Gogebic County, Michigan
Gogebic county was set off from the southerly and westerly portions of Ontonagon, by act of the Legislature, approved February 7th, 1887, and the organization was completed in pursuance of the provisions of such act, by the election of the proper county officers, on the first Monday in April, 1887. At the sumo election, by the vote of the electors, the county seat was located at Bessemer. Owing to the very recent erection of this county, no statistics or other information respecting its horticultural character is at hand, such information, as well as its census statistics, being included in those of Ontonagon county. It is supposed to lie southward of the copper bearing belt, and to include the southwestern portion of the iron region. [History of Michigan Horticulture: Being a Part of the Seventeenth Annual ...By Theodatus Timothy Lyon, 1887]
Gogebic County was organized by an act of the legislature approved February 2, 1887, and Bessemer, despite the rivalry of other communities, was declared the county seat. A $75,000 brownstone courthouse was erected, and in 1889, Bessemer, under the spur of its position as the seat of justice of the county, assumed its status as a city. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman (1926) Pg 55]
Bessemer, the county seat, was incorporated as a village in 1878 and as a city in 1889, and finds its chief claim to fame in the many producing iron mines in the vicinity. The opening of the Colby mine on the site of explorations conducted by Captain N. D. Moore in 1880 gave Bessemer its real start and additional settlers came to the community when the Chicago & Northwestern railroad projected its line through this place in 1884.
Ironwood, the largest city in the county, has a population of 17,000 and has iron mining as its chief industry, several mines being located within the corporate limits of the city. It was incorporated in 1889 as a city. It has three hospitals and three banks, and its educational system has equipment that is exceeded by no city of its size in Michigan, having a manual training school that was erected at a cost of $40,000 in addition to a $200,000 central school and a $133,000 high school. The city has a daily and two weekly papers.
Wakefield, settled in 1866, was incorporated as a village in 1877 and as a city in 1919, and has a population of 6,000. The Wakefield Advocate is the newspaper, and iron mining is the principal industry of this city as of the rest of the county. [A History of the Upper Peninsula by George N. Newman, 1926, Pg 98]
HISTORY BOOK: "Historic Michigan, Land Of The Great Lakes" - On our State Website (will open in a separate window)
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails