, Ohio, on the 21st of October, 1851, being a son of William and Sarah A. (Compton) Gannon. The mother died in 1893. The father is a farmer by occupation, and still resides at Genoa, Ottawa county, Ohio. The subject secured his early educational training in the common schools, and when but fifteen years of age began to depend upon his own exertions in defraying the expenses of his school work. He continued to attend the public schools two and one-half years and also was for a short time a student in the Lebanon Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio. At the age of nineteen he began teaching in the district schools of Ohio, and through this means accumulated two hundred dollars, which practically served as the nucleus of his present fortune. In 1874 Mr. Gannon engaged in the meat-market business in Eaton Rapids, Michigan, continuing this enterprise five years, and being thereafter engaged in the boot and shoe business in the same town, for three years, at the expiration of which, in November, 1882, he came to Jamestown, Dakota territory, and shortly afterward located in Ellendale, both places being now in the state of North Dakota. In the latter village he engaged in the banking business under the title of Gannon, Smith & Company. In 1801 the institution was reorganized as a state bank, and was thereafter conducted under the firm name of F. B. Gannon & Company, until November, 1902, when it was reorganized as the First National Bank of Ellendale, our subject being elected president at the time and still being incumbent of this position. On the 7th of March, 1899, he became associated with J. H. Stuttle in purchasing a controlling stock in the First National Bank of Aberdeen, and of its institution he has since been president, having been a resident of Aberdeen since 1899. In 1902 Mr. Gannon was one of the organizers of the Aberdeen Wholesale Grocery Company, of which he is treasurer, and this has become one of the leading commercial enterprises of this thriving city. Mr. Gannon has also been for a number of years prominently interested in the cattle business in North Dakota, and in company with his brother, W. H., he is the owner of one of the finest herds of full-blooded Herefords to be found in this section of the northwest. In politics he has ever maintained an independent attitude, giving his support to the men and measures meeting the approval of his judgment, but having no political ambition in a personal way. Mr. Gannon is a Mason, belonging to the blue lodge, the chapter, commandery, consistory and the Shrine. He is also a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity, holding membership at Ellendale. South Dakota. On July 2, 1873, Mr. Gannon married Sarah Cook, of Sandusky county, Ohio. They became the parents of two sons : Deak, who died aged four years and eight months ; and Ralph, who died aged eight months. [History of South Dakota by Doane Robinson, 1901]
Scant justice would be done to those who have made Eaton County what it is to-day were we to omit from this volume an epitome of the life of Hiram Gridley. He is now numbered among the independent farmers of Kalamo Township, although he is as well known by his connection with saw and grist milling as he is as an agriculturist. The handsome property upon which he resides consists of three hundred and sixty acres on section 21, through which Herring Creek flows. A water ram carries the water to the barns, five in number, and all the latest improved machinery and modern conveniences are to be found about the estate. A large sugar grove and fruitful orchard add much to the beauty of the property and greatly increase its value.
Curtis Gridley, grandfather of Hiram, was a native of Connecticut and an early settler in Cortland County, N. Y., where his son Reuben was born. The latter followed his sire's example in taking up farm work and he also ran saw and grist mills and a distillery. In 1834 he came to Calhoun County, this State, and entered land near Homer where he spent the remnant of his days. His father also died there. Reuben Gridley married Olive Herring, a native of Cortland County, N. Y., and she too died at Homer. Her father came to this State many years ago and died in Barry County. It will thus be seen that Hiram Gridley is closely connected with several pioneer workers in this part our great commonwealth, and we find upon inquiry that he began his own work here some time before he had reached his majority.
The gentleman of whom we write is the first- born of eleven children and opened his eyes to the light in Cortland County, N. Y., February 5, 1816. During his boyhood and early youth he enjoyed the school privileges that were then known in the section and, like other lads, learned how to bear a hand in the work that was being done by his father. He sawed lumber when but sixteen years old and also gained much practical knowledge of farming. When eighteen he came hither with his parents and remained with them on the farm near Homer, Calhoun County, until 1845. He then came to Eaton County with a capital of $1,000 and bought the land upon which he is living. It was a heavily timbered tract upon which not a stick had been cut, and there were but four houses then standing between Bellevue and Vermontville. He began with eighty acres of land, to which he has added as fast as possible, and which showed marked improvement from time to time. So much timber stood in this country and so little value was placed upon it that he sold walnut for $8 per M. He brought fifty swarms of bees with him and was a successful apiarist. He carries on stock-raising as well as ordinary farming, and has high grades of domestic animals, his flock of sheep being over five hundred.
In 1852 Mr. Gridley put up a steam sawmill which he ran about ten years. He then sold it and it was moved to Vermontville where it still stands. Two years after engaging in this enterprise with his brother Reuben they built the first steam gristmill in this vicing and did a large custom business, running four stones. They made money in this way, but sold the mill during the war, and it too was moved to Vermontville and is now running there. After disposing of that business Mr. Gridley gave his exclusive attention to farming for a few years, but finally put up his present sawmill, which is run by steam, having an engine of forty-horse power, and cuts one thousand feet per hour. It must not be supposed that Mr. Gridley's success has come from good luck. On the contrary it has been gained at the expense of deep thought, earnest consideration of ways and means and unflagging industry. In Potter County, Pa., August 25, 1810, the solemn ceremony that united the lives and fortunes of Hiram Gridley and Betsey Warrick took place. The bride was the sixth child born to Thomas and Phebe (Lyon) Warrick, both of whom were born in Connecticut. In that State both Grandfather Warrick and Grandfather Lyon lived and died. Thence Mrs. Gridley's father removed to Madison County, N. Y., where he was engaged in milling, and where he died when but forty-nine years old. His widow subsequently came West and died in Eaton County when eighty-six years old. She was a conscientious Christian and belonged to the Baptist Church. Mrs. Gridley was born in Madison County, N. Y., September 3, 1819, and reared on a farm there. She received an excellent education and when nineteen years old began teaching in the vicinity of her home. After a short time she went to Potter County, Pa., where she was similarly engaged until her marriage.
The family of our subject and his amiable wife numbered eight children, but two of whom are now with their parents. Mary was formerly the wife of H. Davis, but is now deceased; Ella married George Hyden and lives in the village of Kalamo; Estella is the wife of John Webber and their home is in Otoe County, Neb.; Isadore died in California; Eoline is still a member of her parents' household; Elbert is associated with his father in carrying on the home farm and sawmill; Jane died in 1880; Walter lived but a few years. Mr. Gridley long since decided that the Democratic platform incorporated the best principles of governmental polity, and he therefore conscientiously supports it and has aided the party by serving as a delegate to county conventions. He served as Township Treasurer four years and for a long period was Commissioner of Highways. No man in the township has taken a deeper interest in the well-being of the people than Hiram Gridley, and none are more highly spoken of or better deserving of commendation. One of the chief ways in which he has elevated the standard of society is in his temperance work, which has been earnest and unremitting. He is now a demitted member of the Independent Order of Good Templars. he organized lodges of that order here and did much good thereby, saving ninny from further progress on the downward career that would otherwise have ended in a drunkard's grave. [Source: "Portrait And Biographical Album Of Barry And Eaton Counties, Mich."; Chapman Bros, 1891]
Jonathan Holmes, Postmaster at Grand Ledge, Eston County, whose sketch now claims attention, is one of tho most popular and highly esteemed gentlemen in the place, performing faithfully every duty that falls to him. He is a son of Joseph, and Minerva (Carlisle) Holmes, and was born in Clermont County. Ohio, April 27, 1843. His father was a harness-maker in early life, but on account of failing health, engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he followed until his death. When our subject was four years old his parents removed to Farmington, Oakland County, this state, and there engaged in farming. Our subject remained upon the farm until nineteen years of age, and upon the breaking out of the Civil War enlisted in Company K, First Michigan Engineers and Mechanics Corps, their duty being to carry tools with which, to construct and destroy works. The laying of a pontoon bridge was attended with much danger, as the rebels would be on one side of the river opposing, and the Yankees behind protecting, thus leaving them between two fires.
Mr. Holmes enlisted August 14, 1863, for three years and was honorably discharged in November, 1865. He was appointed to be Corporal in Jane, 1864, and Orderly Sergeant the following July, with which rank be was discharged. His first work as a soldier was at Elk River, Tenn., and the following winter his company aided in building the railroad northwest of Nashville, to the Tennessee River. They then went to Chattanooga and built all the block houses on to Atlanta. They aided in destroying that city and then joined Sherman in his march to the sea, their duty being to lay the pontoon bridges and destroy the roads behind the army. This required a great deal of night work and exposure in the water. They anticipated in several fights on the march, and it was Mr. Holmes that set fire to the magazine captured from the Confederates at Columbia, S. C. At Raleigh, N. C, they encamped a short time and then marched on to Richmond, from there to Washington and took part in tho Grand Review. After that event our subject took the cars to Louisville and went into camp with his company. From that city they went to Nashville, where they were discharged and were mustered out at Jackson, this State. At the muster out our subject was the highest officer present in command of the company and as such turned over the company's stores. Upon returning to civil life Mr. Holmes engaged as clerk for B. T. Esler, of Grand Ledge for whom he worked five years. In September, 1870, he engaged in the grocery business on his own account. In April, 1871. He was elected Township Clerk and the following August received the appointment of Postmaster. With the exception of three years during Cleveland's administration, he has occupied that office ever since, which in itself is sufficient proof of his work as an official. March 11, 1867, Mr. Holmes was united in marriage with Mary M. Davis, of Amherst, Mass., but at the time our subject formed her acquaintance she was engaged as a teacher of Latin in a select school, known as Oakland Institute. Their union has been blessed by the birth of two children, Joseph S. H. and Clifford D. The former is now a student in the Michigan University at Ann Arbor and is preparing himself to be a civil and mechanical engineer. The younger is attending the Union School at Grand Ledge, Mr. Holmes is Express Agent at this place and also Manager of the telephone office. In politics he has done his share, always working for his party and serving as delegate to conventions, both Congressional and Stale, and has always been an unfaltering Republican. Shiftily he is an honored member of the Knights of Pythias, the lndependent Order of Odd Fellows, the Free and Accepted Masons, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Knights of Honor and the Grand Army of the Republic, in the latter of which he has served for the last four years as Commander. He has never been a member of any church organization, but was for years a Trustee in the Congregational Church, and whs also a member of the choir. As Postmaster Mr. Holmes is found to be the right man in the right place. He is courteous, gentlemanly and considerate in his dealings with all, and is among our finest citizens. [Source: "Portrait And Biographical Album Of Barry And Eaton Counties, Mich."; Chapman Bros, 1891]
JACKSON, Cornelius S.
Conspicuous among the farmers of Sunfield Township, Eaton County, is Mr. Jackson, who has a fine piece of property on section 36. He was born in Poughkcepsie, Dutchess County, N. Y., April 2, 1834, and is the eldest child of John and Minerva (Stillwell) Jackson. His parents were horn in Connecticut and New York respectively and about 1846 removed from Dutchess to Erie County where they lived until the fall of 1856. They then came to this State and established their home in Portland, Ionia County, but later removed to Ingham County. The father died in the town of White Oak in December, 1890, at the ripe age of eighty-four years. His widow still survives and is now eighty-five years old. Mr. Jackson was a lime dealer in New York and owned a vessel on the Hudson River. After he came to this State he was always engaged in farming. He took no part in politics except to cast a Democratic ticket. He and his wife belonged to the Baptist Church. Resides our subject their living children are George, a farmer in Ingham County; and Melissa, wife of Albert Irish, whose home is at Traverse City.
The subject of this sketch was reared in Dutchess and Erie Counties, N. Y., and received a common-school education. He came West with his parents and remained in Ionia County until the spring of 1861 when he removed to Sunfield Township, Eaton County. There he married and then went to Roxana Township in which he resided until about 1870 when he bought his present farm. Removing hither he has been carrying on agricultural work and has put up the buildings now to be seen on the estate. He started out in life poor and what he has, has resulted from his own energy, industry and prudence, and the frugality and good management of his wife. The date of the marriage of Mr. Jackson was January 14, 1860, and the name of his bride Abbie S. Tunison. That lady was horn in New York in October, 1834, and was a daughter of William and Susan (Beekman) Tunison, early settlers in Roxana Township, Eaton County. She died May 22, 1887, leaving one daughter, Dora A., who is now teaching in the district schools.
Mr. Jackson is a Master Mason, a member of the Blue Lodge at Charlotte, belong to the Odd Fellows lodge at Shay town and also to the Grange. His first Presidential vote was cast for John C. Fremont and he has always been a Republican. He has held the offices of Highway Commissioner, Township Treasurer and Supervisor, and in the last office has served eight years. The duties which devolved upon him in these several capacities have been conscientiously discharged and his ability has been manifested in a striking manner. In 1800 he was nominated for Register of Deeds of Eaton County and made a strong race, running ahead of his ticket. It was a Democratic year, however, and he was defeated, but only by twenty-seven votes. Mr. Jackson is more than ordinarily well-informed and his standing in the township and county is enviable. [Source: "Portrait And Biographical Album Of Barry And Eaton Counties, Mich."; Chapman Bros, 1891]
JONES, Arthur Lawyer
born, Lansing, Mich., (Eaton Co) Aug. 17, 1861; son of Ezra and Marcia (Peet) Jones; educated in public schools of Lansing until close of school year, 1876; Bartlett Business College, Lansing, one year, ending, 1877; entered Michigan Agricultural College, Lansing, Mar. 1878, graduating, Aug 6,1881, degree of BS; entered Law Department, University of Michigan, Oct, 1883, graduating, degree of B.L. Mar 24, 1884; married at Lansing, Dec 2, 1885, Elizabeth Tryon Haines. Began practice in Muskegon, Mich., 1884, and continued there until Jan. 1, 1903, then he removed to Detroit; has devoted his attention entirely to law and makes specialty of municipal and private corporation work; member firm of Clark, Jones & Bryant, organized Jan 1, 1903. Democrat. Office: 406-411 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 588 Cass Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
Bradley State agent Spring Garden Fire Insurance CO. of Philadelphia; born, New York City, Oct 22, 1835; son of Joseph A and Eliza (Bradley) Jones; educated in public and private schools of Jackson, Mich., up to 16; married at Lansing, Mich., (Eaton Co) May 9, 1865, Irma T. Andrews, learned printer’s trade on the Jackson (Mich.) Citizen, beginning when 16 years of age, in 1851; established in 1858 the Dowagiac (Mich.) Republican, and was manager and local editor Lansing State Republican, 1860-66; entered real estate and general insurance business, 1867, and has acted as special agent for various fire insurance companies to the present time; has been state agent Spring Garden Fire Insurance Co. since 1906. Resided at Lansing, 1857-1900, where he was member of real estate firm of Jones & Porter, 1867-92; clerk Michigan house of Representative, 1863-71; member common council Lansing, six years, and of board of education six years; removed to Ann Arbor, 1900, and remained there until 1904; has been a residence of Detroit since 1904; was secretary and member board of directors harbor point Association for seven years from its organization; then at Bay View for five years. Republican. Congregationalist. member Masonic order, Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, Lansing. Recreations: Outdoor diversions. Office: 520 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 65 Leicester Ct. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908. C. Walter's NOTE: died in 1914 - he is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery - Lansing, Ingham Co MI]
LONGYEAR, Howard Williams
Surgeon; born, Lansing, Mich., July 24, 1852; son of John Wesley and Harriet (Monroe) Longyear; educated in Lansing public schools; commercial college; University of Michigan; Columbia University, New York City, Medical Department (College of Physicians and Surgeons), degree of M.D., 1875; post-graduate studies in hospitals of Berlin and Vienna; married at Lansing, Mich., Sept. 7, 1880, Abbie Scott. In practice in Detroit since 1875; visiting physician to Womanâ€™s Hospital, Gynecologist to Harper Hospital, professor clinical gynecology Detroit College of medicine; vice president and treasurer Universal Button Fastening and Button Co. Member Wayne County Medical Society, Michigan State Medical Society, American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologist (ex-president). Member A.O.U.W. and N.U. Clubs: Detroit, Country. Recreations: Hunting, fishing and boating. Office: 271 Woodward Av. Residence: 451 Jefferson Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis]
McCARTER, Charles A.
In the town Galata, that is now about five years old and is one of the flourishing trading centers of northwestern Montana, Charles A. McCarter was the first inhabitant to erect a building, and at different times he has owned the most important business enterprises of the town. In the future history of this region he will be written of as one of the prominent pioneers, and his work and influence have been very important factors in the development of this locality. Mr. McCarter was born at Diamond Dale, Michigan, January 29, 1877, and during his boyhood attended the public schools. His school days ending when he was fifteen, he came out to Montana in 1892, and became connected with the cattle business which was then the principal industry of the northern part of the state. His headquarters were at Augusta, and three years later he moved to Choteau, where he acquired large interests in cattle and lands. It was in 1907 that he moved to the townsite of Galata and erected the building in which was opened the C. A. McCarter store. There were only three houses in Galata at the time, and his store was a small affair and its trade was drawn mostly from the surrounding stock and farming country. He has since built up his business into the largest concern of the kind in this vicinity, and his other interests here include a livery barn and extensive land holdings in this section. Mrs. C. A. McCarter has the post-office, having been appointed postmistress in 1907, and has just been reappointed. Mr. McCarter's parents were James and Margaret (Kirkendall) McCarter. The father, who died in Michigan in 1910 at the age of seventy-three, was a native of Scotland, coming to America when a young man, and was a continuous resident of Diamond Dale, Michigan, for forty-five years. He was a successful contractor and builder, and a prominent and respected citizen of his home locality. The mother, who was born in Charlesworth, Michigan, is still living in Diamond Dale, at the age of sixty-seven. Charles A. was the third, in their family of six children, the others being: John, who is a resident of Montana; William, who is still in Diamond Dale; Mary, resides in Diamond Dale; and Cora and Cynthia, live in California. At Havre, Montana, on February 15, 1906, Mr. McCarter was married to Miss Minnie Olsen. Four children have been born into their home. James was the first child born in the town of Galata. He was born in December, 1907, and died the following year. Jennie was born in Galata, May 27, 1909; Charles was born on April 25, 1911; and William J., was born October 15, 1912. In politics Mr. McCarter is Republican. He affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America, and his wife, is a member of the Lutheran church. He is one of the representative men and vigorous, public-spirited citizens of this new country of northwest Montana, in whose modern development he has had an important share. [History of Montana, Volume 3, 1913, transcribed by C. Danielson]
NEWBRO, DuPont Morse
Pharmacist; born, Lansing, Mich., (Eaton Co) Mar. 28, 1865; son of Soloman D. and Orrisa D. (Maxwell) Newbro; educated in public and private schools of Lansing; married at Butte, Ont., Nov. 20, 1888, Sarah Matilda Hall. Started Newgro Drug Co., Butte, Feb. 1, 1890, first as a retail store, later as wholesale and retail; was for twelve years president and general manager of the company, selling out to company which still bears his name; principal owner and director Fosselman Drug Co., Walkerville Drug Co., and Montana Drug Co., all of Butte, selling out, November, 1902; was for ten years president Washoe Copper Co., whose properties were disposed of to the Amalgamated Copper Co. for $20,000,000. Has been president and general manager of The Herpicide Company, of Detroit, since Sept. 13, 1901, manufacturers of Newbro’s Herpicide. Was the first president of Montana State Pharmacy Examining Board; president Montana State Pharmaceutical Association, 1904-05. Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Golf, Detroit Automobile Recreations: Automobiling, hunting and golf. Office: 35-37 Milwaukee Av., W. Residence: 46 Pallister Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908]
NEWBRO, DuPont Morse
A pharmaceutical manufacturer of Detroit, waa born in Lansing, Michigan, and ia a son of Solomon D. and Orissa (Maxwell) Newbro, the former a native of Ohio, while the latter was born in the state of New York. The father was a prominent member of the medical profession in Lansing, Michigan, where he practiced for many years, or until the time of his death. His wife also passed away in Michigan in 1914. In their family were three children: Mrs. Walter Bleick, now living in Butte, Montana; Mrs. Florence, Qrcen, a resident of Long Beach, California; and Dupont M. of this review. The son obtained his early eduation in the schools of his native city and started out in the business world as an apprentice to the drug trade and at the same time took up the study of pharmacy in Lansing, being thus engaged until 1885. He then went to Helena, Montana, and a few months later removed to Butte, Montana, where he established a drug business on his own account, first opening a retail store and later engaging in both the wholesale and retail trade. It was while carrying on his retail drug business that he originated and put on the market Newbros Herpicide the first prophylactic for the scalp and the first preparation of its kind made in America. It is manufactered in Detroit by the Herpicide Company, of which he is president and general manager. He was for twelve years president and general manager of the Newbro Drug Company and on the 1st of January, 1902, he disponed of his interest in the business, which has since been successfully conducted under the original name. While in the west Mr. Newbro also became principal owner and a director of the Fosselman Drug Company, the Walkerville Drug Company, and the Montana Drug Company, all of Butte, but disposed of his various retail interests there in November, 1902. He was likewise for ten years president of the Washoe Copper Company, whose properties were sold to the Amalgamated Copper Company for twenty million dollars. While residing in the west he was instrumental in organizing the Montana Pharmaceutical Association, of which he became the first president and he was also the first president of the Montana State Pharmaceutical Examining Board. His efforts and attention, however, are now concentrated upon his manufacturing interests and with his return to Detroit his firm erected a suitable building at Nos. 35 to 37 Milwaukee avenue, West, for a manufacturing plant. Mr. Newbro devotes his entire time to his manufacturing interests and has won notable success in this field. On the 20th of November, 1888 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Newbro and Miss Sarah M. Hall of Butte, Montana, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William K. Hall of that city. They have heroine parents of three children: William Hall, born in Butte in 1894, was educated in the public schools of Detroit and the Culver Military Academy of Indiana, and during the World War he enlisted in the service, was made sergeant and sent overseas; Martha J., born in Butte, in 1899, was graduated from Wellesley College in 1920; Dupont M., Jr.. was born in Detroit in l905 and is now attending the Northern high school. Mr. Newbro is a Knights Templar Mason and is a member of Moslem Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He likewise belongs to tho Detroit Athletic, Detroit Golf and the Detroit Auto Clubs, and his interest in community affairs is shown in his connection with the Board of Commerce. Mr. Newbro is recognized as a man of keen business enterprise and of splendid powers of organization and his success is the direct outcome of his labors and intelligently directed energy. He is quick to cooperate in all movements for the puhlic good and has given tangible support to many efforts for Detroit's benefit and upbuilding. His resilience is at No 100 Pallister avenue, and his summer home, "Glenlodge," is on the shores of Lake Angelus, Oakland county, Michigan. [Source: The city of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922, Volume 4 By William Stocking, Gordon K. Miller]
ROBSON, Frank E.
Lawyer; born, Lansing, Mich., (Eaton Co) July 20, 1859; son of John and Mary (Ingersoll) Robson; educated in public schools of Lansing, Michigan Agricultural College, Lansing, 1875-78, degree of B,S,M 1878; Law Department, University of Michigan, degree of LL.B., 1883; married at Toledo, O., June 10, 1885, Caroline W. Claflin. Began practice of law in office of Schuyler F. Seager, Lansing, continuing until death of Mr. Seager, 1883; in partnership with S.S. Olds as Olds & Robson, 1883-88, and practiced alone, 1888-90; removed to Detroit, and practiced in partnership with Judge Van Zile until 1893; practiced alone, 1893-05; has been senior member firm of Robson, George & Fisher since Jan. 1, 1905. Secretary and treasurer Hennepin Iron Co.; secretary Springwells Brick Co.; director St. Clair land Co., Lansing. Lecturer on private corporations at Detroit College of Law. Member Detroit Bar Association, Michigan State Bar Association, American Bar Association. Republican. Congregationalist. Club: Detroit. Recreation: Culture of flowers. Office: 720 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 48 Canfield Av., E. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908; C. Walter's NOTE: Died 1948 and is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery - Ingham Co MI]
SPAULDING, Clayton A.
Lumber; born, Monroe, Mich., (Monroe Co) May 18, 1862; son of Don Orlando and Anna A. (Bradford) Spalding; educated in public and high schools of Monroe; married at Lansing, (Eaton Co) Feb. 14, 1907, Miss Oceana Ferry. Began active career at Monroe as dealer in cedar poles and lumber, 1887; removed to Detroit, 1902 and is proprietor C.A. Spalding & Co. Also president Climax manufacturing Co. Republican. Presbyterian. Member A.F. & A.M. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Rushmere. Office: 502 Hammond Bldg. Residence; 129 Taylor Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908]
Educator, author, was born July 6, 1870, in Charlotte, Mich. Since 1895 he has been professor of economics at Boston university. He is the author of History of Mining Legislation in England. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
WEBSTER, Clyde I.
Lawyer; born, Eaton Rapids, Mich. (Eaton Co) , Aug. 10, 1877; son of Hiram P. (a prominent Michigan lumberman) and Sarah J. (Pickerd) Webster; graduate Eaton Rapids High School, 1895; attended University of Michigan six years, graduating from Literary Department, degree of Ph. B., 1899 and from Law Department, degree of LL. B., June, 1901; married at Eaton Rapids, Sept. 4, 1901, Edith May Hughes. Began practice in Detroit, June, 1901, in office of which the present firm is Dickinson, Stevenson, Cullen, Warren & Butzel, continuing until November, 1904, when he became member of firm of Choate & Webster, which firm still continues' doing a general law businesscommercial, corporation, insurance and probate law. Republican. Member Corinthian Lodge, A. F. & A. M., King Cyrus Chapter, Detroit Commandery No. i, Knights Templar; K.O.T.M. of the World Modern Woodmen of America, Sigma Alpha Epsilon (college fraternity). Office: 911 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 143 Sidney Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
WHEELER, James Harvey
The late J. H. Wheeler was a resident of Hamlin Township, Eaton County, for more than forty years, and having come hither when the country was much less thickly populated than now, he had a share in what may be called pioneer work and experience. In his early life he was apprenticed to a carpenter and after coming West He did considerable work at his trade, principally in making coffins to supply the demand in his vicinity. He also erected a planing-mill and sash and door factory, which he carried on in addition to cultivating a farm. He bought eighty-seven acres of land on section 33 and himself did the clearing and breaking, living in a little shanty which he put up to shelter him until a substantial frame house could be built. Here he made his home and in time had a fair and fruitful estate, he later added to his land until he had one hundred and ninety-four acres.
Mr. Wheeler was born in Waterbury, Conn., April 24, 1815, dying in 1868. His parents were James and Phebe (Sanford) Wheeler, who removed from their former home to Enfield, Tompkins County. N. Y., during his early childhood and later went to Chemung County, N. Y. Still later they removed to Portage County. Ohio, where the son attained to his majority and married Miss Silence Collins. With this lady he came to Michigan in 1843, but of her companionship he was bereft December 16, 1854, when she breathed her last. Their union had been blessed by the birth of two children, one of whom died in infancy, while the other, Orson H., lived to maturity, married Sarah M. Lapham and established his home in Hamlin Township.
A second marriage was made by Mr. Wheeler, his bride being Miss Lucretia Cochran, who was born in Bennington County, Vt., May 4, 1818. Two children was born of this union: Irving J. and Frank A. The elder of these was born May 30, 1857, and is still living in Hamlin Township. He married Miss Saftie L. Cochran and they have the following children: Alice L., born March 31, 1883; Annie J., May 9, 1885; Mabel A., April 7, 1888; and Fanny M., November 3, 1889. Frank, the younger son of our subject, is now a resident of Portland, Oregon.
Mr. Wheeler was not what would be called a politician, although he was always desirous of understanding party questions and conscientiously deposited his ballot. In early life he was a Whig and later supported the Free Soil party. He was a sincere Christian, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and i man whose life was characterized by strict integrity and honorable dealings. [Portrait and Biographical 1882]
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails