Acme Michigan

Grand Travese County

The township of Acme embraces the following territory: All of fractional township 28 north, range 10 west, the west half of sections 5, 8, 17 and 20, and all of sections 6, 7, 18 and 19, township 28 north, range 9 west, also sections 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11 and 12, township 27 north, range 10 west; also the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter, the west half of the northwest quarter, and the west half of the southwest quarter of section 5, all of sections G and 7, township 27 north, range 9 west. The township was organized by the board of supervisors in January, 1891, John Pulcipher being the first supervisor.

There are three villages and postoffices in this township. Acme village is a station on the Pere Marquette Railroad, seven miles east of Traverse City. It was settled about 1855, and now has a saw-mill, a saw and planing-mill, a shingle-mill, a general store, a woolen-mill, blacksmith shop, etc.

There are in the township three saw-mills and two shingle-mills. There is a town hall in this village, built at an expense of one thousand dollars, and also a Methodist Episcopal church and a Masonic lodge. The village has a population of about two hundred.

(Sprague's history of Grand Traverse and Leelanaw counties, Michigan edited and compiled by Elvin L. Sprague and Mrs. George N. Smith 1903)



Acme Stony Hollow Hut - Contributed by Paul Petosky
Biography of Stanley Kozlowski - Original Owner
Biography of Wanda Kozlowski Fettig - Original Owner
Biography of Betty Goss - Prior owner

18 September 1954 - Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Kozlowski entertained in the Stony Hollow Hut Saturday evening in honor of their 17th wedding anniversary. Guests included Mr. and Mrs. Harry Sorenson, Mr. and Mrs. Ivan Van Epps, Mr. and Mrs. Dick Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Larkin, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Knoll, Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Cottom, Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Hansen, Mr. and Mrs. Mike Farrell, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Votey and Bob Hall


Al and Hap Derstein - New Owners
Record-Eagle Traverse City Newspaper - Ad July 8, 1960


Betty Goss - New Owner May 6, 1964

New Owner Jeanne and Dick Kluzak 4 July 1968

Under New Managers Gary & Kitty Swan 9 July 1969



Acme is a small rural settlement situated in the town of East Bay, and surrounded by a rich and delightful farming country. It has some important manufacturing interests and the usual business interests of a country village. In the following sketch of Mr. Hoxsie are some facts connected with this point:

L. S. Hoxsie, farmer, East Bay Township, was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., in 1813. Moved with his parents to Cayuga County, same state, in 1817, and came to Lenawee County, Mich., in 1833. Owned and carried on a farm in that county till 1864. He then came to Whitewater, now East Bay, and bought a farm where Acme postoffice now stands. The first town meeting in East Bay was held on his farm. He has laid out a village at Acme, and sold several lots. A number of good houses have already been built. There was a saw-mill on his farm when he bought the place, which was built, in 1858. About the year 1874 he rebuilt the mill, which he sold to his son John in the spring of 1884, who is building a woolen-mill near the saw-mill. Has been justice of the peace and highway commissioner several years. Married in 1837 to Mary Underwood, a native of New York They have eight children. His son Albertus T. is postmaster at Acme, and keeps a general stock of dry goods, groceries, etc.

We find the following mention of the mill of Hoxsie & Scripture, in May, 1884: The new woolen mill of Hoxsie & Scripture, at Acme, has been completed and will bo ready for work by June 1st. The building is 30x50 feet, three stories high. The machinery is of the best make, and Mr. Scripture's large experience in this work is a gusrantee that satisfaction will be given in all cases. The new firm are prepared to card rolls, spin single yarn, make stocking yarn, and to manufacture cassimeres, tweeds, full cloth, and plain and checked flannels, etc., etc."

H. A. Langworthy merchant, Acme, was born in Erie County, Penn., in 1840. Came to Old Mission, Grand Traverse County, Mich., in 1851, with his parents; remained there until 1854, when his father moved to Williamsburg, Whitewater Township, and built a saw-mill, which he run till 1857. The subject of this sketch opened a grocery in Traverse City in 1870, which he carried ou till April, 1882. Then moved to Acme, where he is selling dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, etc. Married in 1800 to Auna E. Williams, a native of England. They have three living children.

The Traverse Region - H. R. Page & Co., 1884.

HOME
Visit the Michigan State Page

Visit Genealogy Trails
Visit our National Genealogy Trails Site

All data on this website is Copyright 2016 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.