Stevens Thomson Mason
Governor (1837 - 1840)

 The first Governor of Michigan, was a son of Gen. John T. Mason, of Kentucky, but was born in Virginia, in 1812. At the age of 19 he was appointed Secretary of Michigan Territory, and served in that capacity during the administration of Gov. George Porter. Upon the death of Gov. Porter, which  occurred on the 6th of July, 1839, Mr. Mason became Acting Governor. In October, 1835, he was elected Governor under the State organization, and immediately entered upon the performance of the duties of the office, although the State was not yet admitted into the Union. After the State was admitted into the Union, Governor Mason was re-elected to the position, and served with credit to himself and to the advantage of the State. He died Jan. 4, 1843.  The principal event during Governor Mason's official career, was that arising from the disputed southern boundary of the State.  Michigan claimed for her southern boundary a line running east across the peninsula from the extreme southern point of Lake Michigan, extending through Lake Erie, to the Pennsylvania line. This she claimed as a vested right, a right accruing to her by compact. This compact was the ordinance of 1787, the parties to which were the original 13 States, and the territory northwest of the Ohio; and, by the succession of parties under statutory amendments to the ordinance and laws of Congress - the United States on the one part, and each Territory northwest of the Ohio, as far as affected by their provisions, on the other. Michigan, therefore, claimed it under the prior grant, or assignation of boundary.

Ohio, on the other hand, claimed that the ordinance had been superseded by the Constitution of the United States, and that Congress had a right to regulate the boundary. It was also claimed that the Constitution of the State of Ohio having described a different line in dispute, Congress had thereby given its consent to the line as laid down by the Constitution of Ohio. This claim was urged by Ohio at some periods of the controversy, but at others she appeared to regard the question unsettled, by the fact that she insisted upon Congress taking action in regard to the boundary. Accordingly, we find that, in 1812, Congress authorized the Surveyor-General to survey a line, agreeably to the act, to enable the people of Ohio to form a Constitution and State government. Owing to Indian hostilities, however, the line was not run till 1818. In 1820, the question in dispute underwent rigid examination by teh Committee on Public Lands. The claim of Ohio was strenuously urged by her delegation, and as ably opposed by Mr. Woodbridge, the then delegate from Michigan. The result was that the committee decided unanimously in favor of Michigan; but, in the hurry of business, no action was taken by Congress, and the question remained open until Michigan organized her State government.

The Territory in dispute is about five miles in width at the west end, and about eight miles in width at the east end, and extends along the whole northern line of Ohio, west of Lake Erie.  The line claimed by Michigan was known as the "Fulton line," and that claimed by Ohio was known as the "Harris line," from the names of the surveyors, the territory was valuable for its rich agricultural lands; but the chief value consisted in the fact that the harbor on the Maumee River, where now stands the flourishing city of Toledo, was included within its limits. The town originally bore the name of Swan Creek, afterwards Port Lawrence, then Vestula, and then Toledo.

In February, 1835, the Legislature of Ohio passed an act extending the jurisdiction of the State over the territory in question; erected townships and directed them to hold elections in April following - It also directed Governor Lucas to appoint three commissioners to survey and re-mark the Harris line; and named the first of April as the day to commence the survey.  Acting Governor Mason, however, anticipated this action on the part of the Ohio Legislature, sent a special message to the Legislative Council, apprising it of Governor Lucas' message, and advised immediate action by that body to anticipate and counteract the proceedings of Ohio.  Accordingly, on the 12th of February, the council passed an act making it a criminal offense, punishable by a heavy fine, or imprisonment, for any one to attempt to exercise any official functions, or accept any office within the jurisdiction of Michigan, under or by virtue of any authority not derived from the Territory, or the United States. On the 9th of March, Governor Mason wrote General Brown, then in command of the Michigan militia, directing him to hold himself in readiness to meet the enemy  in the field in case any attempt was made on the part of Ohio to carry out the provisions of that act of the Legislation. On the 31st of March, Governor Lucas, with his commissioners, arrived at Perrysburgh, on their way to commence re-surveying the Harris line. He was accompanied by General Bell and staff, of the Ohio Militia, who proceeded to muster a volunteer force of about 600 men. This was soon accomplished, and the force fully armed and equipped. The force then went into camp at Fort Miami, to await the Governor's orders.

In the meantime, Governor Mason, with General Brown and staff, had raised a forte 800 to 1200 strong, and were in possession of Toledo. General Brown's Staff consisted of Captain Henry Smith, of Monroe, Inspector; Major J.J. Ulman, of Contantine, Quartermaster; William E Broadman, of Detroit, and Alpheus Keith, of Monroe, Aides-de-camp.  When Governor Lucas observed the determined bearing of the Michigan braves, and took note of their number, he found it convenient to content himself for a time with "watching over the border." Several days were passed in this exhilarating employment, and just as Governor Lucas had made up his mind to do something rash, two commissioners arrived from Washington on a mission of peace. They remonstrated with Gov. Lucas, and reminded him of the consequences to himself and his State if he persisted in his attempt to gain possession of the disputed land by force. After several conferences with both governors, the commissioners submitted propositions for their consideration.

Governor Lucas at once accepted the propositions, and disbanded his forces. Governor Mason, on the other hand, refused to accede to the arrangement, and declined to compromise the rights of his people by a surrender of possession and jurisdiction. When Governor Lucas disbanded his forces, however, Governor Mason partially followed suit, but still held himself in readiness to meet any emergency that might arise. Governor Lucas now supposed that his way was clear, and that he could re-mark the Harris line without being molested, and ordered the commissioners to proceed with their work.

In the meantime, Governor Mason kept a watchful eye upon the proceedings. General Brown sent scouts through the woods to watch their movements, and report when operations were commenced. When the surveying party got within the county of Lenawee, the under-sheriff of that county, armed with a warrant, and accompanied by a posse, suddenly made his appearance, and succeeded in arresting a portion of the party. The rest, including the commissioners, took to their heels, and were soon beyond the disputed territory. They reached Perrysburgh the following day in a highly demoralized condition, and reported they had been attacked in an overwhelming force of Michigan militia, under command of General Brown.

This summary breaking up the surveying party produced the most tremendous excitement throughout Ohio. Governor Lucas called an extra session of the Legislature. But little remains to be said in reference to the "war."  The question continued for sometime to agitate the minds of the opposing parties; and the action of Congress was impatiently awaited. Michigan was admitted into the Union on the condition that she give to Ohio the disputed territory, and accept in return the Northern Peninsula, which she did.

Portrait and biographical album of Ionia and Montcalm counties, Mich. 1891

An epidemic of Asiatic cholera became prevalent in the Lower Peninsula in 1834 and raged to such an extent that seven percent of the people of Detroit were carried off by its ravages within a single month.

One most lamentable result of the epidemic was the death of Territorial Governor Porter, which occurred July 5, 1834. It was especially hazardous during the period when experienced and cool heads were needed in the formation of a state government. Upon the death of the governor, Secretary (Stevens Thomson) Mason became acting governor, and at a meeting of the territorial council, held in September of that year (1834), steps were taken to provide a commission for the settlement of the southern territorial boundary with the states of Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, but this effort resulted in no accomplishment.

On the 26th of January 1835, congress passed an act in contemplation of the admission of Michigan as a state and fifed the date of election as April 4, 1835 and the convention as the second Monday in May of that year.

Ohio sent to the legislature a message asserting jurisdiction over the territory south of the mouth of Maumee Bay  and asking legislation to authorize the taking of possession and control thereof. Governor Mason gave orders to General Joseph W. Brown, who was in command of the Michigan militia to be ready to resist any attempt on the part of the state of Ohio to actually possess this strip and the Michigan territorial council appropriated money wherewith the executive might enforce the laws of the territory. The officers of Michigan within that strip of land asserted their rights and resisted intrusion by the officers from Ohio.

The rights of Michigan to the territory in question were, so far as the boundary line was concerned, perpetually fixed and established by the ordinance of 1787, which had become in fact a contract, or compact, which congress had no right to abrogate. That ordinance had provided for the establishment of that line, the line had been established in accordance therewith and it became fixed and unalterable as that ordinance had been construed. Notwithstanding the fact that Michigan unquestionably had the right to that disputed territory there were extended debates in congress regarding it while the question of admission of Michigan as a State was bending before that body. Everyone felt that, without the consent of Michigan, the power of congress to give the territory to Ohio was at least doubtful.

Under the circumstances there was but one method to be pursued by the friends of the Ohio claimants, and that was to keep Michigan out of the Union until she surrendered to the demands of Ohio.  Indiana and Illinois were alike interested  with Ohio in the establishment of a boundary line, and therefore brought influence to bear to defeat the rights of Michigan. During the proceedings for admission the constitutional convention met at Detroit, in May 1835 and resulted in the submission of a constitution for the approval of the people. In October 1835 an election was held, the constitution was ratified and Stevens T. Mason was elected Governor.

 Source for the above: Exerpts of The Northern Peninsula of Michigan - 1911 by Alvah L. Sawyer

Stevens Thomson Mason was instrumental to Michigan's development, leading the territory to statehood in 1837 and serving as the first elected governor. Yet Mason, like so many other early leaders, was not a native Michiganian. He was a Virginian. Born at the family estate "Raspberry Plain" on October 27, 1811, he had a family that was rich, powerful, and well placed. His paternal grandfather, for whom he was named, was a United States Senator and his family counted among its friends and neighbors James Monroe. Only fate and some misfortune brought Mason to Michigan. If his life had proceeded normally, he would have been an influential Virginian. But that was not his destiny. Early on his father, John T. Mason, developed an overwhelming desire to go West. When the opportunity came in 1812, John moved his family (Elizabeth his wife, Mary, his two-and-one-half year old daughter and his infant son, Stevens T.) to Lexington, Kentucky. Here was a place with new challenges and new opportunities. Here John T. hoped to make his own fortune. Though the family arrived with little money, John had a William and Mary degree, a large library, and an intense desire to succeed. He soon put that determination to work. By 1815, he had made enough money to buy a three-hundred acre estate, naming it "Serenity Hall." Indeed, all seemed safe and serene for the Mason family in Kentucky.

It didn't remain that way for long. While John T. Mason was a successful lawyer, he was inept at business.  By 1819, he had lost his fortune in worthless schemes; Serenity Hall was sold. Eight years later he was nearly penniless. The whole family was disrupted by John's financial disasters, particularly so, young Stevens T. Because of his father's financial plight, he was forced to quit his studies at Transylvania, trading his books for a grocer's apron. Just when the outlook was bleakest, they were rescued. With the aid of an old friend, John Mason secured an appointment from President Andrew Jackson. Mason was to become Secretary of Michigan Territory. Although he did not relish the job, the pay was $1,200 per year, enough for the family to live on comfortably. So, packing their bags and bidding farewell to Kentucky, young Stevens T. and his father moved to Detroit the summer of 1830. The rest of the family followed in the fall.

 To the Mason family, Detroit was a shock. It was not the genteel, settled atmosphere that they had been used to. It was a bumptious backwoods town filled with rough, unfashionable people with an open sewer winding its way through town. Young Tom was a shock to Detroit, too. He fancied himself as a bit polished, a cosmopolitan who happened to be stranded in a backwoods village. He drew gaping stares as he sallied forth to explore the town, arrayed in his skin-tight black broad cloth trousers and flowing coat with cane in hand.

It was young Stevens, dandy and all, who protected his father from the political schemes and intrigues which whirled about him in Detroit. Unaccustomed to back room politics, John T. Mason was adrift in unfamiliar waters. Young Stevens protected him, doing his job, and keeping him out of the way of anti-Jackson forces. This period was good for young Stevens. He learned the subtleties of public administration, began to recognize the names of influential people, and gained the favor of Territorial Governor Lewis Cass. Tiring of his post and longing for something constraining, John T. Mason looked again to Washington for relief in mid-1831. That relief came in the form of another presidential favor. This time he was sent on a mission to Mexico by President Jackson. Searching about for his replacement, Jackson looked no further than young Stevens T. Mason. At the tender age of nineteen years, eight months, and twenty-eight days, Stevens T. Mason was appointed Territorial Secretary on July 12, 1831.

At the same time, John T. Mason left his post, Lewis Cass, the governor of the Territory, resigned to become secretary of war on the Jackson cabinet. IN his place a new governor was appointed. He was a gentleman farmer by the name of George B. Porter. Though he nominally served from August 6, 1831, until his death on July 6, 1834, he was only titular head of the territory. His long absences, punctuated by infrequent visits, left young Mason in charge as acting governor. Left to his own devices, Mason matured quickly, as 1832 proved. during that year, with Porter absent, Mason not only galloped throughout the countryside seeing the state through a major cholera epidemic, but helped raise forces to fight in the Black Hawk War.

He also came of legal age in 1832, casing his first ballot as a voter on October 23 for Austin E. Wing. Though his party's candidate lost the election, the campaign produced a slogan which helped bring Stevens t. Mason to America's front pages. The Ann Arbor Emigrant coined the phrase, haughtily referring to Wing as "protégé of the Boy Governor." Though Mason despised this epithet, it remained with him as long as he held office in Michigan. It so angered him that when he discovered the editor of the Ann Arbor newspaper on a Detroit street, Mason attacked him and gave him quite a beating with his fists. This story was reprinted widely in New York and Boston and Washington. City editors got it out of the Ann Arbor Argus, a rival paper whose editor chuckled, declaring that the :...stripling, the Boy Governor, if you please, was man enough to give him a sound cuffing." Mason was man enough to do other things too.  HIs star was on the ascendancy in 1833, and with Governor Porter generally absent, he ran the Territory. Indeed, few people had ever seen Porter. Mason was addressed as "Governor" both publicly and privately. He sent bills to the Territorial Council, signed appointments, and reported to the various bureaus in Washington. Not governor in name, he was governor in fact.

Young Mason expanded his activities outside territorial government. During that time, he received several honors. He was elected alderman-at-large in Detroit, was chosen for the very exclusive Detroit Young Men's Society, and was elected to the fire brigade. It was a good summer, too. Cholera, though devastating areas all around Michigan, never arrived in the Territory. The circus, trapped by the outbreak of cholera elsewhere, remained in Detroit. Mason who had diligently read law with a group of friends at the barroom in Uncle Ben's Steamboat Hotel bar, was admitted to practice law on December 11, 1833.

Mason was not alone in changing. Michigan grew also. Her citizens first voted to petition Congress for admission in 1832. When neither House or Senate acted upon this petition, Mason took matters in his own hands and instigated a territorial census. Completed and communicated to the Territorial Council on September 18, 1834, it determined that 86,000 people lived in the Lower Peninsula, more than the 60,000 required for statehood by the Ordinance of 1787. Mason responded by asking the Council to call for a constitutional convention to institute a state government. They did so, calling for such a meeting in May and June of 1835. At this point, an old dispute concerning the border between Michigan and Ohio arose. It stretched back to the Ordinance of 1787 which provided for the eventual division of the eastern portion of the Northwest Territory into states to the north and south of "an east and west line drawn through the southerly or extreme of Lake Michigan." In 1803, Ohio had entered the Union with the Ordinance Line of 1787 as her northern border. The difficulty was that Michigan and Ohio interpreted that line differently. Ohio following the line established by William A. Harris, claimed that this line angled a bit northward, just enough so that it came out on the northern tip of Maumee Bay. This line placed Toledo in Ohio. Another line going due east from the southern end of Lake Michigan did not take a dip northward. Called the Fuller line after its surveyor, John A. Fulton, Mason supported this survey because it placed Toledo in Michigan.

The truth of the matter was that the Toledo Strip, as this tapering piece of land became known, belonged to Michigan. The southerly end of Lake Michigan did lie to the south of Toledo, but in Washington during the 1830s, political considerations could bend surveyors' quadrants. Ohio had voting legislators in Congress, sympathetic congressmen from Indiana and Illinois, and no intention of relinquishing her control of Toledo. Mason's call for a constitutional convention produced a series of events culminating in the Toledo War. The first step was taken by Governor Robert Lucas, who appointed a commission in early 1835 to erect prominent marks all along the Harris line. Mason replied with a bill in the Territorial Council making it unlawful for any person not a citizen of Michigan to exercise official functions anywhere within its borders on pain of a $1,000 fine and five years imprisonment. The bill, signed on February 12, 1835, aroused indignation in Ohio and Washington. It gave Mason the power of arrest and a whacking penalty which Congress knew he was planning to use against the engineers then at Toledo finishing the locks of the new Maumee Canal.

Though Richard Rush and Benjamin Howard were sent from Washington as mediators, they failed in their mission. Tempers flared, and bloodless battle began in April of 1835 after Michigan learned that Ohio authorities intended to occupy the Toledo Strip and organize it into a new county. Mason called out the Michigan militia and ordered them to arrest all Ohio functionaries who might try to extend this political jurisdiction into the disputed territory. A series of raids on Toledo commenced, prompting both Wolverines and Buckeyes to vote enormous $300,000 defense appropriations. Neither presidential commissioners nor the intersession of ex-Governor Cass succeeded in cooling off Mason, and the raids continued during the summer of 1835. At last, in August, President Jackson, who could not risk the loss of Ohio's electoral votes, removed Mason from office. But, early in September, before the arrival of his replacement, Mason directed 1,000 Michigan militiamen on a final foray into Toledo, hoping to prevent a scheduled session of the Ohio Court of Common Pleas.  They failed in this attempt, for a hasty session of the court, valuing discretion above honor, had held a midnight court and beat a hasty retreat south of the Maumee.

Though Mason had been replaced by John Horner, he was not worried. Mason's popularity was greater than ever. During May and June of 1835, a constitutional convention had met and produced a document giving Michigan a Bill of Rights, a bicameral State Legislature, a State Superintendent of Public Instruction, and suffrage for adult white males.  Voters approved this constitution in October of 1835 and elected Mason as governor. When Michigan's newly chosen representatives and senators arrived in Washington in December, they were not permitted to assume their seats. Congress refused to admit them or Michigan to the Union until the border question was settled. By 1836, Mason was convinced that Michigan would have to yield on the question of the Toledo Strip to be admitted into the Union.

Congress had told him as much when, at the end of June, it had specified that Michigan's constitution would have to be changed. That change would give Toledo and the disputed territory to Ohio. In exchange, a large amount of land, which was the western Upper Peninsula, would be given to Michigan. Though most did not view this Upper Peninsula territory as valuable as Toledo and its potential harbor, Mason accepted his defeat. He accepted the defeat because he needed money -- money to run the state and money to being his internal improvement program. If Michigan were a state, there would be plenty of money, for every recognized state received a five percent commission on the sale of federal land. To Michigan, tottering on the brink of bankruptcy, that commission would have been over half a million dollars a year. But Michigan was not a recognized state. Recognition hinged on accepting the western Upper Peninsula and giving up the Toledo Strip. Realizing he had been out maneuvered, Mason called a convention together in September of 1836 for the purpose of accepting congressional terms. Surprisingly, they failed to accept the required terms. Desperately, Mason called another meeting in December of 1836 which later became known as the Frostbitten Convention. These delegates produced the desired results, and subsequently on January 26, 1837, Michigan was admitted to the Union.

With the bitter defeat swallowed, Mason moved ahead with his plans to develop Michigan. In his first term as governor, he developed several programs including the creation of an educational system, the location of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, the passage of a banking law, and the establishment of an internal improvement program.  Shortly after Mason's reelection in 1837, Michigan began to feel the effects of an economic panic that had gripped the entire nation. Caught in a pinch and bereft of eastern funds, the State was unable to finance its ambitious program of internal improvements, and state banking legislation, in large part promoted by Mason, precipitated a disastrous banking crisis.

IN accord with the Constitution of 1835, the State Legislature passed an 1837 law providing for the state construction of internal improvements. The act authorized Mason to fund the program by selling bonds for $5,000,000 to eastern creditors. Mason, in part, had helped secure his reelection by negotiating this loan in September of 1837. Less than a year later, the arrangements had fallen apart, and Mason was forced to spend several weeks in 1838 making new arrangements. This time the Michigan certificates were offered at less than their face vale. Both institutions, the Morris Canal and Banking Company and the United States Bank, failed, leaving Michigan with a debt of over $2,000,000 for which no returns were received. Coinciding with the demise of the program to finance internal improvements was the collapse of Michigan's banking system. In 1837 the Legislature under the direction of Mason had passed a free banking law which permitted any twelve me to establish a banking association. Though the original act required specie subscription the Panic of 1837 prompted Mason to suspend the payment of coin for notes. Soon currency became scarce; frauds abounded. Though Mason and the Legislature repealed the act in 1839, the damage had been done.

During his business trips to New York to finance his internal improvement program, Mason had met Julia Phelps. He married her on November 1, 1838. While yet on his honeymoon, Mason received letters which furrowed his brow,. The political situation was becoming worse in Michigan; his program was falling apart, and his old political nemesis, William Woodbridge, was on the ascendancy. Not wanting to subject either himself or his bride to the political criticism he knew was coming, Mason desperately looked for a way out. He soon found it. Mason decided that he could make a graceful exit on the reasoning that he had served two terms and that it was contrary to national precedent to serve a third. He decided not to became a candidate for reelection. Though facing an early retirement from politics, Mason's connections and the fact that he had been governor should have guaranteed him a lucrative law practice.  Expecting only the best, he joined with an old friend, Kintzing Pritchette to form the law firm of Mason and Pritchette. Even the election campaign of 1840 buoyed his spirit. Though not running, Mason was received everywhere with open arms and standing ovations.

But the best did not happen. Realizing that a Whig victory was eminent, Mason left Michigan before the 1840 election to handle a client's claim in New York City. Mason had hoped that the smashing Whig tide which propelled his old rival William Woodbridge into the governorship and William Henry Harrison into the White House would spell and end to political allegations in Michigan. It did not. Not content with this political victory, Woodbridge sought to destroy the credibility of the "Boy Governor." To do this, Woodbridge drummed up a charge that Mason had accepted money from one of the companies handling the Five Million Dollar Loan. So thorough was Woodbridge that he even secured a false confession from an associate of Mason, stating the the ex-governor had indeed taken a bribe. Though Mason returned to defend himself, the task was hopeless. He had no access to official records, and the newspapers, for a large part, ignored his defense. Thus, Mason was unable to prove his innocense.

Mason left Michigan in 1841, knowing that he would never return. The only place he could go was New York city where his wealthy father-in-law Thaddeus Phelps lived. Mason had hoped to establish a law practice quickly, but these hopes were dashed. On his first interview at the office of the New York bar Association, he was told that admission to practice law in Michigan was not good enough. He would have to pass the New York Bar examination. That winter, Stevens T. Mason, ex-governor of Michigan, spent in poverty, bent over his law books. When he finally passed the exam in 1842, Mason hoped for the best. But even that did not help. His cases were few, his clients poor, and he was forced to deliver lectures before Lyceum societies to augment his meager income. Just as it seemed he was about to be introduced to influential clients, he caught cold.

The doctor who tended Mason thought nothing of it. He should have. Stevens T. Mason had contracted pneumonia. By the time his father rushed to his side with adequate aid, it was too late. Stevens T. Mason, late of Michigan, slipped silently away, dying on the morning of January 5, 1843. For a long time even Mason's body remained in exile. He was laid to rest in Marble Cemetery in New York City.

Source for the above: Biography Written by Patricia J. Baker Michigan's Former Governors

In 1842, Mason left Michigan for New York City, where his wealth father-in-law, Thaddeus Phelps, lived. Mason tried to establish a law practice there, but struggled to build a clientele. He caught pneumonia in the winter of 1842 and died at the age of thirty-one during the night of January 4, 1843, though his date of date is sometimes listed as January 5.

Mason was initially interred at New York Marble Cemetery, but on June 4, 1905, his remains were brought from New York to Detroit, accompanied by his sister Emily Mason, then age 92;' his daughter, Mrs. Dorothy Mason Wright; three grandsons; and several grand-nephews and great grandchildren.  Services were conducted by Rev. David M. Cooper, who had known Mason as Governor, 70 years earlier. Other notable attendees included then Governor Fred M. Warner, and the mayor of Detroit, George P. Codd. His remains were interred at Capital Park, the site of the old Michigan Capital. Later, a bronze statue of Mason on a granite pedestal was erected above the grave. The statue was created by sculptor Albert Weinert and depicted the young Mason in a confident pose.

On September 3, 2009, officials announced that the park would be reconfigured and the monument moved several yards. But when the crews began to excavate the site, they discovered no grave. After four days of searching, the vault containing the remains was located on June 29, 2010, a few yards south of its original site. It is believed the grave was moved from its 1905 location in 1955 to make room for a bus terminal.

ON the 199th anniversary of his birth, October 27, 2010, Mason was re-buried for the fourth time in a newly-built vault in the pedestal beneath the bronze statue designed by Albert Weinert. Mason's great-great-great-grandnephew, who resides in Grosse Isle, Michigan, witnessed the re-internment. The current Dean of the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, where funeral services were held for Mason in 1843, officiated at the ceremony. Prior to the re-internment, Mason's remains were transported to Lansing where they lay in state in the Capital Building. Mason was only the third Michigan governor to lie in state in the Capitol.

Source for the above: Wikipedia




Photo-Portrait & Biographical album of Ionia & Montcalm Co. MI. 1891

Copyright © Genealogy Trails  

All Data on this Site is © Genealogy Trails, with rights reserved for original submitters.