Gogebic County, Michigan
COONS, George Forrest (D.D.S.)
Practicing in Ironwood, Michigan, since 1915, has acquired a reputation as one of the leading dentists of this section of the county. His parents. John and Rhoda Ann (Cross) Coons, were natives of Iroquois, Canada, the former, a retired farmer, now residing at Detroit and the latter dying in 1922 at the age of sixty-eight years. Born at Caro, Michigan, in 1887. George r. Coons received a public school education in Canada, after which he attended Ohio Wysleyan University and later the Ohio College of Dental Surgery. Cincinnati, Ohio, completing his studies at the Chicago College of Denial Surgery whence he graduated in 1913. He entered upon the practice of his profession at Wakefield, Michigan, but with the lapse of a year, he removed his offices to Ironwood, where he has since remained. Doctor Coons has built up a large and lucrative practice, and is recognized by the people as one of the capable and successful men in his field in this section of the county. On August 16, 1916, Doctor Coons married Bertha T. Lofberg. who was born at Three Lakes. Michigan, and to this union have been born three children, Elizabeth Marian, George Douglas, and Jack Donald, aged nine, seven, and five years, respectively. On April 7, 1925, Doctor Coons was elected city commissioner for a term of four years and is serving as mayor pro tempore. He is a member of the Masons, Elks, Gogebic Country club, and the Kiwanis club, and in political matters he supports the cause of the Republican party. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman, 1926]
CROSBY, Theodore S.
Theodore S. Crosby, M. D., is accounted one of the most skillful physicians and surgeons of Ironwood, Michigan, for by case that might be placed in his care. He was born at Corry, Pennsylvania, October 24, 1877, the son of Manley and Frances (Clarke) Crosby, both of whom were natives of Cattaraugus county. New York. Manley Crosby was a banker and attorney, was a member of the Elks, Masons, Knights of Pythias, and died in 1910 at the age of sixty-seven years, his wife having died in 1900 at the age of forty-seven. After receiving a graded and high school education at Corry, Pennsylvania. Theodore S. Crosby studied medicine at Baltimore, Maryland, receiving the degree of pied the ensuing year, and then, for a period of two years, Doctor Crosby engaged in private practice at Ml. Clemens, Michigan. At the expiration of that time, he became surgeon for a large American circus company and with that organization traveled through- New York City and in 1911 located at Wakefield, Michigan, where he again engaged in private practice. He was subsequently made was a major in the Reserve Corps at Wakefield, Michigan, and was examiner for the applicants for military service. Doctor Crosby continued in practice at Wakefield until May 3, 1926, when he removed to Ironwood. Since that date he has maintained his offices in this city and has taken his rightful place among the leaders of the medical profession here. On September 22, 1904, Doctor Crosby married Adele Nelson, born in England, and to this union were born two sons, Theodore, aged twenty-one years, and Robert, nineteen years old, who are attending the University of Detroit. Having separated from his first wife, Doctor Crosby married Stella Basikorki, of Chicago, on March 11, 1913, and to them have been born three sons, Alvin, Thomas, and Archibald, His second wife died April 27, 1926, at the age of thirty-seven years. Doctor Crosby is a member of the Elks, American Legion, Forty and Eight club, Forest & Streams, Gogebic Country & Golf club, and the Episcopal church. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman, 1926]
HON. S. S. CURRY, president of the Metropolitan Iron and Land Company, Ironwood, Michigan, is one of the best known men in this part of the State. Some personal mention of him is therefore appropriate in this work,and we take pleasure in presenting the following: S. S. Curry was born in Lancaster, Ontario, Canada, June 12, 1839. The Currys are of Scotch origin. Mr. Curry's father and grandfather, Solomon and John Curry, were, however, born in Canada- His mother, whose maiden name was Ann Wood, was a native of New York and was reared in Washington county, that State. She was twice married. By her first marriage she had five children. For her second husband she married Alexander McLeod, by whom also she had five children. The children by the first marriage were Elizabeth. Jennie, Johnson, Joseph and Solomon S.; by second husband,â€”Archibald A., a prominent railroad man of the Reading system of New York; Isabella, deceased; Henrietta, wife of Dr. Norton, of California; Alexander, who died when young; and J. A., a prominent physician of Gogebic county. Mr. Curry's maternal grandfather, Alexander Wood, was a Scotchman who came to New York in '808. and for some time was engaged in mercantile pursuits in New York city. He married a Miss Southerland, a member of the Colonel Southerland family. Solomon Curry, the father, and his wife were married in Canada, and after their marriage located on a farm at Curry Hill. He died there, at the age of thirty-one years. S. S. Curry is the youngest of then five children and was not bom until after his father's death.
In 1859, at the age of twenty years, Mr. Curry left his native place and went to Potsdam, New York, where he entered upon an apprenticeship to the trade of blacksmith. At the end of two years, in 1862, he came to northern Michigan and engaged in mining, and also in exploring for the Sault Sainte Marie Canal Company, and was thus occupied at Houghton until the following year. From there he went to Marquette, where he was under Henry Delaney, exploring for the same company. He afterward mined in the New England and Washington mines. In 1879 he went to Menominee, where he discovered and opened up what was known as the Curry mine, and operated the same until 1881, when he took charge of the Metropolitan mine, Felch mountain. He also opened what was known as the Beauford mine. Next he took charge of the Norrie mines in Gogebic county, which are now owned by the Metropolitan Iron and Land Company. He was one of the first directors of this company, and at the death of S. P. Burt, its president, Mr. Curry was chosen to fill that office. It has been through his efforts that all the company's property in Gogebic county has been secured. Their mines at Iron wood are known as Norrie, East Norrie, North Norrie and Pabst.
Mr. Curry has been identified with Ironwood during the whole of its existence. Indeed, he is one of its founders, and much of the town was laid out by him; was the first president of the First National Bank of Ironwood; established the People's Bank, of which he was the first president; gave to Ironwood the first American flag it ever owned, and made a speech on the occasion, in 1892. He has always taken an active interest in public and political affairs. In 1875 he represented Marquette county in the Michigan State Legislature, receiving bis election at the hands of the Democratic party. In 1886 he was the Democratic candidate for Lieutenant-Governor, and, although he was defeated, he ran far ahead of his ticket. He is a member of the Masonic order and has advanced lo the thirty-second degree. Mr. Curry was married in 1866 to Elizabeth Stoup. a native of Ann Arbor. Michigan. They have two children. George A. and Anna. The latter is the wife of R. W. Bartlett. of Boston. Massachusetts. She is a graduate of the Boston Law School and he is a prominent lawyer of that city. [Source: Memorial Record of the Northern Peninsula, 1895]
DOUGLAS, Robert A.
Vice-president and managing director of the Gogebic National bank, of Ironwood. Michigan, holds a commanding position in the county for the part he has displayed in the development of the county not only in financial circles but in newspaper work and in public life. He was born at Woodstock. Canada, December 5. 1865, a son of Robert and Sarah (Burgess) Douglas, the former of whom was born in Canada of Scotch parentage and died as the result of an accident received in a baseball game when his son. Robert A., was a young boy and the latter of whom was born at Hillsdale, Michigan, of Dutch and Scotch descent. After attending the Woodstock public schools until he was thirteen years of age, Robert A. Douglas became an apprenticed printer, and for a number of years thereafter, he followed that trade in Woodstock; Madison, Wisconsin; Chicago, Illinois; Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Ashland. Wisconsin. In 1890. he came to Ironwood, Michigan, where he in partnership with George W. R. Peaslee, established the Ironwood News, a newspaper that was subsequently consolidated with the Record under the name of the Ironwood News-Record. After directing the affairs of this newspaper over a period of ten years, Mr. Douglas bought the News-Record, continuing as publisher until he sold out to the Ironwood Daily Globe in 1921, at which time he retired from the newspaper field to become vice-president and managing director of the Gogebic National bank, an office that he still holds. Mr. Douglas has been largely instrumental in shaping the policies of the bank since he became associated with it, and that the institution is considered one of the substantial financial concerns in this section of the state is largely due to his ability in such matters. No less conspicuous have been his activities as a public official in the service of the county and city. He was appointed probate judge to succeed the late Judge Curtis Buck, subsequently being elected to the office, resigning at the time he took up the bank position. For thirteen years he has been chairman of the Gogebic County Board of Supervisors of which he has been a member for twenty-four years. He has served on the board of the Ironwood Public Library since its organization; he was chairman of the charter commission for Ironwood which framed the new city manager charter that was adopted by the voters and placed in effect on April 1, 1925; and he served for sixteen consecutive years prior to 1922 as a member of the Republican State Central Committee of the 12th Congress of Michigan. In August, 1895. Mr. Douglas married Agnes M. Marshall, who was born in Woodstock, Canada. In Masonry, Mr. Douglas is past master of Ironwood Lodge No. 389, F. & A. M . is a Knight Templar, and is affiliated with the Mystic Shrine, and having been elected the first exalted ruler of the local lodge of Elks, he held that office three years. He is also a member of the Ironwood Commercial association, the Gogebic Country & Golf club, and the Rotary club, of which he is past president. Mr. and Mrs. Douglas arc members of the Presbyterian church and take an active interest in its affairs. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
EDDY, Julius H.
A man of scholarly attainment, talented and cultured, Julius H. Eddy, M. D., of Wakefield, Gogebic county, well deserves the success which he has achieved in the practice of his chosen profession and the esteem and respect so universally accorded him by his fellow-citizens. A son of Rev. William H. Eddy, he was born on a farm in the town of Rock, Rock county, Wisconsin, September 19, 1855.
Rev. William H. Eddy was born in Utica, New York, September 12, 1812, while his father, Oded Eddy, was a native of New York state, his birth having occurred in Deerfield, and a lineal descendant of William Eddy, who was born in England and came to Massachusetts with the early Pilgrims, locating in the Plymouth Colony. Lieutenant Oded Eddy, the great-grandfather of Dr. Eddy, served in the Revolutionary war as an officer, being second lieutenant of Caleb Hill's Company in 1776, and first lieutenant of the Second Company, First Regiment, in 1778. Oded Eddy, the Doctor's grandfather, moved from York state to Illinois, locating as a pioneer in Waukegan. Lake county, where he took up prairie land, from which he improved the farm on which he spent his remaining years, as did his wife, whose maiden name was Lucy Ann Northrup.
Converted in his youth, William H. Eddy united with the Baptist church, and having chosen the ministry as his profession subsequently entered the Theological department of Hamilton College, at Clinton, New York, and was there graduated. Being ordained to the ministry at Fulton, Rock county. Wisconsin, Rev. Eddy subsequently filled various pastorates most acceptably, in the meantime superintending, in addition to his ministerial labors, the management of the farm which he had previously purchased and on which he spent his last days, passing away October 12, 1885. His wife, whose maiden name was Jane Crossman, was born in Deerfield, New York, and was there brought up and educated. Her parents, Warren and Susie (Pratt) Grossman, were life-long residents of the Empire state. Mr. Grossman dying at the age of four score and four years, while his wife attained the remarkable age of one hundred and four years. Mrs. William eddy died in April, 1888, To her and her husband nine children were born, namely: Helen Mâ€ž William H., Jane A., John C, Frank C., Julius H., Clarence. Elmer W., and Robert J. Dr. Eddy married, in 1888, Ida Groner, who was born in Janesville, Wisconsin, a daughter of George Groner. Fraternally the Doctor is a member of Janesville Lodge, No. 55, F. & A. M.; of Minerva Chapter, No. 122, R. A. M.; of Gogebic Commandery. No. 46, K. T.; of Ahmed Temple, Mystic Shrine, of Marquette; and of Wakefield Tent, No. 793, K.O.T.M. [A History of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan and Its People By Alva L. Sawyer 1911 The Lewis Publishing Co Chicago IL]
FINNIGAN, John F.
John F. Finnigan, deceased. Mining man of Ironwood, Michigan, came of pioneer stock of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, for his father, Jeremiah Finnigan, who was born in Ireland in 1815, first arrived in this section of the state on July 20, 1845, when he and his brother, Michael, landed at Copper Harbor to explore Isle Royale for copper. The brothers were accompanied by James Downey, Captain Vale, and Mert and Kim Galavan, and when the party landed on Isle Royale, the promised provisions were not sent them. The party took up their abode with a Frenchman who had married an Indian woman, and as the winter wore on, the only food was the flesh of caribou, rabbits, and fish, which they were forced to eat without seasoning of any kind. Unable to exist on the little food obtainable, the Frenchman died for want of salt and was buried in his wigwam. In the spring of 1846, a cask containing twenty gallons of whiskey floated ashore, Jeremiah Finnigan ever maintaining in later years that the liquor aided in keeping the party alive, and in May, that year, they were taken off the island by Captain McKay and by him landed at Eagle River, the squaw taking her dead husband to Sault Ste. Marie for final burial.
From Eagle River, the party made its way to Ontonagon, but in the autumn of 1848, the men decided to return to that place with their families and accordingly set sail. A few hours out, a heavy storm arose, the women and some of the men turning back for Ontonagon. Six of the men, including Jeremiah Finnigan, having decided to continue afoot, were landed and began the arduous journey by land, but by the time they had walked along the lake shore four days, four of the men turned about to return to Ontonagon, leaving Jeremiah Finnigan and Jim Grierson to continue alone. Finnigan and Greirson ran out of food, and though they chased a porcupine into a hollow log, they were unable to get it because they had neither gun nor ax. Finally, at the point where the present Portage canal touches the lake, the two men discovered a log cabin in which was a box of corned beef and a box half-full of tallow candles. The beef, however, was spoiled so that after eating five candles, they set out on the remaining forty miles of the journey to Eagle River, eating the remaining candles on the trip. Arriving at Eagle River, they were taken in by John Carey who sent back two Indians to bring in the other men who had failed to come with them. The men remained at Carey's house until the host's eight barrels of ale had been consumed. Jeremiah Finnigan married Ellen Elliott, who had been born in Ireland and came to the United States in 1851, the journey occupying seventeen weeks. The Finnigan family remained in Keweenaw county until 1855, when Jeremiah and Ellen Finnigan started out to walk to Lake Linden, with two young children the father carrying his son and the mother the daughter, all the family possessions having been left behind. Arriving at Lake Linden, they took up their residence with a half-breed and there remained until Mrs. Finnigan, whose eyes were swollen shut for two weeks from fly bites, had recovered and was able to travel again. The family then completed the journey to Houghton by sailboat and there made their home in a shanty covered with cedar bark, the cabin being located on the site of the present Douglas House. Jeremiah Finnigan died June 22, 1878, and his wife died in 1872, at the age of fifty years. John F. Finnigan was born at Cliff Mine, Keweenaw county, Michigan, August 28, 1852, and attended the schools of Huron township, that county. For a period of two years after completing his education he worked at the trade of butcher, which he learned from Joe Winters, Sr., and was then employed in the mines of Houghton county until 1868, when he went to the Cleveland mine in Marquette county. Returning to Houghton in 1870, he entered the employ of the Marquette & Ontonagon railroad and in 1871 was engaged in railroad work on a line connecting the Republic and Humboldt mines. In 1872-73, he was a miner in the Smith mine near Negaunee, Michigan, after which he went west to work for a short time in the mining regions of Colorado and Montana, and while in the west he had charge of the famous Moffett tunnel on the Denver & Rio Grande R. R. Upon his return to Marquette county, he engaged in mine work until 1892 and was placed in charge of the Mikado mine on the Gogebic range. In 1893, he went to Butte, Montana, where he was employed for some time at the Hi Ore mine. His return to the Gogebic range came as the result of an offer to resume charge of the Mikado mine, a position that he retained until 1901. In that year, he went to Ontonagon county as superintendent for the properties of the St. Louis Copper Crown Mining company,- where he remained until operations were suspended during the panic of 1907.
At that time, Mr. Finnigan returned to Gogebic county and contracted to build concrete bridges between Ironwood and Watersmeet, Michigan. In 1913, when ore was discovered in an open pit at Wakefield, Michigan, further explorations were made in that vicinity, during the course of which a body of ore was found underlying the Finnigan property. Mr. Finnigan thereupon leased the property to Pecans Mather & company and retired from active business life until his death on November 3, 1926. On April 1, 1880, Mr. Finnigan married Margaret Mulligan, who was born in Ontonagon county in 1858, and died September 15, 1902, leaving these children: Jeremiah, who married Nora Devine and resides at Presque Isle Lake, Wisconsin; Miles, who married Miss Phyllis Simms and resides at Wakefield; John, who married Dora Kohler and is a mine policeman for the Oliver Iron Mining company at Bessemer, Michigan; and Margaret, who married Neil Ferguson, a contractor of Burgland, Wisconsin. Mr. Finnigan has twenty grandchildren. On October 8, 1908, Mr. Finnigan married Mary Allen the widow of Pryor Foley, who was born in Canada in 1864, and was brought to the United States when a child of five years by her parents, Richard and Sarah Allen, who settled at Negaunee, Michigan, in 1869.
She has one sister living, Mrs. John Ryan, of Ironwood, Michigan. Mr. Finnigan was a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Elks, while his widow maintains membership in the auxiliary of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the Woman's club, the Ironwood Chapter of the American Red Cross and the auxiliary to the American Legion Post No. 5. Mr. Finnigan always took an active interest in the politics of his community, and in 1892 he was elected supervisor of Bessemer township, holding that office until 1901, and in 1921, running on the Democratic ticket, he was elected supervisor of the Third ward of Ironwood. His public record was one of devotion to the best interests of the people, and for this reason he was known and respected by the voters of this section of the county. In 1918 Mr. Finnigan and John Homesack took a hunting trip into the Casa district of British Columbia, returning after forty-one days with a moose, two caribou, two goats, two sheep, and an eagle which are now preserved in the courthouse at Ironwood, and can be seen by the public. [Source: History of the Upper Peninsula by G.N. Newman]
Probation officer for the Thirty-second Judicial Circuit, is a leading exponent in the real estate, insurance, and loan business at Ironwood, Michigan. He was born in Italy, September 24, 1886, the son of Antonc and Frances (Faranda) Gentile, both natives of Italy, the former of whom died in 1924 at the age of eighty-five years and the latter of whom died in 1926 at the age of seventy-six. After attending the graded schools in his home community, Joseph Gentile studied for a period of three years at the Gennasio school in Italy and then worked for his father for two years. In 1904, he came to the United States, where he became a solicitor and news writer for various Italian newspapers published in this country. He was next associated with the Erie railroad in a capacity that took him to various sections of the country, but after two years spent in this way, he located at Chicago and was made foreman of the Republic Iron & Steel company there. He continued in that capacity until 1910, when he came to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to resume his newspaper career. Thus he continued until 1915, the year in which he engaged in the insurance, real estate, and loan business in which he still continues. He has been signally successful in the conduct of this enterprise and has built up a large business in the fields which he works. As noted above, Mr. Gentile is chief probation officer for the Thirty- second Judicial circuit and is first friend of paroled prisoners of Gogebic county. Mr. Gentile is a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Elks, and the Italian society. On June 15, 1915, Mr. Gentile was united in marriage to Mary Chicolino, who was born in Montreal, Wisconsin, and to this union have been born four children, Mamie, Frances, Joseph, and James, all of whom are attending the local schools. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
GORRILLA, John J.
Is the proprietor of the oldest retail drug establishment now doing business in Ironwood, Michigan and that he has been identified with the commercial interests of the city as store owner for nearly a quarter of a century, Mr. Gorrilla is recognized as one of the successful and influential men in his field in the city and county. Born in Austria, February 2, 1877, he is a son of John and Susan (Mras) Gorrilla, both natives of that country, the former of whom brought his family to the United States in 1880 and is now living a retired life at Ironwood, his wife having died here in 1923 in her sixty-seventh year. After attending the graded and high schools of Ironwood, John J. Gorrilla became a pharmacist's apprentice and then worked in the drug store of George D. Hough for a period of fifteen years. On May 1, 1903, Mr. Gorrilla, feeling that his experience and capital were sufficient to warrant the move, purchased the drug business from Mr. Hough and has since been the proprietor of the enterprise, which is the oldest retail drug concern in Ironwood. Mr. Gorrilla is also a director of the Gogebic National bank and is regarded as one of the shrewd business men of this community, for he has succeeded in developing his venture into the most substantial business of its kind in Gogebic county. In 1900, Mr. Gorrilla married Margaret Weber, born of French parentage at Arcadia, Wisconsin, and they have these children: Lawrence Vincent, twenty-five years old, who is studying medicine at Little Rock, Arkansas; Allen Cyril, twenty-three years of age, who is also studying medicine at the same school; Veronica Claire, twenty-one years old, a student at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Terre Haute, Indiana; and John Edward and George Peter, twins, who are thirteen years old. Mr. Gorrilla is a member of the Knights of Columbus, Catholic Order of Foresters, Elks, Commercial club, Gogebic Country & Golf club. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
HEALY, Francis Arthur
Francis Arthur Healy, as secretary and treasurer of the Agricultural Association of Gogebic county, has succeeded in developing the largest county agricultural fair in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and this he has been able to do during an incumbency that so far has covered but seven years. His father, Joseph Walter Healy, was born in England, came to the United States in 1838. and as a millwright architect, built a number of mills in Indiana. Ohio, and Wisconsin, his death occurring January 18, 1884. Sarah Amelia (Dowries) Healy, mother of Francis A., was born at Honeoye, New York, of Connecticut Yankee and French parentage and died in 1914 at the age of seventy-nine years. Francis Arthur Healy was born at Green Lake, Wisconsin. August 11, 1851, and after graduating from the high school at Portage, Wisconsin, matriculated at Ripon college, Ripon. Wisconsin. In 1871, he entered the employ of a lumber concern of Green Bay and Medford, Wisconsin, acting as superintendent of saw mills for a period of five years. In 1878, he engaged in business for himself conducting a lumber and general store business, and it was during this time that he served on the board of education of the community in which he resided, his term lasting from 1876 to 1880, and was also appointed the first county treasurer of Taylor county, Wisconsin, by Governor Taylor. In 1886, Mr. Healy came to Ironwood. Michigan, to assume the management of a lumber yard owned by Hoxie & Mellor. Alter two years spent in this way. he became assistant cashier of the Bank of Ironwood from 1889 to 1892, he becoming auditor and accountant in the latter year. In 1893 he was appointed postmaster by President Cleveland and served until 1895. In that position he continued for a period of twenty-six years, surrendering that work in 1919 to assume the duties of secretary and treasurer of the Agricultural Association of Gogebic County. He has since been engaged in that undertaking, and principally through his efforts, the Gogebic county fair has grown to be the largest exposition of its kind in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. His interest in the welfare of his county and city influenced the voters to elect him county supervisor, an office that he retained from 1889 to 1898. and his efforts in behalf of the county as a member of the county hoard have won him the respect of the citizens of this section of the state. On October 20, 1875, Sarah Jane Williams of Springvale, Columbia county, Wisconsin, became his wife, and her death occurred December 31, 1898. Mr. and Mrs. Healy became the parents of these children: Maud Edith, who married W. A. Cole, chief master mechanic of the United States Steel corporation on the Gogebic Iron range, Marion Ada. who married Fred S. Larson, an accountant of Ironwood; Frances Phoebe, who married R. C. Williams of the Wrigley Chewing Gum company, of Chicago; Angeline Mary, who is the wife of James O. Wanzer, office manager for the Metropolitan Life Insurance company at Duluth, Minnesota; and a son, who died in infancy. Mr. Healy is a member of the Odd Fellows, the Lansing Lodge of Elks, and the Commercial club. In religious matters, he professes the tenets of the Christian Science creed, and in politics he lends his support to the Democratic party. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
HOPKINS, Edward W.
General superintendent of the Oglebay, Norton company at Ironwood, Michigan, is recognized in the iron mining industry as one of the commanding figures in the field, for his long years of experience in the work, have made him thoroughly conversant with the many details surrounding mining operations. He was born at Binghamton, Outagamie county, Wisconsin, October 10, 1866, a son of Charles W. and Helen (Taylor) Hopkins, the former of whom was a native of New Brunswick, Canada, and died at Appleton, Wisconsin, in 1910 in his eighty- seventh year and the latter of whom was born in England and died in 1911 at the age of seventy-four years. After attending the graded and high schools of Appleton, Wisconsin, Mr. Hopkins became a bookkeeper in the employ of the Oglebay-Norton company, a position in which he continued for several years. In this work, his evident ability and capacity for hard work attracted to him the favorable attention of his superiors, so that he was promoted to the position of assistant superintendent. But here he demonstrated more conclusively his worth to the company, and in 1901, he was made general superintendent of all the mining properties of the company, a position that he has since filled. In 1917, in order that he might be more centrally located with reference to the various mines, he was transferred to Ironwood, Michigan, where he has since maintained his residence and his office. Mr. Hopkins has under his direction these mines, the Montreal, Ottawa, Eureka, Asteroid, Castle, Bristol, Berkshire, and Fortune Lake. In 1890, Mr. Hopkins married Lillie Appleton, who was born in South Dakota of English parentage, and to them have been born two children: Vera Isabelle, who married R. A. Bowen, superintendent of the Montreal mine, and has two children, Edward and Eloise; and Helen, who married Carl A. Rudauist, president of the First National bank, of Ashland, Wisconsin. Mr. Hopkins is a member of the Elks, is president of the Rotary club, and has been president of the Gogebic Country & Golf club since 1919, and Mrs. Hopkins has been active in the affairs of the Woman's club, being president of that organization in 1920. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
Edwin Hedlund, as partner in the men's clothing establishment at Ironwood, Michigan, a store that is known as the Hub, is one of the successful and influential merchants of this community, and to his present position in the commercial interests of the city and county, he has climbed entirely through his own efforts. Born in Sweden, October 4, 1880, he is a son of Casper and Marie Hedlund, both of whom were natives of Sweden and came to the United States in 1886. Casper Hedlund, a watchmaker by trade, is now living at Jessieville, Michigan, but his wife died at Ironwood in 1913 at the age of fifty-six years. Edwin Hedlund attended the schools of Ironwood and Jessieville until he was thirteen years of age, and when he went to work in the Pabst mine at that time, he was the youngest underground mine employe in the Gogebic iron range. For a period of four years he was so employed, and he then secured a position in the department store of Davis & Fehr, remaining there some three years. He then spent a year at Hancock, Michigan, followed by a period at Houghton, Michigan, and in 1903, Mr. Hedlund returned to Ironwood to become manager for the John P. Beckola Fashion store. This position he retained until 1916, when he became a partner of A. Haapoja in the operation of the Hub Clothing store. This establishment has become one of the leaders in its field in this section of the county, for handling as it does a complete line of clothing, haberdashery, and shoes, the store attracts a large patronage that increases steadily each year. Mr. Hedlund is thus recognized as one of the aggressive and resourceful business men of the community in which he resides for his achievement in building up with his partner an enterprise of such proportions. Mr. Hedlund was married in 1903 to Jennie Anderson, a native of Sweden, and they have five children, as follows: Frances, who married J. Cvengros, assistant cashier of the Merchants and Miners bank of Ironwood; Louise, who is a student of Rockford college, Rockford, Illinois; Eleanor and Betty, who attend the Ironwood high school; and Roderick. Mr. Hedlund is a Mason, a Shriner, and an Elk and is a member of the Izaak Walton League, Ironwood Commercial club. Rotary club, Gogebic County & Golf club, and the local chapter of the Red Cross, while his wife is a member of the Woman's club, the Eastern Star, and the S. H. & E. F. of Women. [Source: History of the Upper Peninsula by G.N. Newman]
Clarence W. Holt, a partner with his brother in the well known sporting goods establishment of the Holt company, is recognized as one of the leading business men of Ironwood, Michigan. A native of that city, he was born May 17, 1890, a son of Swan and Anna M. (Olsen) Holt, both natives of Sweden, the former of whom came to the United States in 1885, settled first at Ishpeming, Michigan, and at Ironwood in 1886, and one year previous to his death in 1924 was chief of police of this city. Mrs. Anna M. (Olsen) Holt resides at Ironwood with her son and her daughter, Clifford and Mildred. Clarence W. Holt attended the graded and high schools of Ironwood, graduating from the latter institution in 1908, after which he entered the employ of the Oliver Iron Mining company. In this work, he continued until 1921, when he engaged in business with his brother, Harold E. Holt, the company adopting as its advertising slogan the House of Quality Goods. 'The enterprise is unexcelled in its field in Gogebic county, and Mr. Holt is regarded as one of the successful business men of this city for his achievement in helping in the development of a concern of such proportions. Having taken an active interest in the county politics, Mr. Holt served as a member of the county board of supervisors from 1918 to 1924, serving as chairman of that body in 1923. His work in this connection was signalized by his championing of those measures calculated to benefit the majority of the people of the county. On September 15, 1915, Mr. Holt was united in marriage to Amy M. Erickson, a native of Ironwood, and they have two children, John E. and Helen Louise, aged eight years and five years, respectively. Mr. Holt is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Commercial club, and the Rotary club at Ironwood, and in political matters, he is an adherent to the Republican party. [Source: History of the Upper Peninsula by G.N. Newman]
JOHN HUMBLE, City Marshal of Bessemer, Michigan, dates his birth in England. April 9, 1841. He is a son of Andrew and Margaret Humble, both natives of that country and both now deceased; the father died at the age of sixty-nine years and the mother passed away in 1848. when John was seven years of age. He is the elder of their two sons, his brother. Richard, still being a resident of England. Their father was by trade a blacksmith. John Humble was reared by his uncle, Mr. Richard Dixon, of England, and for a time attended the common schools. When he was only nine years old, however, he commenced working in the mines, which occupation he continued there until 1869, the year of bis coming to America. Arriving here, he located in Braidwood, Illi- nois, and engaged in mining. The following year we find him mining at Bloomington, Illinois, and in 1871 he returned to the old country for his family and brought them back with him. He continued in the mines at Bloomington until 1873, when we again find him mining at Braidwood. After coming to this country he advanced from the position of pit boss to that of superintendent of mines, finally becoming superintendent of the Albright Wilmington Coal Company's mines. In 1S86 he made a trip through California, Colorado and New Mexico, and upon his return came that same year to Bessemer, Michigan, where he has since resided. At that time there were very few houses in the town. November 22, 1886, he commenced to sink a shaft for the Anvil Mining Company at Bessemer, and continued it until February 11 of the following year, when he went to Wakefield to take charge of property and prospect for iron. Afterward he had charge of the East Anvil property at Bessemer. In the spring of 1888, in partnership with James and Joseph Johns, he took a contract at the Anvil mine, and together they operated the mine until October 18 of that year. Since that date he has been engaged in contracting, furnishing sewer pipe, brick, cement, etc, to the city. In the spring of 1892 Mr. Humble was elected City Marsha! by the Republican party, which position he has ably filled up to the present time. He was married in 1862 to Miss Isabel Patterson, a native of England, and they are the parents of six children, living, as follows: Frances J., Thomas W., Mary A. P., Albert, George and Justice M. Mr. Humble is identified with the Masonic order, having his membership in the blue lodge at Braidwood, Illinois; in the chapter at Bessemer, and in the commandery at Morris, Illinois. [Source: Memorial Record of the Northern Peninsula 1895]
Perhaps no man in this section of the state is more thoroughly conversant with the many details of iron mining than is Robert King, superintendent of the Hayes Mining company, of Ironwood, Michigan, for he has engaged in that work since 1884 and has been associated with the Hayes company for a period of forty-one years. A son of Robert and Mary (Welch) King, he was born in Scotland in 1860, but due to the death of his father and mother when he was but a small boy, he was reared by grandparents in his native land. Having attained his majority, however, he felt that opportunity for the ambitious man lay in the United States, and in 1884, he came to the United States, spending his first winter here at Tower, Minnesota. In 1885, he came to Hurley, Wisconsin, as shift boss and mine captain, remaining there until 1899. After spending two years at Ironwood, Michigan, Mr. King was returned to Hurley where he remained for a period of eleven years. Sometime during that period he reached the position of superintendent of the Hayes Mining company toward which he had been steadily advancing and in 1912, he returned to Ironwood, being located here since that year. His career with the Hayes concern has been an exemplary one, both from the standpoints of efficiency and ability and from that of loyalty to the organization with which he is connected. Among mining men, Mr. King is widely known, for he bears an enviable reputation for his proficiency and knowledge of mining methods. His wife, Margaret (Shines) King, who was born of Irish parents at Ontonagon, Michigan, and whom he married in 1893, was president of the Woman's club in 1924 and was elected to the board of education for a term of six years in 1920 and was re-elected to that office at the close of her first term. Mr. and Mrs. King are the parents of these four children: Loretta, who died at the age of four years; Mary Louisa, who graduated from the University of Wisconsin, performed research work for the government for five years at Washington, D. C., and is now teaching American history in the Ironwood schools; Loy, who is married and is a mining clerk; and Orlo A., who is in the employ of the Hayes Mining company. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
LANDERS, Thomas J.
Prosecuting attorney of Gogebic county, is a successful lawyer of Ironwood, Michigan, where he has been engaged in practice since 1922. He was born in that city, August 8, 1897, the son of John C. and Hannah (O'Leary) Landers, the former of whom was born at Eagle Harbor and engaged in mining until his death in 1918 at the age of fifty-two years and the latter of whom was born in Ireland and is now living in Ironwood at the age of sixty-three years, she being active in the Women's Catholic Order of Foresters. After attending the Ironwood graded schools and the St. Ambrose high school, Thomas J. Landers matriculated at Marquette university, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1917, taking courses in arts and sciences and law during the four years he spent at that institution. He then went to the University of Detroit to complete his law studies, graduating therefrom in 1922 with the degree of bachelor of laws. Returning to Ironwood, Mr. Landers entered practice and was appointed assistant prosecuting attorney under Harold J. Waples, and at the succeeding election, he was the successful candidate for the office of prosecuting attorney. He began a two-year term on January 1, 1925, and was re-elected in November, 1926. He has shown himself to be an able prosecutor, for he is not only painstaking in the preparation of his cases but is clear and forceful in argument. Mr. Landers is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Kiwanis club, and in politics he supports the principles of the Republican party. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
LYNCH, Jerry L.
Jerry L. Lynch is one of the prominent business men of Sault Ste. Marie, where he is secretary and treasurer of the Lynch Timber company, a well ordered corporation whose operations in connection with the lumber industry are carried on extensively, in both the United States and Canada. Mr. Lynch was born in the city of Niles. Berrien county. Michigan, March 26, 1876, and is a son of John C. and Anna Lynch, both natives of Ireland, where the former was born in 1839 and the latter in 1851. John C. Lynch was a loyal and gallant soldier of the Union in the Civil war and he and his wife were residents of Michigan many years. Mr. Lynch died in 1926, at Cheboygan, Michigan, his wife having passed away in the preceding year and both having been lifelong communicants of the Catholic church. Of the other children of the family the following brief record is available: Edward died in the year 1923; Stephen resides in Detroit, Michigan, and is engaged in the lumber business; Daniel is a resident of Buffalo, New York; and the two surviving sisters are Mrs. Wentz, residing in the state of Oregon, and Mrs. McKay, of Detroit, Michigan. The early education of Jerry L. Lynch was obtained principally in the schools of Bay City and Cheboygan, Michigan, and when he was a lad of sixteen years, in 1893, he became a lumber shipper for the firm of Martin & Silliman, of Cheboygan. He has been continuously associated with the lumber industry during the intervening period of more than thirty years, and has maintained his residence and business headquarters at Sault Ste. Marie since the year 1905. In 1923 he engaged in real estate operations in Florida, where he still has important interests along this line. He and his wife retain the ancestral religious faith, that of the Catholic church, he is a member of the Soo club in his home city, and is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. His wife, whose maiden name was Albertha M. Brisette, was born in Ontario, Canada, and was a child of one year at the time of the family removal to Chippewa county, Michigan, of which Sault Ste. Marie is the county seat, her father having been a railroad agent. Mr. and Mrs. Lynch have a fine family of seven children: Francis J., Jerry W., Constance L., Duane J., Fremont E., Reuel P., and Albertina M. Francis J. is engaged in the real estate business in the city of Detroit; Jerry W. has been a student in Georgetown university, District of Columbia; and Constance L. was graduated in a leading school of music in the city of Chicago. [Source: A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
J. A. McLEOD, an eminent physician and surgeon of Ironwood, Michigan, and a prominent factor in the growth and development of the town, is a gentleman of whom more than passing mention should by made in this work. Following is a resume of his life: J. A. McLeod was born in Lancaster, Glengarry county, Canada, November u, 1854, and is of Scotch descent. His grandfather McLeod was extensively engaged in raising sheep in Scotland, came to America when a young man, and in Montreal, Canada, acquired a large amount of property. He died while in the prime of life. At the time of his coming to America his son, Alexander, the father of our subject, was eleven years of age. The latter was reared in Canada and was a farmer by occupation. He died at the age of eighty-four years. The Doctor's mother, whose maiden name was Anna Wood, was a native of New York city. Alexander Wood, her father, was a merchant in New York, and during the Revolutionary war removed with his family to Canada, their location being in Lancaster. He reached the advanced age of ninety-six years. Dr. McLeod's mother was twice married: By her first husband, a Mr. Curry, she had five children,as follows: Johnson T., Joseph. Elizabeth. Jennie, and S. S.; and the children by her second marriage also were five in number, their names being A. A., a prominent railroad man of New York: Isabelle, deceased; Henrietta, wife of Dr. Norton, of California; Alexander, who died when young; and J. A., the youngest of the ten and the subject of this article.
Dr. McLeod was reared in Canada and received the greater part of his education there. He spent one year in the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor, completing his medical course in that institution and graduating in the class of 1878. After his graduation he was appointed surgeon of the Menominee Mining Company. He subsequently removed to Milwaukee and there practiced his profession for a number of years, until 1887, when he came to Ironwood, Michigan. Here he received the appointment of surgeon for the Metropolitan Iron and Land Company, and also for other companies, and in addition to this work has conducted a large general practice. Since his location here he has in many ways been prominently identified with the interests of the place. He is the proprietor of a drug store; is president of the Ironwood Stove Company, owning a half interest in the business; was one of the organizers of the Ironwood Electric Company, and served as one of its first officers; helped to organize and served as an officer of the Twin City Railway Company; was president of the Curry Hotel Company; was one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Ironwood, and served as vice-president of the same; and is now a stockholder in the People's Banking Company, which he helped to organize. In short, he is one the most enterprising and public-spirited men. and he generously extends his hearty support to all enterprises which, in his opinion, are intended to promote the welfare of the town. The Doctor is a member of the Wisconsin State Medical Society, the Milwaukee Medical Society, and the New York Medical Society.
Dr. McLeod was married in 1880 to Miss Isabel Prime, a native of Wisconsin and a daughter of O. B. Prime, now of Ironwood. They have had four children, three of whom are living,—Roderick C, Delia Jean, and John A., Jr.
Politically, the Doctor is a Democrat. He is not. however, a politician, although he takes an active interest in public affairs. For six years he served as a member of the Ironwood School Board, a portion of that time being its president. He has also served as a member of the City Council. Socially, he is identified with the Masonic order. He has a membership in the blue lodge and commandery at Ironwood and the chapter at Bessemer. Dr. McLeod is also prominently known as a member of the National Guards. He assisted in the organization of the Curry Rifles, an independent organization, and was first Captain of the company; and when this company was admitted to the National Guard and became a part of the Fifth Regiment, he was appointed surgeon of the regiment. In 1894 he was detailed as acting Brigade Surgeon of the Michigan National Guards. Thus in professional, business and social circles Dr. McLeod has high standing. Personally, he is a gentleman of pleasing address, always genial and courteous, and is as popular as he is well known. Much more might be said of him, but enough has already been given to serve as an index to his character. [Source: Memorial Record of the Northern Peninsula 1895]
MINKIN, John A.
Prominent heating and plumbing contractor of Ironwood, Michigan, was born in Finland, July 4, 1887, the son of John K. and Mary (Antinoja) Minkin, both of whom are natives of that country. John K. Minkin brought his family to the United States in 1888, settling first in the Copper country and then at Ironwood, where he and his wife now reside at the ages of seventy-four years and sixty-five years, respectively. John A. Minkin, after attending the graded schools of Ironwood, became a miner on the Gogebic iron range, work which he followed tor a period of eleven years. Leaving this section of the country, he worked in the silver mines of New Mexico for two years, and the succeeding five years found him working in various ranges throughout the country. At the expiration of that time, Mr. Minkin returned to Ironwood and proceeded to learn the trade of plumber, and at this work he continued until 1924, when he invested his capital in a heating and plumbing establishment of his own. The ensuing two years have been sufficient to demonstrate conclusively the fact that he is one of the aggressive business men of Ironwood, for already he has developed a business that is among the leaders in its field in this section of the county. Keenly alive to the civic problems that confront his community, Mr. Minkin was elected supervisor of the Seventh ward, serving in that capacity for a term of two years with great credit to himself and with benefit to that part of the city. On September 30, 1911, Mr. Minkin was united in marriage with Henna Ruutila, daughter of Gust and Wilhelmina Ruutila, of Ironwood, and to Mr. and Mrs. Minkin have been born six children, Frances, Leo. Earl Lloyd, June, and Robert. Mr Minkin is a member of the Knights of Kaleva and the Odd Fellows, while his wife maintains membership in the Ladies of Kaleva and the Woman's club. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
Architect and engineer of Ironwood. Michigan, has to his credit some of the important buildings of this city and the surrounding sections of the county, and though he has been engaged in business alone since 1923, he has already come to be regarded by the people of Ironwood as one of the able men in his field. Born in Sweden, May 11, 1893, he is a son of Lars and Mary (Gustafson) Nelson, both of whom were born in that country and still reside there, and attended the schools of Halmstad. Sweden, and from 1909 to 1910 attended a technology school in that country. Coming to the United States in 1911, Mr. Nelson located at Ironwood, Michigan, where until 1915 he was employed as a draughtsman and estimator with a local concern. Wishing to continue his education, he entered Augustine college. Rock Island, Illinois, where he completed the technical studies begun in Sweden. Returning to Ironwood in 1917, he became general manager for the General Construction company. In August, 1918, however, he entered the army and served in the Engineer corps until March, 1919, at which time he returned to Ironwood and resumed his interrupted duties as manager of the General Construction company. Until 1921, he continued in that work, but being a registered civil engineer in Michigan and wishing to be working for himself, he entered partnership with Derrick Hubert to carry on a general engineering and architectural practice. This arrangement existed until 1923. since which time. Mr. Nelson has been practicing alone. That he has made a success of the venture is witnessed by the fact that he is the designer of the Masonic Temple and the Seaman building at Ironwood and the high school at Wakefield among other buildings of every character. Not only gifted in design. Mr. Nelson possesses the practical viewpoint of the engineer, so that the buildings designed by him combine the best features of architectural beauty and practical layout. On July 22, 1919. Mr. Nelson married Agnes Erickson, daughter of Gustafson A. and Barotites Erickson, of Ironwood, Michigan, and to this union have been born two sons, Roderick A., aged four years, and Bertram G., two years old. Mr. Nelson is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, is a member of the various Masonic bodies and of the Elks, and is a communicant of the Lutheran church. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
Coroner of Gogebic county, is one of the prominent and well liked undertakers of the city of Ironwood, Michigan. A native of Sweden, he was born March 15, 1869, the son of John and Anna (Nystrom) Nyberg, both of whom were born in Sweden. After the death of his wife on February 19, 1889, at the age of fifty-four years, John Nyberg came to the United States and located at Iron wood, where he died October 29, 1909. Charles Nyberg received his early education in the schools of his native country and came to the United States in June, 1887, coming directly to Ironwood. Subsequently he attended embalming schools in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and when he had satisfied the requirements as a licensed embalmer, he opened a furniture and undertaking establishment of his own in 1909 at Ironwood, as Nyberg & Oksa. This continued seven years, then he sold to Mr. Anderson and went to Duluth and remained one year. He opened his present place in August, 1922. His establishment is as modern as he can make it and attesting his place in his calling is the fact that he was elected coroner of Gogebic county in 1924 and was re-elected in 1926 for two years. Mr. Nyberg married Charlotte Larson on May 16, 1891, she having been born in Sweden and coining to the United States in 1889, and to this union have been born these children: Werner E., who is working on the Soo Line railroad; Agda, who married L. F. Miller, a coal and lumber dealer of Bessemer, Michigan; Clarence, who is in the employ of the Youngstown Steel & Tube company, of Chicago; and Roy, who is an engineer in the employ of the McKinney Steel company at Bessemer, Michigan. Mr. Nyberg is active in the affairs of the Masonic order, and in politics he supports the principles of the Republican party. [History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
ORMES, Eugene Allen
Conspicuous among the enterprising and progressive men who have been influential in promoting the industrial prosperity of Gogebic county is Eugene Allen Ormes, of Marenisco, who is here extensively engaged in mercantile pursuits, and is also serving as postmaster. A son of Melvin B. Ormes, he was born September 8, 1864, at Hancock, Houghton county, Michigan, coming from substantial New England stock. His grandparents, natives of Vermont, spent their last years in New York state. Melvin B. Ormes was born and bred at Castleton, Vermont, and as a young man went to New York state, where he lived until 1863. Coming with his family to Michigan in that year, he located in Houghton county, settling there before the railroads had penetrated into the wilds of the Upper Peninsula, the people coining here by way of the Lakes, or with teams, the mails, in the winter seasons being transported with dog teams. The country was covered with heavy timber, and he, with characteristic energy and foresight, embarked in the lumber business, first establishing a sawmill at Hancock, and later building one at Menominee, Michigan, and another at Marinette, Wisconsin. Going to Unity, Wisconsin, in 1876, he remained there about eight years. In 1884 he located in Gogebic county, establishing a sawmill near the present site of Marenisco, which was then a dense wilderness, with not a building of any description near. Engaging in the manufacture of lumber under the firm name of the M. B. Ormes Company, he continued it successfully until his death, at the age of sixty-five years. He married Mrs. Jane (Stewart) Scott, who was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and as a child of seven years was brought by her parents to Canada, where they spent their remaining days. She married first John Scott, a contractor, who had charge of Hie construction of sections of several railroads passing through Ohio, his home being in Hamilton, Ohio, where he died, leaving his widow with four children, Archie, Walter, Aleck, and Katie B. Of her union with her second husband, four children were born, namely: Martha, Mary, Eugene Allen, the subject, of this brief sketch, and Melvin L. The mother died at the ripe old age of eighty-four years.
As a youth, when not in school, Eugene Allen Ormes assisted his father in the mill, being afterwards employed in different kinds of labor. In 1899 he began his mercantile career, after a year's experience as a clerk opening a general store at Marenisco, where he has since built up an extensive lucrative business as a merchant, having by his square, upright dealings gained good will and the patronage of the people of this vicinity,
Mr. Ormes married August 8, 1887, Carrie C. Muzzey, who was born in Springfield, Marquette county, Wisconsin, June 5, 1862, of New England ancestry. Her father, Ira Muzzey, was born May 6, 1805, in Springfield, Sullivan county, New Hampshire, and at the age of fifteen years began life as a sailor, going on a whaling voyage. Subsequently settling in Charlestown, Massachusetts, he worked in the Navy Yard for awhile, and then settled in Rutland, Vermont, where he lived until 1854. In that year, accompanied by his family, he moved to Wisconsin, traveling by way of the Lakes from Buffalo to Milwaukee, and from there to Marquette county, where he was a pioneer settler, with teams. After renting land for awhile, he purchased a timber tract in Westfield township, erected a small frame house in the midst of the woods, and immediately began clearing and improving the land, in course of time having a large part under cultivation. There he continued his agricultural pursuits until his death, May 29, 1884. Mr. Muzzey was twice married. He married first, Hannah Evans, who was born in Massachusetts, and died in Rutland, Vermont, leaving six children, namely: Ira, Stephenia, Celestia, John C, Winslow, and Lucia. Mr. Muzzey married second, Nancy Temple, who was born in Berkshire, Franklin county, Vermont, a daughter of Erastus and Olivia (Gray) Temple, and they became the parents of three children, namely: Mr. and Mrs. Ormes are the parents of two children. Harold Eugene and Mildred Carrie. A stanch Republican in his political views, Mr. Ormes has served his fellow-townsmen wisely and well in various positions. He was township treasurer two years; township clerk four years; a member of the County Board of Supervisors eight years; and since 1907 has served as postmaster at Marenisco. Fraternally Mr. Ormes is a member of Bessemer Lodge No. 390, F. & A. M.; of Minerva Chapter, No. 122, R. A. M.; of Iron wood Commandery, No. 46, K. T.; of Bessemer Lodge, K. of P.; and of Marenisco Lodge, M. W. A. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ormes are members of the O. E. S. [A History of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan and Its People By Alva L. Sawyer 1911 The Lewis Publishing Co Chicago IL]
PATRICK, John B.
Mayor of Ironwood, Michigan, and prominent in business circles there as a member of the firm of McKevitt, Chappell, Patrick Furniture company, is one of the influential and widely known citizens of that community. His father, Henry E. Patrick, was born at Binghamton, New York, and after coming to Illinois, became vice-president of the C. M. Moderwell Coal company, of Chicago, where he was a charter member of the Union League club. He died at Oak Park, Illinois, in 1923 at the age of seventy-one years, and his wife, who was Jennie B. Babcock and was born in Marengo, Illinois, a daughter of a captain of the 95th Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the Civil war, died in 1924 in her seventieth year. Born at Marengo, Illinois, April 28, 1879, John B. Patrick graduated from the Oak Park, Illinois high school in 1898 and then took a course of study in college, graduating from the University of Wisconsin in 1902. In the fall of the same year, Mr. Patrick came to Ironwood to become principal of the high school here, a work in which he continued some three years. Relinquishing his teaching work, he became associated with the Oliver Iron Mining company in 1907, an organization with which he still remains. In 1919 he organized the McKevitt, Chappell, Patrick Furniture company. He has since been identified with this company and has thus become known as one of the able business men of Ironwood. When the city of Ironwood adopted the city manager form of government on March 2, 1925, Mr. Patrick was elected a city commissioner on March 7, taking the oath of office on April 13, that year. Due to the fact that he had been elected by the largest plurality of any of the members of the city commission, he was chosen mayor by that body for a term of two years, a position which he still holds. He has shown himself to be an exceedingly able commissioner and has at all times bent his every effort to promoting the welfare of the community which he serves. Mr. Patrick was married on April 25, 1906, to Prances L. Hartigan, a native of Wisconsin, and to this union have been born four children: Frances D., a student at the University of Michigan; Henry Eugene, fourteen years old; John D., thirteen years of age; and Margaret Mary, aged eleven. Mr. Patrick is a member of the Elks, Knights of Columbus, Rotary club, Gogebic Country club, Gogebic Oliver club, and Beta Theta Pi college fraternity, while his wife is a member of the Woman's club and is active in music circles of Ironwood. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
Joseph Pecard, a hardware merchant of Bessemer. Michigan, dates his identity with this city from 1885. In 1890 he engaged in the hardware business here in partnership with a Mr. Jeffery. subsequently purchased the interest of his partner, and has since carried on the business alone. He is also largely interested in real estate here. Mr. Pecard was born in Canada, December 1, 184O, son of Joseph and Mary (Schameno) Pecard, both natives of Canada, where they passed their lives and died. They had a family of five children, Joseph being the third born. He started out in life on his own responsibility when he was only eleven years of age and was employed by the month inja lumber business and afterward at farming. In 1862 he tendered his services to the Union army, and, as a member of Company C. Second Battalion New York, went to the front; was in the service three years, going in as a private and being promoted to the rank of Sergeant. Among the important engagements in which he participated were those of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg. In the latter part of 1864 he was wounded in the right thigh by a piece of shell and was taken to the hospital near Philadelphia, where he remained for some time. He was discharged at New York Harbor in 1866. After the war, we find Mr. Pecard in the far West. For about three years he was engaged in freighting and teaming in Wyoming, Colorado and Utah. Then he spent two years in Wisconsin, in the lumber business, and in 1872 came to northern Michigan, locating at Menominee, where he continued the same occupation two years longer. After that he turned his attention to the hotel business, which he followed about ten years, at different times having charge of a number of houses. He built a hotel in Quinnesec, and after operating it a short time returned to Menominee, where he was successively engaged in the grocery and feed, hardware, and livery business. From Menominee he came to Bessemer in 1885, as above stated, and has since been connected with the interests of this place. Mr. Pecard is a member of the Maccabees and also of the Grand Army of the Republic. He is ranked with the representative business men of the town and is held in high esteem by a large circle of friends. [Source: "Memorial Record of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan." Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895]
TRETHEWEY, Clifford A.
Municipal judge of Ironwood, Michigan, established his law practice here more than two years ago, and during that time he quickly acquired a large clientele and won the name of being one of the astute lawyers of the county. He was born at Ironwood, April 9, 1900, the son of Benjamin C. and Polly (Brooks) Trethewey, both natives of England, the former of whom was a pioneer of this city and died August 31, 1913. After graduating from the Ironwood high school, Clifford A. Trethewey attended the University of Michigan in 1918-19 and then went to the Detroit College of Law from which he graduated with the degree of bachelor of laws in 1923. In September, that year, he was admitted to practice at the Michigan Bar and until April, 1924, was engaged in the practice of law at Detroit, when he surrendered his work in that city to open offices at Ironwood, Michigan. Here, he threw himself into his work with such energy and ability that he soon attracted the favorable attention of the people of the city, with the result that he was elected municipal judge and took office for a term of four years on July 1, 1925. His work on the bench of that court has more than justified the decision of the voters, for his decisions have been marked by their strict impartiality and clarity. Mr. Trethewey married Grace Robinson, who was born in Washburn, Wisconsin, of English parentage, graduated from the Washburn high school, and then graduated from the nursing school of the St. Joseph hospital, judge Trethewey is post commander of the American Legion, having served in the United States Navy in the World war, and is a member of Sigma Delta Kappa, college law fraternity. He and his wife attend the Presbyterian church, and in political allegiance he is a Republican. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
Has not only developed one of the fine jewelry stores of Ironwood, Michigan, but has also rendered signal service to the city in various public offices to which he has been elected. Born in Norway, January 7, 1884, he is a son of Morton and Emily (Jacobson) Wick, both natives of that country, the former of whom died in 1924 at the age of seventy years and the latter of whom still resides there. After receiving his education in the schools of Norway, Mr. Wick, in 1903, came to the United States, and .so firmly convinced was he that here lay excellent opportunities for the ambitious man, he immediately declared his intention of becoming a citizen and secured his full American citizenship in 1911. In the meantime, he had spent two years at Superior, Wisconsin, and then worked at Duluth, Minnesota, as a watchmaker until 1909. In that year, he returned to Superior to become manager of a jewelry store at that place, continuing in the work until September, 1911. He then decided to locate at Ironwood, Michigan, and until 1916 was employed in a jewelry house of this city. By this time, he had accumulated sufficient capital and experience to allow him to establish a business of his own, and in 1916, he opened the jewelry store which he has since successfully conducted, winning the name of being one of the aggressive and shrewd retail store managers in the city and county. No less significant have been his efforts in behalf of the community in which he resides, for he was elected alderman in 1918 and again was elected a member of the commission that drew up the charter giving the city a commission form of government in April, 1925, was elected one of the first city commissioners under the revised system of government, and is a member of the county board of supervisors. In each of these positions, he has borne himself in a manner that is a credit to himself as a public servant. Mr. Wick married Martha J. Mutch, of Hillsboro, Wisconsin, on August 8, 1920, and to this union have been born two children, Jessie M. and Alicia R., aged five years and one year, respectively. Mr. Wick is a member of the various Masonic bodies and the Commercial club, while his wife maintains membership in the Eastern Star and the Woman's club. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926)]
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails